Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I don't know - they've never deleted that person's detailed spoiler posts before. That's why I deleted mine, even though from what we've seen they seem to be correct.

I'm going with they were right and CW's on a more alert watch for Crisis this time around. Maybe MG even warned them about stuff like this so they could delete it when it appears

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 2

All three Superman actors (Tyler Hoechlin, Brandon Routh, Tom Welling) - as well as a few other Arrowverse and Smallville actors - are at Wales Comic Con this weekend...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Made The New York Times...

A ‘Crisis’ Brings Together Many DC Comics Heroes
By George Gene Gustines    Dec. 6, 2019
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/arts/television/crisis-on-infinite-earths.html 

Who could have imagined back in 2012 when CW debuted “Arrow,” about a middling superhero unfamiliar to many viewers, that it would eventually spawn a rich prime time world encompassing several series and featuring dozens of colorful champions?
Here are some of the key players in “Crisis,” as well as reminders of where we left off with most of them. If you’re not caught up on the Arrowverse, be aware, possible spoilers ahead.

Green Arrow
The archer (played by Stephen Amell), who began his solitary crusade in 2012, is now surrounded by friends and family, including an adult son and daughter who recently arrived from the future. He has vowed to sacrifice himself to save Flash and Supergirl from their prophesied deaths in the Crisis. With “Arrow” ending after this season, will he get his wish?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

"Crisis on Infinite Earths" Will Change DC's TV Universe Forever
By Tim Beedle      Friday, December 6th, 201
https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2019/12/06/crisis-on-infinite-earths-will-change-dcs-tv-universe-forever 

“I don't think we ever really felt like the TV universe was too complex,” explains Consulting Producer Marc Guggenheim, the mastermind behind the crossover. “We've only got eight years of continuity and DC had fifty. But the way we all sort of looked at it was, it's an opportunity. If we want to fix something, it’s there. If we want to change something, it's there. If we want to set something up, it's there.
“You'll see that there are elements from the comic that we're tipping our hats to,” Guggenheim continues. “Like the quantum towers (which show up in the Crisis premiere) are from the first couple of issues of the comic. We wanted to nod to those. The scene where Lois and Kal-El put Jonathan in the pod is a nod not just to the origin of Supergirl and Superman, but the moment in Crisis on Infinite Earths #1 where Alexander Luthor is placed in a pod and rocketed off to safety. And then there's a pretty big nod to the comics in the third hour.”
While Conroy’s involvement in “Crisis” has been previously announced, fans may be surprised at some of the secrets that the crossover writers and producers have managed to keep under their hats (let’s just say you won’t want to tune-in late to Sunday’s episode). But for the writers behind the event, the heart and soul of the story are the frequently high-stakes choices characters are asked to make and the emotional fallout from them.
“One of the things we took a lot of pride in was being able to write an interaction on Argo City that kind of reimagines Zor-El saying goodbye to Kal-El,” shares Supergirl showrunner Robert Rovner. “Also, there's a scene you get between Mia and Oliver that I quite love when he gives her an Arrow costume, and there's a lovely scene between Clark and Kara on the balcony when they're talking about legacies and how do they move on from the destruction of Argo City at the beginning of the hour.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

'Crisis on Infinite Earths': What's in Store for 'Supergirl' & 'Batwoman'
Michael Maloney December 08, 2019
https://www.tvinsider.com/838508/crisis-on-infinite-earths-supergirl-batwoman/ 

