Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

The Doctor Strange sequel hit theaters on May the second. That's a little over a year in real time, and I see no reason not to apply the same time frame in the fictional universe the characters live in. We've been through this before. You're going to tell me that Stephen Strange knew what happened in Westview and sat on his hands in the aftermath, 

Not sure it's reasonable to apply the same time frame, considering the time frame between Marvel movies has been all over the place. GOTG2 happens a few months after the first movie. Plus if Strange is the one who bailed on Wanda that should have ruined his character not hers (although he always seemed like a self-centered asshole to me so that kind of makes sense).

46 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Oh believe me, I blame Feige since he’s the one in charge. But Waldron’s writing for MoM was…not very good for the most part. It was pretty clear that he and Raimi didn’t bother with consistency from WandaVision; Raimi admitted he didn’t even watch it.

How would it not be consistent? At the end of Wandavision she was in pretty extreme emotional distress, had crazy amped up power levels and then was all alone in a cabin with a book of evil. In the comic book world that absolutely seems like a reason for someone to become a villain. Especially when you add to the fact that she had been kind of villian-ish before.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Like 2
49 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

How would it not be consistent? At the end of Wandavision she was in pretty extreme emotional distress, had crazy amped up power levels and then was all alone in a cabin with a book of evil. In the comic book world that absolutely seems like a reason for someone to become a villain. Especially when you add to the fact that she had been kind of villian-ish before.

I'm in the camp, that series was a Villain Origin Story. While I felt for Wanda's trauma, she enslaved a town, put kids in Coma's, mind raped people.  The ending annoyed the hell out of me.

I give props to Marvel for having Wanda go full Villain in MoM and, not wimping out.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I give props to Marvel for having Wanda go full Villain in MoM and, not wimping out.

I kind of do too. I really hope that when Wanda comes back they don't just say it wasn't her fault that she murdered a bunch of people, it was all because of the book.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

At some point, there has to be some kind of logical explanation as to why everyone would just shrug and be like, Oh, well, yeah that happened, but it's nothing to worry about. I'm sure she'll be completely fine on her own and nothing else will happen.

The logical explanation is that Covid completely screwed up the MCU production and release schedule for the better part of two years.  WandaVision ran from January-March, 2021.  If Dr Strange 2 had been on schedule, then it would have come out that May- basically a direct follow up.  Unfortunately, that’s not how it worked out. The movie ended up having to come out in May 2022 instead - and decisions had to be made about how to accommodate that change.  Delaying the film a year meant that it would come out after No Way Home instead of before.  That meant that parts of DS2 needed to be reshot to reference Spider-Man, and that film got reworked so that Ned wound up with all the magic stuff America was supposed to do.  And I suppose that for some viewers, the delay from two months after WV to fourteen was a major consequence as well.

59 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

That’s even worse.

It’s the reality of production on the scale that the MCU operates on.  If you want a movie to premiere immediately after a season of TV - as was the intention here, and what people seem to think would’ve been best narratively  - then they have to be produced almost simultaneously.  That’s also why you have a Kevin Feige - to coordinate between them, and make sure character progression makes sense. Overall I think Wanda’s arc works- even with the year delay- but as always, ymmv.

• Like 2

My problem with MoM was Raimi. I did not hate it, but I felt it was more to showcase Raimi's brand of horror than anything else. My problem with most of the newer Marvel movies is that the directors do not care about continuity but about showcasing their brand (also looking at Waititi and Gunn when I write this). I liked all the recent movies but felt they could have been better.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Enigma X said:

My problem with MoM was Raimi. I did not hate it, but I felt it was more to showcase Raimi's brand of horror than anything else. My problem with most of the newer Marvel movies is that the directors do not care about continuity but about showcasing their brand (also looking at Waititi and Gunn when I write this). I liked all the recent movies but felt they could have been better.

That seems like a damned if you do damned if you don't issue though. Since in the past marvel has been criticized for basically being a factory with all their movies looking the same, and not allowing directors to have any creative freedom. Now they let directors have some control and people take issue with that.

As for Raimi it was more like it just had a lot of his signature elements, not necessarily horror stuff (other than the whole evil book thing). I watched Darkman this past summer and when watching Doctor Strange it definitely reminded me of that movie.

• Love 1

Continuity can fit into a director's style, in my opinion. I freely admit specifically for Raimi that I do not like his style (but I like other horror directors' styles). Lastly, I am not saying my opinion is right or the only valid opinion (other than all directors can fit continuity into their style if they try).

