Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Trisha said:

It looks like there's still a possibility for a shortened season:

How do they not have this info yet? They knew when this was taking place and know what they all have lined up.....why wait so late?

2 minutes ago, way2interested said:

That would mostly be in regards to Black Lightning and LoT though, wouldn't it? Since they already have short seasons?

There was an article in Deadline recently that said shortened episode orders may be expanding to other DC shows:

The network is expected to play with the sizes of the orders more than ever next season. It already does limited runs for a number of series including DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The 100, iZombie, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend as well as Jane the Virgin this season. The list may grow bigger next season and include more DC shows I hear.

(edited)

Ah, right. I would then guess it's either Supergirl or Arrow I suppose (maybe both, but I would guess Supergirl before Arrow, especially since Arrow is the one that kept a weekday spot.).

ETA: Then again, being matched with LoT might mean Arrow will get 18 episodes too, Idk, but then again BL might not get 23 episodes. Lol, could be anything. Still don't adhere to the "yay, shorter episode count equals tighter plots!" narrative, though.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

If they already don't have a lot of midseason replacements, why would it make sense to shorten Arrow and open up a new timeslot that needs to be filled? 

Yeah, it's odd. The only ones held for midseason will be Jane the Virgin, The 100, iZombie, In the Dark and Roswell so there's not as much room for shortened seasons as I thought there would be. People were expecting at least some of the superhero shows like LoT to be held until next year.

(edited)

Deadline said in their announcement that JtV would likely replace CEG on Fridays once its final season was complete.  So that leaves four midseason shows to find spots for.  That’s really not that many, unless we assume that all three new shows get back-nine orders.

Edited by Starfish35
47 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

I prefer Monday to Thursday tbh. At least it'll feel like it's part of dctv again.

Might help with the ratings a smidge being in the middle of the pack.  

• Love 1

I also thought that there would need to be more shortened seasons. It turns out that I miscalculated. 

I assume the newer shows won't go for a full season, except for likely Charmed (I can see that one getting picked up for a full season). All American might stick to 13 episodes, which means The 100 can replace it when it comes back. Crazy Ex likely won't be airing a full season, maybe 13-15 episodes, where Jane will take its slot, and then that really just leaves iZombie and In The Dark. I hope Legacies doesn't get picked up for a full season, as then In The Dark could probably take that slot, and I do hope Black Lightning stays shorter, (but maybe bump them up to 16 episodes) not because it doesn't deserve a full season, but because I truly believe they can tell a much better story with a shortened order. It worked well this year, so I don't want them to force filler episodes. 

So, I do expect almost all of their DC shows to actually get full season orders. I think Arrow will get its full 23 episode order. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I also thought that there would need to be more shortened seasons. It turns out that I miscalculated. 

I assume the newer shows won't go for a full season, except for likely Charmed (I can see that one getting picked up for a full season). All American might stick to 13 episodes, which means The 100 can replace it when it comes back. Crazy Ex likely won't be airing a full season, maybe 13-15 episodes, where Jane will take its slot, and then that really just leaves iZombie and In The Dark. I hope Legacies doesn't get picked up for a full season, as then In The Dark could probably take that slot, and I do hope Black Lightning stays shorter, (but maybe bump them up to 16 episodes) not because it doesn't deserve a full season, but because I truly believe they can tell a much better story with a shortened order. It worked well this year, so I don't want them to force filler episodes. 

So, I do expect almost all of their DC shows to actually get full season orders. I think Arrow will get its full 23 episode order. 

What about the new Roswell? 

5 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

What about the new Roswell? 

I totally forgot about Roswell, New Mexico, to be honest. Well, if Legends is going to be shorter, I could see Roswell starting later and taking up the Legends slot. Legends, with its order, usually ends about March or early April, so they could very well push Roswell in that slot. You see, my hope is that Riverdale gets shortened back to 13 episodes and Roswell can slip into that spot. Or it could take BL's spot after it finishes its run, if they keep it to 13 episodes. So I guess I just don't know where iZombie would fit.

1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

The showrunners for BL want shorter seasons I think so they will probably continue to use that timeslot to launch new midseason shows.

If that’s the case, then I would expect them to replace it with In the Dark rather than Roswell.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Crazy Ex likely won't be airing a full season, maybe 13-15 episodes, where Jane will take its slot

I'm pretty sure CEG has been confirmed for 13 episodes, like last season. In a way, I'm if JtV takes its timeslot, because that will ensure continued awesomeness all year long, but I'm going to miss watching them back to back every week. Friday nights on the CW were my happy place.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

So when is SA suppose to make his announcement?

The upfronts just kicked off now (with an concert by 30 Seconds to Mars -- which is terrible timing), so he'll prob take the stage within the next hour or so.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

The showrunners for BL want shorter seasons I think so they will probably continue to use that timeslot to launch new midseason shows.

If only Riverdale would have stuck to 13 episodes per season. lol

TVLINE | First things first, talk about the decision to kill Lance versus wound him, send him off to live with Donna, having him decided he’s “too old for this s–t”….
Look, it’s always hard. Paul’s a wonderful actor and a wonderful human being. [Regarding] the decision to kill versus maim, this show has always been a show that has real consequences — even when we had the Lazarus Pit and and even with time travel and parallel Earths. Maiming always feels like a cop-out to me, especially on a show like this one. [Arrowverse executive producer] Greg Berlanti always says the show has a Game of Thrones element to it in that no one is ever really safe. And while I think while we could have maimed Lance and sent him off to live with Donna, like you said — and that was discussed — I don’t think it would have been true to the spirit of the show, which has never really done that as a general rule. But it was hard.

TVLINE | I saw Paul just the other night and he described Lance’s exit as “beautiful.”
He’s terrific; by the way, a total class act. When [exiting co-showrunner] Wendy [Mericle] and I sat down with him to give him the news, he couldn’t have been more gracious about it. I think his performance in the finale is among the best he’s ever given on the show. It is a very beautiful, poignant exit for this character. He has a scene with Stephen [Amell] that is just next-level stuff. If you’re going to kill off a character, I do feel like this was the way to do it.

