Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E15: Sparkling Banter and a Failing Steel Town

paulvdb

Christy is the only one without plans on Valentine's Day, so Bonnie takes her on a mother-daughter date. Also, Marjorie's attempt to have a quiet night in is ruined when everyone calls on her for help.

Airdate: February 14, 2019

I really like Andy and Jill together but I’m glad it wasn’t an happy ending yet. Pairing them together is a cliche but at least he is the one who is stable and she is the mess. I loved that he was willing to walk away from someone who doesn’t see his value.

I was really hating Bonnie and Christy in the beginning but ended up really liking where it went. Once they broke out of their pattern of blame and defensiveness there was some real growth for both of them.

I do wish Christy would have acknowledge that she is doing the same thing to Bonnie that Violet did to her. It is interesting and realistic that Christy could have the exact same conversation with Violet.

Edited by Guest
4 hours ago, Dani said:

I really like Andy and Jill together but I’m glad it wasn’t an happy ending yet. Pairing them together is a cliche but at least he is the one who is stable and she is the mess. I loved that he was willing to walk away from someone who doesn’t see his value.

I was really hating Bonnie and Christy in the beginning but ended up really liking where it went. Once they broke out of their pattern of blame and defensiveness there was some real growth for both of them.

I do wish Christy would have acknowledge that she is doing the same thing to Bonnie that Violet did to her. It is interesting and realistic that Christy could have the exact same conversation with Violet.

I honestly don't think that will ever happen as Chuck Lorre seems to want to forget that Christy ever had kids. When people complained about not seeing Violet and Roscoe, he gave us an episode in which Violet basically said she didn't want her mother in her life and wouldn't care if she fell off the face of the earth.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I had no idea until I came here and saw the thread title that Andy said "failing steel town." I thought he said something about beer from a steel toe - even after rewinding and listening again.

I heard steel town but that's because I live close to Pittsburgh.  LOL

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

I honestly don't think that will ever happen as Chuck Lorre seems to want to forget that Christy ever had kids. When people complained about not seeing Violet and Roscoe, he gave us an episode in which Violet basically said she didn't want her mother in her life and wouldn't care if she fell off the face of the earth.

Did they ever say where Roscoe is? Did they mention it when they visited Violet a while back?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Beantown Gal said:

Did they ever say where Roscoe is? Did they mention it when they visited Violet a while back?

I think we’re supposed to assume he is still living with Baxter and visiting Christy on weekends. When Christy and Bonnie were robbed it was mentioned that his stuff wasn’t taken. 

I hope we're not done with Andy yet either. But I'm not sure how I feel about him telling Jill he considers himself "a catch." It's nice that he knows his own worth, but it may be slightly egotistical of him to think of himself that way. He should have known there would be baggage along with dating someone so much richer than he is. I don't blame him for feeling hurt because she pretended she wasn't on a date with him, but walking out on her was kind of mean. He could have finished that date then not asked for a second one.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blakeston said:

I had no idea until I came here and saw the thread title that Andy said "failing steel town." I thought he said something about beer from a steel toe - even after rewinding and listening again.

2 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

I heard steel town but that's because I live close to Pittsburgh.  LOL

That line was great, and I loved how Jill said he didn't need to worry about drinking in front of her, "Especially not with that crappy beer you ordered". 😄 My husband loves his crappy "failing steel town" beer, so of course I tease him mercilessly.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Why finish the date?  What Jill said was insulting and degrading. Behind his back no less. I would have done exactly the same. I'm a little disappointed in Jill for still caring what her snobby social club friends think. I would have thought she would have matured beyond that.What would they say if they saw her hanging out with her AA buddies? 

Yeah, he was hurt - why struggle through the evening when your date just did you dirty? 

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

Yeah, he was hurt - why struggle through the evening when your date just did you dirty? 

Exactly. I was glad he said what he did to her at the end.  Good for him for knowing his worth and not settling for someone just because she’s pretty. 

I like Jill but I think she is needlessly harsh a lot of the time. Somebody needed to say it.

