Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Gotta agree, this is way sexier than KC's Black Canary costume.  And still more practical, despite being sexier.

Urgh. No. Look at those disgustingly uncool curls (or waves or whatever) in that wig! Doesn't she know anything about fashion? She's not even wearing any sort of bold lipstick, nor can you even see her fingernails. Fail.

• Love 4

Gotta agree, this is way sexier than KC's Black Canary costume.  And still more practical, despite being sexier.

It's sexier and more feminine (not because of the low cut top (well partially that) but mostly because of the delicate textures and patterns on the suit as well as the delicate curls on the wig. IDK, her look (soft but strong) reminds me of Agent Carter's personality. 

It's sexier and more feminine (not because of the low cut top (well partially that) but mostly because of the delicate textures and patterns on the suit as well as the delicate curls on the wig. IDK, her look (soft but strong) reminds me of Agent Carter's personality. 

Yeah, and it seems like it'd be easier to fight in since it's tighter and tailored better and has 100% less buckles. In the Midnight City promo pics, Katie looks like she's got these same curls in her wig. Maybe she wasn't feeling so sexy and strong that day?

• Love 2

Maybe she wasn't feeling so sexy and strong that day?

IDK about that, but someone has to get rid of those spidery eye-lashes. They really bother me for some reason??? And they're further accentuated by the mask and I just really hate it

• Love 2

Who cares if the police and your enemies can identify you using your fingerprints since showing off your nail polish matching your lipstick is more important.

I am someone who loves nail polish.  I collect tons of it and give myself manicures all the time.  Even with polish being a hobby for me, the idea of wearing fingerless gloves to show off the nails matching the lip when you're a crime fighter is utterly ridiculous.  So, before going out to save the day she's going to first do her nails?   Seriously!?  "I've got to go save those hostages but after my nails are dry."   You can do feminine and practical which is what Sara's costume pulled off.

• Love 4

Those spidery lashes have been bugging me since the first season. Someone should really tell the makeup department they don't work. They're actually very distracting because instead of me watching the actor, I end up focusing on the lashes. And with that mask? Oy vey!

• Love 3

Agree that Sara's BC costume was so much sexier.

But thinking about it, I really believe that KC was trying to honor the comics BC with that costume.  Lace and fishnets because that's what the Black Canary wears in the comics.  Doesn't matter if it doesn't work on a live action TV, it's what's in the comics.

I can't believe they let her get away with fingerless gloves.  Does that mean her identity is going be revealed soon? Like really, really soon?

• Love 1

So basically she is getting whatever she wants?? Well Katie, as long as you think you look pretty while fighting who cares if it's realistic right?

I read or watched an interview of hers last year where she was talking about her character's actions and choices, and how she was able to convince TPTB to make changes that suited KC's take on the character. IMO, a lot of the problems with Laurel can be attributed to KC.

Edited by Pothunter
  • Love 3

Wait, so she wanted a different look for the costume she will have to wear, and the crew trusted her input? YES, CLEARLY SHE IS HORRIBLE.

I don't think she's horrible (she's not my favorite, but I don't think she's the worst), and I'm sure that article could have been skewed to make it look like pretty much all she talked about was the costuming, or that was all the interviewer focused on.  But it's just flat-out silly that the costume and the suggestions she mentions making are so impractical for a crime-fighting vigilante, from the buckles to the lipstick and nail polish.  I don't have a problem with her wanting a strong, sexy costume that isn't an exact replica's of Sara's, but unfortunately I don't think her suggestions were that great.

ETA: Sorry, not the part about the buckles.  

Edited by pigs-in-space
  • Love 5

I like it when actors take charge and provide input on their characters because they can see things a different way than the writers do.  But not every suggestion an actor makes is a good one, and someone should have taken a look at this costume and fixed the flaws before it went out to the world to be mocked. 

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4
Did she suggest the buckles too? I missed that part.

I think I know who did:

(from Leverage, S2E10, "The Runway Job")

Gloria: Yes. Yes I am. I'm Gloria Pan. And can I say, I'm a great admirer.

Tara: So kind. I'm sure your work is wonderful too. May I?

Gloria: Really? Please.

Tara (looks through Gloria’s sketchbook): Oh. So lovely. Such bold use of buckles, huh?

Gloria: I call it Pilgrim Chic.

