Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, marmalade said:

She’s annoying even when not talking !

Amen to that!!! Especially, since the camera    Is.    Always.    On.     Her.  Whoever came up with this idea should be fired.

• Love 11
14 hours ago, marmalade said:

I don’t mind the gayness ,  but both Tom and Dennis screwed up big time and others went home in past weeks . 
The show is not about someone’s ability to tell a story , it’s supposed to be about baking .

14 hours ago, Cetacean said:

But what has that got to do with baking?  I have zero interest in anyone's life, I only want to watch how skilled they are at the craft.  Just shut up and bake.

13 hours ago, MerBearHou said:

Agree with this 1000%.  And I particularly am bothered when I feel like the ones with “life stories” that they’ve chosen to tell publicly are the ones getting preferred treatment by this irritating, borderline unwatchable head of show, Molly.  I will BET that Romy, Justin, Diego have their own interesting stories but they just want to bake.  

I want the personal lives and stories kept to a minimum.  What in the past I've enjoyed with competitions like this is to see skills and creativity.  The gimmicks, games and absolute idiocy that that childish twit brings to the show ruins it.  I missed the live showing this week and came here before watching and since one of my favorites was sent home, I don't need to watch it or in fact ever again.  I can find out who wins on here.  I will never watch anything with Molly again.  I'm afraid she will turn up on the other baking competitions...

11 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Oh G*d the sprinkles!!! If I never see any other sprinkles my life will be complete!! Is she10?? What adult wants sprinkles on everything???

Stupid beyond words.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, marmalade said:

It looks like we are not alone in our dislike for this mess this year !  The Spring Baking Championship hit a new low this week :

Monday Cable Ratings 4/11/22: #SpringBakingChampionship Hits New Low, 

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2022/04/monday-cable-ratings-41122-spring.html?m=1

Maybe FN will move Molly the twit off of this show and save it ! Hopefully Lorraine and a new host will come back! 

I am actually glad to see the crap that Molly and FN are doing affecting the ratings of this show !  
I couldn’t even watch . I saw who was eliminated on Twitter and that they had a tomato soup and sauerkraut ingredients with that tacky technique, so I just didn’t bother !

If they want iMolly to have a show features gross , tacky “baking” ideas from her  potlucks , they should create a new show and not ruin a show that exists !

They also should not subject very good professional bakers to Molly’s annoying personality!  They should just pick camera hungry people who have  stories and challenge them to make desserts with sprinkles and  any childish idea that  Molly dreams up ! 
Looks like Jaleesa, Tom and Dennis are the three Molly Pets because they are “ friends “ of hers , even though all of them have screwed up badly !

The judges also annoy me ! Why is it that Tom can decorate like crap two weeks in a row but he stays, and from what I read , Diego who has consistently has done great work and still had a good tasting cake was eliminated ?

Why does taste make them excuse crappy work for Molly’s playmates and  not the others? Plus it sure seems like she is adding her opinions to the  judging.  Anyone who gets excited about cookie salad and popcorn salad should not have a say in which professional bakers stays or goes !

No amount of Duff insulting posters who say Molly is unwatchable is going to make people like this show  , just because they pretend they agree with Duff to get his attention on Twitter or to make sure he doesn’t insult them   !

Speaking of Twitter, Tom is In all the time and so is Jaleesa , so I am sure they are in the finale , and honestly , both should have been because of crappy baking by now !

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, marmalade said:

It looks like we are not alone in our dislike for this mess this year !  The Spring Baking Championship hit a new low this week :

Monday Cable Ratings 4/11/22: #SpringBakingChampionship Hits New Low, 

http://www.thetvratingsguide.com/2022/04/monday-cable-ratings-41122-spring.html?m=1

Maybe FN will move Molly the twit off of this show and save it ! Hopefully Lorraine and a new host will come back! 

Good! And I bet it is even lower next week. I am not going to watch the finale. I rather come one here and see what you all have to say. 

I am looking forward to the Julia Child finale as I like all three cooks! 

