Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01/S01.E02/S01.E03:

• Start Topic

Well, nice looking with interesting action scenes, especially the chase and then the battle in the opera.

Will have to see more from the characters and the mythology.  They had a little featurette with interviews with the cast and some crew but not Wheadon himself.

• Love 2

Pilots can vary a good deal, but this one was alright. It seems to be the standard set of Joss characters put in Victorian England.

Amalia True is the Buffy type - leader and fighter.

Penance is the Willow type - adorkable bestie who pulls out tricks.

Language Lass reminds me of River. 

Maladie gives off warmed over Drusilla vibes.

• Love 2

I really liked it. I know Joss Whedon is popular to hate right now and from what we've heard he's got some questionable aspects to his character but he can still make a mean show.

Every character appealed to me in some way. The action was good, the weirdness was good and the show has a sense of humor too. I thought the scene at the opera where the Touched are introduced to Pip Torrens' character was great even though it's a good few minutes of characters standing around talking. (Also, Pip Torrens! Haven't seen him since Preacher!)

That steampunk UFO was a total what the fuuuuuuuck but in a good way. I also thought it was fun that the "affliction" made some folks into giants.

The guy with the gatling gun arm shooting into the crowd would not have been okay a few years ago.

I wonder if at some point the powers of the Touched will somehow transport them into the future. It would be interesting to see how they would react to the 21st century.

• Love 11

I do admit I've liked most of the Joss Whedon shows so this also appealed.  It was intriguing although hard to understand what people were saying. That made it a little harder to work out the characters.  Loved the opera dresses!   Maladie seemed to be channeling Bellatrix Lestrange!  It felt good to be sitting down in front of HBO on a Sunday night.   Hopefully future episodes will match the first.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

For better or worse, it definitely felt like a Joss Whedon show through and through, only one on HBO this time, so it had more violence, foul language, and nudity than normal.  I do think he's talented, but yeah, it's hard not to think about some of the stuff that has been coming up about him lately.  Curious to see how this plays out since it sounds like he won't be involved anymore after these initial episodes.

A decent enough pilot I thought, but there was admittedly a lot going on, so it was hard to keep up at times.  I'm guessing there will be some payoffs going forward, but right now some of the characters felt superfluous or unnecessary (mainly Hugo and August for me.  But, again, that will likely change, I imagine.)  But I'm curious to see how these mysterious unwind like what exactly was that UFO/ship that caused those to be "touched", if there is a reason that the majority of the "touched" are women, and what is Maladie's endgame or, really, if she even has one.

Laura Donnelly and Ann Skelly are already working well together and are making Amalia and Penance good leads so far.  Definitely wanting to learn more about their characters and their relationship.  Also kind of like the doctor and Primrose as well.

Pip Torrens and his authoritative voice are always welcomed!

After I moved past the initial "Hey, it's Nick Frost!" reaction, I thought he had an effective amount of menace at the end of his scene.

I'm going to guess Denis O'Hare's mysterious doctor isn't going to be a big follower of the hippocratic oath...

I'm in for now.

• Love 7

This is not the kind of show I generally watch, but there's precious little on TV right now so I figured I'd give it a go, and I loved it. It's probably the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. I'm going to watch the pilot again in the hope that it'll all make more sense the second time around.

• Love 4

Tom Riley, James Norton and James Norton's naked butt.....I'm in. 

While Jane Espenson and Doug Petrie are on the staff the writing should be good. 

"Maladie" seems to be Druscilla crossed with Emily Hampshire's character, "Jennifer Goines", from 12 Monkeys

Edited by NeenerNeener
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, NeenerNeener said:

"Maladie" seems to be Druscilla crossed with Emily Hampshire's character, "Jennifer Goines", from 12 Monkeys

I got that "12 Monkeys" vibe from her too; in fact, I had to check the cast on IMDB to make sure it wasn't EH under all that smeared make-up.

Thoroughly enjoyed the pilot and looking forward to more fantasy.

• Love 1

I liked it, the visuals were very exciting.

Prediction: 

Spoiler

Inventor Penance Adair is the creator of the Spaceship that created "The Turned" as well as the the Time Machine that sent it to the past.

