Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)
40 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Candice and CL seem much closer than CL and KC. CP and CL hang out when they are not filming, they posted vids and pics of them around Mother's Day week. Caity only talks about KC when she's asked about her. I'm sure they are friendly, but I don't buy they are close. You don't have to be besties with a roommate, most of the time it's to share the rent. 

Yup, KC seems to be the one posting pics with CL lately. However CL just posts pics with EBR or CP when shes with her.

3 hours ago, tv echo said:

That’s super cool to hear you say and the thing that I really appreciate about what you’ve done with your platform is create SheThority with your fellow female Arrowverse castmates. What are your goals for that platform and how did it come together?
The thing that’s so cool about SheThority is that it came together organically just because us women on the show are all really good friends. It started out with myself on Arrow and then Caity Lotz came on and she and I just clicked. I was like, ‘This girl is my homie.’ She’s the shit. And then I knew Danielle Pannabaker for years and I loved her so it was a very warm group of people for new actors coming in. We’re all very good friends and the SheThority came from the fact that we all have the same beliefs, especially regarding women. They and I believe that right now is a time for women and we need to support each other and lift one another up. It makes us stronger and these girls do that. I’ve also been on the other side of it, you know? I think everyone has. I’ve had insecurities. Everyone struggles with that, especially girls when it comes to things like growing up and body image. And unfortunately, there’s this love/hate relationship I have with social media because it can be such a great, positive platform but it also can be really bullish. There’s a lot of cyberbullying and I hate that. It, unfortunately, keeps me from keeping up with my fan base as much as I would like because I don’t want to read that. So if I don’t read it, it can’t hurt me.

She doesnt know how it came together because she wasn't apart of it until they added her last minute. It's interesting that she doesn't mention the other 6/7 girls apart of the campaign. Also, if you've heard Candice speak about the group, you'd know they didnt create it for women on set to get together and support each other. 

But I like how she made the answer all about her and the cyberbullying she receives on line.

Edited by Cleanqueen
  • Love 10
(edited)

KC wasn't part of putting SheThority together at all. It was Caity and Candice, that then asked the other women (not KC) during the crossover since they were all together to join in.  It's not for the women on the DC show its for all women (and men) and they encourage their fans to post and send stuff to them which they do. And they even asked fans if they want to help work on their website and merchandise design. KC only became involved after her fans kept asking CL about her. Then CL asked her while they at a con together and she posted a video. It's good that she's a part of if, but she's probably the least involved out of the DCTV women. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 16

IIRC there are several interviews where KC references how no great S2 was for her. Not surprisingly. She was loosing BC to CL and the LI to EBR and got saddled with the half assed "crucible" of drunkenness. That's one of the reasons she was grinning like a loon in the "Sara gives her the BC jacket" scene even though Laurel should be worried about where her newly re alive sister was going with the lady who kidnapped her mother and poisoned her. 

Although since she has her own head cannons maybe she really did think she was the only female on the show in S1. 

• Love 12

It could be a retroactive thing to her. Her and CL are friends now, so they were always friends back then. She got BC in the end, therefore S2 was a great season for her/Laurel.

• Love 2
(edited)

The reason I pointed out KC's failure to mention EBR, specifically, in her Shethority response is for the reasons noted by others upthread. One, she made it sound like she was the only female cast member on Arrow until CL came on, even though EBR joined the show before CL. (I didn't count WH or ST for the purpose of this response because they aren't involved in SheThority.) Second, she made it sound like she was one of the founding members of SheThority, when my impression was that she joined later. And third, she and EBR are supposed to be such good friends now, so it's odd that she didn't mention her as a fellow SheThority member.

I used to think that KC's sometimes awkward interview comments were just the product of inadvertent inarticulateness and/or self-delusion. But now I think that she knows exactly what she's saying and doing.

Remember, during last summer's SDCC press roundtable interviews (prior to the start of S6), KC said that, while she didn't yet know Black Siren's official back story and admitted that the producers might go a different route, she had made up her own detailed back story anyway, which included watching her father die in front of her in a fire when she was 14 and then going after his killer. She also said that she expected to see the back story of E2 Laurel/Black Siren's relationship with E2 Oliver (to explain why she reacts to E1 Oliver the way that she does), that she wanted Black Siren and Sara to meet, and that she wanted Black Siren and E1 Laurel to meet. She also indicated in multiple interviews both during SDCC and subsequently that she wanted Black Siren to have a redempton arc and maybe do a team-up with Dinah's BC.