• Love 1

I haven't seen either of the Doctor Strange movies, because I don't care about the character and I don't really have any interest in Cumberbatch as an actor. I was going to watch the second one because I like Wanda, but it's clearly not worth the time.

Something I appreciate about this current phase of the MCU (which was surely not intentional) is that it seems to have far more self-contained shows and movies. Like the comic books, it's fine to just ignore some stuff that you're not interested in and you don't really miss much that you really need to know.

I've probably watched about half of Phase 4, but don't feel like there's anything I need to get around to catch up on.

I just am not that bothered about Wanda being a villain and this is from someone who wept copious tears in the last several episodes of WandaVision. In fact, I felt that Wanda's further descent into darkness was effective because we got to spend all of that time with her... to understand her trauma and her pain and the brief snatches of hope and happiness that she was able to grab.

And because we got to spend that time with her, to feel for her, and want her to heal... the descent hurts even more. The audience is invested in her. It's the thing no one seemed to get about Jean in the X-Men movies. Jean succumbing to the Dark Phoenix shouldn't be about Logan having a crush on her or Xavier being a douche-nozzle about her powers. It should have always been about Jean and they never set her up as a character to invest in much less care about when she goes bad.

Wanda didn't have a hell of a lot of focus in the movies either. I was astonished when I actually gave a shit about her and Vision in Infinity War because I didn't expect that at all. But between that and then WandaVision (and look her losing Pietro in Ultron really moved me, too, okay?) what I ended up with as a viewer was a fully realized character that was balanced on a precipice... and fell.

Look, I am not thrilled with the various Wanda stories in comics where 'oh shit, Wanda's lost it again and she's too fucking powerful to be this nuts' because it just never sit right. But I actually really liked Wanda's fall in MoM and I also believe that her story doesn't have to end here. Comics are a font of never ending chances for redemption. For a character I had come to loathe in comics ('no more mutants') the fact that I am all in with what went down and what could come next is pretty cool.

I really don't have any complaints. Hell, I love that a female character got this amount of nuance and character exploration as well as being that powerful an antagonist. I don't think she got short shrift at all but I do think that the responses show how well Marvel and Elizabeth Olsen did at making Wanda a character worth giving a shit about for good or ill.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Elizabeth Olsen on Her ‘Embarrassing’ Marvel Scenes, Recovering From Panic Attacks and Whether She’s Still an ‘Aspiring Stoner’
By Kate Aurthur    October 3, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/elizabeth-olsen-wanda-kissing-paul-bettany-stoner-movies-1235391699/ 

You’re blipped away at the end of “Avengers: Infinity War.” What was your experience of working on that movie and “Endgame”?
I mean, those movies I really don’t know what’s going on. I just get my pages, so I understand the part of the story I’m fulfilling. I get a story that is told to me from the Russos about what’s happening in the rest of the movie. And it isn’t in the script that everyone gets blipped.
You couldn’t read the entire script?
Those movies, you could read a script in an office, with a security guard, on one specific iPad. And I was like, “Can you just give me what I need to know?” And I don’t really need to know what happens with Robert [Downey Jr.]’s whole part of the film.

Did you know who died?
Well, I knew he died, because I filmed it.

Oh, yes, of course.
But we called it “The Wedding” on the schedule. But I didn’t know I got blipped away until we shot it. That was told to us that day. All of us went to the van where they had a bunch of equipment to show us pre-viz: Scarlett [Johansson], Chris [Hemsworth], Chadwick [Boseman], Sebastian [Stan]. We were all just in this van, and they said, “This is what’s happening. You guys will disappear.” And we’re like, “OK.” It was shocking. I mean, we didn’t know. We thought the movie ended differently.

What did you think was —
I don’t even remember. I mean, we knew Vision died, but I didn’t know that anything went on past that.

What was filming that scene like? 
So, it’s very embarrassing shooting those kinds of things, because, like, the world depends on you doing it. And we did some improvising, which is hard to improvise those moments. But it also felt good, because at that point, Paul [Bettany] and I really had each other’s back. It was one of the last things we shot. I felt really comfortable with him as an actor if we had to improvise that beat a little bit. We were trying to find it, with the Russos guiding us. And then, once it was over, it was a huge amount of relief. And I just remember being giggly the rest of the day, while Brolin had his helmet on. And I don’t know. These movies are very silly, but you have to act your ass off for them to work.

What’s embarrassing? I mean, I guess I can picture it, now that you say that.
Because you’re like — [holds out her hand]. Ugh, I’m doing this in public. But you have one hand out that’s stopping something with energy. And then you’ve got another hand that’s extracting this fake thing from this dotted face. And it’s painful and emotional.

