Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Having said all of that, there have been many more things I've hated about this show than things I've liked, and I'm still watching, LOL. It's just that my love for the things I've liked (namely OTA and Olicity) is enough to outweigh the things I've hated. At least so far. *ominous chuckle*

Yeah, I hate so much about this show, but love the things I love enough for it to be worth keeping up with it (so far). Steve's clarification in the paragraphs after the comment make it seem like he's all for pissing fans off because they're just not going to stop watching no matter what, which is true until it isn't, and isn't what you should be going for, LOL. 

• Love 6
(edited)

JB interview at Denver Comic Con this weekend...

Presley Interviews John Barrowman at Denver Comic Con 2018
Published on Jun 17, 2018, by actoutgames

-- JB talked a lot about his Hollow Earth children's book series about 12-year-old twins with extraordinary abilities related to art (co-written with his sister Carole).

-- JB talked about musical theatre. He also told a story about being at an HVFF in NJ with Arrow cast members when they were all frantically trying to get tickets to Hamilton and paying thousands of dollars for bad seats. JB simply called Cameron Mackintosh's office and got free tickets for house seats (about 7 rows back). He told his Arrow cast mates that they should've just told him because he has "connections." 

-- JB warned that LGBTQ rights could easily be taken away and that people have to keep speaking up and fighting.

-- JB gave some book recommendations (The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, Dune by Frank Herbert, Winnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne, and Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews).

-- JB and his sister are working on a new graphic novel (working title is Cursed).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

This SA interview is a mixture of nonspoilery and spoilerish comments, so I've quoted the nonspoilery portions below and the spoilerish portions in the Spoilers thread...

Why Stephen Amell Wants The ‘Arrow’ Writers To Live Like There’s No Tomorrow In Season 7
Jun 15th 2018 | Mitch Knox
http://themusic.com.au/interviews/all/2018/06/15/stephen-amell-mitch-knox/

“One of the things that I’m most proud about is that, 25 years from now, if they made a Green Arrow film, they would have to make it with John Diggle and Felicity Smoak and Thea Queen and Sara Lance and a lot of the characters that we’ve brought in and have created as we’ve gone along. I hope that not only do those characters start to exist in the comic books if they haven’t already – and some of them have – but I would hope that if you were looking at the blueprint of how to do a successful Arrow show, people would be like, ‘Yeah, you have to have those characters – those characters are a part of it now.’ And the fact that we created a bunch of them, or at least reconstituted some of them in some instances, that’s the most impactful thing that we’ve done.”

It's funny that he says this. While I wouldnt have any problem seeing any of these characters readapted again, it's like saying you have to have Chloe Sullivan in new Superman adaptions. Sure it'd be cool but the likelihood of having most of them, especially all of them? That's setting himself up to be disappointed in the future when the character gets rebooted. Just like the likihood of Cisco/Caitlin/Wells all making it into reboots of The Flash is slim, none of which will likely make it into the upcoming Flash movie.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

So Evil Story Steve says it would be exciting to have 4 people die in the season opener. 

Please let Rene, Dinah, Curtis and Diaz die.

Thanks

No death wishes for BS?  Lol. 

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

We've all come to accept that she will NEVER die for.....reasons!

Unless you want her dead and then have another version of her crop up because.........reasons =P 

• Love 5

Saying four people strikes me as he's aware of which four people fans want to die.

But it's really stupid to say that if people get angry they're still engaged. All he has to do is look at the audience drop for seasons 4+.

1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'd venture a guess that most people want one of the two Black Birds gone. Except for those who think it's great TV to have them screaming at each other.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

It's funny that he says this. While I wouldnt have any problem seeing any of these characters readapted again, it's like saying you have to have Chloe Sullivan in new Superman adaptions. Sure it'd be cool but the likelihood of having most of them, especially all of them? That's setting himself up to be disappointed in the future when the character gets rebooted. Just like the likihood of Cisco/Caitlin/Wells all making it into reboots of The Flash is slim, none of which will likely make it into the upcoming Flash movie.

