Type keyword(s) to search

Last Week Tonight & John Oliver in the Media

• Start Topic

Jon Stewart, Samantha Bee, John Oliver, Rob Corddry and Ed Helms joined Colbert to reminisce about their years on the Comedy Central late-night mainstay. Stewart has made several appearances on “Late Show” since Colbert took over in September 2015; he’s also an exec producer of “Late Show.”

The former colleagues swapped stories and shared clips of their early appearances on the show.

“This arrangement we have right now is exactly something we would have made fun of on ‘The Daily Show,’ ” Colbert joked as they gathered on a sectional sofa brought out to “Late Show” set for the occasion.

‘Daily Show’ Reunion: Jon Stewart, Samantha Bee, John Oliver Join Stephen Colbert (Watch)

Peter Capaldi, the current occupant of the Tardis, will step down after the 2017 Christmas special and his successor has not yet been announced.

Now Gomez, who played Missy on the show and will return in a new episode on Saturday, has said the British host of US show Last Week Tonight With John Oliver would be her choice to take his place.

She answered the question of who she would cast during an Ask Me Anything session on Reddit, when she also said she would be keen for her character to get her own spin-off. 

TV host John Oliver tipped for time lord role by Michelle Gomez

• Love 2

A Russian activist has been fined 1,500 rubles ($26) after being found guilty of “spreading extremist materials.” His crime: sharing a clip of Last Week Tonight With John Oliver on a Russian social media site.

Semyon Kochkin, who works at opposition leader Alexei Navalny’s headquarters in the Chuvashia region, posted a clip from a 2015 episode of the HBO political-satire series on the VKontakte site. In the clip, Oliver detailed a story of three Chechen women who tricked members of the Islamic State militant group (ISIS) into sending them thousands of dollars by posing as potential brides who would travel to join them in Syria.

But the clip also included shots of ISIS flags, and that, ruled a court in the port city of Cheboksary on Thursday, made it “extremist.” ISIS symbols are banned in Russia, but activists have claimed that Vladimir Putin’s government abuses anti-extremism legislation in order to prosecute Kremlin critics.

Navalny has said he intends to run in next year’s presidential election, when Putin is ineligible to seek a fourth term as president, although courts have barred Navalny from doing so. He has been repeatedly jailed, most recently last month when he was detained at a protest rally. An anti-corruption activist, Navalny conducts a live YouTube broadcast weekly, which regularly attracts more than 1 million viewers.

Kochkin, 23, feared he too could wind up in prison for his offense and even brought a bag with warm clothes and a blanket to court, according to U.S. government-funded outlet Radio Liberty. Sharing extremism is punishable by up to 15 days in prison. Kochkin suggested that authorities were attempting to disrupt a June 12 rally Navalny has called for.

John Oliver Clip is ‘Extremist,’ Russian Court Rules as it Fines Activist for Sharing Online

John Oliver, in a recorded message, addressed the crowd of around 200, thanking them for their recognition of his socially-conscious HBO late-night show. “I am told that you are giving our show, ‘Last Week Tonight,’ an award about the power of television to advance social change right after playing a clip where I talk about penises, which feels both very wrong and entirely correct,” Oliver quipped. “I want to take a moment to say congratulations to the other winners who are making art by dealing with complex, important subjects, many of which I hope to steal for our next season.”

‘Speechless’ Creator Calls for Casting More Actors With Disabilities at TV Academy Honors

• Love 1

The Trevor Project announced today that comedian and talk show host John Oliver is set to emcee the 2017 TrevorLIVE New York gala, to be held June 19 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel Times Square. Previously announced LGBTQ activist Edie Windsor will receive the Trevor Project's Icon Award and the lead singer of Imagine Dragons, Dan Reynolds, will be honored with the Trevor Hero Award. Additionally, YouTube star Randy Rainbow will act as the "Voice of God" — the night's master of ceremonies.

John Oliver to Host TrevorLIVE New York Gala

• Love 2

In the early hours of November 9, John Oliver sat alone watching the shocking results play out on his television screen. Donald Trump’s victory was, he told the crowd in his opening remarks at the TrevorLIVE fund-raiser on Monday night in New York City, “not ideal,” but somehow he stayed fixated on the happenings. Afterward he “felt so hollow inside” that there was only one cure: “I watched five back-to-back episodes of RuPaul’s Drag Race, he said. “It was the version of America that I wanted to live in, rather than the one that was unfolding in history.”

