Type keyword(s) to search

Something Unexpected: Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, eatsleep said:

But I do think abortion is killing an innocent baby and for Bridget to suggest such a thing is morally wrong and horribly offensive.

If Bridget doesn't believe that, though, I'm not sure how it's horribly offensive for her to broach the topic with her daughter. But I realize this is eggshell territory so I'll leave it at that.

In any case, as @Soup333 suggested, I seriously doubt Diego has any deeply considered moral objections to abortion. I think he's just a controlling punk looking for any excuse to hate Bridget. 

Edited by bref
  • Love 19

So I played on YouTube all day at work, and saw McBabymaker’s registry video.  Good grief where to start? I won’t even get into the sprinkle/shower debate (spoiler alert, if you expect gifts, it’s still a shower).  Not only does she have expensive taste, but they were all unnecessary items. She doesn’t look like anyone in her family could afford those items, yet she proclaims she didn’t do it to get viewers to buy those things.  Yeah right!  The whole video was about things for her convenience, and whoever said she’s only interested in pregnancy and the attention that comes with a newborn was right.   She couldn’t  care less about parenting. 

Then I fell further down the rabbit hole and saw the hospital bag video. Oh brother! Lots of those videos have ridiculous things, but this took the cake. $200+ dollars on mostly cosmetics?  I knew it would be foolishness when she said she was going to Walgreens and not Target or Wal-Mart.  They keep few baby items yet she acts surprised she couldn’t find nipple shields there. Quelle surprise?!?  

OAN, I loved that Walgreens was playing Aretha Franklin on the loudest possible setting.  I’d also like to point out the Flawless company should sue Cindy.  She’s got horrible eyebrows and is no ringing endorsement for the product. ThenMcK proceeds to show us her haul ?. Timmy taking the items was adorable and the best part of that video but she barely even acknowledged him. How dare he interrupt her vlogging. 

Contrast that with Chloe’s newborn essentials video (I was  already in too deep at this point). While she’s no genius, she clearly loves and interracts with Ava.  And if wasn’t just about things to make her happy like McK.  There were things on there to keep Ava safe and happy too, and clutch the pearls, even things to help her sister hold the baby. It was a night and day difference. So some of us here may not like Jessica, but she clearly did a better job of parenting as far as teaching Chloe the world exists beyond her needs.  

• Love 14
13 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

If she is in an alternative high school, there is a center on site.  At a college she may get a reduced rate but maybe not.  She is assuming grandparents will help.

As long as it's not Diego's mom!  That family is toxic & she needs to limit their influence over Aria (or she'll definitely end up a Beckett too).

On that note I don't like the two name thing. They should've just agreed on one but of course as others have said Diego probably would've been difficult about anything just out of immaturity & spite.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

As for the bite your tongue thing, Max used it in the right context so I don’t doubt he knew what it meant.

Or did he?   If the stepfather had said, "This makes me want to kill myself," and Max simply repeated, "Then go kill yourself,"  it was just talk.  He doesn't take context into consideration...he just makes some smartass response.  He has probably not interacted appropriately with others most of his life.  

• Love 2
On 11/2/2018 at 9:47 AM, eatsleep said:

But I do think abortion is killing an innocent baby and for Bridget to suggest such a thing is morally wrong and horribly offensive.

That's important for you personally, but there are so many with opposing views AND...abortion is not against the law.  I don't like one thing about Bridget, but she wasn't suggesting that her daughter be dragged into some horrific facility and get the rusty hanger treatment.  She simply suggested an alternative...and we KNOW she doesn't present ANYTHING well.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Former Nun said:

My Catholic elementary school (1946-1954) insisted that they and we use our "legal" names.  I had a formal name with all my other "formal" classmates at school, yet we were all called our nicknames at home and with neighborhood friends.  In high school we became Dick, Tony, Pat (instead of Richard, Anthony, and Patricia).  I agree that it's a power play on the part of Diego (and it's just easier for his parents to go along with it), but it's harmless.  Let them play their little game.  It's he last thing they need to be arguing about.

With respect, there's a difference being called Anthony at school and Tony at home vs. Being called Aria and Beckett. There is nothing similar about those names. I think that would be incredibly confusing; and as she gets older she'll sense the underlying tension behind it. I'd find it hurtful that my parents couldn't put their shit aside to give me A name. 