• Love 11
23 hours ago, Catfi9ht said:

This is my biggest problem with this show. We've gotten crappy ingredients before like the infamous green apple and coffee, but this country-crafty, post-depression era baking style is the anthesis of what this show used to be.

No wonder the really refined, professional bakers are struggling. This show has taken a U turn to Saturday mornings on FN.

Exactly. If I want to see this sort of shite cooking, I can watch the Pioneer Woman or reruns of Sandra Lee. The show used to be so much better than this. I want to see pros do their best work, not cookie salads and cutesy bullshit about tractors and chickens.

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

Exactly. If I want to see this sort of shite cooking, I can watch the Pioneer Woman or reruns of Sandra Lee. The show used to be so much better than this. I want to see pros do their best work, not cookie salads and cutesy bullshit about tractors and chickens.

And cats. Don't forget the cats!!!!! 😁

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, jcbrown said:

That is what they need to make, Sandra Lee's Kwanzaa cake! 

• LOL 15
  • Love 1

Well there must be a big audience of people out there who appreciate cooking shows for people who don't really want to cook or learn anything useful because that's the direction FN has been going for years.

I'm not going to bother piling on the Molly hate train but I do find it strange that so many of the challenges have been catered so specifically towards her.  I mean, Nancy's show was Farmhouse something-or-other so you could just as easily relate it to her life but it's all Molly.  I don't know why FN chose to go in this direction but I'm still watching (or hate-watching) and maybe rolling my eyes a little more than usual but -shrug-

• Love 9
1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

All networks strive for the younger demographics, which Molly is and Nancy isn't.  Unfortunately IMO they picked wrong in this particular circumstance.

Surely, there is someone young they could have picked who isn't an annoying twit. Then again, if they really want to make a legacy on FN with her, they will get her on everything they can. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, RoxiP said:

All networks strive for the younger demographics, which Molly is and Nancy isn't.  Unfortunately IMO they picked wrong in this particular circumstance.

Other than her age, what has she got that would be such a magnet for the younger demographic?  All I can see is that she would appeal to the twit demographic.

It's ridiculous to target the young demographic.  Other ages spend money too!

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, Suzn said:

Other than her age, what has she got that would be such a magnet for the younger demographic?  All I can see is that she would appeal to the twit demographic.

It's ridiculous to target the young demographic.  Other ages spend money too!

They are probably trying to appeal to the TikTok generation with trendy and kitschy desserts. I don't think they realize most of the "younger" generation aren't glued to the FN. My son is 28 and doesn't even turn on his TV unless it is for a video game. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Suzn said:

All I can see is that she would appeal to the twit demographic.

LOL  She might appeal to a demographic that is too young to have their own money to spend - kids who looooove sprinkles.

I think the fact that the show's ratings have tanked may save this show in the long run.  Whoever OKd the Molly version of the show is responsible to the owners (Discovery) who are a lot more interested in their profit margin than they are in one individual and/or sprinkles.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

They can give Molly a show titled “Molly’s Trailerpark.”

Don't be dissing people who live in trailerparks (I am one of those people!).  

• Love 13

Looks like Tom is probably in the finale . He did a Q&A where he answered questions and Duff even commented . So , in spite of horrible decorating it looks like he’s being promoted as a FN personality ! 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, orangekit said:

Looks like Tom is probably in the finale . He did a Q&A where he answered questions and Duff even commented . So , in spite of horrible decorating it looks like he’s being promoted as a FN personality ! 

Ugh! Might as well say goodbye to Justin and Romy. 

Not only am I bowing out for the finale, I'm bowing out for next year if this is the way it is going to be. I will keep an eye out on the other baking championships. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, orangekit said:

Of course he is--he's 'fun' and a FOM (Friend Of Molly).  

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Cheyanne11 said:

Of course he is--he's 'fun' and a FOM (Friend Of Molly).  

The thing is Tom isn't a bad baker, he isn't a great decorator, but he can bake. He just isn't at the level of who I think should win something like this. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

The thing is Tom isn't a bad baker, he isn't a great decorator, but he can bake.

