Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I wish they would not have told us the estate was used for hunting and showed us the adorable deer they would be cooking with, cuz that bummed me out and this show doesn't need any help in the bumming me out department. 

I FF mostly to the end, cuz it was very little cooking and a lot of the contestants blathering the same old lines about doing it for _____, sacrificing _______, can't go home now, blah blah blaaaahhhhhh.

The judges are cartoon characters at this point. I hate this show. Please God give me the strength to let go!!

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
On 9/12/2019 at 12:33 PM, eel21788 said:

Especially since while they were deliberating, they said it was all about the venison, then did a complete 180 and told Noah he was being eliminated because of his risotto.

I didn't think that was a 180. While he was making it they basically said he was wrong to be doing what he was because his dish was supposed to be venison focused. Their angle seemed to be he didn't make a venison dish that happened to include risotto, he made a risotto dish that happened to include venison. And the risotto was bad. Hence, bye? That's how it struck me anyway.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, El maestro said:

I guess Dorian will cook potato salad, green bean casserole and burgers during the finals.

All served in a big Tupperware dish.

While crying and saying I never cooked this before because I’m too poor to afford it...

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
On 9/13/2019 at 5:53 AM, Bluerinse666 said:

Can somebody remind me what number season of Masterchef is this? 😀

Yeah, I know it's ten because I am not in a coma when I watch, but doesn't it feel like it's been going on forever?

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, Darian said:

Yeah, I know it's ten because I am not in a coma when I watch, but doesn't it feel like it's been going on forever?

Then it should be:  🤣

image.thumb.png.124bcbc0a1b784201e76d328e22730bb.png

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 6
7 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

This is how I feel about this season.

C767F580-B7CC-497B-8A66-5736EAEBB9C9.jpeg

In case your haven’t done so, do yourself a favor and watch Masterchef UK The Professionals (google it for video). Oh my. It is all kinds of awesome. I think episode 11 is the most recent. You’re welcome!

ETA... warning. Masterchef The Professionals is addictive and you may not sleep for weeks trying to cram all seasons into your delirious watching pleasure.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
On 9/13/2019 at 6:53 AM, OoogleEyes said:

Nigella used to have a cooking show back in the late 90's early aughts? Anyway, I remember her being kind of sexy when she tasted her food. 

When she walked out I just hooted because of all the bad press she had from her ex-husband.

Bye bye Noah!

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, mertensia said:

I was trying to think: how often have they actually cooked their own recipes? Like, 5 times? The rest are re-creations or taking over restaurants. That's abysmal.

That’s why I’ve lost interest in this show. It used to be about home cooks showing their stuff and that got put on the back burner several seasons ago. I blame Courtney, Gordon & Co. wanted her to win so badly they changed up the entire show. She used salt instead of sugar when making doughnuts and they just overlooked it. Like the string around Nick’s steak.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 9/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, Yeah No said:

Now it looks like they'll cut Sarah next, then I really don't have a read on whether the winner will be Nick or Dorian.  All season long they have been giving both of them winner's edits so it's hard to tell.  If this show is going to remain typical of itself it will go to Dorian because she has the better sob/backstory.  Right now I'd prefer it if Sarah won even though they've annoyed us to death with making her refer to her military background in every sentence.

Fortunately for Sarah, she's "former" military, according to her chyron, or else, they'd have had her in a uniform the entire season.

While I sympathize with the posters upthread that are not going to watch future seasons of the show because the winner seems to be already chosen, it's always seemed that way to me before.  How many seasons have we watched that we already knew 5 episodes in who the "chosen" one was?  Remember Claudia?  Courtney?  Christine Ha?  How many of them have there been that have been the chosen, anointed one all season long that eventually won?  This is nothing new for this show, but I agree, it sucks.

I was one of the people who said this upthread.  While this is very true, I haven't felt as overwhelming a need to purge myself of this show (and the rest of Gordon's shows) as I do now.  Apparently, stunning sensational, amazing SEASON 10! finally broke me.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 9/14/2019 at 3:16 PM, Spunkygal said:

In case your haven’t done so, do yourself a favor and watch Masterchef UK The Professionals (google it for video). Oh my. It is all kinds of awesome. I think episode 11 is the most recent. You’re welcome!

ETA... warning. Masterchef The Professionals is addictive and you may not sleep for weeks trying to cram all seasons into your delirious watching pleasure.

The regular (home cook) UK MasterChef is also excellent.  They don't do restaurant wars, but when they're down to the final 8 (?), they go to a couple of truly high end restaurants and each cook will prepare a different dish according to the chefs' incredibly  high expectations.  It's amazing to watch.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Brookside said:

The regular (home cook) UK MasterChef is also excellent.  They don't do restaurant wars, but when they're down to the final 8 (?), they go to a couple of truly high end restaurants and each cook will prepare a different dish according to the chefs' incredibly  high expectations.  It's amazing to watch.