At the time, we were like, 'huh?', because that 'father dying when she was 14' back story seemed to come out of nowhere (since in S5, the show had hinted that E2 Oliver's death was the reason she turned evil). Yet, in S6, we learned that Black Siren's father died when she was 13 (albeit going to get her birthday cake and getting hit by a drunk driver, and not in a fire). Also, throughout S6, as we watched Black Siren cold-bloodedly and sometimes unnecessarily murder multiple innocent people, a redemption arc seemed unlikely. Then in the back half, she did a 180 and suddenly acted like a domestic abuse victim. By the time S6 ended, Team Arrow was trying to save Black Siren, and she seemed well on her way to redemption. Also in the S6 finale, Dinah/BC and Black Siren teamed up, and Black Siren and Sara met.

Since Black Siren survived S6, I don't think it's a spoiler to say that she'll likely return in S7. So maybe she'll be able to check off those remaining two items on her 2017 wish list - getting back story on Black Siren's relationship with E2 Oliver, and having Black Siren meet E1 Laurel.

Bottom line: we'll need to pay attention to what KC says during her SDCC interviews this summer.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

KC, sweetie, there's a document filed by your lawyers with SAG that tells me you and CL didn't "click" in Season 2 at all. Also, her Shethority story is interesting. Am I misremembering that when Shethority was launched, she wasn't even in the video or was even tagged in the announcements? I seem to recall her fans kicked up a fuss because she seemed to be the only (major) DCTV actress not included. 

• Love 14

I never discount KC because she's probably going to be the one left standing even if everyone else has turned the studio lights off and shut the doors, though some of what she wanted most certainly wasn't the way she got it. I can't think she was particularly impressed that she had minimal Oliver scenes this season and only Quentin seemed to give a shit most of the time, but yeah it will be interesting to see what she has to say especially with Beth S's #taleoftwolaurels thing. I don't think too many of the writers actually enjoyed writing for her characters (bare minimum motivation and characterisation stuff mostly) and possibly that's one of the reasons they just go "oh right you think that, sure, why not......done!"

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

one of the reasons they just go "oh right you think that, sure, why not......done!"

Yeah, I think sometimes they just write Katie's headcanon into the show - and maybe they do this with other actors but we just don't know about it - because they're lazy and she's already done the work for them. Sometimes it doesn't really matter (like with the dead dad thing), sometimes it's a bad idea (like with Laurel telling Oliver on her deathbed that he's the love of her life). 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

I never discount KC because she's probably going to be the one left standing even if everyone else has turned the studio lights off and shut the doors, though some of what she wanted most certainly wasn't the way she got it. I can't think she was particularly impressed that she had minimal Oliver scenes this season and only Quentin seemed to give a shit most of the time, but yeah it will be interesting to see what she has to say especially with Beth S's #taleoftwolaurels thing. I don't think too many of the writers actually enjoyed writing for her characters (bare minimum motivation and characterisation stuff mostly) and possibly that's one of the reasons they just go "oh right you think that, sure, why not......done!"

To be fair, I don't think there were any characters that were written consistently this past season. 

It's also worth noting that if WH and PB weren't both leaving this season then BS's storyline might have played out differently.

7 minutes ago, thegirlsleuth said:

To be fair, I don't think there were any characters that were written consistently this past season. 

True. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

It's also worth noting that if WH and PB weren't both leaving this season then BS's storyline might have played out differently.

True. 

I'd love to know which came first, the writers killing off Quentin or PB leaving Arrow.  My impression was always PB leaving Arrow but in some of those post mortems they sure spun it the other way.  

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

but yeah it will be interesting to see what she has to say especially with Beth S's #taleoftwolaurels thing.

It wasn’t Beth S that tweeted that. It was one of the new writers 

9 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

It wasn’t Beth S that tweeted that. It was one of the new writers 

Thanks for the correction, though I guess the sentiment probably has a good chance of ending up in the season *somehow*. 

