Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

Marvel Studios Earns Historic Placement In National Film Registry Collection
By Gillian Blum   December 14, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-national-film-registry-collection 

One of Marvel Studios' earliest films made history as the first MCU film to be selected for preservation in the National Film Registry.
Each year, the Library of Congress selects 25 films that are at least 10 years old and considered "'culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" to preserve. ....
The National Film Registry released its 2022 selections, including the historic addition of 2008's Iron Man.

Iron Man marks the first MCU film to be added to the collection, though it is not the first superhero film — the Robert Downey Jr. movie joins two other comic book movies, 1978's Superman and 2008's The Dark Knight, on the Registry's lauded list. Other films added in 2022 include The Little Mermaid, Hairspray, and When Harry Met Sally.

‘Iron Man,’ ‘Little Mermaid’ and ‘When Harry Met Sally’ Added to National Film Registry
By Rebecca Rubin    December 14, 2022
https://variety.com/2022/film/news/iron-man-little-mermaid-national-film-registry-1235459238/ 

Turner Classic Movies will host a television special on Dec. 27 at 8 p.m. ET to screen a selection of motion pictures named to the registry this year.
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige says he’s delighted that director Jon Favreau’s “Iron Man,” the film that popularized the Marvel Cinematic Universe, made the list.

“Iron Man was the very first film Marvel Studios independently produced,” Feige said in a statement. “It was the first film that we had all of the creative control and oversight on and it was really make or break for the studio.”

He adds, “All of our favorite movies are the ones that we watch over and over again and that we grow up with. The notion that here we are, almost 15 years after the release of ‘Iron Man,’ and to have it join the Film Registry tells us it has stood the test of time and that it is still meaningful to audiences around the world.”

2023’s Most Anticipated Movies: ‘Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 3’ Leads Fandango Survey
Anthony D'Alessandro   December 20, 2022 
https://deadline.com/2022/12/top-movies-2023-guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-3-fandango-1235203078/ 

Digital movie ticket retailer Fandango has unveiled the results of its 2023 Most Anticipated Movies Survey, and what audiences want to see the most is James Gunn’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.
2023’s Most Anticipated Blockbusters:

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse (June 2)
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (Feb. 17)
  4. John Wick: Chapter 4 (March 24)
  5. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (June 30)
  6. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom (Dec. 25)
  7. Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One (July 14)
  8. The Hunger Games: The Ballad of the Songbirds and Snakes (Nov. 17)
  9. Creed III (March 3)
  10. The Super Mario Bros. Movie (April 7)

Most Anticipated New Performance on the Big Screen:

1. Halle Bailey (The Little Mermaid)
  2. Viola Davis (The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes)
  3. Jonathan Majors (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania)
  4. Christopher Walken (Dune: Part 2)
  5. Margot Robbie (Barbie)

Most Anticipated Hero:

1. Chris Pratt as Star Lord (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3)
  2. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones (Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny)
  3. Keanu Reeves as John Wick (John Wick 4)
  4. Zoe Saldana as Gamora (Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3)
  5. Paul Rudd as Ant-Man (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania)

Most Anticipated Villain:

1. Melissa McCarthy as Ursula (The Little Mermaid)
  2. Bill Skarsgård as the Marquis (John Wick 4)
  3. Jonathan Majors as Kang the Conqueror (Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania)
  4. Jack Black (voice) as Bowser (The Super Mario Bros. Movie)
  5. Jason Momoa as Dante (Fast X)     

Most Anticipated Superhero Movies

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  2. Spider-Man Across the Spider-Verse
  3. Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania
  4. The Marvels (July 28)
  5. Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom
Edited by tv echo

Marvel Studios Earns 6 Oscar Pre-Nominations for 2022
By Russ Milheim    December 21, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-oscars-2022-nominations 

The Academy Awards has pre-nominated two Marvel Studios projects (Black Panther: Wakanda Forever and Doctor Strange In the Multiverse of Madness) for the Oscars shortlist across various categories.