I don’t think he’s that far off. New adaptations might not include all the characters he’s mentioned but even the newest version of Robin Hood has a Diggle. Also, the Iris in The Flash movie is African-American. As far as I know that’s never happened in the comics, only on TV. So I think these shows can have a small affect on cannon here and there.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

it's like saying you have to have Chloe Sullivan in new Superman adaptions

Not a Superman adaptation, but "Clark's friend Chloe" was mentioned in an episode of Supergirl.

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought we did a great job of introducing a couple of new characters – or not introducing, per se, but really weaving a few characters into the fabric of the show. I thought that was great.

If Stephen’s referring to Rene, Curtis and Dinah with this comment then I don’t think I’d classify what the writers did to them to as a “great job” when in came to weaving them into the show.  They basically took three characters that fans were kind of okay with and turned them into characters a lot of fans now want off the show.  

I still don’t completely understand how MG and WM ended up veering so far off track in thinking they were telling an even handed story and completely misjudging where audience loyalties would lie with the team split.

Edited by kes0704
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Saying four people strikes me as he's aware of which four people fans want to die.

Those just happen to be all the original characters that have had the biggest impact. Thea/Diggle are generally liked amongst all fans.

5 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I don’t think he’s that far off. New adaptations might not include all the characters he’s mentioned but even the newest version of Robin Hood has a Diggle. Also, the Iris in The Flash movie is African-American. As far as I know that’s never happened in the comics, only on TV. So I think these shows can have a small affect on cannon here and there.

They for sure have small affects on canon but he is saying you need ALL these characters which is ridiculous. 

2 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Not a Superman adaptation, but "Clark's friend Chloe" was mentioned in an episode of Supergirl.

It was a cool Easter egg. Though now I think everyone will probably ignore the character for obvious reasons. 

(edited)

Well Arrows version of Felicity Smoak and John Diggle already HAVE been incorporated into the comics and in Felicity's case two different comics..... so Stephens comments weren't/aren't ridiculous.

ETA: Also let's not pretend that the GA comics don't take inspiration from the show all the time despite their denials. It's something we all regularly talk about in the comic thread. The fact that they sometimes bare a striking resemblance. 

Also until Smallville and Arrow Green Arrow was hardly a known quantity/brand. Arrow has turned him into a much bigger character for mainstream audiences. Same to Black Canary and Wild Dog. 

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 9
(edited)
8 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

We've all come to accept that she will NEVER die for.....reasons!

Unless you want her dead and then have another version of her crop up because.........reasons =P 

Another version of her has already cropped up: Siren-X.  So even if Black Siren were to die (unlikely), the focus would then switch to redemption for Siren-X (who lost the love of her life, Dark Arrow, to Overgirl in life and then to death by GA).

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Regarding SA's recent canon quote from his The Music Australia interview and subsequent tweet...

Stephen Amell Defends New ‘Arrow’ Additions As Integral To Character’s Canon
by NOAH VILLAVERDE on JUNE 17, 2018
https://heroichollywood.com/arrow-stephen-amell-canon-characters/

Although the Green Arrow character has been beloved by DC Comics fans for decades before Arrow premiered on The CW, many believe that the series brings a certain new significance to the history of the character as well as the canon and mythology – even with some of its original characters created for the series itself. In particular, Stephen Amell is adamant about the original characters’ integral role within Green Arrow canon.
Amell doubled down on his stance regarding the series’ characters being significant to the entire Green Arrow canon moving forward on his official Twitter. Amell calls out people who are complaining about that idea:
In a recent interview with the Australian publication The Music, Amell mentioned how proud he was to be part of adding new significance to Green Arrow – particularly with the series characters such as John Diggle, Felicity Smoak, Thea Queen and Sara Lance:
Amell is absolutely right on this point. With Arrow about to enter its seventh season, one cannot dismiss the impact that the show has had, not only within the canon of Green Arrow comics, but also in establishing the rest of The CW’s Arrowverse shows that include The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl all of which also bring new layers to the canon of their respective titles.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mary0360 said:

Well Arrows version of Felicity Smoak and John Diggle already HAVE been incorporated into the comics and in Felicity's case two different comics..... so Stephens comments weren't/aren't ridiculous.

