Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: Indianapolis City Finals

• Start Topic

Flex Labreck! Tyler Yamauchi! And Isaac Caldiero, the Million Dollar Ninja! Okay, they don't call that, but it's a bit implied. You think Geoff Britten is stabbing a bearded voodoo doll right about now?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

Wow. So many stunned looks at Isaac's wipeout. And I can't blame them. Holy shit, he didn't make the Warped Wall.

Looking at the reactions again. Akbar drops his mic. You know, on any other show, I'd say that was taped afterward . . . but I'd buy that being the first and only take. Of course, if the ninjas and crowd were prompted? I wouldn't be that shocked. Seriously, this was a bigger surprise than Jessie wiping out at the end of Stage One last year.

• Love 1

Did they ever show Travis Rosen’s run? I saw his name on the leader board at the end and I’m like “did I just miss it?” The prodcuers continue to baffle me as to what runs they will or will not show. 

• Love 2
27 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wow. So many stunned looks at Isaac's wipeout. And I can't blame them. Holy shit, he didn't make the Warped Wall.

Looking at the reactions again. Akbar drops his mic. You know, on any other show, I'd say that was taped afterward . . . but I'd buy that being the first and only take. Of course, if the ninjas and crowd were prompted? I wouldn't be that shocked. Seriously, this was a bigger surprise than Jessie wiping out at the end of Stage One last year.

I was forewarned to watch for it... and yes I laughed about it too. I think the reaction was real, though maybe it was retaken after. 

I assume any commentary we see from the booth is recorded that night; maybe retaken that nite if needed. Anything voice overed (like the majority of their colour commentary) is recorded after the fact. Especially if they give any comments on "So and So ran the City Finals.." since often time they don't know who runs when during filming. 

Once again the second obstacle was replaced; I suspect we'll see half the courses swapped the 4th and half swapped the 2nd. This time it wasn't as deadly as last time. Cane Lane more than made up for it of course. That one is going to need more tuning; maybe more of a hook on the cane will work, 

Nice that Jesse made it legit into the finals too. 3 finishers, 10 more wiped on the cane. 

Edited by Taeolas
  • Love 2

I agree, Timothy - -I just love Travis Rosen but it’s not a show-off or a dick, so he’s always just given a small note.  And, by the way, the note is usually “HE HAS ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE!”.  

I, too, laughed when Isaac fell and I think it was at least in part to him wearing those stupid khakis.  It just didn’t look like he had the range of motion - i know he made it through the balance obstacle in the same outfit, but still.

I also think it says a LOT that none of the Wolfpack (particularly B Arnold, who competed in the same city) was on the sidelines cheering for Isaac.  

Still love Flex!

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, TimothyQ said:

Did they ever show Travis Rosen’s run? I saw his name on the leader board at the end and I’m like “did I just miss it?” The prodcuers continue to baffle me as to what runs they will or will not show. 

They showed him from the middle-ish, I think. Then he went out on the hook thing. That thing is evil.

4 minutes ago, Taeolas said:

and yes I laughed about it too.

3 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

I, too, laughed when Isaac fell

Then I don't feel so bad. ;)

4 minutes ago, VartanFan said:

I just love Travis Rosen but it’s not a show-off or a dick, so he’s always just given a small note.  And, by the way, the note is usually “HE HAS ONE FOOT IN THE GRAVE!”.

I was reading the showboating thread and someone mentioned that (I just looked again to see if it was you because they used the exact same phrase). He's a year older than me. I'm not in any where near as good shape, but I don't feel that old.

• Love 1

I worry that the women competitors are psyching themselves out.  Tonight, hearing how important it was for a woman to do ______(fill in as needed), all I could thing was that this kind of thinking leads to failure.

Perhaps only Joe Namath gets away with certain levels of boasting, and he's paying in his old age. 

The guys who appear to appreciate the run and have fun doing it have a much better chance of finishing after a quality run.  

People under pressure can only do well if they are really accustomed to that level of pressure, or can just turn off the outside world.

IMO the women placing lots of back story pressure on themselves and NBC magnifying that pressure.....are going to put off the day when a woman wins.