( The group took down a sweatshop front for Triad money. Gloria was the wannabe designer wife. My head cannon is that Gloria is doing work-release in the Starling City area. )

• Love 1

I'm sure that article could have been skewed to make it look like pretty much all she talked about was the costuming, or that was all the interviewer focused on.  

Yes, the article was about the costume.

But it's just flat-out silly that the costume and the suggestions she mentions making are so impractical for a crime-fighting vigilante, from the buckles to the lipstick and nail polish.  I don't have a problem with her wanting a strong, sexy costume that isn't an exact replica's of Sara's, but unfortunately I don't think her suggestions were that great.

It's not any more impractical or "flawed" than any of the other hero (and villain) costumes on the show. Like say, Sara-Canary's bulletproof cleavage or Arrow and Arsenal's hoods that impede their peripheral vision. If people don't like the costume, that's their opinion; but somehow that's being used to make judgements about Katie Cassidy.

Maybe the costume designer just likes shiny things.

A costume designer?? Does that mean that there are OTHER people who made decisions about the costume?

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1

'Arrow' Shoots Down the Geek-Ditz Complex (The Daily Beast)

. . . Felicity is a computer genius and the brains of Team Arrow. She also is never without bright pink lipstick and is an avid lover of dresses with peplums, jewelry, and heels. Probably the last place you would expect to find such a character is on the CW, a network known for female characters whose sole purpose is being torn between two lovers . . .

. . . Felicity Smoak is not only the smartest person on the show; she’s also one of the smartest people in the DC universe. She is the role model your daughter (and you) are looking for. She is unapologetically a fully-realized human being . . .

. . . When we first meet Felicity, she is awkward, a trait she keeps throughout the series. However, she is confident in one thing—her brain—and it is what earned her a place on the Arrow’s team. Felicity’s role is anything but that of a sidekick. She is the Arrow’s partner. There are many moments when only she has the knowledge to save the world. In the Season 1 finale, she alone knows how to dismantle a bomb that will kill thousands of people. In nearly every episode, Felicity helps the Arrow hack and track the villains of Starling City. In fact, this show could easily be titled Smoak, with the Arrow serving as merely “the muscle” to Felicity’s superpowered brain . . .

. . . Societal convention tells us that being both a genius and feminine at the same time is abnormal, so much so that when a woman blends both attributes (and becomes a whole person), every character must remark on how she defies the very laws of nature. On Arrow, Felicity doesn’t defy any laws. The writers present her without ceremony. There is no commentary on how her looks are not consistent with what society expects of someone with her interests or intelligence. There are no remarks about how her intelligence makes her a special snowflake among women. Felicity is simply who she is and who she is, is normal . . .

ETA: Sorry---just realized this was already posted in the Felicity Smoak thread.

Edited by dcinmb
  • Love 2

The Arrow After Show was worth a listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1hbZPs1_YQ&feature=youtu.be

My favorite part. It's nice that more and more reviewers are singling out Felicity's development and EBR's acting.

Felicity Smoak is the strongest, most well-rounded female in all of television right now."

They talk about the "trinity" of Digg, Oliver and Felicity being the show. How good Felicity was in this episode, and  have some funny remarks on "buckle lady".

• Love 3

The reviews were generally quite positive for the "Left Behind" episode.  Many reviewers were very complimentary of EBR's performance as Felicity.  For example (in addition to the EW recap posted by Velocity23 above):

Arrow: Left Behind review
Review Mike Cecchini 1/21/2015 at 9:56PM
http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/242954/cw-arrow-season-3-episode-10-left-behind-review

Actually, I should say, especially Felicity. She runs the show this week. Felicity and Malcolm Merlyn are the two supporting characters with the most meat on their bones in this episode, but for Emily Bett Rickards to (literally) go toe to toe with John Barrowman and have her character come off looking like the superior badass, well...that’s something. Again, this character just continues to impress, and every time I think they’ve written her into a corner, something like this comes along. That’s right, Roy and Diggle. You answer to Felicity Smoak now.

Arrow’ Review: “Left Behind”
Kevin Fitzpatrick | 7 hours ago
http://screencrush.com/arrow-review-left-behind/

Felicity hasn’t exactly lacked for screentime or story beats, though “Left Behind” understandably gets the most mileage of Emily Bett Rickards’ myriad reactions to Oliver’s absence, whether by her apparent refusal to face the truth, seething agency against Malcolm Merlyn for precipitating Oliver’s ultimate fate, or her ultimate insistence on protecting the friends she has left. Say what you will about Felicity being only 25 (Rickards is in reality 23, so yeah, we’re all dinosaurs), it’s exceptionally effective to see the character taking such emotional command in the wake of Oliver’s apparent demise.

