Type keyword(s) to search

Something Unexpected: Seasons 1 and 2 Discussion

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

So under this "no extra obstacles" idea, high school boys can get as many girls pregnant as they like?  No consequences?  Just trip down the lane of high school fun: games, dances, proms, girls-girls-girls, occasional homework and tests.  Boys, you have four years to make babies for the girls to take care of...in every way.   I can't get on board with this.

No different than girls being able to get pregnant as many times as they want. Both have a choice. But trying to get to a job without a car or find an employer that will schedule around school and homework and other obligations is not always possible. Why not start the financial obligation after high school if employment poses a hardship?

4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

This is good, but, can't get blood from a stone either, unless the guy is on unemployment I guess. He's got to be living off something.

It usually accrues even when the obligee isn't working. But no real way to force payment if he/she doesn't have a W2 or similar.

4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

This is good, but, can't get blood from a stone either, unless the guy is on unemployment I guess. He's got to be living off something.

Yeah, then it accumulates if it isn't paid.  If it goes too long without being paid, the driver's license is suspended, if it goes even longer, the person goes to jail.  Funny how the threat of going to jail makes a person cough up some dough.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

No different than girls being able to get pregnant as many times as they want. Both have a choice. But trying to get to a job without a car or find an employer that will schedule around school and homework and other obligations is not always possible. Why not start the financial obligation after high school if employment poses a hardship?

I'm still trying to figure out what hardship Diego will face if he has to get a job. Millions of teens in the U.S. have jobs in order to pay for their cell phones, cars, spending money, Starbucks, etc. I've never heard of a business schedule a worker around their homework: by high school, you should be able to prioritize and apportion your time accordingly. 

As for "other obligations," Diego's SOLE obligation is to his daughter now. He can cry all he wants about how unfair it is that he can't do what he feels like but every time he does that he should be handed a mirror and reminded that it was he who put himself into this situation, not anyone else.

• Love 12

Sorry, not buying the “can’t get a part- time job” excuse— many employers are willing to give after-school and weekend hours to students. I got a retail job at 16 and still managed to keep my grades up and got into a good college. What about a summer job? Did Diego have one? Many people also work part-time in college/university as well.

Unless Diego is struggling academically, I can not see why a part-time job would prevent him from graduating high school.

• Love 8
Just now, configdotsys said:

I'm still trying to figure out what hardship Diego will face if he has to get a job. Millions of teens in the U.S. have jobs in order to pay for their cell phones, cars, spending money, Starbucks, etc. I've never heard of a business schedule a worker around their homework: by high school, you should be able to prioritize and apportion your time accordingly. 

As for "other obligations," Diego's SOLE obligation is to his daughter now. He can cry all he wants about how unfair it is that he can't do what he feels like but every time he does that he should be handed a mirror and reminded that it was he who put himself into this situation, not anyone else.

Yes, Aria should come first. If Emiley has had to sacrifice furthering her education to care for her daughter, then Diego should have to make some concessions as well. No one is saying that he shouldn’ t graduate high school. However, if he is having a hard time doing schoolwork, he shouldn’t be playing sports, either. They are a huge time commitment. 

Emiley somehow managed to give birth during her senior year and complete her schoolwork to graduate— that couldn’t have been easy getting up with a newborn at night, etc. So Diego and his parents can miss me with their excuses.

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

If he can get one without jeopardizing his high school graduation, great. I would support that. I'm not talking about Diego in particular. I'm talking about as a general policy that mothers cannot receive any public benefits without ordering the father who is in high school to pay child support. Some kids in small towns can't work without cars. Some places aren't hiring PT. All sorts of reasons. Other obligations could include baby's pediatrician appointments, studying, receiving tutoring, watching the baby in the evening while the parent who has already graduated works or attends college, etc.

Edited by eatsleep
4 minutes ago, eatsleep said:

If he can get one without jeopardizing his high school graduation, great. I would support that. I'm not talking about Diego in particular. I'm talking about as a general policy that mothers cannot receive any public benefits without ordering the father who is in high school to pay child support. Some kids in small towns can't work without cars. Some places aren't hiring PT. All sorts of reasons. Other obligations could include baby's pediatrician appointments, studying, receiving tutoring, watching the baby while the parent who has already graduated works or attends college, etc.

