Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

I'm torn because while I like Kate and Clint from the comics and think Steinfeld is a great actress who could carry a franchise, but the MCU version of Hawkeye could be the star of a show called "Characters I Don't Care About."

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
42 minutes ago, Perfect Xero said:

I'm torn because while I like Kate and Clint from the comics and think Steinfeld is a great actress who could carry a franchise, but the MCU version of Hawkeye could be the star of a show called "Characters I Don't Care About."

I'm a huge fan of Hailee as an actress and have been ever since True Grit, but the name connected with this that gets me excited is definitely Matt Fraction. (Second Place: Pizza Dog!)

6 hours ago, RedElf said:

Kit Harrington was horrible in Pompeii (plus, he came across as really short.  I don't know how tall he really is).

He's not super tall, but that doesn't have to be a negative.  Tom Cruise is short and has had a successful career (personal drama aside).  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Could his own show start to make you care, though?  (I don't know how else to phrase that, please don't think I'm being snippy or flippant, just an honest question.)  I liked him well enough in the movies, he was just massively under-utilized, and therefore never developed and a bit boring.  He could have been so much more well rounded, so maybe this show is finally that opportunity? 

4 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

Yeah, the Fraction Hawkeye run is great, but it has a completely different version of Hawkeye to the MCU one. 

Fraction's Hawkeye is built on years and years of continuity of Clint as a ladies man and a brash joker who suddenly underwent several incredibly painful traumas (which included dying twice and remembering both times). The MCU Hawkeye has plenty of trauma but none of the personality.

I find Jeremy Renner a dull actor anyway, and completely the wrong casting choice for a character like Hawkeye. He's been underwhelming from the start, and while I will watch Hawkeye because I love the Kate Bishop character, I'm not expecting to like it that much.

• Love 3

Does anyone know when the show is set? I mean, if it is set pre-Endgame, it could be pretty interesting. If it is set past-Endgame I would be wondering what Clint is doing anywhere which isn't close to his family...

6 hours ago, swanpride said:

Does anyone know when the show is set? I mean, if it is set pre-Endgame, it could be pretty interesting. If it is set past-Endgame I would be wondering what Clint is doing anywhere which isn't close to his family...

It's post-Endgame, they're going to get into what he was doing as Ronin.

9 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Could his own show start to make you care, though?  (I don't know how else to phrase that, please don't think I'm being snippy or flippant, just an honest question.)  I liked him well enough in the movies, he was just massively under-utilized, and therefore never developed and a bit boring.  He could have been so much more well rounded, so maybe this show is finally that opportunity? 

For me, the answer is no.  I am not a fan of Jeremy Renner.  The character could be interesting if any other actor played him and (this is a big and) the show actually holds him accountable for his actions during the Blip.  Endgame took the character into an extremely dark place, and I will not watch a show with him being able to play happy family with zero repercussions.  I will read reviews of the first episode to see if Disney has the guts to hold Clint's feet to the fire.  I don't want internal angst, I want actual consequences.  I want to see his wife kick him out for what he did at the very least.  

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, swanpride said:

I always kind of liked the fact that there was an avenger who managed to have a somewhat healthy family life. Granted, the family dynamic Scott had was more fun. 

I liked that as well. “I’ve always supported your Avenging” was a great line. It was fun that amongst a group of big personalities, someone was just a completely boring homebody.

That said, it’s so completely at odds with mainstream comics Hawkeye it makes me wonder how they’re going to pair him with Kate Bishop. Is he going to be a sad sack like he was in the Matt Fraction comics? Did his wife kick him out after learning how extreme he went during the blip?

I would’ve killed Hawkeye and had Black Widow live during Endgame. But we’ll see if they can reinvent him. 

• Love 4

I like Jeremy Renner as an actor.  I don't know what to think about some of the accusations in his personal life, but that's not for me to judge.  He's a good actor, and he's actually a good singer, too.  I was always hoping for more Hawkeye in each Avengers movie, and (as a new-as-of-2020 fan to the MCU) was disappointed to learn that he never got his own solo movie. 

