Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/17/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

I record the show every day, and I have it start two minutes into the show.

I did this for years, and now my "new and improved" DVR doesn't allow it.  It even starts every show one minute EARLY.  I used to be able to start after several minutes of "ads" prior to "Masterpiece Theatre" programs...and stop several minutes before the end.  I think a one-hour show took only 40+minutes.  You're SO lucky!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

The date of the announcement was in my original posting:  September 1, 2017 ... and we saw him on camera for a couple of years before that.

That's what I meant. Before that Sep 1, 2017 announcement I thought Brian was already executive producer.

39 minutes ago, SrOfficial said:

Smart!  I wonder why they feel the audience has to be whipped up into a frenzy?  Is it so the participants can feel the love?  It annoys the viewers at home.

They even have a stand up comedian before the taping to warm up the crowd.  I was at a taping earlier in the year, the show is mike'd for TV - we can barely hear the them talking at the table, like you really have to strain to hear them... and you totally can NOT hear Whoopi welcome everyone to the View.  

• Love 5
On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 12:08 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

Well Abby, sugar, if you want to understand the other side, then why don't you and your ilk shut the ever loving fuck up and listen and not pipe in "BUT THE MILITARY. THINK OF THE MILITARY".  and perhaps realize, just realize, that if people would listen to "their side" they wouldn't be kneeling.

Wish I could like this more. Especially the shut the ever loving fuck up.

• Love 7

Oh, Whoops, you never fail to give me a reason to snark at you. Loved the way you just trivialized Chrissy Tiegen's name because you don't know how to pronounce it. "She's married to John Legend so I just call her Chrissy Legend."

Edited by Blissfool
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Oh, Whoops, you never fail to give me a reason to snark at you. Loved the way you just trivialized Chrissy Tiegen's name because you don't know how to pronounce it. "She's married to John Legend so I just call her Chrissy Legend."

Hmmmmmm, Whoopi has never taken on any of her three husbands’ last names. Why should Chrissy have to?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I think she just couldn't remember her name.

And didn't care.

9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

6 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Hmmmmmm, Whoopi has never taken on any of her three husbands’ last names. Why should Chrissy have to?

As soon as I heard her say that I thought WTF.  As if Chrissy isn't a person without being married to her husband.

• Love 5

John Legend said at the Emmy's that Chrissy's real pronunciation of her last name is Ty-gen, but so many people got it wrong, she let it go to Tee-gen.--so she goes by Tee-gen now.

No big whoop  :0.  

And definitely not newsworthy.  

• Love 4
On 9/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

Well Abby, sugar, if you want to understand the other side, then why don't you and your ilk shut the ever loving fuck up and listen and not pipe in "BUT THE MILITARY. THINK OF THE MILITARY".  and perhaps realize, just realize, that if people would listen to "their side" they wouldn't be kneeling.

You know how I know she's full of shit? Because if she truly believed in listening to the other side, she wouldn't still think that kneeling is a protest against the flag and military. She would realize that while she defends her opinion to stand during the anthem, she defends it for no reason because SHE and those who stand are not the ones being shamed, criticized and being called un-American for it. She is one of the many that listens to the other side and then says 'but but but' because she's not actually listening. How much does she expect the other side to entertain her opinions and those who agree with her when their opinions are all embedded in a false notion of what the kneeling protest is about? How long do you entertain people who continually misrepresent you and your intentions no matter how blue in the face you get clarifying that your protest has nothing to do with the military and is actually a protest to a system in America (which promises liberty and freedom to all) that continually fails segments of the American population and that in order to honour what America stands for, these systems need to be better.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, SrOfficial said:

Smart!  I wonder why they feel the audience has to be whipped up into a frenzy?  Is it so the participants can feel the love?  It annoys the viewers at home.

I think because The View is classified as an entertainment show, having a live audience, you want to convey that the audience is in fact having fun and is being entertained by the discussions and guests that are on the show. A lot of live audience shows have pre-show bits to get the crowd into it. Maybe just me, but Whoopi can drop her 'Welcome to the View' bit because I find it hard to believe that anyone just gets totally amped with adrenaline when they hear her say that, lol.