I don't know if the agency would make an order against someone who is younger than 18. And if they did, I'd assume they would take into account that the child father is still in school. They do ask for all your information so that would be disclosed. I wonder if they would have special circumstances in that case. 

But Diego is 18 now and I'm sure he has a car. I can't imagine him either demanding his parents get him one, or him saving up money from when he did work to get one. He has zero reasons not to be working now other than his parents want him to graduate without the pressures of working to support his child. And apparently that was the case even in the summer because Emiley posted in the FB group that he didn't help her with the bills when he was living with her. The boy's on easy street.

• Love 7
24 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

I don't know if the agency would make an order against someone who is younger than 18. And if they did, I'd assume they would take into account that the child father is still in school. They do ask for all your information so that would be disclosed. I wonder if they would have special circumstances in that case. 

But Diego is 18 now and I'm sure he has a car. I can't imagine him either demanding his parents get him one, or him saving up money from when he did work to get one. He has zero reasons not to be working now other than his parents want him to graduate without the pressures of working to support his child. And apparently that was the case even in the summer because Emiley posted in the FB group that he didn't help her with the bills when he was living with her. The boy's on easy street.

Yes, but not forever. Not for much longer. He'll soon have to pay like everyone else.

15 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

Chloe had NOTHING to do with getting pregnant; the boys are always to blame...solely!  I think Jessica considers that her ownteenage years were "ruined" by a pregnancy (again, some boy GOT her pregnant; she had nothing to do with it.  She's still angry and upset about that and then the same thing happens to "her baby."   Jessica's threats: I agree.  I think that has been a way of life for Jessica...might be the reason Chloe's dad left the family.  Everyone (but Chloe) had decided long ago it was just easier to give in to the Relentless Jessica.

I've considered the idea that Jessica's anger about her teenage years being ruined has turned into actual resentment toward her daughter. And now that Chloe is in the same position, Jessica will make damn sure it isn't easy for HER either. 

I'm not saying it should be easy. I just find Jessica to be very nasty and manipulative with her daughter. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

I've considered the idea that Jessica's anger about her teenage years being ruined has turned into actual resentment toward her daughter. And now that Chloe is in the same position, Jessica will make damn sure it isn't easy for HER either. 

I'm not saying it should be easy. I just find Jessica to be very nasty and manipulative with her daughter. 

I think Jessica is handling things in an immature way, and she certainly is not helping things--however, I can't expect her to be happy about Max being the father to her grandchild, nor about her 16 year old getting pregnant by the 18 year-old she was only dating for 3 months. Max, who turned out to have a criminal charge and who stated in his TH that he wanted Chloe to get pregnant?

Now allegedly Max has "put hands on" Chloe and there is a order prohibiting him from contacting Chloe except in text concerning their child--also Max may be facing jail time or a period of probation--most parents would be less than thrilled. I'm not saying that Chloe should have to walk around in sack cloth or wear a scarlet letter, but I would not be treating her with kid gloves, either. I would be helping with Ava and necessities and encouraging Chloe to keep her grades up and finish school.

• Love 5
On 11/9/2018 at 10:40 AM, eatsleep said:

No different than girls being able to get pregnant as many times as they want.

Your premise is completely wrong.  What's different is Boy A can get Girl A pregnant...and then Girls B, C, D, E, and so on...within days!  Girl A can't have baby after baby after baby even in one year!  She has to wait (usually) at least nine months to pop out another one.  (Comedian Eddie Murphy has ten children proven to be his.  Not one Murphy baby-mama has even half that many.) 

• Love 10
On 11/9/2018 at 2:14 PM, ghoulina said:

I agree with you. 

• Love 1
On 11/9/2018 at 3:04 PM, Adiba said:

Now allegedly Max has "put hands on" Chloe

I like the "allegedly."   I wonder if Chloe has never put her hands on Max...allegedly.

Edited by HaaCHOO
typo-ooh.
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, HaaCHOO said:

I like the "allegedly."   I wonder if Chloe has never put her hands on Max...allegedly.

