Type keyword(s) to search

The View in the Media

maraleia
  • Start Topic

One of the articles on the incident, from the NY Daily News, has a quote from an ABC flack basically acknowledging the disagreement but trying to dial down the heat. That basically confirms that *something* happened. Usually corporate flacks just lie about stuff, but ABC can't, because there were people there.

Oh, I have no doubt "something" happened. Ro expressed her distress on camera that first day about not being able to have a more full discussion. I just suspect there is a good sized gulf between what actually happened and what is being portrayed in the gossip media which has a habit of embellishing the truth and overhyping the sh*t out of nothing.

Let's just say that in a world where a celebrity says "I suppose if I had to choose I slightly prefer oatmeal cookies over chocolate chip" and within hours thousands of headlines read "So and so SLAMS chocolate chip cookies; storms out of interview when they don't have oatmeal," I tend to be a bit dubious about whether tabloids and gossip are entirely accurate.

• Love 10

It's seems hypocritical and disingenuous to me for someone to scream loudly and stridently for PEACE, proclaiming it all over the place and on all issues, and yet, one does not even know how to act peacefully with co-workers.

• Love 1

You do realize that Radar Online isn't a news site, don't you? They do tabloid gossip and don't have people finding tidbits for them, they just repeat what other tabloid gossip sites have said. Repeating the same story over and over again doesn't make it true, it just spreads the lie.

Yes, so I take what I read there with a grain of salt...but they are often surprisingly accurate ! I'm leaning towords believing the part about Ro and Whoopi. (But maybe the audience members are lying or exaggerating? )I'm disappointed in Ro for doing that in front of an audience. Unprofessional and not cool.

I'm don't believe the stuff about Whoopi wanting out of her contract. It may indeed be true, but i think the "sources" are just speculating and throwing it out there to have a story I'd like to believe that Whoopi was not careless enough to be talking about that and be overheard by "sources".

I had two family members who went that day & they say it's 100% true. The only reason it didn't get out faster was the Friday show was previously taped. Then it was the weekend where apprently all of television shuts down. Rosie can't stand not being in control and wants to be the moderator. You snooze you loose, Rosie. That said, Whoppi is a horrible moderator & TPTB should let her leave if she wants to.

Ooooohhhhhh, ByaNose, what exactly was your family member's version of w hat went down? Edited by CathInAZ

I don't believe Whoopi actively wants out of her contract.  I think she's smart enough to know the revamped show could click and be good for her career, which as far as Tvbythenumbers.com reports could be working.  But I completely believe she has had moments in the past with the previous nutjobs where she wanted to just walk out.  But who hasn't worked at a job where they considered quitting during a stressful week?

I believe the story, to a degree.  I think it could be exaggerated and I also think Whoopi saying "I'm tired of your shit," would read harsher than how she meant it.  Not to excuse Rosie's behavior, which does indeed sound strange, I wonder if confronting a situation where her feelings were hurt head on and not letting it brew is a therapy thing.

• Love 1

Confronting head on is fine, but it hold be done judiciously and professionally. Not in front of an audience, maybe not even backstage with lots of crew around. If the story is true, Rosie's timing just sucked and her actions smack of "loose cannon" and something that her detractors will latch on to. I'm enjoying the shows and hate to see stuff like this come up just 3 weeks in.

• Love 2
You do realize that Radar Online isn't a news site, don't you? They do tabloid gossip and don't have people finding tidbits for them, they just repeat what other tabloid gossip sites have said. Repeating the same story over and over again doesn't make it true, it just spreads the lie.

Radar Online is owned by the same conservative person who also owns National Enquirer

• Love 2

I had a hard time reconciling the implication that this was a hostile stormy fight with quotes like "You hurt my feelings."  I think the cookie analogy above is spot on.

And even if it's true, Rosie seems invested in putting on a quality program.  You know.  Like a professional.  I'm okay with that.

