Type keyword(s) to search

The Past Seasons Discussion Corollary

My favorite moments are actually from Sheldon, some of them where they get serious and actually make him human.

There is one, I think it was a Christmas episode, where he opens up about his grandfather and how he was the only one in his family to encourage his scientific interest and hwo upset he was when he died

Then there is also the one where he has a secret room he goes into every day, and Raj and Howard are trying to figure out what he does there. He tells them how just day to day interactions are so hard for him and he uses this place just for some time each day away from people to kind of settle down.

Both are so heartfelt and make understandable, for a brief period actually makes one empathize with Sheldon

Also the episode where Howard gets the letter from his dad, and they all make up versions of the letter to tell him, but he doesn't know which one is real

I saw the first half of this at my gym, and was sad that my workout was over because I wanted to see the part where Sheldon revealed why he was going to that room every day! 

My least favorite in the early seasons is "The Large Hadron Collision"--not because it's not funny, but because it was so contrived. I understand why Leonard wanted to bring Penny to Switzerland for Valentine's Day, but since he was going to be at CERN for at least part of the time, I don't see why he couldn't tell Sheldon to come with them, pay his own way, and he could see the Supercollider. Penny didn't even know what it was or why it was significant, I doubt she would've minded not joining in in favor of shopping or getting a massage.

• Love 3

I don't see why he couldn't tell Sheldon to come with them, pay his own way, and he could see the Supercollider. Penny didn't even know what it was or why it was significant, I doubt she would've minded not joining in in favor of shopping or getting a massage.

Not to mention it seemed unlikely that on the day of the trip Sheldon, and as  it turns out Raj, could have gotten on the same flight Leonard was taking for anything but a boatload of money!  I could be wrong but I don't think it's that easy to change an airline ticket unless they were going first class and the ticket cost a boatload of money.   The days of travelling on a ticket that has someone else's name on it are long over!

Also is it really so difficult to get in to see the supercollidor that a physicist of Sheldon's supposed reputation couldn't have managed to get in to see it on his own?

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1

Also is it really so difficult to get in to see the supercollidor that a physicist of Sheldon's supposed reputation couldn't have managed to get in to see it on his own?

My people!  My husband is tired of the way I point out stuff like that when we watch TV shows.  "Relax it's a sitcom"!  But still I expect a little common sense to be applied.  Another episode where I end up talking back to the TV is the one where Howard finds all the uncashed cheques in Sheldon's desk drawer and Sheldon says he doesn't put them in the bank because "I don’t trust banks. I believe that when the robots rise up, ATMs will lead the charge."

Ok it's a funny line, the whole routine is funny and I laugh but at the same time I'm going, "so what good will your cheques do you then?  they'll just be pieces of worthless paper in a desk drawer!"

Edited by Homily
  • Love 1

The key word is "supposed". The university president doesn't agree.

The key word is "supposed". The university president doesn't agree.

At that specific moment in time Sheldon wasn't being sent there by the university but I don't believe that in the years since Sheldon went into the field of physics that he could never, ever have had the opportunity to go see the supercollider.  Checking out their website they offer tours for teachers and students, I really doubt that they would do that and exclude world class scientists like Sheldon is supposed to be from ever having an opportunity to go there.  Travelling money, for Sheldon, isn't an object  - all he has to do is cash some of those cheques!

• Love 1

Travelling money, for Sheldon, isn't an object  - all he has to do is cash some of those cheques!

Yes I know it's a TV show but in real life wouldn't an employer investigate why cheques aren't being cashed?  I can see the finance department going crazy at year end trying to reconcile their books!

Not only that, but cheques actually do stale date at a certain point. Where I live you get 6 months unless its a government cheque or certified funds. I've seen US cheques with a 90 day stale date printed on them though I don't know if that holds up legally. It'd be one thing if Sheldon cashed his cheques and had envelopes full of cash earmarked for future purchases or something, but those cheques should be pieces of paper at this point. His bank might not even take them anymore.

• Love 2

I've seen US cheques with a 90 day stale date printed on them though I don't know if that holds up legally.

Probably not. Banks are required to give you at least 6 months to cash a check. The last I heard there's a 7 year limit. In between, it's up to the bank and they're not consistent. Depositing it through an automated system is more likely to be successful than trying to get cash for it at a teller's window. None of Sheldon's checks would be worth anything if the university has changed bank accounts; the account they were drawn against would have been closed at some point after they switched. He'd have a valid claim to the money, so he should be able to get a new check from the appropriate office.

