Type keyword(s) to search

S27.E11: Week 9: Finale

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, alexa said:

As for the online comments, just because Sharna doesn't like the negative comments, it doesn't necessarily mean that they were bullying comments.  They could have just been comments that people weren't happy with the outcome, which is something that will be shared in social media if you are a "pro" on a show that relies on people voting. 

To be fair, it isn't just comments with people being unhappy with the outcome. Some of the comments directed at Sharna are bullying and just downright hateful. There are also a lot of people blaming her for doing her job rather than just throwing up her hands and walking away.

To give you an example, I saw this tweet last night sent by someone regarding the win. It wasn't sent to Sharna, but these are the types of things she's been getting:

At this point, fuck Sharna. They cheated...the MOST improved dancers received 10s during the competition, not obligatory ones at the end.

Because ultimately she didn't deserve the mirror ball.

Edited by Toonces464
  • Love 8

Sharna wants to continue working on DWTS, and she's a pro in any case.  Her job was to try to teach Bobby to dance...and when that became impossible...her job became one of trying to hide his flaws...and let him just act manic to please his fans.

Some of her tweets were not helpful in trying to defend Bobby...they occasionally fed the flames instead.  She did delete some of those tweets.

In addition to Bobby's offensive (to me, at least) words and behavior....I began to suspect ABC was manipulating things because they wanted Bobby's new position as mentor on AI to gain the maximize publicity.  They used the CMAs (which they televised) to further push Bobby's  agenda.  

I do believe DWTS has lost much of their original audience over the past several years....people who were more interested in the dancing and the journey of celebs who truly wanted to learn and succeed.  That means that celebs with big fan bases can overwhelm the contestants who are often better dancers and top performers.  As much as I liked David Ross (and did vote for him for awhile), I realized what could well happen in the future.  Someone like Bobby Bones.

Edited by sinycalone
  • Love 10
41 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

I do believe DWTS has lost much of their original audience over the past several years....people who were more interested in the dancing and the journey of celebs who truly wanted to learn and succeed.  That means that celebs with big fan bases can overwhelm the contestants who are often better dancers and top performers.  As much as I liked David Ross (and did vote for him for awhile), I realized what could well happen in the future.  Someone like Bobby Bones.

And that is the show's biggest problem.....they've lost much of their original audience and rather than trying to get them back, they keep pushing on with things they think will attract a younger audience, which is not the main demographic for this type of show and is not working.

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, sinycalone said:

In addition to Bobby's offensive (to me, at least) words and behavior....I began to suspect ABC was manipulating things because they wanted Bobby's new position as mentor on AI to gain the maximize publicity.  They used the CMAs (which they televised) to further push Bobby's  agenda.  

Hallellujah!   I wonder how he climbed so far and so quickly.  He was in low-level showbiz a long time--and then his rise has been miraculous.  What are his connections?

• Love 4
On 11/19/2018 at 10:35 PM, Callaphera said:

How not? People voted for who they wanted to win, the person with the most votes won. It's always been a popularity contest, not a talent contest. 

This has always been a BONE of contention to me. I'll never agree that this show is simply a popularity contest. Tell that to the talented celebs who break their asses rehearsing their routines to get it just right. What about the celebs who go all out learning and rehearsing lifts so they can WOW the judges and the viewers. That is not the popularity part. That is the skilled part and those celebs who put their hearts and souls into doing a proper dance with proper technique are not doing it for the popular vote.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I think it was when the stars were thanking their families  and Milo's Mom, Camryn, and the man sitting next to her were introduced and she referred to him as Milo's dad, and Milo thanked his Dad, so obviously he has known who his dad is and has had contact with him thru the years, and yes, Milo did look like his dad. 

Thanks for the info. I don't doubt Milo knows who is dad is, but I didn't see any of what you described at all (Camryn referencing Milo's bio dad), but I don't doubt that it happened. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know or remember when it happened (i.e. before his freestyle or after scores for his Charleston) because I'd love to go back and watch that part.

I'm one of those people who is naturally curious (probably overly curious!) about the tiniest details, hence my sincere and genuine question re: Camryn mentioning Milo's dad in the audience.

I did see "Marcia Brady" sitting behind Camryn and thought it was nice she showed up to support the Manheims instead of sitting with other DWTS alumni who show up and are in the front row. No Alfonso sightings this season now that I stop and think about it - or was he there and I missed it? Maybe he's staying away for a bit after he put his dancing feet in his mouth on Twitter?

I always wonder about (and appreciate watching!) random stuff, like "at what moment did someone's costume hamper their movement?" Or, at what specific point in the dance did someone make a mistake or recover beautifully from their mistake? I don't do it to pick people apart and be mean, but there's so much going on during the show, it's hard to catch every moment. After rewinding the segment at least 10 times, I still couldn't tell what specifically predicated Gleb grinding on Emma a week or two ago. I knew someone lost their balance, but couldn't tell who it was. Shout out to @AZChristian for confirming that it was Gleb who lost his balance, not Emma, because I'd still be trying to figure it out.