Makeup and Hairstyling

• All Quiet on the Western Front
  • Amsterdam
  • Babylon
  • The Batman
  • Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  • Blonde
  • Crimes of the Future
  • Elvis
  • Emancipation
  • The Whale

Sound

• Babylon
  • The Batman
  • Elvis
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
  • Moonage Daydream
  • Top Gun: Maverick

Visual Effects

• Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore
  • Jurassic World Dominion
  • Nope
  • Thirteen Lives
  • Top Gun: Maverick

Music (Original Score)

• Babylon
  • The Banshees of Inisherin
  • Devotion
  • Don't Worry Darling
  • Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • The Fablemans
  • Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
  • Guillermo del Toro's Pinnocchio
  • Nope
  • She Said
  • The Woman King
  • Women Talking

Music (Original Song)

• "Time" from Amsterdam
  • "Nothing is Lost (You Give Me Strength)" from Avatar: The Way of Water
  • "Lift Me Up" from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
  • "This is A Life" from Everything Everywhere All at Once
  • "Ciao Papa" from Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
  • "Til You're Home" from A Man Called Otto
  • "Naatu Naatu" from RRR
  • "My Mind & Me" from Slenda Gomez: My Mind & Me
  • "Good Afternoon" from Spirited
  • "Applause" from Tell It Like a Woman
  • "Stand Up" from Till
  • "Holy My Hand" from Top Gun: Maverick
  • "Dust & Ash" from The Voice of Dust and Ash
  • "Carolina" from Where the Crawdads Sing
  • "New Body Rhumba" from White Noise

It's important to note, however, that these are not the final nominations, so not every project listed in each category will be up for its respective award come March.

Edited by tv echo
On 11/22/2022 at 1:25 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

The other thing about general recasting is that I don't think movie fans would accept the whole sliding scale timeline bullshit (where everything in the comics that has happened since 1961 has actually taken place over like 10 years) the same way comics fans do. They would expect some sort of passage of time (and the character growth that goes with it), at least close to real time. But if 10 years after he first appears they recast Peter Parker and he is still in high school I think people would be annoyed. And if after 10 years Tony Stark is a different actor but the same vaguely middle aged cocky playboy I am not sure people would care about him.

They already did the sliding timeline in the new X-Men movies. Noone can convince me that 30 years have passed between the first and last one in the story.

• Like 1
On 11/23/2022 at 4:48 PM, rmontro said:

This article explains a lot.  Marvel producer Nate Moore says that he does not want to hire writers who are Marvel fans, but rather people who are out of the culture that will look at them differently.  

[…]

https://boundingintocomics.com/2022/11/21/marvel-studios-producer-considers-it-a-red-flag-if-prospective-writers-are-fans-of-original-comics-prefers-to-hire-someone-whos-out-of-the-culture/

That site is somewhere between "alt-lite" to full on alt-right. The first thing that threw me was them calling Taika Waititi "David Cohen", and looking into it a bit further, that whole site is fully on board with Comicsgaters.

And even so, the piece still says Marvel Studios do hire fans: (my emphasis added)

Noting that some Marvel writers grew up reading and collecting comics, such as Avengers: Endgame co-director Joe Russo and Black Panther director Ryan Coogler

On 11/23/2022 at 7:38 PM, rmontro said:

All the writers don't have to be fans, but there should be some fans around that can give their input.

Feige and Moore and 'em are fans! They know the comics lore, and then they want to not have the MCU be built by an echo chamber of nerds. Like, over in DC Comics (not even the movies, just the comics), they've rebooted their universe so many times and then their writers -- often big fans of what came before -- undo so many of the reboot changes because they, as fans, liked what came before.

• Applause 2
11 hours ago, arc said:

And even so, the piece still says Marvel Studios do hire fans: (my emphasis added)

The examples given were from Black Panther and Endgame.  As I said before, the MCU started out doing great adaptations of their heroes.  The move against comic book fans seems to be a more recent one.  

