Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

Could Tom Hanks be in a Marvel movie?
Josh Horowitz   Sep 7, 2022

Tom Hanks said that he hasn't been approached about appearing in the MCU, but was open and willing to do so (comparing Marvel's current dominance to the Westerns in the '50s). He was also very complimentary of the MCU movies that he has seen and the acting performances in them.

He's always seemed easy-going and prepared to give different things a try, and even if he doesn't like something, he's going to be polite and not burn any bridges.

• Like 3

From the Disney Legends Awards Ceremony yesterday - the segment honoring the late, great Chadwick Boseman starts at around the 1:50:00 mark (the award was accepted on his behalf by his brother Derrick Boseman)...

Disney Legends Awards Ceremony - D23 Expo 2022
DAPS MAGIC   Sep 10, 2022

Tour The Marvel Studios Pavilion at D23 Expo 2022!
DAPS MAGIC   Sep 9, 2022

Marvel Studios' D23 Sizzle Reel Teases Phase 5's 'Daredevil Born Again' and More
BY TAMERA JONES    SEP 9, 2022
https://collider.com/marvel-sizzle-reel-d23-daredevil-fantastic-four-the-marvels-loki/ 

First up on the reel Marvel went full-force with the highly-anticipated sequel to Captain Marvel, The Marvels. It featured clips of Brie Larson as the first Avenger, Carol Danvers, i.e. Captain Marvel; Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan, or the ultimate Avenger fan-girl and superhero Ms. Marvel; and Teyonah Parris as Monica Rambeau, who took on the mantle of Photon in WandaVision! It was said that the film, which is currently in production, will be "full of comic madness."

The reel continues with the new animated series reboot X-Men '97, promising fans there's still a ton more left to say and do for these heroes. We know the series is going to release ten all-new episodes, and that we can expect it sometime around the summer of 2023, so hopefully, D23 brings us a set release date! Following X-Men, the clip teases the Disney+ series What If...? Season 2 with The Watcher saying, "I can't wait for you to see the brand-new worlds on the horizon..." The first season brought us T'Challa as Starlord and the undead Avengers, and a whole lot of multiversal chaos, so we can't wait to see what's waiting on that horizon.

The rest of the sizzle reel kept it painfully simple, flashing up titles we've been biting our nails over since their 2022 San Diego Comic-Con reveal. Fans can rejoice, for the reel promises updates on Loki Season 2, I Am Groot, Ironheart, the Blade reboot, Spider-Man: Freshman Year; Daredevil Born Again (this earned ear-splitting applause); Captain America: New World Order; Thunderbolts; Marvel Zombies; Fantastic Four (the cheers for which rivaled that of Daredevil); Avengers: Kang Dynasty; Avengers: Secret Wars and all things Phase 5, the Multiverse Saga!

(Everything Always)

18 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

So Zemo isn’t in the lineup after all? Also, Taskmasker?

Sorry, with the exception of Yelena and Bucky, there aren’t enough characters I care about to be interested.

My interest is almost entirely based on Yelena and Bucky. I am mildly curious about what they will do with the rest but Florence Pugh and Sebastian Stan can carry the whole movie.

Although there are some interesting backstory parallels within the group that could be handled really well. 

4 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

So Zemo isn’t in the lineup after all? Also, Taskmasker?

Sorry, with the exception of Yelena and Bucky, there aren’t enough characters I care about to be interested.

I did want to know what happened to Ghost, since the Snap must have affected her chances to be permanently cured as far as the phasing went. Maybe I could be interested in Taskmaster, depending on what they give her to do. I wonder if this means Bucky won't be in any more Captain America projects, if Sam will be going forward alone now that he has the shield.

1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I did want to know what happened to Ghost, since the Snap must have affected her chances to be permanently cured as far as the phasing went.

She must have blipped and Team Ant-Man went back before Stark's funeral if she had no reserves left.