12 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'd love to know which came first, the writers killing off Quentin or PB leaving Arrow.  My impression was always PB leaving Arrow but in some of those post mortems they sure spun it the other way.  

I think it was PB leaving, but yeah we don't know for sure. He did seem to pick up another show double quick though so either way he's probably looking forward to doing some other acting than grieving over one of his daughters and supporting/hating Oliver. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

KC, sweetie, there's a document filed by your lawyers with SAG that tells me you and CL didn't "click" in Season 2 at all. Also, her Shethority story is interesting. Am I misremembering that when Shethority was launched, she wasn't even in the video or was even tagged in the announcements? I seem to recall her fans kicked up a fuss because she seemed to be the only (major) DCTV actress not included. 

ooooo where's this document!

2 hours ago, Featherhat said:

Beth Schwartz didn't tweet about Laurel. The new writer Tonya did and she seemed like she had no idea about the history of the show and Laurel as a character as in the same tweet she was still under the impression that Siren was a lawyer. 

43 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Beth Schwartz didn't tweet about Laurel. The new writer Tonya did and she seemed like she had no idea about the history of the show and Laurel as a character as in the same tweet she was still under the impression that Siren was a lawyer. 

Well, Siren did read that one law out of a law book!  She must be a lawyer!

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

Considering she used Taleoftwolaurels something tells me she knows what she is talking about and was just having fun since Laurel was a lawyer.

14 hours ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

KC, sweetie, there's a document filed by your lawyers with SAG that tells me you and CL didn't "click" in Season 2 at all.

Tell me more!

The one (only?) thing I liked about MG is that he would openly dismiss KC’s random head cannons. I remember a few Tumblr asks when people would bring up what she said in interviews and he would very politely say it wasn’t happening on the show. 

• Love 3

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but I am starting to believe that MG and WM locked EBR up in the basement and forbid her to do press. She's done more press now than she ever did when I joined fandom. S5 there was nothing! You wouldn't even know she had anything to do with the show!

It still makes me uncomfortable that she didn't go meet the writers when every bird, cat and rat did though. I know you guys say she doesn't like to know what's ahead but surely as the leading lady she'd see them and have some demands. It's a bit weird to not even represent herself. 

They better give her storylines in S7!!!!!!

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I'm not normally a conspiracy theorist but I am starting to believe that MG and WM locked EBR up in the basement and forbid her to do press. She's done more press now than she ever did

Nah, that's up to CW and her management, not MG/WM. She just got new management, so that might be more part of it.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Nah, that's up to CW and her management, not MG/WM. She just got new management, so that might be more part of it.

You reckon CW forbid her or her old management team was useless?

13 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

You reckon CW forbid her or her old management team was useless?

Useless to the extent she wanted a change, I guess? And not so much "forbid" as "we need to promote other things other than someone who already gets the clicks"

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Useless to the extent she wanted a change, I guess? And not so much "forbid" as "we need to promote other things other than someone who already gets the clicks"

They never let her out for an interview though! Seriously it was like they locked her in the basement and only let her out to film or release one pic when they really needed publicity! 

I know what you're saying makes sense but I seriously side eye CW when it comes to EBR! 

(edited)

Maybe EBR isn't that comfortable giving interviews and only does the ones she has too or only agrees to do a certain amount. I know there are quite a few celebs that have said they have so much anxiety before interviews they only do what they have too and nothing more. They leave the interviews to the ones that love it and those celebs will do any interview they can get. That's why it looks like they do a bajillion interviews to their co-stars one. 

Edited by Sakura12
1 hour ago, Sakura12 said:

Maybe EBR isn't that comfortable giving interviews and only does the ones she has too or only agrees to do a certain amount. I know there are quite a few celebs that have said they have so much anxiety before interviews they only do what they have too and nothing more. They leave the interviews to the ones that love it and those celebs will do any interview they can get. That's why it looks like they do a bajillion interviews to their co-stars one. 

I get that but she liked VANISHED in S5!!!! *looks around shiftily*

And she stopped posting on social media!

Now we have all these lovely pics and photo shoots of her! Something must have happened! 

