Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: All Alone

• Start Topic

Midge and Rose begin planning for Midge's future as Benjamin attempts to impress Abe. Joel stresses over his next move, while Abe is presented with some big decisions of his own. Meanwhile, Susie tries to smooth things over for Midge.

I love the Lenny Bruce character and the guy playing him, but I don't find him particularly funny any time he's on stage.  The final bit with Steve Allen was actually quite depressing and I had a hard time with the audience actually laughing at some of the "jokes".  Are any of his routines in the show taken from the real Lenny Bruce?

• Love 10

I love the Lenny Bruce character too! 

I also want to go on tour with Midge and Shay. I hope we get to go on that tour and see their friendship and the process of Midge breaking out. 

I wonder how Susie is going to manage the tour and her new implied commitment to manage Sophie. If we thought Sophie was angry before, I imagine it would pale in comparison to what would happen if Susie changed her mind about managing her. The way the actress is playing the role of Sophie? I get the feeling she would be stiff and stilted in the great dramatic and tragic roles. That she does well with Sophie from Queens because she disdains the persona. It is actually a brilliant character choice by the actress playing the part. It makes her feel real. 

• Love 8

I was so irritated by the Joel stuff. I thought after Susie read him for filth in the Season 1 finale, it meant they weren't going to try to keep making him be such a focus. Or redeeming him. Or having Midge go back to him instead of to any one of the other, far more interesting dudes she has in her orbit. HE STOLE BOB NEWHART"S ACT, MIDGE. 

It reminds me a little of what ASP did with Christopher in Gilmore Girls, an ex, who is very disappointing, that the main female character is inexplicably still attached to. (Although I think the rebound marriage thing between Lorelai and Christopher happened after ASP had left the show)- regardless, the torch for that dude burned a long, long time. 

Also, Shy Baldwin is a great show biz name. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 23
29 minutes ago, Pogojoco said:

It reminds me a little of what ASP did with Christopher in Gilmore Girls, an ex, who is very disappointing, that the main female character is inexplicably still attached to. (Although I think the rebound marriage thing between Lorelai and Christopher happened after ASP had left the show)- regardless, the torch for that dude burned a long, long time.

YES, Joel is totally Christopher. 

• Love 11

They managed to pack a lot into the finale without making it feel rushed or overstuffed.

Loved the club owner/manager's axiom: Life is basically an all you can eat shit show.

Loved the Zombies closing song, "This Will Be Our Year": "Took a long time to come . . ."

I hope Lenny Bruce doesn't die next season. 

Even though Midge declared she would not be having "3 before thirty," birth control was not state of the art in 1959. And if she discovers she's pregnant while she's in Europe, she won't know if it's Benjamin's or Joel's. And meanwhile there'd likely be a gossip column speculation about an interracial baby, which could thwart poor Shy's career. 

Finally. A show as tightly written as Breaking Bad.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They managed to pack a lot into the finale without making it feel rushed or overstuffed.

Loved the club owner/manager's axiom: Life is basically an all you can eat shit show.

Loved the Zombies closing song, "This Will Be Our Year": "Took a long time to come . . ."

Even though Midge declared she would not be having "3 before thirty," birth control was not state of the art in 1959. And if she discovers she's pregnant while she's in Europe, she won't know if it's Benjamin's or Joel's. And meanwhile there'd likely be a gossip column speculation about an interracial baby, which could thwart poor Shy's career. 

Finally. A show as tightly written as Breaking Bad.

Man, will I be pissed if they add a pregnancy next season. I love that Midge is unabashedly hungry and career focused, and I hope the show continues to concentrate on that, and not will-she-choose-Joel-or-Benjamin trope. And obviously, is that even a choice? I’d like to see a lot less Joel (and no Shirley and Moishe next season). It would be interesting to see if Benjamin is truly as ‘evolved’ as they have portrayed him this season, and is actually on board with Midge’s career, and, likely fame.

