Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
OnceSane

S27.E11: Week 9: Finale

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

How not? People voted for who they wanted to win, the person with the most votes won. It's always been a popularity contest, not a talent contest. 

If you read my post, you would see I explained pretty clearly why I disagreed that it worked this season the way it always does. I, mostly agree, it's a popularity contest but there's always been some measure of the person winning having some form of dancing ability. People can get far on minimal dance ability if they're popular like the Cubs guy David (?) Ross, but usually the winner is someone who can dance. Bobby does not fit that criterion.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

Considering how the ratings have been dropping I'd say many people who say "I'll never watch this show again" mean it. 

You know whats really crappy about this? I doubt ABC even cares. Bobby is part of the ABC family with his role on AI so they're probably ok with his win.

OK with it....I'd say ABC orchestrated it.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, spanana said:

Because usually even if the best dancer doesn't win, somebody with some semblance of talent does.  This is the first time I can ever say with confidence that the person that won has zero dance ability and zero dance talent and yet actually managed to win.  That is certainly a first.  Trying to compare this guy to a Donny Osmond or Bindi or Nyle or anyone doesn't work.  He's not even a Helio.

That's your - and a bunch of others - opinion but the fact remains that Bobby got the most votes in a popularity contest, therefore he won. If they wanted to treat it like an actual dance competition, there would be no outside voting and it would be dependent on judge's scores. But because they want that interaction with the fans, it literally becomes a "vote for whoever you want for whatever reason". I can't fault Bobby's fans for voting for him. I can't blame Bobby for getting more votes than the next contestant. Just because it's not the desired outcome doesn't mean that it's not working as intended. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Lol Helio Catroneves was a lot of fun and he had dance talent  he certainly never acted like he had contempt for better dancers. This Bones guy hates dancers and dance fans and was solely there for tv recognition 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

First, are people really putting Bindi's win amongst the wins of Nyle or Helio? Really, wow. I know people hated her perkiness and constant happy, happy face and well, Derek but really? Because I'm really curious who the best dancer that season apparently was that was so much more deserving and no, it was not Nick Carter. And Tamar had to leave the competition so in the end she wasn't even in the running. YMMV

As for Helio, as I said, the funny thing is, I think some forget that Helio actually was getting fairly decent scores. I even remember that he topped the leader board in the first week with his Foxtrot. I remember the judges loved him for the Standard dances. It was the Latin dances where he wasn't so great.

But the fact is he was more of a middle of the pack, sometimes even near the top of the leader board throughout the season. So his win was actually not that shocking or seemingly undeserved to many people at the time. I couldn't stand him myself because I found him annoying and thought he was an average dancer. But the judges actually didn't score Helio as badly as often as they did Bobby. 

Hey maybe they'll bring things full circle and do a Dance Off a la the first season when Kelly Monaco beat John O'Hurley.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Pick which person shares your expression when Bobby was announced the winner. I'm Evanna.

Seriously, nobody really looks happy.

I'm definitely Milo or Alexis.  Just flabbergasted.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

On the plus side, Bobby is gonna hear nonstop that this was the worst finale for DWTS awarding the worst winner for a LOOOOOONG time. That has to hurt his ego.

I hope it disentegrates his ego, obliterates it, smashes it into microscopic shards.  Along with his balls.  And I will never ever ever forgive Sharna for her part in this farce.  I hope those two wallow in their hollow victory.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I think Evanna was the most improved. I loved her freestyle tonight. I really wanted her to win. I loved getting to see Keo really shine. 

 

Bobby winning was a joke. He came into the show not knowing how to dance and left not knowing how to dance. I dont understand how his freestyle got a perfect score. 

  • Like 18

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

ou know whats really crappy about this? I doubt ABC even cares. Bobby is part of the ABC family with his role on AI so they're probably ok with his win.

Now that I didn't know because I had zero interest in the American Idol reboot. I gave it a glance or two and was he the guy mentoring them or something? I just remember seeing the contestants talking to some guy that I had no clue who he was. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Kelly Monaco was the worst winner and she knew it and wanted to come back and improve and she did that during the all Star season. Agreed that Helio was a strong standard dancer, and just like Hinch didn't have the Latin hips but he was a feel good winner, Helios Quickstep will go down as one the best ever .  Not sure if Boner has anything remotely memorable 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

That's your - and a bunch of others - opinion but the fact remains that Bobby got the most votes in a popularity contest, therefore he won. If they wanted to treat it like an actual dance competition, there would be no outside voting and it would be dependent on judge's scores. But because they want that interaction with the fans, it literally becomes a "vote for whoever you want for whatever reason". I can't fault Bobby's fans for voting for him. I can't blame Bobby for getting more votes than the next contestant. Just because it's not the desired outcome doesn't mean that it's not working as intended. 

