Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Cake and Pastry Week

• Start Topic

Do I understand this is filmed in the UK? What a strange idea. 

I was going to complain about the tacky holiday decorations in the tents (assuming this was being done in the US by American set decorators), but I guess not! I love the holiday shows from the GBBO run, the settings and décor are so pretty.

A lot more replies than I was anticipating. So, just an observation. There's a lot of timing mistakes and not baking right, etc. on this show on each season. It strikes me as different than I've seen on other cooking/baking competitions, like they run of out time on here, but many times they seem to have started out with seemingly good time management and something was off with their assumptions on how the baking would occur even though they've clearly been practicing. And then I realized, and I'm not sure why it never jumped out to me before now, this is the only competition show I've ever seen that uses electric and not gas cooking, which is greatly preferred by professional and amateur cooks and bakers alike in the US. I'm definitely thinking it's hampering results.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, dleighg said:

I do not think it is fair to say that gas is preferred for ovens. Stoves, sure, for the more rapid response to changing the heat level, but I don't think that's true for ovens. 

Gas cooking in general is greatly preferred. If you know of a cooking or baking show in recent years in the US that uses electric, please share. I certainly don't watch everything that's on, so I'd like to know that it's really a thing that there's several more well known chefs or bakers that are using electric cooking. Because I've seen it stated repeatedly that gas cooking is the preference and there's a reason all the cooking, baking, and competition shows use gas and there's barely even an HGTV episode of any show that passes without someone saying they like to cook and requesting gas cooking in the next breath. And I'm definitely blanking on the Food Network personality in recent years for instance, that uses electric.

Given the timing issues with going from gas to electric, I can easily see this being the cause of the many missteps that are rather perplexing on this show with people who have very clearly been given an idea if not specific detail of what they are baking ahead of time unlike many competition shows.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 1

I'm a little confused about the questions on where this is being filmed. I didn't see the first couple of minutes. In seasons past they've very clearly shown the UK setting and been very open about that. Did that not happen this season? I don't watch the British version, but always assumed it was the exact same studio/setting.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

On 12/7/2018 at 8:35 AM, Adiba said:

They have done eclairs in GBBO, as well as other choux pastry--such as the "nun" thing which is basically two cream puffs and a glaze.

The nun was more than just two cream puffs -  it was a tower of eclairs.

There were two "nuns"--in one season, it was a technical challenge (make the "two cream puffs & glaze" nun) and in a different season it was a showstopper (make the "tower of eclairs" nun). So, you're both right!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, illdoc said:

There were two "nuns"--in one season, it was a technical challenge (make the "two cream puffs & glaze" nun) and in a different season it was a showstopper (make the "tower of eclairs" nun). So, you're both right!

Right the “ religieuse” is two cream puffs, and the “ religieuse l’ancienne” is the tower of eclairs— at least how they were presented on  two different seasons of GBBO. I think if one knew the basics of making eclairs and profiteroles one could manage those challenges—“American” baker or not.

If I were going to audition for this show, I would be sure to practice making all types of pastry—particularly choux, puff, and short —as well as making pastry cream, all types of merengue and the use of cardamom and passion fruit in baking— and breads because Paul Hollywood is extremely picky when judging them!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

I do not think it is fair to say that gas is preferred for ovens. Stoves, sure, for the more rapid response to changing the heat level, but I don't think that's true for ovens. 

I agree. I have a dual-fuel range specifically because I prefer gas for cooking and electric convection for baking and I believe that is fairly common. I wonder if the cooktops on this show are induction, rather than electric. Induction does respond much more quickly than electric, as I understand it, and I have seen cooking shows that use it.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yes, but usually they're more complicated than just "make two kinds of eclairs".  Personally I want to see them try to make nuns out of those eclairs.

The GBBS did a flat out eclair showstopper on the season with Richard, the builder and Martha.  Richard made an "eclair stair" to show them on and was going to use it as steps for his chickens when he was done.