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I get that but she liked VANISHED in S5!!!! *looks around shiftily*

And she stopped posting on social media!

Now we have all these lovely pics and photo shoots of her! Something must have happened! 

EBR has never been one to spend much time on twitter anyway but maybe she didn't feel comfortable after she'd received hate and death threats? And it's possible she was just unhappy with how Felicity was treated on the show so she didn't want to do interviews. I can totally see someone not wanting to do interviews when you know you don't have anything good to say. LOL.

She definitely seems more excited about the new showrunner and writers now though and perhaps, combined with new PR management, that has given her a new desire to put herself out there more. 

Just speculating, obviously. We'll never know for sure.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

It still makes me uncomfortable that she didn't go meet the writers when every bird, cat and rat did though. I know you guys say she doesn't like to know what's ahead but surely as the leading lady she'd see them and have some demands. It's a bit weird to not even represent herself.

I think she's friends with Beth Schwartz.  There was stuff earlier that Beth was teaching her about Jewish traditions for Felicity. 

Maybe she trusts Beth's vision and that she'll give Felicity good storylines.

• Love 5
55 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think she's friends with Beth Schwartz.  There was stuff earlier that Beth was teaching her about Jewish traditions for Felicity. 

Maybe she trusts Beth's vision and that she'll give Felicity good storylines.

Yeah Beth and Emily are really close, and out of the whole cast she's the one who is singing her praises the most. I think she knows now that her friend Beth is the showrunner, she dictates to the writers what to write so Emily feels comfortable.

Emily and KC had the same PR company before and I believe that had a lot to do with what she could do and couldn't do while they shared that PR company.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I think she's friends with Beth Schwartz. 

Yeah, they seem to be. There was one part during the FB live video that she and Stephen did in S5 where she mentioned that she was just texting Beth.

26 minutes ago, Cleanqueen said:

Yeah Beth and Emily are really close, and out of the whole cast she's the one who is singing her praises the most. I think she knows now that her friend Beth is the showrunner, she dictates to the writers what to write so Emily feels comfortable.

Emily and KC had the same PR company before and I believe that had a lot to do with what she could do and couldn't do while they shared that PR company.

I can see where that could become a conflict of interests.  Normally you'd expect a company to know how to balance things but I can envision a scenario with one client being very vocal and one being not so demanding and them perhaps taking advantage of that to placate the client that had been around longer.  

• Love 4

Loved it. I can't wait for more. Every time I watch their first scene together, it strikes me all over again how crazy it is that an intended one-time guest star changed the entire course of the show.

• Love 13

Loved that video, I had a huge smile the whole time. I definitely can't wait for more.

Stephen: "Oliver and Felicity worked. Score credits don't have pictures on them so if you have something on a tv show that's working, you should write towards it"

tenor.gif

• Love 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trisha said:

Cute!!!

Leanne Aguilera: "This is a couple that has grown for six seasons and been through so many ups and downs. Why do you feel like they always come back to each other?"
SA:
"That probably means that they're soul mates, right? (Smiles) I don't know. Emily and I have always had a really nice chemistry, I think, and it's always been so easy to work with her. So, I think that Oliver and Felicity worked. You know? Um, scorecards don't have pictures on them. So if you have something on a TV show that's working, you should write towards it. I've enjoyed them in conflict as much as I've enjoyed them settled and domestic and happy. I've enjoyed them as angsty, 'will they, won't they', and I've enjoyed them as parents to William. So it's good. [Unintelligible word] that Emily Bett. She's a good one."

Leanne: "Why do you feel like the fans resonate so strongly with this couple? 'Cause you guys have one of the most passionate fanbases I've ever encountered."
SA:
"Yeah. I mean, two-time Ship of the Year Award winner, all for MTV. Um. I don't know what the secret sauce is. You know, any time that you can elicit a passionate response from a group of people, you're clearly doing something right. So, um, I'm just glad that we're doing something right."