What’s his physical appearance on the set?
He’s so purple. And then he has a layer of glitter over the purple. So, when he touches you or kisses you, you get glitter on you. And then you’re sweating also, because it was Atlanta. And so, he would just be melting. And then, he had these ear things where he’d have to open up his ears and go like this, and it would just drip water.

It’s just silly. There’s a lot of silly stuff. I always wish that one day they just release a version of the film without any special effects, because then you understand how ridiculous it feels. And how spectacular the work is that goes into making these.

• Love 2

Anthony Mackie Responds to Sebastian Stan Roast — 'He Can Never Be Free of Me' (EXCLUSIVE)
BY KATHERINE STINSON     OCT. 3 2022
https://www.distractify.com/p/will-bucky-be-in-captain-america-4 

For example, when Distractify asked Anthony to respond to Sebastian joking that he was finally free of him during an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Anthony replied, "He can never be free of me!"
Anthony understandably couldn't reveal if Sebastian might appear in Captain America 4 (Kevin Feige has eyes and ears everywhere, after all), but he did tell Distractify this — "Sebastian and I work really well together. We have a lot of fun together. We're old enough now to where we can't get in trouble anymore. So, you know, I think it's inevitable that at some point in time, we'll cross paths in the universe again."
Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a while to find out. Captain America: New World Order doesn't hit theaters until May 3, 2024.

However, we found it quite interesting that Sebastian's next confirmed appearance as Bucky will be in Thunderbolts, the Marvel film premiering right after Captain America: New World Order on July 26th, 2024.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Destin Daniel Cretton Responds to Avengers: The Kang Dynasty Director News (Exclusive)
By LIAM CROWLEY - October 7, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/destin-daniel-cretton-avengers-the-kang-dynasty-exclusive/ 

Speaking with ComicBook.com's Brandon Davis about his upcoming American Born Chinese series at New York Comic Con, Cretton gave his first public response to the news.

"Is it true?" Davis asked.

"Is what true?" Cretton replied.

"Are you the man for Avengers: Kang Dynasty?" Davis questioned.

"Is that true?" Cretton responded. "I think so (laughs)."

The Best of Marvel LIVE at New York Comic Con 2022!
Marvel Entertainment   Oct 9, 2022

ETA:
Marvel LIVE from NYCC 2022! | Day 1
Marvel Entertainment   Streamed on Oct 6, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O4SagMmUNA

Marvel LIVE from NYCC 2022! | Day 2
Marvel Entertainment   Streamed on Oct 7, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAe9SChZ6kA

Marvel LIVE from NYCC 2022! | Day 3
Marvel Entertainment   Streamed on Oct 8, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmLTHrrCWkw

Marvel LIVE from NYCC 2022! | Day 4
Marvel Entertainment   Streamed on Oct 9, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeqIZXBheMI

Edited by tv echo
44 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I saw a tweet about Fantastic 4 being pushed to 2025. Anyone know if that's correct?

It seems to be, according to Deadline.

Marvel Shifts Release Dates For ‘Blade’, ‘Fantastic Four’, ‘Avengers: Secret Wars’, Next ‘Deadpool’ Among Disney Moves

Among the changes, the as-yet-untitled Deadpool threequel has moved from September 6, 2024 to November 8, 2024, with Fantastic Four bumped from that latter date to February 14, 2025. Previously set for November 7, 2025, Avengers: Secret Wars, the first of back-to-back movies in the Avengers series, will now debut on May 5, 2026.

An untitled Marvel pic set for February 14, 2025 has been pushed to November 7, 2025, with another having been removed from the schedule after being set for May 1, 2026.

Blade, the vampire pic starring Mahershala Ali is currently in search of a new director, following Bassim Tariq’s departure. It is now set to open September 6, 2024, having previously been slated for November 3, 2023.

Phase 6 is where the reboot of the Fantastic Four lived, along with the twin Avengers pics: Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars. Both were originally touted to go six months apart in May and December 2025; Kang Dynasty was first up, and was not a part of today’s changes. It will be secret wars that moves into the May 2026 position.

Edited by Starfish35
Adding quote

Also reported by IGN...

Avengers: Secret Wars, Deadpool, and Fantastic Four Have All Been Delayed
By Kat Bailey   Oct 11, 2022
https://www.ign.com/articles/avengers-deadpool-fantastic-four-delays 

Disney confirmed a raft of new dates following reports that work had been paused on Blade. Here's the full list.

