Type keyword(s) to search

Season 10 Spoilers, Speculation and Social Media

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Sasha888 said:

Let's just say for example they had a boy. I get how he would be Kody's half-brother, and half-brother-in-law, but I don't get how it would be his uncle? Ugh...these people make my head hurt! :-)

You're right Sasha, I lost a generation there, it would be his half sibling, not uncle.  I need a spreadsheet!!!

• Love 3
On 12/23/2018 at 9:17 AM, laurakaye said:

I have an idea - since I feel partially responsible for @LilWharveyGal's weekly recaps (due to my stubbornness about handing Vudu $24.99 to watch the Brown Clowns...I eventually caved because I had to see the spectacle of FT and Mykelti's wedding with my own eyes), I was wondering if we should take turns recapping the episodes for this coming season.  Reading those recaps was a highlight of my day, but unless our fearless recapper wants to once again take the reins, taking turns might be a fun thing to do.  Everyone has their own flair for the snark, and I have LOL'd at work reading these posts (while pretending to hide it with a cough) more times than I can count.

What are your fillings about this? 

My circumstances are a little different this season and I probably will not have time to recap, especially if they continue with their tradition of mind-numbing two-hour-long episodes.  I'd love to do it once or twice for old times' sake, but otherwise taking turns sounds great to me.

Merry Christmas and happy holidays, everyone!  I enjoy these forums so much I just can't dill with my fillings.

• Love 17

My main interest in this group all along has been their finances.

Here is a little blurb I found - which is speculation, but that's probably all we'll ever have.... unless someone who has worked on the show someday decides to spill a few deets.

Reality producer Terence Michael has estimated that reality families earn about 10 percent of a show’s per-episode budget. TLC is said to spend anywhere between $250,000 and $400,000 per episode on its shows, which means the Browns take in $25,000 to $40,000. The show has run 127 episodes over its seven seasons, which would’ve made them, at minimum, a little more than $3 million. That’s not even factoring in earnings from side projects, like the wives’ online jewelry and clothing boutique, My Sister Wife’s Closet.

That said, with 23 total mouths to feed, that money doesn’t go a long way. In fact, Celebrity Net Worth reports Kody's worth to be $800,000. It’s nothing to scoff at for the normal person, but given what they should’ve made through the years, it’s a surprisingly low number.
Part of that likely has to do with the financial issues the family has faced since before the show, including Kody and Meri’s bankruptcy filing in 2005, and Christine’s in 2010.

https://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/what-does-kody-brown-do-for-a-living-details-on-the-sister-wives-star-s-net-worth-146281/

• Love 5
On 12/20/2018 at 6:47 AM, ginger90 said:

I am not going to lie, that looks awesome and I am so HERE for it all! 

On 12/20/2018 at 10:14 AM, Sandy W said:

I don't really care about the adults either Kohola, but for some reason, I am intrigued with this show.  Maybe I find it fascinating because I have been on this journey with them since the inception of the program, so I'll tough it out until the bitter end.

This year's wedding has already been fully exploited in People magazine (off season Brown income stream), but I'll still watch and groan over Kody explaining his Scottish heritage.

If they are the close-knit family they claim to be, why couldn't the high school kids that wanted to, stay in LV with Maddie and Caleb and at least finish their year there. 

Why the sudden impulse to move...are they being persecuted in LV?  Storyline?  Or has the Lion King decided to once again disrupt everyone's life to act on a whim of his? 

I am really interested in the financial mechanics of this move and would take perverse enjoyment in witnessing Kody squirm when the realization hits him that their beaten up homes are not the hot ticket sellers he expected them to be.  As usual, the viewing audience will be fed the Who, What, When and Where, but never the real Why and How. 

I've been on this ride since the first season and I also find it fascinating. I do like all most of the family at least a little bit, even Meri and Kody, but it's really all about the draaaaama. I don't wish ill will on any of them, but I get why the snark factor is so high. This is what reality tv is all about - flawed people putting their crap out there for the world to see. Even if and when they are lying through their teeth, those of us who've watched forever can usually tell or at least speculate about what is really going on. They are not fooling everyone, but their story is still interesting and it's entertaining to try and figure out what's true and what's subterfuge. Bring it!

• Love 5
On 12/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, ChristmasJones said:

Reality producer Terence Michael has estimated that reality families earn about 10 percent of a show’s per-episode budget. TLC is said to spend anywhere between $250,000 and $400,000 per episode on its shows, which means the Browns take in $25,000 to $40,000. The show has run 127 episodes over its seven seasons, which would’ve made them, at minimum, a little more than $3 million. That’s not even factoring in earnings from side projects, like the wives’ online jewelry and clothing boutique, My Sister Wife’s Closet.

