Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

Drogo
  • Start Topic

I'm hoping once Leida's family sees the apartment they decide it's time to leave - that is leave Leida there & take Aless home with them.  Eric has no business with that kid - he's horrible with him & could care less about how horrible he is with him. It doesn't seem like Leida will step in either having no real connection with him. Those two belong together if they want to make each other miserable but Aless will be the real loser in that deal if they keep him there.

Jon & 'Fernanna's' story line feels like I'm watching a Telemundo audition.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, eatsleep said:

Yeah, why is he in that homogenously White Southern town?

Actually, at least according to Wiki, Lumberton is equal parts white and black (about 36% each), with a relatively high (almost 13%) Native American population though a low Latino one (6%). Before I knew he was actually from Chicago and thought he was Lumbertonian (I made that up), I thought he could be ethnically ambiguous and before I knew his last name was thinking he could be part Native American (thinking he could be of Lumbee descent).

BTW, for those wondering how they ended up in Myrtle Beach, SC, that would be pretty much the closest beach town to Lumberton ... it may be almost equidistant to Wilmington NC which is nice, but I think MB may actually be a little closer going southeast than straight east to Wilmington. 

• Love 3

My heart breaks for Alessandro. When Eric grabbed his arm and hissed "Enough!" when the poor little guy was crying and upset I wanted to snatch him away from him myself. He's an adorable little pumpkin and I'm glad his Grampy got hold of him to help him settle down. 

• Love 24
16 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

Actually, at least according to Wiki, Lumberton is equal parts white and black (about 36% each), with a relatively high (almost 13%) Native American population though a low Latino one (6%). Before I knew he was actually from Chicago and thought he was Lumbertonian (I made that up), I thought he could be ethnically ambiguous and before I knew his last name was thinking he could be part Native American (thinking he could be of Lumbee descent).

BTW, for those wondering how they ended up in Myrtle Beach, SC, that would be pretty much the closest beach town to Lumberton ... it may be almost equidistant to Wilmington NC which is nice, but I think MB may actually be a little closer going southeast than straight east to Wilmington. 

I wondered from the get go why his wingman had the deep drawl and he had none.  I assume he just stayed after college to avoid the as yet unseen jealous mama.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Kellyee said:

Did anyone else notice that Leida appears to have no maternal instincts or bond with her child? He was obviously tired and clinging to Grandpa while New Daddy tried to man-handle him away, and Leida just sat there. I also noticed that before her parents arrived, Eric was holding the kid most of the time. I think that poor child needs to be in Indonesia with his grandparents. Let his mother do whatever stupid thing she wants, but protect the little boy from this train wreck.

11 hours ago, queenjen said:

None at all @Kellyee.  I don't think i've seen her touch him or talk to him. On their first night in the 'cabin', Reina put him to bed and she said goodnight from the doorway. He didn't seem to even notice her. My kids would have been howling for me in this situation. I'd say Aless has been tended to by house servants, his grandparents and his aunt while his mother explores getting famous all around Asia and now the US.

57 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I'm hoping once Leida's family sees the apartment they decide it's time to leave - that is leave Leida there & take Aless home with them.  Eric has no business with that kid - he's horrible with him & could care less about how horrible he is with him. It doesn't seem like Leida will step in either having no real connection with him. Those two belong together if they want to make each other miserable but Aless will be the real loser in that deal if they keep him there.

Jon & 'Fernanna's' story line feels like I'm watching a Telemundo audition.

37 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

My heart breaks for Alessandro. When Eric grabbed his arm and hissed "Enough!" when the poor little guy was crying and upset I wanted to snatch him away from him myself. He's an adorable little pumpkin and I'm glad his Grampy got hold of him to help him settle down. 

I feel like Coltee loves his cats more.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, eatsleep said:

I don't disagree w/ anything you're saying. But I think in Colt's defense, the way he and Larissa are playing this is that they are using the 90 days as a test drive. They are not engaged yet. He said they are watching and waiting to see how it goes and then they will marry ~if~ they feel there is compatibility. I think it's kind of shitty for him to hedge his bets like that while Larissa gives up everything in Brazil (job, home, possessions, etc.) but he said that's the way it is and she agreed. (or at least I think she agreed.)

This person was talking about Larissa, not Fernanda.

I noticed that, too! Had Colt been shacking up w/ someone else? Or was it a roommate? Or his gross cousin?

Or his father?

• Love 2
35 minutes ago, Spike said:

I wondered from the get go why his wingman had the deep drawl and he had none.  I assume he just stayed after college to avoid the as yet unseen jealous mama.

He might have stayed after being in the military in that area. My Marine son was stationed at Camp Lejeune near there for awhile.