Monday night’s event, held to benefit the Trevor Project’s work in suicide prevention and crisis intervention for L.G.B.TQ. youth, kept the same tone of solace, hope, and humor that Oliver found the day after November 8, 2016. Oliver, who was the host for the evening, also delivered his opening remarks from a place of empathy as a Brit also experiencing the apparent demise of his own country, via Brexit.

How RuPaul’s Drag Race Solved John Oliver’s Post-Election Woes

• Love 1

John Oliver and the producers at Last Week Tonight have spawned an amazing amount of interest and look-alike efforts to address America’s problem with unpaid medical debt. Imitation has been not only the sincerest form of flattery, it’s also been the most effective.

RIP’s CEO, Craig Antico, says that by the end of July, John Oliver’s fans will have made possible the abolishment of more than $75,000,000 in medical debt.

The youngest in this string of philanthropists include a trio of High School students in Pensacola who launched a campaign to abolish $1,000,000 in their part of Florida.

Healthtech Start-up Aims to Outdo John Oliver

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, ahisma said:

Thanks for that heads up! I wonder if John and Stephen will get into a love fest (or, more likely, a competition) over their presidential purchases. :D

Colbert will interview a wax Oliver....

• Love 2
(edited)

Milo Yiannopoulos says he's just like John Oliver ... except way on the other end of the spectrum. 

The extreme right-wing conservative made the comparison Thursday night as he was leaving The DL in NYC where he went off on famed publisher Simon & Schuster for cancelling his book deal.

Milo Yiannopoulos I'm the John Oliver of the Right ... And No One's Close!!!

The man inside the bear in Bear in the Big Blue House is Noel MacNeal.

The 55-year-old puppeteer is behind many of your favorite childhood characters, from Sesame Street to even The Puzzle Place. Remember Eureka's Castle? He played Magellan.

Today he often does puppet work on Last Week Tonight with John Oliver. He also has his own show, The Show Me Show.

From Barney to Big Bird, Here's What the Stars Inside Your Favorite Childhood Costumes Look Like IRL

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, peeayebee said:

On 7/8/2017 at 0:43 AM, OneWhoLurks said:

Milo Yiannopoulos says he's just like John Oliver ... except way on the other end of the spectrum.

Yeah, right.

Seriously, that is disgusting. John says extreme things for obvious humor. MY says extreme things in order to be a troll and stir things up. He says them with a straight face, and many of his fans take his words at face value—they echo the vile things they believe. John takes on the rich and powerful, because they hurt regular citizens. MY does things like out trans students by name so that his followers will attack them. That MY even pretends to be analogous to John makes me nauseous.

Edited by ahisma
Formatting
  • Love 7

Rowan Atkinson voiced the uptight hornbill in the original 1996 animated pic, who serves as a feathered political advisor to Simba and Mustafa. 

Oliver, who is best known as the host of HBO's Last Week Tonight, has voiced Vanity Smurf in Sony's The Smurfs and Smurfs 2. He is repped by WME and Avalon.

Lion King is set for a July 19, 2019, release date.

John Oliver to Voice Zazu in Disney's 'Lion King' Remake

• Love 1
(edited)

Janice from Accounting got a shoutout on 'The Daily Show with Trevor Noah' on Monday night.

Why ?  Because she don't give a fuck.  And Trevor really missed the fact that Ollie was off this week.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 9

Last Week Tonight received eight Emmy nominations!

OUTSTANDING DIRECTING FOR A VARIETY SERIES - Paul Pennolino ("Multi-Level Marketing")

OUTSTANDING PICTURE EDITING FOR VARIETY PROGRAMMING - Stoplight

OUTSTANDING PICTURE EDITING FOR VARIETY PROGRAMMING - F*uck 2016

OUTSTANDING INTERACTIVE PROGRAM

OUTSTANDING VARIETY TALK SERIES

OUTSTANDING SOUND MIXING FOR A VARIETY SERIES OR SPECIAL

OUTSTANDING TECHNICAL DIRECTION, CAMERAWORK, VIDEO CONTROL FOR A SERIES

OUTSTANDING WRITING FOR A VARIETY SERIES

• Love 1
On 7/13/2017 at 10:10 AM, peeayebee said:

John was on The Late Show last night. I didn't watch then, but I watched it here. So good. Watch all three videos.

That was hilarious.  I loved John getting the giggles when Colbert tried to pry about the lawsuit.

• Love 2

"The first words out of his mouth, sarcastically, were 'Well, I hope no one on your crew is gay, because you know we like to throw them in secret prisons and torture them to death,'" Scott said. "That's how he opens a booking meeting."

