Type keyword(s) to search

Last Week Tonight & John Oliver in the Media

• Start Topic

Emmy nominations are out and eat shit Bob, again!

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics

Late Week Tonight With John Oliver, "Eat Shit, Bob" -- David Dabbon, Joanna Rothkopf, Jill Twiss, Seena Vail

Also, 

Outstanding Variety Talk Series

Outstanding Sound Mixing For A Variety Series Or Special

• Love 12
46 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Emmy nominations are out and eat shit Bob, again!

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics

Late Week Tonight With John Oliver, "Eat Shit, Bob" -- David Dabbon, Joanna Rothkopf, Jill Twiss, Seena Vail

Ahahaha, that's fantastic :D!

No surprise to see the show on the Emmy list, but very cool nonetheless. Congrats and best of luck to them!

• Love 6

Sean Hannity is not a fan of John Oliver Sean Hannity Unloads on John Oliver Over "Last Week Tonight Segment"

Sean Hannity is not a fan of John Oliver or his show, Last Week Tonight, especially after a recent segment in which the Fox News host was criticized for his coverage of the Portland protests. 

As for Last Week Tonight, Hannity said, "I don't really expect John Oliver to know facts or truths, and I'm sure he'll selectively pick out 'well, these are the peaceful protestors,' and ignore the rocks, the bottles, the bricks, the Molotov cocktails, the gunshots, the fireworks and everything else being hurled at officers around the country." 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 7/31/2020 at 6:09 PM, ALenore said:

Sean Hannity is not a fan of John Oliver Sean Hannity Unloads on John Oliver Over "Last Week Tonight Segment"

On 7/31/2020 at 6:09 PM, ALenore said:

As for Last Week Tonight, Hannity said, "I don't really expect John Oliver to know facts or truths, and I'm sure he'll selectively pick out 'well, these are the peaceful protestors,' and ignore the rocks, the bottles, the bricks, the Molotov cocktails, the gunshots, the fireworks and everything else being hurled at officers around the country." 

Hannity would certainly know about selective coverage.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Kromm said:

Something with 'Eat Shit" in the title winning an Emmy is my dream!

I hope they broadcast the best original song category.   I’m dying for them to play a snippet of Eat Shit Bob.  

• Love 8
4 hours ago, swanpride said:

Honestly, it never occurred me that anyone would even consider cancelling this show.

44 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Three seasons? NIce! Very happy news, indeed :D. 

Cut to John: “Joke’s on you! I don’t think I’ll be alive by 2023!”

Seriously, good that we’ll have at least one on Jon Stewart’s disciples speaking truth to power for that long.

• Love 6

Woohoo! I said this in the Emmys thread, but I especially liked him acknowledging the other hosts that were nominated as well, and the hard work they've been putting in keeping their shows going through this pandemic as well. That was a nice touch. 

• Love 8

Here you go, @swanpride - the text from the article. Oh dear, 'sexual vulgarities'! 😆

A substitute history teacher at Spaulding High School in Rochester has been fired after assigning homework that required students to watch videos containing “a lot of sexual vulgarities,” school officials said.

The video clips were from the HBO series “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver,” an Emmy-winning show that takes a satirical approach to news, politics and current events.

The show, which airs at 11 p.m. Sunday nights, is rated for mature audiences. The assignment was made to 10th graders.

The teacher assigned the homework on Sept. 15, according to spokesperson Melissa Proulx. She refused to identify the episodes or the topics.

Superintendent Kyle Repucci said in a statement Tuesday that the homework did not conform with the curriculum created by the students’ regular teacher.

“It was brought to our attention that a substitute teacher violated the district’s policy regarding the use of content with mature language when assigning work for a high school history course. We take these matters seriously, and the substitute teacher has since been dismissed as a result of this violation,” Repucci said.

Spaulding Principal Justin Roy said school officials were notified about the homework assignment last week by angry parents.

“We are trusted by parents to put the best educators we can put in front of kids. There were a lot of sexual vulgarities in there that were inappropriate for high school kids,” Roy said.

Roy said it was the substitute’s third day at the high school. The substitute was an at-will employee and was not a former teacher, he said.

Spaulding has about 10 regular substitute teachers who are at the school daily, Roy said.

Because of a COVID-19 case at the high school, students are working remotely this week. The student who tested positive has not been in school since Sept. 9 and will return to in-person learning on Sept. 24 if cleared by the state Department of Health and Human Services.

The state’s online dashboard lists one recovered case at Spaulding High School.

High schools where state officials are monitoring active COVID-19 cases include Bishop Guertin High School in Nashua, New Hampton School, Salem High School, Timberlane Regional High School in Plaistow and Windham High School.

• Useful 1
6 hours ago, Gothish520 said:

Hmm, 15-16 doesn't seem too young to me.  PG-14 movies have a lot of sex and strong language. 

It's not really about them being too young.  It's about what kind of content is deemed appropriate for a required school assignment. From my experience teaching high school (years ago), the official stance is to ask teachers to be as conservative as possible when it comes to language*, sexual content** or even things that could potentially be controversial*** unless it needs to be taught or there is no other way to teach it.  (And John could be deemed controversial since he gives political opinions even if the assignment segment doesn't have any of those.) 

* Even if they drop worse language in the hallways
** Even if they've all seen more explicit or even done more explicit
*** There seems to be an exception to violence.  When I taught high school and took kids on field trips, we could show movies that contained violence on the bus but absolutely could not show anything with sexual situations.  That's right. Sex was worse than violence.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Okay, but couldn't they give a warning or something less extreme than firing?

Teachers do all kinds of bullshit things, and I hate that this is the line when so much else isn't.

If it had been a regular teacher, they likely would have gotten a warning but this was a substitute teacher.

I'd really need to know more about this sub and how much control they had over assignments.  Was this supposed to be a long term sub?  It says the sub deviated from the curriculum laid out by the section's regular teacher.  If the sub was a long term sub, they might have had some freedom to determine what they assign their students but if it's short term, it's pretty likely the regular teacher had everything pre-set. 

• Love 2

Fabulous! Here is the full article at HuffPost. I really love this part:

[Mayor Mark] Boughton said Friday that the feud has been a good distraction from the coronavirus and other troubles of the times. He also said Oliver’s promised donations have helped spur local fundraising efforts for area food banks that could end up collecting a few hundred thousand dollars to feed needy families.

The mayor added he will be offering tours of the sewer plant for $500 donations to local food pantries.

“I think it’s been a home run. It’s been a lot of fun,” Boughton said of the spat. “If I can put food on people’s table for Thanksgiving by naming a sewer plant after a very popular comedian, we’ll do it all day long.”

• Love 15
31 minutes ago, purist said:

Fabulous! Here is the full article at HuffPost. I really love this part:

I really love how this story keeps growing. It started out just typical John Oliver randomly going off about the town. Then the mayor saying he was going to name the sewer plant after him and John excited about it because of course he would until he learned the mayor was just joking. John deciding to try and make it happen an offer to make all those donations. Now it is, Danbury's getting the donations and there's going to be tours! What a fun story. And helping people! Its just really great.

• Love 12
15 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Now it is, Danbury's getting the donations and there's going to be tours! What a fun story. And helping people! Its just really great.

Obviously, the white void can easily be replicated in the sewage treatment plant..

• LOL 5
  • Love 1