Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E10: Flamingos and a Dance-Based Exercise Class

paulvdb

They seem to be making Christie as more the reprobate this season than Bonnie.   Maybe it's realistic that people who have addiction issues fall off any of the wagons easier than people without addiction problems.   

Gotta say that I always crack up when they show the house with all the cats all over the place (that's how my house used to look when I had both a house and 12 cats).   And LOVE that chef with the acid attitude, where Christie works.   Only thing is, when she's around him she seems more like 12 than 40 in how he can lead her down the primrose path.  

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, msani19 said:

I'm starting to really agree with this idea. 

27 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

This Bonnie-Adam wedding ain't happenin', guys. 

I was thinking they are saving it for the season finale. I am behind on a couple of episodes, so maybe something happened?

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Is William Fichtner doing something else this season? He's been absent from the last few episodes. 

Yes they are starting another season of Prison Break plus something else, too. So he is really busy and that is probably why we're not seeing much of him. 

1 hour ago, LadyKenobi said:

So great to see French Stewart again. He's fantastic in this role. I wish he'd show up more.

I thought we were being fed an old re-run when the scene opened with him. So glad it wasn't and he is back, even if only occasionally.

• Love 5

I thought we were being fed an old re-run when the scene opened with him.

I was a little surprised that Christie is still working at the restaurant since she was just offered a paying job at a law firm last week. Maybe the new position hasn't started yet - did they specify it would only be a summer job? I can't remember. I think the internship was for the summer but the offer made to her didn't seem like seasonal or temporary employment. Kind of made me wonder if this episode aired out of order.

• Love 3

Think maybe new chick was brought on to REPLACE ADAM??? They seem to be seriously edging him out. He's only been on this season what?  Twice? For someone who is engaged to be married, planning a life together and allegedly sleeping together on the regular, we never ever see him anymore.

Remember the time, waaay back in season 4, when we thought of Adam as an interloper? When we didn't like him? When we thought he took away from the ladies? Now we're all like "where the fork is ADAM???"

This show is getting 'meh-er' and 'meh-er' to me. I feel disloyal saying this  (since I still watch - and own, bought with money mind you - the older seasons of the show), but this s**t is getting forking boring. New chick is boring, storylines are boring. No Adam = boring. It's just not that good anymore. What are they gonna do next? How are they gonna screw with Christie next? She can't have one good thing without two or three bad things.

Really missed French Stewart. Seeing him reminded me of my favorite Season two episode. The one where he and bonnie slept together and he made the monumentally stupid mistake of trying to screw her over. That was fun.

This wasn't. Was barely worth watching.

Good parts

1. Marjorie doing Jazzercise - and being too sore to walk the next day

2. New girl (why can't I remember her damn NAME??) stalking her date. In an Uber. And the UBER DRIVER asking her out!

The rest was crap.

• Love 2

OK, I know this is a divisive subject, but I'm officially teamTammy. Her whole storyline had me laughing my ass off. 

Which is good because I'm not really into the "how miserable can we make Christy" season, I mean the show literally had her standing in the rain trying to light a smoke. Though I did like Marjorie's "when I was five years sober story" (I love Marjorie).

• Love 20
2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

This show is getting 'meh-er' and 'meh-er' to me. I feel disloyal saying this  (since I still watch - and own, bought with money mind you - the older seasons of the show), but this s**t is getting forking boring. New chick is boring, storylines are boring. No Adam = boring. It's just not that good anymore. What are they gonna do next? How are they gonna screw with Christie next? She can't have one good thing without two or three bad things.

Really missed French Stewart. Seeing him reminded me of my favorite Season two episode. The one where he and bonnie slept together and he made the monumentally stupid mistake of trying to screw her over. That was fun.

I agree about the show getting 'meh-er' and 'meh-er'. Tammy makes me cringe sometimes with her behavior but I like her in smaller doses. It does seem like they keep having Christie screw up more then she has anything good happen. It used to be that Bonnie was the more screwed up one and now that seems to have been reversed somewhat.  

I thought they might have French Stewart and Kristen Johnston end up in a scene together. I'm hoping they are saving that for the future. I really missed French too and would think about him everytime they've shown Christie working in the restaurant.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Gotta say that I always crack up when they show the house with all the cats all over the place (that's how my house used to look when I had both a house and 12 cats).   

I couldn't figure out if Bonnie was trying to move that cat or give it a massage. I also wondered how much sedation it took to get a cat to be that catatonic on camera.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was a little surprised that Christie is still working at the restaurant since she was just offered a paying job at a law firm last week. Maybe the new position hasn't started yet - did they specify it would only be a summer job? I can't remember. I think the internship was for the summer but the offer made to her didn't seem like seasonal or temporary employment. Kind of made me wonder if this episode aired out of order.

