Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

... wants Ivanka Trump and Arianna Huffington to be named as new co-hosts of the ABC chat fest...

No Trump, please.

Ivanka is fabulous!  Stop laughing!  She really is great.  I was pleasantly surprised by her appearances on The Celebrity Apprentice.

I love Bill Wolff but I'm not thrilled to see the top seats so testosterone heavy on a women's show. And this Gorman guy's past experience does NOT inspire confidence:

"Gorman is no stranger to television, having directed thousands of hours of live shows in the U.K. and the U.S. specializing in entertainment, food, magazine and music. Some of his many credits including: “Hell’s Kitchen,” “I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here…NOW!,” “The Biggest Loser, “This Morning,” “Sunday Brunch” and “I Wanna Marry ‘Harry’.”"

• Love 3

Yeah, I am suspicious of the "state of the art studio" as well. Whenever CNN does crap like that they just look ridiculous. But for some reason, people really do respond to the social interaction aspect, so that factor is here to stay. Usually I don't give a shit what the co-hosts have to say, so you can imagine how I feel about the average person.

• Love 7

I just hope this new production team means that Alexandra "Dusty" Cohen was canned along with Sweaty Geddie.

Another article:

ABC Confirms ‘View’ EP Bill Geddie Is Out, MSNBC's Bill Wolff In

ETA:  Also, we missed this one from a couple of weeks ago:

Longtime producer Bill Geddie leaves 'The View'

Published Sunday, August 10, 2014 12:08PM EDT

LOS ANGELES -- Change keeps coming to ABC's talk show "The View."

Its longtime executive producer, Bill Geddie, said in a statement Friday that he won't be involved in day-to-day production.

The shift comes as "The View" reshapes its panel of co-hosts for next season. Series creator Barbara Walters has retired from on-camera duties, while Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy won't be returning.

The final new episode with Shepherd and McCarthy airs Monday.

Remaining co-host Whoopi Goldberg will be joined this fall by Rosie O'Donnell, who's back for a second "View" stint. Other co-hosts have yet to be announced.

Geddie says he's "enormously proud" of the show he and Walters created 17 years ago.

ABC had no comment on a replacement for Geddie, who says he plans to help with the transition throughout the upcoming season.

Edited by LuckyBitch

Usually I don't give a shit what the co-hosts have to say, so you can imagine how I feel about the average person.

Morbs, that made me literally LOL.  And I whole-heartedly agree.  It would be one thing if they were going to show articulate thoughtful posts like all of us make here but you just know the View will show the gushy "Oh I love you guys" and "Whoopi you are the best" and blah blah blah. 

• Love 6

The NY Daily News also had an article that said they are very nervous that October has no TV experience. I mean, then how is she even in contention? How did she end up guest hosting? Why wasn't I considered then?

And is October the one they were thinking about because they falsely assumed she was Latina? Because that's just so perfect, based on the show's horrible history with research.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 6

October was not a "make sparks" kind of personality, but I enjoyed her.  She seems very real, humble and unassuming.  Not playing to the camera or the audience. Not too loud or trying to dominate the conversation.  Not too pompous or self-important (Sage).  But they all kind of start out mellow.  Then the curse of The View strikes them and they get the screaming meemies.

• Love 6

(By Scott Whitlock, Newsbusters)

According to speculation by the Daily Mail on Friday, Nicolle Wallace, a liberal Republican who worked on John McCain's 2008 campaign and famously feuded with Sarah Palin, has been selected to fill the "conservative" seat on ABC's The View. The rumor comes a day after the producer of the left-wing Rachel Maddow Show was hired to run the ABC chat show.

Daily Mail writer Topper Toussaint claimed, "Commentator S.E. Cupp was also considered, but clashed with Rosie [O'Donnell]." He added, "'Rosie told her that her approach was just like Elisabeth Hasselbeck, which did not sit well,' according to the show insider." If the reports are true, Wallace will hardly be a conservative counterweight to the very liberal O'Donnell.

• Love 2

Was watching a new The Chew episode that I had recorded (will be making one of the recipies!) and saw a commercial for The View's new season. I noticed that the logo (circle with superimposed black letters for show's name) shown on the commercial did not have agreyish blue circle that was mentioned/referenced in this forum a while back. It was a brighter orange circle. I'm looking forward to checking out the new season when it starts on Sept 15!

• Love 1

Btw, I don't think it's true, either. They are both intelligent, mature women,I think they can work well with each . Someone is just stirring the pot to get some "buzz" imo

I have trouble believing Whoopie thinks Rosie is crass and vulgar. 

• Love 2

I rarely watch The View, and haven't seen it in a long time, but the announcement of the new line up has guaranteed I'll never tune in again.  Rosie O'Donnell and Whoopie are nails on a chalkboard to me.  Adding Rosie Perez to the mix is the equivalent of having an ice pick repeatedly jammed in my ears while still being able to hear the screech of nails on a chalkboard.