I will say, even if it makes me a part of the tinfoil hat club, that I noticed during Hot Topics one day, Rosie Perez was speaking and Rosie was in the shot.  She looked into the camera, tapped her right ear twice and gave a thumbs up.  I though it was some non-verbal approval to the booth but there's no way to know.

• Love 4

Eh, something probably happened and they were irritated with each other and let off some steam, shit happens.  The whole thing was addressed by Whoopi this morning in a Way Too Early interview with Thomas Roberts.  

She's much more pissed about the chair and table situation. :P

Edited by NextIteration
  • Love 4

Eh, something probably happened and they were irritated with each other and let off some steam, shit happens.  The whole thing was addressed by Whoopi this morning in a Way Too Early interview with Thomas Roberts. 

She's much more pissed about the chair and table situation. :P

Thanks for the link.  Nice interview.  

• Love 1

Rosie Perez is going to be on Wendy Williams tomorrow, she said she will ask her about Whoopi and Rosie.  Also, Bill O'Reilly is going to do a segment over their fight tonight, but there's no way I could stomach that show just to report back what he says (I saw a commercial at the gym).

• Love 1

I watch Bill O'Reilly every night at 11 pm EST..... Gotta pay attention what the critics have to say.... Ill report on his drivel when I watch

Thanks for taking one for the team Roger. Bill O' bloviates so much hot air that I'm surprised the Fox News building needs to use heat in the winter. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4

that was really odd...

On the O'Reilly show they showed a clip from the day they were talking about Sarah Palin.... and after Whoopi commented.... Rosie O said she would end the discussion... then shouted RACISM!!  (mocking Palin's comment about racism) Then Whoopi made a comment (that looked like she was reading the teleprompter) about "not playing" with tossing around the term racism..... they tried to make it into Whoopi "scolding" Rosie O

Then they mentioned the news article about the spat on the set.... basically they said they don't know if it was real or not but The View didn't deny it..... wasn't much of a segment

When I watch it again Ill clarify about the clip they showed.

Not completely sure how to post links, but I'm not sure this article's been posted:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2778026/The-View-looking-add-cool-room-ladies-Whoopi-Goldberg-Rosie-O-Donnell-come-blows-studio-audience.html

Apparently, the producers want to create some kind of "cool room" where the co-hosts will cool-off when they are emotional so they won't argue or hold resentments. I have to be honest that when I first read about the supposed Whoopi/Rosie O confrontation that I didn't believe it. But between Whoopi's comments in her interview and this, I'm thinking it probably was now. It does say a lot about how much better shape the show is in that the producers are trying to help keep the co-hosts from going at each other, rather than Bill Geddie who would do nothing except revel in all the sparks.

I do hope they learn how to get along with each other's egos. As far as I know, Whoopi's contract is up at the end of the year, Rosie O only had a 1-year contract to begin with, and who knows about Rosie P's and Nicolle's contracts. I wouldn't want to see a mass departure now that the panel and chemistry is actually decent again.

• Love 2

Ratings.

Wonder if they'll hold?

I hope so. 

This show is OnDemand on Comcast too.    The network (or whomever owns the show, in this case the network) makes the decision to offer it OnDemand.  All kinds of good things are happening with Sweaty Geddie's departure: high ratings, OnDemand, etc. 

• Love 1

Thanks for posting the ratings - I was wondering how much they were up!

Don't know where else to post this so I'll put it here. I only recently discovered that my cable company (the famous Time=Warner that wouldn't let us watch ABC shows online) has put the View on-demand. I think this is huge because I don't remember there ever being daytime talk shows on the On-demand function. It looks like they will stay up a week at a time. Wonder whose idea that was? Those viewings are figured in the ratings also...

I just discovered it on AT&T on-demand too. I noticed The Chew is there as well along with some late-night talk that I don't recall seeing there before. Interesting, and probably smart marketing. I wonder if it has something to do with the fact that most daytime programming, especially talk, is syndicated or otherwise not majority network owned, but now ABC has controlling ownership of the show for the first time. Or, it could be that the networks are just wising up to the fact that they need every advertising dollar that they can get and it's worth rolling out shows on-demand even if they have small audiences compared to prime time.