I doubt MSWC is making any serious coin. But to break down that $3 million- the show has been on for ten years, so that is $300,000 a year. Divided between four households and the family pot, that is $60,000 a year for each wife. Now factor in taxes and all the living expenses, trips to Disney, tchotchke-buying, etc. So again, how are they affording four McMansions (still), $800,000 in property, a new home for Christine, three rentals and Lizzy Borden's Inn?

• Love 18
20 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

I doubt MSWC is making any serious coin. But to break down that $3 million- the show has been on for ten years, so that is $300,000 a year. Divided between four households and the family pot, that is $60,000 a year for each wife. Now factor in taxes and all the living expenses, trips to Disney, tchotchke-buying, etc. So again, how are they affording four McMansions (still), $800,000 in property, a new home for Christine, three rentals and Lizzy Borden's Inn?

$60,000 is a pretty tight budget for a large family let alone for those who spend like money is water.  So the mystery remains as to how this is all possible.

Especially with the expense of buying axes for the inn.

• Love 15

They have to be making more from the show that most of us think. Its the only explanation for why five adults who don't have full-time jobs with benefits and have many young children and older kids in college are able to have new homes, nice furnishings and cars and cell phones, and go on vacations and buy more property.   

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

They have to be making more from the show that most of us think.

I honestly don't think so.  They aren't even at the top of the TLC food chain and when Jon Gosselin spilled the beans on salary it was $22,000 or so per episode.  Even if it has doubled since then, it certainly isn't in the millions. I bet dollars to donuts that they are carrying the max on every single credit card and paying only interest.  Just biding their time until the show is cancelled at which time there will be mass bankruptcies from the group.

• Love 11
18 minutes ago, ChristmasJones said:

They have to be making more from the show that most of us think.

I agree.  Kody hasn't held a job since the show took off.  Let's say TLC charges $10G for a 30 second ad, multiple that by 17 minutes and every hour they are pocketing $340K.  Wouldn't be a hardship if they gave the Browns $75K per show.  Television stations are in the business of making a profit.  If the Browns weren't profitable, they'd have gone the way of most of the other reality shows.  

• Love 1

In one of the clips, Meri tells the family she was approved for the mortgage for the inn. Then Kody said, so you came up with the down payment, and Meri says no, that’s what she needed to talk to them about.

I have applied for one mortgage in my life, but I know for darn sure it involved disclosing how much I was putting down. So, did Meri just wing it with an amount on the application? 🤷‍♀️

• Love 7
22 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

In one of the clips, Meri tells the family she was approved for the mortgage for the inn. Then Kody said, so you came up with the down payment, and Meri says no, that’s what she needed to talk to them about.

I have applied for one mortgage in my life, but I know for darn sure it involved disclosing how much I was putting down. So, did Meri just wing it with an amount on the application? 🤷‍♀️

That's exactly right Ginger, not only does the lender need to know how much you are putting down, but also where the downpayment is coming from.  If it's even partially a gift from an outside source such as family, the application should be accompanied with a letter stating that the funds are gifted freely, without expectation of repayment.

In Meri's case, the BnB is not her principal residence, so lenders are even more stringent about the investment ratio the buyer is providing and want to see evidence that the business could reasonably be expected to produce enough income to make the monthly mortgage payments.

The whole story is full of holes.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, ChristmasJones said:

They have to be making more from the show that most of us think. Its the only explanation for why five adults who don't have full-time jobs with benefits and have many young children and older kids in college are able to have new homes, nice furnishings and cars and cell phones, and go on vacations and buy more property.   

Many of them also shill for products on social media, and of course there is LuLaNo. They could be pulling in some decent cash from all those links and hashtags.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

That's exactly right Ginger, not only does the lender need to know how much you are putting down, but also where the downpayment is coming from.  If it's even partially a gift from an outside source such as family, the application should be accompanied with a letter stating that the funds are gifted freely, without expectation of repayment.

In Meri's case, the BnB is not her principal residence, so lenders are even more stringent about the investment ratio the buyer is providing and want to see evidence that the business could reasonably be expected to produce enough income to make the monthly mortgage payments.

The whole story is full of holes.

I'm not sure where I read this, but seem to remember reading that the seller of the Inn loaned Meri the money to buy it. I think it's called a lease-buyback or something like that. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Teafortwo said:

I'm not sure where I read this, but seem to remember reading that the seller of the Inn loaned Meri the money to buy it. I think it's called a lease-buyback or something like that. 