• Love 17
3 hours ago, rlc said:

Man, will I be pissed if they add a pregnancy next season. I love that Midge is unabashedly hungry and career focused, and I hope the show continues to concentrate on that, and not will-she-choose-Joel-or-Benjamin trope. And obviously, is that even a choice? I’d like to see a lot less Joel (and no Shirley and Moishe next season). It would be interesting to see if Benjamin is truly as ‘evolved’ as they have portrayed him this season, and is actually on board with Midge’s career, and, likely fame.

I also hope Midge will at least ask Benjamin if he'd mind postponing the wedding...or coming with her...anything so that she'd know for sure if he's really okay with the 'weird' everything, and not just assume either way. 

• Love 19

I admit.  I don't know a lot about Lenny Bruce.  I saw the movie "Lenny" with Dustin Hoffman when it came out.  I knew how he died.  Knew he had a daughter, who dated Freddie Prince in the 70's by the way, but that was it.  When the Lenny character began to sing on this episode I was dubious as I'd never heard that Lenny Bruce sang.  I googled "did Lee Bruce sing", with no results, so I chalked it up to the shows poetic license.  I just opened google and since that was my last search...... saw a hit for "lennybruce,org" touted as the "only website approved by Kitty Bruce" (his daughter).  There is a clip of him singing "All Alone"!  So I surely don't know everything!

• Useful 2
  • Love 12

My mother was about Midge's age and had a similar family in a nearby area. She wanted to be an actress, but never did. But I kept thinking throughout last season and this that the Maisel's were better off
until this episode:
     [Rose] Colombia owns our apartment, Abe.
     [Abe] Yes they do.
     [Rose] So, what do we do? Move in with Miriam and Benjamin?
Rachel Brosnahan has the same body type and hair as my mom too, but she really is the spitting image of my dear departed high school friend, who, like RB, was from a Catholic family north of Chicago, heh.
Anyway, I keep wondering if I'm watching my mom in an alternate universe.

2 hours ago, kathe5133 said:

When the Lenny character began to sing on this episode I was dubious as I'd never heard that Lenny Bruce sang.  I googled "did Lee Bruce sing", with no results, so I chalked it up to the shows poetic license. . . [but then] saw . . . a clip of him singing "All Alone"! 

I thought the same and didn't find it either!
But here it is.
So poignant:

So, almost no poetic license after all--except Midge's face watching--amplifying what we feel as we know she's considering the same path.

3 hours ago, HouseofBeck said:

I also hope Midge will at least ask Benjamin if he'd mind postponing the wedding...or coming with her...anything so that she'd know for sure if he's really okay with the 'weird' everything, and not just assume either way. 

Yes, but no. If she was considering anything other than being alone, I think* she would've gone to Benjamin's, not Joel's.
*My perspective is that of a mother of 3 who has been alone for 35 years (since my youngest was Esther's age).

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 12

Hey, Lorelai chose to sleep with Christopher in the season 6 finale.  Oh... wait.. um... not quite.. but still.  I'm equally out. Nothing about the closing moments of this season made me want to come back for season 3.  Why is this a well that ASP feels the need to keep coming back to?

• Love 12
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I think the argument @Browndog319 was making was that we would not question a man  - as the typical breadwinner of the family, especially in the 50's - to leave his family for 6 months if his work required it.  While I agree that Joel leaving was a misguided attempt to "find himself", Midge is pursuing an important step in her career. 

Truthfully I have problems with both.  I understand wanting as much as possible out of life and careers .. just dont have children until you're done figuring shit out.

I dont think we'll ever see eye to eye on this so let's go back to discussing how fun the show is and how much we love it :)

• Love 11
5 hours ago, ChlcGirl said:

Truthfully I have problems with both.  I understand wanting as much as possible out of life and careers .. just dont have children until you're done figuring shit out.

I actually agree with both sides of this, and hate the way the children are treated, especially when they're so young.  And I get why Midge is leaving for 6 months but it's kind of like when parents get divorced and one of them moves far away.  Sure, an adult has a right to do what's best for them, but I also think all kids have the right to parents who at least attempt to do what's best for their children.  Childhood really doesn't last that long and being treated like you don't matter that much can have a huge affect on adult life.  That said, since it's TV I'm willing to let things happen in the way that's best for the show.