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

You know how I know she's full of shit? Because if she truly believed in listening to the other side, she wouldn't still think that kneeling is a protest against the flag and military. She would realize that while she defends her opinion to stand during the anthem, she defends it for no reason because SHE and those who stand are not the ones being shamed, criticized and being called un-American for it. She is one of the many that listens to the other side and then says 'but but but' because she's not actually listening. How much does she expect the other side to entertain her opinions and those who agree with her when their opinions are all embedded in a false notion of what the kneeling protest is about? How long do you entertain people who continually misrepresent you and your intentions no matter how blue in the face you get clarifying that your protest has nothing to do with the military and is actually a protest to a system in America (which promises liberty and freedom to all) that continually fails segments of the American population and that in order to honour what America stands for, these systems need to be better.

What many don’t understand is that to Abby and others kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful no matter what reason you are doing it for. That’s what she means about both sides. She is listening and says she doesn’t like it. The other side says that they are listening and are not trying to offend the military by kneeling. Both sides are right to a degree. I think that Abby would just prefer them to protest their cause in a different way that would not be offensive to anyone.

• Love 1

I've been to a couple of live tapings. During the pre-show warm up when they have the audience practice their response, they record the audio. Then they use it to augment the response when the hosts come out if the audience response seems a little flat. Have you  noticed sometimes that the audio response sometimes is louder than the visual response you are seeing.  These tapings take quite as while sometimes and the audience is tired of waiting and tired of being coached so their response is sometimes less than in the preshow.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

I think that Abby would just prefer them to protest their cause in a different way that would not be offensive to anyone.

And I say let's let Abby and her ilk choose the best way for others to explain their positions.  Is marching offensive?  Are we allowed to knit little caps?  Are we limited to signing appropriately worded petitions?  Can we carry posters that have not been vetted by the "right people"?   Maybe Abby will give us some ideas.

• Love 22
23 minutes ago, PeterBrady said:

What many don’t understand is that to Abby and others kneeling for the anthem is disrespectful no matter what reason you are doing it for. That’s what she means about both sides. She is listening and says she doesn’t like it. The other side says that they are listening and are not trying to offend the military by kneeling. Both sides are right to a degree. I think that Abby would just prefer them to protest their cause in a different way that would not be offensive to anyone.

Protests are always offensive, whether it's how you protest or what you protest - there will always be people who express discomfort because if it were comfortable, then people wouldn't need to resort to protesting because rational and civil discussion would be enough to effect meaningful change.

I still stand by the opinion that she wasn't listening. She was fixating on the how - that which can be observed. She didn't bother to listen to the 'why'. If she did, it wouldn't have taken her a seat on The View to even ask the question 'well if it's not about the military and flag, is there another way they can protest?'.  Issues of police brutality have existed long before Colin took a knee. People did traditional protests in the street each time a kid in their community was unarmed and gunned down, was misidentified and gunned down, was a toddler and gunned down, was racially profiled and gunned down. The coverage and discussion for these protests didn't last very long. Barring riots and violence, those protests didn't get national coverage beyond that day's news. If Abby and others prefer another way then they should come with the ideas of effective ways to be heard. Kaepernick took a knee more than 2 years ago and the national news and public are STILL talking about it. It's been the most effective in giving the issue a national platform to be discussed, even in light of all of the misinformation and misrepresentation of what the protest represents. And further, Abby and others know that many military and vets support the protest, so why should the protest be changed to suit their personal sensibilities when their sensibilities are subjective? In my books, an example of truly listening is someone like Sara Haines. Someone who doesn't support the protest in its action (meaning she would never personally take a knee during the anthem) but supports the protests in its cause and defends the right of those Americans to protest in that way because it is how they believe they can hopefully effect change.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 12
7 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

Plus, not all POC will kneel for the anthem

And in stadium stands, there's not room for this type of protest for the general public--or many more would.  Think of how few people have "taken a knee" and what an uproar it has caused.  I guess the complaints keep-a-comin' because this protest is effective.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Abby is not supposed to tell people how to protest peacefully as guaranteed by the constitution. Protest is meant to make people uncomfortable and think about why the people are protesting.  Too many Black people are being killed for nothing and Black people are tired of having the same fights about being respected as human beings.  Abby and people like her don't want to think about racial injustice because it makes them feel complicit in a system that has benefited them and disenfranchised people of color.  Plus, not all POC will kneel for the anthem, but, we understand and respect those who do.. That is what it is all about being able to disagree without being disagreeable.  

