Type keyword(s) to search

The Marvel Cinematic Universe: The Avengers, etc.

vb68
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I wish I could say I was surprised.

If you don’t have respect for the original source material, you shouldn’t be doing these movies at all.

Finally someone who sees my point of view.  All the writers don't have to be fans, but there should be some fans around that can give their input.  This seems to be par for the course for Disney, as I hear they've offended a lot of the old Star Wars fans as well.  The people who kept the flame alive get left out in the cold.  It's like if you want to make a Wheel of Time adaptation, but you don't want anyone involved who has read the Wheel of Time books.   

• Love 1

I somewhat disagree with Tarantino there. I'm more interested in a good story than who's doing the telling. Yeah, there are some people whose movies I don't go and see because they're problematic, crap, or both. But on the whole, I'm happy with whoever is on screen.

34 minutes ago, rmontro said:

In the early phases of the MCU that's what I felt I was getting, but it's very clear to me at least that they care less and less about the real comics fans as time goes on.

That's only natural.  The more successful and more popular something becomes, the more it should evolve beyond how it started.  It makes sense that as the film series grows it would become less and less targeted towards fans of the original material, and instead aim for a wider and wider audience.  That's both good storytelling and good business.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

If you don’t have respect for the original source material, you shouldn’t be doing these movies at all.

True but everyone’s opinion of what should be respected is going to be different. Some fans what a more faithful adaptation and they’re not wrong. Others want more flexibility and they’re also not wrong. Marvel has to pick the directions they think will have the widest appeal. That means it will go in a direction that will leave some fans behind and that really sucks. I’ve been there.

It’s the catch 22 of adapting source material. The fans that want it the most are going to struggle the most with inevitable changes. When an adaptation takes off beyond the hardcore fan base it’s more advantageous for TBTP to try and appeal to the newer fans. Especially since the hardcore fans can’t even decide on what is most important. 

6 hours ago, rmontro said:

All the writers don't have to be fans, but there should be some fans around that can give their input.

Feige is a huge fan as are a lot of other people involved in the making of all of the projects. 

7 hours ago, Ailianna said:

I think he's only saying he doesn't want people so slavishly committed to their own idea of how the comic character should be, and what the plots should be, that they can't recognize that different times and different media may not fit those old comic tropes. To people who just want their comic books live action, any variation is heresy. To people who are interested in the general idea of the characters and stories but willing to see if they can be improved, it's a benefit, not a problem.

I read it the same way but of course the headlines are going to latch onto Marvel not wanting fans writing. Even though there are so many interviews with people involved in all levels of the movies who are massive fans. 

I also suspect that there is a similar expectation of comic writers. 

6 hours ago, rmontro said:

Not to me.  I'm not an unreasonable person, I don't expect a 1:1 representation of the comics on film.  But I expect a reasonable adaptation.  In the early phases of the MCU that's what I felt I was getting, but it's very clear to me at least that they care less and less about the real comics fans as time goes on.

Except doesn't it matter who is behind the camera as well as in front of it? You can directly compare the quality of 2016's Suicide Squad to last year's The Suicide Squad, and IMO the former suffers greatly in comparison. Yes, that DC and not Marvel, but Margot Robbie aside the first movie is just not good.

I would add that you get a lot of gatekeeping from the "why isn't this more like the comics?" crowd. Not you personally, but in a general sense. Take Wilson Fisk, for instance. There was quite a bit of complaining once Hawkeye's show was finished that Kingpin didn't pancake Kate Bishop into the floor. Not enough that he wasn't even hitting her, just picking her up and throwing her after getting hit by a car and shot with an arrow, there were gripes that he was Nerfed because he didn't beat her to death, I guess.

Because the non-powered characters wouldn't stand much of a chance even in the source material if it was a 'realistic' adaptation. Hand to hand skills and peak weapons training are well and good, but if you're going up against an army or even one guy with a weaponized suit or a metal arm, the deck has to be carefully arranged so you don't get killed in the first two minutes. I guess what I'm asking is, where is the line drawn between 'faithful' and 'realistic'? There's already discussion of whether or not the team in Thunderbolts should be additionally enhanced, since only Ghost has abilities a normal human wouldn't. Bucky Barnes and John Walker may have taken the super serum, but they're both still able to be injured, badly hurt. Once you've seen a warship taken down by one person (hi, Carol) it becomes painfully clear that very few people in the franchise have that kind of power.