It is weird that only Maladie, a woman headed for the insane asylum seemed to remember that the cause of "The Turned" was a spaceship.

• Useful 2

That spaceship or whatever was gorgeous.

I love Laura Donnelly, and Amalia and Penance have great chemistry.  I wasn't sure I'd like this since I watched a couple episodes of The Irregulars (which has a similar vibe) and found that one pretty awful.  This was a lot more interesting and creative and fun to watch.  The car at the beginning, the pre-opera conversation (French words and talents), Amalia's considerable skills... it kept me entertained.

Omigosh, that was Eleanor Tomlinson as Mary?  I didn't recognize her.

• Love 5

I really liked it. It appeals to everything I love in a fantasy show. And when I saw the credit and noticed Joss Whedon's name -- I was like yup! It did have a bit of a Buffy vibe.

I liked the two lead characters -- most especially Amalia. I want to find out what's the what with her. She seemed extraordinarily strong -- so is she one of the aliens who were flying that cool as hell spaceship and dropping glitter onto the chosen few below? But then that doesn't make sense. But man! I want to find out!

I hardly ever read about creators (writers, producers and such) of shows I watch cuz they are inevitably disappointing when you find out the truth about the person behind the scenes. I have seen some things recently about Joss Whedon and I just go ***la la la la! I can't hear you!***  I will not let his personal antics color my perception of his work. At least not this new show. Cuz I liked it and want to see more. Plus American Gods  and Luminaries both ended ---  so I am looking for a new show to watch.

• Love 6

I have been quite intrigued by this show for awhile now, it has a lot of things that I really love. Period piece, steampunk gear and aestietic, kickass ladies, weird superpowers, and its interesting seeing many of the Joss Whedon tropes on HBO, so more violence, nudity, language, and a more lavish budget for costumes and effects and such. I grew up on Joss Whedon shows, many of whom are some of my favorite shows of all time, but between what is being revealed about his personal issues and bad behavior has added a pretty unfortunate cloud over his body of work. Plus, I have generally gotten a bit tired of a lot of his tropes, some of which have not really aged well, so I went into this with both excitement and trepidation. You can definitely see the Whedon tropes here, like the babbling mad woman, English accents, the superpowered action heroine, the snarky banter (although its rather toned down here) the group of disparate weirdos who form a close knit group, often involving people with powers, the evil authority figures who wants to keep our heroes down, etc. Although Whedon was apparently only involved in the show for the first few episodes before he left, so while he created the show, it might end up being more someone else's baby instead as the season goes forward. 

Anyway, onto the actual show, I thought it was a really good start. It had that very exposition heavy pilot vibe, but I think they actually handled most of that really well. The flashback to the alien (?) ship giving people powers was a really beautiful way to show what happened, and in general they did a good job at mostly showing what is going on and not just telling. As much as I snark on the Whedon tropes, there is a reason I have loved so much of his work before, a lot of his tropes really do work and are played in fun and interesting ways. The cast is very solid, although its strange not seeing many of the Whedon regulars (although I'm not surprised given the bad blood between him and a lot of his actors) around yet. I especially liked Ann Skelly as Penance, who is adorable, and Denis O'Hare as some kind of evil doctor, who is always a treat. I like Amaila as our hero and I am excited to get to know more about her and her reasons for trying to drown herself before she was touched. I hope to get more of the rest of the people at their house, they all seem really interesting, kind of like a Victorian era X-Men. It looked like Olivia Williams nervous brother got hit by the power sparkles, did he get a power? 

They are setting up a lot of intriguing ideas, I am glad that everything about the powers is out in the open and it isn't some kind of secret world, it opens up for a lot more world building opportunities and makes the show a bit different, even if its probably mostly to do the good old "magic people as persecuted minority" thing. The effects are really good, the steampunk gadgets look really cool, and they seem to have a wide variety of powers that all look really nice onscreen. The alien craft dropping its sparkles looked amazing. 

I am most definitely in, and very excited to see where this goes next. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 9

Did they explain why this show is called "The Nevers"& I just missed it? It doesn't seem to be related to anything.

