Type keyword(s) to search

Jimmy Kimmel Live - General Discussion

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, WarnerCL45 said:

Marty Short isn't as funny as he thinks he is.

I can't stand that Jiminy Glick character he came up with years ago. I was indifferent when it came to him before that.

• Love 3

I have to admit, I had NO idea who the singer is who pulled the bedroom prank on Jimmy last night. I'm way out of the demo, but I usually have at least heard the names of popular singers the 'kids' of today like, even if I haven't heard their music. But not this one. With a name like Dua Lipa, I doubt if I had heard it, I would forget it ! And then on Nightline, the trivia at the start of the show was about Youtube views, she had something like 200 million views, which wasn't the highest but it sounds impressive to me.

• Love 1

Trigger warning for a wholly negative post -- I can't stand Yaya!

He's an obnoxious celebrity stalker and has never been funny. Not once. I get that Jimmy genuinely likes these weirdo types but the segments can come off as making fun of his language skills and general lack of knowledge/stupidity.

I fast-forward his appearances but can't help regretting the amount of time the show wastes on him.

• Love 4

I wasn't aware that Jimmy is thinking of leaving late night when his contract expires. I'd miss him but would also be curious to see a different type of show or host in his place.

Here's the relevant part of a Hollywood Reporter interview with Karey Burke, head of entertainment at ABC:

Jimmy Kimmel is in the last year of his contract and has teased retirement. How much of a priority is it to you to keep him?

It's a top priority. We are actively in conversations with Jimmy and his team about staying on for as long as he wants to. We've made it clear that he is a critical member of the family and we want him on our air as long as he wants to be on it. It's my hope that he'll be around for a few more years.

What's the contingency plan?

Jimmy has pitched a contingency plan that is brilliant. [When and if he should leave] our first hope is to have a contingency plan that he crafts and leads the way on. That's what we're looking at. He pitched it to me over dinner and has discussed it with [ABC head of alternative and late-night] Rob Mills.

How soon do you expect to hear his decision?

Soon because he's got a lot of big ideas and plans and other things he wants to produce with us and we want to get all that going. 

• Useful 2

Geez, I hope Jimmy doesn't leave!!!  He's my favourite ... for some reason I can "take" his skits, etc., much better (& funnier) than Colbert & the other hosts & I love how he laughs with his whole body!!!  I like that he enjoys sports & has the various players on from time to time.

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, not much action here on this show.  I came here because I was really pissed that jimmy revealed that Arya was the one to kill the wight king.

and now I see that he is thinking of retiring.  I can understand, he has an ill infant that probably has surgeries ahead (so says an RN friend of mine).

and I bet he is sick of being a shill for ABC/Disney, having to spend most of his time promoting their shit shows (dwts, bachelor etc) and having casts from their tsunami of movies.  I barely watch with all the ff  I have to do.  And to avoid all his very unfunny family on the payroll.  And yaya is the worst.  Who cares what he thinks about movies?  Who can even understand him?

i could go on but if he is leaving, no point.  He seems like a nice man but too much frat boy humor and activity.

Edited by Lifesabeach

Last night, I finally figured out why I've never "warmed up" to Jennifer Aniston (sp?) ... she CONSTANTLY adjusts her hair!!!  Hairspray, bobby pin & fancy clip ... anything but the tic-like clawing at her hair.  Just sayin'.

• Love 1
(edited)

Uucckk.........what a no talent POS jaden Smith is.  Would he get even one minute of attention without having a famous father?  I think not.  I was watching the 1950s version of Day the earth stood still on TCM the other night and I was thinking how I really wanted to like the Keanu Reeves version but can’t get through it because of the enormous taint js wipes all over it.  🤮

Edited by Lifesabeach
Listed wrong movie
  • Love 1

What the f*** was up with Jimmy Kimmel disrespecting and embarrassing Joaquin Phoenix? I was very uncomfortable watching that. Was that really a surprise? I thought the guests were briefed and knew exactly what was going to be talked about and shown. If it was not a publicity stunt than I have lost all respect for Kimmel.

38 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

What the f*** was up with Jimmy Kimmel disrespecting and embarrassing Joaquin Phoenix? I was very uncomfortable watching that. Was that really a surprise? I thought the guests were briefed and knew exactly what was going to be talked about and shown. If it was not a publicity stunt than I have lost all respect for Kimmel.

Joaquin was in on it (a la his famous “meltdown” on Letterman)

https://ew.com/movies/2019/10/02/joker-joaquin-phoenix-outtake-jimmy-kimmel/

7 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Anyone watching Mayor Pete host the show??  He's doing great!!!

He wasn’t bad. I wonder what it would’ve been like if there had been a regular audience?

