Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: A Flock of Lost Birds

I really enjoyed how they did the episode. Without getting specific, thought they did a good job of portraying the identiy switch, while moving things along so the entire season isn't going to be about recovering the identities.

Fogg is going to savor the orders just deserts.

I liked the call back to the first episode of season 1. 

Marina!

That was a damn solid start to the new season.

I will have more thoughts later once I've digested things further.

• Love 5

Oh man, I am so glad this show is back. I've missed it terribly. Great opening episode, after all the chaos of the S3 finale. 

1. Poor, poor Alice. I did laugh a bit at the Santa Clause in the next cell. This show's sense of whimsy never ceases to amuse me. Is it wrong that I actually feel bad for the Librarian. Under all that "We're the bestest thing in the world" Order conditioning, I detect the remnants of a decent human being who's genuinely trying to reach out to Alice, if only in a vain, self-deluded attempt to replace her own dead daughter.

2. Kady as the tough as nails cop took me a little bit by surprise considering her background and the scene from the end of the S3 finale but I suppose it makes sense. She's got a real talent for detective work, I'll give her that. Love the gang slowly but surely finding their way back to one another and of course everything with Margo/Janet was pure gold because...it's Margo.

3. I like the way they didn't reveal Julia as "the new student" until the end and it was nice to see Fogg referencing what happened to her in S1 and his obvious remorse about it, as well as his determination not to let her get hurt again. They definitely have a Buffy/Giles type relationship going and it really works here.

4. Poor Quentin. Being dragged around by "monster Elliot" and not even remembering who they both are. Watching Elliot( or whatever the hell is in his skin) slice apart that ice cream vendor very clearly tore him up-although probably not as much as the ice cream vendor.

Damn, show, I had forgotten how much I love you.

• Love 5

I hope they don't string out the Alice storyline too long. There is only so much you can do with her pacing a cell.

Otherwise it was good to see the gang. I love Margo so much. I was happy to see her release her cutting bitchiness even as someone totally different. Also yay for another cool eye patch. I enjoyed getting glimpses into their fake lives and seeing the characters come through. 

So it looks like the library is sort of reasonable with the magic supply. That was a bit of a surprise, I thought. They don't not have a point about irresponsible magic use.

Good to see Marina up and alive. It was good to have the show back.

• Love 1

Oh show I have missed you!! Such a solid start. I'm glad they didn't give us too much of their new identities before they started to figure out something wasn't right. I hate it when shows drag that stuff out. 

I think my favorite part was Fogg trying to make up for kicking Julia out of Brakebills for the sake of the time line. Its nice to see Julia be where she was 'supposed' to be, even if its not 'her' yet. That scene was really sweet. 

• Love 7

Its so wonderful to have this show back, I missed it so much! And right after hearing about the season five renewal! 

Great start to the season, I think they are handling the memory wipes really well. They did some good stuff with it, and the gang are still mind wiped, but its clear that they wont be like that all season, and that the plot is moving quickly enough, but not so quickly that the memory wipes arent pointless. 

Love the shout outs to the first episode, including Todd attempting to become Elliot. Oh Todd. And Julia is back at Brakebills again, and the Dean is watching out for her. It was really sweet to hear him talking about what happened to her the first go around, and how he is trying to protect her. Also, "Squib is considered hate speech". I love how this show uses its pop culture references, its so clever about it. 

Marina is back and looking fabulous! And I am really glad that Kady was a cop the whole time, and not a drug dealer. Making her a drug dealer in her new identity just seemed cruel with her backstory. 

Hale Appleman is already killing it as monster Elliot. So deeply creepy, and poor Not Quentin is now being dragged along for the ride. 

The library locked up Santa! They are all so on the naughty list this year! This show comes up with the weirdest, most whimsical stuff, I love it. I do think that the main librarian lady might be not such a bad guy eventually, it seems like she really does think that the library having control of magic is for the best. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Indigo Luna said:

I think my favorite part was Fogg trying to make up for kicking Julia out of Brakebills for the sake of the time line. Its nice to see Julia be where she was 'supposed' to be, even if its not 'her' yet. That scene was really sweet. 

That was my favorite scene. 39 timelines that Julia was his star pupil and he remembers them and then what he had to do to her in the 40th and he saw what happened from that. When he told 'Kimber' he wouldn't let that happen again, well, I got a little something in my eye.

I love that Kady is the one that got the ball rolling with figuring things out. The new identities coming from an obscure comic book was a neat touch. Yes, who wrote that?..... 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, festivus said:

I love that Kady is the one that got the ball rolling with figuring things out. The new identities coming from an obscure comic book was a neat touch. Yes, who wrote that?..... 

They've time travelled at least twice so it would be easy enough to do it again and plant the comic book in the past or maybe it's something to do with Cassandra/Alice.

