Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Dandesun said:

Also, I'm into these one shot specials. They take me back, man. They take me back.

I like them too. I was disappointed when Marvel stopped doing the one-shots ok the blu-rays so this is a nice to fill in some of the extra story blanks when you have so many characters and a limited number of movie releases a year.

• Love 1

Alright, that special looks so dumb that I know I'm going to love it. It's like a bad fanfiction brought to life. 

One - I can't wait to see Nebula as the Grinch before her heart finally thaws to the magic of Christmas (or not).

Two - Mantis and Drax on a comedic caper will be great.

Three - Kevin Bacon hopefully gets a nice payday and stops doing the awful EE adverts in the UK.

Also, Cosmo the Spacedog is back.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Maybe Peter winds up reuniting with his grandparents?!?

I would love that! A Christmas miracle! 

This looks so adorable, I am really loving this one off specials. Werewolf by Night was a great Halloween special, and I think this looks like an adorable blast. 

Cosmo! 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I was expecting something purposely awkward in the vein of the Star Wars Holiday Special. This is more like a Hallmark movie.

Yeah, me too. But sometimes the thing I expect is not what I need. This might be even better than a parody of the Star Wars Holiday Special. 

• Love 2

No comment...

James Cameron Criticizes Marvel and DC Characters: ‘They All Act Like They’re in College‘ and ’Really Don‘t’ Have Relationships
By Zack Sharf     Oct. 25, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/james-cameron-criticizes-marvel-dc-movie-characters-1235413857/ 

Cameron continued, “When I look at these big, spectacular films — I’m looking at you, Marvel and DC — it doesn’t matter how old the characters are, they all act like they’re in college. They have relationships, but they really don’t. They never hang up their spurs because of their kids. The things that really ground us and give us power, love, and a purpose? Those characters don’t experience it, and I think that’s not the way to make movies.”

Edited by tv echo

Has he actually watched the movies? I distinctively remember multiple Superheroes "hanging up their spurs" in order to be with their family. Granted, a lot of them were also forced to pick them up again by circumstances, but only to put them down again as soon as possible. In fact, the main motivation in a lot of those movies is family. 

• Love 5

Cameron would probably be happy if the Marvel characters all had five divorces like he has.

The Guardians Holiday special looks like great fun. I enjoy when shows or in this case movies do them and I wish more.

You know who deserves a better Christmas than Quill? QUILL'S GRANDFATHER! 

Anyway, definitely looking forward to this one.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

No comment...

James Cameron Criticizes Marvel and DC Characters: ‘They All Act Like They’re in College‘ and ’Really Don‘t’ Have Relationships
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/james-cameron-criticizes-marvel-dc-movie-characters-1235413857/ 

I like most of Cameron's movies. He's made some great ones. But he's currently making several movies about giant, flurry blue cat people. He should probably just keep quiet.

Edited by WritinMan
  • Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, tv echo said:

No comment...

I'm pretty sure at this point that all the different promotion/PR firms in Hollywood just instruct directors to take shots at superhero movies because it's the easiest way to get attention.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I'm pretty sure we just had a story like this not so long ago.

image.png.373679beeb7a3a160357ff535954dee8.png

I would be willing to bet that James Cameron hasn't seen an of the marvel tv shows. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he has only seen the 4 Avengers movies and is basing his comments on those. And in that case he is maybe not wrong. Then again I could be giving him the benefit of the doubt because T2 is possibly the best action movie ever made.

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I would be willing to bet that James Cameron hasn't seen an of the marvel tv shows. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he has only seen the 4 Avengers movies and is basing his comments on those. And in that case he is maybe not wrong. Then again I could be giving him the benefit of the doubt because T2 is possibly the best action movie ever made.

The best is Fury Road. Besides, Terminator 2 was 1991. Besides, nothing he's done since is half as good. Could be he's lot it, and doesn't realise you can't build by tearing down.

It's all right to say that something isn't for you, or that you offer something different. But when you insult something that a lot of people love, it makes you look like an asshole.

• Love 2

Frankly, every director worth his salt should watch Infinity War and Endgame. Not to like it, but for research purposes. And if one bothers to watch those movies, one can see Tony giving up being a hero for years in order to be with his family. 

Oh, and the best James Cameron movies is naturally Titanic. Sadly he never did anything even close to that particular brilliance. 

Edited by swanpride
  • Love 1
On 10/25/2022 at 12:56 PM, Hiyo said:

I really liked The Nightmare Before Christmas.

