Type keyword(s) to search

Media: "The Lanford Lean Times"

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, tessaray said:

The Variety article called him DJ Tanner. Ouch.

It's correct now, but that's funny.

It sounds like his choice, and I'm a bit surprised since for the episodes he was in he was getting paid for doing next to nothing.  Maybe he didn't want to spend time at table reads and rehearsals just to film for 60 seconds.

I wonder if he'll continue to direct some episodes; that may be how he wants to remain involved at this point.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 1
  • Useful 3
3 minutes ago, qtpye said:

Is Mary still going to be on the show

Yes, as that article states:

Exact details on how Fishman will be written out of the show are currently under wraps, but it will supposedly leave the door open for him to return in future episodes if he wishes. Jayden Rey, who plays DJ’s daughter Mary in the show, will be back as a series regular.

• Useful 1

If you told me back when the original was airing that DJ was all I’d end watching for decades later and not Darlene I wouldn’t have believed you, but here we are. Not surprised since he didn’t get much to do but still ugh. I wanted more of him and his family not less. 

• Love 2

Jeez, Variety got it all wrong, then - they fixed DJ Tanner, but it still read as if it was Fishman's choice (since he could make future appearances if he wanted) and it outright stated Mary would still be a regular (not that she ever actually was to begin with, but more than him).

This version of events makes a lot more sense.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, justduckey said:

They never wrote for him or his family anyway. I might not have noticed he left lol.

Yeah, they barely used him as it was, so I can't say I'm surprised he isn't coming back.  It's probably also just a cost saving measure at this point. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

Yeah, they barely used him as it was, so I can't say I'm surprised he isn't coming back.  It's probably also just a cost saving measure at this point. 

That’s what I was thinking. They didn’t want to pay him a regular cast member salary if he was only showing up for 30 seconds every few episodes. 

I wonder how they’ll write him off. I’m guessing either he or Gina will get an out of town job and only show up for an occasional visit. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

I wonder how they’ll write him off. I’m guessing either he or Gina will get an out of town job and only show up for an occasional visit. 

Do they really need to write out a character that’s not really there? 😆

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

That’s what I was thinking. They didn’t want to pay him a regular cast member salary if he was only showing up for 30 seconds every few episodes. 

Gina hasn’t been in except a couple times anyway. I expect he will either get a promotion or Gina will actually retire and get an out of town job.   
I don’t think he really wanted to act much, so it probably is a cost saving measure. 
Let’s move Harris out of town too.  Please send Arlo with her 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I know some of are oh well whatever he was hardly on it anyway.  Michael technically just lost a job where is the sympathy. Yeah sure he may say everything’s fine and directing may have been a thing he enjoyed. But how would you feel if you were on a show, they hardly wrote for your character, gave you a few lines here and there and supposedly the person who plays your spouse was supposed to get more screen time on the show for the previous  season  and  the writers never write anything for your character. 

no sir, that is just bs. They could have given DJ storylines they could have developed his family as well. But no the damm show has to be centered on two 40 year old women pushing into their 50s and their stupid drama.  Show better have fun losing viewers for the powers that be decisions. 

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

I know some of are oh well whatever he was hardly on it anyway.  Michael technically just lost a job where is the sympathy. Yeah sure he may say everything’s fine and directing may have been a thing he enjoyed. But how would you feel if you were on a show, they hardly wrote for your character, gave you a few lines here and there and supposedly the person who plays your spouse was supposed to get more screen time on the show for the previous  season  and  the writers never write anything for your character. 

no sir, that is just bs. They could have given DJ storylines they could have developed his family as well. But no the damm show has to be centered on two 40 year old women pushing into their 50s and their stupid drama.  Show better have fun losing viewers for the powers that be decisions. 

Now he knows how the lost girls from season one of The Facts of Life feel. 

I think this is just a change in billing and Fishman will return for a series of brief, intermittent appearances later in S5.  

13 minutes ago, ThatsDarling said:

Now he knows how the lost girls from season one of The Facts of Life feel. 