I would further add that some of the source material would simply not fly in today's climate. The recent discussion about Sabra, for example, and the comparisons between her and Wenwu and M'Baku. Some things do have to be changed to suit modern audiences, because we're a lot more sensitive now, not always in bad ways. So it won't make everyone happy, but nothing ever does.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I would add that you get a lot of gatekeeping from the "why isn't this more like the comics?" crowd. Not you personally, but in a general sense. 

I don't think I'm asking for anything crazy.  Just something more in line with Phase One than Phase Four.  I, as a big Marvel fan, and especially the Stan Lee era, felt served by the early MCU movies.  The more recent ones I feel less served by.  Is it a coincidence that they've moved further away from the comics since Stan Lee's death?  As I said, I'm not unreasonable, I am aware movies are not comics.  That said, I think the original fan base should feel served.  And I have always thought that the best movies are the ones that are closest to the source material, and I don't believe that is a coincidence.

• Love 1

The problem is a lot of the changes the MCU made from the comics haven’t been for the better: watering down Moon Knight’s backstory from his father being a victim of a hate crime to abusive mom bullshit, fucking up Sharon Carter’s character, woobifying Zemo, Endgame Steve, fridging female heroes—I could go on and on.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 4

Counterpoint: I myself am an old school comics nerd from the mid 70s onward, and I'm largely happy with the way Marvel is adapting stories for the MCU. While I haven't been as thrilled with the quality in Phase 4 aside from No Way Home, some of that is natural in the wake of an epic multi-year story reaching its conclusion, and some is a matter of the projects branching out to suit a variety of tastes. If Thor: Love and Thunder and Ms. Marvel are targeted at people with sensibilities different from mine, well, it's not an outrage that not everything is aimed at me.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The problem is a lot of the changes the MCU made from the comics haven’t been for the better: watering down Moon Knight’s backstory from his father being a victim of a hate crime to abusive mom bullshit, fucking up Sharon Carter’s character, woobifying Zemo, Endgame Steve, fridging female heroes—I could go on and on.

I agree with you on some of those points and not on others. I hated Steve’s Endgame ending but lot of fans either loved it or were fine with it.

There are other changes that I loved and thought were absolutely necessary like the Mandarin that other people hated because it wasn’t comic accurate. I like Moon Knight’s backstory and wouldn’t call it abusive mom bullshit but agree that the original may have been a better choice in some aspects. I wonder though if it would it works as well as DID representation. I know they made changes specifically for that reason and the show as been well received in that aspect. 

14 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If Thor: Love and Thunder and Ms. Marvel are targeted at people with sensibilities different from mine, well, it's not an outrage that not everything is aimed at me.

This is the approach I try and take. I’ve enjoyed phase 4 to varying degrees. There were a few I absolutely loved, others that were just okay and some that were meh but I like that they were aiming projects at different groups.

Maybe that’s an easier approach for me because, while I really enjoyed phase 1 & 2, I wasn’t the target audience for any of them. I was for a tiny portion of phase 3 and for a good chunk of phase 4. I imagine it’s hard for audiences that are used to always being the target audience to not feel like they have lost something when other audiences are targeted.

But it’s also hard to not feel frustrated at the gatekeeping that I see happening all over the internet. Particularly because it is frequently directed at other longterm comic fans who have had to wedge themselves into the cracks for years. 

For the record, I loved Love and Thunder.

I just don’t like the MCU’s current habit of vilifying characters who were good and heroic in the comics or trying to make villain characters like Zemo and Val/Madam Hydra more like antiheroes. That’s what a lot of comic fans are upset about and why they’re infuriated that the MCU won’t let comic fans write the movies. 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

The problem is a lot of the changes the MCU made from the comics haven’t been for the better: watering down Moon Knight’s backstory from his father being a victim of a hate crime to abusive mom bullshit, fucking up Sharon Carter’s character, woobifying Zemo, Endgame Steve,

Well said.  If what they were doing was clearly superior to the comics, that would be one thing, but more often than not, it pales in comparison.  They have a rich history of stories that they can pick and choose from, all they have to do is hit the highlights.  But I guess filmmakers want to create their own thing.

