Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (US) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Micah just plagiarized chef Grant plate. He spent every minute on camera sucking up to chef Achantz, or as Gordon would say, kissing up his arse.

Dorian, zero creativity. Just putting a cake in a bowl. How the heck are you supposed to eat. I think judges support her too much.

Jamie should have won. Maybe he is not as marketable as other chefs.

Edited by El maestro
  • Love 8

If I hear the word “deconstructed” again when somebody is talking about food, I am going to throw up. 

As as somebody said on Chopped, chefs tends to use the words “rustic” and “deconstructed” when they screw up.🍖

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Ugh, they've done that before and I hate it. I wonder what would happen if a. no one stepped forward or b. multiple people stepped forward or c. the wrong person stepped forward. 

I'm no vegetarian but I also don't like thinking about where my food is coming from and I find it really gross when they bring in the animal they're about to cook with (obviously not that particular animal but, the species). It's offensive. 

• Love 13

I missed it tonite.  Can someone summarize?

ETA: Well, if I can stay up till 11 pm I guess I can catch it. But I'd rather just have the recap--thanks!

Edited by adhoc
16 minutes ago, Samwise979 said:

I also don't like thinking about where my food is coming from

I think it is important to understand and have some respect for animals that we kill in order to eat them. If one only understands packaged meats in the grocery stores, I think you are disconnected from the animal source. I was a city kid, but spent a summer on several family farms in rural Wisconsin. I killed chickens and cleaned them and then ate them, it was smelly and nasty but part of life. I also helped (or tried to, I was a little kid) in butchering a pig, not a fun experience but the fresh country sausage was the best sausage I have ever eaten. Maybe the solution is from Douglas Adams, breed animals that that want to be eaten and can speak up to tell you that.

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, adhoc said:

I missed it tonite.  Can someone summarize?

Intro of Marley the pig.

Demo by Arron making chorizo

Cooks tasked with making sausage

Judges walk around annoying cooks (at least they annoy me) (let them cook and don't touch their food)

Judging takes place and Joe announces he has a sophisticated palette and there is no garlic bread in Italy (what an ass)

Gordan said to Joe "you're such a snob"

Bri cries again (she plated enough food for a canary).

Spoiler

Nothing spectacular for the rest. (I thought Bri, Subha, and Jamie were bottom three, but there was none)

GR asked the cook who thought they were the worst to step forward. After a bit of hesitation, Jamie went home.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5

I thought Jamie's comment to Subha when he was leaving was uncalled for. When he said to Subha, "If you can beat me you can beat everyone ( or all of them)." Was pompous, like he was the best, best chef there in season 10.

Edited by Gramto6
  • Love 3

I don’t know why judges were complaining about Jamie’s plating calling it messy. Micah presented his dish in a way which could have been done by a first grade student in a cafeteria tray in bad day.

I wonder if Jamie wanted to go home. When he was going back to the line after the judging, he said to the other contestants that he was ready to go home.

Edited by El maestro
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Samwise979 said:

Ugh, they've done that before and I hate it. I wonder what would happen if a. no one stepped forward or b. multiple people stepped forward or c. the wrong person stepped forward. 

I'm no vegetarian but I also don't like thinking about where my food is coming from and I find it really gross when they bring in the animal they're about to cook with (obviously not that particular animal but, the species). It's offensive. 

I may be wrong but I think some time ago, somebody was starting to take his apron and the judges kicked out another person. Maybe was in another MC from another country.

Edited by El maestro
  • Love 1

Oh for Dawg's sake Bri. That's all I have to say about her.

No it isn't.

"Buh I made tagliatelle from scratch!"  So what?  It was a sausage challenge, you annoying nitwit.

(Tears ensue)

Based on his dish, Jamie had to go tonight, but it made me a little sad. He was something of a backbencher, but certainly not the most irritating twit on fabulous, stupendous Season Ten.

• LOL 1
  • Love 13
44 minutes ago, spiderpig said:

Oh for Dawg's sake Bri. That's all I have to say about her.

No it isn't.

"Buh I made tagliatelle from scratch!"  So what?  It was a sausage challenge, you annoying nitwit.

(Tears ensue)

Based on his dish, Jamie had to go tonight, but it made me a little sad. He was something of a backbencher, but certainly not the most irritating twit on fabulous, stupendous Season Ten.

And just when I was really starting to appreciate Jamie's non-annoying low key presence.  I will definitely do a happy dance when Bri, her fake eyelashes, fake extensions, and fake tears are finally cut.  How many weeks in a row has she been in the bottom now?

• Love 12

In honor of the stunning season ten,

I’ll only write in ten-syllable lines.