Thank you @friendperidot for confirming you saw the same wonky things that I did and in a different time zone. I think we can all agree that the camera operators, who are being directed from the control room, did an awful job. That said, the director and producers are typically calling the shots (pun intended) and they were especially awful this season. Did the new show runner replace everyone on the staff?  Did anyone show up to camera blocking?  The camera work was unbelievably awful this season. It seemed like we hardly saw anyone's actual feet moving each week, save for a few dancers and the ones whose feet were hidden on purpose with choreography, troupe members, set design and other tricks. Not filming a dancer's feet when they dance is probably one of the biggest sins on the show. 

• Love 2

The camera work was especially awful during the pro dance where they were promoting the tour.  It kept going to random places.  Sometimes, it wasn't even aimed at a specific thing like the audience or anything.  It was the floor or something random like that.

• Love 11
30 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

What about the celebs who go all out learning and rehearsing lifts so they can WOW the judges and the viewers.

Perhaps they're as innocent as the rest of us were...were, before social media connections became so all-important.  ABC is all about viewers and the "stars" are selected by how many viewers TPTB think they can bring.   If I were a celebrity, I'd be sure to have a HUGE Twitter following and a social media professional handling my account long before agreeing to go on the show.  It's all about the Tweets!  Tragically, dancing is secondary--no, even after the various sob stories presented during the show.

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Bridget said:

No Alfonso sightings this season now that I stop and think about it - or was he there and I missed it? Maybe he's staying away for a bit after he put his dancing feet in his mouth on Twitter?

I did see an article about an interview Alfonso did a few days ago saying he was having a lot of the dancers over for Thanksgiving because, like him and his wife, they don't have family in LA. Annoying as he's become, it's nice that he does that and always includes them.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Total agreement with you. That was my point as well that Helio had a better personality but dancing wise they were the same level. So it's really about who you like better. aka popularity contest. Not about dancing. If it was Heather Morris and other ringers would win every time.

I think there needs to be some YouTube rewatching of Helio dances because while there were stronger female dancers in Season 5, Helio was a GOOD dancer and it astounds me that he is being compared to Bobby in terms of dance ability.

Helio scored a 25 for his Week 1 foxtrot and then a 27 for his Week 2 Mambo. His banana suit "The Mask" quickstep got a perfect score and is considered an iconic dance in DWTS history. 

No, Bobby is, by far, the weakest dancer to ever win DWTS.

• Love 23

I mean, what the hell is Sharna supposed to say? "Sorry guys, you're totes right, I don't deserve this. I'll just hand the win off to second place so you stop tweeting shitty things at me."? That's unreasonable and it's shitty that she's getting crap for it.

I'd be interested to see if a male pro had won with an "undeserving" (snort) celeb, would he also get the amount of crap that she's getting thrown at her? 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, Bridget said:

Thanks for the info. I don't doubt Milo knows who is dad is, but I didn't see any of what you described at all (Camryn referencing Milo's bio dad), but I don't doubt that it happened. Do you (or anyone else) happen to know or remember when it happened (i.e. before his freestyle or after scores for his Charleston) because I'd love to go back and watch that part.

I'm one of those people who is naturally curious (probably overly curious!) about the tiniest details, hence my sincere and genuine question re: Camryn mentioning Milo's dad in the audience.

When the finalists appeared on GMA yesterday morning, Milo was shown a video congratulations message from "Milo's parents" Camryn Manheim and Jeffrey Brezovar (although Camryn did all of the talking). Afterwards, Milo said how great it was for his dad to come out from Wisconsin to see him in the finale.

There are clips as well as a full length video of the Tuesday morning GMA DWTS After Party on YouTube if you want to check it out.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Callaphera said:

I mean, what the hell is Sharna supposed to say? "Sorry guys, you're totes right, I don't deserve this. I'll just hand the win off to second place so you stop tweeting shitty things at me."? 

I don't expect Sharna to hand the trophy back.  As I previously mentioned, I enjoyed their freestyle as an entertainment piece.  So I do think that Sharna did her job and I don't expect her to quit on him.

I don't even expect Sharna to stop tweeting.  I don't think her tweets were classy.  I think if she would have left the last sentence off her first tweet and the last two sentences from her second tweet, then I think her tweets would have been fine.  She's human so of course, she is going to take things personally.  I also previously said that I don't think people should post negative things on Sharna's tweet.  However, she is the pro and representing DWTS, so I expect a little more professionalism.  Also ignoring negative tweets works well too so I can see why she would want to peace out.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, vdw84 said:

As for as Sharna feeling her win, then she needs to ignore the negativity.

Which is exactly why she's signing off twitter for now.

