Type keyword(s) to search

Spoiler Discussion Thread: The Sequel

• Start Topic

I'm crushed.  I have little interest in the show without her but what I'm really going to miss is talking here. I had hoped we would have the summer to dream and plan together.

Even if she did have something lined up after Arrow, surely she could come back for a day or two at a time and shoot a few scenes?  Because while I like Oliver and now Diggle again, there is no one else on the show that I would tune in for.

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Twitter is mad at Emily. We don’t know who made the decision. It might be TPTB wanted to end with GA & BC working together and GA sacrifices himself in Crisis so Felicity is in hiding.

My timeline is like the comments here, sad to see her go but wishing her the best.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Sadly not so young by Hollywood standards. She's under 30 which is good but, needs to make a name now or it's going to get harder and harder and isn't that the shittiest thing ever?!

True - I should have said relatively young 🙂  

15 minutes ago, Mary0360 said:

They probably can't get a comment from the CW due to the weekend drop. 

Maybe - I used to work with networks (albeit in a very different role) and there are people who cover on the weekends.  If this was coordinated they would have had something ready to go when contacted.  I don't think it is nefarious - just amusing.  

15 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I went to lunch, and when I got back, I couldn't fathom while my Twitter TL had completely blown up. I'm so sad that Emily's leaving, but I'm excited for whatever she does next. I'm definitely not watching a Felicity/Olicity-less S8, but if she comes back for an episode or two to wrap things up –– as I suspect she will –– so will I.

I am going to need a lot of either booze and or chocolate to get through them but I'll tune in if only to get the occasional mention about her while I'm crossing my fingers she'll show up in the finale be it the Crisis or separate.  Still have hopes that will happen but my worries that they are killing Oliver off just went up.  

• Love 1

I am only a little surprised. A 10 episode season might please the fans, but the actors not so much since they miss pilot season and have to wait months for the next one. If Emily leaves at the end of season seven, she can hit the upcoming pilot season and be available next season if she gets a series pick up. Good luck to her.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I am going to need a lot of either booze and or chocolate to get through them but I'll tune in if only to get the occasional mention about her while I'm crossing my fingers she'll show up in the finale be it the Crisis or separate.  Still have hopes that will happen but my worries that they are killing Oliver off just went up.  

Same. I had some hopes that something (other than Crisis) would happen to trigger a change and we might get to see the beginning of a new future, but since I think the secret pregnancy was planned specifically to accommodate Emily and Stephen's departure, I'm kinda worried that...oh, this one's sticking. 

I still have hope that Crisis changes things, or that...IDK old Oliver pops up in the future and they both get written out of the flash forwards with at the very least a happy retirement ahead of them. I would take 20 years of misery without him if he pops back up and gets to spend time with his family vs. Felicity raising Mia without him. 

• Love 6

I can't help but feel annoyed that JH is gonna be female lead for the final season, even though she hasn't earned it. LOL. My mind went there, I'm sorry. I just hate Dinah so much and JH has been smug one too many times for me.

I won't be watching S8 now but I'm crossing my fingers that they can hopefully get EBR back for the series finale and the crossover, or even just the finale. They need to give this some semblance of a happy ending (although now I'm kinda worried about future Felicity tbh). Sigh. 

This SUCKS.

I need to process this. At the moment I’m just really sad. I wish the network had allowed Arrow to end with S7. My desire to watch S8 is gone. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 20
11 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I am only a little surprised. A 10 episode season might please the fans, but the actors not so much since they miss pilot season and have to wait months for the next one. If Emily leaves at the end of season seven, she can hit the upcoming pilot season and be available next season if she gets a series pick up. Good luck to her.

She’s got a play lined up already. The production company has been hinting at an announcement on April 2.

In a joint statement to ET on Saturday, Arrow executive producers Greg Berlanti and Beth Schwartz said: "We’ve had the pleasure of working with Emily since season one and in those past seven years she has brought one of TV’s most beloved characters to life. And although we’re heartbroken to see both Emily and Felicity leave the show, we’re completely supportive of Emily and her future endeavors. She will always have a family at Arrow."

https://www.etonline.com/arrow-star-emily-bett-rickards-to-leave-at-end-of-season-7-122436

• Love 5

I just got online today and this news was the first thing I saw. I'm sad. I'm happy for her that she got to decide when to leave but I was really hoping she could stick it out for the last 10 of s8. I wish her the best with whatever she chooses to do next but I'm still sad. (I'm also just a tiny tad bit annoyed and kinda wish this show just ended in s7 since I doubt anything's gonna change their depressing future during s8, anyway, 'cause Felicity will be gone.)

giphy.gif

• Love 11
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

She’s got a play lined up already. The production company has been hinting at an announcement on April 2.

