Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

That was one tacky sofa that wouldn’t work anywhere but I can see it more easily in the huge gorgeous 1920s Tudor of the real Goldberg’s than the generic suburban tv version home.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
On 11/29/2018 at 4:07 PM, Robert Lynch said:

Always great to see Jonathan Schmock as the auctioneer in this episode.

Every. Single. Time. I see him in anything, I say (usually out loud) "It's the Squiggy of Double Trouble!" Which reminds me, the show has mentioned Square Pegs, but have they mentioned other shows everyone else forgot (Double Trouble, It's Your Move, It's Garry Shandling's Show)? 

• Love 2

Barry thinks he wants a wild, adult bachelor party; but he ultimately realizes Adam's idea of a party to celebrate his brother as a bachelor is more his speed. Meanwhile, Beverly surprises Murray, who never spends money on himself, with an expensive sports car.

I can't believe Murray actually bought a car that ran for two days and they could never fix it again.  This show frequently makes me think that truth is stranger than fiction.  Things from Adam Goldberg's past seem more bizarre than anything they could ever make up.  Was that a brand new car or used?  It's more believable if it was used.  The car dealer probably just patched it together long enough for it to drive off the lot.  Hard to believe there's no kind of warranty on the thing.

I didn't care much about the bachelor party story, but now that they've taken it this far, it's going to be quite the crushing blow to Barry when his relationship with Laney falls apart.  It's odd how the Barry character seems to shout all his lines in the same way.

By the way, Dan Fogler, the actor who plays Uncle Marvin, is now on The Walking Dead.

• Love 9
40 minutes ago, rmontro said:

I didn't care much about the bachelor party story, but now that they've taken it this far, it's going to be quite the crushing blow to Barry when his relationship with Laney falls apart. 

Agree. If Schooled starts before The Goldbergs ends and Barry isn't in Schooled (and I just checked imdb - he's not in it), then we already know how that storyline is going to play out and it is hard to get invested. But I did like the interaction when he asked Adam to be his best man. And how the JTP described *their* version of the bachelor party they would throw. 

• Love 10

I felt like everyone was shouting every line and I hated it.

But Jeff’s “apricot!” was priceless.

I would 1000% go to a bachelor party at an 80’s style arcade right now.  Even if am technically unable to be a bachelor.

• Love 4

Most of the time little inconsistencies about the period don't bother me but the school drop off line really did. I grew up in the 80s and in my town parents rarely drove their kids to school - especially not high school kids.  Even if I can believe Bev did it because they were her schmoopies, most of the rest of the parents wouldn't be there and that coach wouldn't be outside acting like the drop off police. I don't know why it bugged me as much as it did but it really did. 

• Love 5

PULSATIONS!!!!!!!!

Someone I worked with won a party at Pulsations in some radio contest.  Invited the entire company (it was a small company).  I had the best time.

1 hour ago, joanne3482 said:

Most of the time little inconsistencies about the period don't bother me but the school drop off line really did. I grew up in the 80s and in my town parents rarely drove their kids to school - especially not high school kids.  Even if I can believe Bev did it because they were her schmoopies, most of the rest of the parents wouldn't be there and that coach wouldn't be outside acting like the drop off police. I don't know why it bugged me as much as it did but it really did. 

Depends on where you lived.  Some did in my town, others didn't.  I'd think there'd be a lot of parents doing that in the Philly suburbs, though.

• Love 6

I would love to have a Batchelorette party at an old school video arcade! That sounds super fun! Of course they called Uncle Marvin in for bad life choices, and dance clubs that none of them are old enough for, on any level. "APRICOT!!!!"  

It was an easy joke, but I laughed at JTP having trouble hearing in the club, and mixing up VIP with JTP. Complete with Rocky IV robot! I also loved the whole scene where Barry asked Adam to be his best man, that was great. Everyone hug it out! 

So, since I dont think that Barry will be in the spin off, does that make all of this kind of pointless? The wedding for the marriage that we know wont last? Unless Barry is just always offsceen or at his job?

The car is classic Goldburgs, in that its so ridiculous, it has to be based on something that really happened. 

• Love 7
27 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Unless Barry is just always offsceen or at his job?

If the spin-off takes place at the school only, that could be the case.  Personally, I'm disappointed that ABC greenlit this but not the Sue spinoff from The Middle.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

especially not high school kids.  Even if I can believe Bev did it because they were her schmoopies, most of the rest of the parents wouldn't be there and that coach wouldn't be outside acting like the drop off police. I don't know why it bugged me as much as it did but it really did. 

The school is not just a high school, its also a middle school.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm disappointed that ABC greenlit this but not the Sue spinoff from The Middle.

What?! This is the first I've heard of this. There was supposed to be a Sue spinoff? I would've loved that. What was it supposed to be about? Sue being married?