Whoopi kind of  explained this to Abby,  last week I believe, when she asked a guest if they could do something else to protest.  Abby did not reply.

Remember when Tomi Lahren  was on the Daily Show talking about taking a knee being disrespectful and Trevor asked her what they should do instead?  Silence. She was stumped.

RHJunkie is right, that protests will always be offensive to someone--who is either unaffected by the reason for the protest, uncaring about the reason, or maybe obtuse to making an effort to understand, because again, it doesn't affect them, or they hold their own reason for the as the ONLY reason for maintaining the status quo.  It just doesn't matter to them.

Maybe instead of listening, panel and guests could talk about trying empathetic hypothetical situations, stats on deaths/imprisonment of people of color v. white people,  or explaining the white backpack (privilege), or at least, acknowledging the pain, fear, and anger when family/people of color are killed disproportionately to white people.

Sigh. 

I think Abby is hypocritical on this issue with the phony "listening to the other side" crap.

Edited by Tosia
Don't trust her.
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, PeterBrady said:

So why does what Abby want take precedence over what someone else wants?  Abby is free not kneel in protest but she doesn't get the right to not want anyone else to.

• Love 13
55 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I just tuned in and they're talking about medicinal marijuana and lobsters.

What the hell? I'm confused.

Well, Whoopi didn't do a great idea of explaining it. A lobster restaurant in Maine plans to get lobsters high (upon customers' request) prior to cooking them. They tried an experiment (but didn't cook the lobster) and their subject seemed calmer when he was put back in the live-lobster tank.

CBS news story

Why is Whoopi on, on a Friday? Shit. It's not Thursday, right? Is it because Meghan is still out? I mean, I guess I'll take it, but I was looking forward to a Whoopi-free Friday. That said, I laughed out loud when she snarked, after Sunny put on her fake baby voice and said, "Some scientists say [lobsters] don't [feel pain], but then there's some scientists that say that they do, and I don't want be the person that causes them pain." (<-- Pretend those italics are baby-voice font.)

Whoopi: "REALLY? OH MY GOD!" 

First time I really enjoyed Abby was when she said if lobsters cannot feel pain, the weed is wasted on them. 

• Love 3

The main reason I watch The View is that they cover topics that 99% of the country have to deal with like whether or not to get their lobsters high before eating them. Next week, I understand that they will be doing segments on choosing which luxury car is best for your family and how to store your minks so bugs don't eat them. So helpful.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Tosia said:

John Legend said at the Emmy's that Chrissy's real pronunciation of her last name is Ty-gen, but so many people got it wrong, she let it go to Tee-gen.--so she goes by Tee-gen now.

No big whoop  :0.  

And definitely not newsworthy.  

Chrissy instagrammed a video confession last week about the pronunciation, “coming clean” about how the public says her name wrong. This is what Whoopi was referring to...she wasn’t just randomly calling her by her husband’s last name. It was a joke that fell flat.

• Love 3

I thought if an animal can move, it has a nervous system; if it has a nervous system, it can feel pain. I do eat lobster, but I buy them already dead.

I loathe AH-bby, but I did giggle when she said that it's a waste of pot 

I didn't used to  like Jane, but she was ok today.

Edited by ari333
  • Love 3
38 minutes ago, Morgalisa said:

Hmmm. Sometimes they screech and claw at the pan when you drop them in the boiling water. I cooked lobster one time and couldn't eat it and never have since then.

I don't know what you heard, but they don't have vocal cords and cannot screech, which Whoopi mentioned on the show. When steam escapes the shell, it makes a sound. Maybe you heard that?