6 hours ago, PityFree said:

I think it would be better described as post-communism/developing economy medicine than socialized medicine. Finland, for example, has universal healthcare coverage for its people and has very high quality facilities. Russia doesn’t have the same system  by any stretch of the imagination.

Debbie looked more manly than Colt both before *and* after the haircut/color.

St Petersburg is a beautiful city, and it still has blocks and blocks of those dreadful post-communism apartment-concentration-camp-looking apartment buildings.

• Love 5

I was wondering if Asuelu was a dancer at the resort in Samoa. His English is not the best and he may not have been in a position to be working with guests. He could have worked other areas where English was not required.

BTW, I commend all the foreigners for their command of the English language. They have a joke in Europe: What do you call someone who speaks more than one language? Bi-lingual or multilingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language? American 

• Love 8
11 hours ago, fountain said:

Yes but that is not how women deliver babies these days in progressive countries with medical systems that support the baby and the mom. The drugging of women with ether has been shown to cause more dramatic and risky deliveries and things like forceps had to be used in most deliveries, it definitely was not a natural way to give birth. In poorer countries, usually birth is even more natural and supported with midwives and active labour, etc. Russia seemed stuck in the middle where labour and delivery is still a 60s medical thing and I don’t blame Steve for being shocked and stressed about it. Men have been in delivery rooms for many decades already in North America, and in developing nations having a baby is often a natural event with support and guidance so even if men aren’t around women have the support of other women and midwives. Olga seemed to be put in a room to “wait it out” like having a baby was a medical procedure like getting her appendix out. IDK, it was sad to me.

Yes.  Steven is young enough to not know that men weren't traditionally in the delivery room.  I'm 33 and had a baby two years ago, and it was a given that my husband would be in there because that's all I've ever known.  I'm glad things have changed.  My mother passed away and my mother in law lives very far away.  I have no sisters or first cousins.  If my husband could not have been there, I would have been alone.  That would have made me very sad as I waited through my 12 + hours of labor.  He stood by my head the entire time, and that was good enough.  He didn't need to see the whole show!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Lily247 said:

Idk, 19 is so young, shes still a teenager. Im notnsure she knows what mother nature has in store for the future, especially when she will have kids ? I ate anything at that age and was a stick. To be 19 and very overweight is pretty tragic in my humble opinion, unless there is some health issues going on.OTOH, when I was 19, I would never have considered dating someone in their 30s. She may seem mature but I think that jon will kind of have to "raise" her for the next couple years. There is definitely a world of difference between a 19 year old woman and a 22 year old woman IMO.

Not to pick on you, but I don’t see anything wrong with Fernanda saying that she works hard for her body at 19. I’m sure she does! She has a great body.

Yes many people are blessed with genes and youth to look a certain way, but just because you are young does NOT mean you don’t work out and eat right. I personally think Fernanda is beautiful, and as someone who’s been either overweight or obese since I was 2yrs old (I’m 33) I can admit I’ve always been annoyed by notions that because you were young were automatically supposed to be thin or something....which for many of us isn’t the case. 

There are many 19year olds that would be into a Jon (in his 30s) he’s fairly fit and attractive and has more disposable income than her peers. Also the fact that he is a USC. I judge him more for being into her than the other way around. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

I was wondering if Asuelu was a dancer at the resort in Samoa. His English is not the best and he may not have been in a position to be working with guests. He could have worked other areas where English was not required.

BTW, I commend all the foreigners for their command of the English language. They have a joke in Europe: What do you call someone who speaks more than one language? Bi-lingual or multilingual. What do you call someone who speaks one language? American 

I agree that many of the foreigners speak English well.  I do understand why more Americans don't speak more than one language (as opposed to Europeans), and it is really do to the size of the country.  An American can never travel overseas but still see a lot of different things and diverse landscapes (America has deserts, beaches, mountains, forests, swamps),etc, while Europeans are much more likely to travel to another country when they go away.  I mean, if a French person visits Germany (which is pretty close), they have to know another language.  A person from New England could travel through many states all the way out to the west coast and still be fine just using English!  I am from NJ, and I imagine if people in New York spoke primarily Portuguese (I'm picking a language at random here), I would probably have a working command of that language, too)!

• Love 14
6 hours ago, LGGirl said:

Too bad Steven didn’t consultban immigration lawyer before going yo Russia.  They would have probably told him to get Olga to the US before the birth and have the baby here.  Chances are,  once she’s here, she wouldn’t have to leave because the baby would be a US citizen. 