“Not in a casing”—that’s what they all say

This sausage funnel extrudes luscious meat

I find that funny ‘cause I’m twelve years old

Make this sausage happen tonight buddy

I use that phrase all the time on Grindr

Rustic comfort stunning sausage hero

Noah’s Irish meat looks so amazing

Septic background gives him an advantage

I zoned out for about twenty minutes

Exploding sausages with skins burning

Sounds like a more compelling narrative

Than Nick’s Pyrex bowl description last night

Let a puree be a stunning puree

Is the only advice needed in life

Bri: stunningly defensive crying. Ugh.

Too much crema on the sausage! Scandal!

“(There’s) Too Much Booty in the Pants”: great song

This season is so stunning boring

Only Subha winning could redeem it

(And there’s no way in hell that’s happening.)

5 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Is anyone else mildly horrified?

No, but I am stunningly and amazing horrified.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
11 minutes ago, Aerobicidal said:

In honor of the stunning season ten,

I’ll only write in ten-syllable lines.

“Not in a casing”—that’s what they all say

This sausage funnel extrudes luscious meat

I find that funny ‘cause I’m twelve years old

Make this sausage happen tonight buddy

I use that phrase all the time on Grindr

Rustic comfort stunning sausage hero

Noah’s Irish meat looks so amazing

Septic background gives him an advantage

I zoned out for about twenty minutes

Exploding sausages with skins burning

Sounds like a more compelling narrative

Than Nick’s Pyrex bowl description last night

Let a puree be a stunning puree

Is the only advice needed in life

Bri: stunningly defensive crying. Ugh.

Too much crema on the sausage! Scandal!

“(There’s) Too Much Booty in the Pants”: great song

This season is so stunning boring

Only Subha winning could redeem it

(And there’s no way in hell that’s happening.)

No, but I am stunningly and amazing horrified.

It's still not boring for me, just annoying.  It might still get boring if the next challenges center on something benign like pudding or crackers.  Go Subha!

• Love 2

Most people don't have meat grinders/sausage makers, Gordon. Stop acting like everyone has one because Ma Ingalls did in Little House in the Big Woods.

Bri, honey, you're just not all that. Plus, how the Hell do your eyes stay open with those ginormous fake eyelashes glued to your eyelids?

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

It was nice seeing Dino on Wednesday's show.  And all the put downs of Shuba remind me of how Gordon interacted with Dino.  He put him down.  Laughed at him.  But in the end, Dino triumphed.

I remember in the finale when Gordon told guest judge Joe that Dino was making squid ink pasta and Joe dismissively ran down the list of what could go wrong.  Then when he went out to talk to Dino, Dino preemptively told him all the challenges and how he was anticipating and dealing with then.  Joe had already compared Dino's cooking to Joe's mom's cooking.  And he ended up winning.

Do I think Suhba will win?  Probably not.  But I would definitely enjoy it if he did.

• Love 7

Finally!  The Chefs had enough of Bri and her bullshit.

As soon as Bri sets her plate down.

Aarón yells........BORING!!!

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻🤣

Then Gordon and Joe went in on her!

Joe: Pasta with BUTTER.....WTF?

Bri: but, Chef....I made the tagliatelle  from scratch. 

Joe: Bullshit!  The challenge was Sausages! 

Gordon:  Why do you keep feeding us baby rations?

Bri: As the Plating Queen....I want to present the most elegant dishes.

Gordon: Bullshit! We gave you FIVE sausages.

(probably the show’s ingredient rations)

Bri tears up and tells us for the 100th time......’it is hard when you just want to do your best!  Blah....blah....

Bri messes up next week......I think they send her home.

She is not listening to them. She keeps  serving her 2 ounce portions and not showcasing the ‘challenge ingredient.’

• LOL 4
  • Love 8

Sad to see Jamie go, but that dish did look pretty horrible. 

Subhas dish didn't look that appealing, but I can see how it may have tasted much better than it looked. 

I thought Micah forgot Aschatz wasn't judging, that wood plank plating was over the top and overkill IMO. 

I would have poached the sausage in a bag or sou vide; gently boiling made me cringe as I imagine that robbed a lot of the flavor as it seeped into the water. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Dance4Life said:

and, Of course, Shari makes homemade sausages for her family every week!

I guess she spends all her time in the kitchen making macarons, sausages, and Indian food.

IMO she's (Shari) gone right after Bri.

Still looking at  Micah, Sarah, and Dorian, (with Nick as a possibility, only because GR seems to have fallen in love with him) for the finale.

Edited by preeya
  • LOL 3
17 hours ago, hhawks said:

The more I think about last night's episode, the more I'm convinced it was the worst episode I've ever seen of Master Chef (I started watching about the fifth season).

Well bless your heart.  The first two seasons were actually watch worthy.  Regular folks making nice meals.  Stuff their family and friends loved!  I would actually make notes to give a try.  

17 hours ago, hhawks said:

It's always only about the taste, with attractive plating as a non-essential bonus

I'm an awesome cook. Pretty? Oh. No. It ain't.  Send a call out to eat here? They line up on the doorstep.

You got your plate, your bowl, everything staying warm.  Go back for seconds. 