32 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The examples given were from Black Panther and Endgame.  As I said before, the MCU started out doing great adaptations of their heroes.  The move against comic book fans seems to be a more recent one.  

I think you’re seeing what you want to see in that summary of the interview. Nate Moore has been with Marvel since at least when the Winter Soldier movie was in preproduction, looking to hire writers and directors. This is the same guy who was an exec making those critical hiring decisions during the movies you liked more and now the phase you like less.

I went to the actual podcast (Spotify thankfully provides an automated transcript, making it easier to skip to stuff) and Moore is a fan himself. He talks about still having longboxes in his garage.

Also, Bounding Into Comics has taken an anti-Waititi stance but objectively the fan excitement was way, way higher for Ragnarok and even Love & Thunder than it was for Thor 1 and Dark World. Marvel probably did lose some fans who liked Branagh’s take a little more, but they gained more fans than they lost. The way Bounding talks, you’d think Waititi’s movies were commercial failures.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, rmontro said:

Watching the nerd press on Youtube I am getting the impression that the current generation of comics creators  have retconned classics and made new characters that are different from those that I remember from my day. But then the last MCU story that I have any first hand knowledge of is the touching on Demon in a Bottle for Iron Man 2 and some previous early appearances that morphed into the Age of Ultron comics a couple of decades after its introduction.

9 hours ago, rmontro said:

But in that same round of press, Nate Moore reveals that Ryan Coogler is a huge comic fan. He asked in 2017 for them to save Namor for him to use in a Black Panther story because he is a comic fan. Namor wasn’t changed because a non-fan wanted to make a change. It’s not a move against fans but representative of the fact that different fans care about different things. 

It is true that Moore said that the Endgame writers aren’t comic fans but that’s also not a move against comic fans. They are the same writers who wrote The First Avenger and the rest of Steve’s trilogy. Writers who have been praised for their understanding of Steve as a character. The directors of Endgame are also massive comic fans. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

But in that same round of press, Nate Moore reveals that Ryan Coogler is a huge comic fan. He asked in 2017 for them to save Namor for him to use in a Black Panther story because he is a comic fan. Namor wasn’t changed because a non-fan wanted to make a change change. It’s not a move against fans but representative of the fact that different fans care about different things. 

Whatever the reason, I didn't care for the changes made to Namor.  I don't mind changes to characters, but to me, there are some characters that shouldn't be changed, out of respect.  And Namor falls into that category for me because he is such an old, classic, important character, and one of the very first Marvel heroes.

Some characters are so iconic they shouldn't be changed, and some characters are my favorites and I don't want to see them changed.  What they do to the others is not so important to me.

9 hours ago, rmontro said:

3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Some characters are so iconic they shouldn't be changed, and some characters are my favorites and I don't want to see them changed.  What they do to the others is not so important to me.

Then I'm confused. Do you want the movies to be faithful to the comics across the board, or just in bits and pieces? There's a big difference between "Don't change anything!" and "Well, you can change this but not that, but it also has to stay true to the original work." I've been under the impression that that's the issue for many of the comics crowd, that it's mostly that the movies have changed things they don't like.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Then I'm confused. Do you want the movies to be faithful to the comics across the board, or just in bits and pieces?

Well, of course ideally, if I had my way I'd like to see the movies be as close to the comics as possible.  With the realization that some things have to be altered a bit to fit the film medium.  But that said, it's obvious that I'm not going to get my way, and they are going to change things whether I like it or not.  Even though I think that they would be more successful themselves making more faithful adaptations, they just don't realize it, or they don't want to do it. 

So with that in mind, the most I can hope for is that they change the stuff they're going to change, but they leave my favorites alone, and treat those with respect.  But the fact is I don't have much hope that they will make a faithful adaptation of my favorites, so I'm not optimistic.