It's a shame Margo separated from the group so quickly but I do want to know what's going on with the fairies and Fen as acting High King.

My DVR went all wonky on me while i was trying to watch so I think I might have missed a couple of scenes. I agree its great to have the show back and I'm intrigued with how its all working. I couldn't help getting squicked by Alice hiding that big bug in her mouth. Ugh.

• Love 1

I just hope we don't spend the entire season on the characters trying to get their memories back. The quest last season was fine but I don't want an entire season where they have amnesia. 

That said there was a lot to love about this premier. It's funny that everyone but poor Josh seems to have illustrious and successful careers while Josh is just an Uber driver. And Penny's new persona is positively giddy. I actually prefer this Penny to the original version. But I wonder if we will ever see "our" Penny again, or if Penny 23 has simply taken his place. That's going to be awkward for both Julia and Kady.

I still don't understand how the library is "controlling" magic though - they have the ability to ration it out to Brakebills, but where is Marina getting it from? Is it possible to steal a supply from the library? That other hedge witch that was following/testing Kady had magic too.

Quentin cut his hair but still has that big mop hanging down over his face.

Once "Janet" found out about magic she should have taken off her eye patch since she should have realized that was why her eye was acting weird. 

• Love 2

I like that Kady was the first (outside of Quentin/Brian with Eliot/Monster) to sort of figure out what was going on and to start gathering the group. I also like the team-up with Margo. I don't think they ever really interacted much before. I like Kady taking point because her storyline last year wasn't that great. I hope Margo gets out of Fillory soon. She was pretty much stuck there all last season and was separated from the group too much. On the other hand, I hope she finds out what Irene did the Fairy Queen and takes her out. I really need someone to take out Irene. Anyone, I don't care who. I hope the fairy eye she gave to Margo comes into play for that.

Santa Claus being in the next cell over was funny. I remember when Penny first came to the Neitherlands someone mentioned seeing a guy with reindeer so good for them for picking up that little nugget and running with it. I did wonder if we were going to see a glimpse of Penny40 when Alice was in the infirmary. He's still working for the Library.

I forgot that after they came back to this timeline Marina just fucked off and did her own thing. It was very Marina. Of course she's still being a hedge witch and snatching power. Just because the Library is controlling magic doesn't mean it's completely locked up. Marina is too clever to not come up with a way to steal some.

I watched a bunch of episodes from the past seasons to get me back into the show and man, I like Julia even less after the binge.

• Love 6

So glad Magicians is back!

I do agree with everyone in that I'm hoping the amnesia storyline doesn't go for the whole season.

I miss Elliot.

When I saw Ember with all those kittens I was really worried we were gonna go VERY dark and kittens would start exploding. Very glad (yet slightly disappointed) that didn't happen.

Margo is king!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love her and she's badass no matter who she is. Love love love her blinging up her eyepatch.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, festivus said:

Oh yeah I heard that, it was funny. I meant I think we'll be finding out who really wrote it.

I think we'll find out from Fogg. When he and the librarian were talking she said he cast the spell, so he was basing it on that comic book for.......some reason

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Beatrice said:

I continue to love all incarnations of Julia. 

This post. Remember when she was the most hated character on this show? No, me either...

...because I've blocked it out.

• Love 9

I bet Marina was up and running shit within a week of joining timeline 40.

Is it wrong I miss Ember?

Kady being a cop is a twist I never knew I wanted. She's a good cop, too. I think having Leanne Lapp play her glammer is bit of a waste, though.

Julia deserves a break, and I'm glad she's getting a second chance (in the current timeline) to attend Brakebills.

Margo as Janet is a dick to her personal assistant, but I still love her.

Hale Appleman as Monster Eliot is delightful. This show really knows how to present its remorseless killers. Poor Brian/Q. Poor ice cream vendor.

1 hour ago, Philbert said:

This post. Remember when she was the most hated character on this show? No, me either...

Hmm, I vaguely remember that being a thing.

I also vaguely recall personally hating Quentin Coldwater. Now? No harm must befall my sad little nerd king!

• Love 7

Can anyone help me remember why Dean Fogg made he deal with the library in the first place?  Yesterday I rewatched the last two episodes of last season and this one and I cannot remember why he made that deal.  Did he not believe the kids could do it? 

• Love 1

I bet Marina was up and running shit within a week of joining timeline 40.

Yeah, when Penny complimented her apartment she said "Thanks, I worked really hard to steal it."

Can anyone help me remember why Dean Fogg made the deal with the library in the first place? 

