Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Cake and Pastry Week

• Start Topic

No, Spice, you’ve passed the short short skirt stage, sorry. Also, wth color is her hair? And did she have to announce the judges would be judging from worst to best right before Paul says ”in last place ...”  Do the producers think the viewers are that dumb?

I was a bit surprised when several of the Americans seemed to recognize "Baby Spice."  Maybe it's just because I don't keep up with popular culture but I wouldn't recognize her if she came to my door.  I can't say I'm impressed with either host but I love Sherry Yard so I was happy to see her.  Paul looks different in some way I can't put my finger on.  Maybe it's just that he's older than the last time I saw him.  His blue eyes have faded some and his tan is way too dark.

So far I like all the men and most of the women although none of them seem as skilled as the British bakers.  That may change as they settle in.  I was relieved that the woman with the ridiculous hair and tattoos was eliminated first.  I didn't relish having to look at her for weeks.  

Sometimes, while watching baking shows, I think I must be the only person in existence who has no memories of my mother or grandmothers ever baking anything much less handing down treasured family recipes.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, rhys said:

Nothing to do with the bakers, but does anyone know how Paul got the gap/hole in his scalp (hair, not head)?

I was wondering the same.  That didn't look like a bald spot.

I had to look up Sherry Yard since I'd never seen/heard of her.  I hope she grows on me.  

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 3

I'm not sorry to see Jill go. Her bakes were messes.

I'm guessing the one dude puts booze in about everything. 

I would never use extract on a baking show unless the show supplied it and expected you to use it.

I have not heard the term "slab pie" before.

• Love 8

I grew up with one of the contestants and am still friendly with her, so I am only watching to support her! I know nothing about baking, cooking, or food (other than EATING A TON OF IT!!), but it's super exciting to see someone I know on national TV. 

Some of the things these bakers came up with looked awful but perhaps they were delicious. That shallot dish looked inedible to me - no thanks! I can't even imagine tasting a tiny morsel of that. 

I'm looking forward to the cookies part of the competition.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Biggie B said:

That shallot dish looked inedible to me - no thanks! 

I was thinking the same thing.  Is onion pie even something served in the US?  I don't think technical bakes for foods unknown in this country are really fair.  Although since Paul is so disparaging of American food I can see him pulling this kind of crap.

1 hour ago, Biggie B said:

I grew up with one of the contestants and am still friendly with her

Was she allowed to tell you who won?  Not that I want to know ahead but just curious.  And how long ago was this filmed?  In one scene they are all bundled up like it's cold but is that just a fake to fit with the holiday theme?  Inquiring minds want to know!

I didn't watch the first hour, but I found the second hour totally underwhelming, and I think I'm going to hate-watch the rest of the season, because Paul is really getting on my nerves here. His shtick has warn out its welcome for me, and Sherry Yard is no Mary Berry. Plus, there was A LOT of untethered hair in the tent, and that grossed me out. Pull it back, people, and that includes you, Baby Spice!

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

Pull it back, people, and that includes you, Baby Spice!

Totally agree and they have the same problem with the British shows.  Not that they need to wear hairnets but at least don't be bending over the food with your hair in the bowl.

Isn't the Spice girl getting a little long in the tooth to be calling herself "Baby" anything?

• Love 6
7 hours ago, mlp said:

I was a bit surprised when several of the Americans seemed to recognize "Baby Spice."  Maybe it's just because I don't keep up with popular culture but I wouldn't recognize her if she came to my door.  I can't say I'm impressed with either host but I love Sherry Yard so I was happy to see her.

Sometimes, while watching baking shows, I think I must be the only person in existence who has no memories of my mother or grandmothers ever baking anything much less handing down treasured family recipes.

Not sure of your age, but I would recognize Baby Spice on my doorstep. Although out of context and not in her BS getup I might not be able to place who she was right away I would at least know her as someone famous.

I think memories of your mother / grandmother baking are definitely a generational, familial, and ... quality of life (is that the right way to say it?) thing. Like, if I went on a cooking show and wanted to use family recipes I'd be making a lot of spaghetti-os, beanie weenies, and grilled spam. 

Does a frozen pizza count as baking?

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, kj4ever said:

This seemed completely dumbed down compared to the British version.  The three rounds were so much simpler on this show.  Pastry week is usually killer and we had eclairs?  Really?  

They did eclairs the year Nancy won.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I enjoyed it but fell asleep at the last showstopper bake! I am not a person who can stay up too late so I was glad to make it as far as I did. Who got eliminated at the end? 