Yep. I think the announcement is that the play is going to be in New York.

Stephen told GB at the end of S6 that he wanted to leave after S7. I have to imagine he gave Emily and David a heads up about his decision. If Emily made a commitment to do the play after filming on the series ended, it's understandable why she wouldn't or couldn't change those plans after TPTB got Stephen to agree to the 10 episodes in S8.

I'm mostly interested to see what the ratings/online engagement/buzz for Arrow is going to look like in S8 with no Felicity and Olicity. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I don’t recall, but did SA say he was in all 10 eps of S8 when he announced the end or just that there will be 10 eps? 

I think he said Arrow would be back for a 10 episode final season. People (myself included) assumed he'd be in all 10. Figured the 10 episode count was based on his negotiated contract

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

I can't help but feel annoyed that JH is gonna be female lead for the final season, even though she hasn't earned it. LOL. My mind went there, I'm sorry. I just hate Dinah so much and JH has been smug one too many times for me.

I won't be watching S8 now but I'm crossing my fingers that they can hopefully get EBR back for the series finale and the crossover, or even just the finale. They need to give this some semblance of a happy ending (although now I'm kinda worried about future Felicity tbh). Sigh. 

This SUCKS.

Normally I want spin offs to stay far away from Arrow but in this case bring on Star City 2040. S8 is nothing but Mia/Will/Connor. KM for female lead. 

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I think he said Arrow would be back for a 10 episode final season. People (myself included) assumed he'd be in all 10. Figured the 10 episode count was based on his negotiated contract

Even though I won't be watching, I hope for the show's sake that Stephen is going to be in all 10. Because if there are going to be entire episodes with no Oliver, they might as well just end the show now –– unless they're doing an experiment to see if they can get down to 15 viewers.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Even though I won't be watching, I hope for the show's sake that Stephen is going to be in all 10. Because if there are going to be entire episodes with no Oliver, they might as well just end the show now –– unless they're doing an experiment to see if they can get down to 15 viewers.

If he is going to be in every episode, I just...I really need to know what reason Felicity gives for leaving and what excuses Oliver gives for her absence, LOL. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Chaser said:

Normally I want spin offs to stay far away from Arrow but in this case bring on Star City 2040. S8 is nothing but Mia/Will/Connor.

You know, that could be a way to do the final season and lead into both Crisis and a spinoff without dwelling on Felicity not being around.  If they do, say equal time between Future Team Arrow and the Mark of Four (just assuming this will be focus since it hasn't happened yet and doesn't include Felicity), then they can drop hints in both present and future that relate to Crisis and let FTA show how well they work together.  Then Crisis becomes the starting point for the spinoff and an ending point for Arrow.  I still think the best way to handle a FTA spinoff is to take them out of their time, destroy that future, and place them in a new setting.  They'd have some angst, since their parents and allies would all be dead, and that would explain the present versions not being around either since that would be weird for them and they'd be working towards different futures anyway.  They could let OTA retire, FTA would step in to do the non-powers stories, and can take their place in the crossovers.  If the do a FTA spinoff the only other show they could interact with would be LOT, which would be fun but limiting unless the plan is to stop crossovers altogether. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know they already have the set-up for Felicity (and Oliver) leaving Star City in present time but what will they do with Felicity in the future? Is she gonna sacrifice herself for her kids ala Moira? I don't want it. I don't want this. Can they just say Felicity's leaving to go wherever in the future, too? Just keep her off-screen while Mia and Will and Connor have their adventures?

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I hope for the show's sake that Stephen is going to be in all 10. Because if there are going to be entire episodes with no Oliver, they might as well just end the show now –– unless they're doing an experiment to see if they can get down to 15 viewers. 

If his screen time gets reduced, then he may do the thing where he films a bunch of his scenes in chunks so it looks like he may not be in every episode but then it turns out he is.  That would allow him more free time to spend in LA, look for his next role, or whatever interests him without having to stress about filming.