TVLINE | I’m sitting here trying to figure out how Oliver will ever resume doing what he likes to do, given how the finale ends. He’s outed, he’s behind bars…. The only think I can think of is the government needs him to continue being a vigilante, so they spring him or something…?
This is the beauty part of me not showrunning anymore! No, I’m just kidding. There is a plan in place. We always try very hard never to take a leap without knowing how we’re going to stick the landing, so as much as I would love to joke, “OK guys, have fun, I’m out of here!,” there is a plan. We know exactly how things are going to work in prison, how things will resolve themselves…. I don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that Oliver won’t remain in prison for the remainder of the series; that would be silly. He’ll get out at some point, and the circumstances under which that happens… there’s a really cool plan in place for. So, stay tuned!

TVLINE | Felicity tried to get Oliver to renege on his deal with the FBI and escape custody, but he insisted on doing what’s right, guaranteeing William at least one parent. Will she be fully understanding of that, or is she a bit bitter?
I wouldn’t say bitter; but I would say that Oliver is going to have some work to do. This was a momentous decision that affects not only her but their son, and at the end of the day he didn’t consult her. Oliver says in the finale, “There wasn’t enough time,” but if I were Felicity I would quibble with that. There were plenty of moments where Oliver was talking to people, saying hid good-byes…. Felicity I think would be well within her rights to say, “Why didn’t you take some of that screen time talking to me about it?” Obviously it will be up to Beth [Schwartz] and the writers to decide which way to go here, but my thinking about the reason he didn’t [consult with Felicity] was because he knew she would talk him out of it.

TVLINE | Lastly, two bits of housekeeping: Is Katie Cassidy back as a series regular next season?
Yes, she is.

TVLINE | And might there be a larger-than-usual time jump when the show returns in the fall?
No. No, it will be the typical six months or so.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/17/arrow-recap-season-6-finale-paul-blackthorne-leaving-lance-dies-oliver-prison/#comment-list-wrapper

• Love 1

TVLINE | Felicity tried to get Oliver to renege on his deal with the FBI and escape custody, but he insisted on doing what’s right, guaranteeing William at least one parent. Will she be fully understanding of that, or is she a bit bitter?
I wouldn’t say bitter; but I would say that Oliver is going to have some work to do. This was a momentous decision that affects not only her but their son, and at the end of the day he didn’t consult her. Oliver says in the finale, “There wasn’t enough time,” but if I were Felicity I would quibble with that. There were plenty of moments where Oliver was talking to people, saying hid good-byes…. Felicity I think would be well within her rights to say, “Why didn’t you take some of that screen time talking to me about it?” Obviously it will be up to Beth [Schwartz] and the writers to decide which way to go here, but my thinking about the reason he didn’t [consult with Felicity] was because he knew she would talk him out of it.

First of all that is a stupid a question TVLINE.

Second, Wendy and Marc both knew they were creating an issue that could be avoided with 1 conversation but went ahead and did it anyways cause they are not around to fixed it next season. 

Seriously, I am glad both their asses are not in charge of the day to day writing. 

on-the-way-out-gif-501.gif

• Love 17

I'm sorry, but if you're getting kicked out of kindergarten, it's not because you're some sort of badass. It's because you've been traumatized in some way that's making you act out or because your school is run by idiots who think 5yos should act in ways they just don't.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, bethy said:

I'm sorry, but if you're getting kicked out of kindergarten, it's not because you're some sort of badass. It's because you've been traumatized in some way that's making you act out or because your school is run by idiots who think 5yos should act in ways they just don't.

I wouldn't be surprised if getting kicked out of kindergarten was a story he concocted as backstory for #KidVicious.

• Love 4
Just now, jaye.elle said:

He is gorgeous. And to be honest, if the choice was between Brandon and Stephen (instead of Oliver and Ray), I'd pick BRouth without a second guess.

He posted a recommendation for this child psychology/rearing book and I swooned! haha totally would pick BR over SA!!!! In the words of Oliver "There was no choice to make". Heeeee

9 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

MG feels like Quentin got a good send off lol. He is so delusional when it comes to how good of a writer he is. 

Below is a dramatic reenactment of MG's estimation of his own writing, and what he expects when he turns in a script:

• Love 9
(edited)

A.V. Club reviewer gave 623 a grade of C+...

Arrow ends a frustrating season with a frustrating, but affecting, finale
Allison Shoemaker    May 18, 2018
https://tv.avclub.com/arrow-ends-a-frustrating-season-with-a-frustrating-but-1826130220

On the whole, this isn’t a great season of Arrow. There are too many detours, too many balls dropped, more than the usual number of plot holes and some insanely short memories. Some episodes mostly worked—particularly when Michael Emerson first turned up—and there were a handful of excellent action sequences (remember that parking garage fight)?). But looking back, there are exactly three scenes that could be considered among the best in the series. “Life Sentence” adds to that number, and that fact makes this finale worth watching.
Ricardo Diaz is coming back?!

No disrespect to Kirk Acevedo, a good actor who has made this disastrously uneven villain and his failed storyline as entertaining as perhaps anyone could, but wow, what an insanely bad idea. The single worst episode in this season, “Collision Course,” seemed to attempt a course-correction by going all-in on the very things that were dragging Arrow down. The choices made in that hour were so poorly handled and executed, both then and since, that they’re still hurting the show. Indeed, they hurt this finale. Yet here we are, and Arrow is making the same mistake. So what if this season was a mess, let’s hang onto one of the things that was least effective all year long.
It seems cool and smart and deep for Oliver to make a farewell tour. So what if he only talks to some of his former teammates? So what if that list doesn’t include his wife and son? It seems like a great idea, to have Oliver hand himself over to the FBI in exchange for immunity for all the others, and it seems like a great idea for him to tell those others to keep on being vigilantes without him. So what if those two things are fundamentally opposed? What a great idea, bringing Sara Lance back. Who cares if it amounts to one good scene and an extended sad cameo (sadmeo?).

The frustrating thing—besides the continuing saga of Ricardo Diaz, an Arrow big bad so big and bad that he’s beaten the one-season rule—is that “Life Sentence” could be pretty great, if there were just a little more thought given to the big picture. The reason it works, when it does, is that the show focuses not just on what happens and how cool it is, but what it means to the people who are experiencing these events. It has that in common with the three scenes mentioned in that first paragraph, each of which succeeded by pausing to take a breath and consider the emotional centers, shared histories, and high stakes for both of the characters involved.

