Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

9 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

It's definitely relabeled to generate views.  The official Marvel channel titles it "Marvel Studios celebrates the movies"

I do wonder how nervous Marvel is about the next phase now that we're diving into some of the niche corners of the comics.  Sooner or later this run of dominance has to end, so how are they going to respond when that happens?

It's definitely a gamble they are taking but they have earned the right to try and experimentwith different things.

All things come to an end.  I don't know when that will be with Marvel but it will happen.

• Love 1

Count me in as having mixed feelings about Captain Marvel 2. For one, I was really looking forward to learning what else Carol did in all those years. Two, I was actually confused by the title "Marvels", I first had no idea what they were actually talking about. Three, I don't look forward to all those triumphant Anti-Brie Larson videos which will be created as a response either. 

On the upside, it will be great to have a female ensemble movie, and every hero profiteers from having a good ensemble. And in a way it is better to move forward in a story than moving back. I just don't get why they couldn't still name it Captain Marvel something something. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, Dani said:

She was Captain Marvel before Carol. Although they are using Monica’s Spectrum logo here. 

I have mixed feelings. I’m thrilled the three will be together and am disappointed that the CM sequel isn’t going to focus on the time in between CM and Endgame. Plus I’m really not looking forward to over a year of avoiding social media references to the movie and the people who view this as a knock against Brie. 

I’m glad they are not focusing on CM’s time between her movie and Endgame, she was helping others out during that time. I want to see more superhero women movies set during the present time. 

Im not too crazy about the name change and still hope that Danvers will be the main focus if they are going to be using her storylines. I’m glad that two WOC will also be in the movies alongside Larson but Carol needs more character development and focus and that shouldn’t be taken away. I wish they would give Monica her own trilogy and Kamala is getting her own series. Hopefully Danvers will still  be getting her trilogy and this is a team up movie. Also I’m excited for what Nia and the new writer are taking Carol. 

Anything Marvel does with Captain Marvel will be a knock against Brie according to some. Brie is going to be attacked, lied on, harassed, belittle, threatened, hated, and many more things for simply breathing , it is what it is. I just hope she doesn’t have to have extra security this time around. Brie will be fine. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, swanpride said:

Count me in as having mixed feelings about Captain Marvel 2. For one, I was really looking forward to learning what else Carol did in all those years. Two, I was actually confused by the title "Marvels", I first had no idea what they were actually talking about. Three, I don't look forward to all those triumphant Anti-Brie Larson videos which will be created as a response either. 

On the upside, it will be great to have a female ensemble movie, and every hero profiteers from having a good ensemble. And in a way it is better to move forward in a story than moving back. I just don't get why they couldn't still name it Captain Marvel something something. 

Yes I have mixed feelings on this too. On one hand- yay! Female team up movie! We need more of these! But on the other hand- is Carol going to be shoved to the side in what should be her own movie? 

I feel like this maybe would have been better for a third movie in a trilogy, when we've had a bit more time with Carol. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

I’m glad they are not focusing on CM’s time between her movie and Endgame, she was helping others out during that time. I want to see more superhero women movies set during the present time. 

I hope there are at least flash backs since at the end of CM she tells Yon Rogg to tell the Kree Supreme Intelligence that she is coming for her. But 20 years later the Kree are still an empire, at war with Xandar and Ronan has become a terrorist. How did that happen if her next stop at the end of the movie was supposed to be the Kree home world?

As for Ms. Marvel I am not sure how interested I am in in her. I will probably watch the show (because my kids want to watch it) but as I mentioned before a teen super hero and teen drama sounds dumb. I am just glad they didn't stick to comics continuity and make Bucky into Cap's teen sidekick in First Avenger, that would have been terrible.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

Anything Marvel does with Captain Marvel will be a knock against Brie according to some. Brie is going to be attacked, lied on, harassed, belittle, threatened, hated, and many more things for simply breathing , it is what it is. I just hope she doesn’t have to have extra security this time around. Brie will be fine. 

Ugh. It would be nice if the MCU actually stuck up for her this time the way they did for Chris Pratt. But they didn’t for Emily VanCamp and pandered to the haters by turning Sharon Carter into a villain in TFATWS. Carol isn’t so expandable but it sucks all the same.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I hope there are at least flash backs since at the end of CM she tells Yon Rogg to tell the Kree Supreme Intelligence that she is coming for her. But 20 years later the Kree are still an empire, at war with Xandar and Ronan has become a terrorist. How did that happen if her next stop at the end of the movie was supposed to be the Kree home world?