Unfortunately, not really. I have several acquaintances who did that (gave birth in the US) and had to resort to other means (not exactly legal) to gain a green card. Also, if I'm not mistaken, if they would choose that route (anchor baby), they would likely have to wait 18 years to get any kind of legal papers, or something like that. Believe me, if it was that easy, people wouldnt be getting hauled off back to Mexico after having kids here :/

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, lucy711 said:

I agree that many of the foreigners speak English well.  I do understand why more Americans don't speak more than one language (as opposed to Europeans), and it is really do to the size of the country.  An American can never travel overseas but still see a lot of different things and diverse landscapes (America has deserts, beaches, mountains, forests, swamps),etc, while Europeans are much more likely to travel to another country when they go away.  I mean, if a French person visits Germany (which is pretty close), they have to know another language.  A person from New England could travel through many states all the way out to the west coast and still be fine just using English!  I am from NJ, and I imagine if people in New York spoke primarily Portuguese (I'm picking a language at random here), I would probably have a working command of that language, too)!

My experince is, Not really.  You can get away with English only in most of western Europe. In fact  I spend a lot of time in Europe and  find the common language is most often English. If a Norwegian, A frenchman and a German wasnt to speak with each other, they will often all use English. Most europeans speak their native language and English, and may speak more languages after that. Most Scandinavians speak perfect English. Otherwise, your point is valid. Id also  add that Europeans have more paid time off for travel. The amount of time most Americans have off can make international travel tough.

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Sometimes Fernanda looks beautiful to me and other times her face looks like it's so wide and features so big for a small face.

This season, Feenanda is definitely the best looking woman, both domestic and "imported" for lack of a better word. She looks better the less makeup she wears though. The BLACK eyeshadow in her "couples" shots is terrible and makes her look like a kid's drawing of a person where they just draw two black dots for the eyes. I can't shake the image of a young Lori Loughlin every time I see her. Lori is more of what I'd describe as a "handsome woman."

• Love 3
55 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Not to pick on you, but I don’t see anything wrong with Fernanda saying that she works hard for her body at 19. I’m sure she does! She has a great body.

Yes many people are blessed with genes and youth to look a certain way, but just because you are young does NOT mean you don’t work out and eat right. I personally think Fernanda is beautiful, and as someone who’s been either overweight or obese since I was 2yrs old (I’m 33) I can admit I’ve always been annoyed by notions that because you were young were automatically supposed to be thin or something....which for many of us isn’t the case. 

There are many 19year olds that would be into a Jon (in his 30s) he’s fairly fit and attractive and has more disposable income than her peers. Also the fact that he is a USC. I judge him more for being into her than the other way around. 

I agree that Jon could be considered a catch - athletic, relatively attractive, has some money (apparantly). Its just the pomposity that I could never deal with myself :/ 

And I get that some people never have an easy time with their weight, unfortunately. I think I just dont like her from what I've seen. Sometimes you see people who cant stop bragging/humble bragging about themselves, and I kind of see that with her. I also didnt like how she disparaged Jon's friends, even though most of them were very nice and gracious to her ... 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Lily247 said:

I think I just dont like her from what I've seen. Sometimes you see people who cant stop bragging/humble bragging about themselves, and I kind of see that with her. I also didnt like how she disparaged Jon's friends, even though most of them were very nice and gracious to her ... 

Ah that makes sense. I think Fernanda’s attitude can be attributed to a combination of factors (I’ll have to watch more to see if she’s really just immature or of poor character); but I won’t knock her for having a fit and tone body just because she is 19. 

• Love 1
On 11/13/2018 at 1:55 PM, eatsleep said:
On 11/13/2018 at 1:54 PM, Morgalisa said:

On the after show when Debbie was talking about the past living arrangements of Colt, her husband and herself, she said, (paraphrasing): THEY lived next door and then my husband died and Colt moved back with me. I was hoping the host would follow up on it.

I noticed that, too! Had Colt been shacking up w/ someone else? Or was it a roommate? Or his gross cousin?

I also wondered about that and thought maybe Colt and his father lived together and next door to Debbie for some reason. Or maybe Colt has a sibling that hasn't been mentioned and "they" lived next door to the parents. But what really confused me was Debbie saying that they'd been in Seattle until a year ago and Colt's father passed away ten years ago, so I'm pretty sure that their Vegas house was purchased just for the two of them. 

Edited by magemaud
edited to correct timeline of father's passing
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I think its pretty harsh to assume that Ashley's kids don't live with her or that she's a terrible mother. Maybe she's a good enough mother to not want her kids displayed on reality TV. Maybe she had them stay with

They had a torrid summer romance, Steven said they got her positive pregnancy test right before she left to go back home to Russia. Why the assumption that Olga is either "loose" or conniving? They seem to really care for one another.