ETA: Also let's not pretend that the GA comics don't take inspiration from the show all the time despite their denials. It's something we all regularly talk about in the comic thread. The fact that they sometimes bare a striking resemblance. 

Also until Smallville and Arrow Green Arrow was hardly a known quantity/brand. Arrow has turned him into a much bigger character for mainstream audiences. Same to Black Canary and Wild Dog. 

Whose pretending? I've said they'd have effects outside of Arrow. SA is saying Green Arrow needs ALL these characters to be successful which is what I've said is a stretch. Felicity isn't even part of TA in the comics anymore and had no ties to him in Bombshells. 

Taking from tv/movies/toons has existed from the dawn of time. Some characters make a HUGE impact (Barbara Gordon, Harley, kryptonite) but the feeling that every.single.character Arrow has introduced needs to be part of future adaptations is a stretch. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Whose pretending? I've said they'd have effects outside of Arrow. SA is saying Green Arrow needs ALL these characters to be successful which is what I've said is a stretch. Felicity isn't even part of TA in the comics anymore and had no ties to him in Bombshells. 

SA is entitled to his opinion about how he thinks future GA stories should be told, just like the people who insist that any GA story MUST be told with BC (even though it's worked just fine without her in Smallville, the new 52, and in a certain way, Arrow.)

• Love 7
40 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

SA is entitled to his opinion about how he thinks future GA stories should be told, just like the people who insist that any GA story MUST be told with BC (even though it's worked just fine without her in Smallville, the new 52, and in a certain way, Arrow.)

Him being entitled to an opinion was never in question. 

5 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Taking from tv/movies/toons has existed from the dawn of time. Some characters make a HUGE impact (Barbara Gordon, Harley, kryptonite) but the feeling that every.single.character Arrow has introduced needs to be part of future adaptations is a stretch. 

Felicity is not in the Green Arrow comics currently but as far as I'm aware there's no article where they say she will never appear in any future iteration of the comics again. And isn't Diggle still in the comics? And Emiko might as well be called Thea as she sounds like she was basically written as a copy of Thea. In some of the art work for Emiko they even make her look like Thea. 

Also in Bombshells Felicity works with Dinah Lance and isn't one of the plots that she gets kidnapped by a possessed Oliver Queen and Dinah and the rest of the bombshells try to save Felicity and save/stop Oliver (or something to that effect. I'm just going from memory of scans  @tv echo posted in the GA thread as I stopped reading picture books when I was 4) So she does have indirect ties to a version of Green Arrow even though it's not romantic ties.  Regardless she was still a character that DC were inspired by and saw was popular enough to transition into a comic series so in a way the show has already created a legacy with their original character on the character's own merits beyond just her ties to Green Arrow mythos. Whose to say she won't pop up in other comic series down the line.  And Arrows original characters leaving a legacy I'm guessing was the gist of SA's opinion. 

It just seems to me that the online reaction to SAs quote stems from the same old comic fan entitlement that things should be done a specific way aka the way they expect and only that way. But you would think that stories around characters who've exsisted for 70 years need to evolve and include new characters and concepts and not rinse, wash and repeat the same old if they want to be relevant for another 70 years especially given that comic readership is eclipsed multiple times over by viewership of comic tv shows and movies.  

• Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Another version of her has already cropped up: Siren-X.  So even if Black Siren were to die (unlikely), the focus would then switch to redemption for Siren-X (who lost the love of her life, Dark Arrow, to Overgirl in life and then to death by GA).

Redeeming Nazi!Laurel might be a bit more....um, problematic.

