Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I was rooting for Trisha, but Jackie is a great player. I think that BMS were needed for Sgt. Pepper, Long, & FJ. I have always thought that Lipton was an American brand. FJ was easy to figure out. From the street name the answer was clearly Welsh, and Welsh poet = Thomas. That's Dylan Thomas to you, Jackie. 

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

She got away with that, yet when the man player answered "Arizona," Trebek shouted "NO!" and Jackie (I think) buzzed in with University of Arizona. Arizona should have either been accepted or the player asked for BMS. Other times judges have been fine with university answers of just the state. We've had extended discussions about just that topic here.

Judging on this show is manic depressive. Never know which end of the spectrum a player is going to get.

For me too! It was obviously Welsh, so I immediately shouted "RABBIE BURNS!" and was so excited and happy that I got another FJ this week. Too late it sunk in (like when the answer was revealed) that Burns is Scottish. As a Scot myself, I am shamed.

Eric simply answered Arizona, & naming the state is usually shorthand for 'University of _____'. Then Jackie rang in with ASU. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Casserole and hyperbole kind of surprised me as a TS, but that was it for the night.

I got casserole then I got hyperbole, but I didn't put the two together. Duh. That category was tough for me.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

She got away with that, yet when the man player answered "Arizona," Trebek shouted "NO!" and Jackie (I think) buzzed in with University of Arizona. Arizona should have either been accepted or the player asked for BMS. Other times judges have been fine with university answers of just the state. We've had extended discussions about just that topic here.

As a twice graduate of the University of Arizona, it's not the same school as Arizona State, thank goodness! (There is a huge rivalry between the two, and we don't like being confused for each other.)

Jackie is on a roll. She's a solid player.

I had Lipton, Harvard, casserole and hyperbole, bargain bin, Okeechobee, and FJ simply by focusing on the spelling of his hometown. I thought it was a good game.

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Today's FJ was an instaget for me, so my theory is holding -- either it's an instaget or I am clueless.  But Jackie should have had a BMS for it.  Just Thomas seems inadequate.

The thing is, they don't do BMS for Final Jeopardy.  They either accept what you wrote, or they don't.  That's one of the things we were told by the contestant coordinators before going on the show:  Make your FJ response as full as you think necessary, because Alex is not going to ask you to expand on it.

I was also surprised at the Triple Stumper for Hamburg.  I thought the Beatles' time in Hamburg was pretty well-known.  That experience, according to most accounts, is what turned them into the tight little band they were.  But maybe you have to be a Beatles fan to know about that.

Jackie's a good player, with an impressive breadth of knowledge.  According to her wikipedia page, she speaks French and Italian.  She also seems to be a regular trivia junkie.  I don't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread, but she's also been a contestant on The Chase and on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't remember if it's been mentioned in this thread, but she's also been a contestant on The Chase and on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Here's Jackie's Millionaire appearance. She was on in a weird era where they randomized the money amounts and gave each question a topic title

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Eric simply answered Arizona, & naming the state is usually shorthand for 'University of _____'. Then Jackie rang in with ASU. 

I was one arguing this point back when the state was Iowa. I STILL say Trebek should have said BMS instead of NO, to give Eric a chance to, well, BMS, by saying University of Arizona, or Arizona State. Geez, give the guy a chance.

I had no problem with Jackie answering "Thomas" for FJ. Last names only are accepted for all but the odd answer. We should know since there is always a discussion about it here afterward. "Kit Carson."

Funny that posters here are saying "Arizona" is okay for that answer, but "Thomas" is not enough information for that answer.

I like Jackie. She has a good sense of humor and is well rounded in her knowledge of just about everything. I would like her as a friend IRL because, like her, I am also easily bored. We could go on adventures together (since she is "happily divorced").

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Roaster said:

So I just looked on youtube and found Jackie's Dating Game appearance.  She was using the name Jackie Fox at the time:

Jeez, is there any show she hasn't been on?

15 hours ago, Bastet said:

Lake Okeechobee is an answer I perpetually stumble over since The X-Files, which early on included an episode set on Lake Okoboji. 

I always try to say Lake Ocheekobee for some reason.  I've done it so often, I usually can't remember which is correct.

57 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

was one arguing this point back when the state was Iowa. I STILL say Trebek should have said BMS instead of NO, to give Eric a chance to, well, BMS, by saying University of Arizona, or Arizona State. Geez, give the guy a chance.