Sorry if starting random topics isn't allowed, but I'm afraid if I post this in the Quotes thread it may not get seen. If it needs to be moved over there, please do so and my feelings will not be crushed. :)  

I only started watching this show a couple of years ago, and it was because of something Sheldon said. I had just turned on the episode, knowing it was BBT but hadn't ever seen it before. Penny and Sheldon were walking up the stairs and Penny asked Sheldon how he was. Instead of saying "Fine, thanks." or something of the like, he went into this long-winded, ridiculous explanation of how he was. and with that, I was hooked. I found it HILARIOUS, and I knew I had to start watching the show. I can't remember what it was that Sheldon said, but I really want to see that again. With all the reruns I have watched I have never come across it.

Thanks in advance!!

Opinions requested...winter is headed our way and I've been binge watching old seasons. I quit watching the prime time shows around year six because too many commercials and I just stopped caring about the characters. 

So if you were going to recommend seasons to watch from season 6 until now, which would you choose?

Season two. In my opinion it starts getting good right there. Remember this line? "OH NO, NOT EUCLID AVENUE!!!!" Cracks me up every time. Season two is just so good. Season one they were just finding their feet so most of that season (not all, most) was a bust. Season two now? Nowiski, Panties on the phone lines, Rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock, "Look Leonard, Sheldon's HUGGING ME!"

So many good ones.

Skip season one.

• Love 1

Season 2 was their best one, I think. What are good episodes or seasons from S6 to now though? I recently watched an ep and was pretty bored throughout. I think I also stopped watching regularly around that time (S6). Any recommendations for stuff since then?

• Love 1
On 11/30/2016 at 0:53 AM, KatWay said:

Season 2 was their best one, I think. 

Speaking of season 2, I just saw the Panty Pinata Polarization.  In the tag, Howard and Raj have entered the Top Models house, posing as cable repairmen.  It was just played off as a joke, but I would have loved to have seen how events unfolded once they were inside that house.  Most likely they were quickly discovered and removed.  If they had actually gotten anywhere, there surely would have been some stories bragging about their exploits.  Still, I would have liked to see it.

14 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

In The Zazzy Substitution, I'm surprised Leonard didn't site the Roommate Agreement about the cats.

The only one who seems to care about the Roommate Agreement is Sheldon. I've never seen Leonard bring up the Roommate Agreement unless Sheldon is trying to enforce some random rule from it.

Leonard has never seemed interested in the Roommate Agreement or fighting with Sheldon over it (with the exception of Priya's intervention). I would assume that Leonard's name is also on the lease (the later season apartment switch seems to indicate that) which means the Roommate Agreement really doesn't mean anything and that Leonard basically just humors him because it's easier that way.

Recently one of my local stations aired the episode in which Leonard tells Penny the story of why he is Sheldon's roommate, and specifically about how Sheldon not only saved his life, but didn't "rat me out to Homeland Security." I think they should try to air that episode after every new episode in which Sheldon is being a jerk.

• Love 2

I was watching reruns on the Comedy Network and The Allowance Evaporation came on.

I don't understand how Raj was so much in debt since his dad was paying his bills. Except for the lease on his car, the rent on his apartment and the secret credit card, his debt wouldn't be so significant as the show made it out to be. 

Actually he would have accumulated a significant amount of funds since he wasn't personally paying for alot of things.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, greekmom said:

Actually he would have accumulated a significant amount of funds since he wasn't personally paying for alot of things.

I think you're underestimating how much Raj spends on his dog. Cinnamon gets spa treatments and food like fois gras.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, greekmom said:

I don't understand how Raj was so much in debt since his dad was paying his bills. Except for the lease on his car, the rent on his apartment and the secret credit card, his debt wouldn't be so significant as the show made it out to be. 

They're just so stupid about money on this show. I've been watching the marathon on Comedy Channel as well and in one episode we have Leonard thinking marriage counselling would help him and Penny get past that totally dumb kiss he shared with someone when he was on the ship - but freaking out at the idea of paying $250 an hour.  Fast forward a season and we learn he spent about $4-5,000 to have a train camp for Sheldon in his back pocket that he could pull out when things got desperate.  So seriously show?  Seriously?  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

They're just so stupid about money on this show. I've been watching the marathon on Comedy Channel as well and in one episode we have Leonard thinking marriage counselling would help him and Penny get past that totally dumb kiss he shared with someone when he was on the ship - but freaking out at the idea of paying $250 an hour.  Fast forward a season and we learn he spent about $4-5,000 to have a train camp for Sheldon in his back pocket that he could pull out when things got desperate.  So seriously show?  Seriously?  

Was there some reason the counseling wouldn't be covered as part his mental health insurance through the university?

I can only guess that the outrageous money and cost distortions are supposed to be jokes.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Zoe said:

Those kind of services are usually only offered for a limited number of sessions.  Looks like it's 5 at Caltech.

