Type keyword(s) to search

Jimmy Kimmel Live - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Here's some great news about JKL and the show's new executive producer Sharon Hoffman

Sharon Hoffman brings a background in news and entertainment, a mix that's said to have been particularly appealing to Kimmel.

Change is coming to Jimmy Kimmel Live!

The show's longtime executive producer Jill Leiderman is stepping down, with veteran producer Sharon Hoffman set to succeed her. Though a shake-up has been in the works for the better part of a year, change doesn't come easily to Kimmel or his ABC show. Unlike The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, which has gone through a series of showrunners in recent years, Kimmel's nightly entry has been run by Leiderman for the past 14 years. Her successor brings to the show a background more firmly rooted in news, which was said to be desirable as late night — and Kimmel, in particular — becomes increasingly political.

Once best known as the former host of The Man Show, Kimmel has successfully used his late night platform to push causes that he's passionate about in recent years. After his son, Billy, was born with a rare congenital heart defect, for instance, he began using his nightly show as a stage to speak ardently about the need for universal health care coverage. The tonal shift, which has thrust Kimmel into Twitter feuds as recently as last week with President Donald Trump, has only made the host more relevant. Rival Stephen Colbert regularly upstages Jimmy Fallon in viewership for the same reason.

In her new position, Hoffman will share an executive producer title with Kimmel, as Leiderman did. Most recently, Hoffman served as the executive producer for Entertainment Tonight, and before that as an EP of the weekend edition of CBS Evening News. Prior to that, she served as part of the team that relaunched CBS This Morning, under Late Show With Stephen Colbert showrunner Chris Licht, and as a producer at Good Morning America. In that time, Hoffman has moved fluidly between news and entertainment, as late night does, gaining experience in live, video and digital production along the way.

Leiderman, who came from a late night background having done stints with Jon Stewart and David Letterman, has been a key piece of a tight-knit family at JKL, which also regularly works on offshoots and specials including the Oscars. While Leiderman is leaving late night after a quarter century, Kimmel announced at this time last year that he'd be re-upping with ABC for three more years. The move keeps him at the show through 2022, and a landmark 20th season. At that time, ABC Entertainment president Karey Burke told The Hollywood Reporter that retaining Kimmel had been a "top priority." 

"For 25 years, I have devoted my career to late night, producing for three of the greats: Jon Stewart, David Letterman and Jimmy Kimmel. Jimmy changed my life indelibly. I am tremendously proud of the stellar team we have built together over the past 14 years producing close to 2,500 original Jimmy Kimmel Live episodes and specials," Leiderman said in a statement, adding: "A year ago, Jimmy and I began to plan this transition so I could pursue other opportunities on my creative wish list while spending more time with my husband and 4-year-old son. My professional partnership with Jimmy will only be outdone by our friendship."

Kimmel was similarly effusive in his statement, noting: "I could not be more thankful for what Jill has done for our show and could not have asked for a better partner over the past 14 years. Her contributions to the growth of JKL are immeasurable, including finding her worthy successor Sharon Hoffman. We were very lucky to have Jill as long as we did and, while I am sad to see her go, I understand. I am sick of me, too."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I find myself watching Kimmel more than Colbert now. 

I could never stomach the type of humiliating  humor Kimmel's show would devolve into --like making fun of people, but I've been appreciating his pandemic airings.  So I guess the nice guy is the real Jimmy Kimmel and the other was just scripted for him? But he would have a say in it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have thought for awhile now that Jimmy Kimmel never looked happy or as comfortable as the other late night show hosts doing his show from home.  He never seemed to embrace the weirdness of it like the others have and now there's the announcement that he's taking the summer off. He said that everyone's healthy and he just needs time off after 3000 shows but I truly hope we won't get a divorce announcement or something like that.

• LOL 1

Jimmy seems like a sensitive soul. He's teared up several times, including a guest spot on the radio show I listened to in Los Angeles, where he used to work. He may be feeling stressed during this time and he needs a break. I get it.