Something along those lines or a Vendor take Back (VTB) mortgage would be more plausible, given their situation.  If this is the case, it's just more tomfoolery from the Brown's to heighten the drama.  If she knew that the vendor was going to carry the mortgage or lease the property to her on a lease-to-own basis there was no need for the triumphant announcement that she had been "approved" for the mortgage, the offer to purchase would have been written that way.

• Love 4

I can't believe TLC is bringing this show back. Are they that desperate for content? Maybe Dr. Pimple Popper isn't attracting the right audience and no more Duggars are pregnant, so this is all they have left. 

I thought Meri left Kody, but I guess not.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

I can't believe TLC is bringing this show back. Are they that desperate for content?

I keep wondering what kind of "deal with the devil" Kodouche made with TLC to keep this show going. They up and moved to Flagstaff, where there is a small independent plyg population. I wonder if that factor (and everything that goes along with it) is going to be included in what would only be a REALLY boring, repetitive season.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Galloway Cave said:

I keep wondering what kind of "deal with the devil" Kodouche made with TLC to keep this show going. They up and moved to Flagstaff, where there is a small independent plyg population. I wonder if that factor (and everything that goes along with it) is going to be included in what would only be a REALLY boring, repetitive season.

Did you notice the trailer for the upcoming season showed him with a White Board on an easel, printed up with bullet points to sell his concept of the move to those assembled?

He looked like a nervous salesman pitching his ideas to a conglomerate.  Too bad they weren't this well prepared when they went hat in hand to the investors for the jooolry business.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

He looked like a nervous salesman pitching his ideas to a conglomerate.  Too bad they weren't this well prepared when they went hat in hand to the investors for the jooolry business.

Man, that was pathetic.  It's a good thing it was all fake.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

The moving drama will hopefully make this better than last season. Last season was incredibly boring.

Except that we already know there wasn't any drama.  They have been posting happy dance stuff all over social media, nothing was said about any issues or disagreements about moving, they haven't even posted anything about financial issues in not selling the LV houses.  And they will add in the wedding but we have all seen umpteen pix of that in tabloids so who cares.

So unless you want to watch fake bad acting and a story line about faux issues cooked up to add another season, move on folks, there isn't anything to look at here. Same old boring crap.

• Love 8

From People magazine, we pretty much know every detail of the Aspyn/Mitch nuptials.  The only thing that might brighten that episode is if a random breeze caught his mini-kilt, and Kaptain Kody was going Kommando that day.

• Love 5
30 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

The only thing that might brighten that episode is if a random breeze caught his mini-kilt, and Kaptain Kody was going Kommando that day.

Brain bleach, brain bleach!!!

• Love 10
On 12/31/2018 at 2:40 PM, Kohola3 said:

I honestly don't think so.  They aren't even at the top of the TLC food chain and when Jon Gosselin spilled the beans on salary it was $22,000 or so per episode.  Even if it has doubled since then, it certainly isn't in the millions. I bet dollars to donuts that they are carrying the max on every single credit card and paying only interest.  Just biding their time until the show is cancelled at which time there will be mass bankruptcies from the group.

See, now I would totally watch these people getting a massive wake-up call when they find out that they're either all going to have to get real jobs or all move in together and sell three of the four houses.  Ironically, this would then allow the show to keep going and possibly allow Kodork a few more seasons of aimless gamboling between houses whilst his ringlets bounce in the breeze.  So....yeah, I'm torn...

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Ironically, this would then allow the show to keep going and possibly allow Kodork a few more seasons of aimless gamboling between houses whilst his ringlets bounce in the breeze.

And wringing his hands loudly proclaiming "Persecution!  TLC has cancelled us for being polygamists.  No, wait, um."

• Love 9
On 1/1/2019 at 4:41 PM, Sandy W said:

From People magazine, we pretty much know every detail of the Aspyn/Mitch nuptials.  The only thing that might brighten that episode is if a random breeze caught his mini-kilt, and Kaptain Kody was going Kommando that day.

That would be hilarious!

12 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I just saw a commercial for the new season and I think Kody has RINGLETS. 

He's holding on to every strand for dear life.

• Love 5

He looks ridiculous in ringlets.  Bald would be so much better.

Side note:  Seeking Sister Wives season 2 starts the same night as Kootie & The Gang.  Does anyone here watch that one?  

I'm even more ashamed I watched that shitshow, than that I watch SW.  No one I know will admit to watching either!

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Side note:  Seeking Sister Wives season 2 starts the same night as Kootie & The Gang.  Does anyone here watch that one?  

I'm even more ashamed I watched that shitshow, than that I watch SW.  No one I know will admit to watching either!