They spoke for an hour, and John Oliver was repeatedly brought up. The host of HBO's "Last Week Tonight" did a segment last year on Kadyrov and his lost cat that went viral.

"I think it was one of the things that had become an obstacle," Scott said, adding that the press secretary brought up Oliver in Scott's first visit to Chechnya. "They associated HBO with John Oliver and the ridicule. So that's the thing they were worried about — that we were coming to make fun of him, to embarrass him, which we had no intention of doing. And so I told them, 'Look, that's a satire show, that is a comic show, we are the opposite of that.' They were comforted by that."

Anti-gay threats, Geiger counters, and insecurities about John Oliver: HBO's journey to interview the Chechen leader

ACLU files a snarky amicus brief on behalf of John Oliver vs coal baron Robert Murray

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/aclu-coal-baron-suing-hbos-john-oliver-you-cant-sue-people-being-mean-you-bob-1025919 "Anyone Can Legally Say “Eat Shit, Bob!”

"Apparently because Plaintiffs’ delicate sensibilities were offended, they clutched their pearls and filed this suit"

Quoting the lawsuit: 

"[A]fter the live taping, Defendant Oliver exclaimed to the audience that having someone in a squirrel costume tell Bob Murray to ‘Eat Shit’ was a ‘dream come true.’”  - footnoted with "Everyone is allowed to have dreams"

5 The Complaint also interestingly claims that “nothing has ever stressed [Bob Murray] more than [John Oliver’s] vicious and untruthful attack.” Compl. [Docket 1-1], at ¶ 5. As one media outlet asked, “s he really saying that a late night British comedian on a premium channel has caused him more stress than the time that one of his mines collapsed and killed a group of his employees? If so . . . that’s . . . weird.”

Obviously law school isn't all cramming away at legal research; snark and dark sarcasm are also in the classroom.

• Love 11

Slate piles on with its report of the ACLU amicus brief. "You can't sue people for being mean to you, Bob."  Also, the brief included side by side photos of Dr. Evil and Bob Murray, to bolster its assertion that truth is an absolute defense here.

So, so good.

• Love 3

Congratulations to LWT on its Creative Arts Emmy win:

Outstanding Picture Editing For Variety Programming

Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
F*ck 2016 (segment)
HBO • HBO Entertainment in association with Sixteen String Jack Productions and Avalon Television
Anthony Miale, Editor

Winner Anthony Miale thanked John Oliver for “letting me do some silly stuff on your otherwise informative television program.”

• Love 4

Did anyone else notice that JO was wearing a blue jacket with black trousers at the Emmys last night?  John's jacket did have black lapels so it may have made some fashion sense but I'm betting it was done specifically to highlight the fact that Trump was photographed wearing the black/blue combo earlier in the week.  If so, well done John!

Kevin Hardwick, who also is a political science professor at Canisius College, obviously is proud of his son. He tweeted Jeremy's involvement with "LWT" when it won an Emmy. That led me to ask him in a Twitter message if his son's politics differ from his.

"As far as politics, we are both Bills fans," Kevin cracked diplomatically.

As script supervisor of "Last Week Tonight,"' his role is to create a timeline  of all the elements of the show – including video and graphics over Oliver's shoulder – that are in the script for the people who need to use them in the control room.

"It is more of like a glorified copy editor," said Jeremy. "A lot of people do a lot of great work on the show and I'm just happy to be a part of it. I'm kind of along for the ride."

Jeremy Hardwick - Kevin's son - gets that his job with John Oliver is funny

"While my initial ask to play one of Molly’s love interests on Insecure was rejected, this is a nice consolation,” Cenac said. “My thanks to Nina, [HBO Programming president] Casey Bloys and everyone at HBO for finally giving me a place where I can comfortably swear on television."

Cenac, Ezra Edelman (O.J.: Made in America), Oliver (Last Week Tonight) and Hallie Haglund (The Daily Show) will exec produce the series, with the latter set to serve as head writer. Diane Fitzgerald (Last Week Tonight) will co-executive produce the series, which hails from Avalon Television (Last Week Tonight).

"Wyatt is one of the smartest, funniest, most curious people I know,” Oliver said. “I can’t wait to see what he comes up with.”

Wyatt Cenac to Star in HBO Comedic Docuseries From John Oliver (Exclusive)

ETA:

This is the most recent update I could find on the lawsuit:

HBO and Partially Important Productions — the company behind Last Week — have submitted two motions.