I think the difference is that, when it comes to universities, the name of the state alone is generally accepted to be "the University of" whichever state.  I wouldn't have complained if Alex had said bms, but I'm fine with the No as well.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I think the difference is that, when it comes to universities, the name of the state alone is generally accepted to be "the University of" whichever state.  I wouldn't have complained if Alex had said bms, but I'm fine with the No as well.

That's the difference exactly.  I actually would have had a big problem with a BMS there, because Arizona State is not a "more specific" instance of Arizona.  They're two completely different and unrelated institutions.  No one (I mean, no one) who attended Arizona State would ever say, "I went to Arizona."

• Love 9
3 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

No one (I mean, no one) who attended Arizona State would ever say, "I went to Arizona."

And that is why I have a problem with this. The short-cut phraseology is fine for people who went to those schools. But I attended a private college so am not afflicted with this in-crowd speak. If someone tells me they graduated from Iowa, I am going to ask, "Iowa City or Ames?" No kidding.

This horse was beaten to death in the previous discussion we had here on this topic. Luckily, the horse can't feel it is once again being abused. I still feel sorry for it though.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

that is why I have a problem with this. The short-cut phraseology is fine for people who went to those schools. But I attended a private college so am not afflicted with this in-crowd speak

If it’s not just people who go to those schools its common for Univerity of Arizona to be called Arizona vs Arizona State U of Michigan goes by Michigan versus Michigan State, U of Washington is Washington versus Washington State, etc. for most schools that use that structure. The notable exception is California who have a lot of schools with in the two systems so go by the city. Though if you just say Cal most people will assume Berkeley.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 7

From this forum, at least, we should all realize that some people may think everyone knows a particular fact, while other people have never heard of it.  Doesn't make anyone a dumbass.  

• Love 6

Only one ts for me last night, plus fours, plus the missed DD of bargain bin.

Instaget FJ.

I do not understand Eric's drawing.

If this quote about Bull is still here, it means nothing. I don't know how it got here and I don't know how to get rid of it.  Ctrl + right click usually works but is not working in this case.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, Driad said:

From this forum, at least, we should all realize that some people may think everyone knows a particular fact, while other people have never heard of it.  Doesn't make anyone a dumbass.  

I wasn’t suggesting that anyone was a dumbass just that Arizona versus Arizona State is not obscure or incorrect it’s what their sports teams go by and what is frequently used when they are talked about. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I wasn’t suggesting that anyone was a dumbass

I wasn't suggesting that you were.  But if Saber felt bad about it, I wanted to point out that she didn't need to.

• Love 2

I'm the dumbass for thinking for even a second that a BMS in FJ was even feasible or made any sense. As usual, I will blame my dumbassness on my husband, my kids, or wine. Take your pick...lol  

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 4
Just now, biakbiak said:

Blame your husband and kids for making you drink the wine then all the bases are covered.

I like the way you think!

I can also blame sugar withdrawal since I'm really missing the 24-hour ice cream availability on my cruise ship last week. I may have hit it up once or twice (a day)   

• Love 1

According to this, Jackie suffered a medical emergency during the taping of today's (Thursday's) game. Which explains a lot. I read this news after seeing the episode, and while it was clear she did not play well at all, I didn't notice any specific moment that made me go, "What's goin' on?"

Or did I just miss something? My attention was somewhat divided. I did pop over to CNN a few times during the game. 

• Love 3

Well, give me an asterisk on an instaget (for me) FJ!  Most of what I know about Mozart comes from Amadeus, and I have a vague recollection that that final piece was called Requiem.  So that's what I said.  Go, me.  (Though after googling, I suppose I should be more specific and say Requiem in D Minor.  LOL)

I was a little sad no one remembered Hope and Crosby.  I guess they were before the contestants' time.  Or perhaps that was around the time Jackie had her medical emergency?  Seemed like she might have known it.  I wonder if Andrew's performance would have been so dominating if she'd been in better health.

I did like Andrew's Confucius-ism for Alex, though. 

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, rubaco said:

According to this, Jackie suffered a medical emergency during the taping of today's (Thursday's) game. Which explains a lot. I read this news after seeing the episode, and while it was clear she did not play well at all, I didn't notice any specific moment that made me go, "What's goin' on?"

Or did I just miss something? My attention was somewhat divided. I did pop over to CNN a few times during the game. 

