Type keyword(s) to search

Something Unexpected: Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, Former Nun said:

That's Bridget's story.  I didn't see it that way at all. Emiley specifically mentioned Bridget would "just be sitting in the parking lot."  That's what Diego's parents did.  All Bridget had to say was, "That's fine.  The weather's good, my sister and the baby will be happy to wait for you."  But then Bridget wouldn't be able to bitch, whine, and cry.

Emiley explained that NO ONE could come inside during tryouts.  TLC put up a little disclaimer that NO CAMERAS were allowed inside.  Emily and a friend (also trying out) got a ride--most likely after a Bridget Hissy Fit. Bridget has selective hearing...she only hears things she can throw back to hurt her daughter.  I'm amazed that Emiley seems so sweet and well-balanced.  I bet Bridget turned into a shrew the moment Emiley could talk.

Also, weren't Bridget and her sister invited to "go out to eat" with everyone after tryouts?  Bridget, the QUEEN of Passive-Aggressive, declined...in a snit.

And when Emily was coming out from the tryouts and said she made it her mom was sitting in the car with sour while everyone else was exited for Emily. She is just absolutely horrible to her daughter and turns everything into her being the victim in some diabolical plan from Emily. When Emily was crying at the TH couch you could see the hurt on her face but her mom just kept crying and raging at the same time. No wonder she prefers Diego's family who seems more easygoing and lighthearted. It will be hard for her if they split up. But then she can move in with her grandma (who knows how bad her daughter treats Emily) although she will have to switch college. If she will still be attending...

• Love 6

Emilee and Bridget are stuck in age old behaviors of reacting to verbals rather than being proactive in what might happen next (yes my sister is a family counselor why do you ask?) But really - it is hard for me to watch those two - you know darn well it is a lot (and I mean A LOT) of "But back when you were 12 I did this  for you!"  "Back when you were 8 I did this for you!" as Bridget needs a thank you for every! Little! Thing!  And she wants gratitude, which no matter what Emilee heaps on her, will NEVER be enough for Bridget.  Neither is a prize but now Bridget has to deal with Emilee hanging out all the time with Diego and his parents, dragging Bridget down and then Emilee comes home all resentful.  A sick pattern and neither can get out cause it is all they know.

I feel like Emilee needs that Stealers Wheel song as her theme song:  "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you"  And if Diego is the middle how can I get out??

• Love 5
37 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I know this is a minority opinion but I don’t understand all the Bridgette hate. Emily is not a self supporting adult yet and she forked up by getting pregnant as a teen. Whose insurance paid for all those prenatal visits to the doctor and the nice hospital delivery? Who is putting a roof over Emily’s head right now? who pays for her lovely clothes? who bought that prom dress? who pays for the diapers?  I guarantee you Diego‘s parents aren’t paying for any of it. Emily has the luxury of cheerleading in college because she’s not working part time in the cafeteria or as a waitress while she tries to go to school.  If I were paying for everything you better believe I’d want some control over it.

In my opinion (and I realize a lot of people disagree with me) Emily is being incredibly ungrateful and shortsighted.

But I suppose if Emily wants to bite the hand that feeds her, that’s up to her.

Amen! I’m wondering if Krista was even at the shower.  Diego sure acted an ass in front of her if she was. 

• Love 7

I felt bad for Caelen, too. He's tried to do the right thing and McKayla shits on him at every turn. Like literally?

I will cut Bridget some slack on her teeth. I believe Emily had braces when we met her? Orthodontia ain't cheap. If Bridget has dental insurance, it usually doesn't cover much and she's probably putting off taking care of her teeth because she simply doesn't have the money. Trust me, having a less than pretty smile sucks and you become very self conscious. I have an appointment with the periodontist next month will be giving her a 10k down payment to start the final stage of having a full set of teeth again. The total cost is going to be around 25k.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, PityFree said:

I know this is a minority opinion but I don’t understand all the Bridgette hate. Emily is not a self supporting adult yet and she forked up by getting pregnant as a teen. Whose insurance paid for all those prenatal visits to the doctor and the nice hospital delivery? Who is putting a roof over Emily’s head right now? who pays for her lovely clothes? who bought that prom dress? who pays for the diapers?  I guarantee you Diego‘s parents aren’t paying for any of it. Emily has the luxury of cheerleading in college because she’s not working part time in the cafeteria or as a waitress while she tries to go to school.  If I were paying for everything you better believe I’d want some control over it.

In my opinion (and I realize a lot of people disagree with me) Emily is being incredibly ungrateful and shortsighted.

But we don't know that Bridget did all of these things. Emiley might be covered by some form of CHIP, at least until she turned 18. Then she could have applied for Medicaid on her own. Of course Bridget is the one putting a roof over her daughter's head but...isn't that what she's supposed to do? Even if Emiley hadn't gotten pregnant, as a minor it's up to Bridget to house, feed and clothe the kid until she's grown. That doesn't mean she gets to treat Emiley like shit because she's footing the bill.