I hope the same. Kalani and her family are nuts. When her sister was whinging about "my baby" I almost fell off my chair. Honey. He's not your baby. If you want a baby they're usually easy to make. Get one of your own.

Kalani's attempts at damage control are lame. She's looking in the mirror and doesn't like what she sees, so she's trying to make excuses for her horrible family to Asuelu's detriment. I just can't wait to meet the heretofore unknown brother. I bet he's a treat.

Eric's apartment looks like the lair of a couple of teenage boys. Can you IMAGINE how it smells? Dirty socks, stale beer, and regret.

I’m not assuming anyone is loose.  But let’s be real, people on this show are looking for a path to America.  No one should make any assumptions on fatherhood based on a summer romance; least of which if the mother is visiting from a foreign country.  I’m sorry, but there are way too many scammers out there to put all of your faith and trust into a 4-6 week “relationship.”

• Love 1
9 hours ago, eatsleep said:

And I still don't understand why Leida and her family flew into JFK....on two separate days. Why didn't they all fly into Wisconsin, using a connecting flight if there was no direct flight? And all on the same day. And did the brother and sister actually need to come? Weren't the parents capable of assessing the situation and helping w/ Allessandro?

I think that the show responsibilities are a second concern after the family vacation

• Love 3
On 29/10/2018 at 9:51 AM, Adeejay said:

Kalani’s family is starting to remind me of Chantel's.  I felt sorry for Asuelu; he seemed on the verge of tears. I am sure this wasn’t the welcome he expected.  

Ashley is in for a world of hurt with Jay.  I don't believe he is ready to be anyone's husband.  

If Leida is as wealthy as she claims, then why weren’t they staying at a hotel in Midtown Manhattan instead of Nowhere, Pennsylvania?

On 29/10/2018 at 10:06 AM, Major Bigtime said:

They are staying in Nowhere because that’s all Doofus can afford.

I think it would be better drama if Leida family paid for a better room, paid for maids for their house, maybe bought them a house too. So Eric looks like the gold-digger one.

That would be so interesting. But drama we have now with only Leida COMPLAINING and Eric having no money is so boring. Just leave him if you don't like it. You don't look like you love him anyway.

On 29/10/2018 at 7:28 PM, merylinkid said:

Because it looks better on the show to pick up the gold digging fiance in a beat up car.

Eric took the OTHER gold digger to Nowhere, PA because 1) it makes a better storyline and 2) less likely to have things leak than filming in Manhattan.   She is saying "do it proper" because that's how she THINKS one really rich people talk.    Girlfriend actually has no clue.

Poor Asuelu.   He is going to be expected to work his ass off and never see his son.   Because she sure ain't getting a job.  Nope, she's a mom now, she gets to stay home and be a housewife.  Not that there is anything wrong with that, but sometimes reality bites you on the butt and you can't do what you want.   She might have to work for a while to support the family. 

Yes I think Leida is a gold-digger who pretends to be rich too. It's like she s trying to answer the question "are you a gold digger who only wants a green card before anyone asks.

I think she took her family to prove: look how rich we are. We can afford to fly 4-5 people to America as a 'proof' of how rich the family is. But if Eric still has to pay for their accommodation, it tells me they are not really as rich as they want us to thing.

I want to see Leida's family lose their patience and throw money at Leida and Eric. Say, here $$$ hire a maid, here $$$ move us to a better accommodation, here $$$ buy better food. But right now it looks more like her family needs him.

Re: blow up furniture.......  When I was in high school in the 90's and early 2000's blow up couches and chairs were all the rage....in fun colors.  I remember when I first started college and I really really wanted a pink blow up couch for my dorm room.  But, by then the fad had petered out and I couldn't find one to buy.  I was sad.  That said, there is no reason for Eric to have crap furniture in his apartment.  Heck, you can go to the Goodwill or Salvation Army or even yard sales and find nice stuff for next to nothing.  Even Amazon has cheap nicer looking furniture.  If he can order a wife online, there is no reason why a 40 year old man can't order some decent looking furniture and a full sized headboard and mattress and a toddler bed.  He would not have to spend a lot to just fix it up a little.   I must admit a large part of me was reveling in schadenfreude seeing icky Ledia look in horror at Eric's lack of awareness , money, and being a capable adult.

I was also struck how nice and normal his father and step mother seemed.  If it were Eric's father , I was expecting someone like Big Mike on the Middle- an elderly , confused , backwoods , hoarder.  But, they seemed like lovely people and very un-Eric like.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, CSunshine76 said:

I’m not assuming anyone is loose.  But let’s be real, people on this show are looking for a path to America.  No one should make any assumptions on fatherhood based on a summer romance; least of which if the mother is visiting from a foreign country.  I’m sorry, but there are way too many scammers out there to put all of your faith and trust into a 4-6 week “relationship.”