I think Amalia knew what was going to happen & that's why she jumped in the water, to make sure none of the sparkly things fell on her. This doesn't explain where her precog & fighting/strength skills come from though, so I am still confused.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GaT said:

I think Amalia knew what was going to happen & that's why she jumped in the water, to make sure none of the sparkly things fell on her. This doesn't explain where her precog & fighting/strength skills come from though, so I am still confused.

I just thought that she hated her life and wanted to kill herself.

• Like 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, GaT said:

One of the sparkles touched her side while she was under water, I noticed it because I was trying to remember if that was the same spot where she was slashed by those guys trying to kidnap Myrtle.

11 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I just thought that she hated her life and wanted to kill herself.

That was my thinking as well. A widowed washer-woman in Victorian London who was sick of the drudgery of her every day life.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, GaT said:

Did they explain why this show is called "The Nevers"& I just missed it? It doesn't seem to be related to anything.

There is a mention of it in the scene where the influential men of London were talking about The Touched.  Lord Massen considered The Touched to be an attack on the British Empire.  He stated "This [the attack] was designed so that we would see the parts and not the whole... The heart of the empire brought to a shuddering halt by the caprice and ambitions of those for whom ambition was never meant."

Edited by grawlix
  • Useful 7
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, GaT said:

Right. I re-watched because 1st time I didn't understand what exactly was going on. Yes it looks like Amalia was trying to kill herself. I didn't catch that the 1st time around. Also dude who was in that council of men--- it looked like his little daughter was touched by the  sparkle sprinkles and fell down. Did she die? is that why he hates the "touched" so much?

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, Haleth said:

He absorbed a sparkle but so far we haven’t seen any indication the he or any other man is Touched. I imagine this will come out later. 

I believe the doctor's healing power is from being touched and his wife is the one with the mad woman.

41 minutes ago, taanja said:

Right. I re-watched because 1st time I didn't understand what exactly was going on. Yes it looks like Amalia was trying to kill herself. I didn't catch that the 1st time around. Also dude who was in that council of men--- it looked like his little daughter was touched by the  sparkle sprinkles and fell down. Did she die? is that why he hates the "touched" so much?

Isn't his daughter the really tall girl?

25 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I believe the doctor's healing power is from being touched and his wife is the one with the mad woman.

I don't know about the wife, but the doctor was definitely touched.

For some of the people we've met, it seemed like the sparkles landed where the person was effected.  The kidnapped singer had a glow show up on her throat, Penance's sparkles landed on her hands and she can now make things etc.  Lavinia's brother lit up at his head; he was acting weird with the birds so I wonder if he can understand or talk to animals now? 

To me it looked like Amalia's sparkle lit up her heart, and she came back to life - I wonder if she's immortal?  No idea how that plays into her time jumps though.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, Haleth said:

He absorbed a sparkle but so far we haven’t seen any indication the he or any other man is Touched. I imagine this will come out later. 

There are tons of people who are touched, you can see who they were in the Opera House when the lady started singing, they were glowing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Popples said:

One of the sparkles touched her side while she was under water, I noticed it because I was trying to remember if that was the same spot where she was slashed by those guys trying to kidnap Myrtle.

That was my thinking as well. A widowed washer-woman in Victorian London who was sick of the drudgery of her every day life.

4 hours ago, taanja said:

You may be right, but I still think there is going to be a reason why she jumped in the water just as the thing flew overhead.

I thought his daughter turned into the tall girl.

3 hours ago, TexasGal said:

To me it looked like Amalia's sparkle lit up her heart, and she came back to life - I wonder if she's immortal?  No idea how that plays into her time jumps though.

That's the problem with her so far, why does she have the precog stuff and the whole crime fighting ability. It just seems like even if she got her strength from being touched, no Victorian woman would know how to fight. Getting 2 seemingly unrelated abilities makes no sense.

3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

There are tons of people who are touched, you can see who they were in the Opera House when the lady started singing, they were glowing.

Sure, but we haven’t seen if men have any unusual abilities yet. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

Except the doctor who can heal people almost instantly.

The guy who hates them all because they may actually end up demanding rights said something to the effect of no man “of stature” was touched.  Instead it was males of the working class, immigrants, Afro-Britons etc.

i know it is probably just me but the alien ship at the end reminded me of the Vorlon ships from Babylon 5.  Given their manipulation I wouldn’t put it past ehm.