I thought the new position was a summer job. Maybe it starts in the summer and then continues through the rest of the year. If it does start in the summer, maybe that's when the person who currently has the job is leaving. 

I just liked that they finally confirmed they live in Napa while eating at the diner. I know there's been some debate about that. 

I too second having French Stewart and Kristen Johnston in a scene together. 

• Love 8

I don't miss Adam. I don't hate him when he's there, but I don't miss him when he's gone, either.

I don't like French Stewart's character, but I LOVE the idea of him and Tammy together.

I don't mind seeing Christy struggle with different addictions. I think it's really true for a lot of people, that it isn't just about the substance they're addicted to, but there's also a component of addiction itself as a pattern. And I liked her conversation with Marjorie. I really like Marjorie.

A scene with Jazzercise + Marjorie will make any episode memorable. I hope that wasn't a one-off.

I do not have any cats right now, but I would like to visit Marjorie's place and spend time with hers.

• Love 1

What *is* a little weird about the smoking thing is that AA groups are notoriously filled with smokers. It seems to be the one drug they all accept.

Tammy and Bonnie sitting in the car outside the guy's house reminded me of Cybill and MaryAnn sitting outside Dr Dick's house in CYBILL.

• Love 6

OK, I know this is a divisive subject, but I'm officially teamTammy. Her whole storyline had me laughing my ass off.

She's definitely growing on me. I found the fact that she thought to bring Bonnie breadsticks from the Olive Garden was rather endearing.

I thought the new position was a summer job. Maybe it starts in the summer and then continues through the rest of the year.

The position she was vying for was a summer internship. She didn't get that job, but the professor offered her a paid position. He did not specify whether it was also only summer employment or otherwise short-term. He just said they were offering her a paid positing.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, wendyg said:

What *is* a little weird about the smoking thing is that AA groups are notoriously filled with smokers. It seems to be the one drug they all accept.

I can understand why some might feel that way, but at my home group for every smoker outside puffing away, there's 4 alkies inside the actual meeting place.

7 hours ago, SirFilligryFlirt said:

And caffeine... Good God.. The caffeine.  

Whether its coffee, tea, Coke or Diet Coke, this is so true.

• Love 1
On 12/7/2018 at 2:13 PM, LadyKenobi said:

This Bonnie-Adam wedding ain't happenin', guys. 

I hope you are right. I don't want to see married Bonnie and Adam fight and make up all the time. It takes away from the other phenomenal moments of the rest of the cast. 

Edited by bichonblitz
spelling

Hollywood must be full of smokers; they always act like you can cover the smell with some mouthwash and Fabreze.

Smokers: non-smokers KNOW. Smoke is in your clothes, your hair, and your breath (even with mouthwash). Especially if you're smoking in a CAR (which will smell too). You may not smell it, but we do.

• Love 13

Is CA a state (like MA, where I live) where smoking indoors in a public place is basically banned? You can't do it in a way that blocks an entrance, either. I think that influences how norms work in groups.

I liked that Bonnie smelled the smoke immediately. I agree that non-smokers are not even remotely fooled by mouthwash or other cover up attempts.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Is CA a state (like MA, where I live) where smoking indoors in a public place is basically banned? You can't do it in a way that blocks an entrance, either. I think that influences how norms work in groups.

I liked that Bonnie smelled the smoke immediately. I agree that non-smokers are not even remotely fooled by mouthwash or other cover up attempts.

Yes.  There has been no smoking indoors in California since the ‘90s. Also have to be more then 25 (i think) feet from any building entrance 

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, jewel21 said:

I just liked that they finally confirmed they live in Napa while eating at the diner. I know there's been some debate about that. 

They've been talking about living in Napa and Sonoma County since season 1.

• Love 4

I've always liked Adam and I don't want him to disappear. I hate sitcoms where none of the main characters is allowed to have a successful relationship because it would ruin the wacky living arrangements. And the show has already killed off one of Bonnie's more serious love interests. Also: show needs a bit of testosterone. So I'm hoping Adam's reduced on-screen time is simply caused by Fichtner's other commitments (another season of PB??? Really???).

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Aliconehead said:

Yes.  There has been no smoking indoors in California since the ‘90s. Also have to be more then 25 (i think) feet from any building entrance 

I live in a state with a similar rule and but people will break that rule if it's a hidden entrance, a small venue or a smoke-heavy crowd where there's safety in numbers.  Of course, I live in a colder climate which is when that rule is most likely to be broken and they won't move until told to move. 

While Marjorie talking about how she didn't like Adam initially made me wonder, I do think Adam and Bonnie will get married if William F is willing to stick around.  Mom is pretty much built to withstand the absence of all supporting characters as long as Bonnie and Christy are around.  Not forever (unless you work at the restaurant or are kids) but for an episode or episodes at a time.