Yeah, I used that word because it was Jessica who filed the protection from harassment charge and stated that Max has "put hands on" Chloe (whatever that means and who did what to whom I don't know). So in fairness, I couldn't state anything as fact.

• Love 1
On 11/10/2018 at 6:37 PM, HaaCHOO said:

Your premise is completely wrong.  What's different is Boy A can get Girl A pregnant...and then Girls B, C, D, E, and so on...within days!  Girl A can't have baby after baby after baby even in one year!  She has to wait (usually) at least nine months to pop out another one.  (Comedian Eddie Murphy has ten children proven to be his.  Not one Murphy baby-mama has even half that many.) 

The issue isn't the number of babies each can make. It's that a high school diploma is worth more than the few hundred dollars they might be able to scrape together by forcing teens to work minimum wage jobs, if doing so would put them at risk for dropping out of school. 

On 10/30/2018 at 6:29 AM, ThinkerBell said:

That barbecue was painful to watch and somewhat creepy with all the guests sitting in a circle around the baby. I half expected Ruth Gordon to show up with a plate of deviled eggs and chocolate mousse for dessert.

YES!!! I was saying “Don’t eat the chocolate MOUSE!” during that scene and cackling maniacally. What a bizarre, dated reference-I love it.

• Love 1
On 11/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, PityFree said:

Where on Earth did  Makayla get that ridiculous wig???  Somewhere, there is a drag queen searching her dressing room for that missing piece of her costume.

No self-respecting drag queen would go looking for that rag! ?

On 11/5/2018 at 12:39 PM, PityFree said:

How about we buy cars for kids who *don’t* get knocked up in high school?

Not only did my parents NOT buy me a car in high school, I *was* having sex, using birth control, AND NEVER GOT PREGNANT!

On 11/5/2018 at 1:52 PM, Brooklynista said:

This is my problem with teenage sex.  None of these guys look like foreplay masters. I would bet 2 shiny quarters that these girls get very little enjoyment out of these sexfests.  Of course the condoms hurt, Calen has no clue that you have to  pre-heat an oven before you get to baking. 

Sadly some men never learn that. 

The only one that I think could have possibilities would be Caelan, but it makes me feel filthy to even think it. More than 4 times.

I figured McKayla was saying condoms hurt as an excuse, because they were lazy. Tylor might be able to preheat the oven, but Laura might be horrified.

On 11/7/2018 at 9:47 AM, Chris Knight said:

I'm still waiting for my parents to buy me a car. I'm almost 50. 

Right there with you, almost 51 here.

On 11/8/2018 at 8:31 AM, winsomeone said:

When these under age girls give birth, afterwards, can their parents insist that they have implanted birth control?  Being under age, don't their parents have the say so about all aspects of their medical care? If not, I wish that they did.

I had a friend get pregnant in late-ish high school. She had 2 options, strike out with her boyfriend, and be the adults they swore they were, or stay at home, have most expenses covered, finish school, liberal boyfriend visitation, built in child care, etc. The hook for the second option? Swallowing her birth control pill in front of her mom every morning.  She picked her mom, and my friend’s now (gasp!) 30 year old son is an amazing man. The dad did the fade before the kid was 2.

• Love 10
16 hours ago, EverybodyIsACritic said:

Not only did my parents NOT buy me a car in high school, I *was* having sex, using birth control, AND NEVER GOT PREGNANT!

Not only did my mother NOT buy me a car in high school, she  didn't get a car until I was 15 (sisters 13 and 11).  Until our area was taken into "the city," (city bus) she had to walk almost two miles to her FIRST bus.  SHE wasn't getting pregnant and neither were my sisters and I.  No one had a baby until after marriage...although the youngest was kinda close: 12mos.   This was decades ago; no "easy" artificial* birth control for girls.    (*we were Catholic; that's what things other than abstinence and "rhythm" were called)

Edited by HaaCHOO
  • Love 2

Welp. My daughter just sent me a pic from Lexus Snapchat. It was a pic of her and Shayden together with their shirts lifted. She's pregnant again. 

Oops! Apparently it was a memory from two years ago. Thank God.