As for Ms. Marvel I am not sure how interested I am in in her. I will probably watch the show (because my kids want to watch it) but as I mentioned before a teen super hero and teen drama sounds dumb. I am just glad they didn't stick to comics continuity and make Bucky into Cap's teen sidekick in First Avenger, that would have been terrible.

I want the MCU to keep some mystery around Carol’s time in space. Just allude here and there how she helped this civilization or helped fight in this war against this planet, little side comments. I get wanting to know what she did those past 30 plus years but it’s fun keeping some things a mystery. 

• Love 1
7 hours ago, swanpride said:

Three, I don't look forward to all those triumphant Anti-Brie Larson videos which will be created as a response either.

I don't know how extensive those will be. The MRA types that would be making them don't strike me as likely to be cheering that focus is being shared with a black woman and a Middle-Eastern Muslim girl as the other principal leads. Hopefully they'll be relegated to muttering conspiracy theories about Disney buying 100 million tickets to one of its own movies to disguise it being a box office flop.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh so it went Mar-Vel to Ms Marvel (Carol) to Capt Marvel (Monica) to Captain Marvel (Carol) to Ms Marvel Kamala? Wow that's like a total circle of life situation there 🤣😂

There were also a couple more male Kree characters who took on the name, Captain Marvel. Noh-Varr was one, and Genis-Vell (Mar-Vell's son, who had a sister Phylla-Vell, who also took the name for a while) was another.

It's a title that gets around (probably because Marvel were scared that taking it out of publication for too long would mean DC might get the rights to the name back), but Carol was the fitting inheritor of the name, as she was introduced in the original Captain Marvel book, where she got her powers from Mar-Vell.

I had little interest in Monica Rambeau until I saw Teyonah Parris's portrayal of her in WandaVision. So much presence and personality, and I really want to know why she's so pissed at Carol.

Also, I'm thinking that The Marvels will be a big stepping stone towards a Cosmic-level event movie with Annihilus or some other galactic threat. Also, I'm already predicting a Galactus appearance in the post-credits scene.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Jazzy24 said:

Hopefully Danvers will still  be getting her trilogy and this is a team up movie. Also I’m excited for what Nia and the new writer are taking Carol. 

I have feeling that the are moving away from the solo trilogy. In many ways I understand why. The Iron Man sequels and The Dark World are still solo movies and didn’t work all that well. While paring the main character with another hero worked really well in Winter Soldies and Ragnorak. 

6 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

Yes I have mixed feelings on this too. On one hand- yay! Female team up movie! We need more of these! But on the other hand- is Carol going to be shoved to the side in what should be her own movie? 

That is exactly how I feel. I’m exciting about the movie we’re getting and disappointed about the movie we’re not getting. It does help me a little the Carol was prominently featured in that clip and hopefully will still be a true lead of the movie. 

2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I don't know how extensive those will be. The MRA types that would be making them don't strike me as likely to be cheering that focus is being shared with a black woman and a Middle-Eastern Muslim girl as the other principal leads. Hopefully they'll be relegated to muttering conspiracy theories about Disney buying 100 million tickets to one of its own movies to disguise it being a box office flop.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. This is the same group that heavily pushed Alita as an anti-CM movie which couldn’t be farther from the truth. They’re not cheering that Monica and Ms Marvel are the leads but it as proof the everyone hate Brie and the CM was really a failure who can’t hold her own. These are the same people who hold tight to the belief that CM only made over a billion because it was between Infinity War and Endgame. Logic and reason are not their strong suit. 

At the moment those people seem to be preoccupied with outrage over Feige’s we didn’t want a “white guy” to swoop in at the end of WandaVision interview. 

20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That trailer would have been perfection had they not added the stupid Steve and Peggy Endgame scene. Bleh.

I thought the part about "that man is your brother" would have been better if they didn't show T'challa and Killmonger and maybe showed Steve and Bucky or Steve and Sam or or Tony and Rhody even Peter and Ned.

Also anyone know where that Stan Lee speech came from?

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

4 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I thought the part about "that man is your brother" would have been better if they didn't show T'challa and Killmonger and maybe showed Steve and Bucky or Steve and Sam or or Tony and Rhody even Peter and Ned.

I'm choosing to think of it more as showing Jordan and Boseman rather than the characters, since this was pretty clearly 4th wall breaking and celebrating the films themselves and the shared community of the fans rather than the characters.

• Love 7
(edited)

Is this accurate?

Seems like a few of these (Blade, Moon knight, What If?) Were left off the Phase 4 Trailer.  Oh wait, maybe from Blade on is Phase 5?

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Useful 1
57 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Is this accurate?

Seems like a few of these (Blade, Moon knight, What If?) Were left off the Phase 4 Trailer.  Oh wait, maybe from Blade on is Phase 5?