I watched SSW and felt the same way as you Xword.  The couple who were just in it for the swinging lifestyle set me on edge.  I think they had at least one child and she was very pregnant with another and he hadn't even done her the courtesy of a marriage.  She just sat there grinning like a fool, while he prepares for a date with someone else.  UGH!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, TurtlePower said:

Sigh. He would seriously be so much better with a military-style cut or flat-out bald. 

I don't a new 'do is going to help Kody much. He was very good-looking in his younger days but his looks went as he aged.  Maybe it was do to all that procreating.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

OMG, Kootie and the Gang, love it! 

And yes I did watch the first season of SSW and will be watching the second. I wouldn't say I will be hate-watching, but that show is one that's on my list more for the WTF? moments than for anything else, lol.

• Love 6

I caught the commercial for the new season.  Nice ringlets dude.  Kody looks like Shirley Temple's creepy, skeevy grandfather.  

No offense to Shirley Temple's real grandfather who I know absolutely nothing about.

• Love 16
17 hours ago, toodles said:

I caught the commercial for the new season.  Nice ringlets dude.  Kody looks like Shirley Temple's creepy, skeevy grandfather.  

No offense to Shirley Temple's real grandfather who I know absolutely nothing about.

And didn't he say something along the lines of " People should follow what the CULT leader says"? Not an exact quote but something like that. I do know he used the word cult and it was not said sarcastically but in anger. So he now admits he is in a cult?

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, Irate Panda said:

I have seen the show in a long time but can someone tell me why The Browns left Vegas?

Who knows.  I'm sure there are umpteen stories most of which are lies.

• Love 8
On 12/28/2018 at 4:18 PM, Kohola3 said:

Well, it is a tabloid rag so I'd not put a lot of credence into their "reporting".

Sorry but I would put more belief in this 'tabloid rag" than I would with anything TLC tries to imply.

On 1/5/2019 at 6:04 AM, crazycatlady58 said:

And didn't he say something along the lines of " People should follow what the CULT leader says"? 

I laughed when I saw a clip where he angrily demands that rather than question him, they should all just follow what the Leader says. If he's the leader, I'd be opting for the opposite as he can't lead his way out of a paper bag.

• Love 6

A description I came across:

SISTER WIVES

The beloved Brown family returns with the sound of wedding bells for Aspyn and Mitch, but not all is bliss for the four wives. Last season, Meri and Kody struggled to keep the heat in their marriage, and things are about to cool down even more. All mayhem breaks loose when Kody reveals the family doesn’t have the money to support Meri’s bed and breakfast venture. Plus, old wounds are reopened when Meri revisits her catfish experience by inviting new friend Kristie, who was a victim of the same catfish, to meet the family and better understand what they’ve all been through.

Meanwhile, wedding fever is in full swing when Mitch pops the question and Aspyn says yes. Maddie and Caleb, who recently welcomed baby boy Axel into the world, decide it’s time to move into a place of their own and Janelle has a hard time letting go. Christine is confronted with the daunting reality that her daughter Ysabel may need surgery for her scoliosis. Further adding to the chaos, Kody drops a bomb when he announces he wants to move the family out of Nevada and to a new state.

• Love 5

The "beloved" Brown family........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA,  Beloved by themselves, maybe.

Wedding bells - old news, saw the photos.

No money for the B&B - old news, she gets it anyway.

Old wounds reopened - wanna bet?

The Brushes move on - old news.

Ysabel may need surgery - old news, she doesn't have any.

Move the family - old news, we've already seen the new places.

So....move on folks, nothing to see here.  Rehash, rehash.

• Love 12

Yay, more re-re-re-re-re-re-re-heating of the ol' catfish scandal!  Call me crazy but I can't get enough of our fave orange Mere dilling with those fillings.  And the fact that she has made friends with other women who have been fooled by JO and continues to talk to them about all of it - well, I maintain that her "affair" with Sam sent her fillings through the roof, and she gets some kind of second-hand thrill by staying in contact with others involved in the catfish deal.  If she were truly victimized and afraid for her family, she would NOT keep bringing it up.  She's still "in love" with "Sam."  Period.

• Love 24
14 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

The "beloved" Brown family........HAHAHAHAHAHAHA,  Beloved by themselves, maybe.

Wedding bells - old news, saw the photos.

No money for the B&B - old news, she gets it anyway.

Old wounds reopened - wanna bet?

The Brushes move on - old news.

Ysabel may need surgery - old news, she doesn't have any.

Move the family - old news, we've already seen the new places.

So....move on folks, nothing to see here.  Rehash, rehash.

Sorry Kohola, I just can't move on! I'm right there on the crazy train with @laurakaye, eating this stuff up, lol. I'm actually looking forward to the new season - yes, I am part of the problem!

• Love 14