They did the wrapped pastries for the signature and the "Queen Aman" (I don't know how to actually spell it...it's the Breton crispy, flaky pastry done in a cupcake tin) for the technical.

40 minutes ago, Destiny74 said:

The GBBS did a flat out eclair showstopper on the season with Richard, the builder and Martha.  Richard made an "eclair stair" to show them on and was going to use it as steps for his chickens when he was done.

Yep, I remember that as well.

1 hour ago, Destiny74 said:

Richard, the builder and Martha.  Richard made an "eclair stair" to show them on and was going to use it as steps for his chickens when he was done.

Man, I miss those days.  Anyone know where the incredibly smart and talented Martha is now?

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, rhys said:

Does an induction cooktop cool quickly as well as heat quickly? I'm totally unfamiliar with them.

I would think so as the whole point is that it actually heats the pot directly rather than heating the stove surface. Pot gone, heat gone.

the whole discussion of the Kouign-Amann makes me remember (I think) that there was a technical in one of the many seasons that was some sort of special custard that was cooked in a special mold (sort of like mini-cupcakes, but fancier). I looked up a recipe and did it a couple years ago (it involved a 24 hour fermentation/resting period -- which makes me wonder if actually was this show :) ) 

Does this ring any bells? I'd love to look it up again and make it (as I bought something sort of like the mold-- but different)

3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Doesn't sound familiar.  I don't recall them doing anything that required a 24 hour fermentation.

yeah I know. Trying to think where else I could have heard of this thing. Unless their version didn't need it.

57 minutes ago, dleighg said:

the whole discussion of the Kouign-Amann makes me remember (I think) that there was a technical in one of the many seasons that was some sort of special custard that was cooked in a special mold (sort of like mini-cupcakes, but fancier). I looked up a recipe and did it a couple years ago (it involved a 24 hour fermentation/resting period -- which makes me wonder if actually was this show :) ) 

I remember a bread dough that needed to be made the night before, and the entire recipe took nearly the rest of the following day. I don't remember any more specifics, though, and I'm positive that was the last time the show did that.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, meep.meep said:
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I've never seen an American baking personality of her caliber.

Sylvia Weinstock

Elizabeth Faulkner

Dorie Greenspan

Nancy Silverton.  Mary's great but she's not the Queen of All Things Baked.

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

I remember a bread dough that needed to be made the night before, and the entire recipe took nearly the rest of the following day. I don't remember any more specifics, though, and I'm positive that was the last time the show did that.

I remember that. They got to start it the night before, right? Then they went out drinking (off to bed)!

• Love 1

I wonder if the bakers are given a chance for a test run in the tent kitchen?  It would certainly help to know if the show ovens run hotter or colder than the oven you are used to using.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

They did the wrapped pastries for the signature and the "Queen Aman" (I don't know how to actually spell it...it's the Breton crispy, flaky pastry done in a cupcake tin) for the technical.

I just watched that episode!  (Thank goodness for Netflix), and the showstopper was to make 24 eclairs, two different flavors of 12. So, just like the one on this episode. 

• Love 1

Finally got to watch.

What looks different about Paul imo is the purple around his eyes in some shots. Like he put on purple mascara and had a good cry.

The long hair doesn't bother me too much but I have a hard time looking at people with nose rings.

I thought the shallot tart looked scrummy and might try it with store -bought puff pastry.

Edited by ABay
Fucking autocorrect
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, Mittengirl said:

I wonder if the bakers are given a chance for a test run in the tent kitchen?  It would certainly help to know if the show ovens run hotter or colder than the oven you are used to using.

I read somewhere (?) that the contestants are given a run-through of the kitchen before filming starts, which is fair, imo.  Don't know if they are actually allowed to bake something in those ovens beforehand, though. Wonder if they can bring oven thermometers with them to see if the ovens are calibrated?