• Love 1

The days of comic book adaptations being closely faithful to the source material are long over in my view.  They are on an entirely different path now.  I think that at this point it would probably be better for fans to just forget everything they know about the comics before watching the movies, and be prepared for something else completely.

Also, I'm all for keeping comics fans away from writing and directing the movies.  I think that a healthy lack of history with the source material is a better approach.

17 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I just don’t like the MCU’s current habit of vilifying characters who were good and heroic in the comics or trying to make villain characters like Zemo and Val/Madam Hydra more like antiheroes.

I would point out that for most of her history Val was a loyal member of SHIELD. Her being a villain was a fairly recent retcon, so I don't think it's a problem to have her be a goodish person in the MCU. Zemo on the other hand started out as a fairly one dimensional villain and started getting layers in Thunderbolts, so making him more of an anti-hero isn't too far from how he's portrayed in more recent comics.

Honestly, I look at the comics as a starting point, but things would be boring if nothing changed from the comics to the screen. So, I'm glad they're making some changes when adapting the source material.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
42 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Just finished watching, it’s hysterical. All hail Kevin Bacon!

It did not disappoint. Funny and sweet. I love Drax and Mantis together. The very brief Nebula and Rocket moment reminded me that I really want their time together as the only snap survivors to be explored. 

In case anyone else is looking here’s a link to the discussion of the holiday special. 

9 hours ago, Captain Carrot said:

Honestly, I look at the comics as a starting point, but things would be boring if nothing changed from the comics to the screen. So, I'm glad they're making some changes when adapting the source material

That is sort of where I am at. I mean has there ever been a comic movie that was super faithful to the original source material that was actually great? The only one that comes to mind is the original Richard Donner Superman. And when I think of super accurate comics adaptations my first thought is always Watchmen, which essentially used pages from the comic as storyboards. And while it looked good on screen it was basically pointless because it had nothing new to say. While by comparison I thought the Watchmen miniseries was awesome.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1

Watchmen might have copied the look of the comics, but it still managed to completely miss the point. There are other adaptations which are further away on the surface, but actually managed to capture the core of the story. 

• Love 2

The Watchmen comic was a limited series telling a single self-contained story over the course of a year by one writer/artist team.  Not an ongoing comic book series telling multiple stories throughout decades with a variety of different writers/artists, like most of the primary DC/Marvel characters.  I don't think it's really the best example to use in this case.

Edited by Tenshinhan
  • Like 1

The MCU has pretty much caught up to and passed the comics timeline. In the MCU we’re in a post Steve Rogers, post Iron Man, post Black Widow, post T’Challa universe and in the comics we never really lived there. They can remain in their primes forever. MCU has to create new material because all the low hanging fruit has been harvested. They make changes from the source material through necessity and choice. Most are good, some suck, but it’s to be expected. It’s not as if the cross section of the comics line are universally awesome at any point in time.

I just think there so much stuff it’s overload. I haven’t even made a dent into the series I feel positively about, let alone the ones I’d never cared about. There was not a nanosecond in which I cared about comics Moon Knight, for instance. I know it’s about profitability, but I would have made the case for maintaining the previous phase’s pace rather than ramping it up. 

Edit: To be consistent, it's my complaint about all of the various companies milking IP out of their cash cows. I love the source material for Marvel, like Star Trek, and am OK with Star Wars. But now there are 6-10 ongoing concerns for each of them which results in my following almost none of them.

Edited by Fukui San
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, I never thought I’d type these words, but after the holiday special, I’ve finally forgiven Peter Quill for his screw-up in Infinity War. 

Although can we just make Mantis the star of Volume 3?  

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Well, I never thought I’d type these words, but after the holiday special, I’ve finally forgiven Peter Quill for his screw-up in Infinity War. 

Although I do wonder, now that we know what Mantis's full powers are, why did she try and make Thanos go to sleep instead of putting her hands on him and telling him to give up the gauntlet.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Although I do wonder, now that we know what Mantis's full powers are, why did she try and make Thanos go to sleep instead of putting her hands on him and telling him to give up the gauntlet.

When the Drax Mantis duo started with the Beverly Hills Cops I  just flashed to Deadpool 2 when he made that crack about aliens, just on account of being alien are so much tougher than humans. 