I don't think anyone is arguing that Bobby didn't get the most votes.  Just horrified by what it says about the people that are voting and the state of the show. I don't think anyone besides Bobby's fans that voted for him would think Bobby was on par with any other previous winners of this show.  I think it's a fairly objective opinion based on actual dances done on the show that Bobby is an inferior dancer.  I know a lot about dance and enjoyment of dance is subjective, but general ability is not.

I'm also not even sure many are arguing that there should be no viewer vote.  I know that there needs to be.  However formulas could be tooled somewhat to help the show in the right direction.  For instance they changed the way viewer votes were tabulated between S2 and S3 and they did what they needed to do to make the whole thing make more sense.  They could keep the viewer vote and just fix the formula.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

The good news: Sharna finally got a mirrorball. The bad news: it was two years too late.

As far as I'm concerned, if the show had worked like it was supposed to, Bobby Bones wouldn't have gotten within shitting distance of the finale, let alone won.

  • Like 21

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

How not? People voted for who they wanted to win, the person with the most votes won. It's always been a popularity contest, not a talent contest. 

In the grand scheme of things, it’s pretty insignificant.  You get paid every week you’re on. Getting to the finals means you collect all your dough.  All the winner gets over the losers is a shitty trophy.  At least shufflin schmoe didn’t win. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, FilmTVGeek80 said:

If you read my post, you would see I explained pretty clearly why I disagreed that it worked this season the way it always does. I, mostly agree, it's a popularity contest but there's always been some measure of the person winning having some form of dancing ability. People can get far on minimal dance ability if they're popular like the Cubs guy David (?) Ross, but usually the winner is someone who can dance. Bobby does not fit that criterion.

I don't believe Bobby had no dancing ability - he danced. Maybe not as well as the next contestant (but certainly better than Joe) but he did dance. He did his best and his fans rewarded him for it. I get the result not being your (general "your", not specific) ideal result but at least the guy tried and somewhat succeeded. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

I am just numb!!! WTF!!!! I guess DWTS is begging to be cancelled. It just proved it tonight. Sharna winning a MBT with a partner that can not dance. What a farce!!!! Poor Milo and Evanna. All that hard work for 9 weeks and all for nothing. These country bumpkins that voted for Bobby are worse than the nutty bachelor nation gals.  I wonder if DWTS is coming back and decided to give Sharna a MBT for 2 reasons. The first being that she would finally shut up about whining over never having won a MBT. The second is giving Sharna a MBT for being with DWTS for all these seasons. Kind of like a consolation prize. One thing I advise Sharna to do is not to get on twitter. I haven't looked yet, but I am pretty sure the comments are not gonna be good. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

Just because it's not the desired outcome doesn't mean that it's not working as intended. 

I get what you're saying (in your entire post) but it can't be TPTB's intent to alienate enough viewers to warrant cancellation.  I don't think they thought BB ever had a shot of winning, but that's their fault for so seriously miscalculating his fan base, if that's the case.  Never mind the DWTS mirror ball; they should have given him a glittery wrecking ball.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

Congrats Bobby fanatics - you just signed this show's death warrant. Hope it was worth it!

Edited by fpbl83
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Sharma's Mirrorball is with an asterisk. It's only legit insofar as the tribal voting for a person who trashes others is legit. As goes DWTS so goes the country 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Hey maybe they'll bring things full circle and do a Dance Off a la the first season when Kelly Monaco beat John O'Hurley.

 

Oh god...don't give them ideas, please. I am sure after this train wreck of a season they would be so desperate to try it. 

Maybe I'm just a cheap date but I would rather see another "all star" season myself. I think, if they groveled hard enough, they could get back some really great runners up that some even argued should have won their seasons. 