• Love 10

The show has long been the lowest rated of the three and Twitter has resurfaced devastatingly racist Kimmel in blackface and sexual assault segments from the Man Show. Jimmy probably had enough being dragged through the mud. He’s going to fade away and spend his life counting his money. In today’s Me Too and Black Lives Matter culture, there’s no room for Jimmy Kimmel. He said he wants to spend more time with family, but he’s been at home 24 hours a day for months. His show was killed off by low ratings and political correctness. He tried to he a politically correct hero, but his dirty past caught up with him.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, anniebird said:

but I truly hope we won't get a divorce announcement or something like that.

I don't think they would have done that bit with Matt Damon last night if there were serious marital problems.

• Love 4

In JK's defense, here is his reply to the blackface accusations

On KROQ radio in the mid-90s, I did a recurring impression of the NBA player Karl Malone. In the late 90s, I continued impersonating Malone on TV. We hired makeup artists to make me look as much like Karl Malone as possible. I never considered that this might be seen as anything other than an imitation of a fellow human being, one that had no more to do with Karl’s skin color than it did his bulging muscles and bald head. I’ve done dozens of impressions of famous people, including Snoop Dogg, Oprah, Eminem, Dick Vitale, Rosie, and many others. In each case, I thought of them as impersonations of celebrities and nothing more. Looking back, many of these sketches are embarrassing, and it is frustrating that these thoughtless moments have become a weapon used by some to diminish my criticisms of social and other injustices,” he added.

“I believe that I have evolved and matured over the last twenty-plus years, and I hope that is evident to anyone who watches my show. I know that this will not be the last I hear of this and that it will be used again to try to quiet me.  I love this country too much to allow that. I won’t be bullied into silence by those who feign outrage to advance their oppressive and genuinely racist agendas.

This comes after Kimmel announced that he was taking the summer off to “spend even more time” with his family. The late-night host said that his break had nothing to do with the increased online chatter about his past comedy work.sec_51936679-7193.thumb.jpg.33d384fee46c411e3860f92bcd9909b5.jpg

• Love 3

I remember watching the Man Show and seeing Jimmy doing blackface. It had an edgy, transgressive vibe even back then -- Jimmy knew it was offensive. The humor was in the shock of breaking a taboo. He was inspired in this by Howard Stern, who also donned blackface, and also, like Jimmy, dropped the n-word " ironically ".

It was the era of the "shock jock". It's not a case of Jimmy "evolving and maturing", imo, but of changing cultural fashions. When being sexist and racially transgressive in a self-conscious way was cool, Jimmy was those things on TV. When cultural attitudes changed, so did Jimmy.

No enduring principles, just going along with the zeitgeist.

• Useful 3

Oh man am I getting old.  No, I am old.  Who was the woman hosting last night?  She talked so fast she actually made me dizzy.  Having a TBI does contribute to that.  😤

it does seem strange that Jimmy will be off for so long.  Hope all is well with his family.  

• LOL 1

I haven't  been able to watch Kimmel for a while since my antenna dropped ABC for a few months. Got it back last week, so got to see monologues by Whitney Cummings and Sebastian Maniscalco. I knew of Whitney but was not familiar with Sebastian, but both were so good and both made me LOL several times. I love Joel McHale so was looking forward to seeing him last night. Man, what a disappointment. There was not one thing funny about or in his monologue. He totally and unexpectedly stunk. How disappointing was that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Sarah Cooper was the guest host Monday(?) night. 
I already adore her TikTok lipsyncs, but still, objectively, I thought she knocked her guest host debut out of the park. 
I remember cringing at the Jimmys' and Colbert's first few weeks of doing their shows, but Sarah had it down within a few minutes IMO.
Okay. I will stop fangirling and let anyone who follows this thread decide for themselves.

Here's her monologue --and ya gotta admit, even when she's a little green at it, she looks fabulous:

And here's Sarah interviewing Ben Stiller --I think she comes across as warm and generous:

Edited by shapeshifter
Spelling “TikTok” as “TicTok” just makes me sound old
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Sarah Cooper was the guest host Monday(?) night. 
I already adore her TicTok lipsyncs, but still, objectively, I thought she knocked her guest host debut out of the park. 
I remember cringing at the Jimmys' and Colbert's first few weeks of doing their shows, but Sarah had it down within a few minutes IMO.
Okay. I will stop fangirling and let anyone who follows this thread decide for themselves.

Here's her monologue --and ya gotta admit, even when she's a little green at it, she looks fabulous:

And here's Sarah interviewing Ben Stiller --I think she comes across as warm and generous:

ITA, Sarah Cooper is a gem!  And I just read that she is going to have a NetFlix Special in the Fall: Yay!