Holy Crossovers Batman!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

The Nevers: HBO Max's Best Original Series Debuts with 1.4 Million Viewers

The Nevers is HBO Max's most-watched original series premiere to date.

Good to hear. I enjoyed it very much.

I don't know some of the characters names yet -- but tall girl is the daughter of the Lord Massen? I guess I didn't recognize her. Also brother of wheelchair lady (Sorry! I can't remember the characters names yet!) got touched by the sparkles and he seems to be able to understand birds -- well crows anyway and the doctor with the magic touch also got sprinkled - so it seems some of the men are affected as well.

Speaking of the sparkles-- was that an alien ship that flew over them all (London) or something that Penance made? and if she "created" it -- is it from the future? or the past? or... my mind is exploding!

I saw only one sparkle on Amalia, so I’m guessing she only got “one turn”.  
We see her flash-forward, and are told that’s her “turn”. But she’s a great fighter- and jumped into a stairwell where her dress just happened to act as a stopping mechanism. Is this meant to be her anticipating the future?

But, the episode started with a murder that was attempted to be covered up with a different murder. 

I’m wondering if it’s possible that some people were already affected somehow and this whole set up was to cover up how that happened in the first place?

Penance was already handy/smart/inventive. Maybe the turns are enhancements of skills people already have?

Amalia mentioned that “This is not my face,” and then we saw a flashback to a spaceship sprinkling sparkles on London a few minutes later.

Could the sparkles be alien beings that melded with humans? It makes about as much sense as anything else.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1

If you watch episode 2 of The Nevers on HBO Max there is a short Behind the Scenes video about the episode you just watched.

So Lavinia wants to get her hands on all the Touched in London and find out how they do what they do.

Well they have the Italian young woman, didn't catch her first name but it's a Ms. Cassini, and the guy was menacingly wielding a saw while she was strapped down.

Then Lavinia comes in and that blue globe or whatever she calls war.  Was it the space ship?

But the next shot of Ms. Cassini is her doing manual labor, some kind of digging in those catacombs?

Lavinia purports to support Amalia's home for the Touched but she will not have Augie falling for Penance --  she's touched and she's Irish!

Wait until she finds out that Augie is also touched.

So Amalia somehow failed Maladie, who was known as Sarah?  Maladie underwent brutal repeated assaults and somehow became this criminal mastermind, kind of like Joker?  She plots to capture Pennance and then left a clue which she knew would draw Amalia to the factory.

Mundi had a personal interest in saving Mary, who had left him at the altar.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, aghst said:

Well they have the Italian young woman, didn't catch her first name but it's a Ms. Cassini, and the guy was menacingly wielding a saw while she was strapped down.

Then Lavinia comes in and that blue globe or whatever she calls war.  Was it the space ship?

But the next shot of Ms. Cassini is her doing manual labor, some kind of digging in those catacombs?

My impression was that the surgeon cut “the spark” that made Ms. Cassini special out of her, and added it to the glowy sphere. Without that spark, she was left doing manual labor, hauling rocks that she could have floated into the air.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

Thy certainly aren't afraid to move things along quickly, because usually the type of reveal about Amalia and Maladie's history would happen later on in other shows.  But it sounds like they knew each other from long ago and apparently; at least in Maladie's eyes; Amalia betrayed her somehow?  Amalia certainly seem to feel guilty about whatever it was, but I suspect there will be more to this.  An admittedly obvious comparison, but thanks to Maladie's maniac persona, they really are giving off a Batman/Joker vibe.

We also find out that this Detective Mundi and Mary/Singing Lady have a past, where they were engaged to be married, but Mary left him at the alter for some reason.  Twist!

Hope Desiree sticks around.  The character was fun, the actress was great, and her power can be both helpful and fun, depending on the situation!

Penance and Augie are definitely doing the whole "Cutesy love thing", where they bond over their respected powers and are all cute and sweet, but of course their potential romance is cut off at its knees, since Lavinia thinks it would put both of them in danger (but, really, I think she's more concerned about her own standing), and successfully convinces Augie to push Penance away by acting like a jerk.  Of course, I'm sure their feelings won't go away and they'll have another go at it!  Which, knowing this show, will likely lead to one of them dying in front of the other, because that's usually how it goes in these types of stories!

