Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

Exactly- if they claim 80 loads a week then with 22 people in the house, that is 3.63 loads per week per person.  I find that excessive.  Do they not ever reuse a bath towel - or let me guess- they have disposable ones as well?

I would love to see another one of the shows where J'Chelle answers viewers questions - and let her field the question of disposable dinnerware that ends up the nearest landfill.  Actually, we should figure out a good estimate of how many paper plates, cups, etc this family  (not to mention all the families they entertain) goes through in a year.  I have a feeling it would be horrifying.  

Somehow I don't see a lot of bathing going on in this family - they may hang onto the old 'Saturday night bath' routine - so that makes the number of laundry loads even more improbable.  They don't use kitchen towels, dishcloths, table linens and I haven't seen anyone changing bed linens either. I barely see pillows on the children's beds.  80 loads of laundry a week ??  How? 

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

Do they ask the applicants exactly what religion they follow? I went to only heathen universities so am unfamiliar such a screening process.

I worked in admissions and financial aid at a large Northeastern university for over 25 years and it is illegal to ask one's religion on a college application.  Of course, I believe this is only pertinent for schools that want to participate in Federal student aid programs.  If Patrick Henry doesn't, they MAY be permitted to ask that question.  And others.

This is my biggest issue too. I don't understand how they don't treasure or care about them. Even seeing all of Michelle ignoring and not caring I still don't understand how a mother could be that way. How she could care for a child for six months and just hand him or her off. How can you not want to be there for the rest of the

Iir lives? How can you live in the house with four little girls and not want to go and play with them? How can you live in the house with so many young boys and not want to be out their playing with them or being excited at your daughter's engagement,excited about helping to plan her wedding, and another daughter about to be engaged? How can you look at your grandchildren and simply not care? I know she doesn't but I still can't understand it. 

IMO, Michelle's bizarre behavior and attitudes can be explained in two words - PERSONALITY DISORDER.

The fact that Derick bought Jill a good pair of walking sandals made my opinion of him go up. It looked like he saw a problem and was able to address it in a non-judgemental way. He doesn't seem to follow the Boob's buy used and save the difference style.

• Love 3

They looked like the same sandals from the Instagram picture Jill posted of the matching sandals she and Derick wore on Fourth of July. I can't remember the name but it starts with a C. Chico's or something.

Religious institutions have a lot of leeway. I checked a couple of church affiliated colleges I'm most familiar with personally and they all still require information that includes such questions as: church affiliation, pastor recommendation and statement of faith in their application process. I know these institution DO accept federal aid and things like Pell grants (unlike schools such as Patrick Henry, Grove City College and Hillsdale) and while they may not ask explicitly "what is your religion" it is abundantly clear.

• Love 1

They looked like the same sandals from the Instagram picture Jill posted of the matching sandals she and Derick wore on Fourth of July. I can't remember the name but it starts with a C. Chico's or something.

Chacos... They are nice. I worked at a summer camp for several years and they are a great investment. They work for hiking, walking in the river... In a lot of cases more supportive/and sturdier than tennis shoes.

• Love 2

I think parents now play with their kids, but just a generation ago (I'm 51) it wasn't like that. Not once did either of my parents get on the floor & play with us. That's what my siblings were for. We would go out & play & not come home till dark. I can't believe I'm defending the Duggars, because i don't believe in children RAISING their siblings, but as far as parents playing with kids, it's only the present generation that is so kid-centric.

It's the same with grand kids. Both sets of grandparents say hi to our kids but that's about it. I really think it's generational- although Muchelle is acting like my parent's generation & she's my age.

• Love 5

My parents did play with us (I'm 44) but that isn't an excuse for Michelle. She's roughly the same age I am and nearly every parent my age I know is pretty involved with her children. And Kelly Bates seems to be with hers (could be wrong, of course) so I don't think it's a numbers issue.

• Love 1

I'm 46 and my parents played with me and my brother a lot. Maybe it was cause they were older when they had kids but they paid a lot of attention to us. My mom also wanted more than 2 kids but had trouble having babies so that may have something to do with it.

• Love 1

I think parents now play with their kids, but just a generation ago (I'm 51) it wasn't like that. Not once did either of my parents get on the floor & play with us. 

Mine didn't either and honestly, if I had kids I'd probably be the same way. That's what their friends and siblings are for.