• Love 8
30 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

Why finish the date?  What Jill said was insulting and degrading. Behind his back no less. I would have done exactly the same. I'm a little disappointed in Jill for still caring what her snobby social club friends think. I would have thought she would have matured beyond that.What would they say if they saw her hanging out with her AA buddies? 

I agree. I loved Marjorie’s response. “You wouldn’t want to lose the people you don’t go to lunch with.”

55 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

He should have known there would be baggage along with dating someone so much richer than he is. I don't blame him for feeling hurt because she pretended she wasn't on a date with him, but walking out on her was kind of mean. He could have finished that date then not asked for a second one.

47 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I get it. Sometimes realizing people you considered friends are merely distant acquaintances is a hard thing to realize, let alone accept. Jill talks a good game but her self-worth and self-esteem is not that high. I can easily see her still wanting to be accepted by her snobby social club 'friends' because they never have. If I do this, maybe now I'll be cool enough for them. 

22 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Exactly. I was glad he said what he did to her at the end.  Good for him for knowing his worth and not settling for someone just because she’s pretty. 

I like Jill but I think she is needlessly harsh a lot of the time. Somebody needed to say it.

Jill acting like a snobby bitch insulting and degrading him is not baggage. I'm glad his self esteem is high and he challenged Jill's shitty treatment instead of accepting her apology and going forward. Her feelings, as latent as they may be, say he's 'less than' because of her wealth.

• Love 14
27 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:
55 minutes ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

Jill acting like a snobby bitch insulting and degrading him is not baggage. I'm glad his self esteem is high and he challenged Jill's shitty treatment instead of accepting her apology and going forward. Her feelings, as latent as they may be, say he's 'less than' because of her wealth.

Maybe the S/L hits too close to home for me, but I really think Jill's reaction is because of Andy's looks, not his social status.  Remember, Rick Fox plays her ex-husband.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
7 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Maybe the S/L hits too close to home for me, but I really think Jill's reaction is because of Andy's looks, not his social status.  Remember, Rick Fox plays her ex-husband.

I think it's both. If Andy looked like Rick Fox, the snooty friend would've been giving her an atta-girl. It's not like rich women don't "slum it' with the hired help, if they're hot enough.

But I'd take Andy over Rick Fox any day. He's adorable and funny, and I like that he knows his worth.

• Love 15
14 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

Or could be both.  It was so refreshing to see a guy with a healthy sense of esteem who views himself as a catch, and wouldn't put up with any bullshit.

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, Winston Wolfe said:

I think it's both. The writers made sure to have him mention that he was a cop in front of her friend - and it was kind of clunky how it was brought up, so I think it was there for a reason.

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

I get it. Sometimes realizing people you considered friends are merely distant acquaintances is a hard thing to realize, let alone accept. Jill talks a good game but her self-worth and self-esteem is not that high. I can easily see her still wanting to be accepted by her snobby social club 'friends' because they never have. If I do this, maybe now I'll be cool enough for them. 

I like they are putting a slightly different spin on a tired trope. Mature adults with healthy boundaries are so rare on TV that I was thrilled when he calmly walked away. 

I really liked this episode with the exception of Bonnie and Christy.  Same old thing with them, move on already please.  I knew Jill was going to hurt Andy's feelings the minute that woman came over to them.  He is a good guy and she blew it, hope they give them a second chance.  Funniest line of the episode, Tammy talking about her sexual experience and saying "I kicked a window out".   I can't say it enough, she is a great addition to the cast.

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
Just now, LucyEth said:

I really liked this episode with the exception of Bonnie and Christy.  Same old thing with them, move on already please.  I knew Jill was going to hurt Andy's feelings the minute that woman came over to them.  He is a good guy and she blew it, hope they give them a second chance.  Funniest line of the episode, Tammy talking about her sexual experience and saying "I kicked a window out".   I can't say it enough, she is a great addition to the cast.

I totally agree about Tammy, I just love her. My favorite line was when she and Uri were about to go at it and she says something ,like "It's been seven years, I hope your affairs are in order!"