The first challenges a West Virginia court's jurisdiction to hear the matter. The show's producer argues that it has insufficient contacts with the state and that the broadcast was hardly directed there. To force defendants to fight the case in West Virginia, it's submitted, would be both a violation of the state's long-arm statute and due process under the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

The second motion in the Murray case comes from HBO and parent Time Warner and argues that Murray has failed to state a proper claim for defamation. They say plaintiffs have come nowhere close. According to the brief, "In fact, their complaint disregards long-settled First Amendment and common law protections for the two types of speech challenged here: accurate reporting on government activity, and commentary and satire on matters of public concern."

Murray complains about statements and alleged implications that Murray Energy is sacrificing safety and the health of its employees for profits, but the defendants say such statements about the decade-old mining accident and the company's bonus program "were based squarely on judicial opinions and government reports" and are thus "are privileged as fair and accurate reports of government action and are also protected under New York Times Co. v. Sullivan, and its progeny, which require plaintiffs to plead and prove knowledge of falsity or a high degree of awareness of probable falsity."

HBO Asks West Virginia Judge to Dismiss Defamation Lawsuit Over John Oliver Show

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 3

“Yeah, that’s right. I was aware of him. I’d seen him in a double act. I chose him because I knew he did political stuff. And I knew Jon and I’d done 'The Daily Show,' and we had nothing like it in England. And so, yeah he was the top of the list really. “

England’s loss was very much America’s gain, so I decided to ask Gervais why Oliver didn't have the platform to work his comedic magic in his homeland.

“I don’t know why we haven’t got anything like 'The Daily Show.' We’ve tried, it always seems to come out really smug and public school when they do it. It’s sort of dry and Oxbridge and nauseating. When America does it the comedy comes first. Often when a British show tries to do highfalutin satire there’s something too smug about it.”

Ricky Gervais recommended John Oliver for 'The Daily Show'

AI: “I’m not interested, and don’t touch. Don’t touch the pieces.” Someone asked me the other day, how do you describe him? I was at a screening in New York, and thought, “I have to be very careful here because I’m in someone else’s country… but, he’s a dildo.” I think that’s what he is. I think people vote for him for their own satisfaction rather than other people’s satisfaction. To pleasure themselves, rather than each other.

JO: I mean, that certainly sounds great. But, y’know, a dildo is a practical object which is built to give others pleasure and which delivers upon what it promises to do, and I’m afraid that’s where your comparison falls apart. He’s a dildo with no particular interest or capability to bring you to orgasm.

AI: Yes, it calls itself a dildo, but it’s just a small piece of wood. In the shop there’s a little piece of paper saying: “This is the Best Dildo Ever. You won’t believe how good this dildo is.”

JO: That’s why I have no interest in interviewing him, and I never have. The problem with talking to him is that you’ll say something which absolutely demands pushback and correction, but he hasn’t stopped talking. He’s still going. At which point the person interviewing him has a really tricky choice to make, which is: do I go back to that first thing and hold him to the fire for the rest of my 20 minutes and go all in on this, or do I just try and keep up with him? And I don’t think trying to keep up with him really works because he’s literally talking faster than he’s thinking. And he’s not talking that fast.

AI: He doesn’t do dialogue. It sounds like he’s speaking to a reporter, but he’s not, is he? He’s sort of conversing with himself so there’s no way in. He’s in this kind of bubble of his own spoken thought. He has this habit of starting one sentence, then starting another one, and another, so he has about five different sentences on the go at once, y’know.

JO: Yeah, it’s halfway between a full unedited interior monologue and freeform jazz, because the little front notes return to recognisable themes. It kind of makes sense coz it’s like he’s riffing. He’s like a verbal clarinet.

“Trump is a useless dildo.” | Armando Iannucci interviews John Oliver

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 5

On the one hand, that dildo conversation is so spot on and hilarious. On the other hand, now I have REALLY disturbing images in my head, so thanks for that, guys :/.

Oliver's explanation of why it'd be impossible to interview Trump is sadly so spot on as well. I sympathize so much with his exhaustion. And while I definitely think a lot of what he discusses should clearly be seen by people over and over again until the facts actually sink into their heads, at the same time, I totally understand him seeing this show as merely narrating what's happening. Yes, he's preaching to the choir, but it's nice for the choir to turn to a show that reminds us that no, we're not taking crazy pills, and somebody else is just as frustrated by and tired of all of this BS as we are. 

It feels like we’re drowning. You’re just trying to keep your head above water rather than thinking about what the future of swimming will look like. 