• Love 1

The View and The Talk have been compared to each from the start, they're both network shows with all female panels.  And I don't see why they wouldn't have similar demographics, I doubt the shows are after drastically different audiences just because one usually airs in the morning and the other in the afternoon.

• Love 2

'The View' Moving to ABC News' Non-Fiction Programming Group

The View has joined ABC News' non-fiction programming group after 18 seasons under the oversight of ABC's Daytime executives. New ABC News head James Goldston, who will now oversee The View, announced the move in a staff memo sent out Thursday morning.

Goldston is largely responsible for Good Morning America's transformation to a multi-anchor ensemble, which helped the ABC morning show end NBC rival Today's 16-year morning-news ratings win streak.

Maybe that means they're going to try to bring the show back to its roots.  The show desperately needs a moderator with a background in journalism or news anchoring and they need to dump one or both of the comedians imo.  I know Rosie has her fans but I don't think she's a huge draw anymore and the less said about Whoopi, the better.

Sounds like this shift may give the show better access to using ABC news reporters to join the cohosts at the table to discuss issues. It's definitely a move away from the "fluffy" , dumbed down approach the show has taken in recent years. It will may distinguish the show a bit more from other overly chatty day time talk shows. Wonder if the Monday flash sales and in- show commercials are a thing of the past or are needed to generate revenue bexwuse of the programming shift.

The New York Daily article provided the text from the internal memo that was sent to staff this week :

"As many of you know firsthand, The View has often called on our on-air team to help viewers understand the biggest stories of the day, from Ebola to Election Night," Goldston wrote.

"Moving The View to our non-fiction programming group now allows it to fully draw on the vast resources of ABC News and our team in New York, especially now that the show is based right next to the Barbara Walters building," Goldston wrote.

"We started to ramp up our non-fiction programming several years ago, and under the strong leadership of Morgan Hertzan, Lincoln Square Productions is growing fast and doing some simply amazing work."

"Award-winning shows like NY Med, Dr. Besser's Ebola documentary for Discovery and Surgeon Oz have broadened our perspective on how we better explain the world to our audience and draw new viewers to ABC News."

Edited by CathInAZ

I think it might have switched back and forth between divisions under different ABC leadership.

I think like the article says might be possible this will actually lead to a more dumbed down, pop culture version of the show.  Just look at how awful and trashy 20/20 has become.  I think they will definitely start to audition younger hosts while Perez is away, and they might even replace her.  

I guess the Rosie ratings bump didn't last after premiere week.

Edited by Morbs

I always thought Barbara Walters said The View was in their news division

I could be wrong, but I don't think The View was ever under the ABC news umbrella. I think it was always in the daytime entertainment division. Barbara, of course, was always attached to the news division, and I think that, combined with the fact that they were all under the greater ABC network umbrella, contributed to the ambiguity about who was actually running the ship on the network side.

I think this switch might actually be a good thing and push them to be a bit more precise with their "facts." Bill Wolff is a news guy, so I imagine this will give him a sense of more familiar surroundings and content sensibilities and access. Every time I read that the ratings are only so-so I just have such a hard time understanding it. Sure, the show has some pretty big kinks to work out still, but overall it is such an improvement over the dreck they had been putting out for years. Maybe some folks just have View fatigue and have simply dropped out. I just find it hard to believe that some half a million viewers actually preferred the awfulness of the past couple of seasons in particular. That would be very disappointing.

• Love 6

I just find it hard to believe that some half a million viewers actually preferred the awfulness of the past couple of seasons in particular.