• Love 3
On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 7:57 PM, eel2178 said:

I couldn't figure out if Bonnie was trying to move that cat or give it a massage. I also wondered how much sedation it took to get a cat to be that catatonic on camera.

My Grammy had female Russian Blue who was that laid back.  That cat was the most chill cat I'd ever seen - and I've been a crazy cat lady for a looooong time.

• Love 2

I mostly agree with the comments that the show is getting meh-er and meh-er, but I think there have been two big exceptions from this season - the puzzle club episode (which was probably one of the best this show has ever done), and Victor's death.

• Love 2

I think the show is as funny and sharp as ever. Love Adam, love Bonnie and Adam together, and love love love Tammy! Kristen Johnson is killing it,  I hope to see an Emmy nom in her future for this role. And it's always great to see Chef Rudy!

• Love 9

I haven't thought the show was losing steam at all. I've been happy that they keep introducing new angles on recovery. They had a real opportunity to oversimplify or keep hitting the same notes, and they haven't done that.

I do still wish they'd do more with Wendy, though. I'm okay with Tammy, but it bothers me that they've introduced a whole new player instead of developing one of the ensemble members who's been there all along and gotten very little to do other than act as a background chorus or punching bag.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, possibilities said:

I do still wish they'd do more with Wendy, though. I'm okay with Tammy, but it bothers me that they've introduced a whole new player instead of developing one of the ensemble members who's been there all along and gotten very little to do other than act as a background chorus or punching bag.

Wendy didn't appear until season three, although I do agree with you that she is underutilized. I want to know more of her back story. Last year's opening had her being handcuffed while wearing scrubs. Did she get a DUI while driving to work? Did she steal drugs from the hospital? Did she try to forge a prescription? Enquiring minds want to know.

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I doubt she'd still have her nursing license if it was either of those two!

I had a coworker who stole a doctor's prescription pad, wrote prescriptions for patients she had previously taken care of, and took them to the pharmacy to fill them. When the pharmacist questioned it she tried to say she was doing the family a favor and picking it up for them. She got away with it a least once, then got arrested. Her license was suspended. She was supposed to appear before the nursing board to explain how she intended to rehabilitate herself in order to keep her license. She never showed up for the hearing, so then they revoked her license saying, "She didn't appear interested in continuing her nursing career." If she had shown up with a proper plan, she would still have her license, although it might have some restrictions on it.

15 hours ago, eel2178 said:

Wendy didn't appear until season three, although I do agree with you that she is underutilized. I want to know more of her back story. Last year's opening had her being handcuffed while wearing scrubs. Did she get a DUI while driving to work? Did she steal drugs from the hospital? Did she try to forge a prescription? Enquiring minds want to know.

She mentioned on one episode about being a nurse and easy access to drugs.

14 hours ago, illdoc said:

I doubt she'd still have her nursing license if it was either of those two!

You can get it back if you can prove that you have been clean for a certain amount of time, and prove you're receiving treatment.  Someone in one of my husband's AA groups was a nurse who was stealing drugs and got her license back eventually.  I'm not mentioning names, locations, specifics, etc, so I'm not breaking anonymity.  I met her at an open AA meeting I attended.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I'm surprised to hear that Wendy was not in the group from the beginning. I remember she used to cry all the time.

Well, remember that at the beginning the show had both kids in every episode plus the restaurant staff including French Stewart and the married boss Christy was sleeping with, *and* Baxter sometimes. That was already a large cast for a sitcom. Marjorie was introduced very early on, but both Wendy and Jill weren't introduced until season 2 and didn't become regulars until season 3.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

Didn't they always go to meetings, though? It's been so long, I guess I can't rely on  my memory.

Yes they did, but in the early seasons it was the bigger group meetings with the podium that they still show sometimes, not the smaller women's group that they show more often now. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, wendyg said:

Well, remember that at the beginning the show had both kids in every episode plus the restaurant staff including French Stewart and the married boss Christy was sleeping with, *and* Baxter sometimes. That was already a large cast for a sitcom. Marjorie was introduced very early on, but both Wendy and Jill weren't introduced until season 2 and didn't become regulars until season 3.

The first two seasons also included Regina occasionally.  Wendy was added just as Regina was being written off. 

You can get it back if you can prove that you have been clean for a certain amount of time, and prove you're receiving treatment.  Someone in one of my husband's AA groups was a nurse who was stealing drugs and got her license back eventually.  I'm not mentioning names, locations, specifics, etc, so I'm not breaking anonymity.

It happened on Nurse Jackie too!