On what viewers should know ahead of Crisis
Marc Guggenheim:
"In consultation with the network, they were of the opinion, and we agreed, that you really don’t need any kind of setup. It’s fun to [re-watch] see last year’s crossover and meet The Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) and know that a Crisis is coming and that Oliver (Stephen Amell) has made a bargain, but you get all that information in the body of the story. We’re not doing a recap. The only recap we’ll have is at the beginning of Part 4 in January. We feel like you can dive right in."
Keto Shimizu: "Crisis is essentially a prequel to our Season 5 [of Legends], however, it was shot out of order. We had to know the sequel to everything that was going to happen in Crisis before we even wrote it. It was challenging, but I think it actually ended up melding really well."
Guggenheim: "The scheduling is like playing three-dimensional chess with Rubix Cubes. We have a huge board that is bisected into boxes that represent a big calendar. Each show is color-coded: Arrow is green. Flash is red. Batwoman was tough – we went with maroon. Supergirl’s is blue ... We take all of our color-coded schedules and move strips of paper that represent scenes and we literally sit there with a paper cutter and move strips of paper [into the boxes]. The goal is to have every strip of paper in every one of those boxes [by the end]. It’s a schedule that’s held together with spit, bale wire, and hope. If you notice, when you see characters moving in and out of scenes, chances are that’s [happening] because of scheduling."
On the fun interactions in the first two parts of Crisis 
Rovner:
"One of the things we took a pride in is the interaction on Argo City. Also, Marc wrote a lovely scene between Mia [Katherine McNamara] and Oliver that I love. There’s a lovely scene between Clark [Tyler Hoechlin] and Kara [Melissa Benoist] on [a] balcony."
On putting the heroes in life-and-death jeopardy knowing they can’t really all be killed off
Schwartz
: "[Joking] They can’t?"

Guggenheim: "It’s a good question. It’s hard to answer without spoiling where we’re headed. I think once you see all five hours, all the twists and turns will feel satisfying."
On the possibility of more cameos from DC Universe characters 
Guggenheim:
"Yes. We’re still working on a bunch, actually. I think we considered just about everything there was to consider. Obviously, you don’t want it to be all about the cameos. You want just the right amount. There’s a sequence that is in in one of the upcoming episodes that is not dissimilar to the sequence you see in the first hour [on Supergirl]. If it all comes together the way it’s supposed to, it’ll be one of my favorite things."

Edited by tv echo

Promo for Black Lightning episode that follows Batwoman crossover episode on Dec. 9 (though technically not part of the crossover, you can see red skies over Freeland in this promo, and we know Jefferson shows up in the Flash crossover episode on Dec. 10)...

Black Lightning | Season 3 Episode 9 | The Book Of Resistance: Chapter Four Promo | The CW
The CW Network   Dec. 3, 2019

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

This just happened for me. If you live in the NY/NJ area, maybe you can relate:

Me: I'm just looking through the sport pages . . .

Newspaper: Yeah, Giants are playing tomorrow night on ESPN . . . and Ch. 11.

Me: Fucking what?!?

Newspaper: Is there a problem?

Me: That's the second part of Crisis!!! Where's the TV schedule?!? This can't be happening . . .

Newspaper: You've been out of the loop. I don't have listings on Sunday.

[a few minutes later]

Me:: This can't be happening. No fucking way should I have to miss the second part because the local area HAS to see the Giants' worthless asses play. Fuck, at least the Jets win games in between losing to previously-winless teams . . .

Cable: I got Batwoman at 8, Black Lightning at 9.

Me: For real?

Cable: Um, yeah.

Me: Wait, so where will Giants/Bears be airing here?

Cable: ESPN . . . and Ch. 7.

Me: The ABC affiliate. This is a Christmas/Holiday miracle.

Cable: Dude, your story framing device is weird . . .

So, yeah, the local ABC station should be airing Monday Night Football, pre-empting The Great Christmas Light Fight and The Good Doctor. I just wanted to share this because there's always a chance the CW affiliate might wind up airing MNF. In which case, I'd like options as to how I could see Batwoman ASAP, as opposed to waiting after I come home from work to watch On Demand.

• Love 3

'Arrow' star Katherine McNamara says that filming the 'Crisis' crossover event was 'utter mayhem' and it'll be emotionally 'exhausting' for fans
Olivia Singh Dec 6, 2019
https://www.insider.com/arrowverse-katherine-mcnamara-crisis-crossover-interview-2019-12 

"We were constantly running around from show to show and it was utter mayhem, but in the most organized way," McNamara, who stars as Mia Smoak on the eighth and final season of "Arrow," said during an interview with Insider. Her character is the daughter of Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) and Felicity Smoak (Emily Bett Rickards).
"All of us did multiple scenes on this crossover where we would just get shuttled to a set with about 20 minutes to do our reaction shots and throw out a couple of lines for a big group scene," she continued.