Those three scenes—Felicity’s monologue to William as they watch Oliver on the monitors, Oliver and Diggle in the bunker before their fight, and Oliver and Anatoly in that kitchen—aren’t the only good things in season six (again, what’s up, Michael Emerson), but they stand out from the pack. There are three that stand out here, too, and they’ve got quite a lot in common with the scenes above: Oliver and Quentin in the hospital room, Oliver and Felicity in the interrogation room, and Sara and Not-Laurel in the hallway.
...  In the scenes from this season, two men who’ve been through an extraordinary amount of heartbreak tell each other they love each other, in words that aren’t those words, but which seem to matter even more; in another, a married couple don’t actually have time to love each other, as one is busy comprehending how the hell her husband could make this decision while the other tries to explain it, first to her and then to his son; in the third, a woman sees her dead sister’s dopplegänger and tries to wrap her mind around that while being terrified for her dad. (That one, in particular, is pretty damn new.)

Third, most of them prominently feature Stephen Amell. It might be the late hour, or the disappointing season, but I think “Life Sentence” is one of Amell’s best outings as Oliver Queen. He’s best when Oliver’s in a quieter mode, and Ollie is real damn quiet here. The writers of this episode tip their hands pretty early here—Oliver gives Diggle a uniform, for crying out loud—but it doesn’t much matter. It’s oddly fitting that such a violent character becomes best defined in moments of gentleness. That’s true of his scenes with Dinah, Rene, and Diggle as well as those listed above. He’s very good here, full stop.
-What, Curtis doesn’t rate a spot on the goodbye tour? Who is he, William?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

EW reviewer gave 623 a grade of B+...

Arrow finale recap: Oliver makes a huge sacrifice
CHANCELLOR AGARD May 17, 2018 at 11:23 PM EDT
http://ew.com/recap/arrow-season-6-finale/

Can a strong season finale redeem an uneven and frustrating season? That’s probably the main question on my mind in the wake of Arrow‘s tragic and surprising season 6 finale. “Life Sentence” had many strong directorial moments and performances, broke away from the Arrowverse finale formula in an interesting way, and followed through on something introduced at the beginning of the season; however, part of me can’t shake the feeling that everything here doesn’t feel completely earned. But, let’s dive in and see if we can unpack some of this.
And cue the final battle: While Dinah helps Laurel and Quentin get out of their cell, Oliver runs after Diaz for a rooftop bout. Oliver finally manages to put Diaz down, but Laurel shows up and RUINS EVERYTHING! She uses her sonic blast and sends him flying into the water, which allows Diaz to avoid being apprehended by Watson and the FBI. This outcome would be bad on any day; however, it’s even worse now because it means Oliver agreed to go to prison in exchange for the FBI’s help and his team being granted immunity for nothing.

After the battle ends, Oliver reunites with the team at the hospital and has one more touching father-surrogate son scene with Quentin before the latter dies while on the operating table. Sara shows up at the hospital, too, and has a fairly weird yet compelling encounter with her sister’s Earth-2 doppelgänger. Alas, Oliver isn’t given too much time to mourn Quentin’s death because Watson arrives at the hospital, and he’s finally forced to come to clean to everybody, including Felicity, about the deal he made. Felicity begs him in the hospital and later in an interrogation room to break the deal, but he refuses. Again, I was especially moved by Amell’s tearful performance in his final scene with Emily Bett Rickards, who was also putting in a lot of work that paid off.
Let’s be honest, not telling Felicity about the deal until the last second was classic Oliver. I thought we’d moved past the secret keeping!

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

ARROW: "LIFE SENTENCE" REVIEW
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN  17 MAY 2018
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/18/arrow-life-sentence-review

More than with most shows, the finale episode really seems to make or break a season of Arrow. Season 3 and 4 were bad by any measure, but they were rendered that much worse because they both utterly failed to stick the landing. Meanwhile, I look back more fondly on Season 5 as a whole because it ended on such a high note. With Season 6 being perhaps the most uneven in the show’s history, it really needed a strong finish of its own. And for the most part, it got one.
The most surprising thing about this episode is the open-ended way it resolved the Diaz conflict. This is the first time an Arrow villain has eluded justice in a finale and lived to threaten the city another day. On one hand, there was a slightly anticlimactic quality to the way Ollie and Diaz’s final battle played out. There definitely wasn’t as much closure on that front as viewers may have been hoping for. Not to mention that the actual fight didn’t impress much on a visceral level. The dim lighting and darkly clad characters resulted in a muddled fight scene where it was often tough to distinguish one character from the other.
The quick, unceremonious fall of Diaz makes more sense when you consider that Ollie’s “farewell tour” was really the crux of this episode. I do wish this episode had done a better job of disguising the big twist (including not using the name “Life Sentence”), but that didn’t diminish the impact of these character-driven scenes. Ollie’s various heart-to-heart chats helped wrap up an uneven but ultimately effective character arc this season. He’s been desperately searching for a way to be the leader and hero and father he needs to be, and throwing himself under the bus for the sake of William and Team Arrow seems as good a solution as any.
This episode also did exactly what it needed in terms of setting up an intriguing status quo for Season 7. As much of a slog as the series was for most of this year, at least it regained its momentum at the end. I’m very much looking forward to Season 7 giving us the Green Arrow/Super MAX story we never got in movie form. Some of the new story developments are things the series has flirted with and danced around in the past (Diggle taking up the mantle, Ollie’s identity being outed), but the hope is that this marks a more permanent shift in direction. Let’s just hope we’re not in for a repeat of Season 6’s early mistakes when the series returns in the fall.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow: Star City Surrender
By Matt Ross  Thursday, May 17th, 2018
https://www.dccomics.com/tags/arrow-couch-club

Man…I’m not sure what to think about the finale. There were elements I liked and some things that just left me feeling kind of unfulfilled.
Overall, I felt the episode moved well and had a nice pace to it. The big win was not wrapping up Diaz’s storyline tonight. As much as it would have been nice to have taken him out, his character was built up/developed all season, and he has such a long reach, that it would have felt cheap for him to come to an end within 45 minutes.
Of course, the surprise (more like shock), was Quentin’s death. I didn’t see that coming at all. Truthfully, I’m not exactly sure why it happened. I get that he makes the most sense out of everyone. He’s not a costumed hero, but he’s still part of the main crew and his death would bring a shock to the fan base.
Where the episode fell short with me was towards the end. While I was okay with not closing out the Diaz storyline, there was something about Ollie being sent to prison that just didn’t work for me. I think it’s because we’ve seen him in similar positions in the past. All season long he’s been dealing with legal issues and the threat of being arrested, then actually being arrested, getting out, etc., etc., etc. It felt like more of the same.