Hmm, I may be one of those Viewers. I totally recognize the hot mess The View has been the last few seasons, but something about this season bores me. Maybe it's because there is no young co-host, and the youngest is Nicolle who is 10+ years older than I am. To me, they desperately need someone in their late 20s/early 30s. I love hearing RO's viewpoint and I like Nicolle, but I'm not interested in RP and I'm over Whoopi. Sure I understand there's a vast improvement as there are no more childish shenanigans this season like last (Jenny + Sherri = total immaturity), but I still prefer The View from the 2012/13 season and before that to this current season. That even includes EH! As much as I disliked her mean spirit, maybe the fact that she was at risk of imploding at any second kept me tuning in.

Doesn't the show target the 18-45 year old segment (I think those are the right ages?). If so, it doesn't help that 3 out of 4 cohosts are older than 45 with the youngest being very close to that age.

• Love 2

Lots of people just like watching an inane train wreck (look at Bravo's popularity!) so The View may have lost a lot of those viewers.

And a little different age demographic amount the hosts would be nice IF the person fit in well and had moderate intelligence!

But honestly, when I now watch an episode I usually learn something or think about things a little differently due to the discussions which are more thought provoking than the babbling discourse of the past couple of years. And, as much as I recognize Barbara's place in paving the way for women in news, her repetitious stories and odd behavior was a waste of my time ...as was most of Sherrie's chatter when I watched an episode.

The problems with the View is that I don't think the hosts have any chemistry and the hosts have little to say imo, though I would keep Nicolle out of all of them if the show has to have a right-wing voice.  They needed to completely rebuild the show and hire new blood, instead they keep Whoopi and rehire Rosie O.

I really wouldn't mind if The View turned basically into the third hour of GMA.  At least the pop culture, infotainment crap would make more sense on the View than GMA.

The tabloid show Extra led with the story of ABC news division taking over the view and added a story about backstage closed door fights between RO and WG to the degree that Rosie had someone timing Whoopi's on camera time compared to her time on camera.

The speculation in their story was that ABC would try rotating in some people like Lara Spencer or Amy Robach (who I thought was great when she guested) and possibly bring in someone younger to join the cast to improve their appeal to younger viewers.   They also mentioned bringing in someone like GMA's social media guy to add that to The View.

I've been saying for about 2 years that ABC should just make one big long daytime show sort of like what NBC has done with TODAY (but hopefully better) and just rotate in the casts of GMA, The View, The Chew at different hours to feature different things.   It would probably be cheaper for them in the long run.  

• Love 2

Out of curiosity, I have watched a couple shows of both "The Talk" and "The Real" and those are both dumbed down, babbling chat fests, so ANY attempt by ABC to have The View provide more informative, news things is a big plus in my book.

• Love 3

Hmm, I may be one of those Viewers. I totally recognize the hot mess The View has been the last few seasons, but something about this season bores me. Maybe it's because there is no young co-host, and the youngest is Nicolle who is 10+ years older than I am. To me, they desperately need someone in their late 20s/early 30s. I love hearing RO's viewpoint and I like Nicolle, but I'm not interested in RP and I'm over Whoopi. Sure I understand there's a vast improvement as there are no more childish shenanigans this season like last (Jenny + Sherri = total immaturity), but I still prefer The View from the 2012/13 season and before that to this current season. That even includes EH! As much as I disliked her mean spirit, maybe the fact that she was at risk of imploding at any second kept me tuning in.

Doesn't the show target the 18-45 year old segment (I think those are the right ages?). If so, it doesn't help that 3 out of 4 cohosts are older than 45 with the youngest being very close to that age.

I was really surprised that they didnt snag up one of those Disney girls that aged out of their show..... it seems like one of them would have made a good transition as a host on The View

I guess the Rosie ratings bump didn't last after premiere week.

I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a lot of other people who feel like I do, but I definitely tuned in to the new show because Rosie was back. After only two or three weeks, I tuned back out again because of Whoopi hogging the spotlight and not letting any of the others voice their opinions. If Whoopi was hushed up and Rosie allowed to speak, I would tune back in again.