But Isaac fell, and he fell badly where few others did.  That will affect him for years to come.  

In the off season we can work on  Haiku for Isaac's fall.

• Love 3

I see I'm in good company here.  I was shocked when Isaac fell but pretty happy about it though.  I hope that takes his arrogance down a peg.  Or three or four.  

Travis Rosen is one of my two top favorites so I hate when they don't show his full run.  I also groan when they call him old.  My kids are older than Travis Rosen.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

They showed him from the middle-ish, I think. Then he went out on the hook thing. That thing is evil.

Ah, thanks. I guess I did just miss his run. I'll go back and watch. He's a favorite.

When Flex mentioned that Kacey had been the last one to complete a city final, I thought "There is no way she'd have been able to complete THIS city final." LeBreck continues to amaze me for having gotten to the cane obstacle.

• Love 5

Travis Rosen has made Vegas 9 years in a row. He doesn't deserve the WWWA treatment. The man is a friggin' legend, show him some respect. 

It was very un-Christian of me, but I applauded when Isaac went into the drink. Buh-bye. 

• Love 8

My husband asked if anyone fell on the balance thing. I told him plenty fall on it during the first round but hardly anyone falls on it at the City finals. Then Isaac fell and I laughed. And laughed and laughed.

I'll see you all in hell because his fall entertained me to no end.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Wow. So many stunned looks at Isaac's wipeout. 

Except in Casa Lovecat (and apparently in a lot of your houses), where we laughed and lauuuuuughed...

Hubs was like, "Are we the only ones laughing?" and I assured him that my imaginary friends on the teevee boards were laughing along with us.  Thanks for not proving me wrong :)

• Love 6

I don’t hate Isaac. I mean, I get how he’d rub people the wrong way, but my bar for being classified as an asshole is pretty high thanks to reality shows in general. The only real immediate positive was the reaction from Matt & Akbar.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Kazzy25 said:

Isaac Caldiero fell! Isaac Caldiero fell! Isaac Caldiero fell! Isaac Caldiero fell! Best part of the night.

I laughed so hard!

7 hours ago, LadyNebula said:

Travis Rosen has made Vegas 9 years in a row. He doesn't deserve the WWWA treatment. The man is a friggin' legend, show him some respect. 

That made me mad too.  I'm happy that he placed 7th out of 15.

Jesse Labreck and Chris DiGangi continue their weird symmetry of falling in a similar place.  When he fell on Cane Lane, I figured that Jesse would too.

14 hours ago, enoughcats said:

IMO the women placing lots of back story pressure on themselves and NBC magnifying that pressure.....are going to put off the day when a woman wins.

I'm putting my hopes on Alyssa Beird to hit the buzzer.

• Love 1

Okay I just put this episode on from my DVR and there is this disembodied female voice describing some (not all) of the things on the screen and I cannot figure out why this is happening. I've never heard this before on this show. It is SO distracting and in some cases what she is describing is a few seconds ahead of what's on screen. It's stuff like "Isaac Caldiero flexes in a polo. Mike rips off his pants to show a speedo. Mike uses a cane to cross the first curved bar. She leaps between wheels." Did this happen to anyone else's recording?!

5 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Okay I just put this episode on from my DVR and there is this disembodied female voice describing some (not all) of the things on the screen and I cannot figure out why this is happening. I've never heard this before on this show. It is SO distracting and in some cases what she is describing is a few seconds ahead of what's on screen. It's stuff like "Isaac Caldiero flexes in a polo. Mike rips off his pants to show a speedo. Mike uses a cane to cross the first curved bar. She leaps between wheels." Did this happen to anyone else's recording?!

It's a SAP setting on your TV.  Depending on your set-up, you can either fix it on the TV or right through the cable remote.  Google "SAP setting" and whatever cable company or TV remote you have.

SAP is good to switch on for some shows - it cuts down on the loud dramatic music for some shows we watch.  On other shows, it supplies the narration you described; on other shows, it does Spanish dialogue.  All depends on the programming.  But it's an easy fix, once you figure out how to switch it on and off.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

It's a SAP setting on your TV.  Depending on your set-up, you can either fix it on the TV or right through the cable remote.  Google "SAP setting" and whatever cable company or TV remote you have.