I was hoping this finale would put a definitive end to this angle, but it seems like it’ll continue, and I’m not sure where they go from here exactly. He’s in prison with lot of guys he’s put there, everyone now knows his secret—which puts William in extreme danger, along with everyone connected to him. As funny as it sounds, the only way I could think to move beyond this would have been for Ollie to fake his own death and start a new life. My fear is that next season may be centered on Ollie being in and out of court hearings while serving his sentence.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 6, Episode 23 - Life Sentence
Starman    May 17, 2018
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2018/05/arrow-episode-guide-season-6-episode-23.html

Again, one wonders why Diaz hasn't just killed Black Siren by now? It seriously undercuts the idea that he's a dangerous lunatic who overacts to any slight or act of treachery if he spares a dangerous metahuman serial killer with no qualms about killing who turned on him once or if he has enough coherence to try using her as a bargaining chip to manipulate Quentin.
How in the name of the many ridiculous gods of the DC Universe did Diaz survive getting blasted off a roof by a concussive sonic blast at close range, after being beaten half to death to Green Arrow and still manage to survive a water landing to swim away to safety?

Why doesn't the FBI arrest Black Siren? (Did Oliver's deal give her immunity too?)

How did Black Siren get a hold of Sara Lance?
Katie Cassidy's expression (or lack thereof) as everyone else is having an emotional response to the news of Quentin's death and Oliver's arrest defies belief.
Paul Blackthorne gives a stellar final performance as Quentin Lance.

Caity Lotz's presence in this episode is largely wasted, but she does a fantastic job with the brief moments she has.

Stephen Amell has a great performance here, but the scene between him and Paul Blackthorne as Oliver once again calls Quentin the father he never really had is truly heart-breaking.
Once again, the title card only features Oliver's arrowhead symbol and not all the symbols of the other Team Arrow members.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

A HEARTBREAKING DEATH, BIG TWISTS AND SEASON 7 SET-UP IN A MESSY ARROW FINALE
Trent Moore   May 18, 2018
http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/a-heartbreaking-death-big-twists-and-season-7-set-up-in-a-messy-arrow-finale

It’s been a messy season, to put it mildly. In Year 6, the creative team tried some different things to explore new angles of Oliver Queen and his gang of heroes. Some worked, some didn’t. After spending much of the season turning Team Arrow into two separate factions that can barely stand to be in the same room, the final few episodes have rushed to get all these heroes back on speaking terms — with “Life Sentence” even featuring the Oliver Queen Apology Tour as he makes quick amends with Rene, Dinah and Diggle.

The nigh unstoppable Ricardo Diaz was taken down in less than an episode after Oliver reaches out to the FBI for help in cleaning up the corruption. It comes at great personal cost to Oliver (more on that later), but still, they couldn’t have thought to do this weeks ago when Diaz was still consolidating power and turning Star City into his own criminal playground? The Diaz story didn’t even get a satisfying resolution, with the final fight ending with Laurel conveniently blasting him into the river after Oliver manages to obtain his digital corruption ledger.
The episode also featured the death of a major, original character who had been with the series since Season 1: Quentin Lance. Word had already broken that actor Paul Blackthorne wouldn’t be back next season, so his death wasn’t quite as much of a shock as it may have been otherwise. But, even that was just a sloppy way to end a character who had already survived so much pain and loss over the past six years. His daughters have died (multiple times), and he’s struggled with alcoholism for years. If anyone in the Arrowverse, anyone at all, deserved a happy ending it was Quentin. Instead, he simply dies off-screen during surgery for a gunshot wound. Yes, it’l almost certainly be narrative fodder for Earth-2 Laurel next season to continue her quest toward redemption, but still. Quentin deserved better, and this just seemed such a sloppy way to dispose of a character who had been there since the beginning.
*Dinah finally seems to have moved beyond her quest for vengeance against Laurel, actually working alongside her as they tried to save Quentin. But, real talk, is there really room on this show for two Canary Cry-powered superheroes?

Edited by tv echo
45 minutes ago, tv echo said:

A.V. Club reviewer gave 623 a grade of C+...

I don't always agree with her but I do think that she writes the most thoughtful, professional reviews that really take the show's history into account. I like her picks for the 3 best scenes of the episode -- and the season.

Meanwhile, this is surprisingly pro-Olicity for ScreenRant:

Arrow: 21 Hilarious Olicity Vs. Lauriver Memes That Make Fans Choose
https://screenrant.com/arrow-hilarious-olicity-lauriver-memes/

• Love 3
(edited)

Arrow Season 6 Finale Review: “Life Sentence” 
Chris King  May 18, 2018
http://www.tvovermind.com/the-cw/arrow/arrow-season-6-finale-review-life-sentence

It’s fitting that Arrow ends its most frustrating season so far (yes, I can honestly say I enjoy Season 4 more than Season 6 now that it’s concluded) with an almost equally frustrating finale. “Life Sentence” has some truly wonderful moments throughout it, most of them simply conversations between characters who share rich histories with each other, as they reflect on the past or plan for the future. Unfortunately, all of these intimate, emotional character moments are surrounded by too many frustrating plot elements to be as fully satisfying as they should be.

Let’s start with what is arguably the biggest moment of the finale: Oliver turns himself in to the FBI in exchange for immunity for the rest of the team. This is a major sacrifice Oliver is making; in fact, it’s probably his most selfless act in all six seasons of Arrow. But what undercuts this bold choice by Oliver is the reason for it (he and the team can’t take down Diaz and his men themselves, even though they’ve dealt with Slade’s Mirakuru soldiers and the League of Assassins before) and the execution of it (he doesn’t let Felicity know what he’s planning to do until after he’s been arrested, which undermines their entire conversation about trust from last week’s episode).
In theory, Oliver getting arrested and sent to a supermax prison is a daring but appropriate ending to his journey this season, but the Arrow writers miss too many of the little and even big details to truly make this storyline fulfilling. I won’t harp on Diaz for too much longer, but the fact that he’s the villain who finally forces Oliver to out himself as the Green Arrow is insulting to the character of Oliver Queen. No matter what Black Siren or anyone else tries to tell me, Diaz has always been a drug-dealing, bullying thug, who is maybe worth one episode of Oliver’s time, not an entire season. The fact that the creative team never showed us how dominating of a foe he was throughout Season 6 but had to consistently tell us is one of this season’s most destructive flaws.