Edited by Starfish35
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Redeeming Nazi!Laurel might be a bit more....um, problematic.

Since they think they're successfully redeeming LL2 Laurel, who earlier this season killed a guard with 2 daughters who was begging for his life and was scolded even by Cayden James for unnecessary killing, I'm sure they feel they can redeem NaziLaurel.  She was just indoctrinated by evil people and the man she loved didn't love her back. Easy peasy to redeem her, it wasn't her fault.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

Felicity is not in the Green Arrow comics currently but as far as I'm aware there's no article where they say she will never appear in any future iteration of the comics again. And isn't Diggle still in the comics? And Emiko might as well be called Thea as she sounds like she was basically written as a copy of Thea. In some of the art work for Emiko they even make her look like Thea. 

Also in Bombshells Felicity works with Dinah Lance and isn't one of the plots that she gets kidnapped by a possessed Oliver Queen and Dinah and the rest of the bombshells try to save Felicity and save/stop Oliver (or something to that effect. I'm just going from memory of scans  @tv echo posted in the GA thread as I stopped reading picture books when I was 4) So she does have indirect ties to a version of Green Arrow even though it's not romantic ties.  Regardless she was still a character that DC were inspired by and saw was popular enough to transition into a comic series so in a way the show has already created a legacy with their original character on the character's own merits beyond just her ties to Green Arrow mythos. Whose to say she won't pop up in other comic series down the line.  And Arrows original characters leaving a legacy I'm guessing was the gist of SA's opinion. 

It just seems to me that the online reaction to SAs quote stems from the same old comic fan entitlement that things should be done a specific way aka the way they expect and only that way. But you would think that stories around characters who've exsisted for 70 years need to evolve and include new characters and concepts and not rinse, wash and repeat the same old if they want to be relevant for another 70 years especially given that comic readership is eclipsed multiple times over by viewership of comic tv shows and movies.  

I never said she wouldnt appear in the comics again just as I have no problem with any of these characters continue to flourish outside of the show, just think SA thinking they are all needed to for GA to be successful is out there. Emiko appeared a 6 months after Thea and may have been inspired by the show giving Oliver a sister though their stories coincided with one another.

1 hour ago, Mary0360 said:

Nazi dolls! Just what every little boy and girl needs in their toy collection. 

Seriously reprehensible 

For so many multiple reasons I won't detail, I find this disgusting.

• Love 10
(edited)

25 best Arrow episodes to watch on Netflix
by Brittany Frederick   June 19, 2018
https://netflixlife.com/2018/06/19/best-arrow-episodes-watch-netflix/

Arrow is one of the best superhero series on television.

The CW‘s reimagining of the Green Arrow has won over legions of TV viewers, spawned an entire universe of related shows, and still has a huge presence as it goes into its seventh season this fall.

Stephen Amell shines as a darker, tougher Oliver Queen AKA Green Arrow, making us forget that this was the guy who played the other quarterback on Blue Mountain State. He’s surrounded by a capable supporting cast—full of heroes, villains and everyone in between.
21. Underneath
Oliver Queen has had plenty of love interests over the course of Arrow history, but the show has settled on the romance between Oliver and Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards) as its one true pairing. Whether you ship Olicity or not, “Underneath” was an episode that put the relationship at the forefront—because it trapped the two of them in a bunker.

There are a lot of shows that have taken the general concept of trapping a certain number of characters in a space, and thus forcing them to confront their issues because they’re literally unable to do anything but sit there and talk about them. It seems cheesy, but oftentimes you do get good episodes out of them because there’s nowhere else to be. “Underneath” is one of those episodes.