18 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I'm not sure what all the name drama is about with Diego and Emiley but they should have agreed on a name before birth. If they could not agree, they should have put the names they liked in a hat and drew two: first, middle. If Emiley took a "Too bad" attitude and named her Aria, it's not hard to see why Diego would refuse to call her that. It's totally in keeping with his personality. He's a jerk. No surprise there. This is what happens when teenagers have a baby.

As far as the name calling goes-- and I don't have kids so maybe I'm off base here-- but I'm just not seeing how this is going to be confusing to Aria. I hear my friends call their babies all kinds of nicknames all the time. Some are those mushy, cringeworthy ones but others like Dude I hear a lot. I have a friend who calls her year old son Dude all the time, more than saying his name. These parents don't seem worried about confusing their kid. I think the hate for Diego is what is driving the drama on the names.  I can't stand him either, but this seems to be a bit of a stretch to me. 

But kids know their name isn't "dude" or "monkey butt" or whatever. They're not going to put that on a paper at school or introduce themselves that way. If dad is insisting you're Beckett and mom is insisting you're Aria, which name DO you put on your paper? It's just not the same, IMO.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

Long time teacher who hates kids like cocky Diego.

Me three.  

1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Being called Aria and Beckett. There is nothing similar about those names.

It goes to show you that they can't agree on a NAME, how the hell are they gonna agree on anything else??  Oh wait......

• Love 15

I think calling adults by first names is definitely cultural/regional and alone is not indicative of whether a kid has manners. Everything else we see from Max and Diego makes it clear, though! I grew up in the Midwest in the 80s and always called friends' parents by their first names, as they did mine. And believe me, manners were the forefront of my upbringing, as they are my daughter's, who calls adults by their first names as well. I cannot stand to be called Mrs. Firstname or Mrs. Lastname and will ask anyone of any age to address me simply by my first name! It just feels very formal and fussy to me, and most everyone I know in this region. 

Edited by Squirrely
Finishing thought
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

If dad is insisting you're Beckett and mom is insisting you're Aria, which name DO you put on your paper? It's just not the same, IMO.

But not MY opinion.  My nickname at home and everywhere else (three letters) is a dimunitive of my legal name (eight letters) and they sound nothing alike (like Dick and Richard do not).  I had to write my legal name on my school papers, but sign notes and cards to relatives with my nickname.  I was not confused.  There are all kinds of things that are one way at home and another way in other places.  The name game is the tiniest problem that child will endure.   Her mother is the most likely parent to register her at daycare and school, and she can fill out paperwork the way she wants to.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Sorry, not implying anyone who doesn’t do the Mr. or Mrs. is rude.  I guess it’s probably the smugness with which Diego, Shayden and Max use the first names.  They really are intolerable little shits though.   For as annoying as Tylor is, he just doesn’t have that smugness when addressing Laura’s parents.  He’s also the only one who seems to have made any long term goals so clearly he and Caelan are different creatures. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, ghoulina said:

But kids know their name isn't "dude" or "monkey butt" or whatever. They're not going to put that on a paper at school or introduce themselves that way. If dad is insisting you're Beckett and mom is insisting you're Aria, which name DO you put on your paper? It's just not the same, IMO.

She can always write Aria Beckett [last name] on her paper, no? I'm not sure about the insisting part though. If Diego begins to tell her "That's not your name. Don't call yourself Aria, call yourself Beckett," and Emiley does the same thing with the names reversed then oh boy, it's gonna be a fun ride with those two. If these idiots get into such nonsense over a name, wait until something really trying happens and a decision has to be made.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Former Nun said:

But not MY opinion.  My nickname at home and everywhere else (three letters) is a dimunitive of my legal name (eight letters) and they sound nothing alike (like Dick and Richard do not).  I had to write my legal name on my school papers, but sign notes and cards to relatives with my nickname.  I was not confused.  There are all kinds of things that are one way at home and another way in other places.  The name game is the tiniest problem that child will endure.   Her mother is the most likely parent to register her at daycare and school, and she can fill out paperwork the way she wants to.

I just think there's a different between - at home vs. at school  AND at home vs. at home. 

I grew up in two separate homes. I never knew my parents together. And things were vastly different at my mom's and my dad's. I HATED the adjustment period when I'd go from one house to the other. I am just putting myself in that child's shoes; and I think it would it be really confusing to have parents who insist on calling you two different names. And you've got the grandparents backing each side up. It's more than just the name; it's a symptom of an underlying issue. And I just don't think it's fair to do that to a child. 