I think the Phase 4 trailer only included movies, and not the Disney+ tv shows? 

Blade is still TBA everywhere that I've seen it, too, so they couldn't advertise a release date in the trailer.  Maybe it's moving to Phase 5.

• Love 1

The name change from Captain Marvel 2 to The Marvels fascinates me.  It's probably gotta bother Bree Larson on some level, if she's got any normal ego, because I think it's the only Marvel sequel to go the route of ditching the character name as a sign to hang a subtitle on (it could have easily been "Captain Marvel 2: Marvels"). 

From Marvel's perspective I can kind of understand it.  First, just a subtle reminder that The Marvels don't live in DC comics land (even though they don't call them that anymore--they're mysteriously unnamed in the Shazam film, I believe). But also, it's clearly a maneuver to get around the political/cultural football passed to Marvel over Larson becoming a flashpoint early on for certain fan segments. Ironically probably some of the same segments who won't like a Muslim superhero like Ms. Marvel/Kamala Khan either. But I suppose that's yet to be proven. 

And sure, it's a clever way to slip in Monica Rambeau too. 

• Love 2

The Marvels should be an easier movie for them. Most origin stories are simple but Carol's history in the comics was long and complicated and turning all of it into something manageable while not involving Rogue and including Monica took some doing. Now that theyve got it out of the way they can tell a good story. 

I think all this hate from fanboys really comes down to them wanting a tall, busty blonde in a black swimsuit.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Kromm said:

The name change from Captain Marvel 2 to The Marvels fascinates me.  It's probably gotta bother Bree Larson on some level, if she's got any normal ego, because I think it's the only Marvel sequel to go the route of ditching the character name as a sign to hang a subtitle on (it could have easily been "Captain Marvel 2: Marvels"). 

Marvel Studio's Captain Marvel: The Marvels is a little much.

46 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Yeah, I’m pretty sure it was only the movies. 

It's called "Celebrating the Movies" so yes lol.

5 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I think all this hate from fanboys really comes down to them wanting a tall, busty blonde in a black swimsuit.

I think it's about them wanting Brie Larson to "know her place" and shut up. These lunatics built a whole narrative about Don Cheadle hating her based on body language. They hate that she's outspoken about politics and social justice.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

think the Phase 4 trailer only included movies, and not the Disney+ tv shows? 

Yes it did but, Blade, Deadpool 3 are movies.m for sure. I thought Moonknight was a movie too but, maybe that's a D+ series?

In any case. I think the answer is Phase 4 ends with that Fantastic 4 teaser and Phase 5 starts with Blade (as far as that list goes)

13 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Yes it did but, Blade, Deadpool 3 are movies.m for sure. I thought Moonknight was a movie too but, maybe that's a D+ series?

In any case. I think the answer is Phase 4 ends with that Fantastic 4 teaser and Phase 5 starts with Blade (as far as that list goes)

Right, but my response was to the original question which also referred to Moon Knight and What If...? which are Disney+ series.  So those might be in Phase 4, not 5 - I think What If...? is definitely in Phase 4.

I agree that is probably the cut off point for the phases.  I think the graphic includes everything that is definitely confirmed for the near future, not just what is in Phase 4.

3 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Right, but my response was to the original question which also referred to Moon Knight and What If...? which are Disney+ series.  So those might be in Phase 4, not 5 - I think What If...? is definitely in Phase 4.

Yeah, I think I forgot what were movies and what were D+. Or more accurate I keep thinking of MCU in terms of Movies with a few D+ series scattered. I have to start thinking of MCU as both movies and D+ equally. 

I have a feeling that's going to take me awhile to get in that mindset.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Speaking of Disney+ series, the Loki premiere has been moved up to June 9, and will now air on Wednesdays instead of Fridays.

Interesting. I was hoping they would add mid-week premieres now that they are going to have Star Wars and Marvel series releasing at the same time. 

I was hoping Loki would be another Friday show, I miss waking up to a new MCU show. But still, I am just really interested in seeing what the show is like and how it connects to the rest of the MCU. A lot of Loki's character growth happened post Avengers, this is the version of him still working for Thanos, its basically a different character than the one who died in Infinity War. Or an earlier one I guess. 

Carol's comics history is so complicated and has been changed so much in adaptation, they can almost do anything they want with her now. I have wondered if they would have her end up mentoring a young Kamala who becomes Miss Marvel, especially after they had a lot of success having Tony serve as a mentor for Peter, but even then they would presumably change some of Kamala's origin story, as its so connected to the Inhumans and that whole thing where the comics were really pushing the Inhumans as the new X-Men. Maybe they will make her powers connected to Carols somehow? 