I'm looking forward to his show, but know nothing about Kate Bishop.  I also don't think I've seen Hailee Steinfeld in anything but Pitch Perfect 2 and 3, so I'm a bit skeptical that she can pull it off.  We'll see!  

Renner's my least favorite Marvel actor by a hefty margin, but his Hawkeye was only dull and disappointing. I actively loathed the Darcy Lewis character for years, yet WandaVision managed to turn me around on her, so apparently anything's possible on the Disney+ shows.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

actively loathed the Darcy Lewis character for years, yet WandaVision managed to turn me around on her, so apparently anything's possible on the Disney+ shows.

I went from loathing to mere dislike LOL. I doubt I will ever like the actress (tried Two Broke Girls didn't like her there either).  

• Love 1
On 4/21/2021 at 5:02 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

He claims 5'8 so probably 5'6 😂 In Hollywood actors always lie about height.

It would be a waste if those lifts RDJ left behind went unused.

And it's possible training Kate is Clint's punishment for what he did as Ronin.  After 5 years he probably wants to do nothing more but pick up where he left off and enjoy retirement on the farm, not train his successor. 

Speaking of RDJ, Tony will come back to life if RDJ decides he needs a new house - he'd work out a Homecoming type deal where he got roughly a million dollars per minute of screentime

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I'm sort of the same way (although I only ever read one storyline with Kate Bishop, the one that was free on Kindle with Amazon Prime). But I loved West Coast Avengers Hawkeye and 60's Stan and Jack writing Avengers Hawkeye. But movie Hawkeye, so much meh.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

It's possible but it would be a significant uphill climb for me as this version of Clint is so tied into being an off the grid family man who really loves his family that lives off the grid*.

I'm also not sure that Renner has the charm required to get away with completely reinventing the character in a short time the way Hemsworth did with Thor. The thing is they have to be more careful in how they change Hawkeye because if he looks like he's forgotten about his family he's just going to look like an ass.

*One thing I've long wondered since we met his family and hope they address on the show is whether Clint's kids have actual lives  and friends or have they been living on a farm in the middle of nowhere with no human contact outside of their parents, each other, and the occasional visit from Aunt Nat?

Edited by Perfect Xero
  • Love 2

On a personal level, I think Renner comes off as unlikable, but that was never something I cared about. 

Regarding Hawkeye, I like the character. Not my favourite, but that is mostly because there are so many other characters who get more screen time, attention and juicier storylines. And I don't care one bit how the character is "supposed to be" in the comics. It's not like they can't do another take on the character later on, or transfer a few ideas to the legacy characters. 

• Love 1

Hawkeye is probably my least favorite Avenger (and Renner probably wasn't the best casting choice) but I don't dislike him. A Disney Plus series might work better for him than a movie.

Edited by Oreo2234

I am not enthused about the Disney+ Hawkeye show (except I hope they show a lot of the dog), but based on how much I've enjoyed WandaVision and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, I trust the team chosen will make it must watch TV for me (as I expect of all MCU D+ shows, at least at this point).

I agree Renner's Hawkeye isn't exactly an exciting character but Comic Book Hawkeye was, among other things....

-A liar and hypocrite who claimed he never started off as a villain

-A delusional man who used to believe Captain America was the least of the Avengers despite the fact that he has no powers and his one important skill is firing gimmick arrows.

-A guy who once took the side of his wife's rapist when his wife let said rapist die, shrieking at her "Avengers don't kill!"

Seriously, do we need that Hawkeye in the MCU?

• Love 1

Mackie was the best part of the series to me (particularly when interacting with Carl Lumbly), so I'll be looking forward to the new movie. Just please, don't fast forward/skip narrative steps like the series did with Walker's "redemption," or make the antagonists a ragtag handful of activist-terrorists constantly on the run from the authorities who are ALSO somehow influential and good enough at espionage to have a massive conspiracy in place to overthrow the world governments (which are apparently led by one US senator?) on short notice.

• Love 4
On 4/24/2021 at 8:32 AM, benteen said:

NO!