• Chevalier: April 27, 2023
  • A Haunting in Venice: September 15, 2023
  • Blade: September 6, 2024 (previously November 3, 2023)
  • Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes: May 24, 2024
  • Untitled Deadpool Movie: November 8, 2024 (previously September 6, 2024)
  • Fantastic Four: February 14, 2025 (previously November 8, 2024)
  • Untitle Marvel Movie: November 7, 2025 (previously February 14, 2025)
  • Avengers: Secret Wars: May 1, 2026 (previously November 7, 2025)
  • Untitled Marvel Movie 2: Removed from schedule (previously May 1, 2026)

The Transformation of Jonathan Majors
BY CLOVER HOPE    OCT 11, 2022
https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a41495793/jonathan-majors-kang-marvel-creed-interview/ 

MAJORS WILL SOON take on the task of following up Josh Brolin’s Thanos with Kang, the anchor of the MCU’s multiverse saga. Avengers: The Kang Dynasty is slated for release in 2025. Majors says, “It was the character and dimensions of Kang [that drew him to the role]. And the potential that it had. I thought, I’ll take a chance on that.” He first talked to Marvel head Kevin Feige only after filming Loki and sealing the deal to play Kang. “Jonathan is an incredibly compelling actor who puts in the work yet makes it look effortless, and he’s also just cool—everyone pays attention when he steps into the room,” says Feige.

Edited by tv echo
18 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Honestly I'm taking Ford's participation as a guarantee Ross will be killed. I'll be shocked if he survives

They should have killed him off long before this, instead of having him show up for Tony’s funeral like he was suddenly their friend. Yes, I’ll always be salty about that bullshit.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 3

Yeah, I don't see any studio hiring an eighty-year-old if they have long term plans for his character. They already had to recast once, they won't want to do it again. And Ford is a curmudgeon who will likely find he hates filming MCU movies.

There are a lot of other actors I'd have been more interested in seeing play Ross - Kevin Costner, Bill Pullman, Iain Glenn, Bryan Cranston, Mandy Patinkin, Jeff Daniels, to name a few.

There's mileage to make Ross one of the main villains of the MCU, with Thunderbolts, Captain America and then into the likely Hulk movie (once they get the full rights back) and the next season of Shulkie.  There's still a lot to say about creeping militarism and private military contractors gaining more and more power around the world. Ross could be the figurehead of that.

• Like 2
12 hours ago, swanpride said:

Do we have a reputable source by now? I refuse to speculate about something unless it has been confirmed....

No. The guy saying it used to work for Variety so he does have good sources but he has also been very wrong. It seems more likely than not but it is still just a rumor at this point. 

I'm torn between thinking "Sam Elliott is right there!" and not wanting his performance to be associated with a character who's leaned too far into being an authoritarian asshole since the MCU started up. Ford may be the better actor to play Ross as he's been depicted in the Avengers movies.

12 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I'm torn between thinking "Sam Elliott is right there!" and not wanting his performance to be associated with a character who's leaned too far into being an authoritarian asshole since the MCU started up. Ford may be the better actor to play Ross as he's been depicted in the Avengers movies.

Multiverse....might as well 😆

On 10/16/2022 at 3:01 PM, Dani said:

No. The guy saying it used to work for Variety so he does have good sources but he has also been very wrong. It seems more likely than not but it is still just a rumor at this point. 

Well, actually more reputable sources are repeating this, so I can it’s official.

5 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, actually more reputable sources are repeating this, so I can it’s official.

Yeah. It looks like Marvel unofficially confirmed it in the trades today. Although I know some will still consider it a just a rumor until Marvel officially confirms it. 

I just got Harrison Ford confused with Tommy Lee Jones for a sec and was like "Wait a minute!  But he was already in a Captain America!"  I guess my brain just thought Harrison Ford = Fugitive = the guy who says "I don't care."

Edited by kiddo82
  • LOL 2

‘She-Hulk’: Charlie Cox Talks the Return of Matt Murdock and Daredevil
BY RACHEL PAIGE    October 19, 2022
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/she-hulk-charlie-cox-matt-murdock-daredevil 

CHARLIE COX: .... From my perspective, I got a phone call from Kevin Feige in 2020 saying “Would you consider coming back and playing the character again? If so, we'd like to put you in Spider-Man: No Way Home, and we'd like to put you in She-Hulk.” From my point of view, it was just suddenly, that was what the next year of my life was going to look like which was incredibly exciting and overwhelming, emotionally overwhelming, as you can imagine, having not heard from— not spoken to anyone or heard from anyone about the character for over two years.
MARVEL.COM: Do you remember your first reaction to that phone call from Kevin? I mean, a phone call from Kevin in itself is pretty exciting, let alone one saying Daredevil is coming back.