23 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

What?! This is the first I've heard of this. There was supposed to be a Sue spinoff? I would've loved that. What was it supposed to be about? Sue being married?

I find it funny that ABC apparently kicking itself with Grown-ish being a hit and then taking in Schooled instead of Sue Sue in the City. Then acting like Splitting up Together is going to rebound. It's ratings have dropped the last four weeks and most people say it's going to end when it finishes it's order. 

• Love 8

Awwww...that sounds like a charming show. I would love to see Sue conquer the city. It sounds a little like Kimmy Schmidt. Sue was such a sweet girl. I'd like to see her conquer the city and have some success. I wish another channel would pick it up like Freeform or something but I doubt that will happen.

• Love 8

When this episode started, I thought that Uncle Marvin would fit right in. And then he showed up. I appreciate that there wasn't too much of him, as he is best in small doses. Also liked seeing so many recurring characters. Erica was a blip in this episode. Wondered why she was even in it.

Loved Barry/Adam's crying. It's great that even if they fight all the time, they do love each other.

And slightly OT, but I have a feeling Lainey and Barry won't be together in the Schooled show because they case Brett Deier as the male lead and I assume he will be a love interest (total speculation). I imagine that Lainey and Barry will take a break or call it quits.  I thought it odd anyway since Barry is still a senior in high school and a bachelor party for him just seemed off.

Maybe when the Goldbergs ends - assuming Schooled is still on - Barry can transition over there.

Edited by xander874
  • Love 3
On 12/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, readster said:

I find it funny that ABC apparently kicking itself with Grown-ish being a hit and then taking in Schooled instead of Sue Sue in the City. Then acting like Splitting up Together is going to rebound. It's ratings have dropped the last four weeks and most people say it's going to end when it finishes it's order. 

On 12/7/2018 at 12:06 AM, Aryanna said:

Awwww...that sounds like a charming show. I would love to see Sue conquer the city. It sounds a little like Kimmy Schmidt. Sue was such a sweet girl. I'd like to see her conquer the city and have some success. I wish another channel would pick it up like Freeform or something but I doubt that will happen.

I agree, but unfortunately I doubt it will be picked up. 

I would much rather see Sue Sue in the City to see how Sue would conquer the big city rather than watch Schooled which has a lead character that I don't think I'm invested enough in to watch a whole show about. Plus, if Principal Glascott and Coach Mellor are just going to basically do the same shtick on Schooled that they do on The Goldbergs, I'm not really sure I want to see even more of it. If The Goldbergs weren't on the air at the same time, maybe I would watch it then, but if it's going to be pretty similar, I don't really know I want to watch both especially when the past few seasons have made me question whether I still want to watch the original show. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, mortonsalt said:

Plus, if Principal Glascott and Coach Mellor are just going to basically do the same shtick on Schooled that they do on The Goldbergs, I'm not really sure I want to see even more of it.

I like both actors and they would be the main reason I'd tune in. I can't see Lainey as a likable central character. I know what you mean about the shtik. Hopefully they can develop their characters some and not make her so much the focal point, then it might be pretty good.

• Love 3

It's just hard to care about any Lainey storyline right now because we know she won't become a rock star or stay a college drop-out - at some point she'll go back and get her teaching degree and/or certificate and she won't stay with Barry because that Dude-Teacher from the commercials is cute and you can't have 2 cute coworkers in a sitcom without a romance.

I'm annoyed that Barry is still in high school, but the JTP wouldn't work if they weren't in HS -- unless they were in community college but private school kids don't usually go to community college (I'm guessing on that part). 

Sorry, I'm venting - I haven't nothing else to do today. :)

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, justjen said:

It's just hard to care about any Lainey storyline right now because we know she won't become a rock star or stay a college drop-out - at some point she'll go back and get her teaching degree and/or certificate and she won't stay with Barry because that Dude-Teacher from the commercials is cute and you can't have 2 cute coworkers in a sitcom without a romance.

I don't care about Lainey because she's always been the least interesting character on the show, but I'm not assuming that the relationship with Barry won't last.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 5:52 PM, rmontro said:

whatever they call Sue's spinoff from The Middle.  All spinoffs of sitcoms that I like. 

Unfortunately ABC did not pick up  Sue Sue in the City, which I'd much rather watch than some lame show about the least interesting character on the Goldbergs.

• Love 7

Barry is thrilled that he gets to celebrate Christmas now that he is engaged to Lainey; Murray's brother Marvin makes a promise to Adam with a surprising outcome.

More investing in the Barry/Lainey relationship, wow they are really setting this split up to be devastating.  Liked the message at the end about family being the important part of the holidays.

