Type keyword(s) to search

Last Week Tonight & John Oliver in the Media

• Start Topic

On 5/3/2023 at 7:40 PM, ShadowKnight2 said:
On 5/3/2023 at 7:13 PM, Lantern7 said:

Does the writers’ strike apply to LWT?

I would imagine so.

Yes it is a a production covered by the WGA.

On 5/3/2023 at 7:59 PM, Annber03 said:

Yeah, I read something about that show going dark, too. 

Plus, just on a personal level, I would think John would give his full on support for the writers' strike, given his general stance on these kinds of issues as it is. 

Yes John is supportive. But it's not just his personal beliefs. There are other issues involved as some of us who were watching John during the last strike may remember - https://www.cc.com/video/ixq99m/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-olivers-on-the-strike

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Popples said:

🎉🎉🎉

Welcome news indeed . . .  though I was thinking how appropriate it would've been to have ended the season with a toilet-based spoof on (of all movies) Magnolia. Also, I'm guessing the actors' strike doesn't apply to John.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

I’m guessing they plan to do a show about the strike and workers rights, or they had some thing that was almost ready to go when the strike occurred and they’re able to just put the finishing touches on that.

That's what in think too.  I had seen speculation in the press that it'd take weeks to get LWT back up and running because of how in-depth the pieces are. 

• Like 3

John was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. I was surprised to hear him say HBO would rather his show just go away but all the Emmy wins make it hard for them to cancel it. From context I assume it's because the show causes them a lot of legal grief with all the exposes they do. 

I also didn't realize why the show had changed categories for the Emmys until it was explained here.

• Useful 4
On 1/19/2024 at 11:22 AM, iMonrey said:

John was on Jimmy Kimmel last night. I was surprised to hear him say HBO would rather his show just go away but all the Emmy wins make it hard for them to cancel it. From context I assume it's because the show causes them a lot of legal grief with all the exposes they do.

I would actually bet the legal grief is pretty minor all things considered. I think we have to remember a couple of things - John is pretty self-deprecating, I don't think there would be any danger of cancellation if they didn't win - the show is a money maker, based upon everything we know about online monetization and the streaming viewership. I am sure he gets a lot of grief from various execs - for the programming types they have to deal with people in the industry they want to work with being offended by his jokes. The higher ups have to deal with grief from various investors and their rich asshole friends who are the ones making money from his featured stories more often than not.  But the  bottom line is the bottom line. As long as the show keeps making money Zaslov and company will keep it on the air. If it stops making money they will cancel it if wins the EGOT and makes all the crtics Best Of lists.

• Like 5
On 1/20/2024 at 3:22 AM, iMonrey said:

John was on Jimmy Kimmel last night.

He is such a charming guest! Here is the Kimmel appearance for anyone who hasn't seen it. And he said he's doing a monthly stand-up residency with Seth Meyers at the Beacon Theatre starting on 25 February. I wish I lived in New York so I could go!

• Like 8

In case anybody is wondering why the main story isn't on YouTube (officially) yet -

HBO Delays Posting ‘Last Week Tonight With John Oliver’ Clips to YouTube in Hopes of Signing Up More Max Subscribers

HBO Delays ‘Last Week Tonight’ Main Story Release On YouTube; John Oliver Hopes Network Reconsiders

I think this is another piece of evidence that despite John's self deprecating remarks the show really isn't any danger of cancellation no matter how much he may annoy his "business daddy" and their PR staff at times. They would not be trying this unless there was a crapload of views and some strong numbers concerning audience engagement.

• Like 2
  • Useful 3

It's always been a 3 week wait in Canada so I don't have a lot of sympathy. Lucky for me I got a deal for a year subscription to Crave so I can now happily watch the entire episode the next day.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, wknt3 said:

In case anybody is wondering why the main story isn't on YouTube (officially) yet -

HBO Delays Posting ‘Last Week Tonight With John Oliver’ Clips to YouTube in Hopes of Signing Up More Max Subscribers

HBO Delays ‘Last Week Tonight’ Main Story Release On YouTube; John Oliver Hopes Network Reconsiders

I think this is another piece of evidence that despite John's self deprecating remarks the show really isn't any danger of cancellation no matter how much he may annoy his "business daddy" and their PR staff at times. They would not be trying this unless there was a crapload of views and some strong numbers concerning audience engagement.

I hope they put it up soon. That's the only way I can watch it.

• Like 2
On 2/25/2024 at 10:26 PM, marina to said:

And of course I see "Video unavailable. The uploader has not made this video available in your country." Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose..

FWIW, I'm getting the same message in the US.

• Like 2
(edited)

I don't understand why Max doesn't have all the episodes on the platform, but I guess this is something.

Edited by Popples
Added information
  • Applause 1

That's an ongoing issue with HBO originals. Before they cancelled Real Sports, it frustrated me to no end that you couldn't peruse the back catalogue - that show had an amazing archive of stories and investigations. But paying subscribers could only find the current and prior season only.