Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Caught Stealing

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

I thought this was the best episode.
No awkward romance stuff in spite of the lie detector scenes.

I LOLed when West was confessing about his taste of crème brûlée.
And then the resolution of his freezing behavior and judgmental know-it-all attitude was a big relief.

I guess Currie Graham's character may wind up doing some lawless stuff--which I am Not looking forward to. Why do rich people risk everything?

• Love 7

No Jane's Addiction?

I would question why a cop would call others on shift to see another cop sleeping, take pictures that could have leaked to the public, and embarrass that cop and partner. She should have been reprimanded.

What was the point to have Nolan and then the rest of the rookies stand in the front to discuss gratuity/gifts? Grey has some unusual methods.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lopez has taken bribes in the past.

I wonder if the embryos were damaged.

It's always the yoga instructor that comes between a relationship.

Bishop ran the plates and got a response in one second. Very Impressive.

Why weren't their cameras recording the entire time they were watching the money? 

I missed it, how would the police know the exact amount to know what was missing? Wasn't it an estimate from Ortiz? He should have just told them there was $750, 000 in the house from the start, he and Franco could have pocketed the difference and told the cartel the cops have the million in custody. They had the money and still messed it up. TV criminals are getting dumber and dumber.

Shouldn't someone independent administer the polygraph?

There must be someone in LAPD given out personal information. Last week, the stalker found Nolan's address and this week the gang found Lucy.

Nolan looked bad running up the hill. Lucy was right asking him what took him so long (joking or not)!

Edited by mxc90
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 6
36 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Why weren't their cameras recording the entire time they were watching the money? 

Excellent question, and I am embarrassed to admit it didn't occur to me, but: Because plot.

36 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Nolan looked bad running up the hill. Lucy was right asking him what took him so long (joking or not)!

I can run up a hill better than that and I'm an arthritic, 65-year-old cancer survivor.
At least, on a good day I can.
Maybe NF was injured? 

• Love 3

I didn't like this episode.  Last weeks was so much better.  They hired Terrence Winter who wrote some of the best Castle episodes.   Maybe that will help.

Nathan is starting to gain weight,  A critic said it won't work if he isn't in shape.  He needs to get in shape.  He must be incredibly stressed but its starting to show. JMO.

6 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I can run up a hill better than that and I'm an arthritic, 65-year-old cancer survivor.
Maybe NF was injured? 

I'm happy to read you beat it!

You should give NF running tips!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

You should give NF running tips!

Hah! Not really. But 2 of my daughters could. The only reason I can run Very Short distances uphill is because I have the build of a mosquito. Heh.

5 minutes ago, break21 said:

Nathan is starting to gain weight,  A critic said it won't work if he isn't in shape.  He needs to get in shape.  He must be incredibly stressed but its starting to show. JMO.

Yeah. That's what I was thinking/noticing/wondering. 
Surely he can afford to hire a personal trainer for the set, right?
And it's easy for me to 'just say no to sugar,' but I'm not hanging out on a set with cake pops and whatnot all day.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Excellent question, and I am embarrassed to admit it didn't occur to me, but: Because plot.

Maybe NF was injured? 

May I take a moment to say how happy I am to read you, cancer survivor!!!!

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if one of Nathan's injuries had something to do with his poor running.  Back, knee, anyone?

• Love 5

"Friends help friends clean up crime scenes"!  That line only works on Ray Donovan.

Lucy took advantage West's nice nature. Poor guy couldn't say no in that spot. Why not call Nolan or Bradford? She probably made him pay for the poke (used the "I left my purse at home" line).

9 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Maybe NF was injured? 

There were two different times in this episode where he appeared to be limping slightly when he walked. It may have been a minor injury or his knee was acting up again.

• Useful 1

I enjoy this show even though I did wonder why the cops didn’t find people leaving the area they were going to raid with duffle bags suspicious. Oh, well. Reasons I guess and I’m not going to nitpick. I enjoy the cast and how the characters interact with each other. The episodes are always entertaining with humor. The Rookie runs triumphant circles (complete with joyous leaps) around A Million Little Things.