Oh I really liked it too. But it had characters crossing from one world to others, e.g. a world where it's always Halloween, a world where it's always Christmas, etc. He's actually featured a multiverse in all but name in his best movie!

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 2

Cameron is right with his comments.  However, he shouldn't expect anything different from these types of movies.  It's just the genre.  I get that he doesn't like that kind of storytelling, but there are many different ways to make movies.

7 hours ago, Anduin said:

But when you insult something that a lot of people love, it makes you look like an asshole.

It's ok to be critical of something that a lot of people love.

13 minutes ago, Tenshinhan said:

It's ok to be critical of something that a lot of people love.

If he's trying to drum up support for his movie, he's going about it the wrong way. The MCU has been going strong for some years now. His last movie was 2009. A lot of people don't like other people insulting 'their thing', and won't bother going to see Avatar 2 in return. I'm leaning towards no myself. Why reward the actions of a dickhead?

• Love 1

I've not really minded too much when the likes of Scorsese and Cronenberg criticise the MCU, because I know what their own movies are like, what sensibilities they have, and can see how starkly different their ideas of moviemaking are to the MCU.

People don't have to agree on what makes a good movie, and people don't have to enjoy the same things. 

But James Cameron? The man who is only famous for summer blockbusters and CGI-laden, formulaic storytelling? The man who has nothing but franchise sequels on his slate, and is still bragging about the 100% CGI, action nonsense movie that broke records? Get the fuck out of here. It smacks of nothing but envy.

• Like 2
  • Applause 11
  • Love 2
24 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

But James Cameron? The man who is only famous for summer blockbusters and CGI-laden, formulaic storytelling? The man who has nothing but franchise sequels on his slate, and is still bragging about the 100% CGI, action nonsense movie that broke records? Get the fuck out of here. It smacks of nothing but envy.

To me it seems more like arrogance than envy. Him genuinely thinking his way is the only good way. Like when he decided to say Wonder Woman wasn’t empowering to women and praised Ripley and Sarah Connor. It takes a lot of arrogance to tell women who they should find empowering. He reminds me a lot of Whedon. 

1 hour ago, Tenshinhan said:

Cameron is right with his comments.

He’s right from his and your perspective. He’s not right from mine. I could give multiple examples that I feel prove him wrong. A few have already been mentioned. 

Yeah, Ellen Ripley is my favorite action hero bar none, and Cameron should get his proper respect for delivering her to us in that form. But he doesn't have a trademark on the idea of strong, smart female characters. And I don't recall him creating any good examples in the current century.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Dani said:

He’s right from his and your perspective. He’s not right from mine. I could give multiple examples that I feel prove him wrong. A few have already been mentioned. 

It's not a matter of perspective, really.  Just look at the differences between Cameron's films and a Marvel or DC film.  One is rooted in comic books, where things have to continue on endlessly and can only grow and change to a limited extent.  Cameron doesn't make movies like that.

3 hours ago, Dani said:

Like when he decided to say Wonder Woman wasn’t empowering to women and praised Ripley and Sarah Connor. It takes a lot of arrogance to tell women who they should find empowering.

It's ok to prefer one kind of empowerment to another.  I don't think that is necessarily the same thing as telling women what is empowering and what's not, or that it's necessarily arrogant.  Especially if it comes from a place of knowledge and understanding.  Much of it depends upon what his comments actually were and how he went about expressing his views.

James Cameron has obviously never seen a Marvel movie in his entire life, especially if he thinks that no MCU movie has ever had its characters have kids, that or we all hallucinated the Ant Man movies, Endgame, Age of Ultron, the most recent Thor, and the many other marvel movies involving families. James Cameron really has no room to talk when it comes to making big flashy blockbusters. I like a lot of his movies, but spectacle is his bread and butter. 

I don't think that a lot of these directors who complain about superhero movies have ever seen any of them, they see the trailers and take some easy shots about boring CGI and immaturity to try and look smarter and drum up some easy PR. Some of it is a matter of taste, and that's fine, but you really feel like these guys are just bashing the popular thing without even knowing what they're talking about.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Like 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Tenshinhan said:

It's not a matter of perspective, really.  Just look at the differences between Cameron's films and a Marvel or DC film.  One is rooted in comic books, where things have to continue on endlessly and can only grow and change to a limited extent.  Cameron doesn't make movies like that.

The MCU may be rooted in comic books but the characters have not continued on endlessly and have grown and evolved often in very big ways. Many critics of the MCU look at one or two movies and think they can paint 20+ projects with the same brush. Every time that is what bothers about this type of criticism. 

It's ok to prefer one kind of empowerment to another.