• Useful 1

If they have Yelena and Bucky end up together, it’ll really be a slap in the face to everyone that was hoping for Bucky/Nat to be brought to the big screen. Though the Stucky and Sam/Bucky trolls are in for a rude awakening if they try to do to Florence what they did to Emily Van Camp. 

So people on Twitter really don’t like the title for Captain America: New World Order, since it is the name of a very horrible conspiracy theory. I can’t say they’re wrong. The title alone is a terrible choice, especially NOW. 

Also, I’m happy that Isaiah and Joaquin are back, but if the new Team Cap is going to be a total sausage fest I’m going to be really disappointed. I’m still holding out hope that Power Broker Sharon is a Skrull so they can have the REAL Sharon on Team Cap, but I have zero faith in the MCU when it comes to female characters. If the writers just took the easy way out by writing her out because of the backlash, I’m going to Hulk out.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

If they have Yelena and Bucky end up together, it’ll really be a slap in the face to everyone that was hoping for Bucky/Nat to be brought to the big screen

Do you think enough people will care about them not being faithful to the comics, or will it be more like the people who are mad that Peter Parker isn't with a redhead named Mary Jane?

5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

If they have Yelena and Bucky end up together, it’ll really be a slap in the face to everyone that was hoping for Bucky/Nat to be brought to the big screen. Though the Stucky and Sam/Bucky trolls are in for a rude awakening if they try to do to Florence what they did to Emily Van Camp.

The Kate/Yelena shippers on Twitter are already asking for that to not even be spoken into existence. I would not wish the trolls on Florence, even though I know she could probably handle it, but yeah, we already did this once before so can we please not have 2.0?

• Love 2

...frankly, Bucky/Yelena would be a weird paring for me. Because in my mind, they belong to different generations. That is naturally in a way nonsense, age-wise they are not that far apart, but still, Yelena belongs to the new and Bucky more to the old guard. Plus, why the hell do we need to obsessively pair up all the female characters? 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Do you think enough people will care about them not being faithful to the comics, or will it be more like the people who are mad that Peter Parker isn't with a redhead named Mary Jane?

That’s completely different. MCU MJ is for all intents and purposes Mary Jane in this universe. 

Well. I thought we would get Bucky in this movie and I'm happy about it. However, I will not give up my dream of 'Bucky. In. Space.' Hanging with Nebula & Rocket. Nick Fury.

I know this will be weird coming from me, but I'm not opposed to Bucky and Yelena. I think her energy would be entertaining with his. New comedy duo right there. 

16 minutes ago, festivus said:

Well. I thought we would get Bucky in this movie and I'm happy about it. However, I will not give up my dream of 'Bucky. In. Space.' Hanging with Nebula & Rocket. Nick Fury.

I know this will be weird coming from me, but I'm not opposed to Bucky and Yelena. I think her energy would be entertaining with his. New comedy duo right there. 

I would love Bucky in space. And I’m open to Bucky and Yelena being just friends, because, like you said, comedy duo.

But I just can’t buy him ever becoming besties with Walker. Bucky despised him at first sight, and rushed and halfassed TFAWS finale aside, I don’t that’s going to change any time soon.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2

I’ve been hoping that Bucky and Yelena would cross paths at some point so I’m happy to see that they’ll both be in this movie. They have a similar story in that they both spent years as mind controlled assassins, but now they’ve taken drastically different paths since gaining their freedom. It could be an interesting source of friction with Yelena not understanding why Bucky feels guilt for things done by the Winter Soldier and Bucky not understanding why Yelena is still working as an assassin when she could be doing anything else. I really hope that however they handle their interactions, it doesn’t turn romantic.
Now is Yelena actually leading the team, or is Florence Pugh just the star of the movie? IMO it would make more sense for it to be the latter, and have Bucky as team leader since he’s the only one with team experience, but ymmv.

• Love 2

But I just can’t buy him ever becoming besties with Walker. Bucky despised him at first sight, and rushed and halfassed TFAWS finale aside, I don’t that’s going to change any time soon.