• Love 12

This episode reminded me a bit of that Castle episode where they discussed if winning a lottery would change you and what you would do with the money.  But that conversation amongst the rookies about what they would do with a lot of money was not all that interesting or illuminating.  I did like the entitlements theme, the letter vs the spirit of the law, and the whole creme brulee saga lol, but this is also not a show that's going to show cops really sliding down the slippery slope. There were a few funny lines in the polygraph scene.  Buttock clenching a real thing, I guess?  I guess the Captain knows that cops lie to protect each other, hence she knew to make it only about the missing money.  I actually thought the cops who came in to count the money might be suspect since they just walked into that room, didn't show ID and just had a tape recorder and what looked like video and that got the rookies out of the room as they took it from there.  I wonder if it's a more secure process than that in real life. 

Incidentally, I was just rereading about the US Govt flying over $12bn in cash (!!) to Iraq after the invasion and then basically dispersed it without any accounting or accountability. Which is shocking.  People were literally getting duffel bags of millions of dollars in cash.  Even more shocking, the US officials in charge of this admitted they had no idea where the money went but said it didn't matter because it was Iraqi money (from their oil) and not US taxpayers' money.  How extremely irresponsible imo and no one really had to bear any responsibility.

Anyway, back to the show. I thought the West/Lopez storyline was particularly done well and their final scene was a good one.  Good thing Lopez called West out on his hypocrisy when she lied to protect him/give him another chance on his first (?) or first few days on the job when she didn't even know him well.  And good thing West was open to learning about different ways to be a good cop, not just following his Dad in everything.

Oh and yes, I too noticed that Nolan/Nathan's uphill running form was not exactly stellar lol.  Especially in an emergency situation.  Honestly, I think Nathan's never been that athletic even in his younger days, despite his physique, and I get the sense he's not keen on running because of his knees etc.  His running in the pilot was also not the best.  It was just more noticeable here.  But as someone who's started taking running more seriously lately, I can tell you uphill sprints are a bitch. I would not enjoy doing many takes of that either!  Nolan/Nathan is believable to me as a cop with the other physical stuff so maybe I can excuse the running if they don't show too much of him doing it.  The whole shootout in the hills with super cop Lucy was a bit unrealistic to me but I guess a big shootout is par for the course for this show.

Did not know Nolan was a Jonathan not a John. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Bishop ran the plates and got a response in one second. Very Impressive.

Naa.   It's nothing compared to a 4-second fingerprint search!  With fingerprint images flicking past on the screen, no less...

• Love 4

This was a fun episode.   The murder scene becomes cop's new cheap apartment was done on Bones, except it was a house for Hodgins & Angela.  But I thought it was both funny and gross that Chen had to clean up the scene.  I liked Nolan's "where's the mystery" comments, which I saw as a little wink and nod to Castle.

I worked in the public sector for a while, and though this was many many years ago even back then police officer addresses were exempt from public record requests.  So I can't imagine they'd be accessible today, and on-line even. 

I really really really hope they aren't going to go down the path of Nolan's friend being a crook.  Just let him be the normal run of the mill obscenely rich friend.  Please. 

• Love 10

I had fun w/ this episode. Not a fan of creme brulee, so I wouldn't have been tempted by that dessert. Now, if it was a chocolate mousse.... It's a good thing Lopez and the defense attorney broke up last week. If not and he heard that she got the date to increase the bill to put it over the amount so she could charge the guy with a crime, I don't think he'd have taken it well.

Having the three rookies up at the front of role call discussing gifts really put a lampshade on this one, but still it was nice seeing how they were dealing with the issue.

1 hour ago, madmaverick said:

The whole shootout in the hills with super cop Lucy was a bit unrealistic to me but I guess a big shootout is par for the course for this show.

True, but I'd rather see Lucy be super cop than complete damsel in distress.

1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I worked in the public sector for a while, and though this was many many years ago even back then police officer addresses were exempt from public record requests.  So I can't imagine they'd be accessible today, and on-line even. 

Maybe exempt from public records request, and even if not exempt, you wouldn't get a same-day response, but I'd be surprised if their addresses weren't available through other means. If they have loans, accessing credit reports, hell, just paying for access to one of a number of sites could let you find out all sorts of information about practically anyone. I work in the public sector and, in my state, anyone w/ a computer can find out my and any other employee's decent-sized salary w/ just a few mouse clicks.