Jill, the woman with the multi-colored hair, was sent home.

I never heard of "slab" pie, either--wonder if it is a regional thing? Why not just have them make a round pie?

They have done eclairs in GBBO, as well as other choux pastry--such as the "nun" thing which is basically two cream puffs and a glaze.

8 hours ago, mlp said:

I love Sherry Yard so I was happy to see her.

I'm not familiar with her but I really appreciated that she spoke up and didn't let Hollywood hog all the judging. Paul cuts, Paul serves, Paul tastes first, Paul speaks first.

Maybe I'm just tired of Paul!

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Adiba said:

Jill, the woman with the multi-colored hair, was sent home.

I never heard of "slab" pie, either--wonder if it is a regional thing? Why not just have them make a round pie?

They have done eclairs in GBBO, as well as other choux pastry--such as the "nun" thing which is basically two cream puffs and a glaze.

I know she was but wasn't there a second elimination in the second hour? 

I feel asleep not even into the first half hour so I'll have to catch up.  But I couldn't help wondering why Paul looked so creepy.  I always thought he was handsome but something is definitely off with him this season.

30 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I feel asleep not even into the first half hour so I'll have to catch up.  But I couldn't help wondering why Paul looked so creepy.  I always thought he was handsome but something is definitely off with him this season.

Maybe its the lighting? 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Koalagirl said:

I honestly don't think he enjoys judging the American version of the show; he always seems crankier and somewhat dismissive of the Yanks' efforts.  Not that he's entirely wrong; I think the bakes put out by the Brits are generally superior, too!  He must have a bad memory, though; he told the one baker that he had never had anything like a sweet potato pie, and I distinctly remember a contestant in a past year making one.  

Spoiler

In the preview for next week he also tells someone that he's never had a snickerdoodle, and again, I'm pretty sure an American made a version for a past cookie week.  

• Love 2

I was surprised that the first challenge was coffee cake. That is really basic. It feels like they dumb down this show compared to the British version. Does it seem like all of the contestants are from NY or California? The woman with the really long braids--I was sure her hair was going to end up in the food. Ack. Even in the clip of her at home, her hair was dangling dangerously close to the dessert she was serving her guests. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Was she allowed to tell you who won?  Not that I want to know ahead but just curious.  And how long ago was this filmed? 

She only revealed last week that she was on this show! And no, she has not said a word about who wins. I, too, have a lot of questions about when taping took place but I haven't asked yet -she's been a bit overwhelmed, and had a big viewing party at her house last night. But if I can find anything out about the logistics, I'll share.

• Love 14

Seriously Paul needs to drop 30 lbs then he won't look so grumpy. And stay away from the tanning bed (or whatever he uses). Clearly, he's a nice looking fellow -- just needs a bit of tweaking.

Slab pies are made on GBBO. Loved the ugly jumper idea.

I'm always puzzled by bakers when I hear them say: "I've never made a flourless cake (or whatever)." That is crazy to me. Practice all that shit, people, cuz you know Paul will ask you to make it.

• Love 2

I realize that because this show is (kind of) a spine-off from the GBBO, they have Paul Hollywood as a judge--but it is interesting to me that if an American were a judge on GBBO, a lot of people would be upset. YMMV. Why can't there be two American judges since it is the American show?

And so far I don't really think it has been "dumbed down" so much as the show (GBBO) always seems to get more difficult with each episode (I guess we'll see if this is true for this season).  On the GBBO, they've had bakers do relatively simple things like a drizzle cake, a Madeira cake, victoria sandwich cake etc. for challenges.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Is onion pie even something served in the US?  I don't think technical bakes for foods unknown in this country are really fair.  Although since Paul is so disparaging of American food I can see him pulling this kind of crap.

Was she allowed to tell you who won?  Not that I want to know ahead but just curious.  And how long ago was this filmed?  In one scene they are all bundled up like it's cold but is that just a fake to fit with the holiday theme?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Onion tarts are a thing here(but we use Vidalia sweet onion)  & they're delicious.

• Love 9

Paul has put on a lot of weight & his hair is cropped shorter than usual. 

The comps are not really dumbed down. They are typical American fair though. If you watch GBBO, the earlier seasons had "easy" bakes as well. 

As for the hair-it's tv-they want them all to look a certain way. So wearing the hair down, wearing jewelry, etc is always done on these shows, even though it is against regulation health code.