Leanne: "Oh Stephen, you guys are definitely doing something right. Now it has been a joy to watch these two courageous and compassionate characters fight for their city and for each other, and evolve into the canon relationship of Arrow. In short, Olicity, you have not failed this fandom. And there you have it. That does it for this first Olicity episode of Shipworthy. But don't worry, as I continue to interview Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards, we'll be back with follow-up episodes about Olicity and where their relationship will be sailing to next."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

So it's good. [Unintelligible word] that Emily Bett. She's a good one."

He said "So it's a good ride with that Emily Bett."

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

10 Reasons Why Olicity Is Totally ‘Shipworthy’

https://www.etonline.com/10-reasons-why-olicity-is-totally-shipworthy-103225

Can I just say how spot on this list is? Like, I think everything was correct, I didn’t have quibbles.

2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Even an implication when no one was talking soul mates but him is huge, lol.  Only KC talked about soul mates to my knowledge.  

Emily also did, but only at the beginning of this season, right around when Episode 3 was about to air (and they were about to shoot the crossovers, I think). 

• Love 4

Even on Earth X EvilNazi!Oliver was very much in love with EvilNazi!Kara (and I did not appreciate the "Nazis in Love" dynamic in the xover) more LL can't catch a break with Oliver in any of the multiverse. And SA seemed a lot more enthusiastic about OliverX and KaraX than he ever did about Lauriver. 

1 hour ago, Mary0360 said:

It would not shock me if KC was trying to wait out the chance Emily leaves the show before it finishes or the possibility that if she's around to bitter end they'll do a HIMYM hard switch to Oliver and Laurel in the series finale. 

Oh, I've said before, she'll be the last one out the door when everyone else has moved out and turned the power off. Bit like LL still thinking Oliver is the love of her life after Tommy and everything Oliver did and didn't do for her. 

7 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

1) There was never an O/F/L Love triangle, the show never even hinted at that.

Yeah it basically went the opposite way with Oliver/Felicity/Ray. There was no hint of a different triangle in S3, Oliver was basically dismissive and only had her on the team because of "Insta Canary" reasons. Even their "reconnection as friends" in S4 was meaningless because whilst it was "her best run of episodes" they'd also decided to write her out by then and she was mostly just in the background. 

I can see why in S3 ep 1 she and others might have thought the "you catch em, I cook em" line was a flirty foreshadowing, along with Sara's BC mask literally dropping at her feet but that was about the last time you could say that about them, and that ep became majorly about the blown up Olicity date and Sara's death. 

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Featherhat said:

Even on Earth X EvilNazi!Oliver was very much in love with EvilNazi!Kara (and I did not appreciate the "Nazis in Love" dynamic in the xover) more LL can't catch a break with Oliver in any of the multiverse. And SA seemed a lot more enthusiastic about OliverX and KaraX than he ever did about Lauriver. 

Oh, I've said before, she'll be the last one out the door when everyone else has moved out and turned the power off. Bit like LL still thinking Oliver is the love of her life after Tommy and everything Oliver did and didn't do for her. 

Yeah it basically went the opposite way with Oliver/Felicity/Ray. There was no hint of a different triangle in S3, Oliver was basically dismissive and only had her on the team because of "Insta Canary" reasons. Even their "reconnection as friends" in S4 was meaningless because whilst it was "her best run of episodes" they'd also decided to write her out by then and she was mostly just in the background. 

I can see why in S3 ep 1 she and others might have thought the "you catch em, I cook em" line was a flirty foreshadowing, along with Sara's BC mask literally dropping at her feet but that was about the last time you could say that about them, and that ep became majorly about the blown up Olicity date and Sara's death. 

Not to mention they only reconnected Oliver and Laurel in season 4 so that they the audience would buy Oliver being upset she was dead after two seasons of him either ignoring her or being fairly antagonistic towards her and vice versa.

In season 3 the only thing that maybe KC had some grounds to go on a love triangle is if you accept many lauriver fans opinions that Oliver was jealous of Ted Grant and Laurels relationship instead of the more obvious Oliver was in a alpha male I'm a better vigilante then you pissing contest. But even then it was one episode in a whole season of Oliver being love sick over Felicity. 

• Love 6

28. Oliver and Felicity from Arrow

"I loved them together so much when the show first started. But then the show kept breaking them up and bringing them back together over and over again. I got so tired that I stopped caring about what happened to either of them and gave up on the show completely."