Absolutely but it’s not okay to tell someone else what they should find empowering. He said the WW wasn’t empowering. He said it was a step backward. When Patty Jenkins responded that there are lot of ways to be empowering to woman and that WW was clearly empowering to many real woman he doubled down. He said Gal Gadot was too beautiful to be ground breaking. He has made some really good and empowering characters but he also has some really messed up opinions about women. 

I don't think that is necessarily the same thing as telling women what is empowering and what's not, or that it's necessarily arrogant.  Especially if it comes from a place of knowledge and understanding.

Sorry, a man who thinks he knows better than women about what is empowering to women is extremely arrogant. That‘s not coming from a place of knowledge and understanding. Particularly when it comes from a man with a horrible track record of behavior towards woman and a history of being abusive on set. 

It's not that Cameron insults the stuff people love (though that is currently relative since apparently Phase 4 wasn't really that beloved overall), or even if he has a standing in this considering the kind of movie he makes. Michael Bay could come out with criticism and I wouldn't really mind as long as it is WELL FOUNDED criticism. What angers me is if those directors make a judgement regarding movies they obviously didn't even watch, and in this case it is particularly glaring because he claims that something doesn't happen in the movies even though it happened multiple times. Superheroes with Family/children? Oh, there is only Tony, Clint, Hank, Scott and Phastos (Let's not forget Phastos here!!!!). Superheroes who gave up on being Superheroes because of their family? Oh, there is only Tony, Clint, Hank and Phastos (Scott is there big exception here, because he is basically Superheroing because he wants to be close to his child). And granted, two of those picked up the spurs again, but again, mostly in order to protect said family (or in Tony's case, because of a certain Teenager he lost tragically). 

So no, I don't care for that attitude. I get someone not liking the stuff I like, or not watching the stuff I like. I mean, I will openly admit that I am not particularly into Star Wars (though I have seen enough of it to make a sound judgement about most of what was put out), or horror movies, especially splatter horror (really, what is the point to resurrect the same serial killer again and again and again, I just don't see the appeal), so if they say "I don't care for this stuff", fine with me. But if they start to make claim about the content of those movies, they better know what they are talking about. Criticism might be largely subjective, but the one objective aspect in it is what is actually part of a movie and what not. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 10

The approach I would take is, "Sure, the MCU is good fun, but you can't dine on one meal forever. Once you've enjoyed [the latest one], try a different kind of fun, [my thing]!" There's no need to be mean about something a lot of people love, that way will build hard feelings and get people's defences up. Be inclusive.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Regarding Wonder Woman: I actually agree that the movie was a step back compared to the WW TV-Series, but that has no relation at all to the question of Gal Gadot is beautiful or not. What annoys me about Wonder Women is more that they managed to tone down the feminism in it (I mean, what is the more awesome power fantasy, an island of women who managed to become super strong because they were able to grow their abilities unhindered by men, or an Island of women who were made to be warriors by some (male) god, what is more impressive, a character managing to fight her right to become a heroine by defeating all the other powerful women on the island or a character simply being the chosen one and don't get me started on the various spoonful of sugar they put in the movie for the male ego to allow the feminism to go down more smoothly). 

And that was btw a critique based on things which are actually happening in the movie (and the TV show). Notice the difference between the more general complains those directors tend to make about movies which happen to be more successful than what they put out. 

(Nevertheless I don't appreciate it if a man tries to tell me when I should feel empowered and when not. Though I experience usually more the opposite, when Wonder Women is presented as the movie which (suddenly, this sounded very differently when the movie was released) did "feminism right" compared to the supposedly toxic Captain Marvel, when I personally feel more empowered by the "I have nothing to proof to you" than by any other moment in any superhero movie (There are some great ones in the TV shows, though). 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Anduin said:

The approach I would take is, "Sure, the MCU is good fun, but you can't dine on one meal forever. Once you've enjoyed [the latest one], try a different kind of fun, [my thing]!" There's no need to be mean about something a lot of people love, that way will build hard feelings and get people's defences up. Be inclusive.

That's almost exactly the analogy I use myself.  "The film/television medium is a buffet and I have room on my plate for a lot of different things."  I really don't care what guys like Scorsese, Coppola, Cameron, etc. think about comic book movies (but do you really want to pull on that thread, fellas?  All y'all are responsible for some dreck of your own.) it's more the insinuation that liking one thing means one can't appreciate a different thing.  I know the only types of movies that are profitable these days are the comic book ones (and Star Wars) but I literally don't personally know another person who invests their entertainment energies in only them.  As others have said, it's the broad brush that I side eye.  Not the opinion in and of itself.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

That too...there is always this "the audience has no idea what is actually good" suggestion, but for one, who makes them the judges of what is universally good and what isn't and two, the audience might watch different things based on the mood. I admit, I am currently mostly in the mood for escapism, but if you don't want to provide that, what the hell are you doing working in the entertainment industry. 