Worse than Diaz, though, is what the writers did to characters we loved or were growing to love throughout Season 6. Rene, Dinah, and even Diggle suddenly behaved wildly out-of-character during this season strictly for the means of the plot. The writers had an idea in their minds, to make Oliver feel at his most lonely and vulnerable and desperate, so that he would be in a place where he felt he had to make this type of sacrifice at the end of the season. However, in order to push Oliver to that place, we had to have Rene choose to betray Oliver in order to save Zoe instead of working with his friend and leader to help protect her. We had to have Dinah hypocritically call Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle out for lying while she was hiding her relationship with Vince from them. We had to have Diggle want to be the Green Arrow for reasons he can’t even fully articulate during this finale and question Oliver’s leadership after five-plus years of standing by him.

All of this conflict has been unearned and manufactured, and unfortunately, it’s why so many of Oliver’s conversations (I refuse to call them apologies cause Oliver has nothing to apologize for) with his teammates, even with Dig, fall flat for me throughout “Life Sentence.” There’s no real emotional foundation for these exchanges to stand on after the inconsistent character work of Season 6, and therefore, what are supposed to be these authentic moments between friends feel just as hastily assembled as the original problems that pushed them apart. Even parts of these scenes that do somewhat work for me, such as Diggle telling Oliver that having two Green Arrows would diminish the importance of what the GA stands for and Dinah saying that she respects him more than he could ever know, still ring false. In these moments, Diggle and Dinah feel like the versions of who their characters used to be before their dramatic personality shifts, and there hasn’t been enough ownership of their own faults and self-reflection to explain how they could suddenly switch back to the people they used to be.
-So I’ve seen a lot of chatter online about how Oliver’s goodbye scene to Felicity and William isn’t satisfying because he doesn’t hug either of them or say “I love you,” and I can understand that complaint. However, I also would argue that, as important as that scene is to the Oliver/Felicity relationship, it’s, as I mentioned above, much more about Oliver, in his own mind, believing that he’s finally tackling all of the roles and responsibilities he’s struggled with this season. In that moment, through his sacrifice, Oliver believes he’s being the best husband, father, wife, leader, and mayor possible. Do I like his decision? Do I think it’s fully justified? Do I think he should have kept it from Felicity? Hell no to all three of those, but I do appreciate that Oliver’s choice here is selfless and, in many ways, heroic. Plus, Stephen and Emily absolutely killed it, and their acting throughout the scene elevated the material and had me buying into it more, even if the writing itself wasn’t as strong as it should have been.
-Black Siren has done a lot of reprehensible things throughout Season 6, but I don’t think I’ll ever forgive her for helping to let Diaz go, even if it was accidental. The fact that Diaz is still alive after this season has me furious, and I don’t care how cool the Longbow Hunters sound. If they’re with Diaz, I don’t want them in Season 7.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

Arrow, ‘Life Sentence’: Highlight-Worthy Moments Floating in a Swamp of Bad Decisions and Inconsistent Plotting
BY CRAIG WACK · MAY 18, 2018
http://oohlo.com/2018/05/18/arrow-life-sentence-highlight-worthy-moments-floating-in-a-swamp-of-bad-decisions-and-inconsistent-plotting/

If there was ever a season that needed to tie off the story it was telling instead of making a bigger mess, it was this season of Arrow. Part of the hope was that the Diaz story (and to a lesser degree the Black Siren plot) would be finished off, and everyone could start anew next season. Instead, we got everything we didn’t want, and in a hastily assembled package. Here’s everything you need to know about the latest episode of Arrow:
Sex and the Olicity: Felicity has long been the audience’s avatar in the Arrowverse, and it’s still fun to hear viewers’ thoughts come out of Felicity’s mouth, like when she asked Ollie what his Apology Tour 2018 was all about. Ollie was uncharacteristically nice to everyone (except poor Curtis, who didn’t get an apology, despite the fact that following Ollie pretty much ended Curtis’ marriage). Diggle was offered his own green suit, while Rene and Dinah got complements and apologies for the sacrifices they’ve made on Ollie’s behalf. Emily Bett-Rickards dialed up in these scenes, after the true scope of Ollie’s plans are revealed. It was heartbreaking to watch Felicity so overwhelmed by the situation, but that was exactly the point.
What about the action:  Let’s take time out to talk about sloppy directing, here. The action sequences themselves were well-executed; they weren’t the problem. The bulk of this episode took place in the space of a few hours, so Team Arrow’s ability to get in and out of masks and makeup in mere minutes was distracting. Right from the jump, the smoke hadn’t cleared from the initial raid and everybody was not only out of their masks, but had taken off their greasepaint as well (It makes you imagine if the cameras rolled a little longer after the “Clear!” sequence, the members of Team Arrow all rush into the bathroom to wash their faces). Curtis was especially noticeable, because he uses more paint than anyone, and changes his hair. They went back and forth from the base to the field several times, making the series of sudden transformations distracting and laughable, especially when Curtis interrupted a tender Olicity moment to say everyone was ready to go (when it was clear he still had at least an hour of hair and makeup ahead of him).

The big battle was solid, but had its inexplicable moments. If there was ever a time for the return of the boxing glove Arrow, it was when Diaz dared Ollie to shoot him. It would have made all the lame setup during the back half of the season worth it, if Diaz made his dare, and Ollie hit him in the face with a boxing glove projectile that knocked him out and down the stairs. Instead, we got a chase and a martial arts battle in the drizzle, and Black Siren attempting to finish off Diaz, but only managing to knock him safely into the water, instead. Laurel — from any alternate universe — is still the worst.
There were some odd choices made as well. Among the few things we know about Diaz is that he is willing to play the long game. He has plans within plans. He built a criminal empire just so he could prove to his childhood bully that Diaz made something of himself (and burn him alive). The last two episodes, Diaz has suffered a few setbacks that have turned him into an impulsive rage monster, complete with flying spittle and bulging face veins.