That said, I do think Emiley might be avoiding her mother/actively choosing to be with Diego's family. But there are myriad reasons for why she might be doing that and Bridget's jealousy is very likely a factor. There's so much admitted tension when Diego and Bridget are in the same room, Emiley might just not want to deal with being in the middle of all that. 

• Love 6

I think where we differ is I don’t think Bridget is treating Emily like shit. 

Again I understand that that’s not the majority opinion. I can live with that because I enjoy hearing everyone’s opinions  -even different ones-  because they expose me to perspectives I may not have thought about.

• Love 11
6 minutes ago, PityFree said:

I think where we differ is I don’t think Bridget is treating Emily like shit. 

Again I understand that that’s not the majority opinion. I can live with that because I enjoy hearing everyone’s opinions  -even different ones-  because they expose me to perspectives I may not have thought about.

That's fair. I don't think Emiley is intentionally trying to hurt her mother but I'm sure Bridget feels hurt. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I kind of get why Shannon is so pissed, although I don’t justify her actions. She probably feels like her parents criticize her all the time for dumb shit she does, but not McKayla. If Shannon is the queen of dumb  decisions, McKayla is the princess. What’s really the difference between Shannon getting a house she couldn’t afford by counting on McKayla and McKayla and Caelan getting an apartment and trying to have a wedding they can’t afford and don’t need? Shannon got an intervention and McKayla got a deposit on her gown.

I remember back during one of the family confabs, Shannon told McKayla, "They always liked you better than me."  It seemed telling.  And as time has gone on, I think it was very telling.

17 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

P.S.  I love how we all spell their names differently and likely wrong.  It adds to the crapfest this show is.  ??

For the record, with the "unexpected" spellings bolded:

Laura and Tylor

Chloe and Max

Emiley and Diego

McKayla and Caelan

Lexus and Shayden

(I'm not bolding Lexus because it's a stupid (in my opinion) name that just reeks of low class, but since I'm quite sure it's related to the car and not the legal research tool, it's spelled correctly.)

17 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

McCayla made a 20 minute youtube video, talking directly to the camera explaining what is on her 2nd baby shower list and why she wants it, and where to purchase the items.  Don't believe me?  Take a peek!  I also found some other from her "vlogging" about her day, what she buys at the grocery store, Timmy napping, her nails, her pedicure, her Coach shoes.....LIKE WHO THE HELL CARES?

I'll tell you who cares:  McKayla.  Because social media is her ticket to fame and fortune and every click she gets is a step toward that.  On the one hand, I don't care if having so many people clicking on her social media makes her a delusional egomaniac (and I actually might encourage it because it will make the inevitable fall even more traumatic), but on the other, social  media clicks are a money-making proposition for her. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Emily has participated in cheer and horseback riding....neither of which are cheap.  It appears Bridget was doing her best to give Emily a good life.  Now, there is a baby, and douchebag Diego in their lives.  I feel sorry for Bridget.  Emily looked like she was well dressed, groomed and well fed before Diego and his asswipe parents became involved.  Bridget, on the other hand, has had to let herself go.  This is her thanks?!?!?

I think that's Bridget's gameplan.  She wants everyone to feel sorry for her.  Poor Bridget--she tries so hard and no one appreciates it.  I'm not so sure that Bridget "has had to let herself go."  She may simply be a less-than-neat person (I wanted to write "slovenly").  Think of how different we would be commenting on Bridget if she could at least tell us ONCE how proud she is of her daughter...that she's upset about the pregnancy, but they will find a way to carry on like they always have.  She never has a good word to say to or about anyone or anything.  Have we ever seen her laugh...even smile?   I wish someone who knows them would tell us their background.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I don't think Emiley is intentionally trying to hurt her mother but I'm sure Bridget feels hurt. 

When does Bridget NOT feel hurt?   I wish her sister and mother would have Talking Heads to help us understand poor, poor St. Bridget.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, lovesnark said:

I believe Emily had braces when we met her? Orthodontia ain't cheap.

Orthodontia and all the other "benefits" mentioned previously....   Seeing their living conditions, I'd bet Bridget qualifies and receives state or county aid. That would often include medical and dental care (rarely orthodontia), food stamps, THERAPY, and other benefits.   Do we know if Emiley's father pays child support? Even if there's no contact, there are often court orders--which could include monthly support, medical/dental insurance, extracurricular activities, etc.

As for Emiley's prom dress, someone above guaranteed that Diego's parents didn't pay for anything.  I can't be that sure.  It's possible that Emiley is such a pretty girl, she might model for that designer and got the dress for next to nothing. After all, it would be featured on TV.  Maybe her grandmother paid for it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

I would like to know more about the history of Emily and Bridget's relationship. Rather than being on a reality show, they should be in a therapist's office. Its sad to watch how unhappy they both are.  Just going off of what is shown (and lacking historical context), I will say that I have an ex-friend who Bridget reminds me of. When she would get her feelings hurt, she would get very angry and lash out at me. I knew her angry outbursts were based in hurt feelings, but they really got under my skin and I couldn't empathize with her because of it.  Its too bad Bridget hasn't learned how to regulate her emotions better.  I believe in the current circumstances she does have some legitimate reasons to be upset., but her delivery is pushing Emily away.  Emily looked genuinely hurt when she was crying on the couch next to her mom.  I think Diego's parents are doing a terrible disservice to Emily by saying the horrid things they say about Bridget. Oh, and finally, Diego is such a little shit.