Was this supposed to create buzz for a VP position for Mayor Pete?

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I love mayor Pete so I really liked the show. It would have been much better with an audience, but still he seems like a natural in front of the camera.  I kept waiting for him to mess up and accidentally shake someone’s hand. Pete for VP 2020!

• Love 5

While I really appreciate the late night hosts who continue to put out content for us during such a stressful time, I really thought Jimmy looked completely demoralized.  

• Useful 1
55 minutes ago, Fable said:

While I really appreciate the late night hosts who continue to put out content for us during such a stressful time, I really thought Jimmy looked completely demoralized.  

I thought he’d had a little cannabis 

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Fable said:

I thought Jimmy was on hiatus (along with a slew of other hosts).

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

I thought Jimmy was on hiatus (along with a slew of other hosts).

So far Colbert is doing shows comprised of half new material/half repeats, airing on CBS. The two Jimmies are doing new internet only mini shows (at least I think they’re internet only. Could be wrong on that)

Edited by opus
  • Useful 1

Probably that's just what Jimmy looks like at home without hair and makeup!

Starting Monday, Conan will be doing his entire show remotely via cell phone, including guests calling in. It will air in its regular time spot on TBS with commercials.

I hope Jimmy and Seth follow his lead, just because they're the two shows I watch and both hosts are good at riffing off the cuff. Cell phone footage will be pretty low tech, but it's not like talk shows need pristine high def.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, 2727 said:

Starting Monday, Conan will be doing his entire show remotely via cell phone, including guests calling in. It will air in its regular time spot on TBS with commercials

According to a tweet posted on the Conan board, it starts Mar. 30, not this Monday.

• Love 1

Jimmy's mini internet shows are a little something to look forward to every night. I hope he can keep them up as long as possible. I'm not surprised he's not looking super great, he's got to be terrified given Billy's heart.

• Love 3
On 3/12/2020 at 11:10 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I couldn't find this Kimmel thread after the Mayor Pete episode. I wanted to post how much I enjoyed it, I LOL several times. I though he was so very good, and I didn't miss the audience since the crew supplied enough laughter and feedback. When one of his jokes sort of tanked, I like how he ad libbed, "They write all these jokes for me."

I also got a big kick out of his fangirling Patrick Stewart, and Sir Patrick fangirling back at Pete. The Star Trek contest hosted by Levar Burton was all kinds of fun too. I actually guessed "neither" about Geordie's underwear choice. Yes, I'm a big ST fan.

I haven't seen any Kimmels since it's been switched here to after Dateline. I'm glad Mayor Pete got his episode in before most shows stopped. I do miss Jimmy's monologues, they were my nightly treat.

• Love 2

For tuesdays show @8:58ish in the the clip my local affiliate cut in a 10 second commercial, it was so weird. So right when Jimmy says something about trump loving charts, he loves this one - commercial for an app with local restaurants plays then it goes right back to the monologue. I was so confused, trump likes out local restaurants?? what???

• Love 1

I just saw my tivo'd episode with Jennifer Aniston and I really loved it. One thing that this shelter-in-place thing has done is to let us see people/celebrities when they don't have to promote anything. Just being themselves. If I'd thought of it, I would have known that of COURSE Jennifer Aniston has friends that she has jokes with, and she sometimes orders the wrong thing on Amazon, and she'd be gracious and appreciative to a nurse fighting on the front lines of COVID-19. But this is the first time I actually got to SEE it. 

• Love 5

Had to watch the LV mayor interview with Anderson Cooper twice because the first time I was mesmerized by what was going on with the mayors chin and barely heard a word.   It was Iike it was having a seizure or something.  It was one of the strangest things I’ve seen.  My guess, too many plastic procedures and there has been nerve damage.  Plus she is fucking nuts!!  

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

@jimmykimmel   is a funny guy these days.   I really enjoy his stand up monologues from his breakfast nook area of his home.

The whole feel of the show is genuine.  The opening with his kids reminds me of the old Bonnie Hunt Show opening.  A refreshing take on the Stay-at-Home remotes being aired daily.

• Love 6

I think Jimmy is a genuine, upbeat, outgoing person as a rule. He's doing well at home even though it's evident he'd rather be back in the studio. Technically speaking, his video and audio are pretty good.

I saw a British comedy/current events show called The Ranganation that was extremely well done from home. The studio was set up in the host's garage with professional graphics and sound, and with remote camera operators and a director. The panelists and guests were on nice large monitors.

I enjoy Seth but he's the worst technically as far as just sitting directly in front of a fixed (cell phone?) camera, plus bad acoustics.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I think he's been doing a great job, actually. For the first time, I think he's the one whose monologues I've been enjoying the most during this situation. You can tell he's authentic. I like that.

• Love 5