I didn't care much about Adam's subplot (again), but it was nice to see Uncle Marvin redeem himself again.  Sort of.  I wonder if that bit about running a fake preview of "Perish Difficultly in a Tree House" in the local theater really happened?  Dude led a strange life.

The "Yippee Ki Yay Melon Farmer" line was a good example of how TV used to butcher classic movie lines.  Is that the actual line they used to censor over the real one?  I've never seen Die Hard on regular TV.

• Love 11
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Unfortunately ABC did not pick up  Sue Sue in the City, which I'd much rather watch than some lame show about the least interesting character on the Goldbergs.

I know, right?

I don't mind Lainey though.  But I'd rather see almost any character from the Middle with a spinoff than almost any character on the Goldbergs.  It was just a much better show, IMO.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, rmontro said:

The "Yippee Ki Yay Melon Farmer" line was a good example of how TV used to butcher classic movie lines.  Is that the actual line they used to censor over the real one?  I've never seen Die Hard on regular TV.

I don't remember what they did with Die Hard, but I remember vividly that it was "yippee ki yay, Mr. Falcon!" in Die Hard 2 (Die Hard in an airport).

• Love 6
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

More investing in the Barry/Lainey relationship, wow they are really setting this split up to be devastating.  Liked the message at the end about family being the important part of the holidays.

I didn't care much about Adam's subplot (again), but it was nice to see Uncle Marvin redeem himself again.  Sort of.  I wonder if that bit about running a fake preview of "Perish Difficultly in a Tree House" in the local theater really happened?  Dude led a strange life.

I know it's going to be really hard when Barry and Lainey break up. I'm glad that she and her dad at least got one nice Christmas though. 

I didn't care much for the Adam's subplot again either, but it was still miles better than him being obsessed over toys and destroying his dad's stamp collection, so he didn't bother me too much. I really enjoyed the other subplot though with Bev topping herself every day until she just finally gave up. 

Also, it was nice that there was no new Jackie, and I actually liked Erica this episode. I guess it was because there was no singing, and she was barely in the episode. 

2 hours ago, Starscream said:

I don't remember what they did with Die Hard, but I remember vividly that it was "yippee ki yay, Mr. Falcon!" in Die Hard 2 (Die Hard in an airport).

Sometimes I watch this video when I need a laugh. Ridiculous Edited for TV Movie Lines (NSFW)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, mortonsalt said:

I didn't care much for the Adam's subplot again either,

Whereas that was the only part of this episode I enjoyed, because Die Hard is indeed the greatest Christmas movie ever, and 3 of the movie plots Adam suggested actually exist.  (Die Hard on a boat - Under Siege, Die Hard on a bus - Speed & Die Hard in an airport - Die Hard 2)  Well, that and Geoff's enjoyment of Bev's over the top holiday entertainment.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 5

I have been wondering about the spinoff and Laney-Barry as well. 

I am assuming he won't be in the spinoff so wondering how that works out

ALso seems the "girl band" won't make it far given where Laney ends up.  She has to have time to have the band fail, go back to school to get her degree so she can teach and then start at the new school.  That's a good five years at a minimum. 

Have never heard of that car.  Can't believe it is true!

The spinoff in general I am surprised about and not that interested in.  Frankly this show has worn thin on me and pretty much jumped the shark in my mind around the time Erica/Geoff got together.  The couple no one cares about and that makes no sense at all.  No chemistry, they have nothing in common,........ugghhh.  Erica in general has just brought the whole show down for me in the last few years

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Starscream said:

Yippee ki yay, Nama Jama" was the line. It has been used on TV to cartoons since the dub. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, mortonsalt said:

I know it's going to be really hard when Barry and Lainey break up. I'm glad that she and her dad at least got one nice Christmas though. 

And a pretty nice Hanukah too!

19 hours ago, mortonsalt said:

Sometimes I watch this video when I need a laugh. Ridiculous Edited for TV Movie Lines (NSFW)

Some of those aren't bad actually.  Scarface's "This town's like a great big chicken just waiting to be plucked" at least makes sense.

Lol at getting scars from eating pineapple.  I guess he forget to peel it.

• Love 3
On 12/14/2018 at 8:12 AM, proserpina65 said:

Whereas that was the only part of this episode I enjoyed, because Die Hard is indeed the greatest Christmas movie ever,

So much wrong with Adam's plotline, starting with the idea that Adam only saw "Die Hard" because "Ernest Saves Christmas" was sold out. I don't even know where to begin picking that apart.

Scratch that, I do know where to start. And that's with the idea that "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. It takes more than taking place at Christmas for a movie to be a Christmas movie. Calling "Die Hard" a Christmas movie is like saying "A Christmas Story" is about the perils of soap poisoning.

The other storylines weren't much better, but I did get a kick out of Geoff living out his Silver Spoons fantasy.  