She should no by now that not everyone is going to like the winner no matter if they great dancer or not but in this case she should have known that the negativity was going to come. Noone cant take from u what u dont let them, again she is being delusional and naive like her partner.

IMHO, she's not being delusional.  She's being personally attacked.  Maybe there's some confusion as to whom Sharna is addressing her tweets.  Not general forums like this, nor the general public/media, but individuals who are negatively tweeting her account or negatively commenting on her social media because they want to personally vent their anger directly at her.  She could have responded better, but her frustration and defensiveness towards these individuals are understandable, imho.

As for negativity in general circles, she may not enjoy it and may soon tire of it, but she seems to understand it based on her comments.  She just doesn't want to deal with out-of-bounds personal attacks.

• Love 6
On 11/20/2018 at 4:25 PM, giaNtsandYankees said:

I'm sure even Tom was surprised by Bobby's win...

Ha, forget my Kanye comment, I'm sure a lot of people were hoping Tom had pulled a Steve Harvey or Warren Beatty. 

• Love 5
On 11/20/2018 at 2:15 PM, spanana said:

I also think it was somewhat enhanced by the fact that Bobby's other dance was kind of a joke dance too.  It probably wasn't a bad decision for playing to his fanbase and getting the win, since goofy Bobby is what they like to see, but his cha cha wasn't much of a cha cha either.  It was an MC Hammer dance with some badly done cha cha moves.  So he basically did two jokey dances for the win.  I was more shocked the judges fell all over themselves to give his freestyle a 10 when there was next to no dancing from him in the number. Again, that might be them knowing that he would win even if given 6's.  Or even gave the Hammer dance 8's. 

And in addition to Rashad, Nyle won Season 22 in May 2016.  Bindi won Season 21 in November 2015, and I don't consider her as having dance experience either.   Rumer won S20 and I'm not sure if people consider her as having experience or not.  I think there is this weird fallacy thing sometimes where every female is considered experienced if they have ever taken a dance class in their lives, but I can't honestly remember how experienced Rumer was or wasn't.  She certainly wasn't the best dancer in her season but she was good enough for a win.

Yes, exact,y! Bobby did two silly dances! Now if he had repeated his Foxtrot, for example, and then had that freestyle, it would have quelled some of the hate. 

Does anyone know how they choose the repeated dances these days? I thought it used to be one of their worst that needed improvement but that doesn't seem to be the case now. 

15 hours ago, Bridget said:

Side note: The guy sitting to Camryn’s right during the finals - does anyone other than me think that he might possibly be the friend that she asked to be a sperm donor? Go back, watch the footage and check out the guy’s features. Then tell me that Milo doesn’t resemble him at all. (We know Milo’s birth story, but I’m pretty sure Disney/ABC weren’t ready to use the phrases necessary to explain it to the rest of the world.) I’d be willing to guess that Milo knows who his bio dad is, but knows the situation as well.

Maybe his bio dad acts as a surrogate uncle or in another capacity that allows them to stay in touch, minus the whole “Milo, I’m your father” part? If Camryn felt comfortable enough to ask her male BFF for a donation, I’d like to think he’d still be one of her BFFs in 2018.

As a few others have said, Milo has posted about his dad on Instagram. His dad is part of his life. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I remembered that Helio COULD DANCE.  I just watched a YouTube of his Quick Step (yellow "banana" suit).  He was very good.  I can't see a comparison to Bobby at all.  Glad I just found this forum.  Now I'll be spending even MORE time at the computer.

Thank you for saying that Helio could dance....his dance where he is wearing the yellow suit was so fun & well done, I really enjoyed watching him.  He was having fun that year, he had a great attitude, he was what the show was all about back then, he had No dance experience but was willing to learn, and he got progressively better & people enjoyed watching him. 

• Love 14

I've been an avid viewer of DWTS since S1E1.  Honestly, I think I have missed possibly one episode in 27 seasons.  After what happened this past Monday, I would be fine with the show disappearing for good.  I went to some significant lengths to remain unspoiled (more on that below) but when I caught up on the finale last night, I'm sure my mouth dropped open more than Alexis's when the winning couple was announced.  I was extremely disappointed that JP and Cheryl did not get to dance in the finals, however I had come to terms with it and decided I would be perfectly satisfied to see either Milo or Evanna take the trophy with the other hopefully taking first runner up.  I just didn't want to see Alexis win as the showmance was gagworthy.  The fourth couple in the final was not of any consequence, obviously. Right.  I was just as shocked at that outcome as I had been at another vote back in November a couple of years back, another outcome that seemed simply inconceivable.

So the irony is the lengths I went to catch the ending unspoiled.  I watched the final on my DVR late Monday night/Tuesday morning but because Monday Night Football went 5 minutes over it's scheduled end time, DWTS started 5 minutes late in Los Angeles.  In other words, after sitting through the 30 minutes of content and 90 minutes of extraneous boring crap, my 2 hour recording ended 5 minutes early, that is I was watching these four couples be serenaded for some pointless reason (yeah, that's part of the 90 minutes, not the 30), when the recording abruptly ended.  ARRRGH!