13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

It's always the yoga instructor that comes between a relationship.

They're the new traveling salesman or secretary.

13 hours ago, mxc90 said:

Do they have to turn the cameras on or are they always running? Sometimes it looks like they switch them on when they leave the car. Which begs the question of why all three would have turned the cameras off, or if they did b/c the raid was over, why none of them switched their camera back on when they were assigned to babysit the money.

1 hour ago, madmaverick said:

Buttock clenching a real thing, I guess?

Not sure, but 

Spoiler

Nina used this method to defeat a polygraph on The Americans.

And, according to a July 2018 article in "The Daily Mirror," (which I can't link to at the moment), the answer is yes. The same guy was interviewed by another paper in June 2017 (in fact, the language is almost the same, so it looks like The Daily Mirror plagiarized the article).  

• Love 4

My buttocks thank you for that info, Loandbehold.  Though the The Daily Mirror are not a trustworthy paper. They have no problems with plagiarism or with making up things entirely.  

And yes, chocolate mousse for the win over creme brulee.  I'm going to have to say No to hospital pudding though. 

Edited by madmaverick
  • Love 3

From what I understand about lie detector tests, the secret to "beating it" is to get the widest variation of response to the basic questions (name, address, age, etc.) This way when you actually respond to the "real" questions, even if you lie, it might still fall w/in the proper range.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, BlakesMomma said:

There were two different times in this episode where he appeared to be limping slightly when he walked. It may have been a minor injury or his knee was acting up again.

So why wouldn't they use a body double?

6 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I actually thought the cops who came in to count the money might be suspect since they just walked into that room, didn't show ID and just had a tape recorder and what looked like video and that got the rookies out of the room as they took it from there.  I wonder if it's a more secure process than that in real life. 

I thought that was really suspicious too. I guess we were supposed to think that.

• Love 5

Since Chen is a super cop, I liked the fact that she still can fall asleep on a night shift like a human being.

They aired out of sequence, but I still remember the big tease about how the rookies were going to have to reveal their secrets. Then it was like

"Did you cover for another cop?"

"Yes."

"Was it about the money?"

"No."

"Okay, let's move on."

Also, lie detectors are unreliable and cops use them to trick dumb criminals into telling the truth.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, madmaverick said:

My buttocks thank you for that info, Loandbehold.  Though the The Daily Mirror are not a trustworthy paper. They have no problems with plagiarism or with making up things entirely.  

And yes, chocolate mousse for the win over creme brulee.  I'm going to have to say No to hospital pudding though. 

They looked like Jell-O pudding cups (or an equivalent) rather than pudding made by the hospital.

• Love 1

This was an okay episode but I admit, I don't get why the cops didn't wonder about the guys leaving the place just as they were about to raid it. I would think they would have called off the raid if someone saw them but I don't know about that part. 

Thought it was okay but I admit, I would think most cases the police shouldn't take things for free. 

The crooked undercover would not have been able to run out of that ambulance if they had put IVs in him. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, madmaverick said:

I actually thought the cops who came in to count the money might be suspect since they just walked into that room, didn't show ID and just had a tape recorder and what looked like video and that got the rookies out of the room as they took it from there.

Yes, I thought that, too.  The rookies should have been called out for not confirming their identities.

• Love 11

Why did the crook who stole the money go after the rookies?  He knew the rookies didn't have the money.  If it was to throw off the other crooks from suspecting he had the missing money, even if they killed all three rookies and got away with it - an unlikely scenario - they still wouldn't find the money, because the dirty cop and his accomplice had it.

At that point, might not the other crooks come to the same realization the rookie did, that their buddy who was leaving the apartment with a large satchel is the one who stole the money?  

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, buckboard said:

Why did the crook who stole the money go after the rookies?  He knew the rookies didn't have the money.  If it was to throw off the other crooks from suspecting he had the missing money, even if they killed all three rookies and got away with it - an unlikely scenario - they still wouldn't find the money, because the dirty cop and his accomplice had it.