SAP is good to switch on for some shows - it cuts down on the loud dramatic music for some shows we watch.  On other shows, it supplies the narration you described; on other shows, it does Spanish dialogue.  All depends on the programming.  But it's an easy fix, once you figure out how to switch it on and off.

Thanks for the tips! But nothing is coming up for my searches. This is the WEIRDEST thing, it has not happened for any other show and it only describes about 10% of what's happening, and "descriptive audio" is turned off for my TV. It is so irritating I will probably delete this recording and watch it online instead.

4 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Thanks for the tips! But nothing is coming up for my searches. This is the WEIRDEST thing, it has not happened for any other show and it only describes about 10% of what's happening, and "descriptive audio" is turned off for my TV. It is so irritating I will probably delete this recording and watch it online instead.

Hope you get it figured out.  We sometimes forget to turn SAP back off, and turn on the TV and hear a broadcast in Spanish.  Since we don't speak Spanish, it is definitely disconcerting!  

• Love 1

Okay I just put this episode on from my DVR and there is this disembodied female voice describing some (not all) of the things on the screen and I cannot figure out why this is happening. I've never heard this before on this show. It is SO distracting and in some cases what she is describing is a few seconds ahead of what's on screen. 

That happened to me recently too but I heard it only on ANW and Master Chef for some reason.  When I used my TV remote (the one from Samsung), the setting was toggled off so I couldn't figure out what was causing it.  I finally used my Comcast/Xfinity remote and found it ON there and switched it off.  I can't imagine how I could have drilled down to that setting accidentally and turned it on but it's off now.  On my remote, it was Menu>Setup>Audio Setup>Descriptive Video.  Good luck.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, mlp said:

That happened to me recently too but I heard it only on ANW and Master Chef for some reason.  When I used my TV remote (the one from Samsung), the setting was toggled off so I couldn't figure out what was causing it.  I finally used my Comcast/Xfinity remote and found it ON there and switched it off.  I can't imagine how I could have drilled down to that setting accidentally and turned it on but it's off now.  On my remote, it was Menu>Setup>Audio Setup>Descriptive Video.  Good luck.

Thanks! I will look into that. It is weird how complex settings can somehow get bungled out of nowhere! 

On topic, this episode has been good, I agree with everyone who said it seems better edited!

6 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I don’t hate Isaac. I mean, I get how he’d rub people the wrong way, but my bar for being classified as an asshole is pretty high thanks to reality shows in general. The only real immediate positive was the reaction from Matt & Akbar.

I don't hate him, either, but they make such a big deal of him that I couldn't help myself. 

2 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

That happened to me once on some random sitcom rerun on some obscure channel one day. Took me a while to figure out what it was. I didn't change any settings and it's never happened again. *shrug*

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Deianeira said:

Jesse Labreck and Chris DiGangi continue their weird symmetry of falling in a similar place.  When he fell on Cane Lane, I figured that Jesse would too.

It may have to do with them training on all the same obstacles. When an obstacle comes up that they don't have in their own gym, then they both fail at it.

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 1

Oh Flex. She was making it look easy, and she didn't look gassed out at all. I have no doubt that she would have finished easily. Sigh. 

18 hours ago, TimothyQ said:

Ah, thanks. I guess I did just miss his run. I'll go back and watch. He's a favorite.

When Flex mentioned that Kacey had been the last one to complete a city final, I thought "There is no way she'd have been able to complete THIS city final." LeBreck continues to amaze me for having gotten to the cane obstacle.

Yes, agreed. The courses have definitely (IMO, at least) increased the difficulty each year, as the ninjas get better and better. I'm not disparaging what Kacy accomplished 4 years ago, but what the women are doing now is equally amazing even if they don't technically hit the buzzers. Some are right up there finishing ahead of some great male competitors, who aren't all finishing the courses either.