• Love 13

Midge doesn' know it but given that her father has given up the job that provides his apartment (or is at least considering it) Midge may actually need to go on the road for 6 months.  The makeup counter isn't going to keep them.  And she doesn't know about Joel's 60G.  And given Joel's history I'm not sure she could count on him keeping it.   Although his club idea might be a way to more fully integrate him in season 3 and beyond but I am SO not wishing for more Joel.

• Love 11

We would never, ever question a man for leaving his children for 6 months to go tour. The kids have a father and two sets of grandparents. That’s sort of the point of the show - a woman who is destined for more running up against the stereotypes of 1950s Jewish society (and well, American sexism). Apparently, we still expect women to conquer the world and tuck the kids in to bed every night. It’s not fair to evaluate her choices in that way... she’s been struggling with this decision for 2 seasons. Being a wife and mother was part of it.

I would totally question a male parent who announces he is leaving his family for six months for work when there are small children at home.  Even when there is a support system in place, that's a large burden to place on one parent for that period of time.   Now it may turn out that there the person has to go away and there is no real choice, but I'd still question it.

I did laugh at Susie also getting a fur coat upon leaving Sophie's house.  Because clearly 5'0 Alex Borstein wears the same size coat as 6'0 Jane Lynch, and the thing wouldn't look like Susie was a five year old trying on her mother's clothes.  And yeah, I get that Sophie is another in a long line of ASP's eccentric rich weirdos who act in ways that no actual person does.  That was just a bit of eccentricty that makes me laugh.  

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

I did laugh at Susie also getting a fur coat upon leaving Sophie's house.  Because clearly 5'0 Alex Borstein wears the same size coat as 6'0 Jane Lynch, and the thing wouldn't look like Susie was a five year old trying on her mother's clothes. 

I didn't laugh so much as WTF? because I am not much taller than Susie. But then I quickly fanwanked that the coat was really a jacket with 3/4 length sleeves on Sophie.

• Love 7

I didn't laugh so much as WTF? because I am not much taller than Susie. But then I quickly fanwanked that the coat was really a jacket with 3/4 length sleeves on Sophie.

Oh the same thing happened last season when Midge visited Sophie's house.  Midge (5'3) also got a perfectly fit mink because Sophie didn't want a coat she had worn more than twice.  It's all just ASP eccentric rich weirdo nonsense.  Think Emily trying to get a time share for a plane because she was angry over Rory leaving her house.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 5
On 12/10/2018 at 2:17 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I think the argument @Browndog319 was making was that we would not question a man  - as the typical breadwinner of the family, especially in the 50's - to leave his family for 6 months if his work required it.  While I agree that Joel leaving was a misguided attempt to "find himself", Midge is pursuing an important step in her career. 

Piggybacking:  I thought that additionally, the reason we wouldn't react the same way to a man doing the same was that Browndog's primary point is - the children have another available parent.  Yes as an extended family, there's a great support system in place but I thought the point really was, nobody ever sees the kids with Midge and her parents and goes - where is Joel?  isn't Joel just an irresponsible so and so for not being around his children?  Because the default understanding (then and now) is when it comes to the kids, women do the caretaking.    The irresponsibility of abandonment didn't really stick out for me as much as the criticism being about reverse gender roles.  Mileage.  Browndog could be looking at this right now like what? nah, that's not what I meant.  Lol.   

4 hours ago, cali1981 said:

Does anyone think that Shay is, in significant part, modeled after Johnny Mathis?  He was a superstar just around the time that season 2 takes place.

The minute I saw him at the telethon I thought, that's supposed to be Nat King Cole.   Hair, body type, singing style.   I see how you got Mathis though, same tribe.  

• Love 8
On 12/10/2018 at 6:38 AM, ChlcGirl said:

I dont think we'll ever see eye to eye on this so let's go back to discussing how fun the show is and how much we love it :)

Maybe you're looking at this from a 21st century perspective, though. In the 50s and even 60s, fathers were not as involved in the day-to-day with their kids as they are now.

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, peggy06 said:

Maybe you're looking at this from a 21st century perspective, though. In the 50s and even 60s, fathers were not as involved in the day-to-day with their kids as they are now.