Amell and Rickards have to carry the bulk of the episode on their shoulders, and they do so really well, like a mini-play where you see how much each character has invested in the other. Elsewhere, Diggle (David Ramsey) and Lyla (The Unit‘s Audrey Marie Anderson) have a much-needed heart-to-heart, too. Good to get all that relationship baggage out of the way, and good to watch to remind us that superheroes are people too.
19. Lone Gunmen
The first season of Arrow is home to many of the show’s best episodes. Season 1 was tightly plotted, well cast and did a fantastic job interweaving the superhero portion of the show with Oliver Queen’s ordinary life (if you could call it ordinary). “Lone Gunmen” was an example of how the storylines didn’t always have to be primarily about Oliver the vigilante.

This is the episode where his future wife Felicity Smoak was first introduced, back then just a bashful genius working in Queen Consolidated’s IT department. It’s the episode where John Diggle found out that Oliver was Arrow. And it’s also the episode where Oliver discovered that Laurel had been sleeping with Tommy after his supposed death. Plus, Deadshot!

There’s a lot going on in “Lone Gunmen” and much of it has effects later on throughout the season and series. Aside from the realization that poor Tommy is going to get his heart broken because it shows that there’s unfinished business between Laurel and Oliver, it’s also a lot to love.

We have a fine villain in the master marksman Deadshot (Michael Rowe), but the real questions are how Oliver’s relationships with Diggle and Laurel are affected by new information. All of the drama in a superhero’s life doesn’t have to come from supervillains.
16. The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak
Once Arrow decided to make Felicity Smoak a recurring character, and later a main character, it had to flesh her out a bit more. The best example of that was in the creatively titled “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak” from Arrow season 3.

Starling City comes under attack by a cyber-virus that has connections to Felicity’s past, while her mother picks a really inconvenient time to show up as well. Both of those things result in a ton of her backstory being pulled out of the proverbial closet, and we realize that she came a long way before she was the reserved tech support girl working at Queen Consolidated.

Arrow reveals that years earlier Felicity was a goth hacker and dating a man named Cooper, who was arrested by the FBI. For one, seeing Emily Bett Rickards made up as a goth hacker is worth the price of admission alone. But for two, Cooper is played by Nolan Gerard Funk, whom audiences may remember when he and Grant Gustin both played Dalton Academy students on Glee.

The plot is fairly easy to guess—Cooper is back and now he’s a bad guy who kidnaps Felicity and her mother to force her to help him in his latest plot. “The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak” may not offer anything new in the story, but it opens up a fan favorite character in whole new ways.

25. Pilot
24. Docket No. 11-19-41-73
23. Human Target
22. Taken
21. Underneath
20. Legends of Yesterday
19. Lone Gunmen
18. Legacies
17. Three Ghosts
16. The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak
15. The Scientist
14. Haunted
13. Deathstroke Returns
12. Birds of Prey
11. Muse of Fire
10. The Climb
9. Lian Yu
8. Vertigo
7. Invasion!
6. Suicide Squad
5. Crisis on Earth-X, Part 2
4. Kapiushon
3. Vendetta
2.  City of Heroes
1. Sacrifice

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Another article about SA's recent canon quote from his The Music Australia interview...

Stephen Amell Hopes Characters Created By Arrow Endure In Comics And Movies
Eric Joseph   June 19, 2018
http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/stephen-amell-hopes-characters-created-arrow-endure-comics-movies/

Though Arrow has played host to a wealth of characters taken from the comics such as Black Canary, Arsenal, Mr. Terrific, the Atom and the Emerald Archer himself, it’s also injected new personalities into the mythos throughout its run. In fact, this is a familiar practice for TV shows in the genre, lest we forget that Chloe Sullivan and Lionel Luthor were unknown quantities before Smallville came around.

Before the series debuted in 2012, one could imagine Oliver Queen existing without the likes of John Diggle or Felicity Smoak orbiting him, but now it just seems downright impossible to do so. Given that, lead actor Stephen Amell hopes these additions to the enduring tale stick around long after he’s hung up his leather hood, saying the following in an interview with The Music Australia:
As luck would have it, John Diggle and Felicity Smoak were written into Green Arrow comics beginning with the New 52, even if the latter had originally existed as an obscure Firestorm character back in the ’80s. When it comes to Thea, she was TV’s new spin on Mia Dearden, but I guess anything’s possible. Sara Lance, meanwhile, has yet to make the jump to the printed page.