I think that not being able to regulate her emotions is a big thing here.  She is not a mean, vindictive person.  She is sad, and frustrated, and not able to communicate this well. She is a mother who had a great kid, who was on the way to bigger and better things with a great future - who f-ed it all up. 

I would be the same way.  I would be hysterical.  Bridget is the only person on the show who realizes that this screws up all Emiley's plans!  The other asshole parents laugh it up - who would they care?  Diego never had a future. 

Now, she does need to get a grip and move on with the new plan, but who can say they would not be like OH MY GOD everything was great, then my daughter met this fucking weasel named Diego, and then everything went to shit!!!

2 hours ago, PityFree said:

I feel like it is about half and half - I thought I had a minority opinion, but not anymore.

1 hour ago, Soup333 said:

But we don't know that Bridget did all of these things. Emiley might be covered by some form of CHIP, at least until she turned 18. Then she could have applied for Medicaid on her own. Of course Bridget is the one putting a roof over her daughter's head but...isn't that what she's supposed to do? Even if Emiley hadn't gotten pregnant, as a minor it's up to Bridget to house, feed and clothe the kid until she's grown. That doesn't mean she gets to treat Emiley like shit because she's footing the bill.

That said, I do think Emiley might be avoiding her mother/actively choosing to be with Diego's family. But there are myriad reasons for why she might be doing that and Bridget's jealousy is very likely a factor. There's so much admitted tension when Diego and Bridget are in the same room, Emiley might just not want to deal with being in the middle of all that. 

Emiley said that she did all these things, in the first or second episode.  Unless I remember incorrectly, she said her mom always supported her horseback riding, etc.  

• Love 11
15 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Why do people feel the need to overshare everything???

This referenced Caelen's 5-minute video.  I watched the entire thing and hope he watches it.  McKayla has been the princess spoiled by her grandparents and then she found another victim in Caelen, poor guy.   Someone has to get him a job out of town AND some therapy.  He has been subjected to McK's emotional abuse since he was barely a teen.  McKayla knows she can treat him like dirt, break up with him, and he'll be waiting with open arms.  This relationship is extremely unhealthy.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

This referenced Caelen's 5-minute video.  I watched the entire thing and hope he watches it.  McKayla has been the princess spoiled by her grandparents and then she found another victim in Caelen, poor guy.   Someone has to get him a job out of town AND some therapy.  He has been subjected to McK's emotional abuse since he was barely a teen.  McKayla knows she can treat him like dirt, break up with him, and he'll be waiting with open arms.  This relationship is extremely unhealthy.

You know that ain't happening. lol. He's all in with this girl. If I were his mother I'd be sad that this is all he'll ever know until he wises up or she dumps him for real. And by that time how many kids/debt will they have? 

I can't think of anyone on this show who doesn't need therapy. Only people I can think of is Chloe's little sister, but Jessica is her mom so I know she needs some couch time. And maybe Aunt LaKasta, but again, Bridget is her sister so...

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Pepper Mostly said:

And now she'll use his kids as clubs to beat him with too. McKayla is the worst by far of all these girls.

I agree she’s awful, but ever since Lexis laughed - on TV - about her shit bf peeing on her mom’s toothbrush I’ve been done with her.

• Love 14
17 hours ago, Soup333 said:

I made it through about 5 mins as she talked about a $300 tandem stroller she wants. Meanwhile, the walls behind her need to be painted. She said she had grandma‘s phone so I’m assuming she’s at her grandparents. Spending her time making a wishlist for stuff the family can’t afford and I guess she expects her fans to get her stuff??? I couldn’t even watch the rest. 

I made it though one minute. What kind of self-indulgent brat thinks anyone wants to watch a video of her showing her registry from a phone app?? Seriously. 

Everyone else is working their butts off, raising kids, etc. and she's lounging around, watching Greys Anatomy, and decided the world cared about the crap she's begging for because she couldn't be bothered with birth control a SECOND TIME? 

Just no. 

17 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Why do people feel the need to overshare everything???

Or over/mis-use literally? Damn, Caelen, stop. She did not "literally" break your heart. It's that and the "f" word. And I'm not prude. But it was excessive. 

12 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I'm amazed Emily still cares AT ALL about her mother.  I think this passive aggressive cruelty has been going on for at least ten years.  Emily fell into the trap long ago and thinks everything is her fault.  I wish I had the funds to send Bridget to a therapist (long term), a dentist, a hairdresser, and a wardrobe stylist.  Occasionally, I might have to hire someone to slap her face.

When I look at Emiley, all I see is a little girl who desperately wants to please everyone. It infuriates me that her mother either can't see that, or doesn't care. I can sympathize with some of Bridget's hurt. But I don't think anything has been done out of malice on Emiley's side. She's the child in this relationship. Bridget is the parent. She would get a lot further if she'd show some compassion and maturity. Right now Bridget is acting like the mean girls in school. 