I wonder if they'll have her back because of it. I watched it after learning about her medical problem and watched for it. I think it must have happened during the first half of the show. She did seem pretty out of it for most of the game, though. I assume she must have told the producers that she felt well enough to continue but she clearly wasn't on top of her game. At the end, Alex shook hands with all the players as he normally does, but he really held her hand and they seemed to be having a longish conversation. She waved her hand as if to say she was fine, didn't mind or something along those lines.

I missed FJ too. Boo hiss.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, rubaco said:

oh my - I guess that might explain the answer of '411' for 'what number do you call in an emergency?' - I was thinking that was a kid's 200-level question.  I hope she's all right.

• Love 3

It seemed from the interview I saw with Jackie that her stupendously bad answer and subsequent "something bad is happening; we need to stop to get her help" break occurred before the interviews, but while she was clearly sluggish, the only "Huh?" wrong answer I saw was 411 instead of 911 and that occurred in DJ.  So I'm not sure what happened when, and what got edited out.  But never knowing how you'd have done if not for hypoglycemia sucks, whatever the timing.

Speaking of the 911 clue, that was ridiculous in DJ; at that level, they should have had to name the British counterpart, not our own emergency services number.  And a picture of Nelson Mandela in DJ?

Unlike in the Teen Tournament, tonight I did very well with the TV category even though I don’t watch any of the shows.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was a little sad no one remembered Hope and Crosby.

I did! It was before my time, but I grew up with a love of old movies, so there you are!

That was the only TS I got.

For FJ I just said The Magic Flute because it was one of two Mozart pieces I could think of, the other being The Marriage of Figaro. I figured neither was correct, but I didn't have another guess. It's been quite a while since I've seen Amadeus.

• Love 6

Thanks for that link about Jackie being struck ill rubaco. I thought she did great to make it to four games as champ as I've noticed players seen to tap out after three. So her lack of play didn't surprise me, just made me sad as she had been so keen in previous games. I, too, hope she is okay.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I didn’t get Eric’s drawing either.

It was a shrug as created by keyboard characters. You know, like the "duh" that is :-P  and smile that is :-)  or surprise that is  :-O. Not sure if I can recreate it but here goes:     \_(**)_/      Crumb. I don't know how to make the hands or the face. So that's just an alien guy tossing something into the air.

If Jackie had bet nothing for FJ, she could have cashed out with an extra cool thousand.

The Emily Post clue about men taking their hats off inside being proper etiquette struck home for me. Last time I ate out, I sat and looked around the restaurant that was full. Nearly every guy in there was wearing a ball cap or hat of some sort, and I thought how rude all of them were being. As an aside, watching guys come into the restaurant wearing sweat pants or dirty jeans like they just crawled out from under their truck was normal. And this was a higher-level eatery, on the expensive side.

And I remember the days when people dressed up to take an airline flight. *sigh*

FJ category: I bet zero. FJ clue revealed: I bet zero. FJ answer revealed: I bet zero. There should be a contest asterisk for FJs one doesn't know even after the answer is revealed.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

And I remember the days when people dressed up to take an airline flight. *sigh*

I'm so old I still dress nicely for flights.  Probably more comfortably than my parents, but there are still standards to maintain, right?

• Love 4

Thank goodness for my love of Milos Forman films! I got Requiem right away, but only because I love Amadeus. The only TS I got was Hope and Crosby, but I grew up in the pre-cable and VCR era when watching old films on tv was the only option late nights while babysitting. Also, Hope, Crosby, and Dorothy Lamour were frequent guests on late night talk shows. 

• Love 6

I'm curious to see what will happen re Jackie's illness. If they could bring back that guy (can't be bothered looking up his name) for mis-seeing the FJ board and thus giving an answer that made no sense ("Carl Sagan" for "tree hugger") it seems to me they could give her a do-over. OTOH, there have been others who played badly while unwell--I think this happened to the famous (among J! fans) Julia Collins--and they never got second chances.

Not too surprised about Hope and Crosby as TS's, a bit surprised by Justified. I thought Alex's "NOOO!" for the answer of Laurel and Hardy uncalled for. It wasn't the silliest guess ever.

Like others, I got FJ primarily because of "Amadeus." Otherwise, I would have guessed "The Magic Flute." I recall reading somewhere that there were rumors Mozart was poisoned because the opera supposedly gave away Masonic secrets.