• LOL 5
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, Amazee-Dayzee said:

Teenage Roscoe doesn’t really fit on the show anymore but Violet is exactly the type of story I would expect to see. I don’t expect (or want) her to be a regular but I would be very surprised if she doesn’t show up again at some point in the next two seasons. 

5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I hope we're not done with Andy yet either. But I'm not sure how I feel about him telling Jill he considers himself "a catch."

On one hand, I think it's great that he said that.  On the other hand, going back to the discussion we had in the last episode thread about hot girls and shlubby guys but rarely do we see the opposite on TV---rarely would we get to see a woman have that response on TV if the situations were reversed without a much bigger screwup from the hot guy.

I was disappointed in Jill's response, to be honest. I think all she had to tell him was that those women are mean and gossipy.  She wants to keep a bit of a lid on her private life with them but the people who matter to her and have her best interests at heart know about her date with him.

• Love 3

I really liked this episode - even though Wendy did not get an interesting plot she was the only one who called Marjorie to make sure Marjorie did okay not because she needed some advice.

And while we've seen Christy and Bonnie's argument many times I don't remember Bonnie ever making an actual effort to listen. So that was sweet and I hope it sticks. There's been a lot of character growth for Bonnie over the past few seasons - early Bonnie was sometimes funnier but sometimes also much harder to like. As for those thinking it's wrong that Violet hasn't forgiven Christy when we expect Christy to move on - the difference is roughly 20 years.

I hope Jill gets another chance with Andy. And if not then I hope we'll get to see how she manages to put the experience to good use and grow. As Marjorie said she really should move on and drop friends that are basically toxic. 

And I also hope Marjorie got to the end of 'Notting Hill' - and now I just realize that Notting Hill's plot is damn close Jill's plot, duh! Oh Jill, why did you not go with the 'I'm just a girl...' speech???

• Love 9
6 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

6 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

6 hours ago, Sarahsmile416 said:

5 hours ago, Dani said:

I agree. I loved Marjorie’s response. “You wouldn’t want to lose the people you don’t go to lunch with.”

5 hours ago, theredhead77 said:

4 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

Or could be both.  It was so refreshing to see a guy with a healthy sense of esteem who views himself as a catch, and wouldn't put up with any bullshit.

I agree with all of you. Too many times we see guys on tv put up with really nasty behavior because the girl was “hawt”. Do you remember when Charlotte on Sex in the City told her boyfriend how lucky he was to be with her and they ended up getting married. Sasso is adorable and no one deserves to be treated like that. 

As other people have said in real life the woman does not always have to be the better looking one in the relationship.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, wendyg said:

Has Sadie Calvano, the actress who plays Violet, finished college yet? I thought that was a big part of her greatly reduced presence on the show.

I don't really follow actors' personal lives but she has several roles listed on IMDB in 2018 so I guess she has found time for acting again.

And - as usual - everyone gets a decent plot, except Wendy.  I'm really sick and tired of the writers making her the doormat.  Right from the opening scene where she said she had an announcement and everyone - her supportive AA friends - just ignored her.  It was only saved slightly at the end when she got the text at the end that the heart was beating

Bonnie and Christie pretending to be a lesbian couple to cop a free meal squicked me out

Tammy's character is growing on me.  The writers are giving us the right dosage of her without her overpowering the core cast.

And - AGREED about Andy icing out Jill.  This opens up a good growth opportunity for her and hope to see her coming to terms with getting rid of her toxic friends from her past

Marjorie had my idea of a perfect evening - watching a good ol' rom-com while eating take out.  This past Valentine's Day I came home from work to find that hub made broiled chicken legs, served it up to me in the living room while we watched The Walking Dead mid-season premiere from last Sunday On Demand.  It was bliss!