6 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Not only that, most of that stuff we wanted the first time around was pretty much mostly fairy gold. I got so much stuff I never used and didn't need. I gave a lot of it away before my kid turned one. McKayla wants to be Queen of the Shitsville Mall with her fancy stroller and designer diaper bag, so when she takes the kids out for the occasional airing, she can be the object of envy. She makes me sick. What a shallow, vapid, uncaring, self centered little witch she is.

McKayla seems to like all the stuff that comes with a baby. Just not so much the baby. 

5 hours ago, Soup333 said:

I wonder about this. I'm not sure Bridget is the one who has paid for all of this. It makes no sense that she'd be sacrificing for such an expensive hobby when her teeth are in such a state. I wonder if Grandma or Aunt LaKasta has been the one footing the bill for some of Emiley's extracurriculars throughout the year. Judging from what we've seen of Bridget's house, it looks as if she's barely holding it down.That might be part of her problem, feeling inadequate as a mother because she couldn't give Emiley everything. And now it's happening all over again with the baby and Diego's parents.

Judging from how Emiley and her grandmother interact, I've always wondered how much involvement grandma had in raising her. They seem very close.

4 hours ago, PityFree said:

And I don't think Emiley has ever once acted ungrateful for any of those things. 

I guess I'm just of the opionion that providing for someone doesn't entitle you to treat them like a verbal punching bag. And that's IF Bridget really is bankrolling all of this stuff. We have no idea. I don't get the impression that Emiley lives with Bridget. 

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

But really - it is hard for me to watch those two - you know darn well it is a lot (and I mean A LOT) of "But back when you were 12 I did this  for you!"  "Back when you were 8 I did this for you!" as Bridget needs a thank you for every! Little! Thing!  And she wants gratitude, which no matter what Emilee heaps on her, will NEVER be enough for Bridget. 

Bridget reminds me of Lyvia Soprano. Always reminding everyone that she gave them her life "on a silver platter". 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Unless I remember incorrectly, she said her mom always supported her horseback riding, etc. 

Perhaps that activity is something Bridget loved.  Perhaps she attended Emily's gymkhanas, rodeos, or shows.  That's support.  Maybe relatives owned the horse(s). Perhaps someone else paid all the bills.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I made it though one minute. What kind of self-indulgent brat thinks anyone wants to watch a video of her showing her registry from a phone app?? Seriously. 

Everyone else is working their butts off, raising kids, etc. and she's lounging around, watching Greys Anatomy, and decided the world cared about the crap she's begging for because she couldn't be bothered with birth control a SECOND TIME? 

Just no. 

Or over/mis-use literally? Damn, Caelen, stop. She did not "literally" break your heart. It's that and the "f" word. And I'm not prude. But it was excessive. 

When I look at Emiley, all I see is a little girl who desperately wants to please everyone. It infuriates me that her mother either can't see that, or doesn't care. I can sympathize with some of Bridget's hurt. But I don't think anything has been done out of malice on Emiley's side. She's the child in this relationship. Bridget is the parent. She would get a lot further if she'd show some compassion and maturity. Right now Bridget is acting like the mean girls in school. 

McKayla seems to like all the stuff that comes with a baby. Just not so much the baby. 

Judging from how Emiley and her grandmother interact, I've always wondered how much involvement grandma had in raising her. They seem very close.

And I don't think Emiley has ever once acted ungrateful for any of those things. 

I guess I'm just of the opionion that providing for someone doesn't entitle you to treat them like a verbal punching bag. And that's IF Bridget really is bankrolling all of this stuff. We have no idea. I don't get the impression that Emiley lives with Bridget. 

I agree with you regarding the first bolded--Bridget would get a lot further if she would calm down and speak to her daughter rationally. That's why I feel she could benefit from family therapy. I can sympathize with Emiley here as well--it can't be easy to be caught between and her over-dramatic mother and an asshole boyfriend.

Regarding the second bolded--not so sure, imo. I think it is ungrateful to allow your boyfriend and his parents to verbally disrespect your mother. Full stop. Here's where Emiley needs to stop trying to placate Diego in hopes that she and he will be a "happy little family"--because that is what I think is her true motivation. Even if Bridget is completely out of the picture, I can't believe Diego will suddenly stop being a major douche canoe. He will likely turn his criticisms, jabs, and sarcasm toward Emiley. YMMV

Forgot to add about the other couples--Shayden scares me. Really think that boy would become unhinged if Lexus leaves.

McKayla--spoiled and definitely not ready for marriage (or any more children)

Laura--bleahhh

• Love 7

Watching McKayla change Timmy, it was like she never changed a baby before.  I knew he was going to pee and she was changing him on someone else’s rug? Then once he was clean he was plopped back in the playpen! 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, PityFree said:

I agree with you. I think Bridget is expressing her justifiable frustration with Emily in an unproductive and unhealthy way, but I don’t fault her for being upset. 