• Love 2

Marvel TV Shows, Ranked: WandaVision, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Loki and Other MCU Fare
By Team TVLine / October 25 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-marvel-tv-shows-ranked-worst/ 

TVLine Rankings:
7  THE FALCON AND THE WINTER SOLDIER
6  MOON KNIGHT
5  SHE-HULK: ATTORNEY AT LAW
4  HAWKEYE
3  MS MARVEL
2  WANDAVISION
1  LOKI

REPORT: Paul Bettany's Vision to Star in His Own Disney+ MCU Series
BY NOAH DOMINGUEZ  OCTOBER 27, 2022
https://www.cbr.com/report-marvel-studios-vision-quest-series-disney-plus/ 

According to insider Jeff Sneider of The Hot Mic podcast, Marvel Studios is developing a Vision solo series titled Vision Quest (not to be confused with the 1985 Matthew Modine wrestling movie of the same name). "I'm told that next week, Marvel will be opening a writers' room for a Vision show titled Vision Quest," Sneider said. He went on to state that this information is "coming from a good source who has been accurate in the past." Interestingly, Sneider recently correctly reported that Harrison Ford would be joining the MCU as its new Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross, lending credence to his newest scoop.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1

In this interview, Nate Moore: (1) talked about Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Chadwick Boseman and the new Namor character (Doctor Doom was never a consideration); (2) said that Ironheart is "both a nod to Tony Stark, but it's own thing," that Riri "probably steps less directly in Tony's footsteps than she does [in the comics]," and that her suit is "not as sleek and clean as Tony's suit" because she does not have Tony's resources; (3) when asked about Harrison Ford appearing in Captain America: New World Order, said that "[o]bviously, when you have Han Solo or Indiana Jones involved in your movie, it just raises the game" and that "we're excited to see [Anthony] Mackie and Harrison Ford in scenes together... I think it's going to be fantastic"; and (4) when asked about Eternals, said that "we have not seen the last of those characters."

WHERE Is DOCTOR DOOM?! Marvel VP Nate Moore Wakanda Forever Exclusive!
Phase Zero   Oct 29, 2022

Edited by tv echo

Y'know, I get that lots of people are excited about Wolverine coming back, and I don't want to detract from their enjoyment, but I had really hoped they'd go forward with Laura if not the other young mutants. His Dark Materials will be running at least through next year, so is it just a matter of Dafne Keen being too busy to do both? I'm kind of worried they'll mess up the beautiful, if tragic, ending of Logan regardless, but I really did want to see What Happens Next, not rewind to something that might be lesser.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Y'know, I get that lots of people are excited about Wolverine coming back, and I don't want to detract from their enjoyment, but I had really hoped they'd go forward with Laura if not the other young mutants. His Dark Materials will be running at least through next year, so is it just a matter of Dafne Keen being too busy to do both? I'm kind of worried they'll mess up the beautiful, if tragic, ending of Logan regardless, but I really did want to see What Happens Next, not rewind to something that might be lesser.

I think Logan is back to being Wolverine in the comics. Not sure what happened to X-23/Laura. It's possible they're trying to tie MCU to comics. It's also possible that All New Wolverine failed hard and they don't want to risk it. 

I think Logan is back to being Wolverine in the comics. Not sure what happened to X-23/Laura.

Logan has been Wolverine again for a while now. Laura is also still Wolverine.

• Like 1

There's two Hawkeyes running around, there's two Wolverines. It's fine. It's not like you can't tell them apart. She more than earned the name and mutants don't die anymore (like officially, not as part of comic book tropes) so, you know, whatever.

Meanwhile, in comics Avengers, Eternals and Krakoans teamed up to create a Celestial God to counter act the war the Prime Eternal declared on the mutants and based a lot of it off of Tony (he was part of the team that created this 'god') which resulted in Steve failing its judgement (and getting incinerated -- it's okay, Nightcrawler eschewed Krakoan policy and resurrected him) while Tony passed judgement while I sat there going 'am I supposed be surprised that a god based on Tony failed Steve?' And then afterwards Tony had to go 'sooo... Steve tell me how you feel about failing that judgement, huh?'

And Steve was having none of it.

Never change, boys. Never change.