At that point, might not the other crooks come to the same realization the rookie did, that their buddy who was leaving the apartment with a large satchel is the one who stole the money?  

There was 1 million dollars there, $250,000 was missing. The crooks set it up so it looked like the cops stole the money. The cops were to be an example that nobody can steal from the cartel and get away with it.  

On 2/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

I guess Currie Graham's character may wind up doing some lawless stuff--which I am Not looking forward to. Why do rich people risk everything?

Because they rarely lose everything. Between corruption and wealth, they feel invulnerable.

On 2/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, mxc90 said:

Though it was for plot purposes - this is an example of where the cameras protect the cops - I would hope in a real world situation they'd have the sense to have them turned on.

On 2/19/2019 at 9:34 PM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I also didn't see how any one of them would have been able to smuggled out a bunch of money 1/3 the size of that huge pile.  The other two would have had to be in on it: it would take many garbage bags worth of money to equal $250,000.

I believe the scenario they proposed was that the rookies had stashed the money somewhere in the house, and then hauled it out after everyone was gone. (and according to the writers, a dufflebag will hold $250,000,). I've never seen that much, so I don't know.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

(and according to the writers, a dufflebag will hold $250,000,). I've never seen that much, so I don't know.

"Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it" (pagetutor.com/trillion/).

I guess I could easily fit $250,000 in the purse I bought at Target because it was just big enough to contain a file folder. Anyone want to try filling it up?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 2/19/2019 at 11:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

I hope not.  I hope he is just what he's been presented so far: Nolan's rich BFF who is basically decent.

On 2/20/2019 at 11:17 AM, madmaverick said:

I thought the West/Lopez storyline was particularly done well and their final scene was a good one.  Good thing Lopez called West out on his hypocrisy when she lied to protect him/give him another chance on his first (?) or first few days on the job when she didn't even know him well.  And good thing West was open to learning about different ways to be a good cop, not just following his Dad in everything.

Of the the three storylines between each of the rookies dealing with issues extant to freebies/money, I liked West's the best.  Not only did it end on a great note, but it built on the personality and backstory they gave him really nicely.  I'd always thought he was the least developed of the three, but in the past few eps they've given him a lot more depth.  I think they are doing a good job with showing how someone who thinks they know it all because they observed it all their lives from the outside, but they really don't because they haven't experienced it from the inside. Not only that but his continuous breakdown over the creme brulee was funny.

Overall I liked this episode quite a bit.  Thank goodness  it is tv so the bad guys have to monologue a bit and hesitate before pulling a trigger cuz that is the only thing that saved Lucy.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

"Believe it or not, this next little pile is $1 million dollars (100 packets of $10,000). You could stuff that into a grocery bag and walk around with it" (pagetutor.com/trillion/).

I guess I could easily fit $250,000 in the purse I bought at Target because it was just big enough to contain a file folder. Anyone want to try filling it up?

It looked like the money was mostly a mix of 20s and 100s with some 50s thrown in. As a former cashier, I call bullshit on stacks of circulated bills being so neat and compact.    Did the cartel goons iron the bills as they were counting?  People fold and wad up money.  It gets crinkled and doesn't sit in flat stacks.  I'm not an expert in drug money, but one would assume that large quantities of drug money that need to be moved are pre-laundered and would be the circulated bills taken in from drug purchases.  Once it is laundered it could be moved around electronically via legal means, they wouldn't pull out stacks of uncirculated bills from the bank and move them around.  I do appreciate that they had a mix of denominations though.  And yeah, I realize this isn't the only or most unrealistic detail on this show.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

It would have been easy to prove the cops didn't take the money. They could compare the video of the money before it was stolen to videos when it was about to be counted, does the pile look exactly the same.

Yes, but for plot purposes, not one of the Rookies thought of even turning on their body cams for even a moment. I wish there had been at least a brief discussion of this with maybe some policy reason for not turning them on, like maybe because there were no members of the public present.

• Love 5

There were (at least) 8 other gang members in the house. They didn't see Franco packing his bags with cash before the police arrived? Obviously, Franco didn't include them on the tip the police were coming, so they must be loyal to the cartel. It would have been easy for the cartel visit jail, ask one who was last around the missing cash or left before the cops arrived and they would have pointed to Franco.

