Type keyword(s) to search

Last Week Tonight & John Oliver in the Media

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Oh this is too rich! On SNL last night, they had a Celebrity School segment and Ollie was being portrayed in it in the upper right corner. As well as his former crush Adam Driver, two seats from him!

Nice sketch . . . my only complaint is that "John" didn't take a few seconds to make weird overtures towards Adam.

10 minutes ago, Popples said:

Someone did the car commercial!

Those guys were great sports. And John threw them a bone with the pickle!

• Love 2

Oh, my god, the Zumbrota people won this contest :D?!?! I live in northern Iowa and we get a couple stations out of southern Minnesota here, and we see the Zumbrota ads all the time on those channels. That makes this clip all the more awesome as a result now! I am definitely going to be on the lookout for this ad - good on them for having such fun with it and making it so entertaining. I especially loved the architect portion of their argument XD. 

What a great update to this story. 

• Love 9

I squeaked a little bit when I heard the name. I feel like I've seen some of their ads too even though I'm technically not in their main TV area.

I think I would've ended it with one of them driving away in a mid-life crisis sports car, though.

• Love 5

I bet Ford hates that they dissed the minivan.

But if buying a new car saved their marriage, and we saw them driving off together in the sports car, or maybe we see both of them driving away from the dealership in separate cars, that would have been funnier, and more in line with the usual tone of an ad.

Showing the one walking INTO the dealership, though, was still really enjoyable. The sad tone of that last visual was kind of what made it genius. You'll remember that dealership, and not just roll your eyes at it.

• Love 4

"Brands like 7Up, the poor man's Sprite, and the rich man's Sierra Mist." LOL. I also loved Sunny D having an existential crisis on Twitter. 

That Chex video game story was wild (also, I happen to like Chex, but I'll admit John's not exactly wrong about it being pretty boring food :p). And I liked Pepsi Man's song :D. 

I'm not a gamer, but I would play that Chips Ahoy game John suggested. 

• Love 3

"if you are too young to remember what the world was like when Da Vinci Code came out, first of all...die." 

LMAO XD! I also loved his reaction to Langdon actually spelling out the word "apple" (my reaction wasn't quite THAT extreme, but I did wince at that part of the clip). Never read the book or seen any of the movies, and judging from this, I clearly haven't missed anything :p. I would honestly be fine with sitting in the audience and listening to John just rant about whatever books/movies/TV shows he hated :D. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Found this from the Late Show YouTube:

I have never been to India. So take this as you may. I had the best Indian food in London, and I have had Indian food in Chicago, New York San Francisco, DC, and Toronto.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I forgot the exact episode, but PBS Newshour is reporting that the woman falsely accused of killing her baby was given a stay of execution today. 

GOOD! Now let's see them overturn that monstrosity of a conviction!

• Love 2

I don't think Warner Bros/Discovery will cancel Last Week. But after reading about how the new company is taking a chainsaw to content (Batgirl, HBO Max) I really wonder if the TPTB will put pressure on the show to change, both financially and legally. This doesn't seem like a regime that would give the greenlight to a project like Eat Shit Bob.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
On 8/18/2022 at 2:10 PM, xaxat said:

I don't think Warner Bros/Discovery will cancel Last Week. But after reading about how the new company is taking a chainsaw to content (Batgirl, HBO Max) I really wonder if the TPTB will put pressure on the show to change, both financially and legally. This doesn't seem like a regime that would give the greenlight to a project like Eat Shit Bob.

They definitely won't cancel it. It has great viewer engagement, huge YouTube viewership (meaning another revenue stream), and is almost certainly quite a bit less expensive to produce than most of the high profile scripted programming while making more episodes. Basically it is a money maker. I would not be surprised to see them cut budgets, but I don't see them trying to change content - it's most likely more trouble than it is worth. If there is one thing reality TV execs know it;s that a little controversy is good for business and that as long as the majority of the audience and the press is on your side the occasional lawsuit is simply the cost of doing business.

Edited by wknt3
fix typos
  • Love 4

Does Malmo incinerate trash? Or will the dolls live in landfill forever?

Is HBO selling the voice messages - so that when I use my Windows Recycle Bin - it triggers my PC?? 

Edited by paigow
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1

John Oliver appeared a couple of weeks ago on Men in Blazers, a show with humorous takes on soccer, particularly English Premier League.

Obviously a lifelong fan of Liverpool, but he's familiar with all the clubs and players, make some humorous observations.

Honestly sounds like if LWT did a segment on the sport.  That is, the easy mocking that he does but while being honest and serious about the subject, the winning tone is evident.

Probably means he's either improvising on LWT or he writes a lot of the copy he speaks on LWT.

• Like 2
21 hours ago, aghst said:

John Oliver appeared a couple of weeks ago on Men in Blazers, a show with humorous takes on soccer, particularly English Premier League.

Obviously a lifelong fan of Liverpool, but he's familiar with all the clubs and players, make some humorous observations.

Honestly sounds like if LWT did a segment on the sport.  That is, the easy mocking that he does but while being honest and serious about the subject, the winning tone is evident.

Probably means he's either improvising on LWT or he writes a lot of the copy he speaks on LWT.

I suspect that it's more about his being a writer who has an established comic voice and has very talented writers who understand that voice combined with him having creative control over what he says on the air - so even if he's not actually writing the copy it's still written in his style and he edits out anything he feels doesn't fit his style. I doubt there is a lot of improvisation as there is a lot of coordination with graphics, prepared bits, etc. so even his talented staff would probably have problems getting things together between film and air if it was heavily improvised.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

But do they film on the same day it airs or a couple of days before, in which case they can edit it in post?

He's probably not going off script much, because as you say, they have to coordinate with graphics and videos they show.

But I was more referring to his appearance on the Men in Blazers show, obviously he's just speaking off the cuff, though maybe that show discussed what topics they wanted to cover, like different clubs, which he opined about during this appearance.

So he may have given some thought and prepped but he obviously wasn't working from a script.

• Like 1

Yeah, I read something about that show going dark, too. 

Plus, just on a personal level, I would think John would give his full on support for the writers' strike, given his general stance on these kinds of issues as it is. 

• Like 4