(I really liked the AXE crossover. Even with the judgements and all Tony was still going 'Steve's out there buying us what time he can' but of course he had to rub it in afterwards.)

Edited by Dandesun
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Logan has been Wolverine again for a while now. Laura is also still Wolverine.

Oh, like The Hawkeyes, seems oddly confusing.  Does she have a solo "Wolverine" book too? 

Edited by Morrigan2575
8 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

That was my first thought too actually. Even if we never see Laura again Logan was such a great send off for Hugh Jackman that I really hope bring him back doesn't ignore that or mess it up.

12 minutes ago, BetterButter said:

This could be cool. I really hope that Wonderman is just about his life in Hollywood that makes fun of everything and has no real bad guy. Because I am still not sure if I liked the ending of She Hulk, because if you didn't want to have a big bad guy fight at the end, just don't have one, rather than setting one up then calling out how stupid they are. 

On 10/28/2022 at 10:46 AM, tv echo said:

REPORT: Paul Bettany's Vision to Star in His Own Disney+ MCU Series
BY NOAH DOMINGUEZ  OCTOBER 27, 2022
https://www.cbr.com/report-marvel-studios-vision-quest-series-disney-plus/ 

Okay, that pisses me off. “No, we don’t need to do a second season of WandaVision, let’s just have Wanda go full-villain and kill her off while White Vision gets his own show and the kids!”

• Fire 5
51 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Okay, that pisses me off. “No, we don’t need to do a second season of WandaVision, let’s just have Wanda go full-villain and kill her off while White Vision gets his own show and the kids!”

I am pretty sure that Wanda wasn't actually killed off. I mean it is super heroes, no one actually stays dead, especially if you don't see the body.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 10/28/2022 at 8:01 AM, swanpride said:

What annoys me about Wonder Women is more that they managed to tone down the feminism in it 

I liked both WW movies, but I felt like they tried waaay too hard not to offend any male viewers, especialy in the first one. I don't remember any female love interest having as much of a storyline as Steve got in it.

That's why I liked Captain Marvel more (even though I don't think we need to compare them on which is better). They weren't afraid of being feministic in it, despite the massive, ugly campaign against it.

• Love 2
57 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Even if she’s not really dead, I stand by what I said.

I agree with your sentiment but it is still a rumor at this point. The source is reliable enough that Marvel is probably considering it but that doesn’t mean it will actually happen or that they don’t have something else planned for Wanda. 

Unless Elizabeth Olsen doesn’t want to come back, I would be shocked if we don’t see Wanda again. 

31 minutes ago, JustHereForFood said:

I liked both WW movies, but I felt like they tried waaay too hard not to offend any male viewers, especialy in the first one. I don't remember any female love interest having as much of a storyline as Steve got in it.

That's why I liked Captain Marvel more (even though I don't think we need to compare them on which is better). They weren't afraid of being feministic in it, despite the massive, ugly campaign against it.

The question is was  Steve Trevor being more important than Peggy Carter  for the male fans or like the obligatory family life scenes for just one character that 50s war movies tended to have.  Was it for others who the suits thought would ignore the superheroes without the romantic relationship drama?

18 hours ago, JustHereForFood said:

Yeah, I agree. Both movies do what they do in their own way and I am happy that both exist, plus, it doesn't really make much sense to compare those movies overall, since Wonder Woman has more in common with The First Avenger than with Captain Marvel which in turn is pretty different from any other comic book movie out there. But if we discuss how feminism in movies should look like, my answer is that I personally prefer the likes of Carol Denvers or Furiosa, women which are just allowed to be what they want or need to be, and if they manage to break through structures which aims to subdue them along the way, all power for them. Wonder Woman currently doesn't provide that, because she is a chosen one character, she doesn't challenge anything because she is special by birth, hence she doesn't fall under the rules for "normal" women. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Dani said:

I agree with your sentiment but it is still a rumor at this point. The source is reliable enough that Marvel is probably considering it but that doesn’t mean it will actually happen or that they don’t have something else planned for Wanda. 

Unless Elizabeth Olsen doesn’t want to come back, I would be shocked if we don’t see Wanda again. 

Which would be fine, except we've already had a year and a half of complaining from people who pretend to want consequences. That a mountain may have dropped on top of Wanda and it's still not enough to get the focus off of her and on what someone else did is a preview of what would happen if she was brought back. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but what @Spartan Girl says is right too; Sam Raimi fucked up Wanda's character arc because he was lazy and couldn't be arsed to familiarize himself with the story as it was so far, and the fandom has chosen to remember her acts and forget those of other characters.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2