I don't think Olga is like that.

I'm not always positive thinking. My hunch is Leida is a gold-digger who is pretending to be rich so people don't think she s a gold-digger. She brings all of her family members to prove they can afford the plane tickets but now it looks like her family needs Eric.

I feel sorry for Leida'sfamily because I think this wasn't their idea. Her father is a respected doctor. Maybe she just said please take me there for safety but she was using them. Except for her sister, her family members seem confused. The sister looks like the smartest one and she knows all Leida's tricks.

I think the better drama is if her family lost patience and just throw money to Eric: here $$$ hire a maid, here $$$ buy better food, here $$$ move us to a better hotel. That's a better drama story imo. But we dont see that happen. The story they have now where Leida just complains, complains, complains and Eric has no money is so boring.

The motives of the foreign k1 Visa participants don't seem pure to me. I think more than half of the people in 90 days are bad criminals.

Sorry But Olga is not one of them. Why is Olga giving birth in that hospital if she can just go enjoy a good American life and give birth there? Why is it Steve who went to Russia?

I think Olga is one of the few good ones here.

Edited by Indomie
  • Love 6

I have an anecdote that covers a few of our discussion points.

In the early 70s, my father (Steven) was a medical resident.  It's gotten a little better, but they used to run residents into the ground.  Many hours, little sleep.  My mother went into labor with my brother.  Dad missed the birth since he had snuck off into an empty room to nap.  Mom was displeased, but the world didn't end.

I'm totally Team Olga.  I think she's a girl who had an accident while in the US working for the summer who is now doing her best to make the situation work.  She's super stoic.  She just puts her head down and gets the job done.  

• Love 11

I also don't think Olga schemed to get the American life.  She was just college girl having some fun for a summer and it ended in accidental pregnancy.  I think she truly wants the baby and wants to make it work with Steven.  Steven lucked out with her; b/c there ARE many young women that would have schemed to get pregnant with an American and get themselves over here at any cost.  Olga does not come off that way.  She's probably excited and curious about America, but I get the feeling she would be okay if Steven suddenly had a change of heart and brain and wanted to live there with her.

*by accidental pregnancy I mean she did not plan it.  I honestly would not be surprised if she knew very little about birth control or fertile times of her cycle.  If she didn't have a mom or sister or other female figure to explain things or not a great education where sex ed was covered; she was just bumbling around figuring things out on her own or didn't even think of consequences of having unprotected sex.   I have no idea how open Russia is about that stuff or how they approach that in gov't schools.  Steven should know what a condom is though and how and why they are used.

Edited by doyouevengohere
  • Love 16

If I were one of Leida's parents, I would demand to the see the apartment, just because its so obvious that Eric doesn't want them to see it. Leida can do what she wants, but the little boy needs to be protected by his aunt and his grandparents. There isn't even room for him to sleep in the apartment. 

I don't care if someone is poor, but its so obvious that Eric told huge lies to get Leida come to live with him. And he can spend thousands on a K1 Visa, but can't get a better apartment? That seems to be a common theme on this show.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, eatsleep said:

But I think in Colt's defense, the way he and Larissa are playing this is that they are using the 90 days as a test drive. They are not engaged yet. He said they are watching and waiting to see how it goes and then they will marry ~if~ they feel there is compatibility. I think it's kind of shitty for him to hedge his bets like that while Larissa gives up everything in Brazil (job, home, possessions, etc.) but he said that's the way it is and she agreed. (or at least I think she agreed.)

Absolutely true.  The whole point of the 90 days is to see if they really want to get married.  But the fact remains that Coltie told Larissa--in his mother's presence--that they waited to buy a couch so Larissa could pick one out.  This isn't about testing the waters; it's about living in a house with no living room furniture (unless you count the slot machine, which I definitely *do*) and telling your gf she can buy what she wants except no she can't so we still have no living room furniture.  The result of no living room furniture is to limit interactions among the three of them to meals.  They "live" in their bedrooms, where Larissa isn't going to get to know Debbie and vice versa.  I thought Larissa's rather playful invitation to Debbie to shop ("want to go buy a couch?") was charming, and if Debbie had entered into the fun of looking at furniture--because it *can* be fun, even if--maybe because--the furniture you're looking at is so awful, they might have created a real bond, including making fun of each other's taste.  And still not have bought a couch.  I think they could have had a really good time together:  maybe included lunch and drinks.  I get the feeling that Larissa is trying hard to get to know Debbie, but Debbie's prime directive is to protect Coltie from a gold digger.