There is also some discussion of whether and how much Walker will clash with Alexei. With good writing, both of the Captain America knockoffs should find plenty to argue about, and as much as Alexei is more comedic and kind of a buffoon, I  would not mind seeing them go to fisticuffs, with Bucky being just like :

image.png.7b697430b8ba8072e37abf6557b16755.png

As a side note, Val must have pulled some strings to keep Barnes out of range of the law, and no I'm not ever going to let that go. Zemo might not be here, but Bucky is. The only explanation for it is that he owes the Countess something or other. I can't even see him being in the same room as Walker otherwise, much less on the same team.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Bucky was only good with a new Captain America because it was Steve's choice. I firmly believe Steve told Bucky not only that he wasn't coming back right away, but that he was passing the shield to Sam. John Walker and the horrible way he handled it are not things Bucky will forget, even if he thought at the end of FATWS that he wouldn't be dealing with Walker again.

I also hope Sam and Bucky are both in the new (terribly titled) Captain America movie. They are good together, plus I think Bucky is still flirting with Sarah!

9 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That’s completely different. MCU MJ is for all intents and purposes Mary Jane in this universe. 

It's not that different since it is still viewers being upset that the movies didn't follow comics storylines. And in both cases people probably used the phrase "slap in the face". Some other changes that the movies have made with respect to love interests include: Peter never getting together with Betty Brandt and Nakia being T'challa's love interest, not a crazy ex-Dora Milage who is obsessed with him.

On an unrelated, note, I watched the Werewolf by Night trailer last night, and does anyone actually know what is going on with that thing. Like is it something that actually happened in the MCU or is it an in universe movie that say Clint and Laura might go see in theatres. Because in the trailer it even had those cigarette burn circles on the screen that are used when movies in theaters are projected from film. Although if it is an in-universe movie maybe this is how they introduce Simon Williams. 

23 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Could be an interesting mix of characters.

Red Guarduan is a fun one to add to the mix.

I was hoping that somehow Trish Walker would end up on the team. She would have been perfect for the Thunderbolts.

• Like 1

There's not, but I would tentatively make the argument that Alexei more than paid for what he did, and that even if he'd wanted to keep his 'family' together, he'd have faced the same repercussions a lot sooner. Dreykov chucked him ass over teakettle into a Russian gulag with no more thought than you'd give to throwing out yesterday's newspaper, and it was only because Natasha decided she needed his help that they got him out before the whole place was buried in the avalanche that Yelena inadvertently caused. He lost years of freedom, during which he clearly devolved into his current self from the guy who was a competent agent and spy. He may well be too goofy to fully understand the extent of the wrong he did, but he hasn't gone unscathed.

Conversely, Bucky Barnes deliberately and of his own free will helped a murderous psychopath escape from the prison cell where he belonged, and that was after Helmut Zemo not only killed innocent people but used him as a pawn to turn the Avengers against one another. I guess you could say his punishment is that he has to hang out with idiot Alexei and puffed-up John Walker, but really, he's been protected for the most part from any consequences, and in this case he didn't even have the brainwashing and mind control to prove he didn't do it himself. Because having a metal arm means never having to say you're sorry.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Conversely, Bucky Barnes deliberately and of his own free will helped a murderous psychopath escape from the prison cell where he belonged, and that was after Helmut Zemo not only killed innocent people but used him as a pawn to turn the Avengers against one another. I guess you could say his punishment is that he has to hang out with idiot Alexei and puffed-up John Walker, but really, he's been protected for the most part from any consequences, and in this case he didn't even have the brainwashing and mind control to prove he didn't do it himself. Because having a metal arm means never having to say you're sorry.

But he's a hot guy who's sad!

• LOL 3

I'm a little surprised that, other than Ghost, this entire team is pretty much just hand-to-hand combat types. No energy blaster or flier or speedster types. Not even anyone above super soldier level strength wise in the mix.

Maybe they're holding off on a few reveals, but that's a team size that's getting a bit unwieldy if they add more.