Like we said earlier, it’s not uncommon for TV shows to shift the paradigm. Don’t forget, Adam West’s Batman restored the likes of the Riddler to prominence, changed a certain villain’s name from “Mr. Zero” to “Mr. Freeze,” and introduced the Barbara Gordon version of Batgirl. When you think about it, the Arrowverse has done the same in certain respects.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

The podcast (audio only) recording of this Shaken Not Nerd interview with DR (in Melbourne, AU) was previously posted upthread on June 8th, but now a video of this same interview has been published (transcriptions were done previously in connection with the podcast)...

-- DR: "You know something, we're creating a new mythos here with John Diggle. It's never existed before. It's great to play a character that, you know, is new, original. Someone 20 years from now in a revitalization of this show will be a new John Diggle. And it never existed before I played him."

T'S A WHOLE THING! Interview with David Ramsey (Arrow, Dexter) - Guess Whom
Published on Jun 19, 2018, by Shaken Not Nerd

Edited by tv echo

I think it's cool that they get to create these characters that then live on in the mythology long after DR has stopped acting (whenever he does).

He's pretty safe with Diggle, Digg's exactly the kind of character the comics love -- a fighter, former army, perfect sidekick.  I wonder how long Felicity will last though, she's got the tech smarts that will come in handy but she's a spoiler for the GA/BC romance.

2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I think it's cool that they get to create these characters that then live on in the mythology long after DR has stopped acting (whenever he does).

He's pretty safe with Diggle, Digg's exactly the kind of character the comics love -- a fighter, former army, perfect sidekick.  I wonder how long Felicity will last though, she's got the tech smarts that will come in handy but she's a spoiler for the GA/BC romance.

They'd either do a love triangle, repurpose the character like put her back with Firestorm mythos, or just have her be a regular team member.  Or she'll just fade into oblivion and used here and there like Chloe.

Yeah, I don't expect an adult Felicity to ever show up in another Green Arrow comic. She's such a divisive character for fans of the comics that I just don't think it was a smart move to put her in there in the first place. Even if she never had a relationship with Oliver, the possibility would be hanging over everything (kinda like the endless parade of Black Canaries for some people wrt Arrow). I'd like to see her stick around in some capacity though - I liked how they used her in Bombshells. 

I would laugh forever and ever if they ever create a Green Arrow movie and choose to pair him with Felicity Smoak :P I mean, I think the chances are slim to nil and if WB/DC ever get the balls to go with that, that film is gonna be trolled hard by haters like Ghostbusters was. Then again, I would think a lot of people now pair up Oliver Queen with Felicity Smoak because of the TV show, so, who knows?

• Love 3

I adore that she still tries to go to acting classes and believes she's still green! She's not egotistical or arrogant at all! Looooooooooveeeeee her!!!!!!!!! *heart eyes*

Is it weird that I find her outfits strange (and own nothing like that) but I kinda wish I could pull them off? Lol if I was friends with her I'd probably try to copy her clothes once in a while! There is something randomly cool about her clothes! 

I love hearing her talk about acting! She's so articulate.

She's such a cool girl but soooooooooooo nice *fangirling madly*

I think I'm in love! Well more in love! 

• Love 3

That was such a great interview. The real story about why they gave her the couch when they were filming 621 is hilarious. Poor Emily, suffering for her art.

• Love 1
(edited)

Loved that interview! Now I'm curious about which dress she wore that she couldn't sit down in? I dig when she gets to talk about the technical aspects of acting. (And I don't get why people are getting salty on Twitter about her pregnancy comment. I don't think she was insulting moms; she's just fully aware of how the show does a bad job at juggling multiple storylines for any character that isn't Oliver.)