That's true and it's why I don't dislike Tom even if he is campy.  I'm not sure why he applied to be on a show where decorating is important but maybe he thought his baking would pull him through or maybe the possibility of a nice prize and bragging rights was motivation enough.  I don't even blame him much for sucking up to Molly.  He's playing the game.  That said, I think Romy and Justin are more worthy  and I hope Romy wins.  

• Love 14
14 minutes ago, mlp said:

That's true and it's why I don't dislike Tom even if he is campy.  I'm not sure why he applied to be on a show where decorating is important but maybe he thought his baking would pull him through or maybe the possibility of a nice prize and bragging rights was motivation enough.  I don't even blame him much for sucking up to Molly.  He's playing the game.  That said, I think Romy and Justin are more worthy  and I hope Romy wins.  

Yes, he is playing the game but it is a shame there has to be one. 

• Love 15
2 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

The thing is Tom isn't a bad baker, he isn't a great decorator, but he can bake. He just isn't at the level of who I think should win something like this. 

Diego baked a cake that tasted good in spite of crappy tomato soup , but got kicked off for decorating .

Tom screwed up decorating twice and when Duff dared mention it , Molly got a pouty faced and said how good his crap looking stuff tasted !

I do think Molly is definitely involved in the judging . She actually said “the judges and I thought ….” when giving results . It definitely is her crappy show now and she can’t shut her big mouth !

Even when not speaking she is so irritating with her expressions as she tastes the food ! Her eyeballs literally are crossed with excitement and she moves her big mouth around stuffed with cake ! 

Edited by orangekit
  • LOL 1
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, mlp said:

I dislike a kiss up and I think he’s a fake with his over the top personality! Can’t stand him! I like Dennis, the other Molly pet , because he seems like he’s not a fake or kiss up, but he should have been eliminated and was saved because of his reveal . 
This show should be called Molly’s by Play Pen !

• Love 4
1 minute ago, orangekit said:

I dislike a kiss up and I think he’s a fake with his over the top personality! Can’t stand him! I like Dennis, the other Molly pet , because he seems like he’s not a fake or kiss up, but he should have been eliminated and was saved because of his reveal . 
This show should be called Molly’s by Play Pen !

I give Dennis credit though, he didn't seem to be impressed with the big secret he got from winning, sprinkles. He was probably like, sprinkles? I'm going through all of this trying to win and that is my big advantage? And then didnt' he just end up using coconut at the last minute. 

• Love 5
On 4/14/2022 at 1:14 PM, RoxiP said:

I remember Doris Roberts made a comment about this phenomenon at one time. She stated they want young audiences but we are the generation that has the money to buy the products they advertise. Now that is the truth.

5 hours ago, mlp said:

and I hope Romy wins.  

He won’t.  He should, but he won’t.

• Love 7
7 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I give Dennis credit though, he didn't seem to be impressed with the big secret he got from winning, sprinkles. He was probably like, sprinkles? I'm going through all of this trying to win and that is my big advantage? And then didnt' he just end up using coconut at the last minute. 

Dennis also got screwed out of an advantage when it was given to the last place person. 

• Love 7

I'm behind on watching, so forgive the late rant about the Easter series:
1) Kathleen -- FFS macarons are not macaroons! I know this was discussed earlier, but it is  bugging the crap out of me. I can't believe the judges didn't say "these aren't macaroons". 

2) The words are REAListic and REALly, not RILLIstic and RILLy.  I don't even know what accent or dialect that is.  

3) Potatoes au gratin is not the same things as scallopped potatoes - one has cheese, one doesn't.    My opinion - Brittany didn't make the dish she was assigned. 

4) I have never seen green bean casserole with carrots, peas, onions, chives, croutons or parm cheese in it. Is that a regional thing? Not sure this met the assigned dish either, but could be regional differences. 

Overall - the food imposters looked pretty amazing. 

On to the final episode. 

• Love 2
On 3/30/2022 at 10:27 AM, dleighg said:

a preschool teacher who over-emotes CONSTANTLY with that ridiculous smile on her face. "I'm so PROUD of you!!!!!!"  That's SO SMART!!!!"