I never liked the actor or character. So I won't be watching his show. Or any other MCU show or movie.  My love for the movies ended with Endgame and what they did with my Captain America. I only watched The Falcon and Winter Soldier because of Bucky. I wanted more of his story. I thought the show was entertaining and had some great action scenes but over all I was a little disappointed.

• Love 1
On 4/24/2021 at 11:32 AM, benteen said:

I agree Renner's Hawkeye isn't exactly an exciting character but Comic Book Hawkeye was, among other things....

-A liar and hypocrite who claimed he never started off as a villain

-A delusional man who used to believe Captain America was the least of the Avengers despite the fact that he has no powers and his one important skill is firing gimmick arrows.

-A guy who once took the side of his wife's rapist when his wife let said rapist die, shrieking at her "Avengers don't kill!"

No movie ever explored Hawkeye that much, but I would have to say that he was nearly the opposite of these three things.  (As examples:  by Endgame, he knew what he had been doing for the past 5 years was wrong; while I don't recall he ever actually apologized for it, he definitely didn't deny it.  He volunteered for the first time travel test run.  He didn't really care if he lived or died at that point, I know, but he was at least a team player again.  He most definitely respected Captain America and took his orders from him.  He also joked about how he was on a floating city and all he had were a bow and some arrows - "it makes no sense."  AoU and Endgame showed that he loved his wife so much that I'm sure he'd never side against her.) 

I'm glad we got a protective, sarcastic, hero version of Hawkeye instead!  I'm VERY glad they changed him for the MCU!  

• Love 5

I really loved Falcon and the Winter Soldier it was so good and it made me appreciate Sam as a character more(who I always loved)and made me love Bucky so much. 

Im so glad that Marvel Studios is doing these limited series on these characters that’s not focused on the big screen. WandaVision was also amazing. 

I have always said this and always will but Marvel is at its best when it stays grounded. The Guardians, Captain Marvel, and Thor are all amazing but Marvel focusing on real world problems and situations is where they thrive IMO. And TFATWS did shine. 

Also I’m glad Marvel is going all in with Anthony Mackie as Captain America. He’s great as Sam and Cap and I’m so happy that people have embraced him. I really miss Chris E and would give it all to have him back but I’ve accepted that his Steve Rogers is done cinematically and the character won’t be seen for a while on screen. But I have the movies and comics to tide me over. It was an amazing ride but I’m excited for what’s to come from Marvel. 

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

My guess is a proper Eternals trailer is imminent.

Interesting title for the Captain Marvel sequel. Bodes well for Monica, I think.

Monica and Kamala, note that both of their emblems are in the title. Looks like they'll all be co-leads. Very exciting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This video is good, and includes the teaser trailer for Eternals.

Is that the true Eternals teaser trailer or just YouTube channels trying to get more views by mislabeling it? It seems more like a sizzle reel. 

It's definitely relabeled to generate views.  The official Marvel channel titles it "Marvel Studios celebrates the movies"

I do wonder how nervous Marvel is about the next phase now that we're diving into some of the niche corners of the comics.  Sooner or later this run of dominance has to end, so how are they going to respond when that happens?

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Dani said:

Is that the true Eternals teaser trailer or just YouTube channels trying to get more views by mislabeling it? It seems more like a sizzle reel. 

It's not the real trailer, but one of those ones that they put out that's only like 15-20 seconds long.  I saw it labeled like that tons of places - I just clicked on this one to share.  This video was posted tons of places.  I don't see how it isn't a "trailer" though, because it's not like someone else made it up; Marvel/Disney clearly released this small amount of footage.

(edited)
3 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

It's not the real trailer, but one of those ones that they put out that's only like 15-20 seconds long.  I saw it labeled like that tons of places - I just clicked on this one to share.  This video was posted tons of places.  I don't see how it isn't a "trailer" though, because it's not like someone else made it up; Marvel/Disney clearly released this small amount of footage.

I was primarily asking if it was labeled by Marvel as the official teaser like the video title implied. Sometimes YouTube channels will string multiple promos and trailers together with misleading titles making it hard to determine what is new and what is clickbait. The teaser is a specific promo and it looks like that hasn’t been released yet for Eternals. This is more of a trailer for phase 4.