• Love 1

Things that really bug me about them:

The little girls; Jenny, Hani, etc. (sorry can't remember all the names) look like their hair is never brushed...while the little boys, look pretty well groomed.  What is the deal there?  And yes, agreeing with a poster up thread, none of them look like they bath everyday. I don't know why I get that impression, but they look smelly. 

Could J'chelle at least get a new jean skirt from this decade and maybe some new modest tops...Jeesh...frugality is one thing, but come on...you can spend an hour on your big 80's do, but can't spend $60 on a new skirt?  Good gravy lady, you are supposed to be a role model...your kids will probably need to have some sort of real world jobs someday.  You can still be modest with some style!

• Love 1

My parents (who are both 58 now) rarely played with me, and I was an only child with few friends. The only time my adult relatives (parents, aunts, grandparents, etc) would play with me is if I insisted on playing a boardgame. But that was pretty much it. I was on my own for entertainment besides that. I remember a lot of days listening to Depeche Mode on cassette and playing with my Barbies. I was so goth, before goth was even a thing. Hahahaha.

• Love 3

I saw an episode today that was a Q&A with the Duggars. They were asked why they don't dance. Jim Bob answered "yadda yadda yadda...because sex" He basically said that when people dance, they become excited (sexually), especially boys, when they see girls dancing and shaking their bodies. Which is a bummer because there is no way to relieve that lusty desire. (side note: it's called masturbation, jackass).

I've never seen people so concerned with:

• sex
  • thinking about sex
  • potential sex
  • being induced to think sexual thoughts

And yet, every god damn chance he gets, he is kissing or groping Michelle IN FRONT OF HIS CHILDREN--you know, the ones he's trying so hard to protect from sexual desire (which, newsflash--is TOTALLY NORMAL FOR HUMANS). Why is this ok? Why can't married people dance? One would assume that if a couple is married and dancing, if they develop sexual desire as a result of dancing, they have a way to relieve that desire in a way that is "pure" and acceptable, right?

These people spend SO much time thinking about sex that it's actually funny because they do everything short of a chastity belt to prevent it!  They are obsessed with it! If they just acted like normal humans and accepted that all of this stuff is part of human nature and just went about their lives, they'd be so much happier than trying to fight it all the time.  It must be exhausting to think about sex so much! :P I'm not even saying that they should run out and have sex with whomever--you can still be conservative about your sex life without obsessing so much about it

Sorry, I just had to rant on that. I was pretty creeped out by his response.

• Love 18

What a perfect post, Lottiedottie!

The side hug thing is so awkward & weird. Are you really going to get turned on by your own kid? Cause that's sick.

And the engagement of Derick & Jill- how unnatural not to kiss when you get the ring. One chaste kiss would lead to having sex right there on the square? I don't think so.

And JB acting like a big ole' horndog. Do as I say, not as I do.

• Love 2

My parents (who are both 58 now) rarely played with me, and I was an only child with few friends. The only time my adult relatives (parents, aunts, grandparents, etc) would play with me is if I insisted on playing a boardgame. But that was pretty much it. I was on my own for entertainment besides that. I remember a lot of days listening to Depeche Mode on cassette and playing with my Barbies. I was so goth, before goth was even a thing. Hahahaha.

When did goth become a thing? We were goth in college in the mid-80's, Waxworks was big in Chicago, lol. The guys down the street called us the "black shirts."

• Love 1

I've never understood why the fundies are against dancing (or even equate it with sex). Admittedly I've only read the bible once, and that was when I was nine and stuck in a hotel with no other reading material, but I'm sure I remember there being a passage where someone was savaged by dogs, but her feet were spared by God because she'd danced with joy. So you'd think dancing would be considered a good thing.

• Love 2

I've never understood why the fundies are against dancing (or even equate it with sex). Admittedly I've only read the bible once, and that was when I was nine and stuck in a hotel with no other reading material, but I'm sure I remember there being a passage where someone was savaged by dogs, but her feet were spared by God because she'd danced with joy. So you'd think dancing would be considered a good thing.

Obviously the Duggars aren't familiar with Footloose and Ariel's thoughtfully highlighted bible that helped make their case or allowing a dance. Which would mean that the Duggars probably haven't read the bible!

• Love 4

I'll tell you why the Duggars "outlaw dancing"..... because daddy Jim Bob isn't good at it and can't dance to save his life. Otherwise, you know he would be showing off in front of his kids how well he dances...He's be grabbing Michelle all the time like with the nauseating kisses. Plain and simple in my mind. There is nothing sinful for at least a married couple to "ballroom dance" at weddings, and other celebrations in which music is quite appropriate. In fact, it's beautiful to watch.