So after avoiding SM and the web to the best of my ability all day Tuesday, I started the on demand feed as soon as I got home from work; the on demand feed that includes all the commercials and does not allow FF function!  Granted, I went to another room and did something useful for about the first hour and a half, but came back to rewatch the last half hour including those final 5 minutes.  When that result was announced, I was glad I had kept myself unspoiled.  If I had read that result on SM for example, I honestly think I would have figured it had to be a mistake or a joke by the poster.  No joke.  Just a travesty.  Along with the travesty of me spending nearly 4 hours of my life just to get to see that ending.  Feh!

• Love 11
On 11/20/2018 at 4:19 PM, catrice2 said:

I love the Argentine Tango but I almost feel like it needs sub categories....I don't think the ones set to pop music should bein the same category as the ones set to real tango music

Definitely. I agree, it's never a good Argentine Tango without the great music.  4 out of the 5 of my top 5  are real Tango- Jennifer and Derek - La Cumparasita     Nicole and Derek - Gotan Project     Gilles and Cheryl - Assassins Tango   JP and Cheryl -Libertango the only one not a "true" tango was Discombobulated from Sherlock Holmes. Zendaya/Val with an assist from Maks/Anna The music was so eerily reminicient of a Tango and the stagecraft on it was so good it's always worth a re-watch.

• Love 2

I don't know that I have a problem with Sharna's tweets, though I could do without pros/celebs constantly using the term "haters" like a bunch of children.  It also generally annoys me when they use it to reference every piece of criticism they ever get and not just the actual hate comments.  Not so much to do with the finale, but long time point of contention are the Vals or Jennas or Sharna's that will label people pointing out something crappy they did or trying to give them some constructive feedback based on something they actually did and calling it hate.  An example this season was Jenna posting some inane comment about the true DWTS being about people that couldn't dance like Joe and it's not SYTYCD and some other general shade towards those celebs with experience and then seemed gobsmacked that people dare responded to her and pointed out her hypocriticalness since she won with Adam the season before.  And of course to her everyone that didn't kiss her butt was a hater or a bully.

Also while I do think the direct hate being directed at Sharna & Bobby this season is probably greater than normal and I'm not defending those that are nasty for no reason, this does happen to an extent every season.  Just since Sharna has never won previously, she's usually been on the other side of the comments where people are mad on her behalf and not against her.  I can tell you with 100% certainty that both Rashad and David Ross got tons of social media hate from some of Normani's fans (not all, just a faction of her fanbase that was pissed) and I don't remember either of them even acknowledging it.  As did Emma & Lindsay as their pros, and again, I don't think they remotely acknowledged it.  Also whether Sharna was aware or not, her own fans have been on the hating side of the equation when they were defending James or Nick or whoever else. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, realdancemom said:

So I do think that Sharna did her job and I don't expect her to quit on him.

I think Sharna earned that mirror ball trophy...for doing her best with Bobby--and for her previous years of great work.  I believe that she feels the trophy is a little tarnished because she knows Bobby was one of the worst dancers--ever.  It's not called Begging with the Stars or Tweeting for the Stars.   Fortunately, I'm watching more cable and subscriber stuff these days, so I won't be forced to see whatever the next Bobby venture is.  I'm sure ABC has BIG plans for him (he's SO popular).   How long will it be before I can forget the shocked look on Tom's face?

• Love 6

I agree Sharna did her job. Except with the Freestyle. Sure it was "free" of the standard DWTS rules, but the "style" was nil. As far as Bobby's "dancing" is concerned. (At least there were no pelvic thrusts in this dance. I'm still trying to "brain bleach" those moves from last week out of my brain. lol)

I couldn't stand him at times, but the viewers voted him through. I honestly do wonder if DWTS had the Tuesday finale episode if things would be different (that and those in Mountain and Pacific time would have more time to vote).

I enjoyed watching Milo dance, and admired his maturity. He seemed to have more maturity than Bobby.

I also enjoyed watch Evanna grow, and her partnership with Keo. It was also a joy to see Keo's growth, and to see a Freestyle from him. I feel like that alone makes him and Evanna winners. They had a lovely journey.

I probably would have enjoyed Alexis if the showmance was not played up. When she dance I would find myself wondering why they had to play up to the showmance (sometimes I would think about the cardio exercise I just did).

I wish Evanna and Milo the best with their future endeavors. I hope big things come for them.

As far as Bobby is concerned, I have no worries as the only radio I listen to is Pandora, and I stopped watching American Idol after the fifth season. So him and his win will become a memory for me.