And sometimes we kids felt like we were being raised by wolves.

• Love 7
21 hours ago, cali1981 said:

Does anyone think that Shay is, in significant part, modeled after Johnny Mathis?  He was a superstar just around the time that season 2 takes place.

I immediately thought of Mathis.  I'm assuming he will be in season 3.  I hope they explore his sexuality.

• Love 10

I immediately thought of Mathis.  I'm assuming he will be in season 3.  I hope they explore his sexuality.

I would rather they do more with Susie than tired jokes about how people aren't sure whether she is a man or a woman. 

• Love 14
31 minutes ago, monakane said:
22 hours ago, cali1981 said:

They already demonstrated his preference for the ladies' restroom. I would be okay with them leaving it with those kind of hints, but will next season be rolling the calendar over to 1960?
--Not that "the 60s" really began that early.
And, IRRC, gender bending freedom followed after the questioning of racism and the explosion of feminism of that decade.
--talking from my anecdotal memory--not based on Wikipedia research.

• Love 2

One of the underlying themes of the series, especially this season, is that Midge, wonderful as she is, is basically a very selfish person -- as all performers have to be. She basically abandoned her kids to her parents' care in season 1 when her career started to take off; she destroyed Mary's wedding just so she could be the center of attention; she arranged Imogene's party but then didn't even show up. 

In "All Alone" we see her starting to come to terms with who she really is, and accepting it, even if she doesn't like it.

Other thoughts:

I was surprised that Joel talked about starting a club with his $60k - I thought he was going to offer Suzie the money to buy in as Midge's co-manager. He may still. As we saw, sometimes in the macho showbiz world, you need a man to do your dirty work and Joel is good at it.

So do we think Sophie was serious about hiring Suzie, or is she just trying to fuck with'em both, and break up the potent Suzie-Midge partnership? 

As for Lenny Bruce - almost every word out of his mouth onstage has come from Lenny's classic routines. This recreation of his Steve Allen Show appearance is even more faithful than the rest (and is nakedly autobiographical). As Lenny said, it was his big chance to show the honchos of show biz that he could "play nice." 

If you want to hear Lenny Bruce at his peak, seek out "Lenny Bruce at Carnegie Hall." It's a complete show,recorded at a midnight Carnegie Hall appearance in the middle of a blizzard in 1961. Lenny thought the place would be empty because of the weather - it was packed to the rafters. And the first ten minutes is all improv - Lenny talking about trying to get to New York City from Miami in the middle of the blizzard to make the gig. There's nothing dirty or controversial about it (that comes later) and it's utterly hysterical. The show also contains peak versions of Christ & Moses and several other routines.

• Love 14

Some very good points are being made with regards to Midge leaving her kids behind to go on tour - it is selfish but it's also in-character. Her realization what it takes to make it (or what she thinks it's going to take) is this season's leitmotiv. And I don't like it - not just because I'm not impressed with people who have kids and then all of a sudden decide that that's not what they really want to do. I'm more concerned with the sad, lonely genius trope the show is pandering to. And there are even shades of its cousin-trope 'it's okay to be a jerk if you're a great artist' (which plenty of people turn around into 'I'm being a jerk therefore I'm a great artist' but that's not for here and now). Obviously it makes for better story-telling - Joss Whedon said happy people don't produce great tv shows.

And yet I'm feeling uneasy about the direction  probably because I find the juxtaposition between the overall uplifting mood of the show (the funny dialogue, great costumes and sets - the lack of Mad Men depressing levels of realist) with such a rather dark and depressing view on creativity jarring. Not saying that Midge arc's isn't interesting or intriguing - but I feel as if it's not handled with the gravitas it deserves.

Or I might be completely wrong about everything. The tour will not happen, Midge and Joel get back together. Joel opens his club and Midge is the star all will be fine and dandy.

• Love 7

Oh Lenny Bruce. My heart breaks for him. If I didn't know his inevitable demise, I'd root for him and Midge to be together.