I have a close relationship with my daughter too- not a friendship, but a close mother-daughter bond. If she cut me out the way Emiley has, I’d be hurt too. From the sounds of it, Emiley started ghosting her Mom when Diego came along, and I can 1000% say if my daughter brought a smug punk like Diego home and started treating me the way Emiley has treated Bridget, I’d be livid too. 

I don’t necessarily think Emiley needs to include her mom on EVERYTHING, but cutting her out of those moments she KNOWS are important to Bridget (prom dress shopping, cheer tryouts, etc.) is really pretty shitty and inconsiderate. Especially given all that Bridget has done and is doing to help her with the baby, help her be able to stay in school, etc. 

They both need therapy. Seperatly and together. 

• Love 14
On 10/17/2018 at 2:20 PM, Bridget said:

Remember last season when we were all subjected to Shayden and “his package”? In fact, it was someone and her daughter who pointed it out. Apologies for blanking on who it was. He always sat with his legs spread out in those gray sweatpants that made us all reach for the eye bleach!

Has anyone else noticed this season that there are now some tchotchkes on the coffee table in front of “his package” during his THs?

The angle is still low for his THs, when compared to the other THs, which I do find odd, but I guess someone at TLC read these boards! 

Hey TLC, keep reading this board. So many great ideas from brilliant people who can (and will!) suggest how to map out your show. 

Sweet baby Jesus, I wish I had been here for that last season! I never noticed any Package McBabymaker-I was too obsessed with his skin. Somebody needs to assist him to either a dermatologist or McKayla can make a pimple popping video for her YouTube channel.

• Love 3
On 10/22/2018 at 12:37 AM, Ivylady said:

The editing on this show is terrible. I mentioned several episodes ago that Tim looked like he got burned on his arms in the TH. He did get burned, but they're just talking about it now. How do they keep the timelines straight? 

I noticed Tim’s arms last season. I have a friend that has that same papery, thin skin that bruises extremely easily, and he has cirrhosis, too. His apparently came from chemicals he was exposed to, rather than alcohol. I thought Tim might be in some medical trouble last season, I hate to see it confirmed. He’s aged a bit, and he’s only seven years older than I am!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, asemumma said:

I agree with you. I think Bridget is expressing her justifiable frustration with Emily in an unproductive and unhealthy way, but I don’t fault her for being upset. 

I have a close relationship with my daughter too- not a friendship, but a close mother-daughter bond. If she cut me out the way Emiley has, I’d be hurt too. From the sounds of it, Emiley started ghosting her Mom when Diego came along, and I can 1000% say if my daughter brought a smug punk like Diego home and started treating me the way Emiley has treated Bridget, I’d be livid too. 

I don’t necessarily think Emiley needs to include her mom on EVERYTHING, but cutting her out of those moments she KNOWS are important to Bridget (prom dress shopping, cheer tryouts, etc.) is really pretty shitty and inconsiderate. Especially given all that Bridget has done and is doing to help her with the baby, help her be able to stay in school, etc. 

As a Grandma (1 grandson only one) i would be so very very upset with my son (or daughter) not allowing me to be involved with my Grandson it would devastate me. Shame on all of them including Diegos lovely looking parents!!!! 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, asemumma said:

Emilly is being very passive aggressive over this who thing.  Yuck.

They do need therapy, separately and together as it seems they were sitting on a bunch of emotional junk and the baby magnified 1000x.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Emilly is being very passive aggressive over this who thing.  Yuck.

They do need therapy, separately and together as it seems they were sitting on a bunch of emotional junk and the baby magnified 1000x.

It's so interesting to me how we all watch the same thing and come away with different perceptions. I don't see Emiley as being passive agressive at all. I wonder how many times her mom said she's DONE and that she's distancing herself away from her daughter. With that being the case, what is Emiley supposed to do? Just keep asking her mom to be involved in things? Look what happened after the cheer tryout. They wanted to get something to eat and then Bridget said she'd already eaten. So now what? Does her daughter have to beg her mother to go with them? Should she not go and celebrate her accomplishment so Bridget can be happy? I don't see how it's the kid's responsibility to make her mother happy.

I totally understand why Bridget might not like Diego. I get her feeling left out. I do. But the way she handles her feelings is not right and will never be right in my opinion. Just as Jessica is justifiable in her anger towards Max but not in how she's acted towards him. Repeatedly saying I'm done and I'm distancing myself is not going to bring you closer to anyone. She's literally saying that she's intentionally pulling away so why is Emiley the one who has to try and chase after her mother? Mommy's being a brat right now and if anyone is being passive aggressive, it's her.

Out of everyone I feel the most sympathy for Emiley. Mom's an emotional roller coaster and Diego's an insufferable ass. She can't catch a break dealing with these two and if she goes to Grandma or "second mom" Aunt LaKasta her mother's jealousy sets in. This is a damn near impossible situation. No matter what she does or who she spends time with someone is going to be upset. There's no way for her to win here.

2 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

So Jessica wins after all. 