Mel B back with Maks? She seems pretty desperate for attention of late, more than usual even. Mark back with the violin player, Amy I believe? Didn't she dance with someone for the trio dances this year? She shouldn't be a hard sell. And so on. JP would be a hot choice as well all things considered. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
  1. I fast forwarded the show ( except for Cheryl’s tango) but Boobys freestyle has to be the “ dance” with the least dancing by a contestant ever. But I call out the judges for their 10’s and overpraise.  My advice- watch dances on YouTube from seasons 2-4 - the Golden Age of DWTS!  ( especially Cheryl with Emmitt and Drew]
Edited by Packerbrewerbadger
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, LoveDance said:

Sharma's Mirrorball is with an asterisk. It's only legit insofar as the tribal voting for a person who trashes others is legit. As goes DWTS so goes the country 

Bingo!  I love you.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, spanana said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that Bobby didn't get the most votes.  Just horrified by what it says about the people that are voting and the state of the show.

But the vote breakdown doesn't say anything about the voters or the state of the show. What data can be extrapolated from it? About the voters or the state of the show? I'm not talking about the whole season, I'm talking about this specific vote. All it says is that more people voted for Bobby for whatever reason. We don't know the demographic breakdown of voters or the reasons they votes or anything like that. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

But the vote breakdown doesn't say anything about the voters or the state of the show. What data can be extrapolated from it? About the voters or the state of the show? I'm not talking about the whole season, I'm talking about this specific vote. All it says is that more people voted for Bobby for whatever reason. We don't know the demographic breakdown of voters or anything like that. 

I'm sorry, but I don't have to see the demographics to know the demographics of a lot of Bobby's fans.  It is 100% obvious.  I bet the demos look very similar to some other votes in this country.

Edited by spanana
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

I have no words for Booby winning, but Milo’s freestyle was the best I’ve ever seen on this show. Hot damn! Maybe he would have won if people actually had time to vote.

Evana’s was cute as well. Go Keo!

You know, as annoying as Booby was, I thought his freestyle was decent. It was a lot better than Alexis’s and that fake kissing was pukeworthy.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
50 minutes ago, doLLish said:

I found out the winner from Twitter and I can honestly say Bobby is the winner this season deserved. Any other winner, they would have been able to gloss over this disaster of a season. But with Bobby winning, they have to stand in it, own it and deal with it. 

THIS. I wonder if TPTB realize how bad this is for them. For all the manipulation they do, they couldn't have done something to prevent this?

I was preparing myself to be upset tonight with Milo not winning. But when I found out that the winner was BOBBY, I started cracking up and I am still laughing right now on the inside, it's so unbelievable.

On a positive, I think this might be the most concensus this message forum (and many other DWTS forums across the web) has had in all the years of this show.

  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, LoveDance said:

Kelly Monaco was the worst winner and she knew it and wanted to come back and improve and she did that during the all Star season. Agreed that Helio was a strong standard dancer, and just like Hinch didn't have the Latin hips but he was a feel good winner, Helios Quickstep will go down as one the best ever .  Not sure if Boner has anything remotely memorable 

Kelly was not the worst winner.  The show was so  different then that you can't compare and I remain mad that they had the dance off or whatever for that John guy. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

I get what you're saying (in your entire post) but it can't be TPTB's intent to alienate enough viewers to warrant cancellation.  I don't think they thought BB ever had a shot of winning, but that's their fault for so seriously miscalculating his fan base, if that's the case.  Never mind the DWTS mirror ball; they should have given him a glittery wrecking ball.

My perspective is Bones fanbase was the only organized group.  The. Rest of them didn't have the voting block that this group had consistently, so horray for Stepford voters, doesn't matter if Bobby can dance Bobbys values are their values 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

I have no words for Booby winning, but Milo’s freestyle was the best I’ve ever seen on this show. Hot damn! Maybe he would have won if people actually had time to vote.

Evana’s was cute as well. Go Keo!

You know, as annoying as Booby was, I thought his freestyle was decent. It was a lot better than Alexis’s and that fake kissing was pukeworthy.

I am in the minority because I just watched Milo's freestyle on YOUTUBE and I was so underwhelmed. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, BeeBop88 said:

Okay, so from what I can understand, the west coast could not vote at all? And of course the winner of DWTS is also employed on an ABC show called Americal Idol. This stinks more than rotten fish. And Evanna gets 10 minutes for people to vote for her freestyle, while  Bobby had about an hour for people to vote for his.  I am no Einstein, but how is that even remotely fair?