• Love 2

It’s funny that Christy still brings up her childhood issues when she and her mom spend more time with each other than the Gilmore Girls. I am younger than Christy and live far away from my mom and only see her a couple times a year. I feel like Bonnie is Christy’s best friend.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

It’s funny that Christy still brings up her childhood issues when she and her mom spend more time with each other than the Gilmore Girls. I am younger than Christy and live far away from my mom and only see her a couple times a year. I feel like Bonnie is Christy’s best friend.

Heck, Christy sees Bonnie more than Christy sees Roscoe.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I hope that their talk actually did some good and going forward, Christy will ease up on the constant "It's your fault I'm a mess and my life sucks" comments. I don't mind the occasional throwaway line if it's funny, but Christy can be pretty bad. At least she recognized that and said it's time she got over it. I don't blame her for feeling a way, just as I don't blame Violet for having issues with her childhood, but there comes a point where one has to let go of the pain and anger, for one's own sake if not for the other person's. Bonnie and Christy have a great relationship now. Bonnie acknowledges her bad behavior but she doesn't beat herself up over it anymore, because how does that help? 

• Love 9
52 minutes ago, Gothish520 said:

I hope that their talk actually did some good and going forward, Christy will ease up on the constant "It's your fault I'm a mess and my life sucks" comments. I don't mind the occasional throwaway line if it's funny, but Christy can be pretty bad. At least she recognized that and said it's time she got over it. I don't blame her for feeling a way, just as I don't blame Violet for having issues with her childhood, but there comes a point where one has to let go of the pain and anger, for one's own sake if not for the other person's. Bonnie and Christy have a great relationship now. Bonnie acknowledges her bad behavior but she doesn't beat herself up over it anymore, because how does that help? 

I agree and really hope this actually results in a change in their dynamic. One of the things I loved about this was how real it felt. We get so ingrained in our thought patterns that we keep playing out the same scenario over and over again. The second that Bonnie broke their normal pattern they were both able to acknowledge their own failures. 

On 2/15/2019 at 8:09 PM, qtpye said:

I agree with all of you. Too many times we see guys on tv put up with really nasty behavior because the girl was “hawt”. Do you remember when Charlotte on Sex in the City told her boyfriend how lucky he was to be with her and they ended up getting married. Sasso is adorable and no one deserves to be treated like that. 

As other people have said in real life the woman does not always have to be the better looking one in the relationship.

I was thinking of that scene as well.  Charlotte treated him badly and yet after a short time they were back together and married.   What does that teach people like Charlotte and Jill - that they can treat people like something that was on the bottom of their shoe and just by saying sorry and waiting a little while, the guy will just capitulate and come back.  

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

IIRC Charlotte had to eat a considerable portion of humble pie before Harry was willing to get back with her after that outburst.

Yes, but you should never be with someone who has to be convinced you are not a giant step down. Charlotte said that people wondered why they were together  since she was so out of his league. Here Jill denied the cop to impress a bitchy woman who would never respect her anyway. I’m glad he did not put up with that.

• Love 2

I think Andy did the right thing. I also think it was because of the way he looked and had nothing to do with him being a cop. You can’t see money on a person at first glans but you can see that they are over weight. It is too bad because I thought he looked great! 

I know from myself that if a guy said that on our date I would run home crying. And could never be a 100% sure about his feelings towards me ever again. I am a plus-size girl myself and it would literally breaks my heart.

• Love 13
On 2/18/2019 at 9:38 AM, vimsa3 said:

I think Andy did the right thing. I also think it was because of the way he looked and had nothing to do with him being a cop. You can’t see money on a person at first glans but you can see that they are over weight. 

When Snooty Rich Woman was standing there, Andy mentioned that he was going to get a table by flashing his badge. So she would have been aware that he was a cop.

I think the comment was doubly hurtful because it was about both his appearance and his occupation/class.

• Love 1

Bonnie and Christie pretending to be a lesbian couple to cop a free meal squicked me out

I would have done that in a heartbeat...though I've been married to my wife since it was legal in our state. :-)

NB & O/T: For those considering marriage in downtown NYC, The Odeon will give you a free bottle of sparkling wine if you have a meal there after.