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 9

For me the winner has to have something endearing.  I'm sorry but even the seasons where someone won that I wasn't their fan, I appreciated the entertainment value they brought/  This season not so much. I think back to season 8 when Gilles fans were disappointed but recognized that what a thrill it was for his opponent a 17 year old to win.  Now, this win just slapped those other 17 year olds pretty darn hard.  Not that I' was a fan of Milo or Evanna necessarily, but either of them winning would put a finer point on what it means to work at the fundamentals of dance to win, rather than a cheezy dance  show that is  constantly reminding us that its solely in the business of marketing your mug all over television so you never have to dance again.  It sort of defeats the purpose of dance in the first place, and I for one hate that the draw of dance actually gets so disrespected.   When I think of people like Rashad Jennings winning the whole thing, he embraced dance and respected what it takes to win, it has just fell so far so fast.   

Sharna did her job and brought a non-dancer to a win. I only heard of this guy on this show and frankly I don't care if I ever see him again, anywhere.  He did nothing to inspire anything but contempt for Sharna's teaching with that stupid flossing.  People may think it's funny but to me it was just passive aggressive bullshit to disrespect teacher and get a few laughs.   Sharna had to deal with Andy Dick, and he was out of control drunk when he came back the following season.  So she's dealt with a lot.  What a shame she didn't get a win with that adorable funny Hinchcliffe who actually tried to please his audience and had some respect for her teaching.  

Edited by Dancelove
  • Love 11

I will admit that I have not scrutinized BB’s posts ... I am curious as to how many of Bobby’s votes were from non-viewers of DWTS. If he posted the voting info on social media and asked for votes (and non-viewers voted for him because he’s on their favorite morning show)... that bothers me.

• Love 7

A lot of Helio's winning backlash (which seems minimal now) was for a few reasons.

He was the 4th male in a row to win having Kelly only as the sole female winner by season 5, in a season with the likes of Mel B, Jennie Garth, and Sabrina Bryan. We as a audience assumed as charming as he was, he was destined for a 3rd place or runner up slot.

As disappointing as Mel B's freestyle was we didn't know the true impact of the freestyle or the charming male vote, and we assumed with how good Mel was and how great her and Maks were together, most assumed from her multiple perfect scores and a woman not winning that she was going to win and she had a 2 point lead on him in the finals, and she lost.

That's how it went down as a shocking victory because at the time we didn't realize the magnitude of the charming male vote, the vote for Julianne winning the previous season.

Had that result of Helio beating Mel happened 10 seasons later and we would have predicted it, and not been as surprised by it.

By with Bobby he was someone we all assumed would go far from his fanbase. I saw various predictions thinking he'd go out anywhere from 7th-4th place, but in most seasons when the odd man out made the finals (Bill Engvall, Drew Scott, David Ross, Bristol to name a few) they always got some form of 4th-2nd place. 

The shock of this comes down to that that "odd man out" finalist actually won. I blame many reasons. I blame the movement to get Sharna a win, I blame the fact that his fellow finalists didn't have that single strong backing like he did. The shippers got Alexis far, but the majority got tired of the showmance. Evanna and Milo had a strong backing of Disney and Potter fans, but a lot of casuals split their vote between those two. Add in the weird one night finale and weird last week votes mattering for the following week that we had, and it created the storm that was Bobby winning.

I don't care how many more seasons there are, 28, 31, 35, he will probably always be regarded as the shows least talented winner.

• Love 10
On 11/20/2018 at 7:36 PM, crowceilidh said:

I am fascinated by how closely Bobby's win narrative mirrors his own marketing narrative.  He's the underdog, nobody likes him.  That's his narrative.  Now look at his win.  

Somehow people are convinced by this narrative and now he has just created more of it.   'President Bobby Bones' has quite a ring to it.  BB 2024.

Shhhhh! You hush your mouth now. We don't want the fates to actually hear that and get any ideas! 

;-)

• Love 4
On 11/20/2018 at 1:04 PM, sinycalone said:

In response to the final quote in the MSN article:  how did Sharna and Bobby EARN the trophy, exactly?  

My thoughts exactly.

Bobby remained stilted in his dancing right to the finale. His technique is more stomping than gliding, no hip action for Latin dances and his arms are like poles extending from his torso. I understand he tried, but unfortunately, Bobby did not succeed in achieving some semblance of dance. I did not enjoy watching him "dance" one iota. Something tells me many of Bobby's fans didn't see him dance; they just voted for him without watching the show.

• Love 8
On 11/20/2018 at 4:07 PM, Callaphera said:

Isn't it traditional for freestyles to get perfect 30s in the past few seasons? I swear, you could fall on your ass and they would still give you a perfect 30. If you think about it another way, by giving everyone a perfect 30, they even the playing field and put the result in the hands of the viewers. 

Not so for Evan Lyscheck's freestyle. I was furious when the judges marked him down for for that dance.