Debbie and Coltie, and maybe Eric, too, don't seem to understand that when you've invited someone from another country to stay with you, for whatever reason, you do have an obligation to spend a little money on them, at least a little more money than you normally spend on yourself, if only because there's now one more person.  I think Ashley's party and icky Jon's trip to Myrtle Beach were the kind of thing all these guys should have been doing.  Coltie could at the very least have taken Larissa to his workplace to have her meet his co-workers and see what his job entails, then taken her out to lunch.  Instead, he took her to meet his judgmental cousin, who has known Coltie himself for less than a year.  Coltie is a real sport.

• Love 9

Have we seen any independent corroboration that Leida's father is a "famous surgeon"?  We suspect her of exaggerating a lot of stuff.  Might she be exaggerating that as well?  Maybe he's a doctor . . . but the level of doctor who is a government employee . . . not a "famous" (well-paid) private surgeon.

Are they just being quiet about the accommodations because they are polite, or are they in shock?  

• Love 1

I think the powers that be realized that they didn't need to have the super-cheap stuff now.  People will come to Vegas as a vacation destination, and understand that they'll have to spend money.

We're planning to go up there for hubby's birthday in March.  Used to be you could stay on the strip during the week for about $25.  We did find a room for $45 at one of the nice hotels, but now they've jumped on the "plus parking and resort fees" bandwagon.  

25 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

If I were one of Leida's parents, I would demand to the see the apartment, just because its so obvious that Eric doesn't want them to see it.

I think this is a really good point.  They have to be wondering why Eric is going to such lengths--and expense--to keep them out of his apartment.  And does Eric think Leida is not going to tell them how bad it is, especially if she really does want to go back home?  If she truly wants to stay here, I bet she'll go along with Eric and keep them away.

Leida seems to me to be one of the worst green-card seekers we've seen yet.  She doesn't simply want a better life in America--it seems like her life in Indonesia is pretty sweet--but she wants to be an American doctor so she can earn lots of money.  She said it herself--doctors in Indonesia don't make a lot; American doctors can be rich.  She is willing to fuck Eric to get there, but does she--and do her parents--really think Eric is prepared to send her to medical school?  Maybe Eric is expecting Leida's father to pay her educational expenses while he enjoys that sweet Indonesian poontang, but is Leida willing to put up with living in squalor (on top of having to fuck Eric) to get her MD?  From minimal searches online, I'm thinking her bachelor's in "medicine" might not transfer, at least not fully, to an American medical school, and she might need to earn an American bachelor's degree in some science--with I would hope some credits transferring.  At any rate, I don't think her acceptance to medical school here is a given, and even then, it's going to take several years for her to earn the right to practice.

And I think she'd be just as happy to have Alessandro go back home with his grandparents and auntie.  If she has any maternal feelings at all, she'll keep that kid out of Eric's clutches.  Not to mention the filthy environment.

• Love 6

I will also add, that I cringed watching Asuelo pushing baby Oliver on the baby swing. The baby was too young and his head was flipping down, but Asuelp didnt notice and kept pushing the swing. Kalani shouldn't leave Oliver alone with Asuelo right now for any length of time, not because hes a bad dad(hes not), but because he is so utterly clueless. Next week we see him pull the baby out of the carseat during a moving car trip - is it cultural, like has he never seen a carseat before ? If his house didnt have walls, I would assume his family didnt own a vehicle, or perhaps there aren't official carseat laws in Samoa like we have here. 

Edited by Lily247
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, doyouevengohere said:

I also don't think Olga schemed to get the American life.  She was just college girl having some fun for a summer and it ended in accidental pregnancy.  I think she truly wants the baby and wants to make it work with Steven.  Steven lucked out with her; b/c there ARE many young women that would have schemed to get pregnant with an American and get themselves over here at any cost.  Olga does not come off that way.  She's probably excited and curious about America, but I get the feeling she would be okay if Steven suddenly had a change of heart and brain and wanted to live there with her.

Olga is probably the only person on this franchise I have ever actually LIKED. Steve better not mess it up. He won't find another cutie like her.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Mothra said:

Absolutely true.  The whole point of the 90 days is to see if they really want to get married.  But the fact remains that Coltie told Larissa--in his mother's presence--that they waited to buy a couch so Larissa could pick one out.  This isn't about testing the waters; it's about living in a house with no living room furniture (unless you count the slot machine, which I definitely *do*) and telling your gf she can buy what she wants except no she can't so we still have no living room furniture.  The result of no living room furniture is to limit interactions among the three of them to meals.  They "live" in their bedrooms, where Larissa isn't going to get to know Debbie and vice versa.  I thought Larissa's rather playful invitation to Debbie to shop ("want to go buy a couch?") was charming, and if Debbie had entered into the fun of looking at furniture--because it *can* be fun, even if--maybe because--the furniture you're looking at is so awful, they might have created a real bond, including making fun of each other's taste.  And still not have bought a couch.  I think they could have had a really good time together:  maybe included lunch and drinks.  I get the feeling that Larissa is trying hard to get to know Debbie, but Debbie's prime directive is to protect Coltie from a gold digger.