I do think Joel is the end game for Midge. I think we're going to see his character grow and evolve. They do seem to be great friends and co-parents. I'm not sure I'd pick him over Benjamin - OK, fine, I'd definitely pick Benjamin, but I don't have two kids and a history with Joel. Joel seems to know Midge inside and out. I can't believe I'm defending Joel, but this is my gut speaking. In the final scene, she wanted to be with someone who loved her, and she went to Joel. That says something.

This show is so beautifully cast. I love how Midge's parents were fleshed out this season. I like the friendship between Midge and Susie. How on God's green earth am I going to wait another year to see what happens next?

I want a swing coat, even if it makes me look like I'm wearing a parachute.

About a year ago, I decided my language was getting too foul and I was going to clean up my act. I did a good job. People who worked with me actually thought I was clean and pure and innocent. I binge watch the second season, and I'm throwing the F word all over the place. 

• Love 24
On 08/12/2018 at 7:20 AM, Quilt Fairy said:

I read an article (sorry I can't post the link right now) that said that ASP got the inspiration for Mrs Maisel from her father.  One of the things he did was tour as the opening act for Dinah Washington, so I think we will see Midge go on tour.  And the guy that plays Shy Baldwin can really sing. 

Susie walking out of Sophie Lennon's house in a fur coat is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.  I nearly fell out of my chair laughing. 

It was funnier when she was dancing in the Catskills. 

• Love 6
12 hours ago, Gummo said:

One of the underlying themes of the series, especially this season, is that Midge, wonderful as she is, is basically a very selfish person -- as all performers have to be. She basically abandoned her kids to her parents' care in season 1 when her career started to take off; she destroyed Mary's wedding just so she could be the center of attention; she arranged Imogene's party but then didn't even show up. 

In "All Alone" we see her starting to come to terms with who she really is, and accepting it, even if she doesn't like it.

Other thoughts:

I was surprised that Joel talked about starting a club with his $60k - I thought he was going to offer Suzie the money to buy in as Midge's co-manager. He may still. As we saw, sometimes in the macho showbiz world, you need a man to do your dirty work and Joel is good at it.

So do we think Sophie was serious about hiring Suzie, or is she just trying to fuck with'em both, and break up the potent Suzie-Midge partnership? 

As for Lenny Bruce - almost every word out of his mouth onstage has come from Lenny's classic routines. This recreation of his Steve Allen Show appearance is even more faithful than the rest (and is nakedly autobiographical). As Lenny said, it was his big chance to show the honchos of show biz that he could "play nice." 

If you want to hear Lenny Bruce at his peak, seek out "Lenny Bruce at Carnegie Hall." It's a complete show,recorded at a midnight Carnegie Hall appearance in the middle of a blizzard in 1961. Lenny thought the place would be empty because of the weather - it was packed to the rafters. And the first ten minutes is all improv - Lenny talking about trying to get to New York City from Miami in the middle of the blizzard to make the gig. There's nothing dirty or controversial about it (that comes later) and it's utterly hysterical. The show also contains peak versions of Christ & Moses and several other routines.

Just got it. Thanks.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 3:28 PM, ZaldamoWilder said:

The minute I saw him at the telethon I thought, that's supposed to be Nat King Cole.   Hair, body type, singing style.

My take was Nat King Cole as well.  I would have thought that Johnny Mathis would have been popular later, but that may just be because he had a longer career, whereas unfortunately Cole died in 1965.

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Gummo said:

Rhetorical question, right? Regardless, I do not see a mink coat—or even a regular salary—detaching Suzie from her rising star that is Midge.

6 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I find the juxtaposition between the overall uplifting mood of the show (the funny dialogue, great costumes and sets - the lack of Mad Men depressing levels of realist) with such a rather dark and depressing view on creativity jarring

But realistic too. And it follows the structure of a joke, as well as the mood and world view of a comedy act. So the almost giddy mood with the tragic relationship story fits the subject matter of a comedienne like a glove. A New Yorker magazine review also complained about the "treacleness" of the show, but I find it presented so surreally—like when Midge and Joel part from their dance and their relationship with ballet-like grace—that the prettiness represents the societal norm of the place and period just as, for example, my mother would always "put on her face" (both the makeup and the attitude) before going out into the world, even if she had locked herself in the bathroom to cry an hour earlier.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

My take was Nat King Cole as well.  I would have thought that Johnny Mathis would have been popular later, but that may just be because he had a longer career, whereas unfortunately Cole died in 1965.