36 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

Stephen told GB at the end of S6 that he wanted to leave after S7. I have to imagine he gave Emily and David a heads up about his decision. If Emily made a commitment to do the play after filming on the series ended, it's understandable why she wouldn't or couldn't change those plans after TPTB got Stephen to agree to the 10 episodes in S8.

I think his is exactly what happened. Everyone assumed season 7 would be the last and made other plans, and the TPTB convinced SA to come back for another 10 eps.  It’ll be interesting to see if anyone else in the cast leaves because they booked shows, assuming Arrow was wrapping in S7.

It’s hilarious to me that this didn’t seem to be a coordinated announcement and she just did her own thing. I think some of the cast knew she was going to do it because of their immediate replies, but usually statements from the producers are sent to media ahead of time and outlets prep the story to run as soon as the news drops. Seeing them all scramble to get confirmation and watch the stories go from a few sentences to being fully fleshed out means they had no warning and she did this on her own, which I kind of love.

I guess we’ll know Tuesday more about her play’s run, but I’m hoping/assuming Arrow’s production can figure out a way to bring her back for the final episode. I had really thought a shortened 10-episode run would give the show time to craft a satisfying ending, and now I’m at the point where the best I can hope for is for them to fix things in the finale. I don’t blame EBR one bit, but this is an incredibly disappointing way to close out our show.

• Love 11

I know that I will end up watching season eight, just to see how it all ends, but my interest has just bottomed out. I just cant imagine Arrow without Felicity and have no desire to. If she is in hiding or something, or some consequence of whatever happens in the crisis, and comes back for the last episode so she and Oliver can have their happy ending, I could live with that, but its just not the same show. 

Really, the best thing they can do is focus on Mia/William/Connor starting Team Arrow 2.0 in the future, with Felicity in off screen land on a long ass vacation with Oliver or something, when they find him again. I dont want to watch an arrow that is saturated by Newbies, especially as the show is ending. 

I am so terribly sad about this, and I admit to wishing for her to stay until the end, but I really do wish Emily nothing but the best. She has created one of my favorite characters in TV history, even when the writers let her down, and I will be happy to follow up to whatever project she finds next.

• Love 15

I was currently binging the show (1/3 through S5, though I’ve seen all the crossovers already) with the hopes of being caught up in time to watch S8 live and finish out the story with characters I loved - Oliver, Felicity, and Diggle. But knowing what’s ahead in S6 and S7 and now that Felicity won’t even be in S8 means I’m pretty much not interested in getting caught up. I’ll come back for the finale to see it end, but this messy stretch to the end doesn’t hold any interest for me. I do love EBR and hope she’s off to do fantastic things and will definitely make a point to watch her in future projects. But I have no love or loyalty for Dinah or Rene and I’m not sticking around to hatewatch. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Angel12d said:

This SUCKS.

UGH yeah with this news I do worry we might get a Felicity Death in the FF maybe dying in Mia's arms and telling her Daughter that's it's okay shes gonna be reunited with her Father 😭

28 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

If he is going to be in every episode, I just...I really need to know what reason Felicity gives for leaving and what excuses Oliver gives for her absence, LOL. 

Well, if they're following the flash forward's canon, it makes sense. Felicity leaves before she gives birth to Mia. Depending on if Stephen really WILL be in all 10 episodes or not, they could easily explain Felicity being away and in hiding from Dante or whatever villain they come up with for season eight. Then, if they rewrite the flash forwards during Crisis, then they could hope that Emily can make a cameo and see the Queen-Smoak family being rewritten with a happy ending. They could have Oliver making phone calls to Felicity, for sure. Since it is only ten episodes, it'll be jarring, but not as bad as if she were missing for 22 episodes. 

I'm not seeing a good storyline, though, for Oliver in particular for the last season when his wife and kids won't be in Star City. What can they possibly have Oliver do in Star City with Rene and Dinah and whatever new characters they introduce to fill the void? 

Part of me would rather Stephen didn't make an appearance in all ten episodes and that he would simply just pop in every so often in Star City, since then at least we'd know that he's with his family. But then what's the purpose of a shortened eighth season with Oliver, since they only gave the show a final season because of Stephen? At least I'm now curious for the finale and how they set up the final season. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Chaser said:

I need to process this. At the moment I’m just really sad. I wish the network had allowed Arrow to end with S7. My desire to watch S8 is gone. 

Agreed. This season with Rene and Especially Dinah get more screen time at times than Felicity and getting more screen time with Oliver annoyed the shit out of me and now we are only gonna get More of it.