37 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Well, of course ideally, if I had my way I'd like to see the movies be as close to the comics as possible. 

Which ones though? I read comics for years and characters and stories are hardly consistent. I mean if you go back and read the Captain America stories from WWII they don't end when Steve Rogers falls in the ice not to be mentioned for almost 20 years. That was a change to his back story that Lee and Kirby introduced in the 60's. So if a Captain America movie wanted to be faithful to Cap's story should they include the frozen in ice thing or not?

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Applause 1
8 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Which ones though? I read comics for years and characters and stories are hardly consistent. I mean if you go back and read the Captain America stories from WWII they don't end when Steve Rogers falls in the ice not to be mentioned for almost 20 years. That was a change to his back story that Lee and Kirby introduced in the 60's. So a movie wanted to be faithful to Cap's story should they include the frozen in ice thing or not?

The Lee/Kirby days were Marvel's finest era, and introduced a revolution in comics that we are still feeling today.  Much like rock music in the '60s, comics first came to be seen as art in the '60s.  Those stories should be respected above all.  So I absolutely am in favor of the ice story, it forms the whole backdrop of Captain America as a man out of time.  If not for the Lee/Kirby era, we wouldn't have the MCU.  

5 hours ago, rmontro said:

The Lee/Kirby days were Marvel's finest era, and introduced a revolution in comics that we are still feeling today.  Much like rock music in the '60s, comics first came to be seen as art in the '60s.  Those stories should be respected above all.  So I absolutely am in favor of the ice story, it forms the whole backdrop of Captain America as a man out of time.  If not for the Lee/Kirby era, we wouldn't have the MCU.  

Personally, I can’t resolve the racism and sexism inherent to the era as with something that should be respected above all. To me respecting the Lee/Kirby era is more about being true to the intent and what that translates into in a more modern era. The comics were deliberately progressive for the time and a faithful recreation would be regressive for our time. 

5 hours ago, Dani said:

Personally, I can’t resolve the racism and sexism inherent to the era as something that should be respected above all. To me respecting the Lee/Kirby era is more about being true to the intent and what that translates into in a more modern era. The comics were deliberately progressive for the time and a faithful recreation would be regressive for our time. 

I would point out that this has come up before, though. If they'd wanted to create a "period appropriate" version of Steve Rogers, he'd have been the icon of unthinking patriotism and whatever else he could have been, and that in itself is an alteration given the time the character originates from. I'm wondering if its intent or execution, because a faithful recreation would have Steve ending up as a decent guy who doesn't hijack the life of a woman who had already gone on without him.

• Applause 1
14 hours ago, rmontro said:

So then what are your thoughts on Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Because for me it is still the best MCU movie. But if we are just sticking with Lee/Kirby era continuity, Bucky is dead. Although like Cap in the ice that was already a change from WWII era stories where Bucky didn't actually die.

11 hours ago, Dani said:

Personally, I can’t resolve the racism and sexism inherent to the era as with something that should be respected above all. To me respecting the Lee/Kirby era is more about being true to the intent and what that translates into in a more modern era. The comics were deliberately progressive for the time and a faithful recreation would be regressive for our time. 

Oh man. Back in the 90's I read a bunch of those essential Marvel collected editions where early stories were printed black and white on like phone book quality paper and they were usually $12-15. It was early in the days of online shopping and a lot of places like Barnes and Noble and Amazon would give you $10 off your first purchase. And being a university student at the time I had a lot of email addresses and was a new customer a lot of times. And I think I lost count of how many times I read the phrase "Bamboo Curtain" when reading Iron Man stories, because his enemies were communists in Asia.

I also weirdly lost count of the number of times an asbestos rope was used to defeat The Human Torch. But that is also another weird way those stories are super dated.

9 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I would point out that this has come up before, though. If they'd wanted to create a "period appropriate" version of Steve Rogers, he'd have been the icon of unthinking patriotism and whatever else he could have been, and that in itself is an alteration given the time the character originates from. I'm wondering if its intent or execution, because a faithful recreation would have Steve ending up as a decent guy who doesn't hijack the life of a woman who had already gone on without him.