Do you know what the most current season is? I’m afraid to search because it will undoubtedly spoil the winner.

I watched my first ever episode of UK Masterchef today and I simply did not understand what was going on! First of all, nobody yelled and nobody threw food. Nobody made condescending and rude comments. Nobody spit anything out or used the F word. Nobody overused the words Awesome, Amazing, Season, and/or 10. And nobody was dressed in overalls. How can we be expected to enjoy ourselves without all that?

In all seriousness the big thing for me was every dish looked and sounded super delicious. And the judges were actually helpful and nice. Time is really spent on cooking and we, the audience, actually get to learn things. And everyone was super British (obviously), which I love.

I don't think I'll watch Gordon's Ego Show tonight. I'll just wait and see what you all say and maybe watch later.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, zibnchy said:

I don't think I'll watch Gordon's Ego Show tonight. I'll just wait and see what you all say and maybe watch later.

But you missed Aaron's first pearl of the night about the appetizers...."you'll make one for each judge, that's THREE total."  And he held up 3 fingers, in case they missed it.  

Wine, I need wine.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2

OK Folks, here's what's in store for the finale of "SEASON FUKN' TEN"

Finale Part 1:  Returning from their home towns after a whirlwind trip across the pond, the Top Three home cooks are ready to tackle their final dishes in hopes of crossing the finish line and coming out on top! All eyes will be on the chefs as the legendary MASTERCHEF kitchen is transformed into a battle ring full of friends, family and former winners ready to watch their favorite Season Ten chef-testants cook for their lives. The finalists must execute a superior three-course meal for the judges; the entirety of Season Ten has led to this crucial and exciting moment! Only one will win the title of MASTERCHEF, an opportunity to learn hands-on in each of the judges' restaurants and the $250,000 grand prize.

Let me guess.... one will win the appetizer round, one will win the entree, and one will win the dessert... to keep us all suspended in absolute fear of who will win the AMAZING SEASON 10 MASTERCHEF TITLE!!!

No cookbook for the winner anymore. Cheapens the whole thing, in my opinion. And points back to Gordon as having this for a popularity contest.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, cooksdelight said:

Let me guess.... one will win the appetizer round, one will win the entree, and one will win the dessert... to keep us all suspended in absolute fear of who will win the AMAZING SEASON 10 MASTERCHEF TITLE!!!

You probably hit the stunning, amazing, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious nail right on the head.

• LOL 4
  • Love 2

These judges can’t have it all ways. With some cooks, all they want is new, different and sophisticated.  Then with others, like Dorian, simple food is best. Sorry, but to me, Dorian’s food would work at Golden Corral or a small storefront diner and not an upscale restaurant.  It might taste good, but the foods are too simplistic. 

Edited by KLovestoShop
  • Love 7

I like Dorian, but the idea that she is at the forefront of elevating low country cuisine is ridiculous.

I hope she throws away that awful wig. Go natural, Dorian!

Her daughter is adorable. Happy times for Dorian's family! When she explained the "mama's hands" plates, I was 98% sure she had it in the bag.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 6

Yessssss!!!! Dorian did it!   I had a good feeling about her all season.

Something about Sara to me.....is just off.  All season.

Dorian was always professional and confident while cooking. 

My favorite scene was when Dorian was losing her shit over Subha during the Pair challenge.  

Dorian was so funny!

Anyhoo, was Subha there?  I didn’t see him.

oh! Yayyyyyyh!  For the Viking kitchen! 🥰

Edited by Dance4Life
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

Her daughter is adorable. Happy times for Dorian's family! When she explained the "mama's hands" plates, I was 98% sure she had it in the bag.

I’m sorry, but a plate should not win the show.

I didn’t like Nick’s concept at all. People don’t usually like avant-guard or unusual high concept.  They want food that looks and tastes good, and not because you serve it on a book, or on a hand plate. 

What I didn’t like is when Dorian’s husband yelled “Don’t worry about the haters”.  That kind of comment has no business in a show like this.  Not everything in life is about hate, and to bring that attitude into a competition like this is unnecessary——-and wrong.

But in all honesty, I think this was probably the weakest group of home cooks, especially for SEASON 10!!!!!!!

• Love 11

Totally agree on all points.  I thought the plate was creepy.  You gonna serve food on THAT plate in your restaurant, Joe?  Guess they had to keep with the "you on a plate" theme.  And cheering for someone other than your wife, doesn't make you a "hater".

One last point would somebody tell Joe that it's "yin/yang", not ying/yang.  That just bugs me.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I’m sorry, but a plate should not win the show.

I didn’t like Nick’s concept at all. People don’t usually like avant-guard or unusual high concept.  They want food that looks and tastes good, and not because you serve it on a book, or on a hand plate. 