If Max actually "did put hands on Chloe" then I don't blame her for taking steps to protect her family. 

• Love 6

I'm not a fan of Emiley at all or her mother, but I remember Bridget saying something like up until the pregnancy or when she met Diego or whatever, it was just the two of them. I got the vibe that they were "best buds" but then Diego came along, and then the pregnancy and Bridget began to feel like the friend who gets dropped and began acting like a pissed off teenager.  I cannot blame her for how she feels about Emiley choosing Diego's mother to prom dress shop with and that kind of mothery stuff, but Bridget's actions and response are juvenile and make her really look terrible. She has a perpetual sourpuss on and Emiley will get to the point that she won't ask mom to do anything because she already knows the response, but Bridget will take that as yet another "slap" at her. What a pool of drama to have to deal with. Oy vey!

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I wonder how many times her mom said she's DONE and that she's distancing herself away from her daughter.

So many times that we've seen on TV that I was fed up with her long ago!    Great post, Soup333.  Hope it goes PINK!

They wanted to get something to eat and then Bridget said she'd already eaten

Emiley extended an invitation to her mother and aunt, but Bridget had a normal snotty response.

I don't see how it's the kid's responsibility to make her mother happy.

Sadly, this has probably been Emiley's job all her life.  Let's hope she can escape.  The task is impossible.

9 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

Mommy's being a brat right now and if anyone is being passive aggressive, it's her.

Wanna bet that all of Bridget's relatives, co-workers/former co-workers, acquaintances, ex-husband, and anyone who recognizes her on the show have had that same opinion for decades?

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

So Jessica wins after all. 

If Max actually "did put hands on Chloe" then I don't blame her for taking steps to protect her family. 

Max is a shit for what he did  & I'm really glad to read protections are in place.

I still don't like Jessica because I think she played on Chloe too, even making her cry over stupid things. She enjoyed her camera time thoroughly.

Chloe probably does have the best parents on the show but that's not saying much with this crowd. At least they're protecting her & the baby from Max, as opposed to that idiot Kelsey who allows Shayden to abuse her daughter (& her toothbrush, among probably who knows what else).

33 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

I'm not a fan of Emiley at all or her mother, but I remember Bridget saying something like up until the pregnancy or when she met Diego or whatever, it was just the two of them. I got the vibe that they were "best buds" but then Diego came along, and then the pregnancy and Bridget began to feel like the friend who gets dropped and began acting like a pissed off teenager.  I cannot blame her for how she feels about Emiley choosing Diego's mother to prom dress shop with and that kind of mothery stuff, but Bridget's actions and response are juvenile and make her really look terrible. She has a perpetual sourpuss on and Emiley will get to the point that she won't ask mom to do anything because she already knows the response, but Bridget will take that as yet another "slap" at her. What a pool of drama to have to deal with. Oy vey!

I can't let go of the fact that Bridget said she had a bad experience with Emiley's father - & we don't know what that entailed, but she also specifically said in regard to Diego's behavior toward Emiley that she "didn't want that" for her daughter.

She doesn't like Diego for good reason. Diego is an abusive shit. From what I've seen of his parents they are no better; they raised him to be who he is, has chuckled over & enabled their POS son on camera, & are deliberately pushing for a total break between Emiley & her mom.

Bridget is damaged - no doubt about that - & she's not handling this well. But this is a very bad situation; she knows it & is powerless to do anything about it since Emiley is stuck on this shithead & his asshole parents, because they are toxic & playing mind games with Emiley.

I don't believe Diego & his parents have Emiley's best interest at heart; they are manipulative MF's & their son is emotionally abusing Emiley.  Bridget is aware of this, but damaged, triggered & emotionally immature so she's acting out in response, making everything more complicated for Emiley.

Emiley is lost in this whole thing. Hopefully she goes off to college & finds some more well adjusted people so she can see the difference - maybe that will help give her some clarity & a better plan for her life & her daughter.

• Love 18
49 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

So many times that we've seen on TV that I was fed up with her long ago!    Great post, Soup333.  Hope it goes PINK!

Emiley extended an invitation to her mother and aunt, but Bridget had a normal snotty response.

Sadly, this has probably been Emiley's job all her life.  Let's hope she can escape.  The task is impossible.

Wanna bet that all of Bridget's relatives, co-workers/former co-workers, acquaintances, ex-husband, and anyone who recognizes her on the show have had that same opinion for decades?

Thank you. I just don't get what more Emiley could do in this case to please her mom. I agree with GoneCrackers that this is an abusive relationship. Someone above said that Emiley shouldn't be allowing Diego to disrespect her mom and I wonder what would happen if she told him to stop. He's already shown that he has no qualms saying mean shit to her under the guise that he's just "joking." I wonder if he has already turned on her if she's tried to defend Bridget. Diego is out of control and his parents are useless.

7 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Max is a shit for what he did  & I'm really glad to read protections are in place.

I still don't like Jessica because I think she played on Chloe too, even making her cry over stupid things. She enjoyed her camera time thoroughly.