• Love 9

Hmm. I see both points regarding the Aria/Beckett thing. I’m one of those who has a nickname that is more my actual name than my legal name. I have cousins who probably wouldn’t even know my given name if not for Facebook.

I also have children who had a rough transition when they’d come home from visiting their father. For a few days they would just be off and have horrible attitudes. It would drive me crazy but I understood that it was hard for them. 

The fact that Diego has a “call her Beckett” thing in his bio doesn’t bode well for him giving up on this anytime soon but as someone else said, this problem might solve itself. He might not really be around that much to impose his will on his daughter and since Emiley is the custodial parent, she’ll be handling all the paperwork for everything. Aria’s peers and teachers will meet her as Aria and that’ll define her childhood more than just a few days of immersion Beckett with her dad.

I’m not hoping that Diego will stop being in his daughter’s life but I do hope age will mellow him out of his asshole ways. I got an extra hour of sleep today so I’m feeling optimistic!

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I just think there's a different between - at home vs. at school  AND at home vs. at home. 

I grew up in two separate homes. I never knew my parents together. And things were vastly different at my mom's and my dad's. I HATED the adjustment period when I'd go from one house to the other. I am just putting myself in that child's shoes; and I think it would it be really confusing to have parents who insist on calling you two different names. And you've got the grandparents backing each side up. It's more than just the name; it's a symptom of an underlying issue. And I just don't think it's fair to do that to a child. 

I agree.  If this was a situation where Diego had a special nickname for his girl, that would be totally different to me.  But, in reality, what I think is going on is that it wouldn't matter what Aria's middle name was, he'd want to call her by her middle name as a big f*%k you to Emiley.  He seems like the kind of parent who will tell his kid that she doesn't have to listen to her mother and the name thing is all part of undermining Emiley. Diego will try to do to Emiley and Aria's relationship what he's done to Emiley and Bridget's (not that it was all his fault, of course).

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Squirrely said:

I think calling adults by first names is definitely cultural/regional and alone is not indicative of whether a kid has manners.

I haven't really thought much about it--but I just figured out why my kids (50 & 52) called some adults/parents by their first names and others Mr./Mrs.   If the "parents" were family friends and we all called each other by first names, so did the kids.  If my kids met parents through their kid-friends, they automatically called them Mr./Mrs. unless they were told otherwise by those people.  They generally wouldn't have known their first names.  If an adult was introduced as First Name, they probably used it.  In any case, they had BETTER have been respectful.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I haven't really thought much about it--but I just figured out why my kids (50 & 52) called some adults/parents by their first names and others Mr./Mrs.   If the "parents" were family friends and we all called each other by first names, so did the kids.  If my kids met parents through their kid-friends, they automatically called them Mr./Mrs. unless they were told otherwise by those people.  They generally wouldn't have known their first names.  If an adult was introduced as First Name, they probably used it.  In any case, they had BETTER have been respectful.

A good medium would be calling a person Mr/Miss, etc. (first name). Using a last name seems formal, but a first name is still respectful, IMO. 

• Love 7

I just realized why Laura's parents bug me with their communication style:  They remind me of my own Norwegian Lutheran Midwest way of communicating, lolol!!!  (I am trying to break these habits!!!)  Instead of coming right out and saying, "Look, are you gonna marry our daughter or what?"  it is a lot (and I mean a painful amount, to me) of "Well, uh, hmmmmmm.......well, are you going to......you know.......be a dad?  Gonna uh.......step up?"  JUST SAY IT!!!  

Max:  "When she turns 18, game over, she is MINE."   Oh Lord - get thee out of my house now.  Chloe, go to Max House of Horrors and raise your baby there.  Your parents are right, as smug as your mom is, they are right.  

Edited by Mrs. Hanson
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, not you again said:

I'm not sure where to put this. I've seen an episode or two of this show, and I even backed it up and had my husband watch - what is up with the back of Tyler's head? Are they surgery scars? Or is it just a very unfortunate hair part?

Lucky you asked this here. If you asked it on the Savage FB group you would have been attacked!

Apparently he had some medical issues as a kid and had cysts or something removed and no hair grows where they were. 

• Love 3

Just re-watched McK revealing her now 2nd teen pregnancy to Tim via the "Big Brother" shirt on the baby. She hands the baby to grandma, sits down & turns on the fake tears.

It was professional level manipulation.

Tim's response to the 'crying' - "WHAT?!"   Me thinks he's seen this before - & obviously it's worked before.