When one of the kids ( one of the middle boys) was asked about types of music and dancing and why it wasn't allowed, he said "because it draws you in". I truly don't think that kid had any idea what that meant because he simply recited the canned prepared answer his parents gave him all his life. He could not explain what that meant if asked to. We also can see that naturally some of those kids "move to music they overhear" when out in the world and are discouraged to not do so. It's so painfully clear to me that this "energy" Michelle keeps referring to is part of this non-expressive movement rule. Yet, they are allowed to walk all over countertops, tables, and upholstered furniture and jump off the couch, run all around the house, dragging items along that tile floor, and sliding across the floor on their knees wearing out those long pants they are constantly made to wear.

• Love 6

So what is the Duggar's response to Miriam, King David, people in the Bible who danced as part of worship? I don't think there was anything sexual about those dances. Now Salome dancing for John the Baptist's head probably was very risque, but there's a total difference in sexually provocative dance and liturgical dance.

Just like there's a total difference in Erin Bates' piano music or the violin screeching and some sort of Ray Charles juke jive piano.

It gets on my nerves that everything is one extreme or the other with these folks.

• Love 3

I worked in admissions and financial aid at a large Northeastern university for over 25 years and it is illegal to ask one's religion on a college application.  Of course, I believe this is only pertinent for schools that want to participate in Federal student aid programs.  If Patrick Henry doesn't, they MAY be permitted to ask that question.  And others.

Patrick Henry is very vocal (to the 5 whole people outside of the area who know it exists) that they do not accept any government aid, and I think their Mission Statement or whatever it is called does state that they don't discriminate on race, ethnicity, nation of origin, etc., but they do discriminate based on religion, or something to those effects.

That's because the fundies turn everything in the Bible into whatever they want it to mean.  Also, I believe it was David that danced before the lord- correct me if I'm wrong.  And the wine thing is just pathetic- saying it wasn't wine- it was grape juice.  Please!  I'll bet Jesus knew how to party.  I really hate that the fundies and many other Christian groups think they can pick and choose what they want to believe.  Either believe it all - straight out the way it say it or don't believe and do any.  Amy Duggar had a picture of a glass of wine on her Instagram and the poor thing felt it necessary to say that she only had one glass.  And people still gave her crap about it.  I hope she had the whole damn bottle with a family like the Duggars. 

And the engagement of Derick & Jill- how unnatural not to kiss when you get the ring. One chaste kiss would lead to having sex right there on the square? I don't think so.

I think that is the most unnatural thing in the world- to accept a proposal and not share a long kiss and big tight front freaking hug!  

• Love 3

Fundamentalism is post-biblical. As I said either here or in another post, a lot of fundamentalist, especially Gothard followers, don't actually read the Bible, but allow it to be read to them. Dancing is like alcohol. There is no way Jesus made the water into grape juice or that Paul said take a little grape juice for the stomach, but pulled out of context these verses don't seem so odd if you ignore the entire Bible for the most part.

It seems to me that every subdivision of Christianity has their own interpretation of the Bible. I never really read it, and have never been a religious person at all....but it seems to me that anyone can take any passage or verse from the Bible and tell you it means anything they want. It's more about who believes you, not what the book says. That's how all these wacked out preachers get away with being so crazy....people believe the shit they say. How else could you explain 20+ variations of the same basic religion, all getting their info from the same book?

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 12

Also, think of how many translations there are, and each of them had a reason for being and some political (small p NOT politics as in Democratic/Republican) application. Two quick examples - The King James Version took any reference to women doing anything nefarious and made them either prostitutes or witches because those were both crimes at that time. The Scofield Bible includes not only a specific translation but also footnotes tying in one passage to another to "prove" an idea of dispensationalism.

And Jim Bob's comments in England proved he knows (or perhaps cares) little about the complexities of the Bible. He only uses it to "prove" he's right. Of course, that's how he's been taught to use it, and critical thinking doesn't come naturally to most people and most fundamentalists are taught that it's the road to hell, as it encourages you to ask questions.

• Love 4

Another thing I hate is the fact that they buy used shoes for the kids.  I can understand the used clothes, but shoes are (IMO) not something to be buying used - especially for children learning to walk.  After shoes are worn for a while, they have pretty much molded and been broken in to the original persons foot.  

Not to mention, I find it gross.  You can't wash most shoes before you wear them.  