• Love 1
On 12/14/2018 at 12:14 AM, rmontro said:

Is that the actual line they used to censor over the real one?  I've never seen Die Hard on regular TV.

I remember Melon Farmer, but maybe that is the mandela effect? 

All of Geoff was me realizing that Christmas stuff was so much more fun than Chanukah stuff for the first time.  

• Love 2
22 hours ago, reggiejax said:

And that's with the idea that "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. It takes

Die Hard is a Christmas movie.  It takes place on Christmas Eve, at a Christmas party, with several different Christmas songs in the musical score, and the whole point of McClain being in LA is him being with his family for Christmas.  There are so many references to Christmas that it's far more of a Christmas movie than something like Home Alone.  I mean, "Now I have a machine gun.  Ho, ho, ho. " (imagine the German accent) is an actual line of dialogue, as is "It's Christmas, Theo, it's the time of miracles. So be of good cheer and call me when you hit the last lock."  Not only is Die Hard a Christmas movie, it's the best one ever.

I do agree that Adam only seeing it because Ernest Saves Christmas was sold out is a bit much, but I'm willing to roll with that.

• Love 8

I had no idea what the real line was for years, as I only saw Die Hard on TV until I was a teenager. Oh, was I shook! 

Geoff's reactions to all the nights of Hanukkah, and then jumping into Christmas mode, was hilarious. Probably the highlight of the episode for me. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 12/16/2018 at 12:44 PM, reggiejax said:

And that's with the idea that "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. It takes more than taking place at Christmas for a movie to be a Christmas movie. Calling "Die Hard" a Christmas movie is like saying "A Christmas Story" is about the perils of soap poisoning.

Somebody thought they were being clever and edgy once by calling it a Christmas movie because no one else had ever thought of calling it that and bunch of people jumped on board so now every Christmas we have to hear all these people defending Die Hard as a Christmas movie.

• Love 1
On 12/17/2018 at 5:33 PM, Aryanna said:

Somebody thought they were being clever and edgy once by calling it a Christmas movie because no one else had ever thought of calling it that and bunch of people jumped on board so now every Christmas we have to hear all these people defending Die Hard as a Christmas movie.

I've never actually seen  Die Hard, but I kind of enjoy how people keep arguing about it.

Edited by SoMuchTV
I never see the typos til the next day!
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I do agree that Adam only seeing it because Ernest Saves Christmas was sold out is a bit much, but I'm willing to roll with that.

Because really where in the world would Ernest Saves Christmas ever be sold out.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Because really where in the world would Ernest Saves Christmas ever be sold out.

Well it did come in number 2 on its opening weekend and came out five months after Dire Hard so who knows!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I have always considered it a Christmas movie since the first time I saw it.  It's got nothing to do with being clever and edgy.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

and came out five months after Dire Hard so who knows!

That's an interesting point.

Die Hard came out in July. That would be like calling Lethal Weapon a Christmas movie because it takes place at Christmas but it came out in March.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, Aryanna said:

That's an interesting point.

Die Hard came out in July. That would be like calling Lethal Weapon a Christmas movie because it takes place at Christmas but it came out in March.

Thematically it's a Christmas movie, regardless of when it was released.  Lethal Weapon, on the other hand, only has the Christmas setting; nothing else about it is Christmassy in the least.

I loved Murray and Pops arguing about melons while Adam was trying to introduce them to the joys of Die Hard.  I can't tell you the number of times I've been trying to show relatives something only to have them fixate on some minor detail.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Thematically it's a Christmas movie, regardless of when it was released.  Lethal Weapon, on the other hand, only has the Christmas setting; nothing else about it is Christmassy in the least.

Mel Gibson being undercover selling Christmas trees.

• Love 2
On 12/16/2018 at 1:44 PM, reggiejax said:

So much wrong with Adam's plotline, starting with the idea that Adam only saw "Die Hard" because "Ernest Saves Christmas" was sold out. I don't even know where to begin picking that apart.

Scratch that, I do know where to start. And that's with the idea that "Die Hard" is a Christmas movie. It takes more than taking place at Christmas for a movie to be a Christmas movie. Calling "Die Hard" a Christmas movie is like saying "A Christmas Story" is about the perils of soap poisoning.

The other storylines weren't much better, but I did get a kick out of Geoff living out his Silver Spoons fantasy.  

I think it's more of a tongue in cheek thing, like DIE HARD is the anti-Christmas movie. A fun alternative to some of the schmaltz that Hollywood usually serves us for the holidays (and I say this as someone who loves both Die Hard and the Hallmark Channel). There are many people who consider it to be their favorite "Christmas movie"; that is not something that Adam or the show came up with.

Edited by mamadrama
  • Love 3