In the end, this episode was the perfect encapsulation of this uneven season of Arrow: A couple of highlight-worthy moments (the action sequences, Ollie’s apology tour) floating in a swamp of bad decisions, and inconsistent plotting. Thankfully there are some changes happening behind the scenes on Arrow for next year and maybe that new staff can get the show out of the frustrating corner it has painted itself into.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Arrow's Emily Bett Rickards Shared How Hard It Was To Say Goodbye To Paul Blackthorne
 BY LAURA HURLEY  May 17, 2018
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2421452/arrows-emily-bett-rickards-shared-how-hard-it-was-to-say-goodbye-to-paul-blackthorne

... Emily Bett Rickards, who plays computer hacker extraordinaire Felicity Smoak, spoke with CinemaBlend about her reaction to Paul Blackthorne's exit, saying this:

"I was shocked when I found out in a way that I felt like a pillar was being taken away from my house. I don't get to work with Paul a whole lot and both of us always ask to work together more, and knowing that it's not necessarily as much of an option anymore kind of crushes me a little bit because working with Paul is so interesting and invigorating as an actor. As far as his character goes, I hope we did it justice and I think saying goodbye to him as a character was really hard. As it should be! Saying goodbye should be hard. It should be hard. It always is hard. I hate goodbyes. I hate them, I really do."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Arrow Review: Life Sentence (Season 6 Episode 23)
May 18, 2018   Brianna Martinez
https://www.telltaletv.com/2018/05/arrow-review-life-sentence-season-6-episode-23/

Arrow Season 6 Episode 23, “Life Sentence,” seemingly goes to extraordinary lengths to prove what we’ve known for a while: Oliver Queen (and his family) deserve better.

After seeing everything that Oliver has gone through, to see him sacrifice everything that he’s worked so hard for — his family, his job, his position as the Green Arrow — is maddening.

For the sake of a city that does nothing but call him a criminal and a team that deserted him when he needed them to fight the very reason, he has to reach out to Samanda for help on Arrow Season 6 Episode 22.
Oliver going to each team member and offering them apologies and final words of encouragement (that not all of them earned, by the way) adds to the resignation and hopelessness of what is bound to happen to him by hour’s end.
But it’s his moments with Quentin and Felicity and William that break my heart.
Amell and Emily Bett Rickards always do a fantastic job when it comes to Olicity moments, which have become highlights of many episodes for me this past season, and their last conversation before Oliver’s sent to Supermax is no exception.

It’s devastating seeing Felicity walk in, realizing that Oliver’s committed to doing this for the city, for the team, and for her and William. You can feel the pain of their impending separation and the realization set in as to what this prison sentence and the identity reveal means for their lives at that moment.
But something doesn’t quite sit right with the way it all goes down. I’m still trying to figure out what it is that doesn’t feel true to this season’s version of themselves as I write this review.

Could it be Oliver’s choice to go to Samanda and submit to this prison sentence? Could it be his choice to keep the deal from Felicity? Could it just be the overall mood of the season?
Then there’s the continued villain issue which by the end of the hour shows no signs of ending anytime soon.

Diaz is not a Malcolm Merlyn. He’s not a Slade Wilson. There’s no energy to him that could make him an engaging villain that could sustain a story beyond a single season (not that what we saw of him this season was remotely engaging, to begin with).

It’s this lack of sustainability and ominousness that makes the decision to have him survive by the end of it so perplexing.

Not once at any point in this season did he prove himself to be a believably worthy opponent for Oliver without any assistance or cheating, shifting the odds in Diaz’s favor. It feels like he was never fully fleshed out in terms of motivation, even with that entire hour devoted to him.

So seeing Diaz escape (thanks to Siren’s terrible decisions) adds a bit of nervousness about what happens next. Could he just be a loose end that gets tied up in the first episode or so next season, or is this a sign of more of him coming?
-We can agree that if it wasn’t for Earth-2 Laurel, a good percentage of what happened could have been avoided (including Lance’s death), right?
-After all of that, redemption can’t possibly be in the cards for Siren.
-The choices in the season’s final hour really do represent the uneven season we have had.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

I keep seeing the word "frustrating" or "frustration" pop up in a lot of 623 reviews...

‘ARROW’ 6×23 REVIEW: LET’S START A NEW CHAPTER
Posted on May 18, 2018 By Alyssa Barbieri
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-6x23-review-lets-start-a-new-chapter/

Arrow is like the weather. One day it’s sunny skies and breezy, the next it’s either sweltering hot or storming like the apocalypse. You never really know what to expect. Though I blame that on the current (now past) showrunners. Their tenure has been marred with inconsistency and frustration that there’s actually a collective sigh of relief that they’re handing (forcibly or not) the torch over to someone new that can try and get Arrow back on track.

It’s hard to believe that there was actually a point during this season where I believed that this season had promise. Reuniting Oliver and Felicity. Focusing on family. A promising big bad in Cayden James. But somewhere around midseason, it all went downhill.

Even with its highs of the season — Olicity’s wedding, OTA back together solo, the Oliver/William storyline, Diggle as interim GA, etc. — this season couldn’t be saved from the inconsistencies that plagued it. Season 6, while I’ll always know it as the season that Oliver and Felicity got married, will also be known as the season where they made Curtis, Rene, and Dinah look like total jackasses and, even more laughable, attempted to get the audience to sympathize with them. It was also when they made Quentin look like a complete and total moron as he seemed to forget that a murderer that looked like his daughter wasn’t actually his daughter. Oh, and that time where Arrow has Oliver and Diggle fight for no damn reason. And not to mention, this was the season with the worst Big Bad in Arrow history and DCTV history, to be honest. And that includes Vandal Savage and Non. What a joke.
Arrow’s season 6 finale was underwhelming, to say the least. It wasn’t thrilling. It wasn’t exciting. It didn’t have a moment that gave us hope for next season (probably because Marc and Wendy already knew they were leaving and didn’t bother.) It fell short and underwhelming. And if my faves hadn’t been in it, I probably would’ve fallen asleep like I did during “The Dragon.”