I think this is just a change in billing and Fishman will return for a series of brief, intermittent appearances later in S5.  

I’m not even going to watch season 5 done with the show since season 3. It just sucks he was let go just like that. 

and change in budget can’t save a show that has bad writing every season.

• Applause 2

As a consolation prize, he should be able to direct for the next two seasons.

This is some bull, they could have written a lovely storyline about an interracial couple in love and their daughter but nooooooooooo!!

I will miss Michael.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

As a consolation prize, he should be able to direct for the next two seasons.

This is some bull, they could have written a lovely storyline about an interracial couple in love and their daughter but nooooooooooo!!

I will miss Michael.

ITA, and that brings up a good point. I just googled this, and the daughter (Mary) is "going to remain a series regular". Like oooooohkay, so she'll be there, but no parents? I guess they'll just refer to DJ abstractly, like they used to do with the mom once in a blue moon.

I'm out. I was barely hanging on out of nostalgia, but their insistence on centering everything around the least-likable character, the sloppy writing, lack of continuity,etc has now been topped by their Chuck Cuttingham-ing someone who's been a part of the family for 30 years?  Enough already. I can't even hate-watch anymore.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Barbarblacksheep said:

ITA, and that brings up a good point. I just googled this, and the daughter (Mary) is "going to remain a series regular". Like oooooohkay, so she'll be there, but no parents? I guess they'll just refer to DJ abstractly, like they used to do with the mom once in a blue moon

Has gina officially retired from the army? I hope they don’t give her a last minute injury where DJ has to rush out of town and leave Mary with the family while she recovers. 

The big question … will there finally be a new opening to reflect the cast changes or will they keep the old one until the series runs its course. 

3 hours ago, Barbarblacksheep said:

I just googled this, and the daughter (Mary) is "going to remain a series regular".

That's what one publication said, but then another - which correctly reported this as not being Fishman's choice, whereas the first had made it sound like it was - said she's no longer going to be a regular, either (not that either of them ever were in actuality), but is expected to pop up occasionally on a guest star basis.

3 hours ago, StaceyNotStacie said:

Has gina officially retired from the army?

Geena decided to retire, but we haven't seen her since, so we don't know if she's actually done so yet.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

That's what one publication said, but then another - which correctly reported this as not being Fishman's choice, whereas the first had made it sound like it was - said she's no longer going to be a regular, either (not that either of them ever were in actuality), but is expected to pop up occasionally on a guest star basis.

Geena decided to retire, but we haven't seen her since, so we don't know if she's actually done so yet.

Interesting. I did a little more googling and there seems to be some conflicting stories about this, including this from TvLine, dated 8/29:

Editor’s Note: An earlier version of this story said Jayden Rey would no longer be a series regular. The source has since said that Rey is credited as a series regular this season.

But, who knows who "the source" was, and if they, in fact, were accurate. I don't know why I even care, though. (Which sort of aligns with the "why am I even watching this" feeling I had all last season)  I guess it would make more sense if both father & daughter "moved away". I just think it sucks (and everything I have read confirms it was not Fishman's choice) There were way too many people on that show, granted, but I'd certainly want to have the sullen daughter (Harris?) and her dopey love interest vanish before DJ. Oh well.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2022 at 5:04 PM, Rocknrollzombie said:

I agree with the drama about two 40 year old women still acting like silly teenager/young adult. They could have given DJ stories about having a wife in the military, raising an interracial child, how his time in the military affected him. They touched on it in the early seasons, but quickly dropped any developments.

Heck, they can even have new stories about being attracted to another woman while Geena is absent, or something. Anything. But that would take screen time away from Darlene 🙄

• Applause 1
  • Love 8

I look forward to the Mark and Harris stuff, since they've largely ignored that relationship.  And yay to hopefully getting Bev for a few appearances.  The rest, we'll see; it could all go any which way, and my instinct is pessimistic but some things last season worked better than I thought they were going to based on description.  (I hope they write Louise like they used to and not like they did last season since we'll be seeing more of her; if she continues like she's been ever since the wedding, I'm going to have a tough time with her.)  It'll probably be another season where I mostly watch out of familiarity and inertia, getting hella ticked sometimes but sometimes really appreciating something. 