Ethan has finally grown on me. The Swan is goofy and ridiculous, but he's having fun with it.

21 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Trevor is going to be a Ninja superstar within 2 years.  

He had a hell of a run! 

Also impressed with Rigel(?) for powering through even though he was struggling. Very cool.

I know they are getting more impressive runs all the time which take up more show, and that they need to introduce new faces as some of the older ninjas might be retiring, but I really, REALLY hate not seeing the veteran runs. 

Isaac...I laughed, but also felt bad. He seems to have toned down the arrogance a bit. But I will always be bitter over him beating Geoff.

• Love 4

I'm really not a fan of long hair on men, but I actually watched the Team Hair segment, and laughed. Not quite as loud and long as I laughed at Isaac's spectacular fall, but I laughed. I remember thinking just as his run started, it would be hilarious if he fell, but I didn't think it would be so early in the course that it disqualified him from Vegas. Wow.

The speedos and other skimpty/tight outfits on men don't bother me, just like it doesn't bother me on women. I remember the uproar over that one female teacher's outfit. Moving on. At least the speedo is related to the guy's profession, and not just a gimmick to grab attention. I'd rather see that than yet another sob story which I always fast forward through.

The women competitors continue to rock! Was also amused by the deaf ninja taking a moment to teach the audience how to sign "beat that wall". And no showing cheesecake unless you're going to share some with me. That should tell you my level of physical activity.

Edited by Richness
Browser got carried away and submitted before I finished composing.
  • Love 3

Add me to the laughed at Isaac party... man that was some good TV. ?

Trevor lives about 15 minutes from me so I’ll be rooting hard for him going forward. He had a very impressive run! 

Man I wanted Jesse to finish the course so bad. She still did amazing and I still want to be her when I grow up. 

Also like everyone else had said, I’m getting beyond tired of the treatment of most of the veterans. They are the reason I watch. I especially HATE how they show one run in the corner during commercials. Frankly I’d rather have it WWWA’d over that. 

• Love 3

See,and I don't care about skimmpy outfits on the competitors either, unless they spend all their time adjusting their tops or pulling wedgies out of their butts.  That's the problem I had with Alyssa two years ago.  Not her outfit but her reaction to her outfit.  I wouldn't ever try to run an ANW course in clothes I'd never practiced in.  It's just dumb.

I was saying today that if any of the "named" women ran the city finals course Kacy did, they would finish too, barring a slip or something like that.  The women are running badass now and the courses are decidedly harder than when Kacy made history.

I didn't laugh at Issac, but I smiled.  I just think he probably thought he'd have it easy for at least two more buzzers.

I liked the deaf Ninja but I don't think being deaf is so much of a hindrance on the course.  Unless you DQ and don't realize it and don't stop running the course, that's the only set back I can see. 

Swanson's mom looks like a canary when doing the swan.  She needs to loosen up her shoulders.  ?

Again with the WWWA crap for vets?  Ugh.

I'm surprised Patriotic Beard made it through, I thought he'd be below the 15. 

I wanted to see the Dog Walker make it further.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, srpturtle80 said:

I especially HATE how they show one run in the corner during commercials.

My husband, not a fan of ANW, decided that the commercial and a run was brilliant.  He chuckled that it stopped people fast forwarding through the run, much less channel surfing through a run.  He predicted it would become more common in the future and maybe in other reality TV shows.

I didn't have the heart to tell him that it's done on live sports shows.  I was using NASCAR to lull me into an afternoon nap, and remember a similar split screen being used there.  Not to mention the ESPN four to eight screens you can watch on some individual sports (golf) or to choose which football game you want to follow for a while.

23 hours ago, Lovecat said:

Hubs was like, "Are we the only ones laughing?" and I assured him that my imaginary friends on the teevee boards were laughing along with us.  Thanks for not proving me wrong :)

Please, "virtual friends", not imaginary. 

ETA: I do have an imaginary friend, but I don't think he posts on here.  Pretty sure, at least.....

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 8

I fast forward through the split screen viewing. Most baseball games are using the split screen to run commercials while a relief pitcher is warming up or throwing his warm up pitches. We still change the channel.