West Coast could vote. Voting was open to the entire country online until five minutes after the final dance. It's theoretically not fair to the final person who dances (and Mountain and West Coasters who are voting blind), but if you were really pulling for someone, you would be voting for them before they danced anyway or having seen them dance. So I doubt Evanna or Milo dancing earlier would've made a difference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

As I watched Bobby’s craptastic freestyle, all I could think about was how much more enjoyable Juan Pablo would have been in the finals. I think I am more offended by the judges giving that farce 10s than anything else. 

Edited by DietCokeJunkie
  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Kelly was not the worst winner.  The show was so  different then that you can't compare and I remain mad that they had the dance off or whatever for that John guy. 

Imho Kelly wasn't much of a dancer season one but she had a helluva fanbase, and since I didn't watch Soaps but I did watch Seinfeld Kelly was some awkward girl, John was Peterman so better known to me 

Edited by LoveDance
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

I get what you're saying (in your entire post) but it can't be TPTB's intent to alienate enough viewers to warrant cancellation.  I don't think they thought BB ever had a shot of winning, but that's their fault for so seriously miscalculating his fan base, if that's the case.  Never mind the DWTS mirror ball; they should have given him a glittery wrecking ball.

It wasn't just his fan base. Go look at Sharna's fan sites. Those people were just as rabid for her to win. And with her being the only fam member in the finale, she picked up a LOT Of the Val/Jenna shippers once they were both eliminated.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

It wasn't just his fan base. Go look at Sharna's fan sites. Those people were just as rabid for her to win. And with her being the only fam member in the finale, she picked up a LOT Of the Val/Jenna shippers once they were both eliminated.

Are there really enough of the Val/Jenna shippers to make a difference, though?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, spanana said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that Bobby didn't get the most votes.  Just horrified by what it says about the people that are voting and the state of the show. I don't think anyone besides Bobby's fans that voted for him would think Bobby was on par with any other previous winners of this show.  I think it's a fairly objective opinion based on actual dances done on the show that Bobby is an inferior dancer.  I know a lot about dance and enjoyment of dance is subjective, but general ability is not.

I'm also not even sure many are arguing that there should be no viewer vote.  I know that there needs to be.  However formulas could be tooled somewhat to help the show in the right direction.  For instance they changed the way viewer votes were tabulated between S2 and S3 and they did what they needed to do to make the whole thing make more sense.  They could keep the viewer vote and just fix the formula.

I have a feeling that there are lots of people that voted for Bobby, that never watched this season and are not DWTS fans.  Bobby had a lot of PR this past week. He was promoting himself on his show, he was on the CMA awards with Sharna, lots of country music stations were promoting Bobby, and even country music stars were telling their fans to vote for Bobby. Just like David Ross. He could not dance either (although I feel he was a little bit better than Bobby), but he had tons of baseball fans voting that were not DWTS watchers. And he got to 2nd place. So I don't think it is the fans of DWTS that is horrifying, but the country bumpkins that were very well organized thanks to the country music world that whipped them up into a frenzy to get Bobby a win.

  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

It wasn't just his fan base. Go look at Sharna's fan sites. Those people were just as rabid for her to win. And with her being the only fam member in the finale, she picked up a LOT Of the Val/Jenna shippers once they were both eliminated.

I had no idea.  Well, I don't know how much joy either one of them can truly have with this *win.  They are being mocked here and, I assume, everywhere else that talks about this show.  I'd honestly be embarrassed if I were she.  I don't think BB is capable of embarrassment.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

The west coast airing didn't even begin yet and the American Idol Facebook page put up a big congratulations post for Bobby and Sharna *roll eyes*

8 minutes ago, DietCokeJunkie said:

As I watched Bobby’s craptastic freestyle, all I could think about was how much more enjoyable Juan Pablo would have been in the finals. I think I am more offended by the judges giving that farce 10s then anything else. 

Oh what could have been. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

First, are people really putting Bindi's win amongst the wins of Nyle or Helio? Really, wow. I know people hated her perkiness and constant happy, happy face and well, Derek but really? Because I'm really curious who the best dancer that season apparently was that was so much more deserving and no, it was not Nick Carter. And Tamar had to leave the competition so in the end she wasn't even in the running. YMMV

As one of the first - I believe - to mention Bindi I would say, yeah I'm putting her there with Nyle and Helio (and not even with Nyle because I actually liked him but for arguments' sake she's in the same category.) I disliked her as a contestant and loathed her win with the heat of a thousand suns for all the reasons you mentioned (annoying personality, Derek, sob story constantly) but because I also thought she was <i>vastly</i> overpraised by the jobs. I thought she had some dancing ability but not deserving of the tongue baths she received week after week. I can't really remember too much about her season so I can't remember if there was someone I was rooting for, or thought was more deserving, but I would not have been unhappy with a Nick win. He might not have been vastly more deserving than her but I thought their abilities were fairly close.