• Love 4

Looking forward to Bev returning. I wish they would have her reconcile with Jackie. I just want to see them in a good place so that if we unfortunately lose Bev during the remainder of the series, we don’t see over the top Jackie both celebrating her death and then having a nervous breakdown that both of her parents and her sister are now gone. 

If they’re being back characters from the original, how about Phyllis. We know Roseanne hated her, but how would Louise react as his wife if she showed up unexpectedly thinking he hadn’t remarried. 

I wonder if they’re winding down the series if Becky is going to figure things out for her future. I really hope she picks a good major and finally finds success in her professional life. 

• Love 2
On 9/13/2022 at 9:26 AM, StaceyNotStacie said:

Looking forward to Bev returning. I wish they would have her reconcile with Jackie. I just want to see them in a good place so that if we unfortunately lose Bev during the remainder of the series, we don’t see over the top Jackie both celebrating her death and then having a nervous breakdown that both of her parents and her sister are now gone. 

If they’re being back characters from the original, how about Phyllis. We know Roseanne hated her, but how would Louise react as his wife if she showed up unexpectedly thinking he hadn’t remarried. 

I wonder if they’re winding down the series if Becky is going to figure things out for her future. I really hope she picks a good major and finally finds success in her professional life. 

I hope it's Kathy, the neighbor from Season 3. That would be "oh shit" to me.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/12/2022 at 6:59 PM, ESS said:
On 9/7/2022 at 12:31 PM, Snow Apple said:

I agree with the drama about two 40 year old women still acting like silly teenager/young adult. They could have given DJ stories about having a wife in the military, raising an interracial child, how his time in the military affected him. They touched on it in the early seasons, but quickly dropped any developments.

Heck, they can even have new stories about being attracted to another woman while Geena is absent, or something. Anything. But that would take screen time away from Darlene 🙄

All great ideas for storylines for DJ, but instead they put him in the background once every few episodes to say one line.  Now he's off the show only to be replaced with cousin Oliver?  What a slap in the face to MF/DJ character.  There are way too many characters in the show.  If they got rid of Arlo, Jackie's vet husband, Harris, etc they could concentrate more on the original cast EQUALLY.  Instead, we get every episode centered around Darlene with sprinkles of Becky drama to offset how unlikeable Darlene is.  

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

Well here is the “cousin Oliver” info for you guys or should I call it “David moving in storyline from the original just with out the abuse and instead of that it’s death that is the cause for the moving in”  David moved in in season 5 of og roseanne this “nephew/cousin Oliver type” is moving in in season 5 of the conners. such originality with these storylines 😑

6711974B-B583-4982-9AE6-E5242A77C503.png

80C5ED2A-C06B-481E-B67F-7D33096999F3.png

• Love 1

They back tracking now on Jerry being retconned…god the timeline of the connerverse makes no damm sense and I stopped watching it. I just read the summaries for the episodes or the articles and that is all I need to know that the writing is still bad

8058A1E6-D7E6-44E5-9B1D-05CD1FD352F0.jpeg

• Mind Blown 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

They back tracking now on Jerry being retconned…god the timeline of the connerverse makes no damm sense and I stopped watching it. I just read the summaries for the episodes or the articles and that is all I need to know that the writing is still bad

8058A1E6-D7E6-44E5-9B1D-05CD1FD352F0.jpeg

Did they have a throwaway line about Jerry not attending Roseanne's funeral because he could not get off a fishing boat in Alaska?

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

Did they have a throwaway line about Jerry not attending Roseanne's funeral because he could not get off a fishing boat in Alaska?

Jerry's existence and absence working as a fisherman in Alaska were noted in season 10 of Roseanne (the reboot), but not subsequently on The Conners.

• Useful 1