Sorry, but I’m really not following your point. 

16 hours ago, Dani said:

Personally, I can’t resolve the racism and sexism inherent to the era as with something that should be respected above all. To me respecting the Lee/Kirby era is more about being true to the intent and what that translates into in a more modern era.

I take offense at the suggestion that Stan Lee was racist.  I would say very much the opposite.

1 hour ago, rmontro said:

I take offense at the suggestion that Stan Lee was racist.  I would say very much the opposite.

I never said that he was. I was saying that the racism and sexism inherent to the time period resulted in the comics, at times, being racist and sexist. There was a lot great things to come out of the era and there is also a lot that has aged very poorly. 

I am saying that characters from visionaries who deliberately created progressive content designed to challenge social mores of the time need to continue that tradition as society progresses. What was groundbreaking for Stan Lee in the 60’s is dated today. That updating these characters is honoring the spirit of the era. 

I would not call Stan Lee racist for a lot of reasons but some of his content absolutely is racist. 
Exhibit A:

EF554C95-EE56-451F-B0BB-846841EB49F1.webp

10 minutes ago, Dani said:

What was groundbreaking for Stan Lee in the 60’s is dated today. That updating these characters is honoring the spirit of the era. 

I'm not saying the movies have to be set in the '60s.  The first Iron Man movie is a good example of what I consider a good adaptation.  All characters need to be updated to a certain extent, but that can be taken too far.  IMO the changes to Namor went too far, to the point that he is basically a different character.

Just now, rmontro said:

I'm not saying the movies have to be set in the '60s.  The first Iron Man movie is a good example of what I consider a good adaptation.  All characters need to be updated to a certain extent, but that can be taken too far.  IMO the changes to Namor went too far, to the point that he is basically a different character.

Yes, I understand what you are saying. We just have very different opinions on what is too far.

On 12/27/2022 at 5:53 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

17 hours ago, Dani said:

I think the point was quite clear. The MCU does whatever it wants with the characters, good or bad, faithfulness be damned.

• Applause 1

Stan Lee | Announcement | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    posted 1 day ago

Marvel Studios Is FINALLY Releasing an Official MCU Timeline
By Jennifer McDonough      December 29, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-mcu-timeline-official 

A new product listing on Penguin Random House’s website revealed that a new book entitled Marvel Studios The Marvel Cinematic Universe: An Official Timeline is on the way. 

Described as "the definitive, filmmaker-endorsed guide to the lore, timelines, and characters of the Marvel Cinematic Universe," the 320-page book is set to release on September 5, 2023. Its current pre-order price is listed at $50.

ETA: Amazon.com also has a listing for this book here.

Edited by tv echo

Charlie Cox on Treason, Daredevil: Born Again and his rebellious streak
Chris Mandle    December 26, 2022
https://inews.co.uk/culture/television/charlie-cox-interview-treason-netflix-daredevil-born-again-disney-plus-2046338 

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has grown exhausting in scope as it has introduced the concept of “multiverses”. I ask Cox if this Matt Murdock is the same one from the original Netflix show or if he’s playing a new character. “I don’t think it’s a different character. I just think it’s maybe a different period of his life. I don’t think my interpretation will change – they hired the same actor. We’re saying this is a whole new… era, or variant?” He pauses for a moment. “I haven’t read the scripts, so I don’t know. But like, it’s part of the multiverse?”

More details...