In 1958 and 1959 Mathis released six albums. All reached the top ten; three went gold -- including a 1958 greatest hits compilation -- and two went platinum, including a 1958 Christmas album. (Midge says her mother adored Shy's; Cole's would be released in 1960.)  The young actor Leroy McClain resembles Mathis more than he does Cole, who was 40 in 1959, while Mathis was 22. 

• Love 11

This is a great TV show.  

My sole concern for the future is that Midge not get hooked on drugs or become an alcoholic.  It would be a natural next step for anything dealing with comics, but I just don’t want to watch.  I’m up for almost anything else. 

• Love 11
On 12/8/2018 at 9:34 PM, shapeshifter said:

Unless they do a massive time jump and cut out the tour (and a big chunk of the time when Midge is proving herself as a comic), I can't see that happening. They may be taking liberties with the accuracy of the timeline, but Lenny Bruce didn't die until 1966, so fingers crossed, we'll see him around for a while yet. 

ETA: I agree with those of you who see the similarities between Joel and Gilmore Girls' Christopher, and yet somehow it didn't bother me to have Midge end up at his door. It made sense, somehow. This time. I won't give ASP as much rope as she took with Christopher. 

Edited by scatteroflight
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, whiporee said:

This is a great TV show.  

My sole concern for the future is that Midge not get hooked on drugs or become an alcoholic.  It would be a natural next step for anything dealing with comics, but I just don’t want to watch.  I’m up for almost anything else. 

If this is based on Joan Rivers and Totie Fields... neither of them did.

• Love 2

I’m hoping for a time jump, btw. I don’t really need to see Midge break up withChuck, and I’d rather see her already on tour than all the prepping, breaking up, explaining, all that.  

I liked Joel this entire season. I liked his club speech, too.  I didn’t like how quickly Rose became the same person again even though Abe was making efforts, and unless they are going to set Abe up as being a converted radical, not a lot f his storyline made sense. 

I like Imogene a lot, but I’ve loved her since her last scene on Bunheads. But I imagine that’s the last we see of her. 

Can we assume Susie took the job with Sophie? 

Its too bad they went so wrong vet the top with Sophie.  She could have been a really great character — she made the same kind of All Alone decision Midge has — and toned down a lot she could have real insight in the show.  But she’ll be hard pressed to ever get beyond characature, and that’s too bad.  

Edited by whiporee
  • Love 6

I have to admit Joel arranging to have a song from Midge's favorite musical play so they can dance to it when he proposed was pretty romantic. The lead up to it, not so much, though. What with the reason for the proposal being he wanted to have sex, and the way he put pressure on her to say yes right away.

If I had someplace to be, and there's some moron stopping traffic so he can dance in the middle of the road, I would not be amused. But it's fun in a fictional scene like this. Very theatrical.

• Love 11

Can we assume Susie took the job with Sophie? 

I don't. Susie's thinks Sophie's act is stale. She might waver, but I don't see her chucking Midge unless she has a fear of flying or some other reason not to hit the road with Midge.

• Love 2

I don't. Susie's thinks Sophie's act is stale. She might waver, but I don't see her chucking Midge unless she has a fear of flying or some other reason not to hit the road with Midge.

This is something that frustrates me in the Midge/Sophie feud.  Even if Sophie's act is stale and her brand of humor is just her playing a one-note character, Sophie apparently had what it takes to get to the top of her profession.  Unless she started as an overnight success, she's been where Midge is now.  She has the experience and celebrity to serve as an important mentor to Midge and open a lot of doors, but Midge burned that bridge. 

Did I miss the part where Joel and Midge got officially divorced?  

No.  Joel and Midge are still separated as far as I know.  It's not even clear to me that they even taken basic steps like retaining a lawyer and/or working out the terms of the divorce. 

• Love 9