ARROW: "LEFT BEHIND" REVIEW
JESSE SCHEDEEN → JANUARY 21, 2015
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/22/arrow-left-behind-review

Meanwhile, Felicity provided a strong emotional anchor to the conflict as she struggled to keep functioning after losing the man she loved. Emily Bett Rickards delivered a strong performance this week, downplaying Felicity’s usual ditzy charm for something more raw and broken.

On the other hand, this reviewer was quite anti-Felicity (and unsurprisingly, quite pro-Laurel):

Arrow Season 3 Episode 10 Review: Left Behind
by Carissa Pavlica at January 21, 2015 10:18 pm.  Updated at January 21, 2015 10:17 pm.
http://www.tvfanatic.com/2015/01/arrow-season-3-episode-10-review-left-behind/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Um I'm with Katie on the wig, Sara's wig fucking SUCKED. Not because it was curly though just because it always looked like a wig that was just about to fly off her head and the idea that it did not fly off her head whilst kicking ass bugged me every time, I loved on Gotham when Jada just emphasized Fish's shifty wig having ways and straightened it after kicking the Penguin's ass.

Given the reviewer's opinions about KC and Laurel, I'm a little surprised MG retweeted the link. But Vulture recapping the show is a big enough deal that I suppose he could overlook the negativity about her in an otherwise positive review. Plus, I'm sure he's used to it by now.

• Love 1

I came here to add the link if noone else has, thanks for doing so.

Big deal - yes. Also a very funny and good read!

That was a good read! And I was just thinking the same thing about Laurel's reaction to Oliver's death. Witty recaps are my fave.

• Love 2

Best part of the Eonline article about the new Black Canary costumes/KC's influence in its design:

Except she'll be doing it with a new costume, which was unveiled back in November, prompting a fandom freakout.

I love how 'fandom freakout' is used and could imply negative, positive or both. I think the reaction at the time was largely positive on the show's FB page but there has been steady criticism as well. But it did get people talking. 

In terms of KC's influence on the design.  Not only do I dislike her choices but I also think she is focusing on the wrong parts. Who the hell cares about her make up? She should have been focusing on what looks like a believable costume that she could also work with for movement and so on. The wig? Is a stupid liability (I didn't like Sara's either). I have been worried about what KC's focus has been for her character on the show since the first few episodes aired.  Every interview seemed to show a widening disconnect. But this - and I know it was focused on the costume, on purpose -- is even more alarming. I believe it shows her priorities are messed up.  And we've been seeing the results for 2+ years now and I don't see that improving. She has different prioirites.

• Love 7

Actually, I should say, especially Felicity. She runs the show this week. Felicity and Malcolm Merlyn are the two supporting characters with the most meat on their bones in this episode, but for Emily Bett Rickards to (literally) go toe to toe with John Barrowman and have her character come off looking like the superior badass, well...that’s something. Again, this character just continues to impress, and every time I think they’ve written her into a corner, something like this comes along. That’s right, Roy and Diggle. You answer to Felicity Smoak now.

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/arrow/242954/cw-arrow-season-3-episode-10-left-behind-review

• Love 2

In terms of KC's influence on the design.  Not only do I dislike her choices but I also think she is focusing on the wrong parts. Who the hell cares about her make up? She should have been focusing on what looks like a believable costume that she could also work with for movement and so on. The wig? Is a stupid liability (I didn't like Sara's either). I have been worried about what KC's focus has been for her character on the show since the first few episodes aired.  Every interview seemed to show a widening disconnect. But this - and I know it was focused on the costume, on purpose -- is even more alarming. I believe it shows her priorities are messed up.  And we've been seeing the results for 2+ years now and I don't see that improving. She has different prioirites.

In previous years the CW was often referred to as "the pretty people network". Plot and writing didn't matter, it was just all about how pretty the cast was (Gossip Girl, Melrose Place,  One Tree Hill, 90210, Hart of Dixie, etc). Katie Cassidy was on some of those shows, and knows that world. It's possible she's still stuck in that mentality, while the network is trying to go in a different, more serious direction now (Arrow and Jane the Virgin) but she hasn't yet caught up to that. There's nothing wrong with wanting your character to be pretty and feminine and be fashionable, but that's not what Arrow is about and someone should clue her into that. 