Chloe probably does have the best parents on the show but that's not saying much with this crowd. At least they're protecting her & the baby from Max, as opposed to that idiot Kelsey who allows Shayden to abuse her daughter (& her toothbrush, among probably who knows what else).

I can't let go of the fact that Bridget said she had a bad experience with Emiley's father - & we don't know what that entailed, but she also specifically said in regard to Diego's behavior toward Emiley that she "didn't want that" for her daughter.

She doesn't like Diego for good reason. Diego is an abusive shit. From what I've seen of his parents they are no better; they raised him to be who he is, has chuckled over & enabled their POS son on camera, & are deliberately pushing for a total break between Emiley & her mom.

Bridget is damaged - no doubt about that - & she's not handling this well. But this is a very bad situation; she knows it & is powerless to do anything about it since Emiley is stuck on this shithead & his asshole parents, because they are toxic & playing mind games with Emiley.

I don't believe Diego & his parents have Emiley's best interest at heart; they are manipulative MF's & their son is emotionally abusing Emiley.  Bridget is aware of this, but damaged, triggered & emotionally immature so she's acting out in response, making everything more complicated for Emiley.

Emiley is lost in this whole thing. Hopefully she goes off to college & finds some more well adjusted people so she can see the difference - maybe that will help give her some clarity & a better plan for her life & her daughter.

I laughed out loud at the bolded.

Yes, I think Diego has a definite tendency to at least be verbally abusive. But just like Jessica (who saw something familiarly abusive in Max) Bridget is handling this wrong. Distancing herself is pushing Emiley to her abuser and his family, which often makes it harder for the victim. If Emiley were to become financially dependent on Diego his family or move in with them, what would happen to her if she ever needed to get out of there? Would her mom still be holding a grudge because she left in the first place??? 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Soup333 said:

It's so interesting to me how we all watch the same thing and come away with different perceptions.

I 100% agree and I must say in all honesty that I only listen to Emillee and her mom with about 90% attention span - they both seem damaged, emotional and over their heads.  Emillee got mixed up with the hip, off the cuff bad boy football player and ended up pregnant, Mom is like WTF just happened to my life and my daughter's life?  Bridget does need help as she is just out there emotionally.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Being "just the two" of them doesn't necessarily mean "best buds", though. It could have been a situation where Bridget was isolating her daughter, using her as a surrogate spouse, etc. Maybe Emiley just never really knew better until she started having more of a social life. She began to see there are other dynamics between families and maybe started to realize that her dynamic with her mother was a bit dysfunctional. 

I don't think we can truly know, either way, without more in depth interviews with all involved. But I'm not 100% on board with the idea that they were this Gilmore-esque level of closeness and then the big, bad boyfriend ruined it all. 

Another angle to consider - it's VERY common for teenagers to push away from the family for a bit. This is when they're truly figuring out their identity and establishing lives outside of the family/house they grew up in. It's probably magnified in Emiley's case, because she actually had a baby with someone. ButI think this is a very normal phase of life. That doesn't mean it shouldn't hurt the people who feel "left behind", but I don't think there's a need to take it to a Bridget level reaction. I remember spending ALL my time with my friends in HS. I often saw their parents more than my own. My mom didn't give me shit about it, unless I violated a rule of some sort. She gave me the space to do my teenage thing. We're now super close and I talk to her more than anyone. Maybe it's harder for Bridget because she doesn't have any other kids or (ostensibly) a significant other. But I do think she should try to be more understanding of what's actually going on here. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Soup333 said:

Distancing herself is pushing Emiley to her abuser and his family

Ahh...but is saying, "I'm DONE!" and walking ten feet 40 times a day really distancing herself?   I bet her mother and sister mimic that all the time.  Emiley is probably too nice (and browbeaten).

• Love 1
On 10/23/2018 at 9:18 AM, PityFree said:

I know this is a minority opinion but I don’t understand all the Bridgette hate. Emily is not a self supporting adult yet and she forked up by getting pregnant as a teen.

Please tell me you watch the Good Place!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Being "just the two" of them doesn't necessarily mean "best buds", though. It could have been a situation where Bridget was isolating her daughter, using her as a surrogate spouse, etc. Maybe Emiley just never really knew better until she started having more of a social life. She began to see there are other dynamics between families and maybe started to realize that her dynamic with her mother was a bit dysfunctional. 

I don't think we can truly know, either way, without more in depth interviews with all involved. But I'm not 100% on board with the idea that they were this Gilmore-esque level of closeness and then the big, bad boyfriend ruined it all. 

Another angle to consider - it's VERY common for teenagers to push away from the family for a bit. This is when they're truly figuring out their identity and establishing lives outside of the family/house they grew up in. It's probably magnified in Emiley's case, because she actually had a baby with someone. ButI think this is a very normal phase of life. That doesn't mean it shouldn't hurt the people who feel "left behind", but I don't think there's a need to take it to a Bridget level reaction. I remember spending ALL my time with my friends in HS. I often saw their parents more than my own. My mom didn't give me shit about it, unless I violated a rule of some sort. She gave me the space to do my teenage thing. We're now super close and I talk to her more than anyone. Maybe it's harder for Bridget because she doesn't have any other kids or (ostensibly) a significant other. But I do think she should try to be more understanding of what's actually going on here. 