• Love 2

Rosie Perez??? Really?? Why on earth would they choose her? Because her last name is Perez, and they needed a Latina? That woman's voice does not deserve to be on TV!  What were these new execs thinking?
Nicole Wallace just seems like such an oddball in this new mix.

• Love 2

I'm trying to decide how I feel. I have respect for Whoopi, but she started to be a turnoff about when I stopped watching altogether a couple of years ago. I used to love Rosie, but then she got pretty intense -- perhaps health related. I know Rosie Perez on sight, but I've never watched her in anything so I have no thoughts about her ideas and how she expresses them. Though I'm a pretty liberal sort, I kind of like Nicole Wallace with the understanding her commentary is purposefully more conservative than I. I have no idea whether I'll like this mix or not. 

• Love 5
That woman's voice does not deserve to be on TV!

I've tried, fl2dc, Sherri's Lord knows I've tried.  I can no longer pay attention to anything Rosie Perez says because I can't stand her voice.  She has played parts where her accent isn't as pronounced and her voice isn't as irritating.  Can they bring in a vocal coach...quickly?  Surely mine is a minority opinion.

• Love 5

I've tried, fl2dc, Sherri's Lord knows I've tried.  I can no longer pay attention to anything Rosie Perez says because I can't stand her voice.  She has played parts where her accent isn't as pronounced and her voice isn't as irritating.  Can they bring in a vocal coach...quickly?  Surely mine is a minority opinion.

Former Nun, I'm right there with you and fl2dc. I haven't been posting lately, but when I heard this news last week it sealed my decision to not even bother watching this season. Until then, I thought I'd finally check it out again after taking three years off. But I just cannot take Rosie Perez's voice for one minute. I think she really was an odd choice. 

Also, from the article linked above:

...Perez had already agreed to star on Broadway in Larry David’s play “Fish in the Dark.” Can she do both jobs from mid January through May or June? She certainly won’t be able to be on “The View” on Wednesdays, when the play would have a matinee. I am assured that it can all be done.

What's so terrific about Rosie Perez as a co-host that they had to accommodate her schedule like that? Frankly, the inconsistency on this show has been one of its major problems. After a year of revolving guest co-hosts and the regulars always taking so much time off, it would probably be best to solidify a new panel and have them there on as consistent a basis as possible. Then again, this is The View, so some things never change.

This part of that article is a bad sign, as I think it would be best if Babs was totally detached from the show:

But I can tell you that when “The View” goes live on the 15th, Barbara Walters will definitely be there. Only she will be backstage in her role as executive producer.

“She will not appear on the set,” says a source. This is such a mistake, in my opinion. Barbara should be right there, at least once a week, as a guiding force. She still owns part of the show, although I’m told she sold part of her ownership to ABC and now has just 17%. Her controlling interest is gone. But ABC can’t completely ice her out, so Walters will be allowed to act as an executive.

I'll have to just continue to skip this show and read about it here, which is always far more interesting and entertaining.

Edited by LuckyBitch

I loved this blurb from Rosie O. the "Oh Snap" link:

"Insisting that she wants the show to be smarter, she makes a dig at Sherri Shepherd, a co-host that left The View this summer. "No one is going to think the Earth is flat," O'Donnell tells the trade publication, referring to a comment made by Shepherd. "When I was at home watching that, I thought I was going to have an aneurysm."

God bless her for saying this! I felt the same way...what a waste of viewers time to listen to crap like that! ! Unfortunately, ABC exes didn't feel the same way and felt that outrageous comments like this from Sherrie and Elizabeth would "make sparks" and get people watching. They should have nipped that in the bud right then, by requiring cohosts to do some prep work, read the news, be more thoughtful in their comments, etc.

Honestly, If Sherrie just got flustered, misspoke and blurted out that flat earth gaffe (everyone makes mistakes) then the next day she could just apologize and say "my bad" but we soon found out that these haphazard and often ignorant comments from Sherrie and Liz were the norm

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 10

Sherri thinking the earth is flat killed me off from the get go. Did she never see a globe?

I have somewhat high hopes with the new upper staff (executive producer, producers). And Whoopi and Rosie O. Nicolle maybe, Rosie P if she tames her voice (which I have seen her do.)

• Love 3

At the old venue, O’Donnell regularly clashed with former exec producer Geddie and Hasselbeck, who exited in 2013. “Elisabeth would go into the dressing room with (Bill) and go over Republican talking points that are sent out every day, and then come out and recite what she had ingested,” O’Donnell says. “I tried to get her to talk more about her own self and how she felt rather than being a robotic pundit.”

We all speculated about this happening, but this is the proof! 

• Love 4

Nope, those kinda look like comfy $85 "Super Birki" Birkenstock clogs.

And I thought the photo from the back with the tongue-in-cheek "The View's back" comment was cute! I will admit to an odd sense of humor though :-)

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!

Edited by CathInAZ