On 11/20/2018 at 3:56 PM, LexieLily said:

I suppose it would have been too embarrassing for the show to have the winner never score above an 8 when everybody else was getting multiple perfect scores, or at least one perfect score. Juan Pablo had multiple perfect scores, too.

Problem is now the judges look absolutely foolish to have scored Bobby's freestyle a 30. That was no 30 and they know it. It will be very difficult for viewers to have any regard for the judges after this fiasco.

• Love 7
On 11/21/2018 at 2:17 AM, vdw84 said:

Someone on twitter had mentioned the believe ALexis supposed ex boyfriend is back following her again and was liking a couple of her pics. I don't know because I do not follow her and have no clue who her boyfriend was.

Alexis named Milo as the person she would most want to be stranded on an island with. That certainly says volumes that the showmance was just that......fake.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

My thoughts exactly.

Bobby remained stilted in his dancing right to the finale. His technique is more stomping than gliding, no hip action for Latin dances and his arms are like poles extending from his torso. I understand he tried, but unfortunately, Bobby did not succeed in achieving some semblance of dance. I did not enjoy watching him "dance" one iota. Something tells me many of Bobby's fans didn't see him dance; they just voted for him without watching the show.

I would suspect that 90% of the votes for Bobby were from fans who never watched the show the entire season.  Bobby (his individual and show accounts) both tweeted the phone # constantly and instructed them on how to vote online.  Every station that broadcasts his show did the same thing.  Plus, there were people like Maddie Poppe (who I love) begging their fans to vote for him.  And as others have posted, there were people on SM who never watched the show, but said Bobby should win because he promoted women, etc.  DWTS was treated like one of those stupid polls stations post for listeners to vote for their favorite pizza, snack, whatever.  I doubt many of the huge fanbase even considered for a moment that other contestants worked just as hard (if not harder), respected the show and their pro partners, and were actually FAR BETTER DANCERS.  (P.S.  If all of Bobby's fans were watching the show each week, wouldn't the ratings have reflected that?)

• Love 7
On 11/21/2018 at 3:22 AM, MsTree said:

Exactly! I'm so tired of Bobby's win being justified because it's a "popularity" contest. And while that might be true to a degree, the basis of the show is dancing, so how about some reasonable dancing along with the popular vote. Otherwise, if it's just a popularity (or favorite person) contest, how about ABC pay 10-12 celebs to just stand there week after week? Maybe read a poem, tell a few jokes...or do whatever they feel like doing. Then open up the phone lines and let's vote for our favorite person! Done...and now we don't have to judge their dancing on a show with the word "dancing" actually in the title!!

Agree. My thoughts exactly.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, alexa said:

This is the first time I have seen where the majority of the responses are negative for the win.

Wonder why none of Bobby's fans are posting on discussion forums (at least this one anyway). Do they want their username to be anonymous and are embarrassed for backing someone who honestly can not dance a lick?

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Did they break any rules? 

What you are stating is you just don't like his attitude which is totally fine not my cup of tea either. However, I really think people are going to far with this now. Where was this kind of vitriol when Helio won? He is the same level of dancer as Bobby but people just liked him better. 

Uh no. Helio was a much better dancer than Bobby. Watch his Quickstep again. Do you think Bobby could pull that off? As an aside, I did not ever vote for Helio. I had another horse in the race.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

And that is the show's biggest problem.....they've lost much of their original audience and rather than trying to get them back, they keep pushing on with things they think will attract a younger audience, which is not the main demographic for this type of show and is not working.

I'm one of the viewers that has stayed with the show since season 1. I almost bailed after Evan Lysacek lost to Pussy Cat Doll but......I came back the following season and have remained a loyal viewer. I know I'm in the minority at this point.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Plus, Sharna DID win, even if she shouldn't have this year. I think she's allowed to feel the win, even if we all didn't like how she won. And I say this avidly hating Bobby's victim blaming. 

If poor sportsmanship is allowing someone to feel a win then this show taught us nothing.  DWTS always been accused of manipulation for a desired outcome.  Nobody knows the vote tally and we are told to "trust" the system.  They point to the idea that they have laws after the game show scandal in the 50's to prevent it.  But that's about prize money.  Everyone gets paid to play a role on this show.  I don't "trust" the system,and this win feels manipulative, not deserved. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, luvthepros said:

I'm one of the viewers that has stayed with the show since season 1. I almost bailed after Evan Lysacek lost to Pussy Cat Doll but......I came back the following season and have remained a loyal viewer. I know I'm in the minority at this point.

Season 10 was my favorite season.....I went into it rooting for Evan and changed my loyalty to Erin and Maks after their first dance. I've often thought how great it would've been if they hadn't brought a Pussycat Doll on and we'd ended up with a finale of Evan, Erin and Ochocinco. Not that I think either of them would've beat Evan, but it would've been a much more even playing field.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Alexis named Milo as the person she would most want to be stranded on an island with. That certainly says volumes that the showmance was just that......fake.