I agree about the sloppy dress in fancy restaurants, but am pleased that the custom of dressing up for airline flights has gone the way of the dodo. They're uncomfortable enough without pantyhose or neckties.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, rubaco said:

We had a possible tornado in the viewing area (but very far away from where I live) so I missed quite a bit of the middle part of J!  The 411 answered was puzzling, so that does explain a lot!  When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, and we were working to get my meds right, etc., I had several bouts of hypoglycemia, and it is scary when it happens.

My FJ answer was Golden Flute - I couldn't even get the wrong answer correct!

• Love 3

I’m glad to have an explanation as to why Jackie did so poorly. She did seem out of character last night. I hope her surgery goes smoothly and she has a speedy recovery. Shallow note: She did look like she got the ends trimmed on her hair. 

Andrew did well, but at first I was a little confused by his facial tics.

I’m sure PaulaO and Saber joined me by getting the TS of Justified. 

I also got fluid, Cosby and Hope, Signal Corp, and umpire. I didn’t get FJ, but knew it had to be about death. 

I wonder if Jackie I’ll be asked back. I doubt it, but what a twist of fate to have a medical issue in the middle of a game. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Well, give me an asterisk on an instaget (for me) FJ!  Most of what I know about Mozart comes from Amadeus, and I have a vague recollection that that final piece was called Requiem.  So that's what I said.  Go, me.  (Though after googling, I suppose I should be more specific and say Requiem in D Minor.  LOL)

Us too. We kept going - it's the Requiem, what was it called? The Requiem, dammit. When they accepted Requiem, we high fived. Seemed strange, because it seems like it's just saying the name of the dirge is "dirge." But what do I know?

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Speaking of the 911 clue, that was ridiculous in DJ; at that level, they should have had to name the British counterpart, not our own emergency services number.

I had exactly the same thought. (imo, 999 is a better solution, because when you're upset and fingers are shaking, being able to punch/tap the same number seems more useful)

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

The only flights I was on in those days were military (dependents being hauled around). So of course our fathers wore uniforms, and my mom may have been dressed up (as she always ways anyway). But as a kid, I didn't have to wear hose and high heels.

10 hours ago, Brookside said:

I'm so old I still dress nicely for flights.  Probably more comfortably than my parents, but there are still standards to maintain, right?

I dress presentably - but casually. I mean, I don't wear sweats, but I choose my clothes for a flight with comfort in mind, not fashion. So my standards are basically, no holes, no large stains, and it covers my body loosely.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I had exactly the same thought. (imo, 999 is a better solution, because when you're upset and fingers are shaking, being able to punch/tap the same number seems more useful)

But back in the days when folks still had rotary dials, it would take for*ever* for the dial to spin back. Could make a significant difference in an emergency. My mom had a rotary dial for a very long time after "touch tone" phones were invented.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I agree about the sloppy dress in fancy restaurants, but am pleased that the custom of dressing up for airline flights has gone the way of the dodo. They're uncomfortable enough without pantyhose or neckties.

I saw a show (hosted by Gillian Anderson!) where they said you shouldn't wear pantyhose on a flight. In case there's a fire, they'll melt & stick to your skin, causing serious burns.  Seems to me that should apply to anywhere there might be a fire, not just on planes.

• Love 3

Apparently Jackie was a very popular champ, so she might be invited back. I hope so. I liked her. Especially her sense of humor.

For the record, I wouldn't eat anything before the taping, either. I'd just drink lots (and lots) of caffeine.

Wow on the video of The Dating Game (and thanks for posting it). Jackie asked LOL questions and looked drop-dead gorgeous.

So, naturally, I had to compose a verse substituting matzo balls and chicken soup for roses and violets.

Matzo balls are delish and chicken soup is healthy, I hope I choose someone handsome and wealthy. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

Jackie gave more details about what happened during the Thursday show on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jeopardy/comments/a7v6y7/jeopardy_recap_for_thur_dec_20/ec62xzf/

I liked the other contestants and Andrew played a great game, but I was sorry to see Jackie go, especially given the circumstances.

Thanks for that link, krankydoodle. Wow, that's scary, and it's admirable that she carried on. I'm such a wimp that I can't even imagine being stressed by the experience of competing in the game in the first place, as well as appearing on TV (OK, that part she was probably comfortable with) and then getting seriously ill on top of all that. I would have been a puddle on the floor, myself.