Spoiler

Then his alien ally fell into power lines and was electrocuted to death

Of course in Thor Ragnarok mere bullets weren't expected do anything to Asgardians. But when an Asgardian pulled the trigger it worked just like bullets do on humans.

11 hours ago, starri said:

Although can we just make Mantis the star of Volume 3?  

Fair warning: If James Gunn gave us all that great stuff with Mantis in the holiday special only to kill her off in Volume 3, we are gonna have problems.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2

Now, now. He's not Sam Raimi. If Gunn can perform the miraculous feat of getting us to forgive Peter Quill, I'd mark Mantis as safe.

Granted. Gunn, I trust. But K.E.V.I.N., not so much.

Edited by Spartan Girl

Now, now. He's not Sam Raimi. If Gunn can perform the miraculous feat of getting us to forgive Peter Quill, I'd mark Mantis as safe.

I always thought reaction to Peter's mistake in IW was way overblown. I mean it was stupid, but it was totally in character. Lots of other people made big mistakes that were totally out of character. Like Cap is supposed to be a brilliant battlefield commander, but his big plan in Wakanda is to run at the bad guys head on and punch them. Where was the tactical planning like he did in Avengers. T'challa had access to the Wakandan air force and the combat rhinos that we saw in Black Panther, but he decides to what keep them back for the next alien invasion. Even Doctor Strange decides to fight Thanos on Titan rather than use the portal ring to get them and the time stone out of there (either to hide or to gather stronger forces). Hell he could have even used a closing portal like Wong did and chopped Thanos's head off.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I always thought reaction to Peter's mistake in IW was way overblown. I mean it was stupid, but it was totally in character.

I agree it was in character which is exactly why I have a problem with it. It was in character for him so it reflects more on him as a character. The only reason Quill’s decision didn’t get any of them permanently killed before the snap is that they all had plot armor at that point. He let his need for one completely ineffectual punch jeopardize his entire team. Which is also something he has gotten pissed at Drax for doing. 

2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Lots of other people made big mistakes that were totally out of character. Like Cap is supposed to be a brilliant battlefield commander, but his big plan in Wakanda is to run at the bad guys head on and punch them. Where was the tactical planning like he did in Avengers. T'challa had access to the Wakandan air force and the combat rhinos that we saw in Black Panther, but he decides to what keep them back for the next alien invasion. Even Doctor Strange decides to fight Thanos on Titan rather than use the portal ring to get them and the time stone out of there (either to hide or to gather stronger forces). Hell he could have even used a closing portal like Wong did and chopped Thanos's head off.

To me those are just bad writing or plot necessitated stupidity so they don’t really impact my opinion of the character very much. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

To me those are just bad writing or plot necessitated stupidity so they don’t really impact my opinion of the character very much. 

Some bad writing/plot necessitated stupidity is more forgivable than others. Peter’s was at least in character. And seeing as how he didn’t get his Gamora back, and he’s been called out on being a moron multiple times, I feel like he’s been punished enough.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I always thought reaction to Peter's mistake in IW was way overblown. I mean it was stupid, but it was totally in character.

I think what exacerbated the reaction is not just that it was dumb, but that Peter's fratboy tendencies got dialed up to eleven, particularly when it involved Thor. I guess that's also in character, that he would feel intimidated by the guy who drops out of space and onto his windshield, and then everyone decides that he's terrific - "It's like an angel and a pirate made a baby." But at that point Thor had just watched his brother be murdered, survived the explosion of his ship, and was drifting through empty space. It was hardly the time for Quill to suddenly regress to being a high schooler, because while he does tend towards Jerk, he's also a good man with a solid heart. Then he punched Thanos in the head and in short order half the universe turned to dust. "Oh, man. Did we just lose?" It's meme material that never dies.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
26 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

Some bad writing/plot necessitated stupidity is more forgivable than others. Peter’s was at least in character.

Sure but I am saying I don’t consider it bad writing or plot necessitated stupidity. It was Peter being Peter which, to me, makes it something to judge the character on while I try not to judge characters being stupid in a way that is out of character. 

26 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

And seeing as how he didn’t get his Gamora back, and he’s been called out on being a moron multiple times, I feel like he’s been punished enough.