I also felt bad for inside kiddo who will no doubt see that cringeable seen with his/her mama whining about how much she doesn't want the kid; no warm fuzzies there.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

Just re-watched McK revealing her now 2nd teen pregnancy to Tim via the "Big Brother" shirt on the baby. She hands the baby to grandma, sits down & turns on the fake tears.

Tim's response to the 'crying' - "WHAT?!"   Me thinks he's seen this before - & obviously it's worked before.

I also felt bad for inside kiddo who will no doubt see that cringeable seen with his/her mama whining about how much she doesn't want the kid; no warm fuzzies there.

And Granpa Tim says, "We'll figure something out. We always do." So once again McKayla is given the message that she runs the show and can do whatever she wants and she'll be fully accommodated.

• Love 8
21 minutes ago, not you again said:

Good thing I'm not on FB then lol. I truly meant it innocently; I couldn't decide exactly what the situation was and in the few episodes I've seen it wasn't addressed. Thanks for the explanation.

It's a bit of a running joke in that FB group that there are four or five posts a day asking the same question about Tylor's hair. Some members are genuinely annoyed but I think mostly it's just funny.

• Love 2

I finally saw this scene about the $3000 bed. Well, Grampa Tim,  maybe you shouldn’t have let Michaela choose her bed from PB teen or Crate &  Barrel or Room & Board.* (I’d bet money it was  PB teen.)  And who was going to watch Timmy while  she really redid her bedroom to move back in with grandma and grandpa?!?! Can’t stand her stupid face.  

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

So many fake tears.  Hey Tim - instead of "we'll figure something out" how about telling McBabyMaker SHE has to figure it out??   Go get a job, work it out with Caelen, get day care.  Your stupid sobbing over  no college, no travel, no life" was such bullshit.  Learn about birth control when you were, oh....15?  Now you are almost 18 with TWO kids.  

And to put Timmy in that stupid shirt was lame.  

I saw a video posted somewhere where she was calling Timmy "wild" and "crazy" and I am like, girl, he is a BABY!!!  A growing toddler with LOTS of energy.  Get used to it girl.

• Love 2

I watched McKayla’s pregnancy update video while washing dishes. Lol. She’s 26-27 weeks. I don’t remember which. But amongst all her complaining about her active baby and various pains she said she’d recently been on a job interview. I didn’t realize employers were hiring obviously pregnant women. I know they can’t openly discriminate but it seemed strange to me. In just a few months she’ll need time off for the birth and the job would be left in a lurch again. Unless maybe she just wants to work for the holidays. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I watched McKayla’s pregnancy update video while washing dishes. Lol. She’s 26-27 weeks. I don’t remember which. But amongst all her complaining about her active baby and various pains she said she’d recently been on a job interview. I didn’t realize employers were hiring obviously pregnant women. I know they can’t openly discriminate but it seemed strange to me. In just a few months she’ll need time off for the birth and the job would be left in a lurch again. Unless maybe she just wants to work for the holidays. 

I can’t imagine what kind of jobs she’s qualified for. Did she even finish high school?  Has she ever worked before?  Maybe she’s doing it to appease the adults and the family.

• Love 2
19 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

You are right  - they can't discriminate against a pregnant woman but let's get real:  You are hiring for a boutique you own  Who are you going to hire?  A six months pregnant teen who can't master birth control or the other candidate?

I looked up one of her "vlogs" - I can't believe over 21,000 people have watched it!!  She is so dull.....

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

I saw a video posted somewhere where she was calling Timmy "wild" and "crazy" and I am like, girl, he is a BABY!!!  A growing toddler with LOTS of energy.  Get used to it girl.

Wait until she has two, although she'll probably just have the grands & great grand handle it.

2 hours ago, configdotsys said:
3 hours ago, not you again said:

I'm not sure where to put this. I've seen an episode or two of this show, and I even backed it up and had my husband watch - what is up with the back of Tyler's head? Are they surgery scars? Or is it just a very unfortunate hair part?

Lucky you asked this here. If you asked it on the Savage FB group you would have been attacked!

Apparently he had some medical issues as a kid and had cysts or something removed and no hair grows where they were. 

At one time he posted a long response.   At birth he had a "birthmark" that was considered pre-cancerous.  It covered a lot of his head.  It was removed when he was a tiny baby, but left some scarring.  When he was in kindergarten some sort of infection caused more surgery and more scarring.   I assume he has been ridiculed all his life (mostly by strangers).  It would be nice if he were able to address it--and have it treated with understanding--at a reunion show.   The people on the Facebook group are SO CRUEL, I wonder if they think nothing will happen to them or their families/friends.