• Like 1

The following 10-minute video includes key snippets of the following MCU announcements, with the following stars appearing on stage - presented by Kevin Feige...

• Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - Ryan Coogler (director), Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, Tenoch Huerta, Angela Bassett
  • Ironheart - Ryan Coogler (producer), Anthony Ramos (The Hood)
  • Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania - Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Jonathan Majors
  • Werewolf By Night - Michael Giacchino (director), Gael García Bernal, Laura Donnelly
  • Secret Invasion - Don Cheadle
  • Armor Wars - Don Cheadle
  • Loki Season 2 - Tom Hiddleston, Sophie DiMartino, Owen Wilson, Ke Huy Quan
  • Echo - Alaqua Cox, Devery Jacobs, Cody Lightning, Chaske Spencer, Graham Greene, Vincent D'Onofrio
  • Daredevil: Born Again - Charlie Cox, Vincent D'Onofrio
  • Captain America: New World Order - Julius Onah (director), Anthony Mackie, Danny Ramirez, Carl Lumbly
  • Thunderbolts - Jake Schreier (director), Julia Louis-Dreyfus, David Harbor, Hannah John-Kamen, Wyatt Russell, Sebastian Stan
  • The Marvels - Nia DaCosta (director), Iman Vellani, Teyonah Parris, Brie Larson

Marvel Studios Announcements at D23 Expo 2022
Marvel Entertainment   Sep 11, 2022

The following 6-minute video Includes comments by Charlie Cox (Daredevil: Born Again), Iman Vellani (The Marvels), Brie Larson (The Marvels), Teyonah Parris (The Marvels), Nia DaCosta (The Marvels director), Tenoch Huerta (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever), Winston Duke (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever), Don Cheadle (Armor Wars), Jake Schreier (Thunderbolts director), David Harbour (Thunderbolts), Hannah John-Kamen (Thunderbolts), Julius Onah (Captain America: New World Order director), Alaqua Cox (Echo), Michael Giacchino (Werewolf By Night director), Gael García Bernal (Werewolf By Night) and Laura Donnelly (Werewolf By Night)...

MCU Stars LIVE from the Marvel Studios panel at D23 Expo 2022
Marvel Entertainment   Sep 10, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

D23 'Rogers: The Musical' Performance
Variety   Sep 10, 2022

Straight from "Hawkeye" to Anaheim for the D23 Expo. Kevin Feige introduced the first ever live showing of "Rogers: The Musical," which was the Broadway musical created in the MCU timeline centered around Captain Steve Rogers and the Avengers. Get ready for the Loki dancers!

Anthony Mackie on the New Generation of Marvel, Shares the Love For Sebastian Stan
Variety   Sep 10, 2022

Charlie Cox Shares the New Era of 'Daredevil', Touches on Life After 'Spider-Man' Appearance
Variety   Sep 10, 2022

Nia DaCosta and Teyonah Parris Talk Representation and Stunts in 'The Marvels'
Variety   Sep 10, 2022

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Disney’s Bob Chapek on Scar-Jo Aftermath and “Don’t Say Gay” Impact
BY KIM MASTERS  SEPTEMBER 10, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/disney-bob-chapek-d23-interview-1235216556/

You had some bumps in the beginning. If you had the Scarlett Johansson situation all over again, would you do it differently?
There were a lot of people that got a vote in how we handled that. And I was one voice, and I’ll just say that our relationship with her agency and her has never been better.

2 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

I'm a little surprised that, other than Ghost, this entire team is pretty much just hand-to-hand combat types. No energy blaster or flier or speedster types. Not even anyone above super soldier level strength wise in the mix.

Maybe they're holding off on a few reveals, but that's a team size that's getting a bit unwieldy if they add more.

The problem being without more mutants or Inhumans I can't think of anyone yet introduced  who is anything more than a super soldier.  The actor can't be too big yet to afford and already a villain to meet the theme. Maybe Mickey Rourke, with Tim Roth already in use. A paroled Justin Hammer by Sam Rockwell to update the older Red Guardian like he did War Machine could be a joke on the Crimson Dynamo joke used in Black Widow.