That would likely be for their Employee Assistance Plan which tends to be geared towards more acute situations. The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Act requires that mental health services are covered the same as physical health services so if they were seeing a therapist they could have more visits. 

On 1/8/2018 at 8:53 PM, shapeshifter said:

Was there some reason the counseling wouldn't be covered as part his mental health insurance through the university?

I can only guess that the outrageous money and cost distortions are supposed to be jokes.

Yep, especially since in this instance Leonard never even mentioned the possibility of counselling being covered through his work or Penny's.  It wasn't something he was serious about pursuing, it just made for a couple of funny lines.  

I just watched the episode with the physics bowl, where the guys kick Sheldon off their team, and Raj suggests getting that girl from tv's Blossom to take his place. I decided it would be hilarious if, in a future episode, Miyam Bialik came to CalTech and somehow interacted with everyone (including Amy in a split screen) and everyone noticed the resemblance except Sheldon.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, craziness said:

I just watched the episode with the physics bowl, where the guys kick Sheldon off their team, and Raj suggests getting that girl from tv's Blossom to take his place. I decided it would be hilarious if, in a future episode, Miyam Bialik came to CalTech and somehow interacted with everyone (including Amy in a split screen) and everyone noticed the resemblance except Sheldon.

Spoiler

But Amy's been wroking on CalTech already so what excatly do you mean?

lorbeer - Way back in the first season, Raj wanted to get "that girl who played tv's Blossom (played by Mayim Bialik)" on their physics bowl team.  That got me thinking that it would be funny to have Mayim Bialik playing herself (a real-life neuroscientist) and playing Amy (another neuroscientist) via split screen, maybe having the 2 of them (Mayim and Amy) collaborating on something. And have everyone comment on their resemblance, except Sheldon.

• Love 2
On 31.01.2018 at 4:47 AM, craziness said:

lorbeer - Way back in the first season, Raj wanted to get "that girl who played tv's Blossom (played by Mayim Bialik)" on their physics bowl team.  That got me thinking that it would be funny to have Mayim Bialik playing herself (a real-life neuroscientist) and playing Amy (another neuroscientist) via split screen, maybe having the 2 of them (Mayim and Amy) collaborating on something. And have everyone comment on their resemblance, except Sheldon.

Thanks! :) I wasn't familiar with this tv show but now I get it. :) And I agree... it would be interesting and for sure Sheldon wouldn't notice their resemblance ;)

• Love 1
On 10/1/2014 at 12:50 AM, Kalliste said:

That's true, plus they got into comics for one episode and then after that apparently knew nothing about them. I don't know why they can't take more interest in things the guys are interested in, it would make the show more likeable I think.

Why can't it be the way it used to be with sports?  The wives didn't care about any of it, but let the husbands have their private interests without being pressured to think that everything had to be a couple thing.

• Love 1
On 8/25/2014 at 11:22 AM, henrysmom said:

Pharmacy rep?  I just don't buy it.  Yeah, the job involves looking good--I work in hospitals and I've never seen a pharmacy rep that wasn't dressed incredibly well (dresses for women, suits for men) and weren't good looking.  But they are also educated people.  You usually need at least a bachelor's degree to even get a chance at a job.  Most of the reps I know have at least some experience in healthcare and most have extensive experience in sales.  The field is well paying and incredibly competitive.  A waitress/actress with no education barring a couple of community college classes?  I don't care how pretty Penny is (and considering some of the reps I've seen, she isn't so beautiful she'd be hired for looks alone).

I swear, I wish the people who write these shows would at least google "Pharmaceutical Sales Representative Job ads".  If they did they'd seen most jobs require at least a Bachelors degree.

Does a car salesman need a degree in automotive engineering?

1 hour ago, Sage of Main St. said:

Does a car salesman need a degree in automotive engineering?

Car sales seems to be more of a revolving-door position, where they'll give somebody a shot and replace them if they don't cut it.  A manager like Penny's boss needs to be able to point to something to justify a hiring. Usually that's a good resume, but a solid recommendation works too.

2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Car sales seems to be more of a revolving-door position, where they'll give somebody a shot and replace them if they don't cut it.  A manager like Penny's boss needs to be able to point to something to justify a hiring. Usually that's a good resume, but a solid recommendation works too.

Didn't Bernadette get her the interview, and then Penny and the manager bonded over their fear of Bernadette? I believe that was the point that justified his hiring Penny.

• Love 3

Yeah, it might have been unrealistic for Penny to be able to do the job but unless having a degree was essential to the position I would think the hiring manager would have a fair bit of discretion in who he chooses to hire.  If we accept that Penny met whatever minimum qualification you need to at least get the interview then her being hired because she and the manager bonded works for me.  