What I didn’t like is when Dorian’s husband yelled “Don’t worry about the haters”.  That kind of comment has no business in a show like this.  Not everything in life is about hate, and to bring that attitude into a competition like this is unnecessary——-and wrong.

But in all honesty, I think this was probably the weakest group of home cooks, especially for SEASON 10!!!!!!!

Yea, I agree.  The show aired it, too. 🤣

The other contestants were up in the balcony talking shit and Noah just wanted to be heard.  He kept yelling super loud for Sara. 

They also aired Bree dissing Sara.  I did not like that, either.

I do think they were up on the balcony hating! 

Before her husband said that.  They had a shot of Dorian looking annoyed at all the balcony cat calling. 

So, maybe something was said.....that did not make the show.

Dorian won! 🥳

• Love 5

I didn't even care who won. Nice that it's someone over 40, for once - but that's all. Dorian only won because of her sob story, always bringing up her dead mom and being way too emotional over every fricking thing. Her food was nowhere near sophisticated enough.

Nick was all style and not much substance. Eww, that book display was nasty - and so wasteful. I'm glad (and surprised) they didn't reward that.

And Sarah looked and sounded sedated all season - but she looked really angry at losing. I think they figured she wouldn't be able to train at their restaurants with those young kids.

• Love 5

You will never, ever convince me that if Nick hadn't undercooked that second piece of fish, he wouldn't be the winner. Dorian was the next best thing (I actually thought they wanted to eliminate her first, so he'd have an easier time in the dessert round). The "train in all three of our restaurants" was made for Nick as a winner. He just ... couldn't execute when the time came. The way Joe was saying "well, he only undercooked one piece of fish" ... just, wow.

Congratulations, Dorian! When the prize morphed from "who can we train to be just like us" to "who do we trust to cook consistently well and not embarrass us," she was the logical choice. A solid, consistent cook with a nice story. And for the hyperbolic "Season! Ten!," maybe that's quietly revolutionary in its own way.

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 7

I was rooting for Nick all season so I was bummed he got eliminated before the dessert round. That being said, I think his concepts were too avant garde and I wasn't a fan of them. Once he was out of the competition I didn't care who won so yay, Dorian I guess?

I hope Nick takes Joe up on his offer to work in any of his restaurants or join him in Italy. Go to Italy, Nick, it's gorgeous and the food is amazing. 

• Love 8

I cheered out loud when Nick was eliminated. From then on I was rooting for Sarah...oh well, not that I cared that much either way. I suppose Dorian fits their narrative better to train under all 3 of them. I don't think it was because of the young children Sarah had though. Many chefs have young children and are successful and her husband certainly supported her.

Edited by Gramto6
Typo
  • Love 3

Dorian was the best cook of the night.  She seemed to make the fewest mistakes throughout the three courses, and she made a unique dessert.  Sarah's dessert looked like raw liver.  I wasn't expecting Dorian to win, after Jerron's win last year and all the rips on the rustic quality of her food,  Since they consistently eliminated whoever should have been eliminated the week before,  I also wasn't expecting Nick to win,   Like Gordo told us, it was the most epic yet.  I think he said this was season 10.  Who knew?   The other seasons and episodes were less epic.  I'll bet season 11 will be the toughest, most stunning season ever and extra super epic,  I wonder if anyone got to dress themselves for the finale.  It was nice to see Noah lose his Mr Greenjeans costume.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
47 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I suppose Dorian fits their narrative better to train under all 3 of them. I don't think it was because of the young children Sarah had though. Many chefs have young children and are successful and her husband certainly supported her.

Gordon has 5 kids.  Jamie Oliver has 5 kids, so I don’t think it was the kid factor.  But I just couldn’t see any of the three finalists to be mailable for three very different restaurants.

As an aside, Joe and his mother Lidia are closing some of their restaurants as part of the fallout from their partnership with Mario Batali.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
51 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

Did Aron say Nick is the youngest person to make the finale? What about Becky? How old was she when she won? Oh, am I thinking of MC Canada??

I thought Whitney Miller was the youngest.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Dorian, so I'm glad he she won

On 9/18/2019 at 3:25 PM, zibnchy said:

I watched my first ever episode of UK Masterchef today and I simply did not understand what was going on! First of all, nobody yelled and nobody threw food. Nobody made condescending and rude comments. Nobody spit anything out or used the F word. Nobody overused the words Awesome, Amazing, Season, and/or 10. And nobody was dressed in overalls. How can we be expected to enjoy ourselves without all that?

I think you accidentally turned on an episode of The Great British Bake Off by mistake ;:-)

On 9/18/2019 at 6:21 PM, Dance4Life said:

Was that a real book?  Grosssssssss!!!

That's what I was wondering, I hope it wa some kind of edible paper or something that was meant to serve food, & not just some book he bought.

Edited by GaT
Because one letter can make a big difference
  • Love 2