Aside from a few really nice emotional moments, this finale was downright boring. Being forced to watch Oliver apologize to everyone and their mother, especially people that didn’t deserve it. Being forced to listen to Diaz whine like a little bitch because he’s a terrible excuse for a villain. Being forced to watch Quentin Lance die after being forced to be an idiot all season. Being forced to watch Black Siren get a chance to say goodbye, but not Sara Lance his actual daughter. Being forced to watch Oliver Queen, a good f***ing man, get cuffed and carried away to prison while terrible people like Rene and Curtis got off scott-free.
Which led to his conversation with Felicity after the fact. Not only did Felicity read his “goodbye tour” loud and clear (although she assumed he was just stepping down), but we got an emotional scene between the two as the still-newlyweds (because it’s only been a few months) were faced with a future without each other for, well, life? Obviously that won’t happen, but it was the idea. Watching Oliver be Oliver and lay his life down to protect his wife and son never ceases to be powerful. Watching Oliver always try to protect everyone but himself continues to be frustrating. Watching Oliver and Felicity always having to say goodbye…you’d think I’d be used to it by now.
Oliver is the most disrespected hero in this DCTV universe. Because he’s the dark one or the one that started it all, it’s caused a lot of so-called DCTV “fans” to tear him to shreds and prop up their own. Or characters on these other shows are even guilty of it. But if anyone took the time to actually watch Oliver Queen, they’d see that he’s one of the most selfless heroes and one of the most selfless people.
From one side of the spectrum to the other. I’m sorry, but Black Siren gets to say goodbye to Quentin, but Sara (his actual daughter) doesn’t? What kind of bullshit is this?

Here’s the thing, I’ve always loved Quentin and his relationship with his daughters. It’s one of the more long standing and beautiful dynamics on the show, and I’ve enjoyed watching it. But the way this whole Quentin/Black Siren storyline played out was beyond laughable. And it’s not because Quentin felt “drawn” to her because she looked like Laurel. It was in how he actually believed she was his actual daughter.
I would’ve had no problem in Quentin seeing Black Siren, seeing that maybe there’s some humanity within her, and attempting to access it and Laurel Lance of Earth-2. But instead, he tried to turn her into his Laurel. He even got to the point where he called her “my daughter,” which was ridiculous. That murderer isn’t his daughter. She’s just someone that wears her face.

But you do know who is your daughter? Sara Lance.
As every season finale begs the question: What now? What happens now? What happens now that Oliver Queen is locked up in a supermax? What happens now that Diaz is still not dead? (For the love of God, if I have to deal with Diaz as a villain again next season, we’re going to have some serious problems.)
So who’s the new villain? I’m asking not because I want to or need to know right now, but because I need confirmation that you’re done with Diaz. Because I cannot handle that.

P.S.: I really mean it. If I have to deal with Diaz for two seasons straight, I’m going the hell off. Don’t embarrass yourselves any further, please
-Again, how is Diaz scary? Me waking up at 5am every morning is scarier.
-Diggle apologizing for his OOC behavior. Says it’d be diminished if more than one GA. Diggle says “it wasn’t about the costume.” THEN WHY DID THE SHOWRUNNERS MAKE IT ABOUT THAT?
-Felicity hacking the shit out of everything and being a motherf***king Queen. MOOD.
-Diaz is terrible at everything. Yelling. Speaking. Threatening. Talking in general. Good god.
-I love how the writers credit Diaz with these elaborate “traps” when it’s not even realistic that he can tie his own shoes without help.
-Quentin blaming Oliver for Laurel’s death. F**k you, Arrow.
-Quentin just took a bullet for a stranger that looks like his daughter. Remember that when he dies.
-Diaz is so f**king stupid. That cannot be said enough.
-Slow motion isn’t enough to convince us that this is a good fight or a believable one. Oliver could’ve and would’ve downed him with one punch.
-F**king Black Siren fucking ruining everything. Oliver had him. She blew him away. Bitch saved his life. He’s still alive and is gonna kill someone now. Hopefully Black Siren after that.
-Felicity crying hurts me in my soul. Screw this show for doing that to her. Again.
-Oh for the love of God, don’t tell me we have to deal with Diaz AGAIN next season?
-Thank God it’s over.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 10
(edited)

Entertainment Weekly's Superhero Insider
May 18, 2018   Natalie Abrams & Kyle Anderson
https://soundcloud.com/ewradio/superhero-insider-5

-- Arrow 623: Natalie and Kyle both loved this finale (go figure)

-- Kyle thought it was "excellent." He said that this season was "a little rockier" than last season, but thought that the finale was a "fantastic hour of television." He also thought that DR was the finale's MVP. Kyle was also "weirdly... optimistic" about Diaz continuing into next season, even though he had previously criticized the villain story for telling and not showing.

-- Natalie "really, thoroughly enjoyed" the finale. She said that Oliver was "this close" to taking Diaz down, but a "distraught and emotional Laurel" came up and "canary blasted him straight into the water."(*) 

(* If this Laurel is called Black Siren and has never been called Black Canary, should you really be using the term "canary" to describe her sonic scream?)

-- Kyle thought that the finale "did a nice job of setting up the ramifications of what [Quentin's] death are going to be" next season. Natalie then mentioned her post-mortem interview with MG. She also liked Sara's appearance in the finale. 

-- Per her MG interview, Natalie then said that next season

we're going to see "Laurel on the war path" seeking revenge on Diaz for killing Quentin, who had really "become her father."

Kyle said that we still don't know much about this Laurel and that she's still a "mystery."

-- Kyle questioned the team's immunity and whether they're now free to be vigilantes, despite the city's anti-vigilante law.

-- Per her MG interview, with regard to Oliver making his decision on his own, without consulting his wife, Natalie said that

there'll be "pretty big repercussions" next season, because Felicity lost her husband and became a single parent "in one fell swoop" as a result.

-- Kyle and Natalie both praised CL's acting in her brief Arrow appearance and on LoT.

-- They then talked about Beth Schwartz taking over as showrunner. They also talked about the Longbow Hunters name drop in the finale.

-- Per her MG interview, Natalie said that she'll have a Roy spoiler in next week's EW Spoiler Room article.

-- As for what they want to see in S7, Natalie wants to see "Team Arrow still together" next season. Kyle would also like to see the "fissures healed" after this season's Civil War. Kyle wants the Diaz character to be "honed a little bit better" during the hiatus. He also wants to see the ramifications of Quentin's death to play out next season.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I love DR but how is he the MVP?

It didn't make sense to me. Kyle just said something about how DR is one of those guys who don't always get the spotlight, but when he has to bring it, he really brings it. He also mentioned that DR/Diggle was on The Flash this week as well. However, Kyle then said specifically that he thought DR was the MVP of last night's episode. 