I don't think the show has really told us that yet. It was Alice who inadvertently blabbed to him the location of the fountain when she went to him to ask for his memory-wipe potion. That's how they knew where to go. Why he teamed up with Irene and the library, I don't know. Maybe he agreed it would be "safer" if they controlled all the magic until he realized he wouldn't get sufficient rations for his school. 

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Philbert said:

I remember barely participating in these threads. I felt so alone because Julia is my favorite character.

10 hours ago, treasaigh said:

Can anyone help me remember why Dean Fogg made he deal with the library in the first place?  Yesterday I rewatched the last two episodes of last season and this one and I cannot remember why he made that deal.  Did he not believe the kids could do it? 

I just got done watching this show for the third time around so I could watch with my son. That was something we discussed, he couldn't understand why Fogg would be working with the library. They haven't said on the show but my speculation is that maybe the library came to him and said that one way or another they would be controlling magic and this would be his chance to keep it for his school and be allowed to protect the gang his way. That's just my spec though, we don't know yet.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, festivus said:

I remember barely participating in these threads. I felt so alone because Julia is my favorite character.

There were always a few of us around. Our numbers started improving somewhere around the time Julia got her shade back at the end of S2. Of course since then, Julia has been made of win. I suspect the Alice fans on the other hand have been pulling their hair out of late.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, festivus said:

I just got done watching this show for the third time around so I could watch with my son. That was something we discussed, he couldn't understand why Fogg would be working with the library. They haven't said on the show but my speculation is that maybe the library came to him and said that one way or another they would be controlling magic and this would be his chance to keep it for his school and be allowed to protect the gang his way. That's just my spec though, we don't know yet.

I'm glad to know I didn't miss something.  Though not knowing is weird cause it doesn't make sense. 

Hey, he would have assumed Julia was part of the group right?  She gave him his eyesight.  I can't imagine he would go against her.

I hope they explain it someday.

• Love 1

Anyone else have beef with the trend of using high pitched sounds as a means to drive up intensity and suspense? It never fails to freak out my dog. I had to watch half of this episode on mute because they leaned so heavily on it.

Otherwise, really enjoyed the episode and watching everyone come together in spite their enchantment. Missed you, Magicians!

• Love 2
On 1/24/2019 at 7:38 AM, Linderhill said:

My DVR went all wonky on me while i was trying to watch so I think I might have missed a couple of scenes.

Do you have Comcast? I had the same problem with all shows I recorded that night.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GaT said:

Do you have Comcast? I had the same problem with all shows I recorded that night.

Ooh, I did too and had to watch On Demand. And then I saw it was repeated on another night but I couldn't have waited anyway. I really enjoy this show and was a bit concerned how they were going to handle the memory wipe/alternate person storyline but they did a great job. I forgot how brutal this show can be until Eliott sliced the ice cream guy's throat. I felt so sorry and scared for Quenton at that point.

I love this show so much and am happy it's back.

On 1/24/2019 at 8:54 AM, festivus said:

When he told 'Kimber' he wouldn't let that happen again, well, I got a little something in my eye.

Aw...  Let’s not forget that Julia put a little something in his eyes not that long ago. One of many reasons that it’s terrific that the show chose to put her as the student at the school. 

All of the actors did a great job being their character but not their character.  Josh and Q and Margo: same person, different setting. It’s like when The Simpsons do the Treehouse of Horrors episodes. Homer is always Homer regardless of the setting. On the other hand Penny and Elliott being totally not themselves was equally well done and satisfying. 

And the Library story is also off to a promising start. The old “they mean well, I think, but this doesn’t seem to be the way to go about it” story. The librarian is a solid gray hat character. 

• Love 2
On 1/25/2019 at 4:16 AM, treasaigh said:

I assumed that they threatened his students and the deal was that he could protect them.  But maybe i am just operating in a Fogg.

• Love 2
On 1/24/2019 at 9:38 AM, Linderhill said:

My DVR went all wonky on me while i was trying to watch so I think I might have missed a couple of scenes.

13 hours ago, GaT said:

8 hours ago, AngelKitty said:

Ooh, I did too and had to watch On Demand.

Were you guys trying to break through the witness protection glamour or something? ;-)

• Love 5
On 1/23/2019 at 7:59 PM, Philbert said:

Oh man, I am so glad this show is back. I've missed it terribly. Great opening episode, after all the chaos of the S3 finale. 

1. Poor, poor Alice. I did laugh a bit at the Santa Clause in the next cell. This show's sense of whimsy never ceases to amuse me. Is it wrong that I actually feel bad for the Librarian. Under all that "We're the bestest thing in the world" Order conditioning, I detect the remnants of a decent human being who's genuinely trying to reach out to Alice, if only in a vain, self-deluded attempt to replace her own dead daughter.