5 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

I think it's about them wanting Brie Larson to "know her place" and shut up. These lunatics built a whole narrative about Don Cheadle hating her based on body language. They hate that she's outspoken about politics and social justice.

Bing.  And O. 

• Love 5

Until coming here I didn't know The Marvels was  Capt Marvel 2.  That said, I like having Monica, Carol and Kamala all in one movie.  Carol can be kind of boring on her own but I feel works better with other characters to bounce off of (and Carol may still be the main character). 

It's actually been a trend with Marvel sequels to feature more superheroes than the main character since Cap 2 (the only exception is GotG 2 but that a team movie so I don't count it).  See Black Widow in Cap 2, Hulk in Thor 3, Wasp in Ant-man 2, Scarlet Witch in Dr Strange 2, etc.  I actually like this trend since it embraces the shared universe a little more and it's fun seeing these character bounce off each other.  

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, Matt K said:

It's actually been a trend with Marvel sequels to feature more superheroes than the main character since Cap 2 (the only exception is GotG 2 but that a team movie so I don't count it).

Mantis was introduced in GOTG 2, and Nebula did a face turn.

56 minutes ago, Matt K said:

It's actually been a trend with Marvel sequels to feature more superheroes than the main character since Cap 2. . .

When I was watching CA:CW, I kept forgetting that I wasn't watching an Avengers movie.  That one was mis-named, in my opinion; it was clearly a group movie.

• Love 4
(edited)
37 minutes ago, Anduin said:

Mantis was introduced in GOTG 2, and Nebula did a face turn.

Also in GOTG2 Yondu joined the frickin Guardians of the Galaxy (only they didn't use frickin).

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, JessePinkman said:

And she got a haircut. 

Big mad.

1 hour ago, xaxat said:

And she got a haircut. 

Big mad.

The haircut just made some of those who still found her attractive (despite believing her to be an evil manhater) uncomfortable. Because to their shallow, tiny brains a woman with short hair looks too much like a man.

I don't know what to make of The Marvels as a title. I don't think it's a diss against Brie, or the character of Carol, but I do see it as a possible mitigation of the fact that a section of the intended audience for the MCU sees her as toxic. Thing is, Marvel have made it very clear that they do not want people like that as fans - Black Panther, Captain Marvel, "she's got help" the diversity of the newly cast Young Avengers, the introduction of gay characters.

Anyway, it's more accurate because the movie is going to be about more than just Carol. I'm all for Monica having a significant role, and a Carol/Monica buddy cop movie is something I'd love to see.

• Love 3
(edited)

I don't think I understand why Brie Larson is so problematic?  I rarely ever hear of her in the news, and to be honest, Room is the only other movie that I can think of that I've seen her in.  I loved that book, and she was good in the movie.  I guess on this subject, I'll be happy being blissfully ignorant...

ETA:  I didn't care for Captain Marvel because I thought it was boring compared to most of the other movies, but I don't blame her for it.

Edited by FnkyChkn34
  • Love 3
28 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

The haircut just made some of those who still found her attractive (despite believing her to be an evil manhater) uncomfortable. Because to their shallow, tiny brains a woman with short hair looks too much like a man.

I don't know it was so much that they found her attractive, as it was an indication she (and the Wardrobe dept.) didn't give a rat's ass about presenting herself in a way their knuckle-dragging brigade would consider feminine. Same with the offense of—GASP!—wearing a pants suit to Iron Man's funeral. Where were all those amateur Mr. Blackwells to critique any of the other fashion crimes in the MCU, like Darcy Lewis' beanies and that gold lamé caftan the Grandmaster wore?

• Love 6

1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

ETA:  I didn't care for Captain Marvel because I thought it was boring compared to most of the other movies, but I don't blame her for it.

I didn't like Brie Larson as Carol, i thought she was dull and lacked charisma.  The best parts of the movie IMO were Fury and Goose, with Maria taking the 3rd spot.  Jude Law was a crap villain (I thought Marvel fixed that problem but, he was just a cliche).  

It was fine but, not something i'd give a second viewing too.  I would put this in the bottom of the pack, along with Dr Strange, Thor, Thor2, Ant-Man and Wasp 2 and 3. 

I actually had no plans to watch CM2 but, now that it's including Monica (who i really liked from WandaVision) and Kamala who i've been curious about since the comics came out, i'll give it a shot.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

It was fine but, not something i'd give a second viewing too.  I would put this in the bottom of the pack, along with Dr Strange, Thor, Thor2, Ant-Man and Wasp 2 and 3. 