The undercover cop and Franco didn't think this through. Now the cop will be sharing his pudding with Bill Cosby. He should have never given an amount to the police.

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 4
On 2/20/2019 at 10:49 AM, taurusrose said:

I enjoy this show even though I did wonder why the cops didn’t find people leaving the area they were going to raid with duffle bags suspicious. Oh, well. Reasons I guess and I’m not going to nitpick. I enjoy the cast and how the characters interact with each other. The episodes are always entertaining with humor. The Rookie runs triumphant circles (complete with joyous leaps) around A Million Little Things.

That got me too. They way the police just kept going and didn't give them a glance. Guys with duffel bags? Bad guys could have flanked them, pulled guns out of those bags and mowed them down. Not good LAPD!

I enjoy the show too and realize that I need to let things go. 😆

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

So far, here's the unofficial list of cops not in the Rookies' circle abused by the show (Yes. I'm bored at this time)

1. Two detectives (working with Bradford's wife) shot in the elevator. I don't remember if one or both died.

2. Cop divorcing his wife, kidnaps his son, goes on OJ type chase to the mall.

3. The undercover cop this episode. Also, did he murder the guy or was it self defense?

4. Should I add Bradford's wife?

I guess West's father made it through clean (so far).

Edited by mxc90
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
On 2/21/2019 at 12:44 PM, yourmomiseasy said:

Did the cartel goons iron the bills as they were counting?  People fold and wad up money.  It gets crinkled and doesn't sit in flat stacks.  I'm not an expert in drug money, but one would assume that large quantities of drug money that need to be moved are pre-laundered and would be the circulated bills taken in from drug purchases.  Once it is laundered it could be moved around electronically via legal means, they wouldn't pull out stacks of uncirculated bills from the bank and move them around.

Well, if they're laundering the money, they might as well iron it while they're at it. (Yes, I know that's not what "laundering money" means. It's just what the phrase always makes me think of.)

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

West should not have apologized to Lopez.  Obviously, her ethics are slightly murky, and it's disappointing. 

Three rookies running after a gunfight with no vests. Smart. 

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop with Chen lying to her superiors, looks like it's starting to fall.  If nothing else, at least the show remembers its plot points. 

• Love 3
On 2/21/2019 at 6:22 AM, Clanstarling said:

(and according to the writers, a dufflebag will hold $250,000,). I've never seen that much, so I don't know.

I have-- I was once a bank teller in a downtown bank. And then there was the time we new tellers got a tour of the Vault where the money went before destruction. (Paper money gets manky and banks turn it over to the Royal Mint.)

If it was all in 20s, we're looking at 12,500 bills. That's 125 bundles of 100. Each a little less than 2" thick, because those would be used bills.  As a single stack it would be 20 feet high, but three stacks high and eight stacks long - ummm- I'm  dysnumeric so how tall would the stack be?

I chose 20s because tha's what Canadian ATMs spit out. Fives are common, but tens are not. (We have one and two dollar coins only). 

But 50s are also pretty common these days. Would junkies be paying in 50s ? Or in 100s? That would reduce the size of the stolen stash.

Nathan said in a pre-season interview and has repeated since, that he does have a double for the running, because of his bad knees.

• Love 4
31 minutes ago, femmefan1946 said:

Nathan said in a pre-season interview and has repeated since, that he does have a double for the running, because of his bad knees.

So, not using a body double and deliberately(?) including a shot of Nathan (struggling) to run up a hill means either

1. there will be an upcoming plot point about his fitness
  2. the director and film editor think Nathan needs a reality check about this part
  3. the director, film editor, and likely the entire crew adore Nathan so much that they can't see it
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
On February 21, 2019 at 12:44 PM, yourmomiseasy said:
On February 21, 2019 at 9:38 AM, shapeshifter said:

It looked like the money was mostly a mix of 20s and 100s with some 50s thrown in. As a former cashier, I call bullshit on stacks of circulated bills being so neat and compact.    Did the cartel goons iron the bills as they were counting?  People fold and wad up money.  It gets crinkled and doesn't sit in flat stacks.  I'm not an expert in drug money, but one would assume that large quantities of drug money that need to be moved are pre-laundered and would be the circulated bills taken in from drug purchases.  Once it is laundered it could be moved around electronically via legal means, they wouldn't pull out stacks of uncirculated bills from the bank and move them around.  I do appreciate that they had a mix of denominations though.  And yeah, I realize this isn't the only or most unrealistic detail on this show.