Hugo wants to turn his orgies into a business?  And have Augie as a partner?!  I can't wait to see Lavinia's face if that happens!

Even though Lord Massen is a dick and a half, I still the way Pip Torrens rolls his eyes and casually dismisses others with his booming voice.

Lavinia is actually in league with Denis O'Hare's creepy doctor?!

Pretty solid second episode.  Continue to find Laura Donnelly and Ann Skelly to be the highlights.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

We also find out that this Detective Mundi and Mary/Singing Lady have a past, where they were engaged to be married, but Mary left him at the alter for some reason.  Twist!

If that happened around 3 years ago, I have a pretty good guess.

1 hour ago, Athena5217 said:

Does Hugo Swann have tattoos on his back or is that an indication that he is touched? I thought the maid would have said something about them, but she didn’t. 

When Hugo Swann was in bed with the man and woman in the first episode, the man had a blue makeup design on his chest, which has appeared to have transferred to Hugo Swann's back, which more likely suggests that they had sex.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

But it sounds like they knew each other from long ago and apparently; at least in Maladie's eyes; Amalia betrayed her somehow?  Amalia certainly seem to feel guilty about whatever it was, but I suspect there will be more to this.  An admittedly obvious comparison, but thanks to Maladie's maniac persona, they really are giving off a Batman/Joker vibe.

Amalia had mentioned having experience with violence in her past when she was talking with Mundy. He even asked her if her dead husband had abused her (in so many words). So what I took from that conversation is that Amalia and Maladie were in an abusive situation, as kids was my guess, and that Amalia escaped somehow and left Maladie behind to keep suffering the abuse. At least that is Maladie's viewpoint. 

Maladie's maniac persona up against Amalia's calm acceptance of guilt reminded me of the Alice/Kate relationship on Batwoman (maybe this is a Bat-world thing).  On that show, Alice and Kate are twin sisters who were in a car wreck as kids. Kate was rescued before the car went into a river and Alice was presumed dead. But in reality Alice was rescued by a psychopath who kept her prisoner and thus she becomes the manic, evil Alice. Kate has tons of guilt about not having rescued her sister (though she was a child herself). So though Alice is an evil villain who has done massive wrong, Kate continued to try and rescue her. This is how Amalia and Maladie's relationship feels to me.

I know these are jam-packed episodes and moving at the speed of light (which has bugged some critics), I am loving it for all the delights it's bringing, gadgets, special powers, smart kick-ass women, great cast, and so much more.

• Love 9

I have never watched any of the other shows mentioned -- Bat people/ Bat women/ Bat Men-=- and such -- so I have nothing to compare this to.

So Amalia and Maladie were once upon a time - Molly and Sarah. Two abused little girls perhaps? One escaped and one did not- one feels guilty about escaping and not saving the other and one blames the other for not coming back and saving her. I do like that dynamic!

So Maladie is the only one who remembers seeing the spaceship?

I thought Amalia and the detective (can't remember his name) had some interesting chemistry when they were going over the crime photos together. 

Lavinia is really the bad guy! ha! I didn't quite understand what that glowing thing was -- I will have to rewatch --- but was it the spaceship?

• Love 1

I listened to the official HBO Podcast for The Nevers and one thing that they mentioned that I didn't catch was that Mary Brighton, when she sings, only The Touched can hear her. I may have to watch that scene again to see if that is true. That might explain why Mary Brighton might have stood up her betrothed, if a great deal of her self worth was tied-up in her beautiful singing voice and she thought that that was what her fiance valued most about her.

The Podcast said that 6 Episodes is only the first half of the first Season.

I liked the 1st episode way more than I liked the 2nd.

We are certainly moving along quickly plot wise, we found out a lot about the characters and we got a fairly big reveal. Turns out that Lavinia isn't the nice rich lady that everyone thinks she is, but is actually working with the demented doctor, and they have some evil plan. This show is coming along nicely, I found myself looking forward to it this weekend so that says something I think about its quality. We are learning more about the characters, and I hope that we keep getting to know more of the people living at the house. There is a whole lot going on, a lot of factions, plot points, and characters, so hopefully no one gets too lost in the shuffle. 