I think that while Bridget did not necessarily isolate Emiley, she may have been over-invested in her daughter's life (to be fair, Emiley was still in high school). Emily's social media is full of pics (embarrassed to say I looked) of her and numerous friends at cheer, rodeo competitions, softball, etc. There are even pics of mother and daughter with friends on a cruise. So I do not think Bridget was keeping Emiley in some sort of bubble.

That said, I agree that it is completely normal for teens to pull away from family for a bit, even "rebel" and go in an opposite direction from the family's values, culture, etc. Emily's case, I'm assuming Bridget feels the big rule she violated was getting pregnant in high school--and by a smart-ass boy who was yet a year younger. Now that Emiley is tied to Diego and his family for the foreseeable future, Bridget cannot handle it. 

Yes, Bridget needs counseling or therapy and needs to calm down and take a step back or else she may ruin any chance of having a good relationship with her daughter (and grandchild).

• Love 6
On 10/23/2018 at 10:49 AM, Mrs. Hanson said:

Emilee and Bridget are stuck in age old behaviors of reacting to verbals rather than being proactive in what might happen next (yes my sister is a family counselor why do you ask?) But really - it is hard for me to watch those two - you know darn well it is a lot (and I mean A LOT) of "But back when you were 12 I did this  for you!"  "Back when you were 8 I did this for you!" as Bridget needs a thank you for every! Little! Thing!  And she wants gratitude, which no matter what Emilee heaps on her, will NEVER be enough for Bridget.  Neither is a prize but now Bridget has to deal with Emilee hanging out all the time with Diego and his parents, dragging Bridget down and then Emilee comes home all resentful.  A sick pattern and neither can get out cause it is all they know.

I feel like Emilee needs that Stealers Wheel song as her theme song:  "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle with you"  And if Diego is the middle how can I get out??

I cannot stand Diego, but I actually hope they stay together because Emilee needs his semi-normal family in her life. 

On 10/24/2018 at 8:36 AM, Ijustwantsomechips said:
On 10/24/2018 at 7:26 AM, configdotsys said:

The rocket scientist who wrote that article kept saying "Injection" instead of injunction. Drove me nuts.

I caught that too.  Spellcheck people ?

But "injection" and "injunction" are both spelled right, so spellcheck wouldn't help.  And it might even hurt because people seem to look only for little squiggly lines and if there's not one, then it must be okay, hit "send."

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
On 10/23/2018 at 2:12 PM, ghoulina said:

I am seeing it so differently - Diego's mom and dad are laughing and rolling their eyes about Bridget, and the little group of four are fully excluding Bridget.  That's mean girl, that's so hurtful.  Bridget is lashing out, for sure, but she is doing it in response to being left out and mocked.  Her feelings are hurt.  I always feel for anyone when they are left out.  There is no good way to handle it. 

I would also be a huge emotional mess if I was cut out by my daughter who I loved, her asshole abusive boyfriend and his piece of shit parents!  I would freak the fuck out!  I would hope to handle it better than Bridget, but I would be very upset.

Edited by heatherchandler
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I am seeing it so differently - Diego's mom and dad are laughing and rolling their eyes about Bridget, and the little group of four are fully excluding Bridget.  That's mean girl, that's so hurtful.  Bridget is lashing out, for sure, but she is doing it in response to being left out and mocked.  Her feelings are hurt.  I always feel for anyone when they are left out.  There is no good way to handle it. 

I would also be a huge emotional mess if I was cut out by my daughter who I loved, her asshole abusive boyfriend and his piece of shit parents!  I would freak the fuck out!  I would hope to handle it better than Bridget, but I would be very upset.

That’s my viewpoint as well. Bridget’s response isn’t the best, but I can totally see where she is coming from. When my daughter was a teenager, her friends had ‘cool’ parents. Like the kind that are chummy with all their kid’s friends, and lack in rules. She wanted to spend more and more time away from us, because we were boring and had rules, chores, etc. But what was funny is when she was little, she said ‘I’m glad you and dad are my parents and not Abby’s parents’ When I asked why, she said because they feed her candy and junk food whenever she wants and let her talk back!’ I thought is was great my 7 year old appreciated having structure, but also surprised she vocalized it. Fast forwards ten years and we were the worst parents in the world and so and so parents let their daughter stay out till midnight, bought them cell phones, etc. That’s when she started pulling away and bonding more with her best girls friends mom’s. It definitely felt like a betrayal because I knew I was a good mom and would always love her more than anyone. I did not lash like Bridget though. I have 5 children and I guess had enough little people needing my attention. If I was a single mom with one daughter, I might have reacted differently. 

• Love 10
14 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I've seen Diego's parents smirk a bit in their THs, but I don't recall seeing them do anything outright cruel when they're in person with Bridget. She, OTOH, walks into the room already with a chip on her shoulder and makes everyone uncomfortable. 

• Love 4