When everyone is whining that they are so full, never eat again, but bring their own Tupperware for leftovers.  That's a win/score.

That's what I consider a MasterChef home cook.  I want those recipes.

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
12 hours ago, hhawks said:

And just when I was really starting to appreciate Jamie's non-annoying low key presence.  I will definitely do a happy dance when Bri, her fake eyelashes, fake extensions, and fake tears are finally cut.  How many weeks in a row has she been in the bottom now?

Also fake lips and boobs. Maybe even the nose.

• LOL 2

The contestants who were sent home usually mentioned that they've learned a lot and are better chefs because of this experience. 

So are there segments we don't see where they're actually being taught how to cook various dishes?

I'm assuming so. None of the chefs in the episode (except one) had ever made sausage before. So someone had to teach them how to grind the meat and fill the casings. 

I don't know what Comcast did here last night but it said it was showing MC but actually ran The Big Bang Theory.  My DVR even said it recorded MC but it recorded the BBT.  The YouTube video referenced above has been taken down so I missed the whole episode.  Grrr. 

Jamie was one of my favorites so I'm sorry he was sent home.  

Several people have mentioned Dino.  When was he on?  I don't remember seeing him at all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, topanga said:

The contestants who were sent home usually mentioned that they've learned a lot and are better chefs because of this experience. 

So are there segments we don't see where they're actually being taught how to cook various dishes?

I'm assuming so. None of the chefs in the episode (except one) had ever made sausage before. So someone had to teach them how to grind the meat and fill the casings. 

Not sure about this season, but in past seasons, often after being told the challenge, they stop recording and get a lesson and recipe. They've often also been allowed to consult recipe books. Also rules are gone over with Broadcast Standards/network lawyers, questions can be asked, etc. 

Also not entirely sure about MC compared to other cooking shows, but, the contestants are sometimes asked to cook the same meal three times: once to be judged, once to get in extra shots of them cooking and technique, and another to produce the version of the dish they get the beauty close-ups from.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, mlp said:

Several people have mentioned Dino.  When was he on?  I don't remember seeing him at all.

Dino showed up in a commercial for a cooking product. I have no idea what the product was. Spices? Just happy to see Dino.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 7:14 AM, cooksdelight said:

If she had made a spun sugar globe that you could then smash with your fork and eat as part of the dessert, I’d have given her the coveted trophy right there.

O/T: The chefs on Best Baker in America did exactly that.  Now that was some high quality baking.

• Love 3
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:36 PM, TzuShih said:

On the bright side, it reminded me of the 'olden days' when kids went to Jahn's Ice Cream Parlour and devoured its number one crowd pleaser:  The Kitchen Sink  (A little bit of everything delicious! Out of 30 locations, there's only one left....in Queens, NY.) ☹️

For us it was The Trough at Farrell's.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, El maestro said:

I wonder if Jamie wanted to go home. When he was going back to the line after the judging, he said to the other contestants that he was ready to go home.

I interpreted that as, "If it's me tonight, then I'm ready to take it like a man." 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Also fake lips and boobs. Maybe even the nose.

I'll have to pay more attention next episode to see if any of her parts are real.  Maybe her voice is real since its so annoying.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Charlesman said:

Not sure about this season, but in past seasons, often after being told the challenge, they stop recording and get a lesson and recipe. They've often also been allowed to consult recipe books. Also rules are gone over with Broadcast Standards/network lawyers, questions can be asked, etc. 

Also not entirely sure about MC compared to other cooking shows, but, the contestants are sometimes asked to cook the same meal three times: once to be judged, once to get in extra shots of them cooking and technique, and another to produce the version of the dish they get the beauty close-ups from.

Good to know.  I've been wondering lately how much actual coaching and help they get.  It just doesn't seem possible for them to make up recipes for dishes they know nothing about.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Dino showed up in a commercial for a cooking product. I have no idea what the product was. Spices? Just happy to see Dino.

It was on Wednesday's episode, not Thursday's elimination.  He was in a bit before a commercial break with Claudia (?), the Latina winner from a few years ago.  They both made combo Italian/Mexican mash ups.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, hhawks said:

Good to know.  I've been wondering lately how much actual coaching and help they get.  It just doesn't seem possible for them to make up recipes for dishes they know nothing about.

In a nutshell, "the show is scripted"

• Love 2
7 hours ago, mlp said:

Dino was a kinda kooky but lovable guy..  I don't remember which stunning, fabulous season he was on.  He was a cooking fool.

Dude could take take $1/ lb Chuck and make you wanna pay $20. for the plate.  He had the sweetest personality. Dino is why some of us suffer through this crap, hoping for another Dino.

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
56 minutes ago, preeya said:

In a nutshell, "the show is scripted"

All tv shows are scripted. I doubt many of them knew who was Grant Achantz before the show.

Reality tv is an oxymoron. It is heavily scripted. Contestants may not have a script with lines to say, but the writers and producers influence what they say. 

• Love 5