So Maladie and Amalia used to be friends when they were young, were maybe in some kind of bad situation together, but for whatever reason Amalia got away and Maladie felt betrayed and abandoned, so now she wants to be her arch enemy, complete with big speeches and death traps and wanting to save her so that she can keep up their game of cat and mouse. Oh the drama! Maladie's gang is interesting, they're like part cult part terrorist cell part criminal gang, with different goals and reasons for being around. I laughed when the guy with the steam punk gun was hustling the crazy girl away when she started talking crap to the women who throws fireballs. Yeah, trying to start a fight with someone who can throw fireballs seems like a pretty bad life choice. She might be an factor in all this, considering she is apparently here just for the paycheck and not because she's interested in whatever Maladie's plan is. 

Another relationship we found out about was the detective and Mary the singer, who were apparently an item once before she called off their wedding. They still seem to care about each other and their last talk was quite warm, but I also caught a bit of a vibe between him and Amalia when they were investigating? Also sparking were Penance and Augie, who engaged in some cute geeky flirting and bonding over their powers, but sadly Lavinia ruined that by convincing him that it was better for Penance to stay away from him. Hopefully that gets sorted soon, they had nice chemistry and Penance is my favorite character so far. I should have known Lavinia was bad news right there, but I thought she was just a low key snob who looked down on the touched with pity, like she can talk about how much she wants to help them as charity cases, but would never want one brought home for dinner. I don't even know what would scandalize high society more, Penance being Touched or being Irish? Wait until Lavinia realizes her brother is Touched, she is not going to be thrilled. 

So do the doctor and Lavinia want to cut into people with powers to see how they have powers? Then when it doesn't work they lobotomize them into zombie workers to dig up this big glowing alien ball? Are they going to end up being connected to the guy with the sex parties who wants to use the touched in his Eyes Wide Shut parties? 

I like that there are a pretty wide variety of powers, your classic superpowers like fire powers and seeing the future, things that are a bit more unique like being able to see energy to build things or take over the minds of birds, to pretty weird stuff like only being able to speak other languages.   

• Love 4
14 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

When Hugo Swann was in bed with the man and woman in the first episode, the man had a blue makeup design on his chest, which has appeared to have transferred to Hugo Swann's back, which more likely suggests that they had sex.

Thanks! I forgot about the other guy.

I found myself looking forward to it this weekend so that says something I think about its quality.

I found myself looking forward to the second episode, too, tennisgirl.  It's nice to have anticipation again!

• Love 3

There were certainly some gruesome things going on.  Poor Elisabetta.  I was hoping she'd be rescued before the doctor cut into her head.  So the evil doctor is employed by Lavinia and has nothing to do with Maladie and that group.  Hmm.  And what is that giant blue orb?  Hmm.

I love, love Amalia's swagger.  She is fearless.  I really liked that she and the detective shared information (for the most part).  I'd rather see him as an ally rather than an impediment to Amalie's efforts.  And keep his men out of the girls' undergarments.

I absolutely cringed when the Touched women had to wear blue bows to identify themselves.  (Not to mention entertain the society people.)

On 4/19/2021 at 3:09 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Hope Desiree sticks around.

I know!  She was fun and useful, however at the end it looked like she and her son were moving out.

20 hours ago, Pop Tart said:

Amalia had mentioned having experience with violence in her past when she was talking with Mundy. He even asked her if her dead husband had abused her (in so many words). So what I took from that conversation is that Amalia and Maladie were in an abusive situation, as kids was my guess, and that Amalia escaped somehow and left Maladie behind to keep suffering the abuse. At least that is Maladie's viewpoint. 

Yeah, I'm thinking Molly and Sarah were separated when Amalie got married and was not allowed to have contact with Sarah anymore?  Maladie saw that as an abandonment and skin changing?