Edited by Former Nun
  • Love 3

Ah, the season recap episode. McKayla's wearing a wig because her hair is falling out from this second pregnancy. 

These idiots are all excited that McKayla is having a second baby. What a bunch of scholars. 

Diego says he doesn't want another kid anytime soon, but hates condoms. Hmm.

• Love 11

Of course the other guys think Diego is cool. These girls all picked winners. 

I really hope Emiley does well in life. She seems sweet, if naive, and that moment between her and Bridget where she acknowledged how hard motherhood is was nice. I really want them to have a closer relationship.

Laura already wants another baby? Bless this mess. 

• Love 14

I was this many years old when I found out Laura's mom's name was Margee.

I rolled by eyes so hard when Lexus was all, "I'm proud of you, girl!" in reference to Emilee leaving Diego. Why don't you leave Shayden, then? He's no peach. 

I find it kind of shitty that they've got Shannon out there with McKayla instead of Cindy; but whatever.

• Love 18

Bridget seems calm. I wonder if she's gotten on meds. 

Krista just said Diego can be a jerk. Maybe someone has been reading online and seen that she's not coming off well. 

Krista and Fabian want Diego to enjoy his senior year? Tough shit. You had a baby. Things, and your priorities, should change. 

He doesn't take criticism well, and his parents just take up for his slack. 

This is actually painful to watch. He doesn't feed or change her, but wants to take her out the house? I see why Emiley doesn't trust him. 

Edited by Ivylady
Added more info about this train wreck
  • Love 14

It made me sad to see Emilee talking so happily about her relationship with Fabian, because you know Diego's parents totally side with him and have dropped Emilee like a bad potato.

Also, Fabian can miss me with his, "Do you want him to miss out on all the stuff you did?"

Ummmm.....

I mean, do I WANT him to and does he NEED to...two totally separate matters. 

I just do have to say one thing, though, in Diego's defense. I can see Emilee bitching that he never helps but not really letting him help. They aren't together anymore; Diego doesn't need to just sit at your house to see the baby. They need to get to court and figure all this shit out, because no one seems happy with the current arrangement.

• Love 10

You Go Emily!! Tell Diego to kick rocks! I'm glad she has the vision to not stick around in a useless relationship, eating shit from some manchild just because they have a kid together. 

Chloe is on to Jessica's gaslighting. You can't say "I don't care about you" and then say That's not what I meant when you get called on it. 

• Love 8
Just now, Adeejay said:

I don't particularly like Laura, but I like her parents.  They seem like good, simple, decent folks.  

They do. As much as Laura irritates me, she seems to be a good mother. Lucas is happy and healthy, and she doesn't seem resentful of him. Good luck on the marriage, tho. I think they're both too immature, but I could be wrong. 

• Love 5

They know Diego cares about her by the way he looks at her? Oh man. Not by his actions? These girls are so unprepared for life. 

Also, shut up McKayla!

I think I'm too old for this show. I keep yelling at their parents to put them out and stop supporting them if they want to act so grown. ??‍♀️

• Love 16

Fingers crossed that McKayla is serious about counseling because she needs it. 

Interesting that Tim, Cindy, and Shannon say there is nothing they could have done to prevent the pregnancy and McKayla and Caelan back them up. I wonder why those two were so resistant to bc and insistent on sex. 

Edited by Ivylady
Added more info about this train wreck
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

I don't particularly care for Laura, but I like her parents.  They seem like good, simple, decent folks.  

I thought their scene was so cute, when he said “guess I like you” & she said, “ I *love* you!!!” And they kissed.  Just real, authentic long-term relationship stuff. 

• Love 9

I’m officially off the Grandpa Tim train. I know he’s old, sick and tired but I’m over the blind admiration.

Ricki must not have seen the majority of Jessica’s footage. That woman is a pure narcissist and there’s not a shred of doubt in my mind that she’s told Chloe that she doesn’t care about her. I was yelling at the screen when Ricki took up for her. 

Diego. What a train wreck. His parents disgust me. And I don’t know why McKayla, Chloe and Caelen were  trying to get them back together. The three of them are no relationship experts. 

Laura and co. are very boring but Lucas is adorable. I hope it all works out for them. They seem to have a LOT more maturity than any of these other couples but I know the bar is basically on the floor so...

ugh. 

• Love 10