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

I just happened upon the YouTube video of Dua Lipa guest hosting Kimmel (August 4?) and it was better than a lot of what we've been seeing from at-home late-night regulars. 
They may have edited the heck out of it, but her interviews with "elderly" folks were entertaining, charming, and left me smiling --unlike a lot of Kimmel people-on-the-street interviews that are often borderline offensive (to me) and rarely amusing (to me). I have to agree with the lady with the 80-something lady with the pink hair that Sinatra is way better than Dua Lipa, but I still love her here:

• Love 1

Hello David Spade!  So good to see you.  Really miss your show, your wit and snark. ! Hope your show is returning soon and having just watched Rob Schneider on Netflix I was familiar with his daughter.  Enjoyed her performance and outfit!  glad you get another night. 

Edited by Lifesabeach
2 hours ago, Lifesabeach said:

Hello David Spade!  So good to see you.  Really miss your show, your wit and snark. ! Hope your show is returning soon and having just watched Rob Schneider on HBO I was familiar with his daughter.  Enjoyed her performance and outfit!  glad you get another night. 

On 9/23/2020 at 5:44 PM, ruby24 said:

Boy, Jimmy sure sounds like he's got a big crew there in the studio with him. Bet the other hosts are jealous of all that noise.

Started to watch the show with Goldie Hawn last night because I used to enjoy her.  Gosh, she doesn't even look like her with all the work she's had done.  They started some conversation about Kurt buying an RV and it seemed to go on forever so I stopped watching. Why cares about that?!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, cinsays said:

Started to watch the show with Goldie Hawn last night because I used to enjoy her.  Gosh, she doesn't even look like her with all the work she's had done.  They started some conversation about Kurt buying an RV and it seemed to go on forever so I stopped watching. Why cares about that?!

Same here!  I couldn't help staring at her mouth which seemed to be crooked, but she seems to have a deep well of appreciation for herself ... LOL.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Jimmy's monologues are pretty funny most times.  I like that his crew is his "studio audience"  Most times I don't stick around for the guests because they are mostly B list or worse.  He tries, more than I can saw for the other late night hosts.

https___cdn.cnn.com_cnnnext_dam_assets_181015105427-jimmy-kimmel.jpg

• Love 1

Enjoyed the interview  with President Obama.  Laughed when Jimmy said to him: "WHY did you leave us with him?"  Like Jimmy was a little kid left with an abusive step Dad.  

• Like 1
  • Love 4

While I do like Jimmy, in the last year I usually prefer Colbert. But I'm catching up on the recent shows, and am watching Kimmel's interview with Obama immediately after watching Colbert's interview with Obama. It's kind of amazing that, though Colbert was in the same room with Obama while Kimmel's interview with him was via Zoom (or similar), Obama is way more comfortable and natural with Kimmel. I think that speaks to Kimmel's skill as an interviewer.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, dvr devotee said:

While I do like Jimmy, in the last year I usually prefer Colbert. But I'm catching up on the recent shows, and am watching Kimmel's interview with Obama immediately after watching Colbert's interview with Obama. It's kind of amazing that, though Colbert was in the same room with Obama while Kimmel's interview with him was via Zoom (or similar), Obama is way more comfortable and natural with Kimmel. I think that speaks to Kimmel's skill as an interviewer.

Couldn't agree more!!!

• Love 1

Where’d everyone go?  Is there another forum for this show.?

i have to comment on the montage last night with Fox News dopes talking about our current prez and then having an example by the previous  one.  Hysterical!!

But the cherry on top was the female  with the knife in Walmart getting tased.  Watched it twice, lol both times.  😆

• Love 2
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Kimmel caught Covid. Again. 

Colbert just had a second round as well.

Someone needs to check Fallon for a voodoo doll....

Heh.
But was Kimmel's "again" right away like with Colbert?
If so, that is a bug/feature of being treated with Paxlovid.

Kimmel was new last night and even though the day was filled with criticism for his bit at the Emmys and disrespecting Quinta Brunson, he did not mention it ONCE.  She's supposed to be on the show tonight so maybe he's saving it, but still, you would have thought he'd address it right away.