I also wonder about the differences in any ingredients in the UK--are our large eggs the same size as theirs? What about butter--is it the same, re: fat content and moisture? These may seem like silly questions, but I am just a home baker who generally bakes simple things like cookies, brownies, pies, etc.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Adiba said:

I also wonder about the differences in any ingredients in the UK--are our large eggs the same size as theirs? What about butter--is it the same, re: fat content and moisture? These may seem like silly questions, but I am just a home baker who generally bakes simple things like cookies, brownies, pies, etc.

European butter usually has a slightly higher percentage of butterfat: US is around 82/83 percent, and Euro butter is 84/85. It makes a difference—when you leave out Euro butter it doesn't fall apart at room temperature the way US butter can—but I think for the recipes they bakers are given, the percentage doesn't cause problems. 

Most baking recipes have a certain amount of forgiveness when it comes to ingredients, so I think that any differences only minimally affect the finished product. They're using all Euro products, I'd think, so everything is meant to work together. 

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Adiba said:

These may seem like silly questions, but I am just a home baker who generally bakes simple things like cookies, brownies, pies, etc.

Plus they reference different types of sugar (caster, icing, etc.), flour (strong, plain, pastry), and cream (double, single) so how do those compare to what we have in the US?  Or at least are used to using in our baking?  I'm sure there are equivalents - I think icing sugar is supposed to be the same as confectioners - but is it exactly the same?

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

European butter usually has a slightly higher percentage of butterfat: US is around 82/83 percent, and Euro butter is 84/85. It makes a difference—when you leave out Euro butter it doesn't fall apart at room temperature the way US butter can—but I think for the recipes they bakers are given, the percentage doesn't cause problems. 

It always (or almost always) looks to me like the bakers are using cold butter. I realize it's recipe dependent, but I just don't recall room temp butter.

In one of the other threads on GBBO, there was a fun topic of English vs American vs other countries recipes & techniques.

• Love 1

Strong flour is what the US calls bread flour. It has a higher protein count for better gluten development. Double cream is likely heavy cream, but again, there might be some difference in butterfat.

Edited by dubbel zout
typo
  • Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:42 AM, jcbrown said:

I will likely never go on a reality show because (among other reasons) I know I tend to have all the charisma of Al Gore when you point a camera at me. But! I am watching the first two episodes of the American version of this and so far, contestants have said they have never made flourless cake, meringue, and tarte tatin. Okay, sure, maybe if you are an average person, but you're competing on a baking show! I have made each of those things and more than once! What have you been doing?

I've said this about a show like Survivor. How do you not learn some basic survival skills, like building a fire or shelter. Same applies here. Learn you some pastry dough n'stuffs.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 7:36 AM, kj4ever said:

It makes me wonder about how long the American vs. British versions take to film.  I know the British show films once a week, which means the contest last at least 2 months.  I don't think many people could leave their lives totally for 2 months, let alone for a contest with no real monetary prize, so I wonder if the American version films faster.  It also would be much easier to practice at your home rather than a hotel or where ever they stay.  I wonder if that's the key to why the American version pales in comparison?

On a totally shallow note, I do so enjoy the UK version for the accents. They're just so darn charming.

• Love 5
On 12/7/2018 at 1:54 PM, Destiny74 said:

Color me giddy with this season.  Of course, I wanted to like it, I was thrilled when they brought it back, and I was so excited that Sherry Yard was judging.

So far...love it.  I love the guy who did the Apres Ski eclairs.  He's adorable.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:55 PM, ams1001 said:

I used to work with him! He's awesome! (He's the reason I'm watching; I don't usually watch these shows). And he posts yummy-looking things on his facebook page which pop up in my feed every so often. 

That's my husband! Where do you know him from, @ams1001? He made the hot toddy eclairs again for the group we had over to watch the show, and I had them when he was testing recipes before filming--can confirm that they were DELICIOUS (of course, I'm a little biased...). He's working on a website to post recipes, but I will give a shameless plug to his Instagram, https://www.instagram.com/bakesbyjason/, where he posts most of what he makes.