Still, 5-10 of my Target purses would easily fit in a duffle bag.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, femmefan1946 said:

I have-- I was once a bank teller in a downtown bank. And then there was the time we new tellers got a tour of the Vault where the money went before destruction. (Paper money gets manky and banks turn it over to the Royal Mint.)

If it was all in 20s, we're looking at 12,500 bills. That's 125 bundles of 100. Each a little less than 2" thick, because those would be used bills.  As a single stack it would be 20 feet high, but three stacks high and eight stacks long - ummm- I'm  dysnumeric so how tall would the stack be?

I chose 20s because tha's what Canadian ATMs spit out. Fives are common, but tens are not. (We have one and two dollar coins only). 

But 50s are also pretty common these days. Would junkies be paying in 50s ? Or in 100s? That would reduce the size of the stolen stash.

24 spaces would allow for 5 stacks high (with 5 stacks in his pockets) at about 10" high. The pile would be 18" by 20" by 10." You could probably get that in a large backpack.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So, not using a body double and deliberately(?) including a shot of Nathan (struggling) to run up a hill means either

1. there will be an upcoming plot point about his fitness
  2. the director and film editor think Nathan needs a reality check about this part
  3. the director, film editor, and likely the entire crew adore Nathan so much that they can't see it

4. The body double is a major diva and refuses to work when the temperature is above 72.

5. The body double's other job is being a bail bondsman and was out of town (with his cousin and their friend Jody) pursuing a bail jumper and couldn't make the scene in time. (Of all the shows that were rebooted, where's this one?)

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
47 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

4. The body double is a major diva and refuses to work when the temperature is above 72.

5. The body double's other job is being a bail bondsman and was out of town (with his cousin and their friend Jody) pursuing a bail jumper and couldn't make the scene in time. (Of all the shows that were rebooted, where's this one?)

6. The body double's elbows are in splints so he couldn't run.

7. The body double is in unconscious, in a coma, in intensive care with a heart monitor beeping.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
47 minutes ago, auntlada said:

6. The body double's elbows are in splints so he couldn't run.

7. The body double is in unconscious, in a coma, in intensive care with a heart monitor beeping.

8. The body double no longer supports Nike (in honor of Zion) and refuse to run in them. His New Balance didn't arrive in time.

9. The body double won the Super bowl bet and Nathan had to run.

10. The body double ran an errand earlier in the day and now to be told to run for Nathan put him in a foul mood.

Edited by mxc90
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 2/19/2019 at 10:12 PM, threebluestars said:

That could actually be a very interesting story line. Most cops his age are probably not in patrol and can likely get away with a bit of extra weight, but he's a rookie, in an active position ...

I remember when the North Hollywood bank robbery went down we saw these gray haired SWAT officers that I recognized from  TV and movies as extra non speaking gunmen in their workout clothes and vest and now the old style (mid 80s to early 2000s) army helmets rescuing people. Over on CBS's SWAT half of the front line SWAT officers are around or over 50. The police force is not the military with the get promoted up or be put out policies  and plenty of LAPD, with no mandatory retirement age, officers  spend their entire careers in a patrol car with two strips on their sleeves.

20 hours ago, newyawk said:

Three rookies running after a gunfight with no vests. Smart. 

It wasn't the time for waiting for vest. Either Nolan and West were going to try to save Chen or they were going to stay home having done their duty by calling 911.

• Useful 1
4 hours ago, Raja said:

It wasn't the time for waiting for vest. Either Nolan and West were going to try to save Chen or they were going to stay home having done their duty by calling 911.

Sure. It was still a stupid move, because uniforms had already been called.

On 2/22/2019 at 5:25 AM, mxc90 said:

Two detectives (working with Bradford's wife) shot in the elevator. I don't remember if one or both died.

One died, one lived.

Edited by jhlipton