Edited by tv echo
49 minutes ago, tv echo said:

-- Natalie "really, thoroughly enjoyed" the finale. She said that Oliver was "this close" to taking Diaz down, but a "distraught and emotional Laurel" came up and "canary blasted him straight into the water."(*) 

(* If this Laurel is called Black Siren and has never been called Black Canary, should you really be using the term "canary" to describe her sonic scream?)

When you get to the technicalities of it....no. It would be a Siren Scream/Cry but just about everyone from the show to reviewers have been using the term Canary Cry when it comes to Black Siren. 

(edited)

Media report on SA panel at Wizard World Philadelphia yesterday (May 18)...

Wizard World Philadelphia 2018: Arrow’s Stephen Amell Tries SUPER HARD To Avoid Season Finale Spoilers
MAY 18, 2018 BEC HEIM 
http://www.4ye.co.uk/2018/05/wizard-world-philadelphia-2018-arrows-stephen-amell-tries-super-hard-to-avoid-season-finale-spoilers/

It must be a very interesting position to be in when you have a panel where half of the audience has seen the season finale of your show and the other half hasn’t yet. That’s the situation that Arrow star Stephen Amell found himself in during his panel at Wizard World Philadelphia.

During the panel, Amell had to dance around spoilers, beg for some of his own, avoid talking about season seven, and reflect on his career. It was a lot funnier than it sounded.
Naturally, things started off with Amell talking about the season finale in the most roundabout way possible in order to avoid spoilers. The last scene that he shot was with Emily Bett Rickards, who plays Oliver’s wife Felicity Smoak. It was a majorly emotional day on the set for them both, especially since when Rickards cries, Amell sympathy cries with her. He also felt like it was his favorite moment, outside of the introduction between Oliver and Felicity in season one, with Emily on the show.

Spoiler

Amell was grateful for what they did in season six, calling it a “transitionary year” for the show. As a consequence, there have been fundamental shifts which will go into season seven. While Amell knows somethings that will happen next year, he had to stop himself from spoiling it for the fans. He did, however, express his excitement for Batwoman making her live-action debut in next year’s crossover event. From what he personally knows of the crossover, he gets goosebumps thinking about it. While he does know what the suit will look like, he doesn’t want to pick an actor to portray the character. Instead he hopes the best person for the part, gets it.

If there was someone that he would have liked to have more screentime with, then it will always seem to be Colin Donnell (the late Tommy Merlyn). Amell mentioned several times that he would love the chance to work with Colin again. While he is upset that Paul Blackthorne, Quentin Lance, left the show and cried when he filmed his last scene with him; he’s still going to choose Donnell and would love to have him back. He’s even happy to do an appearance on Donnell’s show Chicago Med if he gets the call. Also Donnell helped him score some peak Dad points when he scored tickets for them to see Frozen on Broadway with their kids.

On the topic of his daughter, Amell admitted that she’ll probably never appear on camera. He “respects the fourth wall” too much for that to happen. He does, however, love it when she visits the set. She gets super into it: standing on a little mark while the block a scene, riding the dolly with the cameramen. She even gets to yell “action” and “cut” on occasion, which sent one unsuspecting cast member into fits of laughter.

Spoiler

While Amell is excited to bring in Gotham and some of the Bat mythos to the Arrowverse, he is really proud of the previous crossover events. 

He thought that playing Arrow-X and being evil was a lot of fun on Crisis From Earth-X. His favorite in-series moment, however, remains Oliver giving Barry (Grant Gustin) the name the Flash.

Off camera? Well that’s another story. His favorite off-camera crossover moment was with Melissa Benoist (who plays Kara Danver/Supergirl) and Tom Cavanagh (who plays Reverse Flash) in Earth-X. Apparently, Melissa actually fell asleep while they were filming. It took Amell and Cavanagh a moment to realize that she was legitimately asleep. Rather than Cavanagh waking her up gently, Amell decided to sing a silly song that he made up on the spot to rouse his co-star.

As for other crossovers not in the Arrowverse, Amell admitted that he would be down for a Supernatural crossover with his buddies Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles. He goes back to what Greg Berlanti said about fans when asked these questions: they get to their jobs because of how much the fans support them. If such a crossover would bring the fans joy, then Stephen Amell is there for it.

He also follows a piece of advice that John Barrowman (Malcolm Merlyn) gave him. If you give people a little access in your life, then they will respect when you need space. If you don’t, then they will rush at you. An example of that advice is when Amell walked the floor at last year’s SDCC on his way to dinner with only one bodyguard, admitting that he kind of hid in plain sight.
He admits that he has never really stopped to consider the impact of Arrow and the Arrowverse on how people tell and think about comic book television. He considers himself “deep in the forest” that he hasn’t really reflected back on everything. He did admit feeling a bit strange at the recent CW Upfronts where he was the elder statesmen to the younger shows. He doesn’t see it going on forever, ribbing both Padalecki and Ackles by saying he doesn’t see an Arrow season 31 unlike Supernatural.

He does wish, however, that someone, anyone, will spoil the end of Avengers: Infinity War for him because he hasn’t seen it yet. He wants to know how it ends. No. One. Will. Tell. Him. Though if Oliver Queen did end up on in the MCU, then he would love to team-up with Sebastian Stan (who plays Bucky Barnes).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Superhero Insider: Relationships are tested on Arrow, Supergirl
CHANCELLOR AGARD May 18, 2018 at 03:56 PM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/18/superhero-insider-arrow-supergirl/

If you had asked how season 6 of Arrow was going to end, Oliver going to prison and Diaz living to fight another day (read: in season 7) wouldn’t have been at the top of my list. It’s great the show can still surprise me after six seasons. While I don’t think these twists redeem this uneven season, they do make me interested in revisiting the season when it goes up on Netflix in a few weeks, and I’m also very excited to see where the show goes in season 7. Obviously, Oliver will be back under the hood, but I’m curious as to the how it will happen, whether or not the writers can find a believable reason for it to happen, and how Oliver’s unilateral decision will affect his marriage with Felicity and his relationship with the team. (ASIDE: It must be said again, but Stephen Amell gave an amazingly moving performance in the season 6 finale. His two final scenes with Paul Blackthorne were so moving). —Chancellor Agard

Edited by tv echo