Debbie and Coltie, and maybe Eric, too, don't seem to understand that when you've invited someone from another country to stay with you, for whatever reason, you do have an obligation to spend a little money on them, at least a little more money than you normally spend on yourself, if only because there's now one more person.  I think Ashley's party and icky Jon's trip to Myrtle Beach were the kind of thing all these guys should have been doing.  Coltie could at the very least have taken Larissa to his workplace to have her meet his co-workers and see what his job entails, then taken her out to lunch.  Instead, he took her to meet his judgmental cousin, who has known Coltie himself for less than a year.  Coltie is a real sport.

When did they say he knew his cousin less than a year?  

12 minutes ago, Spike said:

When did they say he knew his cousin less than a year?  

It was in the Live show.  Debbie said they moved from Seattle to Las Vegas a year ago, and some of the things she said seemed to indicate they had been out-of-touch with the cousin and either re-connected, or just recently connected.  It was the impression I had as well.

I don't think Leida wants anything to do with being a doctor.  I think she wants to play, and be the next Kardashian-type person (receives money for essentially nothing) and wants to get away from her parents, who seem to be pushing the idea.  

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Kdawg82 said:

Olga is probably the only person on this franchise I have ever actually LIKED. Steve better not mess it up. He won't find another cutie like her.

Yep!  He won't find another cutie like her that actually would want to be with him and that isn't completely crazy and messed up that's for sure!

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, not you again said:

My impression also was that they had been living in Seattle and had moved to Las Vegas less than a year ago, and did not know much about their day to day lives prior to them moving to Vegas.  

Which makes the slot machine, which they said was a present from Debbie's husband who's been dead 15 years or so, all the more intriguing.

Or total BS. 

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

It was in the Live show.  Debbie said they moved from Seattle to Las Vegas a year ago, and some of the things she said seemed to indicate they had been out-of-touch with the cousin and either re-connected, or just recently connected.  It was the impression I had as well.

I don't think Leida wants anything to do with being a doctor.  I think she wants to play, and be the next Kardashian-type person (receives money for essentially nothing) and wants to get away from her parents, who seem to be pushing the idea.  

This exactly

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lily247 said:

I will also add, that I cringed watching Asuelo pushing baby Oliver on the baby swing. The baby was too young and his head was flipping down, but Asuelp didnt notice and kept pushing the swing. Kalani shouldn't leave Oliver alone with Asuelo right now for any length of time, not because hes a bad dad(hes not), but because he is so utterly clueless. Next week we see him pull the baby out of the carseat during a moving car trip - is it cultural, like has he never seen a carseat before ? If his house didnt have walls, I would assume his family didnt own a vehicle, or perhaps there aren't official carseat laws in Samoa like we have here. 

I've said it before, I think the urge to pick up a crying baby is a sign of good instincts, not bad instincts.  I know, carseat, etc., but I bet he truly didn't know, and in the absence of that, I think wanting to comfort your infant son is laudable.   Samoa carseat laws I didn't google, but I did see that there were about 180K people in Samoa and 1800 cars when they switched from right-hand side to left-hand side rules in 2008; so that means roughly 1 car per 100 people.  I think it's reasonable to assume that it's cultural.

I assume that Kalani hovers and picks at and holier-than-thous and croaky-uptalk-vocal-fry-kindergarten-teaches everything about the baby to him, and I wonder if the real things (inappropriate swing; carseat rules (if she even expressed them)) just gets lost in the low signal-to-noise ratio that is her constant hum of disapproval and tsk-ing.  

(But of course I'll be shown wrong by the editors when we get the whole episode next week and see that they are actually driving back from a carseat safety class taught in Samoan.) 

• Love 17
18 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

That's good to know! Hopefully, she'll acclimate then.

17 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

He might have stayed after being in the military in that area. My Marine son was stationed at Camp Lejeune near there for awhile.

Jonathan wasn't in the military.

16 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

The point is her boasting about having a sexy body. So what? She's supposed to. Nothing to brag about or feel must be shown off. Plus, some of it didn't come from hrs at the gym. 