Jeremy Renner Was Run Over by 7-Ton Snow Plow, Authorities Say
By Livia Albeck-Ripka Published Jan. 3, 2023  Updated Jan. 4, 2023
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/03/us/jeremy-renner-accident-snow-plow.html

Jeremy Renner Shares Photo in Hospital Following Injury
By Klein Felt    January 4, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/jeremy-renner-hospital-photo

Chris Evans & More Marvel Actors React to Jeremy Renner Hospitalization
By Nathan Johnson    January 4, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/chris-evans-jeremy-renner-marvel-actors

• Like 1

Producer Nate Moore On Pivoting ‘Black Panther’ After Chadwick Boseman’s Death And “More Stories To Be Told” With Harry Styles – Crew Call Podcast
By Anthony D'Alessandro    January 9, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/01/wakanda-forever-chadwick-boseman-harry-styles-nate-moore-interview-podcast-1235215276/

In addition we talk with Moore about the Black Marvel superheroes he’s excited to bring to the big screen, i.e. Monica Rambeau in The Marvels. The Blue Marvel is another possiblity.

“There’s no secret the X-Men are coming home, if you talk Storm and Bishop, they’re two of the great characters in that franchise,” says Moore who emphasizes, “we’re early, early days” on that reboot.

And as far as other Marvel properties to be exploited on the big screen, let’s not forget Harry Styles’ turn as Starfox at the end of Eternals.

“We didn’t cast Harry for a tag,” says Moore who also produced that MCU title, “(There’s) more stories to be told with that character.”

“He has an interesting connection with Thanos; they’re half-brothers and share the same father.”

Edited by tv echo
1 minute ago, Bruinsfan said:

Is Bishop that great a character? I'd think Monet St. Croix would have eclipsed him by now. (Mind you, I think Stevie Hunter is the second most awesome black X-Men character, and I'd love to see her in a movie.)

It might be generational but I knew Bishop before his movie appearance and Stevie Hunter means nothing to me.

On 12/27/2022 at 12:07 PM, Dani said:

Late with this, but I'll be more precise, although @Spartan Girlhas underlined my main point.

Why shouldn't Steve Rogers have been racist/sexist, etc? You said it yourself, that's the era the character comes from, and while I'm sure Stan Lee was in no way prejudiced, some of his content does offend modern sensibilities. What better candidate would there have been if not the blond, blue-eyed white guy who was born in 1940s Brooklyn, which I'm also sure was not a bastion of enlightenment. But Stan went the other way, made sure Cap wasn't the guy who just follows orders and doesn't wave the flag every chance he gets, so....why?

As per Twitter, there's a kerfuffle over John Ridley's Black Panther run, where Cap beats T'Challa down, and while I'm not a comics reader and don't know the full context, some readers are quite upset by the imagery of the fight. It's kind of devolved into "comics characters beat the shit out of each other for no reason all the time", but I'm wondering if they would be more or less offended if it was someone else telling T'Challa to stay down. Tony Stark. John Walker. Even Clint Barton, provided he'd eaten his Wheaties that morning. Those characters were all "born" in the modern era, unlike Steve, and therefore might have less baggage from a less evolved time, even though Tony's material privilege could count against him with some. As it stands, it's Steve, who represents something he doesn't embody, if that makes sense. The only point I was trying to make is that Stan Lee created Steve Rogers as the most non-typical man of his time that he could, but it's the movies that messed that up.

7 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Why shouldn't Steve Rogers have been racist/sexist, etc? You said it yourself, that's the era the character comes from, and while I'm sure Stan Lee was in no way prejudiced, some of his content does offend modern sensibilities. What better candidate would there have been if not the blond, blue-eyed white guy who was born in 1940s Brooklyn, which I'm also sure was not a bastion of enlightenment. But Stan went the other way, made sure Cap wasn't the guy who just follows orders and doesn't wave the flag every chance he gets, so....why?

Thanks for clarifying. In my opinion there is no reason at all. I feel like Cap (and Bucky) are a completely separate issue since their MCU introduction is set in the same era they were introduced in the comics. For example, The First Avenger showed a small taste of racism and sexism of the era and that doesn’t bother me at all because it was deliberate and realistic for the time.