• Love 3

This sucks. I am holding out hope that at least the x-over will alter the bleak future somewhat. And that Felicity will be in at least the Finale. I want some kind of happiness for Olicity and OTA. 

The prospect of more Dinah/Rene/Emiko in Season 8 is very unappealing. I`d rather they sneakily re-air some Season 1 and 2 episodes for Season 10 and hope noone notices. 

Honestly, there's only ONE way that the show will get me fully on board with season eight, and it's a real long shot (AKA, not likely at all).

Bring back Colin Donnell as Tommy. If the last season had any version of Tommy hanging out with Oliver, then I'd definitely be in, even without dear Emily. 

Seriously, nothing else would excite me more....or at all. Just Tommy would satisfy a final season for me. 

Second choice would be if grown up Mia and William came back from the future. I don't want season eight to focus on future scenes because the future is super depressing and looks like nothing fun can really transpire from there. I don't even care that it's a Flash move; it's at least something that's not about Dinah, Rene, and Emiko. 

Actually, I wonder if Kat and Ben are just signed on for this season or if they'll continue the flash forwards into next season.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, if they're following the flash forward's canon, it makes sense. Felicity leaves before she gives birth to Mia. Depending on if Stephen really WILL be in all 10 episodes or not, they could easily explain Felicity being away and in hiding from Dante or whatever villain they come up with for season eight. Then, if they rewrite the flash forwards during Crisis, then they could hope that Emily can make a cameo and see the Queen-Smoak family being rewritten with a happy ending. They could have Oliver making phone calls to Felicity, for sure. Since it is only ten episodes, it'll be jarring, but not as bad as if she were missing for 22 episodes. 

I'm not seeing a good storyline, though, for Oliver in particular for the last season when his wife and kids won't be in Star City. What can they possibly have Oliver do in Star City with Rene and Dinah and whatever new characters they introduce to fill the void? 

Part of me would rather Stephen didn't make an appearance in all ten episodes and that he would simply just pop in every so often in Star City, since then at least we'd know that he's with his family. But then what's the purpose of a shortened eighth season with Oliver, since they only gave the show a final season because of Stephen? At least I'm now curious for the finale and how they set up the final season. 

Oh yeah, it totally makes sense given the secret pregnancy, I guess I just always figured Oliver went with her and stayed? If it's not safe for them to publicly have a baby, it just seems weird to me that he would ever leave her - although I guess maybe he might not be in every episode, or if he is, it doesn't have to be large chunks of time. I guess they could always give the excuse of ARGUS guarding her or something (despite their past failures with doing that successfully). 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Second choice would be if grown up Mia and William came back from the future.

Mia, William, and Bronze Kitten find a way to travel back in time to prevent the future hellscape, get stuck here when they end up successful, and then get their own show where they fight crime. 

• Love 10

The future might be determined by whatever happens in Crisis, and that would presumably affect where Felicity and Oliver end up in the future, and on the show. Its possible everything might change after that, and we will have a totally different future by the end of it, so who even knows if what we have been seeing is real? If they want, they can basically do anything if they want to push a few reset buttons.

9 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Mia, William, and Bronze Kitten find a way to travel back in time to prevent the future hellscape, get stuck here when they end up successful, and then get their own show where they fight crime. 

Ok, so I know by Bronze Kitten, you mean Connor. But I read that and my first thought was "BABY SARA?!?!" I don't even know why. But yeah, Future Team Arrow would be the only choice for season eight's major plot stuff if it can't be OTA.

• Love 2

I found her line about canaries interesting. 

Is she trying to push canaries one last time or is she just refering to the canaries vs Olicity fans fued during her time on the show. 

I dont think she's the bitter type to make a dig in her farewell statement. 

1 minute ago, KittenPokerCheater said:

I wonder how the writers are going to fanwank this, in light of what they've been writing all season.  Also, because I'm cynical, I bet this is because they couldn't come to terms on salary for season 8.

They already showed us that Oliver and Felicity went into hiding and that no one apart from Diggle and Nyssa knew about their kid - so they don't have to come up with any reason for it, they're just following the story they've already written.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
11 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Ok, so I know by Bronze Kitten, you mean Connor. But I read that and my first thought was "BABY SARA?!?!" I don't even know why. But yeah, Future Team Arrow would be the only choice for season eight's major plot stuff if it can't be OTA.