2. Kady as the tough as nails cop took me a little bit by surprise considering her background and the scene from the end of the S3 finale but I suppose it makes sense. She's got a real talent for detective work, I'll give her that. Love the gang slowly but surely finding their way back to one another and of course everything with Margo/Janet was pure gold because...it's Margo.

3. I like the way they didn't reveal Julia as "the new student" until the end and it was nice to see Fogg referencing what happened to her in S1 and his obvious remorse about it, as well as his determination not to let her get hurt again. They definitely have a Buffy/Giles type relationship going and it really works here.

4. Poor Quentin. Being dragged around by "monster Elliot" and not even remembering who they both are. Watching Elliot( or whatever the hell is in his skin) slice apart that ice cream vendor very clearly tore him up-although probably not as much as the ice cream vendor.

Damn, show, I had forgotten how much I love you.

Re: bulllett point 3. When Fogg was looking through his eye glass in the classroom, I said "Hey, it's Julia." My sister didn't notice....and I'm the one waiting for cataract surgery!

Alice/Olivia has lost a ton of weight. Waaa waaa. I liked that she was very slightly on the zaftig side.

• Love 2

One episode of The Magicians is never enough Magicians. I always decide I'm going to wait to binge watch the whole season and then crack and start live watching it. This year was no exception. 

I pretty much loved everything they're doing with every character and that's all I have to say right now. 

• Love 3

So it looks like Fogg does know its Julia as Kim?  He got such a quick look before his spyglass broke, I wasn't sure.  But then when he talked to her again in his office (and letting her stay in the first place despite her apparent failure of the test), he sure seemed like he knew who she was.  So why is he keeping her at Brakebills?  Is he realizing that his agreement with the Library was ultimately a bad one?  He wants magic to return to its former ways and sees Julia as a way to do that (since she does have inherent magic)?  Can't wait to find out!

And I loved the rest of the group (minus Q and E) getting together from the comic book.  Kady as a detective, lol.  Of course Margo would be in fashion and I loved how she blinged up the eyepatch.  Poor Margo flung back to Fillory with no knowledge of what happened.  Hopefully the fairies will help her out there.

And Marina!!! I'm so glad they brought the character back (even if its a slightly different version of her). I do wonder how hedge witches even have magic if its so restricted by the library.  They have to explain that.

And finally Q and E, poor Q watching E kill the ice cream vendor over jimmies/sprinkles.  

• Love 3

I assumed that they threatened his students and the deal was that he could protect them.  But maybe i am just operating in a Fogg.

The McAllistairs and the library would not have been able to siphon the magic from the fountain without Fogg's help, though. The library knew that only Quentin & Co. could restore magic since they were the ones given the quest. If the library had not been able to use the siphon to control magic, I don't see how they could have threatened Fogg with anything. I also don't see why Fogg would have feared for his students prior to the events that took place at Castle Blackspire, because there was no inherent danger from the Monster until after Eliot shot him. The original plan was for Quentin to switch places with Ora. So Fogg had no reason to think he needed to protect anyone.

I think it's just as simple as Fogg decided the library was right, that it was "safer" if they controlled all the magic given the events of the first two seasons. Only now he's sort of having buyer's regret. Why they needed to include the McAllistairs in this deal is another question. I've got nothing on that one.

• Love 4

I'm so happy this show is back, and with a good premiere! But it's been so long since last season that I've forgotten some stuff!

What happened to Ghost Penny? Is he really gone for good?
Why did Fogg make that deal with the Library? It made no sense even last season, as I recall. Seems out of character for him.

Alice's character is all over the place. It's disappointing, since in previous seasons she was one of my favorite characters. It's like they don't know what to do with her now. I hated her scenes in this episode. I'm terrified of/grossed out by roaches, so I literally could not even watch that scene. The Santa Claus thing was stupid. 

Good things about the episode:

-Margo, who steals the scene in any scene she is in

-Evil Elliot! Poor Quentin.

-Kady & her detective skills. I'm pretty sure that Dean Fogg wrote the comic...isn't his first name "Tiberius"?

-DJ Penny 

I was confused about Kimber/Julia. In the classroom when Kimber is taking the test, Fogg looks at her through a glass like he doesn't know who she is. But isn't he the one who made the glamour disguise spells for all of them? The Library lady mentions it in her conversation with Fogg. And at the end, he seems to know he is talking to Julia. 

Also, how come he is not wondering what happened to Elliot? If he's concerned about protecting his students, why does he never mention Elliot or seem concerned that one of his students is missing?

Edited by KaleyFirefly
  • Love 1

That's a very good point about Elliot and Fogg. It's been so long since last season At first I assumed he was hiding them from the beast until I remembered he didn't know and he was hiding them from the red haired lady.  Maybe later episodes will explain? They usually are pretty tight with the writing. 

• Love 1