"It's movie magic a little bit to make it all work. But it's a huge credit to the whole Arrowverse team up there in Vancouver to really dig in and all the writers down here in LA really dig in and commit to making this work. And it's really going to be something special."

"It's like when you get to go on a field trip at school and meet up with another class, you kind of get to all play together and see what happens and see where that magic is," she said of working with her Arrowverse costars.
"I think Oliver has finally accepted his fate, or his potential fate, as it were, whereas Mia now understands why he made the choices he made when she was a baby and understands that he didn't take them lightly and he did it quite painfully, but in order to serve the greater good," the actress said.

"She now has a healthy respect for that, but she's not going to let him go without a fight," McNamara continued. "And that's kind of what we see Mia dealing with during the 'Crisis,' is fighting against the impending destiny that may or may not be able to be stopped."

McNamara also said that the crossover, which is the epitome of "legacy, sacrifice, and destiny," features "a healthy dose" of action sequences and heartfelt moments for fans. 
"I think they're definitely gonna need tissues and ice cream and maybe an energy drink throughout this because it's exhausting, both emotionally and physically for people," she said.

She continued: "But it's really great and it speaks to what the core of the Arrowverse is, that heart of these characters that are willing to fight physically and emotionally for the greater good and for what they believe is right and for the people that they love. You see that in every single character because the stakes are so high in this 'Crisis.'" 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

3 things to expect from the CW’s ‘Crisis on Infinite Earths’ after-show — including how EW is involved
BY NYOOZ ADMIN  DECEMBER 7, 2019
https://skystatement.com/3-things-to-expect-from-the-cws-crisis-on-infinite-earths-after-show-including-how-ew-is-involved/ 

“Crisis Aftermath” is a two-part special featuring expert analysis, interviews, and more to help break down all the big developments in the first half of the crossover. Part 1 will air immediately after the Supergirl episode, and part 2 will air immediately after The Flash. Here’s what fans can expect from the special TV event — including how EW is involved!
Executive producers Marc Guggenheim (Arrow, “Crisis”), Caroline Dries (Batwoman), Robert Rovner (Supergirl), Keto Shimizu (Legends of Tomorrow), and Eric Wallace (The Flash) are slated to appear on the panel over the course of both parts of the after-show. Expect Smith to grill each and every one of them with burning questions.

But wait, there’s more! “Crisis” stars Jon Cryer, LaMonica Garrett, and Katherine McNamara, along with Arrowverse newcomer Kevin Conroy, will also appear over the course of the two-part after-show to discuss their roles. And there are even more faces who will show up, like panel guest Dani Fernandez as well as a few others, but we can’t spoil all the surprises.
In addition to helping develop the “Crisis Aftermath” special, EW is stepping in front of the camera with Arrowverse expert and writer Chancellor Agard as he appears in a segment in both parts helping to break down the multiversal destruction fans will witness during the first few episodes of the crossover.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

If he says this to Mia before he (temporarily) bites it I will need to be sedated.

I'm sure it's something like that. 😭 (Allegedly) killing off the biggest "so long, farewell" first superhero of the 'Verse character so soon means he's totally, very sure to completely stay dead and that's it of course.

Edited by Featherhat
Just now, scarynikki12 said:

On Aftermath Part 1 Marc just revealed that Hour 4 will include the history of The Monitor. 

Listen, I want that information, but my first thought is they’re taking time away from one of Arrow’s episodes for that? Should’ve put it in Hour 3. The Flash (show and person) has already taken enough from Arrow (baby Sara). 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

My excitement for that episode, like Oliver at the moment, is dead on a table. 

It may be similar to the opening montage from hour 1. I definitely don’t expect it to take up a significant amount of time. 

8 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I swear I read that Amell is in all five episodes but we may be seeing doppelgangers.

SA had all five scripts when production began.