16 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I was saying today that if any of the "named" women ran the city finals course Kacy did, they would finish too, barring a slip or something like that.  The women are running badass now and the courses are decidedly harder than when Kacy made history.

That course was tailor-made for a gymnast. That why she was so successful there but hasn't been successful since.

• Love 1
On 8/8/2018 at 8:24 AM, enoughcats said:

My husband, not a fan of ANW, decided that the commercial and a run was brilliant.  He chuckled that it stopped people fast forwarding through the run, much less channel surfing through a run.  He predicted it would become more common in the future and maybe in other reality TV shows.

I watch exclusively on Hulu and I can't see the runs during commercials at all.

I am another one who laughed at Isaac falling - I believe guffawed is actually more accurate. Talk about poetic justice! He acts like he is God's gift to this show but I feel that some of his win was luck - the obstacles he faced in the city he started in and Geoff having to go first on stage 4, etc. He had varying degrees of success in the seasons prior to the one he won, and this season is no different. I just pray that someone soon can defeat the course so we don't have to hear about him anymore.

For the same reason,  I was so bummed Flex fell - I'm sick of being reminded about Kacy being the only woman to complete a City Finals course! Rooting for her, Jessie Graff, Alyssa Beard, Megan Martin or Barclay Stockett to get it done someday soon!

• Love 4

I'm in the minority (maybe a minority of one!) in that I watched to see Isaac, and was disappointed he fell, and on such an "easy" (subjectively easy) obstacle. I was looking forward to seeing him AND all the veteran Ninjas compete in finals. I don't have any problem with him coming back since obviously TPTB wanted him back, and his "I've had this polo shirt since I was 10" was funny, as is his new wholesome Country Club appearance. I see he's back to being a pro climber again as opposed to the restaurant busboy the show made him be for his winning season. I swear on his last run he was shown living in Nashville, and now he's in Chattanooga, a city that makes more sense for a professional rock climber. It's a beautiful area, Chattanooga.

I'd rather see Isaac, who can still run a course, than Kasey, who has been promoted non-stop every season yet can't quite cut it any more. And what happened to her pro wrestling gig? She quit ANW but still seems to be there being interviewed every time I turn on this show.

I know it takes a while to get to know the new Ninjas, but I still tune in to see my favorites run the entire course and not get a WWWA. I guess TPTB don't agree.

It would be fun to have the course Kasey conquered rebuilt for all the women Ninjas to have a shot at finishing now. I'm guessing they all would. Back in the early days, NO ONE made it up the warped wall. Time marches on!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 4
On 8/6/2018 at 7:34 PM, enoughcats said:

In the off season we can work on  Haiku for Isaac's fall.

Haha! I love that idea~

Sorry not sorry
Pride goeth before the fall
Who is howling now?

Big head, cold water
Should have worn different pants
And not been a dick

Edited by Nonja
  • Love 7
On 8/6/2018 at 9:57 PM, mtlchick said:

Seriously, who in production hates Brian Arnold? 

Doesn't everyone?  Just kidding, but he's been my least liked character since the season where he announced he quit his job so he could focus on ninja full-time, when he had a wife and two (I believe) kids.  I later noticed she was out of the picture completely.  He seems like a self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing douche bag.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, BarneySays said:

Doesn't everyone?  Just kidding, but he's been my least liked character since the season where he announced he quit his job so he could focus on ninja full-time, when he had a wife and two (I believe) kids.  I later noticed she was out of the picture completely.  He seems like a self-absorbed, self-aggrandizing douche bag.

Even worse: she was his GIRLFRIEND (they have since gotten engaged and possibly married by now). I was like "dude, you cannot put that on a woman who isn't even your WIFE."

• Love 4
On 8/22/2018 at 11:52 AM, BarneySays said:

Agreed. I've disliked him since his first season.

• Love 1
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:24 AM, enoughcats said:

My husband, not a fan of ANW, decided that the commercial and a run was brilliant.  He chuckled that it stopped people fast forwarding through the run

As others have said, he's wrong.

• Love 1