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Trisha said:

Loved that interview! Now I'm curious about which dress she wore that she couldn't sit down in? 

It was the cream colored dress she was wearing in 621.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Trisha said:

(And I don't get why people are getting salty on Twitter about her pregnancy comment. I don't think she was insulting moms; she's just fully aware of how the show does a bad job a juggling multiple storylines for any character that isn't Oliver.)

Some of fandom seem to take her comments so personally and it does tend to be the fans who are already moms. It’s like she can’t say anything negative about the baby storyline because somehow she’s insulting their real lives? IDK. Kinda odd tbh. 

I totally see why she’s wary of a pregnancy storyline, given how they’ve written for her the last year or so. Maybe I’m doing the new writers a disservice but I just can’t see them handling it well on Arrow, however much I’d love Felicity to juggle it all. 

• Love 13

She didn't even address the baby directly. Just said she wanted more for Felicity than her just revolving around the relationship. And she said she didn't like the pregnancy manips which I always found as creepy as heck and no one wants that baby more than me!

Are people getting really worked up about it?

• Love 5
(edited)

Transcription of portions of above-posted Daily Hive video interview with EBR...

-- On whether she knew that her character would live on longer when she went to do her one-day audition for Arrow six years ago, EBR: "Oh, no... Well, then, I was just feeling so fortunate to have a day of work that wasn’t, you know, at the dog shop I was working at! (Laughs) And so, um, and sort of getting, you know, sort of the other side, 'cause I was still in class back then too and just sort of being like, 'oh, this is what -' you know, I get to walk on set for a couple hours, something I've prepared for for a very long time - and it's like, oh, there's a little bit of validation and solidifying that, um, sort of person that I was trying to materialize, to a certain extent. Um, and I really liked Felicity's sides. They were some of the best sides I'd read in Vancouver at the time. Like, there hadn't been a lot of, you know, full auditions and sides sent my way. And, yeah, I was just really grateful and it was super fun. And then, I had no idea, 'cause I was so green in terms of - I mean, I still am to a certain extent, 'cause I've only ever been on this one show for a period of time. Um, but yeah, nobody knew. Nobody knew. The show was so new and, um, she was only written for that one episode, those two scenes we did at the CBC radio station, which is also two minutes that way. So yeah, it was a good day!”

-- On how long it took before her one-day gig turned into a recurring role on Arrow, EBR: "Well, it took a full season to sort of understand the gravitas of what she was, you know, becoming in that universe... So that was episode 3 and then I think I was in - I might have been in 4, but definitely like around 7 or 8, they were like, 'we're going to use you for a couple more, um, like 12 and 13,' and stuff like that. But that jargon, like 'recurring,' 'regular', wasn't even in my vocabulary to a certain extent. It was sort of like, acting, working, what days, like 'when do you need me, at what time?' ... I didn't know what she was becoming."

-- Per EBR, it was about four years after she moved away from home and started acting school that she got the Arrow audition and Felicity role. Before that she was teaching yoga and then working at the dog shop.

-- In response to SA's March 28, 2018 tweet about EBR getting her own on-set couch, EBR: "You want to know the secret behind that couch. The dress was so tight that if I sat upright, I'd rip it. So I needed a couch that day. So it wasn't a special treatment, it was more like purgatory." Interviewer mentioned someone's online comment that "when you're holding up the show on your own, you get tired." EBR (laughing): "You get tired! I hated that dress. I hated that dress."

-- On whether it's weird to have fans have theories about her character and dissect her work, EBR: "I tell you, social media is super, super weird because - I mean like, I'm so grateful for the fandom and everyone's usually very, very nice. And I'm not afraid of opinions - have your own opinion about, you know, tv, movies, art, in any way, you know, whatever you want. But seeing pictures of my body edited to pregnant, that's where the line is drawn for me. I can't do that anymore... So I don't scroll too deep."