Personally whether or not he has been punished enough doesn’t really matter. I don’t really care that he did it and wasn’t upset with the character over his actions or blame him for Thanos winning in Infinity War. I haven’t particularly liked Peter’s personality and what happening with Thanos was just another example of that. I still think he is a good character and his reasons for being like is he is been well explained and he is growing which I like. 

6 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I think what exacerbated the reaction is not just that it was dumb, but that Peter's fratboy tendencies got dialed up to eleven, particularly when it involved Thor. I guess that's also in character, that he would feel intimidated by the guy who drops out of space and onto his windshield, and then everyone decides that he's terrific - "It's like an angel and a pirate made a baby." But at that point Thor had just watched his brother be murdered, survived the explosion of his ship, and was drifting through empty space. It was hardly the time for Quill to suddenly regress to being a high schooler, because while he does tend towards Jerk, he's also a good man with a solid heart. Then he punched Thanos in the head and in short order half the universe turned to dust. "Oh, man. Did we just lose?" It's meme material that never dies.

This ⬆️

38 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Agreed. But it’s not like he was the only character that got ruined by IW/Endgame.

6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I always thought reaction to Peter's mistake in IW was way overblown. I mean it was stupid, but it was totally in character. Lots of other people made big mistakes that were totally out of character. Like Cap is supposed to be a brilliant battlefield commander, but his big plan in Wakanda is to run at the bad guys head on and punch them. Where was the tactical planning like he did in Avengers. T'challa had access to the Wakandan air force and the combat rhinos that we saw in Black Panther, but he decides to what keep them back for the next alien invasion. Even Doctor Strange decides to fight Thanos on Titan rather than use the portal ring to get them and the time stone out of there (either to hide or to gather stronger forces). Hell he could have even used a closing portal like Wong did and chopped Thanos's head off.

After Infinity War military bloggers got all over WWII veteran Captain Rogers and gave somewhat a pass to King T'Challa because Wakanda had hide behind its technological magic and had no reason to develop beyond ritualistic combat and a champion protector to a professional military. That the soldiers and airmen, Bucky, Sam and War Machine's conventional bullets and bombs worked suggested that if the Netflix heroes were invited in Luke Cages' Marine Corps experience should have been more valuable to the fight than his hero super strength ability.

If I remember correctly Infinity War's battle was done before Coogler's Black Panther and Captain Marvel. and Disney script security left the Russo brothers in the dark about the war rhinos.  And even if they did the way people react to killing animal characters/extras they wouldn't want the carnage of dead trained earth animals on the butchers bill.  However if we watched rhino's being blipped it would have answered that question that was speculated about until we heard the birds chirping after the Hulk's snap.

4 hours ago, Raja said:

However if we watched rhino's being blipped it would have answered that question that was speculated about until we heard the birds chirping after the Hulk's snap.

I don't have time to rewatch right now, but I remember that there were Wakandan soldiers turning to ash, that M'Baku was looking around in horror while people faded into oblivion, but I can't recall if any of the heavily armored rhinos also vanished. Since they made the effort to give his reaction, the animals must have been unaffected, or at least the ones that would have been close enough for him to see.

19 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I don't have time to rewatch right now, but I remember that there were Wakandan soldiers turning to ash, that M'Baku was looking around in horror while people faded into oblivion, but I can't recall if any of the heavily armored rhinos also vanished. Since they made the effort to give his reaction, the animals must have been unaffected, or at least the ones that would have been close enough for him to see.

There were no Wakandan war rhinos on the Infinity War battlefield. Just their army, the Dora Milaje royal guard, M'Baku's tribesmen and the Avengers. Some kind of hover sleds served as personnel carriers to bring the troops up but their distinctive aircraft used in both Black Panthers and Avengers Endgame also did not show in that battle. Probably so Falcon and War Machine would be seen offering all of the air support.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Raja said:

If I remember correctly Infinity War's battle was done before Coogler's Black Panther and Captain Marvel. and Disney script security left the Russo brothers in the dark about the war rhinos

Black Panther was released before Infinity War, but I think you're saying that when the work on IW was being done, it was pre-BP release and they didn't allow the scripts/directors to cross-pollinate.I get the script secrecy, but that does seem like sometimes it makes for weird gaps in the story.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Raja said:

If I remember correctly Infinity War's battle was done before Coogler's Black Panther and Captain Marvel. and Disney script security left the Russo brothers in the dark about the war rhinos. 