Idk if that necessarily means he's in all of the episodes, but right when it began he took a picture of all 5 scripts, so he had them for some reason.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 3

Also, going through bts and promo stuff, SA has at least 4 scenes left. One on Lian Yu, one at their Hall of Justice set from Invasion, one with that death shot with Barry from the first trailer, and one in the med bay on the Waverider.

Oliver may be dead now, but he's coming back. At least to die again or live this time.

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

This just happened for me. If you live in the NY/NJ area, maybe you can relate:

Me: I'm just looking through the sport pages . . .

Newspaper: Yeah, Giants are playing tomorrow night on ESPN . . . and Ch. 11.

Me: Fucking what?!?

Newspaper: Is there a problem?

Me: That's the second part of Crisis!!! Where's the TV schedule?!? This can't be happening . . .

Newspaper: You've been out of the loop. I don't have listings on Sunday.

[a few minutes later]

Me:: This can't be happening. No fucking way should I have to miss the second part because the local area HAS to see the Giants' worthless asses play. Fuck, at least the Jets win games in between losing to previously-winless teams . . .

Cable: I got Batwoman at 8, Black Lightning at 9.

Me: For real?

Cable: Um, yeah.

Me: Wait, so where will Giants/Bears be airing here?

Cable: ESPN . . . and Ch. 7.

Me: The ABC affiliate. This is a Christmas/Holiday miracle.

Cable: Dude, your story framing device is weird . . .

So, yeah, the local ABC station should be airing Monday Night Football, pre-empting The Great Christmas Light Fight and The Good Doctor. I just wanted to share this because there's always a chance the CW affiliate might wind up airing MNF. In which case, I'd like options as to how I could see Batwoman ASAP, as opposed to waiting after I come home from work to watch On Demand.

The CW affiliate in our cable package is WPIX out of New York, so I can relate.

7 minutes ago, Maverick said:

I guess we're supposed to assume Harbinger pulled The Ray off of Earth-X before it was destroyed so that he could be part of the comic story since we saw that Earth destroyed in the cold open.

And yet didn't save Michael Keaton.

REALLY, HARBINGER. PRIORITIES.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, way2interested said:

Also, going through bts and promo stuff, SA has at least 4 scenes left. One on Lian Yu, one at their Hall of Justice set from Invasion, one with that death shot with Barry from the first trailer, and one in the med bay on the Waverider.

Oliver may be dead now, but he's coming back. At least to die again or live this time.

He was wearing the season 5-7 suit in that promo. 2046 Oliver was wearing that suit in tonight's episode. So either they're going to bring older Oliver back again, or they were using the Hall of Justice set as a staging area when SA shot that promo. 

• Useful 1

Well, I think Ollie dying in part one lends some credence to the idea that he might return as The Spectre (who plays a rather crucial role in saving the remaining universes... to the degree that if Ollie as the Spectre did similar you could literally call it The Arrowverse in-universe  and not be wrong).

It wasn’t COIE, but another of the various DC crisis crossovers involved recruiting the spirit of the dead Hal Jordan (Green Lantern) to become the new host for the Spectre, in part due to his incredible willpower because only the Spectre could end that Crisis. I could see running with a variation on that premise since Ollie is basically The Determinator of the Arrowverse.

It would also explain the ending of season seven since being The Spectre means Ollie becomes a cosmic force and really wouldn’t be able to stick around in the mortal world.

Finally, it’s not entirely Crisis-related, but with Ollie giving Mia her suit and asking her to take up the Green Arrow mantle in part one, the Mia we see in Crisis almost HAS to be the same one we’ll see in the backdoor pilot (versus a new one created by a changed timeline).

• Love 2
11 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

Listen, I want that information, but my first thought is they’re taking time away from one of Arrow’s episodes for that? Should’ve put it in Hour 3. The Flash (show and person) has already taken enough from Arrow (baby Sara). 

The Monitor is mostly an Arrow character and Lyla is important to his story. It's appropriate that his backstory gets explored during the Arrow episode.

The Flash has already been sidelined enough and they have only aired one episode. I am sure Oliver and Mia will have a major presence throughout the crossover.