You can actually find brand new shoes at thrift stores. Since babies grow so quickly, it's not rare for a child to outgrow a new outfit or a pair of shoes before they've even gotten the opportunity to wear them. I went to Goodwill recently and found many 'brand new with tags' baby items, including baby shoes. Also, you can't wash shoes, but you can sanitize them. I always sanitize new shoes by either wiping them down with Clorox sanitizing wipes or by using the sanitizing spray on the inside and out.

With so many children, I get turning to thrift stores for items, but I wonder how they worked it out when Jill left with the community closet. Since we are being led to believe everyone shares clothes, how did Jill get to decide what she wanted, I wonder.

Edited by trimthatfat

Here;s where the hypocrisy with the Bible comes in.   You can't say it is literally true.   That God did make the Earth in 7 24 hour days.   Then turn around and say "ya know that part about changing water into wine -- yeah that was really grape juice."   Either you believe it is literally true or you believe it is all metaphor/allegory, etc.  You can't have it both ways.

• Love 11

Watching the throwback Duggar episodes on DVR right when they found out they were expecting "The Miracle Child" Josie. Jim Bob and Michelle go to Weight Watchers because in this episode he's on a diet. Jane goes with them because apparently she's been going to WW meetings for years. I have nothing against WW, but what did Jana need it for and whose idea was it for her to go in the first place. Some of the girls have round faces, but none of them are even close to overweight. Michelle says it was so she would make healthy choices in her eating, but who knows. While registering for the meetings, Jim Bob has to ask for discounts. I get them being thrifty considering the size of their family and all, but come on, asking for a discount on support group? It was then I realized that I could not stand him.

The Duggars meet Dolly Parton was on before this and I call BS on Jim Bob and Michelle not knowing who she was. They both looked to be "normal" teenagers from all the pictures shown and not secluded like the kids, Dolly was a big deal then and at the very least Jim Bob would have known about her due to her large breasts. I mean even as a kid it was a well known joke among boys and this was in the 80's when JB and Michelle were younger. Michelle so cluelessly asks the camera if Dolly was on HeHaw. I guess she never made a guest star on Andy Griffith's show.

Ah now they're shopping for a wedding dress for Michelle and although they're not judging people, Anna is asked how "modest" the dress behind her is. Cut to some poor girl who looks beautiful in a strapless gown and Anna is acting like the girl is half naked. They're not judging you know

Edited by GrapeEarth
  • Love 3

Watching the throwback Duggar episodes on DVR right when they found out they were expecting "The Miracle Child" Josie. Jim Bob and Michelle go to Weight Watchers because in this episode he's on a diet. Jane goes with them because apparently she's been going to WW meetings for years. I have nothing against WW, but what did Jana need it for and whose idea was it for her to go in the first place. Some of the girls have round faces, but none of them are even close to overweight. Michelle says it was so she would make healthy choices in her eating, but who knows. While registering for the meetings, Jim Bob has to ask for discounts. I get them being thrifty considering the size of their family and all, but come on, asking for a discount on support group? It was then I realized that I could not stand him.

The Duggars meet Dolly Parton was on before this and I call BS on Jim Bob and Michelle not knowing who she was. They both looked to be "normal" teenagers from all the pictures shown and not secluded like the kids, Dolly was a big deal then and at the very least Jim Bob would have known about her due to her large breasts. I mean even as a kid it was a well known joke among boys and this was in the 80's when JB and Michelle were younger. Michelle so cluelessly asks the camera if Dolly was on HeHaw. I guess she never made a guest star on Andy Griffith's show.

Ah now they're shopping for a wedding dress for Michelle and although they're not judging people, Anna is asked how "modest" the dress behind her is. Cut to some poor girl who looks beautiful in a strapless gown and Anna is acting like the girl is half naked. They're not judging you know

Did they actually claim they didn't know who Dolly is? There is no way that is true. I don't believe that for a minute.

Did they actually claim they didn't know who Dolly is? There is no way that is true. I don't believe that for a minute.

Honestly, I think the kids were doing a really bad job at being super vague and saying things like, "uh, we don't know" or "she's a singer?" Some even smirked like they wanted to say she's that older blond woman with big boobs, but were Nike-ing all around it. 

Michelle did indeed give some wide eyed blank blinks, and acted like she didn't know who she was. BS.

• Love 1

I don't know what or who the Duggars know in popular culture, but I grew up in a world not completely unlike theirs. I was eleven when John Lennon was shot, and when I asked my dad who he was he said, "Oh, some singer in a band."