Infinity War and Black Panther filmed simultaneously in Atlanta. Because Wakanda featured so heavily in both movies the production teams worked closely together. It’s unlikely the Russos didn’t know about the war rhinos. How the Teams Behind Black Panther and Infinity War Worked Together to Create a Unified Wakanda

Who knows if they had a reason for not including them but it works in the story. The rhinos are trained by the border tribe who fought against T’Challa. Infinity War had that scene were Okoye says that “those that are left” of the border tribe had been alerted. 

From schedule for CCXP22 (São Paulo, Brazil) - includes Marvel presentation...

DISNEY'S MAGICAL WORLD AT CCXP22
WHERE: 01/DEC (THURSDAY)
TIME: 16H30 - 19H50
With its engines running hot to celebrate its 100th anniversary, Disney is coming to CCXP with everything and more. In a panel full of surprises and news, fans of Pixar, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Avatar and Marvel will laugh, cry and freak out in more than three hours of show!

GUESTS: Kevin Feige, Peyton Reed, Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Jonathan Majors, Jon Landau, Zoë Saldaña, DENISE REAM, Jon Favreau (REMOTELY), DAVE FILONI (remotely).

Edited by tv echo

Kevin Feige and the Marvel panel at CCXP22 (São Paulo, Brazil) yesterday...

Marvel news: Every announcement from the Marvel CCXP panel
by Cody Schultz    Dec 2, 2022
https://bamsmackpow.com/2022/12/01/marvel-news-every-marvel-ccxp-panel-announcement/ 

... Here is a look at the news revealed during the Marvel CCXP panel.

• Zoe Saldana joined Kevin Feige on stage to introduce the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  • Marvel Studios debuted the first official poster for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
  • Evangeline Lilly, Paul Rudd, and Jonathan Majors dropped by to promote Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. 
  • Marvel Studios debuted a new special look at Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 official trailer (CCXP)

During the Marvel Studios panel at CCXP22 (Comic-Con Experience 2022) in São Paulo, Brazil, Marvel Studios debuted the trailer for Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, releasing in U.S. theaters on May 5, 2023. Per Marvel:

In Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 our beloved band of misfits are looking a bit different these days. Peter Quill, still reeling from the loss of Gamora, must rally his team around him to defend the universe along with protecting one of their own. A mission that, if not completed successfully, could quite possibly lead to the end of the Guardians as we know them.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania teaser (CCXP)

While many expected Marvel Studios to drop a new trailer for Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania during its appearance at CCXP, the studio instead debuted a new retrospective that explored Ant-Man and the Wasp’s journey leading up to the events of the upcoming third film in the Ant-Man franchise.

In the new Legacy of Ant-Man special, Marvel pieces together footage from Ant-Man, Captain America: Civil War, Ant-Man and The Wasp, and Avengers: Endgame while offering up a few glimpses of the upcoming film.

Kevin Feige Jokes About James Gunn Leaving Marvel for DC
By Klein Felt    Dec 1, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/kevin-feige-james-gunn-marvel-dc 

Appearing at Brazilian comic-con CCXP, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige cracked a joke with interviewers when talking about Guardians of the Galaxy director James Gunn. 
“James Gunn just released The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special. He’s finishing his Guardians of the Galaxy trilogy, and then he has some work to do somewhere else, I don’t know where he’s going.”

Edited by tv echo

Marvel Studios Reveals the 2 Traits New Directors Need to Get Hired In the MCU
By Richard Nebens    December 5, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-studios-directors-mcu-hired 

During an appearance on The Town with Matthew Belloni, Marvel Studios Vice President of Production & Development Nate Moore spoke about what the studio looks for when choosing its new directors.