This is a perfect description of the current political climate, too. I've got one hell of an optimistic streak in me, though, so I like to think, and hope, we'll look back on this time as a bizarre side note. 

On a significantly lighter note, did not know that Gervais was responsible for recommending Oliver to TDS. Neat :). Glad Stewart took him up on that suggestion. 

• Love 1

Great conversation betw John and Armando. Their wit and insight is so enjoyable. I can picture John laughing and giggling thruout.

You can pull so many great quotes from it.

AI: With news alerts, do you have a particular one for when it’s a Trump thing? Like a high-pitched scream? Or the noise of a traffic accident?

The bit about Trump buying chess sets but not playing is perfect:

AI: So he can actually say to people who come round: “Do you know, I’m a chess player?”

JO: Yeah. “I’m a chess player, and that’s a polar bear tooth.” “How does that piece move?” “I’m not really interested in that.”

And the comparison of Trump to a dildo:

JO: Many people have faith and belief in what he’s capable of, but are obviously not willing to risk splinters.

AI: In fact, a lot of them say, “Despite the splinters, I’m still using it.”

I remember when Trump was elected I couldn't imagine how he'd do news conferences. I thought, "Ah, here is where everyone will see the emperor without his clothes." First off, except for that one disastrous one, he doesn't do press conferences. He loves tweeting because, as John and Armando said, he's conversing with himself. He just likes to declare, speechify, hold forth. Twitter allows him to stand at the top of the tower like the King of Id and make his proclamations without anyone pushing back right to his face.

Second, this emperor never wears clothes, but his supporters and sycophants lay clothes over him like he was a paper doll. I think it'll literally take the pee tape to change people's minds.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 2
On 11/1/2017 at 7:44 AM, peeayebee said:

I think it'll literally take the pee tape to change people's minds.

You have a lot of faith. The pee situation purportedly came about because Trump wanted to defile the bed where the Obamas slept. There is a sizable number of Americans who would cheer that on. 

Edited by ahisma
grammar
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I know I know. My BIL for one would applaud. But seriously, that can't be forgivable by the majority of Americans, and certainly not by Congress, right? RIGHT?

There was a ton of shit Drumph said or was exposed upon during the campaign trail that was as bad as the Russian pee tapes. And the orange asswipe still became president. Never underestimate the stupidity of the average American voter.

• Love 9

"How does that happen?," Stewart wondered before imagining such a voter's line of thinking. 'You know who I really want to vote for, you know who I really love, is that very staid professorial gentleman from Kenyan birth who has an articulate sense but a bit standoffish and aloof, intellectual, professorial—that's the guy that I really love, but you know since he's not running this year, I'm gonna check out the grab 'em by the pussy candidate. That seems like a good natural evolution of my political [beliefs]' How do you even get there?"

He added, "It's like a guy who's like, 'It didn't work out with my girlfriend, so now I'm going out with a toaster.' Just stick my dick in it and see what happens. That's really I think where our country's at right now. We all put our dick in the toaster and we're all waiting to see what happens."

Later Stewart's former Daily Show colleague John Oliver likened the current state of America to "a girl who's throwing up all over herself," putting those who love and support the U.S., like the British comedian, in the position of "holding her hair back, saying, 'Let it all out. You just made a mistake, that's all. You can't repeat this mistake though otherwise you become less sympathetic.'"

Jon Stewart, John Oliver Deliver Political Comedy for Trump Era at Stand Up for Heroes Benefit

“It’s hard right?” the British comic told us at Madison Square Garden's Stand Up for Heroes veterans benefit.

Oliver says when he first came to the U.S., he was completely baffled by our nation’s acceptance, or even enthusiasm, when it came to firearms. But as time went by, he started to wrap his brain around it a little more. Then it got confusing again.

“The kind of firearms that are increasingly involved in these mass shootings remains inexplicable to me,” he said. “I have not heard a good case for AR-15s in private hands. So that's the part of it that remains baffling to me.”

John Oliver is still waiting for a good argument in favor of AR-15s

Edited by OneWhoLurks
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, netlyon2 said:

As soon as it mentioned the awkwardly inappropriate "And now" clips, I was like, "Holy shit! It was that guy? Makes perfect sense."

When I first heard about Charlie Rose, I flashed back to some of the "And Now" segments, but I really thought I was misremembering.  And then I read the WaPo today and realized I was remembering just right.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see someone blame John Oliver for being subtle and not more overt in outing the bad behavior.

• Love 3