• Love 3

I only just got into this show this year. Binge Watched the whole series. Really got into it. I think it portrays addiction issues in such a fresh and funny way. Some have critisied the shoe for getting rid of Christie’s kids. But I like a sitcom that evolves. And shows more Angles. A shift to the recovery group is smart. I liked seeing Violet again too. I get ppl dislike her heavily. But she is one of those good principle characters you see in Sitcoms. Adds more dimensions to Christie’s Character.

And I agree Christie has probably replaced Bonnie as the reprobate this season. Which I like. Smoking is a minor fallback. I’ve always like Adam. I think his reduced screen time is to do with Prison Break yes. The wedding may not happen this year. 

• Love 2
On December 9, 2018 at 2:04 PM, MaryMitch said:

Hollywood must be full of smokers; they always act like you can cover the smell with some mouthwash and Fabreze.

Smokers: non-smokers KNOW. Smoke is in your clothes, your hair, and your breath (even with mouthwash). Especially if you're smoking in a CAR (which will smell too). You may not smell it, but we do.

It's true. Like the Febreeze commercials say, being 'nose blind' is real. 

• Love 4
On 12/9/2018 at 4:10 PM, Aliconehead said:

In North Carolina, smokers are supposed to be 50 feet from entrances, but NOBODY reads the signs. I love having to walk through clouds of smoke to get to the store or restaurant I’m trying to visit. 🤮

On 12/9/2018 at 7:36 PM, MissLucas said:

I've always liked Adam and I don't want him to disappear. I hate sitcoms where none of the main characters is allowed to have a successful relationship because it would ruin the wacky living arrangements. And the show has already killed off one of Bonnie's more serious love interests. Also: show needs a bit of testosterone. So I'm hoping Adam's reduced on-screen time is simply caused by Fichtner's other commitments (another season of PB??? Really???).

I was so sad when they killed off Bonnie’s love Alvin (Kevin Pollak). I really like Adam (William Fichtner) - doesn’t matter to me if they get married or not - we really need more male characters! I also liked Baxter (Matt Jones) and Roscoe (Blake Garrett Rosenthal), and hoped they could “check in” once in awhile.  Candace (the delightful Sara Rue) was great to be a stepmom to Roscoe, and put Baxter on the straight and narrow. Also, I *LOVE* Chef Rudy (French Stewart) and Paul (Reggie De Leon), and wish we had more scenes with them! I really liked Adam’s brother Patrick (Steven Weber) and was hoping the “brothers” could be on the show more often. 

On 12/9/2018 at 5:02 PM, eel2178 said:

They've been talking about living in Napa and Sonoma County since season 1.

Where have I been??? I knew they were in California, but didn’t know where! Thanks! 

• Love 1

Did anyone notice they didn’t say “Flamingos”?  You know how whatever the episode title is, they always say it somewhere in the course of the show. I had it on DVR and went back to rewatch it, and still no “flamingoes”.  Thanks! 

Edited by AuntDar8
Misspelled word
On 12/13/2018 at 1:33 AM, possibilities said:

Didn't they always go to meetings, though? It's been so long, I guess I can't rely on  my memory.

Not sure about Wendy, but Jill's first meeting is in the first ep we meet her.

On 12/14/2018 at 12:02 AM, BrianGriffin17 said:

I liked seeing Violet again too. I get ppl dislike her heavily. But she is one of those good principle characters you see in Sitcoms. Adds more dimensions to Christie’s Character.

That's one reason I maintain my unpopular opinion of wanting the kids around, at least a bit. I love the overall shift to the AA ladies, but Christy's a much more sympathetic character as a mom, and part of the whole dynamic has always been that yeah Bonnie failed her, but she failed her kids too. That's a HUGE part of so many people's stories in AA and I think the show is missing out on a lot of material by abandoning their parent/child relationship nearly completely. I'd hoped to see them all grow together.

Edited by Judi Sunshine
39 minutes ago, Judi Sunshine said:

That's one reason I maintain my unpopular opinion of wanting the kids around, at least a bit. I love the overall shift to the AA ladies, but Christy's a much more sympathetic character as a mom, and part of the whole dynamic has always been that yeah Bonnie failed her, but she failed her kids too. That's a HUGE part of so many people's stories in AA and I think the show is missing out on a lot of material by abandoning their parent/child relationship nearly completely. I'd hoped to see them all grow together.

I agree. They taken away everything that made Christy sympathetic. When the show started she was a single mom working as hard as she could to support her family and stay sober. Now we never see her with her kids or at work and only occasionally see her at school. They say she’s still broke but she lives rent free and her last two cars were given to her. Law School is expensive but between her full time job, tips and financial aid she should be able to pay back Jill $75 a  month without bitching and moaning. The only time she has been sympathetic the season was the Violet episode.