Since lobsters don't have brains, scientists are split on whether or not they feel pain and how they experience any stimuli. What Whoopi was trying to say toward the end of the segment (but then she lost the plot) was that if you put a lobster in a pot of non-boiling water, he would also try to get out. She made it about the water, rather than the confines of the pot, when she was arguing back. 

This show is such a hot mess. 

1 minute ago, ari333 said:

I thought if an animal can move, it has a nervous system; if it has a nervous system, it can feel pain. I do eat lobster, but I buy them already dead.

I loathe AH-bby, but I did giggle when she said that it's a waste of pot 

I didn't used to  like Jame, but she was ok today.

Here's a pretty fair (but inconclusive) discussion of the subject

I like Jane well enough. I really enjoyed Cheryl Hines. I wish her segment hadn't turned into a product placement. See: hot mess. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

Abby is not supposed to tell people how to protest peacefully as guaranteed by the constitution. Protest is meant to make people uncomfortable and think about why the people are protesting.  Too many Black people are being killed for nothing and Black people are tired of having the same fights about being respected as human beings.  Abby and people like her don't want to think about racial injustice because it makes them feel complicit in a system that has benefited them and disenfranchised people of color.  Plus, not all POC will kneel for the anthem, but, we understand and respect those who do.. That is what it is all about being able to disagree without being disagreeable.

To me, the kneeling is about the most peaceful way to protest. A large audience to see you quietly say, enough.

• Love 14

I did enjoy today's show. No yelling, just women talking.  I'm not throwing shade, but it was obvious that Whoopi has difficulty reading the teleprompter. Of course reading Trumps tweets can be difficult.

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, General Days said:

I really enjoyed Cheryl Hines. I wish her segment hadn't turned into a product placement.

The segment wasn't Cheryl's.  It belonged to the sponsor.  Seems like we're going to have more and more of those commercials sneaking up on us.

• Love 4

The law isn't designed to support the stories of victims of rape and/or assault. The law prescribes the accuser must bear the burden of proof but it's hard to have tangible evidence when you are the victim of a crime that is often specifically perpetrated at times and places that doesn't lend to having many witnesses or leaving behind much irrefutable evidence. The fact that any kind of controversy lends to people making death threats to people and often stalking and harassing them, it demonstrates the amount of unhinged and irrational people that walk among us and that type of behaviour should be taken seriously. Those kinds of people shouldn't be able to walk freely among rational minded people who know better than to threaten harm to a stranger because you don't like something they've said.

If I cared that much, I just wouldn't eat the lobster. I'm not paying extra money anywhere so that my lobster can get high before I eat it. Put it into the cold water and slowly increase the heat to a slow boil. I've read that the lobster will slowly acclimate to the rising temperature and doesn't actually realize it's cooking. Though I'm sure that probably throws off traditional cooking times that recipes give you.

Jane Fonda looks great. She's used cosmetic surgery the right way and probably has a great doctor. I've never followed much of Fonda's career but I know her much more prominently as someone in the entertainment industry that always stood for something and let the world know it.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Haleth said:

I think she just couldn't remember her name.

She actually said her name, but said she didn't know how to pronounce it--whether it was Tee-gen or Ty-gen--and that she was just going to go with Legend.

As for today's show, what an idiot Whoopi is to pretend a lobster isn't going to feel pain when it's being boiled alive. I'm not a vegetarian, but there are ways for animals to be killed humanely that they feel as little pain / misery as possible. Unfortunately, you have people like Whoopi and Abby--the latter of which, of course, barely cares about humans, much less ask her to give a care for animals--who think humans alone can feel pain when they're hurt or dying. The ability to feel pain is a necessity for animals to know how to survive in nature. Nobody's saying they're necessarily capable of having complex thought or emotions, but animals do feel pain.

• Love 8

Lobsters have decentralized nervous systems.  I'm remembering this from from an article on lobsters from 1999 so bear with me but it's something like they have 8 "brains,"  which is why they have to be killed by being boiled or by that intense knife method. 

But I've never heard that lobsters don't feel pain.

Edited by LakeGeorg
  • Love 2

This was the first time I wanted Meghan to be on the show. I would have loved to see what she said to Jane Fonda about the Vietnam war and how the US shouldn't have been there in the first place.