Edited by Raja
13 hours ago, Raja said:

The problem being without more mutants or Inhumans I can't think of anyone yet introduced  who is anything more than a super soldier.  The actor can't be too big yet to afford and already a villain to meet the theme. Maybe Mickey Rourke, with Tim Roth already in use. A paroled Justin Hammer by Sam Rockwell to update the older Red Guardian like he did War Machine could be a joke on the Crimson Dynamo joke used in Black Widow.

I thought they'd be heavier on new to the MCU characters from the comics, like Atlas, Songbird, Moonstone, and Fixer, mixed with some established characters like Yelena and Walker.

As it stands this isn't even really a villain team. Bucky is a hero, Yelena and Walker also both are established as leaning more to the good/heroic side after their most recent D+ series spots, Ghost and Red Guardian are more anti-heroes and MCU Taskmaster is another brain washing/mind control victim.

If they wanted to use more established figures, I think that a theatrical film would have probably had higher "dibs" on Abomination and they've got possible options like Agatha or Mordo out there.

Edited by Perfect Xero
7 hours ago, Perfect Xero said:

As it stands this isn't even really a villain team. Bucky is a hero, Yelena and Walker also both are established as leaning more to the good/heroic side after their most recent D+ series spots, Ghost and Red Guardian are more anti-heroes and MCU Taskmaster is another brain washing/mind control victim.

I'm excited to see Bucky and Yelena get a movie, but I really don't care about anyone else on this team. I do like the idea of breaking Bucky away from being Sam's sidekick, but I worry that they'll just use him as a stiff, humourless foil for Yelena and Red Guardian to bounce off. I don't ever need to see the MCU version of Taskmaster again.

I would say that I'm intrigued by the idea of this being an espionage thriller, with pared back action and CGI, due to the characters all being military/spy types. But I said that with Black Widow and we still got ridiculous action set pieces and non-superpowered characters doing superpowered things.

Meanwhile, Captain America: New World Order (bad title) has cast a mutant character, Sabra, which is intriguing. They're definitely building up to the X-Men, and I really can't wait to see what we get with that.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Panels seem to be mostly comics related...

ETA (Updated): Although it's not mentioned in the above article, Sebastian Stan, Oscar Isaac and Anson Mount are scheduled to be guests at NYCC in October.

Edited by tv echo

‘She-Hulk’ Actor Benedict Wong Talks Living in the “Wong Cinematic Universe”
BY SYDNEY ODMAN    SEPTEMBER 14, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/she-hulk-benedict-wong-talks-wong-cinematic-universe-1235220121/ 

Playing the dedicated Sorcerer Supreme — also known as simply Wong — the actor has become as a connecting thread across the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Phase 4. After appearances in both Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, Wong also popped up in Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Spider-Man: No Way Home, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness and, most recently, Disney+ series She-Hulk: Attorney at Law.
Throughout Phase 4, it feels like your character Wong is a major connecting thread across the films and shows. You said last year that Kevin Feige called it the “Wong Cinematic Universe” in an email. Since, the WCU has really picked up steam on Twitter. What is your reaction to that kind of momentum for the character?
I’ve got the email, I’m seriously considering getting it as a wallpaper. No, I told the internet, and now it’s everywhere. But that’s really kind of him to say. For me, I’m just like an overexcited puppy when I get the call from him, you know? Like, “Hey, would you like to be in X?” And that comes from me, just personally, being such a Marvel fan. Growing up as a kid, reading Spider-Man comics, and then just finding myself in this world and finding a character called Wong. Im just enjoying playing this role and where it takes me. In every single kind of project that they invite me to be involved in, it just pulls away another layer of the onion, you know? You get to find a little bit more about the eccentricities of the Sorcerer Supreme.
Tatiana is a newcomer in the MCU, as was Simu Liu in Shang Chi and Xochitl Gomez in Doctor Strange. As a veteran of the franchise, is it your job to welcome them in?
Yeah. It’s funny, because I remember that with Simu. When they were filming, I think when they saw me arrive, they finally realized that they were in a Marvel film. I kind of put my wax seal of approval. I mean, obviously, what can I do but say welcome to the MCU — or sorry, the WCU, or whichever. And whatever learning curves and curveballs that I can add or any sort of advice, I’m always there. Especially with Xochitl as well, being just a very wide-eyed rabbit in the headlights. I think it’s kind of a duty really, being a member of a big ensemble company, to kind of steady people and reassure them.
There’s a movement among fans for a Wong series. Is that something you’re still hoping for, as well?
You know, a lot of people have said that. Yeah, I could certainly think of some ideas. But hey, it’s not for me to push that. If you ever see anyone, send the question over there. I mean, look, I love playing this role, and I think there’s so much more scope that we could go into with a series, yeah.