One of my post-Crisis hopes is for Baby Sara to return (as Adult Sara) so I'm on board with her joining FTA.  Oh that could be even more perfect!  Just make it a big family affair with Mia, William, BK, Adult Sara, and Adult JJ.  You really don't need anyone else. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is there any scope for her to guest star or is it pretty determined she's never coming back?

I can't imagine they wouldn't get her to show up for the finale.  They can film a happily ever after with her, Oliver, and their kids before they wrap on season 7 if they aren't sure of her schedule when they film in the fall.  They can even keep it under wraps like ER did when they got Clooney to do a cameo during Margulies last episode to give everyone a happy surprise. 

• Love 14

I keep starting to post but I can't figure out what I want to say. I wish Emily all the best but I can't imagine watching Arrow without Felicity.

Now in addition to Oliver's mission seemingly failing, he apparently largely abandoned his wife and baby to continue to try to save a city that annually tells him to fuck off. Gee, that sounds great...

• Love 6

Let me just say this: I want plenty of Olicity, Felicity/Diggle and, in the future, Felicity/Mia and Felicity/William scenes in the remaining episodes of this season. 

(Also, does it make me a horrible person that I fully expect EBR’s exit at the end of the season to overshadow KC’s if she does leave at the end of 718?)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

One thing I can't work out, did she just make her announcement when she felt like it or did she tell them in advance?

Did SA know or did he find out today?

Beth? 

Studio/Network would have dictated when she could make the post. At least the earliest possible date.

1 minute ago, Mellowyellow said:

Did SA know or did he find out today?

Beth? 

Beth has to have known for a while now considering the trajectory of the season, and I can't imagine she wouldn't have mentioned something to Stephen even before she told Beth. 

• Love 2

Ah, I was wrong 😞 

Well....I wish Emily the best, and hope she can come back for at least the crossover and the final episode 

I don't fully remember, didn't Beth say that this years flash forwards would be a finished story this season or its own thing or something like that? Maybe the season ends with Oliver returning in the flash forwards and Oliver and Felicity (and Oliver and Mia + William) reuniting and that sort of being a happy ending? COIE could then potentially make it a better happy ending or not, but at least they'd already be together in this future.

I guess part of it depends on if they still want to continue the flash forwards/have a spin off. They could always make it a sliders type story, with the new gen being lost in the multiverse and trying to find their own universe which would explain why the other characters are absent.

Edited by RedVitC
deleted a line
8 minutes ago, RedVitC said:

I don't fully remember, didn't Beth say that this years flash forwards would be a finished story this season or its own thing or something like that? 

All I remember her saying about them is that they would remain for the duration of the show. 

I am really sad that Emily won't be in season 8 but at the same time, I am happy she found another type of work that excites her. I wish her all the best. As for Arrow, I will stop watching it after this season and will only come back if Emily decides to come back for the series finale. 

• Love 4

This was a disappointing shock to wake up to. 😥 As everyone has stated interest in Season 8 has just plummeted.

Ever since we saw the birth in the flash-forward scenes I had a tiny little worry in the back of my mind that the Story was accomodating EBR's exit and unfortunately it seems to be true. Now I just need the niggling worry about killing off Future Felicity to go away. Please, please please don't let this happen. They have been basically giving us everything we ever wanted for Felicity/Olicity this season, just need the future reunion of Oliver and Felicity. I need hope for the future 20 years is already too long!

It feels like Crisis on infinite Earth is trumping have a decent natural ending for Arrow, it can just piss off IMO.

While I'm happy for EBR to do what she wants to do, I'm not in a happy place about Arrow.

So now we have a Canary Episode, then 3 episodes through to the season finale to try and Enjoy some decent Queen Family time. It won't be enough, I guess I'm free sooner than I thought, but not sure what I'll do with all this spare time, not obsessing about Arrow. I'll probably spend it still picking at Arrow, checking in, being disappointed, hoping for a Season Finale Olicity return. *sigh*.

I will miss this board so much...even though I mostly lurked the last few years, it's always been my favourite place.

If they want to make Star City 2040 a Series they should probably announce now and keep the flash-forwards out of Season 8, because I think I'll be just depressed if Felicity is missing form the future cause she is dead and if not, would they have Oliver there but without Felicity, it would be so bitter-sweet since they just had a presumed 20 YEARS APART.

The ties to Olicity is what Anchor the future scene IMO, more Dinah or Roy is not going to cut it. 

Edited by Genki
  • Love 6