Belloni looked back to Marvel's "unprecedented run with filmmakers who are not conventional choices" for those movies, specifically touching on Jon Favreau's work on the original Iron Man movie while also mentioning Taika Waititi (Thor: Ragnarok) and James Gunn.
“I think the things we look for, there are two things, I think, and in my experience this has been true. We look for filmmakers who have at least done something exceptional once, right? Because making a movie’s hard and sometimes a movie that someone is really invested in doesn’t come together for a lot of reasons that are in their control or out of their control. But, have they shown excellence? And are they passionate about making the movie that we want to make? 
"And that sounds pretty simple, but I’ll give you the example of Joe and Anthony Russo. So we were making Winter Soldier, we had a draft from Markus & McFeely, we were really excited about it. This was, again, this was ten years ago…”
"… Because, I am a fan of Welcome to Collingwood and I loved Community. And Kevin [Feige] loved Arrested Development. So even though their last movie wasn’t a big hit, it was called You, Me and Dupree, and it sort of didn’t connect in the way they wanted it to, we had a general meeting with them and we really liked them. And Joe said in that meeting, ‘Hey, I know you think we’re comedy directors, because we’ve been in TV comedy for certainly a long time, we’ve always wanted to do a political-thriller. I love political thrillers.’ ‘Oh, you do, Joe? That’s interesting.’ He’s like, ‘Yeah.’"
"And we said, ‘What would you do if you were doing a Captain America movie set today…’ And he and Anthony sort of described a version of the movie we were already developing. Now certainly, the details weren’t the same, but their point of view on the character… and the tone was exactly what we wanted to achieve. And so even, they didn’t have anything in their filmic resume that said, ‘Hey, they should do Winter Soldier,’ we were like, ‘Yeah, but they’ve done something great.’"
"I think Community is great, Kevin thinks Arrested Development is fantastic, let’s just try to see if we can help them move over. And they also really wanted to do the movie, because filmmaking is hard and we are hard on filmmakers, because we’re always trying to make the movie as good as we can. And the filmmakers that are dying to do the movie are the ones who tend to have the stamina to get through kind of the ‘Dark Night of the Soul’ moment where everything’s going wrong, or everything’s over budget, or what we wanted to do isn’t working out, and they were always willing to roll with the punches, because they wanted to make the movie."

Great response by RDJ to directors' criticisms of the MCU movies...

Robert Downey Jr. On The Father-Son Journey In ‘Sr.,’ Netflix Docu On His Filmmaker Dad
By Mike Fleming Jr     December 5, 2022
https://deadline.com/2022/12/robert-downey-jr-documentary-sr-robert-downey-sr-iron-man-putney-swope-1235189785/ 

DEADLINE: This superhero model you, Favreau and Feige ushered in, the films get bashed by some directors. Just recently, Quentin Tarantino implied that the characters are stars, not the actors playing them. After all that Tony Stark meant to you personally and the MCU, and how that success spread to actors including Chadwick Boseman, can you give a perspective that belies a genre being used as a bit of a punching bag by famous filmmakers? I don’t exactly know where I’m going, but I think you get it.
RDJ
: I think I do. I think our opinions on these matters say a lot about us. I think that we are in a time and place that I unwittingly contributed to, where IP has taken precedence over principle and personality. But it’s a double-edged sword. A piece of IP is only as good as the human talent you get to represent it, and you can have some great IP even if it’s coming from an auteur or a national treasure of a writer-director, and if you don’t have the right kind of artist playing that role, you’ll never know how good it could have been.

I think that creatively it is a waste of time to be at war with ourselves. I think this is a time when everything is so much more fragmented now that I think you have this kind of bifurcation. Throwing stones one way or another … and I’ve had my reactions in the past when people said things that I felt were discrediting my integrity … I go, “You know what? Let’s just get over it. We’re all a community. There’s enough room for everything,” and thank God for Top Gun: Maverick and Avatar: The Way of Water. That’s all I have to say. We need the big stuff to make room for films like Armageddon Time.

I’m not talking about trickle-down entertainment. I’m just saying that things are always changing and I’m at a place in my life where I’ve now gone back to back, working with Chris Nolan on what was an exceptionally transformational experience for me; having been in pre-production post and bringing Sr. to market; and the next thing I’m doing is a series with my Mrs. and the director Park Chan-Wook, based on a Pulitzer book called The Sympathizer. It’s already a transformative, literally playing five different roles experience for me. So, I would just say, before we cast aspersions on each other — undergo your own renaissance and see if it doesn’t change your mind a little bit.

Reinvent yourself before you decide that somebody else doesn’t know what they’re doing or that something is keeping you from doing your best, or that something is better than something else. You know, we’re in this age now where Favreau said it best: We used to try to make waves in a lake, and now we’re just trying to catch people’s attention as things are moving by quickly in a stream. I think that’ll change again, but this is just where we’re at. And to accept it and be grateful that you get to participate is the right place to start.