15 hours ago, Lily247 said:

And I get that some people never have an easy time with their weight, unfortunately. I think I just dont like her from what I've seen. Sometimes you see people who cant stop bragging/humble bragging about themselves, and I kind of see that with her. 

Yes, exactly. She is full of herself. And nothing more than what half of other women her age have going for themselves.

5 hours ago, Kangatush said:

I'm totally Team Olga.  I think she's a girl who had an accident while in the US working for the summer who is now doing her best to make the situation work.  She's super stoic.  She just puts her head down and gets the job done.  

She had an accident? LOL An accidental pregnancy!

2 hours ago, Mothra said:

All the other couples are engaged. Colt and Larissa aren't. They have known each other for 5 days. So it is a little more understandable that he would not trust her w/ his credit card. And not trust her to decorate the house, as she might not be staying. Yes, for them it is about testing the waters. They've made no commitment to marry.

Edited by eatsleep
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

No the point of the 90 days is to establish living arrangements and plan the wedding parties. Rather than clearing Customs and seeing a justice of the peace 

• Love 7
16 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

All the other couples are engaged. Colt and Larissa aren't. They have known each other for 5 days. So it is a little more understandable that he would not trust her w/ his credit card. And not trust her to decorate the house, as she might not be staying. Yes, for them it is about testing the waters. They've made no commitment to marry.

Known each other five days?  Thought they were together in Brazil quite a bit.  Do you mean she's only been there in US for 5 days?  And yes, I totally think it's understandable not to give up a credit card.  He hopefully gives her some $$ to have, but credit card to run up?  No way.  I wouldn't do it unless it was one with a very small limit.

5 minutes ago, Raja said:

No the point of the 90 days is to establish living arrangements and plan the wedding parties. Rather than clearing Customs and seeing a justice of the peace 

Yes. The K-1 is a fiancé visa, the intention is that you are engaged to be married and the visa is issued to facilitate the marriage. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

I think he had already asked her to marry him in Brazil, so technically they are engaged, whether or not she has a ring to show for it. The term "engagement" has become very loosely defined when it comes to this show. However, I don't think anyone has ever brought over a foreigner "just to see if they want to pursue a relationship and possibly marriage",,, every single has the full intent to marry within 90 days as far as I can see. 

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, sasha206 said:

Known each other five days?  Thought they were together in Brazil quite a bit.  Do you mean she's only been there in US for 5 days?  And yes, I totally think it's understandable not to give up a credit card.  He hopefully gives her some $$ to have, but credit card to run up?  No way.  I wouldn't do it unless it was one with a very small limit.

I think it was that he asked her to marry him after 5 days.  I really don't care about Colt, his unbalanced woman, or his Smother, so I'm not paying attention much.  I will say that I don't think he's a psychopath just because he's calm and quiet, I don't think Larissa is innocent, and while I think Debbie got a bad edit (as in not explaining about the joint bank account), they all deserve each other.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, sasha206 said:

Ooops, 12 days. They spent 5 days in Mexico. Then 7 more in Brazil.

Yeah, I would hesitate to give someone I've known for 12 days my cc. But then I would also hesitate to bring the person to the US on a K-1 visa after 12 days as well. 

But honestly, why couldn't they have just taken a pic of the sofa and sent it to Colt for the OK? Btwn the Larissa and Debbie (plus cell phones), you'd think they could have handled that better.

I'm still shook over what a mean old hag Debbie looked like in the car on that furniture shopping trip vs how adorable she looked on the Live Show. How does a simple hair trim and box dye job make that much difference!?

Edited by eatsleep
  • Love 4

If Leida really wants to go to medical school in the US she will definitely have to "let" her rich family pay for it.  Really, there is nothing wrong with that if they are willing.  To expect her future husband to pay for that is laughable as she must have realized the moment she walked into that apartment.  To not make sure the place was at least clean and welcoming (no matter how small it is) is just wrong.  Is he that clueless?

Why do these Americans pretend they are rich or let their "fiancees" assume they are. Reality is always going to be a bitch or do they think they will already be in love with them by the time they make it to the USA and see their new reality?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Palomar said:

Why do these Americans pretend they are rich or let their "fiancees" assume they are. Reality is always going to be a bitch or do they think they will already be in love with them by the time they make it to the USA and see their new reality?

I guess the same reason why some ppl on dating sites use old, thin, strangely lit, oddly angled pics in their profile? (Yeah, I don't get that one either...)

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

I guess the same reason why some ppl on dating sites use old, thin, strangely lit, oddly angled pics in their profile? (Yeah, I don't get that one either...)

Or why some people who were in their 90's have a photo of them when they were 16 on their obituary.

• Love 5