-- When interviewer mentioned EBR's previous comment about not wanting Felicity to be pregnant, EBR: "I did say that and I regretted saying it right afterwards because I got some hate. I said that just because I didn't want her to revolve around just being in this relationship. That's why."

-- EBR: "I am definitely a creature of habit. So I'll wake up in the morning and I'll do sort of the same things I do here. Like, I'll have coffee and I'll work out and then I'll go someplace where I'll need to sit down for a couple hours."

-- On the difference between working on a theatre play and working on a tv show like Arrow that she's been on for seven years, EBR: "I think with TV - I mean, especially on the show that I work on - we get our scripts - you know, in the season, we get them like seven days, maybe, if we're lucky. I mean, that would be like the maximum time we have it before we start shooting. Um, sometimes it's like the day before. So what I'm saying, like, things keep changing two weeks on the same material, you just don't get as much time, right, on your character, on your scene work... And a lot of the times you don't know where your character's going, which is fine, because your character doesn't know where they're going to a certain extent. But it's nice to see things like fleshed out. Like, there's something to be said about like seeing a full round. But then again, you know, acting on the spot and being instinctual and sort of, um, living with what you have is a diffferent technique and a different, um, creative expression as well."

-- On what makes a good TV actor and what makes her think that a person is good when they come to set that you can discernibly see, EBR: "Well, I think, always choices. As long as someone knows their material and they're making choices about like where their character is... If I ask how you are and you say, 'good,' are you really - are you actually good? Are you like hiding something from me? If someone comes with those types of choices and is a good listener and sort of works off you, and you work off them, then you really know that somebody is present, to a certain extent. You don't want somebody who is rigid and maybe stuck to certain, um - you know, like if somebody had been working with a piece of tape forever and then they talk to another person like they're talking to a piece of tape, it's a little different, right? You want to make sure that piece of tape is acting like a human... And I think it can get a little structured."

-- EBR: "When I first got into Arrow, I just knew nothing about the technical aspects of it. Like, I didn't know what a button on the end of the scene was. I didn't know what, you know, how specific my marks were supposed to be, or those sort of things in continuity, and I'm still not great at continuity, but that's almost a choice, which people don't like... I talk so much with my hands, so I get in trouble sometimes... 'Your hand was here when you said that.' I'm like, 'I will not remember that.' 'Cause now the scene's changing, and there's something different. So I'm trying to a certain extent. I'd like to meet halfway. But there are technical aspects to television. It's a machine, right?"

-- When talking about buttons on the end of scenes, EBR: "Things that are soap opera-y and that sort of thing usually have buttons."

-- EBR: "It was super weird to get an action figure of myself. That was strange. It's still strange. She also doesn't really look like me. And she has an extra set of hands, which I don't have obviously... I asked. I was like, 'why does Felicity have an extra set of hands?' And they're like, 'it's her typing fingers.' And I was like, 'so regular hands, typing hands.' They're not that much different... Give her a computer as an accessory, not an extra set of hands."

-- On whether there's a discernible difference between Canadian actors like her and SA versus American actors, EBR: "No, not really. I mean, like, there's some differences, yeah. I mean, Stephen and I are very good friends on top of just working together. But since we've now worked together for so long... There's certain things. I wouldn't be able to pinpoint them, though... Just culturally, you know... I mean, we're not that far north." Interviewer: "Are you guys nicer?" EBR: "Sure. Yeah. Of course." Interviewer: "Less demanding on set?" EBR: "Oh, f**k yeah." Interviewer: "Is Stephen demanding on set?" EBR: "No. No. I'm more demanding. But I make him make all my demands. No, I'm just kidding." (Laughs) 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 14

I'm still not great at continuity, but that's almost a choice, which people don't like... 

Lol, that just reminds me how in the crossover for the Supergirl episode coverage they had to go back and make sure that she was wearing Oliver's jacket because EBR just randomly decided to wear Oliver's jacket in the Arrow coverage.

• Love 3