I’m super curious to see the Eternals teaser.  Hopefully it will be released soon. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)
6 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

Monica and Kamala, note that both of their emblems are in the title. Looks like they'll all be co-leads. Very exciting.

Oh this is interesting was Monica a Marvel? I knew Kamala is Ms Marvel but, I thought Monica had a different code name.

Fairly certain I'm going to be a mess with BP 2.

Oh MCU stop teasing. The Phase Four Logo is the "4" from Fantastic 4.

Edited by Morrigan2575
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh this is interesting was Monica a Marvel? I knew Kamala is Ms Marvel but, I thought Monica had a different code name.

She was Captain Marvel before Carol. Although they are using Monica’s Spectrum logo here. 

7 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I have mixed feelings. I’m thrilled the three will be together and am disappointed that the CM sequel isn’t going to focus on the time in between CM and Endgame. Plus I’m really not looking forward to over a year of avoiding social media references to the movie and the people who view this as a knock against Brie. 

Edited by Guest
6 minutes ago, Dani said:

She was Captain Marvel before Carol. 

Oh so it went Mar-Vel to Ms Marvel (Carol) to Capt Marvel (Monica) to Captain Marvel (Carol) to Ms Marvel Kamala? Wow that's like a total circle of life situation there 🤣😂

• LOL 5

Maybe they'll throw in the other five Captains Marvel for good measure.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is a great title.

Not going to lie, I totally teared up during the video.

• Love 5
On 4/22/2021 at 8:16 PM, Perfect Xero said:

It's possible but it would be a significant uphill climb for me as this version of Clint is so tied into being an off the grid family man who really loves his family that lives off the grid*.

I'm also not sure that Renner has the charm required to get away with completely reinventing the character in a short time the way Hemsworth did with Thor. The thing is they have to be more careful in how they change Hawkeye because if he looks like he's forgotten about his family he's just going to look like an ass.

*One thing I've long wondered since we met his family and hope they address on the show is whether Clint's kids have actual lives  and friends or have they been living on a farm in the middle of nowhere with no human contact outside of their parents, each other, and the occasional visit from Aunt Nat?

This always confuses me. There is a large contingent of people who had a don't care or don't like attitude about Falcon, Wanda and Vision among others. These are the perfect characters to do a show around. I never had any problem with the characters but they have minimum time to shine next to the big names. Giving them their own long form stories in the best way TO get you to care.

I'm not torn on any character in this universe getting their own show. Just make a good show. 

34 minutes ago, Dani said:

She was Captain Marvel before Carol. Although they are using Monica’s Spectrum logo here. 

I have mixed feelings. I’m thrilled the three will be together and am disappointed that the CM sequel isn’t going to focus on the time in between CM and Endgame. Plus I’m really not looking forward to over a year of avoiding social media references to the movie and the people who view this as a knock against Brie. 

Thank God they are building a better ensemble around Carol. I have no problems with Larson as a person but her Captain Marvel is boring as hell. I was all set to skip part 2 based off of part 1.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Dani said:

I have mixed feelings. I’m thrilled the three will be together and am disappointed that the CM sequel isn’t going to focus on the time in between CM and Endgame. 

Yea I really wish they covered that time too. Like is the Supreme Intelligence still around? And how was Ronan still causing trouble in GOTG? How had she not kicked all of their asses at that point?

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh so it went Mar-Vel to Ms Marvel (Carol) to Capt Marvel (Monica) to Captain Marvel (Carol) to Ms Marvel Kamala? Wow that's like a total circle of life situation there 🤣😂

Don't forget Marvell's clone son. I read that series when I read comics, and remember enjoying it.

• Useful 1
3 hours ago, starri said:

Maybe they'll throw in the other five Captains Marvel for good measure.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever is a great title.

Not going to lie, I totally teared up during the video.

I got my second jab today and knowing I'll be in a theater this summer, sharing the experience, and hearing Stan Lee's voice....there were tears. It's been a year and that vid struck a chord for me.

• Love 7