• Love 9

Yeah. I'm sick of Whoopi and her knowing everything about everything and her lecturing viewers who dare to comment. I like RO, but there's something tentative going on with her. I really like Nicholle as the resident Republican. She is doing better every week. Rosie P has stumbled a couple of times (catcalling) but I think she's fine. I'm glad they're getting out of the entertainment division because maybe their information will be more precise.

• Love 4

The tabloid show Extra led with the story of ABC news division taking over the view and added a story about backstage closed door fights between RO and WG to the degree that Rosie had someone timing Whoopi's on camera time compared to her time on camera.

The speculation in their story was that ABC would try rotating in some people like Lara Spencer or Amy Robach (who I thought was great when she guested) and possibly bring in someone younger to join the cast to improve their appeal to younger viewers.   They also mentioned bringing in someone like GMA's social media guy to add that to The View.

I've been saying for about 2 years that ABC should just make one big long daytime show sort of like what NBC has done with TODAY (but hopefully better) and just rotate in the casts of GMA, The View, The Chew at different hours to feature different things.   It would probably be cheaper for them in the long run.  

You know, given Ro's remark about timeouts, this seems plausible.  And making The View and The Chew extensions of GMA is an interesting idea!

I can only speak for myself but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are a lot of other people who feel like I do, but I definitely tuned in to the new show because Rosie was back. After only two or three weeks, I tuned back out again because of Whoopi hogging the spotlight and not letting any of the others voice their opinions. If Whoopi was hushed up and Rosie allowed to speak, I would tune back in again.

I came back for Rosie.  I was only posting here to snark about Jenny and my hate for her and what's she's done to vaccinations and lo and behold, we got the Rosie announcement!  Whoopi is exhausting me and I'm fixing to tune out if something doesn't change.  And to be frank?  Rosie P is getting on my nerves as well, I read her book and admire her, was looking forward to her inclusion and she's nice enough, but she seems to have a shtick that is wearing a bit thin for me.  It's a combination of things, her holier than thou attitude about all things, mixed with some silly shit, and what is becoming the constant race card play.  I was hoping that her inclusion would be more about the wave in Latinos/Hispanics in all things (entertainment, demographics, politics); it's not coming off that way at all, it's coming off as "oh poor me" and I just can't muster sympathy for any millionaire that takes on that stance.

• Love 3

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/abc-news-takes-over-the-view-as-ratings-dwindle-exclusive-1201342390/

According to Variety, they pursued Carrie Underwood for a role as a co-host on the show after the mass firing earlier this year. I can see why they did, considering she's young, Southern, polite with diverse opinions, a ratings draw (if "The Sound of Music" ratings were any indication), and well-known. That said, I'm not sure they could've afforded her even if she had been interested.

Too bad they didn't look at Jordin Sparks instead. Young, single (now...), worked with Disney before, could use some publicity, moderately famous but not such a big commodity to be unaffordable like Underwood, etc. I would have loved to have seen her on The View. Regardless of who, I prefer 5 co-hosts if I'm being honest. Maybe they can bring on a young co-host in the spring? I can't remember if they have a hiatus for the winter holidays.

• Love 1
Regardless of who, I prefer 5 co-hosts if I'm being honest. Maybe they can bring on a young co-host in the spring? I can't remember if they have a hiatus for the winter holidays.

I guess I don't care if it's four or five co-hosts but I hate, hate, hated the revolving door of guest hosts last year.  I know they were 'auditioning' or whatever but I don't need to see everyone's job interview.  Once in a while is fine - like when RosieP was out sick and Whoopi was pimping one of her other gigs but I really hope they don't make it a regular thing; 

• Love 4

Uh-oh! 

Eh, so a strong woman like Rosie [who actually has a dozen Emmys for her own show]  is a bully but Babs had to arrange for Geddie to get a Daytime Emmy for lifetime achievement for the way he ran this show into the ground?  

Who knows if this story has any merit but either way I say, "So what?"  Rosie was brought in to make this show good again and it sounds like the anonymous source wants it to be business as usual.  If she's shaking up production, then good for her; as far as I'm concerned the bookers from the last few years sucked.  

• Love 10