I wouldn’t work for me if Steve was a full blown racist or sexist but I would have been fine if Steve struggling to adapt to modern views of race and gender were a part of his character. It probably would have made him a better character to show him occasionally put is foot in his mouth. 

It also wouldn’t bother me if/when we see racist and sexist characters in modern times if it is a deliberate and well written choice. My issues is with bringing the often unintentional racism and sexism of the comic past only because it is comic accurate. There is a difference between a character that is racist and sexist and one that is being characterized is a sexist or racist manner.

On 1/12/2023 at 10:29 AM, Bruinsfan said:

Is Bishop that great a character? I'd think Monet St. Croix would have eclipsed him by now. (Mind you, I think Stevie Hunter is the second most awesome black X-Men character, and I'd love to see her in a movie.)

I hate M...love Penny but, I love Bishop and Shard so if we're picking, I'd put all 3 and Cecliia Reyes. 

I had to Google Stevie Hunter, she never showed up in the 10-12 years I collected.  

Kevin Feige Calls Out People Who Don’t Like Superhero Stories
By Klein Felt    January 19, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/kevin-feige-superhero-stories-dont-like 

In an interview on the official Black Panther: Wakanda Forever podcast, Feige responded to people "who can’t get past a genre story" and simply write off anything within the superhero genre saying "No, not for me" simply because it is a comic book story:

"There were some people, who couldn’t get past a four-color, printed, two-dimensional story. You know, they just couldn’t do that. Just like today, dare I say it. The people who can’t get past a genre story or something that’s in space, or people who can breathe underwater. ’No, not for me.’”

Marvel Studio producer Nate Moore, who joined Feige on the podcast, chimed in as well, nothing that these detractors see these films as "a theme park" and not a movie. 

This comment from Moore was in direct response to Martin Scorsese's thoughts on the genre from back in 2019. At the time, he told Empire Magazine (via ComicBook.com) that Marvel films were not cinema, instead comparing them to "well made...theme parks:"

Edited by tv echo

SECRETS OF MARVEL STUDIOS with KEVIN FEIGE
The Movie Business Podcast    Jan 11, 2023

‘Captain America: New World Order’: Xosha Roquemore  Lands Key Role In New Marvel Pic Starring Anthony Mackie
By Justin Kroll    January 20, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/01/captain-america-new-world-order-xosha-roquemore-anthony-mackie-1235228061/ 

EXCLUSIVE: Rising star Xosha Roquemore is the latest to join the ensemble of Marvel’s Captain America: New World Order starring Anthony Mackie. Tim Blake Nelson, Harrison Ford, Danny Ramirez, Carl Lumbly and Shira Haas are also on board. Julius Onah will direct the pic with Falcon and the Winter Soldier showrunner Malcolm Spellman writing the script along with Dalan Musson.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) is vast, incredibly varied, and richly complex. Different worlds, different timelines, countless characters. This is the guide to that universe. Created in close collaboration with Marvel Studios, it will answer the biggest questions: what happened, when, where, and why. 

Follow the entire story of the MCU from before the Big Bang to the Blip and beyond. Along the way, learn more about the evolution of the Iron Man armors, the hunt for the Infinity Stones, and the formation of the Multiverse. Want to know how many times aliens have invaded Earth, or the complete history of Cap’s shield? Look no further!

A treasured keepsake for any movie buff, filled with exclusive infographics, illuminating timelines, and amazing movie stills, this book will have pride of place on any MCU fan’s shelf.

Edited by tv echo

‘The Bear’ Breakout Star Ayo Edebiri Joins Marvel Studios’ ‘Thunderbolts’ Movie
By Justin Kroll     January 26, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/01/the-bear-ayo-edebiri-marvel-thunderbolts-1235241763/ 

EXCLUSIVE: After playing one of the chefs behind a Chicago sandwich shop in the FX series The Bear, Ayo Edebiri has found a new team to join as sources tell Deadline she has boarded Marvel Studios’ Thunderbolts in a new secret role.