It was also pretty obvious during the show how she was always with Milo and by the little flirty comments they would leave each other under posts.  Very stupid to try and pass off a fake romance on the show in front of cameras while at the same time showing who you really have a thing for away from the cameras.

2 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Uh no. Helio was a much better dancer than Bobby. Watch his Quickstep again. Do you think Bobby could pull that off? As an aside, I did not ever vote for Helio. I had another horse in the race.

For real. If Helio and Bobby went head to in a dance off Helio would wipe the floor with him.

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I did see an article about an interview Alfonso did a few days ago saying he was having a lot of the dancers over for Thanksgiving because, like him and his wife, they don't have family in LA. Annoying as he's become, it's nice that he does that and always includes them.

Yeah he's been doing that for a few years now and it is really sweet of him and his wife. And quite a few of the Pros do show up. I know I remember seeing pictures on Instagram where Artem, Emma, Sasha, Gleb, Keo, etc have all attended. 

19 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I think there needs to be some YouTube rewatching of Helio dances because while there were stronger female dancers in Season 5, Helio was a GOOD dancer and it astounds me that he is being compared to Bobby in terms of dance ability.

Helio scored a 25 for his Week 1 foxtrot and then a 27 for his Week 2 Mambo. His banana suit "The Mask" quickstep got a perfect score and is considered an iconic dance in DWTS history. 

Co-sign. Like I said, I was definitely a Mel fan that season and I found Helio plenty annoying and I do think there were a number of the Latin dances he wasn't exactly great at but not necessarily bad. But comparing what he produced in his winning season to the hot messes Bobby delivered week after week, is ridiculously unfair. That said, honestly, I was over Bobby winning less than an hour after it happened because frankly, in the grand scheme of things, this really is just a silly dance entertainment show. Not saying I would not have preferred seeing Milo win but yeah just not that big of a deal. It is what it is. 

3 hours ago, luvthepros said:

lol, this doesn't surprise me one bit. I saw a post-Finale interview with the four of them (Milo, Witney, Alexis and Alan) and Witney was standing in front of the three, with Alan to her left, Milo in the middle and Alexis to Witney's right, arms and body wrapped completely in Milo, instead of her big crush Alan, who was all the way on the other side. 

As for her ex-boyfriend following her again, I do know there was a poster, right as the fake showmance was ramping up, did share that word around was that it was all fake and that she had the boyfriend unfollow her to drive the fake showmance but that they were very much still together. 

5 minutes ago, howmanywords said:

It was also pretty obvious during the show how she was always with Milo and by the little flirty comments they would leave each other under posts.  Very stupid to try and pass off a fake romance on the show in front of cameras while at the same time showing who you really have a thing for away from the cameras.

It would be the most hilarious (and completely unsurprising to me) thing ever if in a few months it comes out that Alexis and Milo are a thing. Those Alan and Alexis shippers would feel really dumb. Kind of like the Maks and Meryl shippers when they realized Maks was very much back with Peta and Meryl was with her coach's son, who she'd been with for years, the whole time. 

• Love 4
13 hours ago, ShellyD said:

I will admit that I have not scrutinized BB’s posts ... I am curious as to how many of Bobby’s votes were from non-viewers of DWTS. If he posted the voting info on social media and asked for votes (and non-viewers voted for him because he’s on their favorite morning show)... that bothers me.

I said this same thing a little bit ago. Yup....not all those votes came from viewers of the show.

• Love 4

Had a bit of a thought about Bobby's narrative. I felt in Week 1 that as a dancer, he really wasn't terrible at all -- he was kind of raw and wild, but there seemed, to me, like something to build on there. He had a better understanding of rhythm than some truly awful contestants have, and did execute actual choreography. And then came the next week and the flossing antics, and the wheels fell off. He was the funny underdog guy, in his telling, and heavens, it's hard to be up against all these trained celebs! All a guy's got to go on is his fans! We get to the point where he's boasting about doing a few actual dance steps in a routine, indicating he proudly hasn't the prior weeks, and this merits reward. Culminating in a walk-and-talk freestyle and, as noted, a redo of another goofy dance, which wasn't terrible for what it was choreographed to be but sure wasn't a cha cha.

This is the long way of getting to the idea that I don't think Bobby was as hapless as he played himself out to be. I think he could have actually done something here, even if he'd still be inferior to the other finalists, or J-P, technically. Even Joe by the end was obviously better than he had been; Bobby got worse after Week 1 (not unheard of given the extra rehearsal time), and then more or less stagnated from Week 2 on.* But it's almost like actually working heavily to improve as a ballroom dancer and take Sharna's work seriously would have undermined the feel-good story that a guy can overcome all odds and beat all superiors through sheer...popularity among people who vote for a reality show.