CHARLIE COX: Yeah, and also don't forget because the show that we had made before wasn't Marvel Studios, so I had only met Kevin once, and we hadn't even spoken about anything Marvel. We'd just shaken hands, he came to see a play that I was in with Tom Hiddleston. We'd spoken briefly at that point, but I had no relationship with him.

It was in the middle of the pandemic. Everyone was in lockdown. My wife and I had been out for a walk with our children, and when I came back, I had a voicemail saying— it was from Kevin's assistant saying, “This is Kevin Feige's assistant. Would you please call us back?” So my wife freaked out, and I immediately called the number and was put through to Kevin. We had a brief conversation about how crazy the world is right now and everything like that.

I thought maybe he was going to ask me if I would consider doing some big charity event, a video or something to raise money and funds for people suffering during the pandemic. I did not expect to be asked to reprise the role. I have a great mental image in my head of my wife sitting on the steps desperate to know what was happening on the phone.
CHARLIE COX: I talked a little bit to Marvel Studios about where does he come from? Where's his headspace at? What's going on? I don't think we really knew what was going to happen next. When we were shooting it, I certainly didn't know about a new Daredevil show, I think [Marvel Studios] was figuring out what's the next right thing for this character.
MARVEL.COM: You’ve joined the MCU. Daredevil is back. Everyone is over the moon about this. Is there anything you want to say to the fans who have literally been begging for this to happen for the last few years?

CHARLIE COX: There's so much I want to say. Whatever happens to my career going forward from this point on, I owe most of it to the “Save Daredevil” campaign. That even when I had lost hope years ago, they did not, and they continued to campaign and support. And over the years, I've met many of them, and they're such an enthusiastic, passionate crowd.

Daredevil is such an amazing character. It's been the great honor of my career to be offered that part and to be able to play him. I've had such fun with it. It's changed my life irrevocably. And when the show came to an end, despite the disappointment of the journey ending, I felt like we'd done a good job, and we had an amazing time and we could only be grateful for what we'd had.

To be invited back and starting again, almost, it feels like a little bit like a dream. It feels too good to be true. I'm so excited about the future. I can't wait to get on the set from the first day of the new show. I'm already starting to train. As you know, I'm already starting to make plans in terms of living and training and having conversations with the writers and all of those things. So it's starting to feel very real.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Marvel, DC Among Last Bastion for Supersized Paydays
BY AARON COUCH, MIA GALUPPO, BORYS KIT    OCTOBER 21, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/marvel-dc-florence-pugh-michael-keaton-pay-1235243911/ 

And, more often than not, iconic characters like Spider-Man and Batman are seen by studios as more important and valuable than the famous movie stars who are playing them. A seasoned Marvel star might earn top dollar when they are in costume — sources put it at $20 million to $25 million, which is consistent with what Disney trumpeted paying Scarlett Johansson during their since-settled dispute over the day-and-date Black Widow release. Florence Pugh, already an Oscar nominee when she appeared in Black Widow as Yelena Belova, will receive eight figures for her next two Marvel films, including leading the ensemble cast of the villain-centric Thunderbolts, due out July 26, 2024. But that level of pay rarely translates to other roles those actors take on.
Superhero paydays vary wildly based on experience. A first-time superhero lead has remained in the mid-six-figure range for the past decade — and a director new to the Marvel or DC universe will also make mid-six figures for their first superhero feature. That fee can jump to two to five times that for a sequel helmer.

This means that a first-time Marvel director will not net a larger payday than they’d get for any other studio fare. Says one rep, “You do it because you want to make a Marvel movie.”

Print-Issue-31-fea_money_chart-Marvel-Pu 

• Useful 1

Tim Burton Addresses “Surreal” U.K. Politics; ‘Beetlejuice 2’ & Why ‘Dumbo’ Will Likely Be His Last Film With Disney – Lumière Festival Tim Burton Jamboree Continues
By Melanie Goodfellow    October 22, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/10/tim-burtonl-uk-politics-beetlejuice-dumbo-disney-lumiere-festival-1235152608/b

“It’s gotten to be very homogenized, very consolidated. There’s less room for different types of things,” he said, adding he would never do a Marvel movie. “I can only deal with one universe, l can’t deal with a multi-universe.”

I think you're fine because Guardians of the Galaxy, Marvel Entertainment and James Gunn have all posted it on Twitter.

Also, I'm into these one shot specials. They take me back, man. They take me back.

• Love 4