Other than that, I feel like the Whoopi, Joy and Sunny are starting to get comfortable with Abby and she's starting to feel the same way about them. Her joke about the pot was funny too. I still don't agree with Abby on a lot of things, but her views are her views and she isn't trying to badger people to believe in her or fight for her side. She shares her piece and, unlike Meghan, I feel like she listens. Plus she seems sweet. I would believe Sunny if she said they hang out after the show.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

She actually said her name, but said she didn't know how to pronounce it--whether it was Tee-gen or Ty-gen--and that she was just going to go with Legend.

As for today's show, what an idiot Whoopi is to pretend a lobster isn't going to feel pain when it's being boiled alive. I'm not a vegetarian, but there are ways for animals to be killed humanely that they feel as little pain / misery as possible. Unfortunately, you have people like Whoopi and Abby--the latter of which, of course, barely cares about humans, much less ask her to give a care for animals--who think humans alone can feel pain when they're hurt or dying. The ability to feel pain is a necessity for animals to know how to survive in nature. Nobody's saying they're necessarily capable of having complex thought or emotions, but animals do feel pain.

I believe Abby mention that she can't cook lobster since they're boiled alive. Joy mention that she can't eat it and Abby said, "me too."

• Love 9

Favorite part of the Jane Fonda interview, Abby starts with "you've done a lot of controversial things...." Jane interjects "you think?".   She was anticipating the Hanoi Jane question from her and letting her know to bring it.   Which Abby did not.  Felt like Abby was not even comfortable asking the question.   Like it was the question given to her because shes the conservative on the panel today, rather than because she had an interest in the answer.  

• Love 9
7 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

So why does what Abby want take precedence over what someone else wants?  Abby is free not kneel in protest but she doesn't get the right to not want anyone else to.

Nowadays everyone has the right to be offended about just about anything. That’s what America is all about.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Especially since Legend isn't his real name. His real last name is Stephens. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, RHJunkie said:

The law isn't designed to support the stories of victims of rape and/or assault. The law prescribes the accuser must bear the burden of proof but it's hard to have tangible evidence when you are the victim of a crime that is often specifically perpetrated at times and places that doesn't lend to having many witnesses or leaving behind much irrefutable evidence. The fact that any kind of controversy lends to people making death threats to people and often stalking and harassing them, it demonstrates the amount of unhinged and irrational people that walk among us and that type of behaviour should be taken seriously. Those kinds of people shouldn't be able to walk freely among rational minded people who know better than to threaten harm to a stranger because you don't like something they've said.

If I cared that much, I just wouldn't eat the lobster. I'm not paying extra money anywhere so that my lobster can get high before I eat it. Put it into the cold water and slowly increase the heat to a slow boil. I've read that the lobster will slowly acclimate to the rising temperature and doesn't actually realize it's cooking. Though I'm sure that probably throws off traditional cooking times that recipes give you.

Jane Fonda looks great. She's used cosmetic surgery the right way and probably has a great doctor. I've never followed much of Fonda's career but I know her much more prominently as someone in the entertainment industry that always stood for something and let the world know it.

I had difficulty replying to this topic. Why women don't report rape. Because you're made a victim again, made to feel like a whore. You go through a horrible experience and then are made to feel like you somehow at fault. Yeah, why don't we step forward more often?

Lobsters aren't shrieking, it is their shells. At least I tell my self that.

Edited by nokat
Lobster
  • Love 12

Jane Fonda is a contradiction.  Instead of criticizing Canadian Prime Minister Trudeau on the basis of policy, she says:

https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/08/01/dont-trust-good-lookin-liberals-jane-fonda-rips-justin-trudeau-over-oil-pipeline-decision/

And, she talks about how she had to deal with her father and others criticizing her looks and wanting her to be something else.  As in, slim and beautiful.  And she has spent her entire life to do just that, with exercise and surgery and botox.  She is not an example of women aging beautifully and naturally.  Quite the opposite, with surgery, botox and probably starving herself. Yay for her thinking life in her 70s is great.

• Love 7