Slab pies have been around for quite some time. All it means is shallow, instead of the pile high version. Think of having square thin crust pizza instead of deep dish pizza.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, Biggie B said:

She only revealed last week that she was on this show! And no, she has not said a word about who wins. I, too, have a lot of questions about when taping took place but I haven't asked yet -she's been a bit overwhelmed, and had a big viewing party at her house last night. But if I can find anything out about the logistics, I'll share.

when its all over, you need to let us know who she is! 

29 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I realize that because this show is (kind of) a spine-off from the GBBO, they have Paul Hollywood as a judge--but it is interesting to me that if an American were a judge on GBBO, a lot of people would be upset. YMMV. Why can't there be two American judges since it is the American show?

And so far I don't really think it has been "dumbed down" so much as the show (GBBO) always seems to get more difficult with each episode (I guess we'll see if this is true for this season).  On the GBBO, they've had bakers do relatively simple things like a drizzle cake, a Madeira cake, victoria sandwich cake etc. for challenges.

I agree, they have done simpler cakes. And sometimes a simpler cake can trip someone up. 

16 minutes ago, luvapickle said:

Onion tarts are a thing here(but we use Vidalia sweet onion)  & they're delicious.

I thought it looked delicious. Didn't they say its sweet and savory? I love that kind of combination. 

Edited by libgirl2
  • Love 6

Color me giddy with this season.  Of course, I wanted to like it, I was thrilled when they brought it back, and I was so excited that Sherry Yard was judging.

So far...love it.  I love the guy who did the Apres Ski eclairs.  He's adorable.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Adiba said:

Why can't there be two American judges since it is the American show?

Absolutely. Paul is clearly not enjoying it and surely there is an American of Mary Berry's caliber to fill his spot.  Why does it even have to be a man and a woman? 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Absolutely. Paul is clearly not enjoying it and surely there is an American of Mary Berry's caliber to fill his spot.

There have been plenty of American expert bakers on the Best Baker show, many of them men.  If they want a man and a woman a la GBBO, I wouldn't think it would be hard to find someone.

7 hours ago, Biggie B said:

Some of the things these bakers came up with looked awful but perhaps they were delicious. That shallot dish looked inedible to me - no thanks! 

I thought those sounded yummy. I love cooked onions & pies. The 2 of them together? Wonderful idea! I hadn't ever considered it, but wow it sounded great to me. 

that is so cool about your friend. Fingers Xed for her.

• Love 3

OK, I have a bizarre question! At 1:23 in the show, there is an ad for The Chew, at least on my ABC network which comes from Tupelo,MS. Did anyone else catch this? When I saw this last night, I went back to check to see if I was seeing things. Then when I saw no one mention it here and I checked the TV listings and nothing had changed, I thought I was losing my mind and went back and checked again! So, was that just a boo boo, was the show filmed a long time ago before The Chew was cancelled, or what? Please tell me someone else noticed this!!!! Please!!!!

4 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

Maybe its the lighting? 

While I do think Paul looks like he spent too much time on the beach or the tanning bed, I did think there was something weird with the lighting or color balance in the episode which made everyone look a little strange.

I was wondering when this was filmed relative to the last season of GBBO now on Netflix, where Paul looks different.

4 hours ago, rhys said:

Seriously Paul needs to drop 30 lbs then he won't look so grumpy.  

Not quite sure what you mean by this.  I'm the neighbourhood's annual winner of RBF (resting bitch face) and am also regularly told that I need to gain twenty pounds or so.

I just think he's grumpy about being on the show.  He's never made any pretense about not liking American baking (there was the big uproar over making an "American pie" on one of the GBBO shows and his comment was about American pies being being sickly sweet or some such) so I'm not sure why he took the gig.  He was much more pleasant to the contestants on the British versions, even joking with them.  Not so much with this group.

PS I have the natural resting bitch face (downturn to the upper lip at the corners) as well so I can spot a real grump when I see one.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Not quite sure what you mean by this.  I'm the neighbourhood's annual winner of RBF (resting bitch face) and am also regularly told that I need to gain twenty pounds or so.

A few posters said he looked grumpy. I proffered a reason why. He does look a lot better when he smiles.

3 hours ago, OoogleEyes said:

I was thinking the same thing. Where is this filmed, does anyone know?

It showed the name of the U.K. location at the beginning of the episode. Of course, I can’t remember it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

So far...love it.  I love the guy who did the Apres Ski eclairs.  He's adorable.

I used to work with him! He's awesome! (He's the reason I'm watching; I don't usually watch these shows). And he posts yummy-looking things on his facebook page which pop up in my feed every so often. 

• Love 7