I also look forward to this show each week, more than anything else I've been watching lately.  It's fun, it's interesting, the acting is well done, the characters are appealing, the production values are superb, the story is moving along... all good things.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

There were certainly some gruesome things going on.  Poor Elisabetta.  I was hoping she'd be rescued before the doctor cut into her head.  So the evil doctor is employed by Lavinia and has nothing to do with Maladie and that group.  Hmm.  And what is that giant blue orb?  Hmm.

I love, love Amalia's swagger.  She is fearless.  I really liked that she and the detective shared information (for the most part).  I'd rather see him as an ally rather than an impediment to Amalie's efforts.  And keep his men out of the girls' undergarments.

I absolutely cringed when the Touched women had to wear blue bows to identify themselves.  (Not to mention entertain the society people.)

I know!  She was fun and useful, however at the end it looked like she and her son were moving out.

Yeah, I'm thinking Molly and Sarah were separated when Amalie got married and was not allowed to have contact with Sarah anymore?  Maladie saw that as an abandonment and skin changing?

I also look forward to this show each week, more than anything else I've been watching lately.  It's fun, it's interesting, the acting is well done, the characters are appealing, the production values are superb, the story is moving along... all good things.

I was wondering what that giant orb thing is -- is it the "spark" in the touched that the evil doctor is removing from their heads to reanimate the alien spaceship? I am no good at speculating so probs not. And Lavinia says it's = war - not fun -- what does she mean?

I personally thought Amalia and the detective had some cute chemistry . I would like to see more of that.

The blue ribbons were my first hint that Lavinia isn't all she seems to be. That was off-putting and I loved the looks the characters exchanged between themselves when told they had to wear them.

Yes! I find I am not only looking forward to each weeks eps-- I am actually re-watching them! I only do that when I really like a show.

• Love 1

Totally surprised this doesn't have its own forum. I'm loving this show - actual old school, looking-forward-to-watching, thinking-about-it-after, coming-to-forums-to-discuss LOVING this show. I'm a little concerned about a potential drop in quality once we begin to see shows after Whedon's departure, but there appear to be a lot of talented team members, so I'm hopeful.

For those who didn't follow... on a day 3 years ago, a flying silver and blue glowing object flew through the sky dropping sparkles all over London (henceforth known as the Flying Sparkle Emanator) and once it was over, everyone promptly forgot that it happened. We saw Maladie, being manhandled by orderlies likely on her way into an asylum. We saw most of the other touched, including Amalia True, who as some have assumed, appeared to be ready to end her life before becoming touched. (I don't believe her plunging into the water had anything to do with the FSE.) We also saw Lord Massen's daughter run out to see the sparkles, get "touched" by one, and drop to the ground - did she only faint or did she die? Lord Massen recalls the day "everything changed" as a day 3 years ago - the day when, perhaps, his daughter died. So it seems he might associate her death (if she died) with the appearance of the Touched even though he likely doesn't recall the FSE. If he makes that association, it's not much of a stretch to see why he hates them and sees them as a threat.

Amalia True and Maladie have a shared history - I think most of the assumptions here are probably correct. They were both in a bad situation and True escaped and, according to Maladie (AKA Sarah), changed. True has mentioned, "This is not my face"; maybe she was able to change her identity somehow to escape her bad situation and that's what Maladie is referencing when she talks about the demon shedding her skin.

Lavinia Bidlow appears to be the "bad guy" - but we don't yet know her motivation. She's obviously interested in studying the Touched. It appears they might have found the FSE or something related to it. She sees its activation as "going to war".

Big fan of Desiree. Hope she sticks around.

Edited by marcee
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

Does Lavinia pay for everything at the “orphanage” or are they self sustaining? It appears that they make some money from the laboratory. We saw the lady making the vegetables grow quickly. Do they use the large little girl to build stuff? 

• Love 1

Watching with the captions on, Amalia says, "And Maladie's got no idea what Mary's "turn" can do.  Mary is the voice of the Galan...".  Then she stops herself.  So whatever the Galan...'s are, Amalia seems to have some knowledge of it/them.  

When Lavinia Bidlow said the glowing orb meant "War", it made me think of the film Arrival and how the many of the humans could only see the alien's arrival as a threat, or an act of war.  

Fun to see Pip Torrens again.  He was one of my favorite parts of Preacher.

• Love 3