CM is definitely in my bottom group too, but I have to disagree about Dr. Strange.  That is in my top group; I just love Benedict Cumberbatch, and the visual effects in that movie were awesome.

(edited)
8 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't think I understand why Brie Larson is so problematic?

That’s because she’s not in the slightest. She’s made a few statements in support of inclusion that have been twisted to be interpreted as her hating white men and wanting to take things away from them. 

8 hours ago, Danny Franks said:

I don't know what to make of The Marvels as a title. I don't think it's a diss against Brie, or the character of Carol, but I do see it as a possible mitigation of the fact that a section of the intended audience for the MCU sees her as toxic. Thing is, Marvel have made it very clear that they do not want people like that as fans - Black Panther, Captain Marvel, "she's got help" the diversity of the newly cast Young Avengers, the introduction of gay characters.

I’ve wondered the same thing. I wouldn’t be surprised if Brie was one of the ones pushing for the change. She has been very vocal about wanting a female team up movie. She has also said that she turned down CM multiple times because she didn’t think she would be comfortable with that much attention. 

Edited by Guest

I just hope they can give Carol the attention and more character that she deserves. I am definitely looking forward to The Marvels and want to see more of Carol Danvers. Monica and Kamala are a definite plus. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

CM is definitely in my bottom group too, but I have to disagree about Dr. Strange.  That is in my top group; I just love Benedict Cumberbatch, and the visual effects in that movie were awesome.

I wanted to love it, with that cast I thought I would but, I just didn't feel it.

• Love 1

I do love Captain Marvel, but I'll be honest that my euphoric joy at having a female superhero who didn't have a love interest, had strong and loyal female friendships, and dressed in a rational costume for battle may color my opinion of it. I'm also a 90s kid so the soundtrack and setting was pure nostalgia. It was the superhero movie I wanted when I was a kid, playing Ninja Turtles on the playground and being told I should be damsel in distress April because I'm a girl.

So I'll honestly say I can't be truly objective about the movie because for the me back in the 90s as a nerdy superhero loving little girl and for the me now who is the mother to 2 little girls I am doing my best to raise to be confident, it is pretty damn near perfect. 

• Love 11

Captain Marvel was a perfectly cromulent Marvel movie. I had no attachment to the character at all since she wasn't an important character when I was most invested in the comics. I liked it just fine. Top third MCU for me.

The people who don't like it seem very motivated in saying they don't like it as loudly and often as possible, for reasons.

• Love 3

Yeah, I enjoyed Captain Marvel and felt that Brie's performance was fine. Not earth-shatteringly incredible, but perfectly fine. She's dry, but I like the flashes of wit that we see, beneath the Vers exterior and I genuinely do not mind a major MCU character who isn't overly expressive and delivering articulate speeches at the drop of a cape.

I also thoroughly enjoyed the supposed "anti-male" stance that those online creeps whined about so much. She's all their worst fears and persecution complexes come true, and it broke their tiny brains.

But I do think the movies suffers from some uninspired direction and from being released between Infinity War and Endgame. That's a tough place to sit, as people are getting over this massive event in one movie and eagerly awaiting for the denouement.

But this is the thing about the MCU - there are so many movies that people can have completely different rankings, depending on personal tastes. For instance, I think Iron Man 3 is dull as dishwater, and I've never even seen Doctor Strange because the character just does not interest me. I'll watch the sequel if Wanda has a major role.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, Jenniferbug said:

I do love Captain Marvel, but I'll be honest that my euphoric joy at having a female superhero who didn't have a love interest, had strong and loyal female friendships, and dressed in a rational costume for battle may color my opinion of it. I'm also a 90s kid so the soundtrack and setting was pure nostalgia. It was the superhero movie I wanted when I was a kid, playing Ninja Turtles on the playground and being told I should be damsel in distress April because I'm a girl.

So I'll honestly say I can't be truly objective about the movie because for the me back in the 90s as a nerdy superhero loving little girl and for the me now who is the mother to 2 little girls I am doing my best to raise to be confident, it is pretty damn near perfect. 

I feel exactly the same way. Perfectly said. There are those movies that hit so perfectly on an emotional level that it feels flawless and Captain Marvel was that for me. It’s more meaningful because we had to wait for it and I love knowing that little girls now get to grow up with what I never had. 

41 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

But this is the thing about the MCU - there are so many movies that people can have completely different rankings, depending on personal tastes. For instance, I think Iron Man 3 is dull as dishwater, and I've never even seen Doctor Strange because the character just does not interest me. I'll watch the sequel if Wanda has a major role.

I really love that Marvel is willing to let each movie be it’s own thing even if it narrows the market a little bit.