*His contemporary was pretty basic but, like the jive, suggested he wasn't completely hopeless. On the other hand, it was his one big shot to play up his backstory, and was a chance to try for some crossover votes.

On 11/20/2018 at 4:26 PM, Toonces464 said:

Charlie stopped following Sharna, and most everyone related to DWTS, years ago. 

Double-checked on this out of curiosity and Charlie does still follow Sharna and several other pros -- which is fair, as Sharna also did choreography for D/W a while after the show -- though I was reminded by a friendly exchange between Charlie and Cheryl a few days ago that they worked with her even more recently thanks to Love on the Floor.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

I couldn't stand him at times, but the viewers voted him through.

Makes one wonder what demographic DWTS finally attained; they worked so hard for "young."  They want a younger audience, but the older ones have the bucks (generally).

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, luvthepros said:

Yup....not all those votes came from viewers of the show.

This has gone on in the past.  Sarah Palin's fans voted for Bristol.  Some religious groups had calling trees for their favorite Fundamentalists.  In Bobby's/Sharna's case, voting was well-coordinated  and MASSIVE!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

It would be the most hilarious (and completely unsurprising to me) thing ever if in a few months it comes out that Alexis and Milo are a thing. Those Alan and Alexis shippers would feel really dumb. Kind of like the Maks and Meryl shippers when they realized Maks was very much back with Peta and Meryl was with her coach's son, who she'd been with for years, the whole time. 

To this day I do not believe Meryl ever broke up with Fedor.

3 hours ago, lavenderblue said:

Double-checked on this out of curiosity and Charlie does still follow Sharna and several other pros -- which is fair, as Sharna also did choreography for D/W a while after the show -- though I was reminded by a friendly exchange between Charlie and Cheryl a few days ago that they worked with her even more recently thanks to Love on the Floor.

Were you looking at Twitter or Instagram? I was talking about Instagram and the only people from DWTS he still follows on there are Derek, Tony, Erin, Cheryl, Lindsay, Witney and Sasha. I don't follow Charlie on Twitter so maybe he does still follow here there.

On 11/21/2018 at 3:06 PM, calipiano81 said:

Even though I was voting for Mel B whom I believe should’ve won, I agree with this whole heartedly.  Helio was a strong dancer who had no prior dance experience.   So, even though he won when I would have preferred Mel B won,  I could live with it.  There is no parallel to Bobby Bones.

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Dancelove said:

If poor sportsmanship is allowing someone to feel a win then this show taught us nothing.  DWTS always been accused of manipulation for a desired outcome.  Nobody knows the vote tally and we are told to "trust" the system.  They point to the idea that they have laws after the game show scandal in the 50's to prevent it.  But that's about prize money.  Everyone gets paid to play a role on this show.  I don't "trust" the system,and this win feels manipulative, not deserved. 

for game shows...these are entertainment shows.....on old seasons of idol they put on the screen in teeny tiny  letters that they control the outcome...those laws con't apply

• Love 2
On 11/19/2018 at 7:21 PM, Jaclyn88 said:

I'm confused . Isn't the finale usually bigger and 2 days ? Don't they usually go from the final four to final three and so on before the winner is announced ? Why do they spend so much time on filler performances when I'm pretty sure most of us would rather see them narrow down the number of dancers and give the winner more than one second of airtime .. bobby winning was definitely a shock . I knew Alexis wouldn't but really thought it would be milo . 

I thought they went from 4th 3rd 2nd  to first.....does tom have a little bug in his ear where they can tell him things..they probably told him just announce the winner.....that pic where is is looking at the results in his hand holy moly...I think they knew if they announced each place there was going to be A LOT of booing and they just ran with announce the winner

so after this...who is going to sign up to do this show?????   I wonder how many people are rethinking doing the show

so I read somewhere that people didn't think he could win and his fans were rabid about making it happen...at any cost and didn't matter how he or anyone else danced.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, luvthepros said:

Alan also answered "Milo" to the same question LOL

• Love 2
12 hours ago, sue450 said:

so after this...who is going to sign up to do this show?????   I wonder how many people are rethinking doing the show

No one who thinks a win is important, I guess.   Maybe those who need/want more exposure.  There are certainly LOTS of viewers who know Milo now...and he'll  get offers he would not have had otherwise.  

Edited by HaaCHOO
no need to use "certainly" twice in the same sentence
  • Love 1
On 11/21/2018 at 7:16 PM, HaaCHOO said:

I think Sharna earned that mirror ball trophy...for doing her best with Bobby--and for her previous years of great work

I agree with this completely. She did her job. She did her best to teach him to dance and then,  when that was impossible, she did her best to hide his weaknesses.  She is probably as amazed as anybody that they won.

And in regard to the seasons where she lost and should have one, she accepted  it graciously and like a professional.  There was no whining about the judges and there was no whining about Derek Hough as Maks did.

Edited by Kid
  • Love 9