Good analogy! Sometimes she reminds me of a 12 year old girl, other times exactly as you described -- someone talking to a child, over-reacting to and over-emphasizing EV-ER-Y-THI-NGA.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, mscool said:

I'm behind on watching, so forgive the late rant about the Easter series:
1) Kathleen -- FFS macarons are not macaroons! I know this was discussed earlier, but it is  bugging the crap out of me. I can't believe the judges didn't say "these aren't macaroons". 

2) The words are REAListic and REALly, not RILLIstic and RILLy.  I don't even know what accent or dialect that is.  

3) Potatoes au gratin is not the same things as scallopped potatoes - one has cheese, one doesn't.    My opinion - Brittany didn't make the dish she was assigned. 

4) I have never seen green bean casserole with carrots, peas, onions, chives, croutons or parm cheese in it. Is that a regional thing? Not sure this met the assigned dish either, but could be regional differences. 

On to the final episode. 

I watched that episode this afternoon, on the marathon.   The potatoes au gratin weren't, and a little cheese on top would have worked, but not the cheese covered mess she made.    The green bean casserole looked nothing like any green bean dish I ever saw.    I loved the ham. 

This isn't the only show where contestants, judges and hosts called macarons, macaroons.  I'm very irritated about that from professional bakers.   

• Love 5
17 hours ago, mscool said:

On to the final episode. 

I had no problem with the potatoes but the green bean casserole, while stunning, was not the green bean casserole I have made or eaten elsewhere. Glad someone noticed that. 

• Love 5

I read a preview

Spoiler

an eliminated baker will be back (please let it be Diego!). Molly Yeh challenges the bakers to make desserts that feature candy, and then it's back to the barn with cute baby farm animals.

Edited by libgirl2
  • Useful 4
57 minutes ago, MerBearHou said:

I'm skipping the finale - sad to say.  I'll check in here to find out who won and hear what you all have to say.  But I cannot watch this...

I don't think the finale is tonight unless it is a two parter. 

• Love 2

After reading all of the comments about last week's show, I erased it from my DVR w/o watching.  I've never done that.  I'm so disgusted with the direction the network chose to take this season, that I'm not sure I will tune in tonight for it.  Without revealing what was posted in the "spoiler" earlier, it sounds like something a child would invent.  Ugh!

• Love 6

I've stopped watching.  Molly drove me away.  I am fine with Carolyn coming back--thanks for letting me know.

Carolyn, Romy and Diego should be the final 3, but these ridiculous Molly-centered challenges made that not possible.

This show is no longer about baking and that is too bad.

• Love 4

To clarify, I have no issue what so ever with Carolyn coming back. I like Carolyn.

But I do think that this "season of rebirth" spin is BS.  I think there was a stink as a result of the timer being turned off, etc and those are the main motivators behind Carolyn being back. 

Maybe it was this POV of mine, but when I say "that was embarrassing to watch" I feel like they were trying to spin the happy narrative, but I kept seeing cracks and tension between Carolyn, Molly and the judges.

• Love 12

Janessa had a horrible preheat and a not good final bake.   So why is she safe again?  Tom had problems in both too.  And yet Justin is the one sent home.  Carolyn coming back was the only good thing about this episode.

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Ms.Lulu said:

I've stopped watching.  Molly drove me away.  I am fine with Carolyn coming back--thanks for letting me know.

Carolyn, Romy and Diego should be the final 3, but these ridiculous Molly-centered challenges made that not possible.

This show is no longer about baking and that is too bad.

I am watching the Julia Child Challenge and I am so impressed and so proud of the finalists. One of my all time favorite chefs showed up. Head and shoulders over baby farm animals and cookie salads.

• Love 7

I like Carolyn and I’m glad she’s back. That said - WTF?? They just bring her back with no explanation whatsoever? 

I don’t know if Justin had severe stage fright or what, but he always seemed so miserable. I felt bad for him every time he was on camera. 

Edited by Maya
  • Love 2