Edited by Soup333
3 minutes ago, Soup333 said:

Welp. My daughter just sent me a pic from Lexus Snapchat. It was a pic of her and Shayden together with their shirts lifted. She's pregnant again. 

Kelsey needs to put her foot down and put her out.

You want to be a grown-up and keep making babies that you have no means and no skills to ever have the means to take care of?  Fine.  Then you're on your own.  So what if Lexus gets mad and keeps the kids away from Kelsey as punishment.  How much is enough with these entitled brats?  It has to end somewhere.  They shouldn't get to use the babies as leverage to keep the parents supporting them.  Kelsey needs to take a stand or it'll never end.

Yeah, Kelsey bears responsibility for how Lexus was raised, but she's done more than enough for Lexus in helping her with Scarlett.  Once can be chalked up to teenage stupidity and immaturity.  Twice?  Uh-uh.  Lexus knows what she's doing.  She would be out of my house.  Let her take her chances with Shayden.  Too bad they've got innocent kids mixed up in their obvious dysfunction.  

On 11/30/2018 at 10:18 AM, KBrownie said:

Kelsey needs to put her foot down and put her out.

You want to be a grown-up and keep making babies that you have no means and no skills to ever have the means to take care of?  Fine.  Then you're on your own.  So what if Lexus gets mad and keeps the kids away from Kelsey as punishment.  How much is enough with these entitled brats?  It has to end somewhere.  They shouldn't get to use the babies as leverage to keep the parents supporting them.  Kelsey needs to take a stand or it'll never end.

Yeah, Kelsey bears responsibility for how Lexus was raised, but she's done more than enough for Lexus in helping her with Scarlett.  Once can be chalked up to teenage stupidity and immaturity.  Twice?  Uh-uh.  Lexus knows what she's doing.  She would be out of my house.  Let her take her chances with Shayden.  Too bad they've got innocent kids mixed up in their obvious dysfunction.  

If you read the rest of the post you partially quoted, you will see that it was from 2 years ago. Not pregnant again. 

12 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

If you read the rest of the post you partially quoted, you will see that it was from 2 years ago. Not pregnant again. 

I didn't intend to partially quote anything.  The original post was edited.  Looking at the time of both posts, probably while I was typing my post.  Just a mistake.  I never looked at it again until I saw the notification that my post was quoted.  Not a big deal.

• Love 6

Sorry that was my fault for not “researching” it better. My daughter only sent me the screenshot so I didn’t realize it was old until I checked the fb group and of course someone had already checked it out. Apparently Shayden’s acne has improved since then. Lol. 

Hopefully Lexus IS on birth control and won’t pull a McKayla. 

• Love 1
On 12/21/2018 at 3:30 PM, configdotsys said:

So he has a juvenile history that includes adjudication for an armed robbery, his babymama has an order of protection against him but we’ll have a soft spot for him because he recently became a dad? What the what?

Wow. May Chole and the baby be safe. Not saying Max cannot be rehabilitated but HE has to want it, and has to pay for his crimes. He knows what he did was wrong. My concerns are him paying back the victim and serving his time. Of course the well being of the child. How can he support his child in prison?!!

• Love 1

Most of these kids especially the boys are seriously ignorant.  James the kid who says he doesn't need birthing class because he has seven siblings but knows nothing about circumcision or contractions. Or is his name shaken Lexus is boyfriend with a terrible acne, it's so  heartbreaking to see him take his daughters pacifier away saying she's a brat and that she's getting spoiled. He definitely needs a parenting class one week old babies cannot be spoiled you're trying to form trust there and he is very immature. Hopefully that girl can stick up for her child and not let him leave that baby screaming like that.   Thank God for her mother who they take total advantage of when all she's trying to do is the right thing. And then that boy thinks he's going to take the baby away he couldn't raise a Chihuahua. I thought I liked Michaela but her boyfriend was the only sensible one on the program and his mom did so much for her while her mom seem to just want to come around when the cameras came in.  I don't fault her for her problem with addiction but you don't come in and start acting like everybody should've just included you you come in and asked to be included you shouldn't have a problem with asking to have a CO baby shower so you can get some gifts