Marvel Studios Issues Statement on Controversial New Superhero Casting
By Sam Hargrave    September 16, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-sabra-mcu-superhero 

During Disney's D23 convention, Marvel Studios revealed Captain America: New World Order will introduce Shira Haas as Sabra, an Israeli superhero. Sabra is a mutant with close ties to her national government as she works for Mossad, Israel's national intelligence agency.
The casting reveal recently stirred up viral controversies as the MCU edges into the territory of the Israel/Palestine conflict that has endured since the mid-20th century. Now, Marvel Studios finally responded to the situation.
Following a viral outcry regarding Shira Haas' casting as Sabra, an Israeli superhero, in Captain America: New World Order, Marvel Studios responded in a statement issued to The New York Times. 
“While our characters and stories are inspired by the comics. They are always freshly imagined for the screen and today’s audience, and the filmmakers are taking a new approach with the character Sabra who was first introduced in the comics over 40 years ago.”

MCU Phase 7: Disney Confirms 4 Release Dates After Multiverse Saga
By Aeron Mer Eclarinal   September 17, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-phase-7-disney-release-dates-multiverse-saga 

Following a confirmed delay to an unnamed Marvel Studios project (rumored to be Deadpool 3), Disney's official theatrical slate reaffirmed what's next for the MCU after the expected game-changing events of Avengers: Secret Wars. 

Based on the House of Mouse's schedule, there are 4 movies that are slated after Secret Wars:

• February 13, 2026 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • May 1, 2026 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • July 24, 2026 - Untitled Marvel Movie
  • November 6, 2026 - Untitled Marvel Movie

As all of these dates fall after Secret Wars' November 2025 premiere and Feige confirmed that Phase 6 concludes with Avengers 6, it's a given that these four release are all Phase 7 movies.

Edited by tv echo

Julius Onah Talks Captain America: New World Order At D23 Expo
Screen Rant Plus   Sep 15, 2022

‘Fantastic Four’: Jeff Kaplan & Ian Springer To Write New Film For Marvel Studios
By Justin Kroll     September 21, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/09/fantastic-four-jeff-kaplan-ian-springer-marvel-studios-1235123893/ 

EXCLUSIVE: With Matt Shakman boarding as director, Marvel Studios has now found its writers to deliver the new Fantastic Four pic. Sources tell Deadline that Jeff Kaplan and Ian Springer are on board to write the script for the film.

Insiders add that the writing duo actually has been involved with Fantastic Four for some time, even before Shakman was tapped as director, and have been outlining where this next series of films will fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe alongside Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. Kaplan, Springer and Shakman now will come together to align their visions for this project before writer dive into the script. Feige is producing the pic.

Marvel had no comment.

I saw my Twitter blow up with it and figured it was total BS. 

This was pretty cool as far as announcements go. Guess I'll go see this one in theaters even if I was disappointed with 2.

Seems fitting that Deadpool is Jackman's last turn as Wolverine since Wolverine Origins introduced Reynolds as Deadpool 

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1