• Applause 5
  • Love 6

Includes the following MCU execs and stars...

The Hollywood Reporter’s 2022 Women in Entertainment Power 100
BY MIKEY O'CONNELL, EDITOR      DECEMBER 7, 2022 
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lists/the-hollywood-reporters-2022-women-in-entertainment-power-100/ 

Victoria Alonso
President of Production, Marvel Studios

Spanning physical and postproduction, visual effects and animation, Alonso’s purview reflects the complexities of marrying consistent box office juggernauts with a growing slate of series. She proved key in making sure that Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Thor: Love and Thunder, Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk met tight deadlines in 2022 — not to mention fourth-quarter box office champ Black Panther: Wakanda Forever.
Angela Bassett
Actor, Producer

For her reprisal performance as Queen Ramonda in Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, Bassett is garnering serious Oscar buzz — a feat that would be a first for a Marvel film actor. No stranger to firsts, the star and EP of Fox’s 9-1-1 (who rakes in $450,000 per episode) is among the highest-paid performers in TV history.
Cate Blanchett
Actor, Producer

Yet again in the awards conversation, Blanchett is all but guaranteed her eighth Oscar nomination for her work in Tár. Todd Field’s acclaimed feature about an embattled composer also has many betting Blanchett will take her third win. Either way, she’ll next produce Christos Nikou’s Fingernails and appear in Alfonso Cuarón series Disclaimer and Eli Roth’s Borderlands.
Olivia Colman
Actor

In 2022, the versatile Oscar winner scored her third nomination (for The Lost Daughter) and may see a fourth for Sam Mendes’ Empire of Light. But Colman, of Fleabag and Peep Show fame, has not turned her back on TV. She made an appearance on Netflix series Heartstopper and next makes her Marvel debut in the Disney+ entry Secret Invasion alongside Samuel L. Jackson.
Florence Pugh
Actor

Now one of Hollywood’s most sought-after actresses, Pugh spent the past half-decade moving from indie upstart (Lady Macbeth, Midsommar) to franchise frontwoman (Marvel’s The Thunderbolts and Dune: Part Two are both on deck). Already an Oscar nominee with Little Women, Pugh this year led her first major-studio starring vehicle with Don’t Worry Darling, navigating the subsequent assailing press cycle with assurance and an aperol spritz in a steady hand.
Zoe Saldaña
Actor, Producer

Before lighting up screens with a CGI-rendered performance in inevitable blockbuster Avatar: The Way of Water, Saldaña had a year full of producing wins for her Cinestar shingle. HBO Max may have canceled Gordita Chronicles, but the series wooed critics and inspired further debate about Hollywood’s mishandling of Latino representation. Follow-up From Scratch, in which she also starred, premiered atop Netflix streaming charts in October.
Michelle Yeoh
Actor

Yeoh is on a booking spree after racking up honors (Telluride, Toronto, AFI) for her work in Everything Everywhere All at Once. The title could also describe the Oscar contender’s plate, which includes The Witcher prequel Blood Origin at Netflix and roles in franchises such as Transformers, Avatar and Agatha Christie entry A Haunting in Venice.
Zendaya
Actor, Producer

The Euphoria star, who began 2022 atop the box office in Spider-Man: No Way Home, made history this summer as the youngest person to win two acting Emmys and the first Black woman to win two Emmys in the best actress in a drama series category. Along with a third season of the HBO drama in the works, which she also produces, Zendaya is in production on Dune: Part Two and will star in Luca Guadagnino’s Challengers.

Edited by tv echo

Chris Hemsworth received the AACTA Trailblazer Award* during a Dec. 7th ceremony in Sydney, AU (video below includes tributes from Russell Crowe, Natalie Portman, Tom Hiddleston and George Miller) - CH said that his portrayal of Thor was inspired by Russell Crowe's performance in Gladiator.

Russell Crowe Presents Chris Hemsworth with the 2022 AACTA Trailblazer Award
AACTA    posted 1 day ago

(* The ACCTA Trailblazer Award is awarded by the Australian Academy of Cinema and Television Arts to an Australian "whose artistic impact around the world has pushed the art form and our industry to new levels.")

Edited by tv echo