• Love 19
On 12/10/2018 at 12:26 PM, proserpina65 said:

Oooookay.  I would never describe pecans that way.  And I've eaten a lot of them.

I've eaten a lot too and the ones that are bad taste kind of earthy and woody, not the good ones, at least in my experience.

As to "the show's been on forever, shouldn't people have..." people still show up on Amazing Race who can't drive a stick shift, which is Rule 1A after "always know where your passport is" so....but I do agree. That female contestant who pulled out the second recipe when the first one went completely sideways was a champ.

Edited by ML89
  • Love 8
21 hours ago, Lady Iris said:

I've said this about a show like Survivor. How do you not learn some basic survival skills, like building a fire or shelter. 

Or how to swim!

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 1
On 12/9/2018 at 4:30 PM, illdoc said:

For some reason, I think it also has a longer timeslot (i.e. 1 hour, 15 (or 30) min, so they have commercials but the actual show is still an hour (watched on Netflix--runs about an hour without commercials)).

I believe that is the case.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, meep.meep said:

Sylvia Weinstock

Elizabeth Faulkner

Dorie Greenspan

Has Dorie Greenspan ever done tv?  I don't consider her, Sylvia Weinstock or Nancy Silverton "personalities" although they are definitely baking authorities, and I suppose any of them could be good on television.  I was really going more for the tv personality aspect of it - no American I've seen on tv comes close to Mary Berry's authority.  Elizabeth Faulkner is, I find, incredibly abrasive on tv.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, JasmineFlower said:

A lot more replies than I was anticipating. So, just an observation. There's a lot of timing mistakes and not baking right, etc. on this show on each season. It strikes me as different than I've seen on other cooking/baking competitions, like they run of out time on here, but many times they seem to have started out with seemingly good time management and something was off with their assumptions on how the baking would occur even though they've clearly been practicing. And then I realized, and I'm not sure why it never jumped out to me before now, this is the only competition show I've ever seen that uses electric and not gas cooking, which is greatly preferred by professional and amateur cooks and bakers alike in the US. I'm definitely thinking it's hampering results.

It seems to me that the bakers on the Great British Baking Show have more time, at least for their showstoppers, but it's been awhile since the last season shown on PBS so I could be mistaken.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:09 PM, irisheyes said:

I just watched that episode!  (Thank goodness for Netflix), and the showstopper was to make 24 eclairs, two different flavors of 12. So, just like the one on this episode. 

I forgot about that one.  Clearly the giant nun stood out more in my mind.  I still think, in general, the show stoppers on GBBO are more complicated, but probably because those contestants get to go home and practice every week.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't consider her, Sylvia Weinstock or Nancy Silverton "personalities" although they are definitely baking authorities, and I suppose any of them could be good on television. 

I consider Mary a baking authority, not a personality, so I see no difference in Silverton or Weinstock becoming judges. You want people who are knowledgeable about the baking techniques. 

If you want a "personality", look at the hacks on some of the FN shows like that abomination Ree Drummond.  Dumb as a box of rocks but is introduced as though she's worthy of judging a competition.

If I were a contestant, I'd want someone who knows the hell what baking entails and can give coherent criticism.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

I consider Mary a baking authority, not a personality, so I see no difference in Silverton or Weinstock becoming judges. You want people who are knowledgeable about the baking techniques. 

If you want a "personality", look at the hacks on some of the FN shows like that abomination Ree Drummond.  Dumb as a box of rocks but is introduced as though she's worthy of judging a competition.

If I were a contestant, I'd want someone who knows the hell what baking entails and can give coherent criticism.

I want a combination of both, which is what I consider Mary Berry, so I do see a difference.  Doesn't mean I don't enjoy this version, just a bit less so.  I do wish they'd stop trying to force the holiday theme, though.

22 minutes ago, TimetoShine said:

I feel bad because I couldn’t stop staring at Sherry’s teeth. 

I haven't noticed. I just googled pix of her & her teeth look fine but I guess that could be photo magic. What do you see with her teeth?