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 5

I don't think Arrow is head and shoulders above the shows you mentioned, though, and something like Jane the Virgin, which is critically acclaimed and has received awards attention, seems to have more in common with Gossip Girl than it does with Arrow. Just because she wanted her costume to look nice doesn't mean she isn't taking her job seriously. Arrow is a fun show. It's a good show, but I don't think a serious tone automatically makes the show more respectable than a teen soap when Arrow is pretty guilty of throwing out logic for plot reasons.

I don't think Arrow is head and shoulders above the shows you mentioned, though, and something like Jane the Virgin, which is critically acclaimed and has received awards attention, seems to have more in common with Gossip Girl than it does with Arrow. Just because she wanted her costume to look nice doesn't mean she isn't taking her job seriously. Arrow is a fun show. It's a good show, but I don't think a serious tone automatically makes the show more respectable than a teen soap when Arrow is pretty guilty of throwing out logic for plot reasons.

I don't think there's anything wrong with her being involved in the design of the costume and having input and wanting it to look good at all. But based on the interviews that came out after the TCAs when he answers about Laurel taking up Sara's cause were basically the same, over and over, about how she's got a big heart and she's strong and Sara sort of fell into it but Laurel's such a good person that she's doing it voluntarily, etc. it's jarring to see her give more thoughtful answers about the costume than she ever did about the character. It seems like to her, the important part is the costume, not the person who's wearing it. 

• Love 7

Why is Vulture a big deal?  I didn't realize it held street cred.

It's one of the New York magazine blogs, and former home to critics like Matt Zoller Seitz, who's one of the most well-respected critics among other critics. It has a lot of industry cred, with studios, entertainers, and other critics. As for their TV recaps, they generally recap all the Emmy-caliber shows and then other shows they deem "buzzworthy," so adding Arrow to the roster is a nice nod for the show.

• Love 4

It's one of the New York magazine blogs, and former home to critics like Matt Zoller Seitz, who's one of the most well-respected critics among other critics. It has a lot of industry cred, with studios, entertainers, and other critics. As for their TV recaps, they generally recap all the Emmy-caliber shows and then other shows they deem "buzzworthy," so adding Arrow to the roster is a nice nod for the show.

Thank You.  I heard the name before but never realized it was such a big deal until I saw the comments here.

Vulture adding it to its recap roster is also indicative of Arrow's Web popularity, IMO. Vulture wants those hits and clicks. Like the recapper said, it's very strange for them to start doing a recap of a show in the middle of its third season.

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 1

Reading how much the Vulture reviewer knows about the show and the bizarreness of starting to recap mid season 3, I got the feeling that she likes the show and has been watching it for a while, and asked the magazine if she could start recapping it.

Nice for the Arrow EPs if it has that much cred. 

• Love 2

Don't know if this has been posted before. Looked but couldn't find it.

Lego Green Arrow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAEJ7tmX6rY

Yes, it was posted on page 27 of this thread, but it's always fun to watch again.

That Vulture recap of the "Left Behind" episode was spot-on in a lot of respects, as well as fun to read.  The writer, Jenny Raftery, expresses a lot of my thoughts and feelings.  I'm surprised, though, that she didn't comment on the "I'm the justice you can't run from" line - maybe her DVR cut out at a crucial moment.

Edited by tv echo

Arrow Review: “Left Behind” (Episode 3.10)
By Mark Rozeman  January 22, 2015  |  2:03pm
http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/01/arrow-review-left-behind.html

No surprise—the big star of this episode is Emily Bett Rickards, who beautifully captures the various stages of grief, from the shaky denial in the beginning to the crushing depression that emerges after Malcolm Merlyn arrives with Ra’s sword, which is coated in Oliver’s blood. Her acceptance of Oliver’s death leads to her snapping at Ray Palmer for his attempt at honoring his fiancée’s death by becoming a superhero. ...
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

If the trend going forward is pro critics and recappers setting their phasers to mockity mock mock re: Laurel, it might actually offset my dread by a mile. Because I totally get my instant gratification from pro critics agreeing with me and I'm not afraid to admit it.

• Love 12