21 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

I don't believe Bobby had no dancing ability - he danced. Maybe not as well as the next contestant (but certainly better than Joe) but he did dance. He did his best and his fans rewarded him for it. I get the result not being your (general "your", not specific) ideal result but at least the guy tried and somewhat succeeded. 

Was Bobby Master P levels of bad? No. Was he slightly better than Joe? Probably. But, especially compared to the other three in the finals, I thought he sucked. He didn't really succeed for me, other than sapping a lot of enjoyment watching other contestants really work hard and not whine and insult each other afterward. I stand by what I've said - this is not how the show usually works. I get your point that it's a popularity contest and if the producers didn't want fan input they wouldn't have fan votes, but usually fan sense kicks in towards the end and someone as shitty as Bobby doesn't win. I think it's indicative not just of his huge fan base, but as others have pointed out, where we are in this country, and I guess is representative of the people who is left watching this show and voting. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post

It seems to me that some whole massive class of people, NONE of whom I know, are in the business of validating and rewarding bad rhetorical public behaviour these days.  It's like an outbreak.  I'd sit down and write a dystopic novel about it, but I'm too depressed,

  • Like 24

Share this post


Link to post
19 minutes ago, BeeBop88 said:

Okay, so from what I can understand, the west coast could not vote at all? And of course the winner of DWTS is also employed on an ABC show called Americal Idol. This stinks more than rotten fish. And Evanna gets 10 minutes for people to vote for her freestyle, while  Bobby had about an hour for people to vote for his.  I am no Einstein, but how is that even remotely fair?

The voting was open during the whole show, so the west coast could vote...they were just voting without seeing anything they were voting on.  So likely the only people on the west coast that voted were those that were totally hardcore fans who knew who they wanted to vote for and cared enough to do it without seeing the show.  Casual DWTS viewers on the west coast or those that vote on what actually happens on the show didn't likely get a chance to vote.

Edited by spanana
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I am in the minority because I just watched Milo's freestyle on YOUTUBE and I was so underwhelmed. 

 

I join you at the table.

I felt like I saw a lot of repeat themes and moves from other freestyles and some SYTYCD dances as well. I didn't care for the umbrella props. I get what she was going for but it was just okay, and? for me. Also, that blasted smoke machine was cranked all the way up to 20, I could hardly see half of what was going on. 

Gleb did the water shit first with his partner from a few seasons ago so I wasn't impressed with the splish splash party there at the end either. 

And they ruined one of my favorite all time songs, you don't remix Bill Withers, man, just no. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Are there really enough of the Val/Jenna shippers to make a difference, though?

I also don't personally think Val/Jenna shippers care enough about Sharna to vote honestly.  Sharna is kind of fam.  She was at one point but stopped hanging out with most of them besides Peta, so Sharna isn't all that super close to them these days.  Jenna fans only care about Jenna being the queen of the world, so I doubt they would want to validate any female pro that isn't Jenna and I doubt Val fans care too much about Sharna winning.  Most Jenna/Val shippers I've seen don't even care that much about Jenna and Val outside of how they relate to each other as a couple.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

What a complete joke.

He's the worst winner ever and will probably stay that way no matter how many more seasons are left.

The look on the other's faces was priceless, it's like no one could believe what just happened.

I think the lack of appropriate scoring for him helped him. Once he got that 30 and lessened the gap between he and the other 3 I had a bad feeling.

Then to find out the top 2 were Milo and Bobby and Evanna couldn't even manage 2nd  based on her journey and Keo never winning was disgusting, but with how quick the women went this season, not having any in the top 2 was fitting.

I'm very close to decided never to watch again, only sliver of me is holding on because i've been a since season 1 fan, but thank god it's not back until the fall presumably because i'm gonna need a LONG time to get over this nonsense.

I know Sharna got her win*, but she's gotta be thinking "couldn't with Nick, James, Charlie, Josh, or even Noah, but Bobby wins it for me?"

 

 

*not really a win.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, LoveDance said:

No shoulder lifts at the end of the show?

No one probably wanted to. 

 

Poor Keo had that look on his face like "welp, guess i've never winning"

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×