I have nothing against WW, but what did Jana need it for and whose idea was it for her to go in the first place. Some of the girls have round faces, but none of them are even close to overweight.

And what bothers me is that I have a feeling that it wasn't Jana's decision to go to WW-that she was at least encouraged or pressured by JimBoob and MeChelle. It should be her decision if she wants to make healthier eating choices and lose weight. If she was a child, her parents could point her in the right direction and help her food choices, but she's an adult, for goodness sakes.

• Love 1

Hello Everyone! New poster here (but long time follower- the Duggars are like a train wreck- I can't turn away) I was watching Dishing w/Duggars episode where viewers ask them questions. At the beginning there was a woman's voice over explaining things & I didn't recognize it at first. Then I realized it was Michelle's normal voice. I thought it was one of the producers. Of course when she started answering questions, she was back to her baby squeaky voice. Has anyone else noticed her baby voice is getting more high pitched on the new episodes & Dishing w/Duggars commentary? It's like she can barely get the words out. And her hair, it seems to be growing wilder on each episode. Why cant she wear it like it is at the beginning of the shows on the introductions-where it is shorter, straighter with a little curl at the ends? Duggar ladies-please tie your hair back when cooking. It drives me nuts.

• Love 3

My friend's mom lost fifty pounds through WW's. I think it is a good program in terms of teaching you how to eat and control portions. However, I agree with the posters above who think that's not the reason why Jana was made to go. It's not like we've seen the Duggars ever cook anything remotely healthy. I don't remember Jana being super chunky, she maybe had a couple extra pounds of baby chub, but nothing that warranted going to WW's. 

I have noticed that Jill, Jessa and Jinger have dropped weight in recent years, and for me that's significant because they were already pretty small to begin with. Jessa even talked about doing a food challenge with Joy on her Instagram page. Hopefully they don't have poor JoyAnna dieting. She has a completely different body type than her sisters, she isn't meant to be stick thin.

• Love 1

A few of the women on Recovering Grace said that they were personally encouraged by Bill Gothard to attain or maintain a slim figure. Unfortunately, that led them to develop eating disorders. Jana is the Duggar-ette who has spent the most time at Journey of the Heart or whatever it's called. I wouldn't be shocked if her desire to lose weight originated with words from someone else.

• Love 2

Except for cowboy and riding boots, I don't think I've ever had shoes that molded to my feet. Maybe old fashioned baby shoes?

Yes cowboy boots and riding boots definitely mold to your feet - as do old fashioned baby shoes.  But, for me I believe that even a pair of sneakers mold to your feet - as I do with things like mens dress shoes -or maybe that's the incorrect term.  But they definitely stretch to your width and the bottom part after a while takes on the imprint of the bottom of your feet.  I know this because I have borrowed shoes on occasion from friends of the same size and you can definitely tell a difference.  If it is a shoe that is rarely worn, it's one thing but for something that most active young children wear almost daily- as in sneakers and such- and with activity, I think you need your "own" pair of certain types of shoes.  

At the beginning there was a woman's voice over explaining things & I didn't recognize it at first. Then I realized it was Michelle's normal voice. I thought it was one of the producers. Of course when she started answering questions, she was back to her baby squeaky voice. Has anyone else noticed her baby voice is getting more high pitched on the new episodes & Dishing w/Duggars commentary?

I agree.  WTF is up with her voice changes.  Doesn't she know she's already annoying enough.  Maybe she will strain a vocal chord and won't be able to talk at all. 

• Love 2

I mute her or turn it down when she comes on!  Horrible!  Squeaky, raspy and constant giggling like she is a 6 year old, when and how did this happen?!!  I guess she thinks if I say it cutesy wutesy enough they won't care what I say and no one will figure out how dumb I am!!  LOL 

Edited by jodo

Has anyone else noticed her baby voice is getting more high pitched on the new episodes & Dishing w/Duggars commentary? It's like she can barely get the words out.
Soon only dogs will be able to hear her.

We can hope. I almost cannot keep myself from yelling at her when I watch the show. End up having to fast forward for the sake of my blood pressure.

• Love 2

I really despise those horrible things the girls swim in.  They are simply hideous.  I have to vote that as my single most hated item of clothing I've ever seen.  And the boys have to swim in wet suits!  WHY?  You can still see their arms and legs- why not wear a pair of swim trunks instead of a thick wet suit?