I liked her even though I totally get why she annoyed some of you folks.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But back in the days when folks still had rotary dials, it would take for*ever* for the dial to spin back. Could make a significant difference in an emergency. My mom had a rotary dial for a very long time after "touch tone" phones were invented.

Fair point. My first phones were rotary dial as well - in my head I thought of this as being implemented post rotary dials (hangers on to old tech - then and now - don't get a lot of consideration). But the decisions were made in 1968. Still, seems like 111 would be easier and faster. But there's probably a reason for that too.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Thank goodness for my love of Milos Forman films! I got Requiem right away, but only because I love Amadeus.

Lots of posters have said they got FJ because of the movie Amadeus. I'm the opposite. I can name all the actors and characters they played, the year it came out and the Oscars it won. But knowing the name of that requiem Requiem? Never in a zillion years.

7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

a bit surprised by Justified.

Ha ha! WRONG! See below.

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Shallow note: She did look like she got the ends trimmed on her hair. 

Kick me, I didn't notice, and I'm the one who wanted to trim her hair for her. I groom show dogs, I would do a good job.

I’m sure PaulaO and Saber joined me by getting the TS of Justified. 

This was a missed clue/answer on a previous Jeopardy, the contestant answered Justified and was wrong, and no one else buzzed in. The horse is Justify. I know, I know, it's confusing if you watched the Timothy Olyphant show (which was great, BTW, highly recommend). Side note: I saw Bob Baffert when I attended the Keeneland Yearling Sale some years ago. It was, in my world, better than seeing Elvis. (And I've been to Michigan Burger Kings.)

I wonder if Jackie I’ll be asked back.

I've forgotten the reason that the Puppy Killer Pyramid Guy was invited back, but his winning three then two games with months in between got him into TofC. I'd be happy if Jackie got called back and won at least one more game. Her having a health scare is a pretty good reason, but, as always, no one asked me.

ETA: Does anyone know when 911 was instituted? The rotary-dial thing is a valid reason to go with the ones. I had a rotary for the longest time, and would get irritated when recorded messages would say "Press one for ... whatever."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Uh, no, I didn’t get Justified.  I’ve never heard of it.  I thought Jackie didn’t look quite right on Thursday ‘s game.  I know nothing about Mozart, so I answered Cossi Fan Tutti.  

Poor Jackie! On the bright side her hypoglycemic episode was the catalyst for her getting treatment for a previously undiagnosed condition, for which she will have surgery next month. Hope all goes well. 

TS I got were Justify and Bob Hope & Bing Crosby. FJ was an instaget. 

The Prince clue in the Clues Across America category was as instaget the second 'Paisley Park' flashed on the screen. 

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

The Prince clue in the Clues Across America category was as instaget the second 'Paisley Park' flashed on the screen. 

Yes, no kidding. Same here. Side note: Prince's plane landed here during the night when he was having an "episode of the flu." He died a couple weeks later, from the same "flu." There was some talk of the local hospital being sued, then it sort of went away when the real cause of death became public.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PaulaO said:

Uh, no, I didn’t get Justified.  I’ve never heard of it.

The clue was about the second Bob-Baffert-trained horse to win the Triple Crown, American Pharoah and this horse, Justify. (And yes, Pharoah is the correct spelling.) Justify accomplished this in 2018, so it's recent news. The horse had six starts, six wins, and brought home $3.798 million. He was retired a month later due to an ankle problem, which opened up the Breeder's Cup for another horse's owner to pocket a cool few million.

Looking at yesterday’s questions, I DID get Justify!  I thought you were referring to the tv show Justified.  The grand sire of both my horses was Foolish Pleasure, who won the 1975 Derby.

• Love 3

Well, I'm glad I can start watching again tonight, but I do wish Jackie well with her health issue.  My dislike of watching her on my tv does not mean I want bad things to happen to her.  Now, Austin, on the other hand . . . I kid, I kid.

• Love 5

Both Mother Grundoon and I noticed Jackie just fading fast last night and after several other times she had come from behind it seemed odd.  Glad she is okay and getting help.  She wasn't my favorite champ but I wouldn't object if she got an invite back in the circumstances.

As a loyal Son of the Desert (or daughter of), Laurel and Hardy was a bad answer.  As an old movie fan, everyone should see at least one Hope-Crosby Road picture.

Have discovered a new nightmare category for me - Scientific Terms.  How to feel like an idiot for all values, Alex?

• Love 6