• Like 1

Marvel's Top 6 Most Popular Movies on Disney+ Revealed by New Data
By Savannah Sanders     January 31, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-movies-most-popular-disney-plus-data 

As reported by The Wrap, Marvel movies made up the majority of the most-watched films on Disney+ last month.  

This viewership data is the result of Parrot Analytics which considers account consumer research, downloads, streaming, social media, and other forms of engagement in its results.

The following is a list of Marvel fans' December favorites and a few reasons why they were so high in demand at the close of 2022. 

1. Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
2. Thor: Love and Thunder
3. Avengers: Endgame
4. Deadpool
5. Avengers: Infinity War
6. Eternals

parrots1_1.jpg

Edited by tv echo

Avengers 5 Writer Reveals How MCU Phase 5 Could Outdo Phase 4
By Russ Milheim   February 3, 2023
https://thedirect.com/article/avengers-5-mcu-phase-5-outdo 

In an interview with SFX Magazine, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania and Avengers: The Kang Dynasty scribe Jeff Loveness spoke on how Marvel Studios' upcoming Phase 5 could outdo what Phase 4 has done.
“Phase Four was almost this period of rebuilding, the calm after the storm of what happened in 'Endgame'... Now it’s almost a time of relative peace. But just talking for myself here, there’s maybe this feeling in the world today… it’s like elections are crumbling around the world, we’re not doing enough on climate change, World War III could break out any minute."

That foreboding sense of tension will be key in defining Phase 5 as it ramps up to 2025's The Kang Dynasty:

"Things are relatively okay right now but we all feel like it could go real bad, real fast, a hundred different ways. And we’re all kind of paralyzed by that because we have the feeling that maybe we’re not ready for it."
“I think we’re setting things up for a pretty dynamic story. As I’m building to Avengers I want it to feel like a generational struggle. Phase Four felt like the birth of new characters. You’re giving everyone a little bit of a breath, you’re broadening out the universe, you have fun Disney+ shows that are elevating characters. And now I think it’s time to put the pedal to the gas again, and really take all these new characters that we like and throw them into the fire.”

Edited by tv echo

Marvel's 'Fantastic Four' Movie Starts Filming Early Next Year, Says Director Matt Shakman
BY RYAN O'ROURKE     FEBRUARY 7, 2023
https://collider.com/fantastic-four-movie-filming-2024-matt-shakman-mcu/

It will be a while before fans see Marvel's highly-anticipated iteration of the Fantastic Four, especially after it was delayed all the way to Valentine's Day 2025, but director Matt Shakman was able to give some insight as to when filming starts. Speaking with Collider's own Steve Weintraub for his new Prime Video series The Consultant, the WandaVision helmer revealed that filming on the project kicks off “early next year” and that it'll be his priority going forward.
With Fantastic Four so far out, Shakman was also able to quash any casting rumors that have been floating around about the film. There's been no end to speculation, particularly surrounding the role of Mr. Fantastic which John Krasinski most recently occupied in Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. Krasinski has said that the role was merely a chance to play in the Marvel sandbox for a day and nothing more, leaving the door potentially wide open for a new star. Shakman, for his part, had nothing for fans yet this early in the production. "All the casting stuff you see is just rumors," he added. "We are early in our process there. We have nothing to announce right now, and certainly, when we do we'll let you know."

Edited by tv echo

Harrison Ford: “I Know Who the F*** I Am”
BY JAMES HIBBERD     FEBRUARY 8, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/harrison-ford-interview-shrinking-indy-5-1923-1235318736/

What made you want to take the Marvel role [as Thunderbolt Ross, previously played by the late William Hurt]?

I don’t know. I can’t explain myself to myself, I just work here. (Laughs.) I thought, “Everybody else seems to be having a great time.” I watch all these terrific actors having a good time [in Marvel movies]. I like doing something different to what I’ve ever done and pleasing people with it. So I’ll try a piece of that.

Edited by tv echo