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, lorbeer said:

I don't think Penny has a sister.

She may not have one anymore but she was certainly referenced at least twice that I can recall.  An early episode where Penny goes to the comic book store to buy comics for her 12 yr old nephew (this was the episode where she meets Stuart and they go out) then in a later episode Penny talks about how her father would really miss not being able to walk her down the aisle as he couldn't do it for her sister because "her water broke".  Both these episodes of course contradict the episode where we first meet Penny's father and he tells Leonard "I want grandchildren before I die".  So in short the writers can do whatever they want about the back stories and we viewers just have to go with the flow --  and vent here :).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

She may not have one anymore but she was certainly referenced at least twice that I can recall.  An early episode where Penny goes to the comic book store to buy comics for her 12 yr old nephew (this was the episode where she meets Stuart and they go out) then in a later episode Penny talks about how her father would really miss not being able to walk her down the aisle as he couldn't do it for her sister because "her water broke".  Both these episodes of course contradict the episode where we first meet Penny's father and he tells Leonard "I want grandchildren before I die".  So in short the writers can do whatever they want about the back stories and we viewers just have to go with the flow --  and vent here :).

Now that you mentioned this, I can actually remember ;) I'm sure the most logical explanation is that she was talking about her birth sister (is that correct expression?), but could it be that she was talking about her first cousin?

(edited)

I don't think the writers think about the back stories beyond the next episode,  If that!  Another example, talking about siblings, is that Beverly celebrated her 60th birthday last year and yet in an early Priya episode (4th season - 2011)  Leonard mentions that his sister is 38.  There is no way Beverly, at 60,  has a daughter who must now be mid-40s!  Sure it's technically possible but given the parents advanced degrees and the way they talk about Leonard's homelife I am not buying teen pregnancy and very young parents!  It's just another example of lack of continuity.  :shrug:  annoying but there ya go.

Edited by BlossomCulp
4 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

If her nephew was the son of her brother's now ex, and  her sister's baby didn't survive, Penny's father would still be looking for grandchildren.

1 hour ago, BlossomCulp said:

There is no way Beverly, at 60,  has a daughter who must now be mid-40s!

Who says Beverly was only 60 when she celebrated her 60th birthday? She may be engaging in the social paradigm in which women feel compelled to misrepresent their ages.

• Love 1
(edited)
33 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

If her nephew was the son of her brother's now ex, and  her sister's baby didn't survive, Penny's father would still be looking for grandchildren.

It's fun to make up reasons why an inconsistency might not be an inconsistency - there is a lot of material to work with on BBT - but I really don't think either of these options works - most particularly the idea that Penny's father would say "I want grandchildren before I die" if he had a grandchild who had died!  Pretty cold!

33 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Who says Beverly was only 60 when she celebrated her 60th birthday? She may be engaging in the social paradigm in which women feel compelled to misrepresent their ages.

I think Leonard would know how old his own mother is!  And Sheldon would probably have a good idea as well and would never go along with a lie so casually!

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 1
23 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

It's fun to make up reasons why an inconsistency might not be an inconsistency - there is a lot of material to work with on BBT - but I really don't think either of these options works - most particularly the idea that Penny's father would say "I want grandchildren before I die" if he had a grandchild who had died!  Pretty cold!

His phrasing does suggest that he didn't consider himself to have ever been a grandfather; perhaps it was stillborn. He can't help what he wants, and he did wait until Penny was out of the room.

23 hours ago, CherryAmes said:

I think Leonard would know how old his own mother is!  And Sheldon would probably have a good idea as well and would never go along with a lie so casually!

Leonard was more concerned about being out of the loop. Sheldon will go along with a "non-optional social convention", so he just needed to be told that Beverly lying about her age fit into that category, although he'd probably crumble if anyone asked him if she was really that age.

• Love 1

I wonder if TBBT will address Mr. Hawking’s death in some way?  Maybe he hasn’t played ‘Words w/Friends’ for weeks and Sheldon gets upset.  Or he doesn’t respond to their wedding invitation.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, roamyn said:

I wonder if TBBT will address Mr. Hawking’s death in some way?  Maybe he hasn’t played ‘Words w/Friends’ for weeks and Sheldon gets upset.  Or he doesn’t respond to their wedding invitation.

Given his line of work, his friends line of work and where he works I’d be shocked if he didn’t know about it within 24 hours.

• Love 1

I'm sure that TBBT will address Hawkings death...but not for several weeks.  In other words, it will probably be added (somehow) into whatever episode they are filming  now (or the next one), but it will be a while before it airs.

• Love 1