Type keyword(s) to search

Media: "The Lanford Lean Times"

• Start Topic

4x07: Let's All Push Our Hands Together For The Stew Train and The Conners Furniture Press Release (airing 11/17)

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20211101abc07/

The Lunch Box is busier than ever, and when Jackie devises an offbeat plan of how to serve the customers, it's anything but smooth service. Meanwhile, Dan begins to sell some furniture to make room for his new bride and her things but finds it a bit harder to let go than he thought.

4x08: Yard Sale, Phone Fail, And a College Betrayal Press Release (airing 12/1)

As Louise starts to move into the Conner's home, Dan decides to sell the furniture set he bought for Roseanne when they were first married. However, he soon finds parting with the furniture - and old memories - harder than he thought it would be.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20211115abc07/

John discussing on The Talk earlier today how Katey is doing after her accident and according to him, she's doing well, came back on Friday, but is still a bit shaken up rightfully so.

I'm so glad she getting back on the mend...slowly.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2

The summaries sound repetitive, but I'm all for it not being wrapped up in one episode if they're going to address the fact Louise marrying Dan, moving in, and thus necessitating changes in the house is something for the family to work through.  And it better not just be Dan; I want to finally get something real from the kids on this.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The summaries sound repetitive, but I'm all for it not being wrapped up in one episode if they're going to address the fact Louise marrying Dan, moving in, and thus necessitating changes in the house is something for the family to work through.  And it better not just be Dan; I want to finally get something real from the kids on this.

I'd actually buy that painting of the woods from behind the sofa. I always liked it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I'd actually buy that painting of the woods from behind the sofa. I always liked it.

I'll take a look but it's probably one blue chip stamps used to have. They were quite pretty. Mostly bt Robert Wood.

• Useful 2
51 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Here is the best picture I could find.

image.png.055279c72bf7a22a90eec1829be5bf2f.png

Looks like a Wood. if you were looking for one I'd try ebay.. they are printed on textured plastic ( at least grandma's was and the people she cleaned for). T h ere are lots of different ones. His seascapes were very popular.

• Useful 1
1 minute ago, bobalina said:

Looks like a Wood. if you were looking for one I'd try ebay.. they are printed on textured plastic ( at least grandma's was and the people she cleaned for). T h ere are lots of different ones. His seascapes were very popular.

Thanks! Wow, some of them are really spendy. All I have in my art budget right now is this picture. I have the perfect space for it.

image.png.341d96fde5d7f08ccda03ed09a53f90e.png

• Love 1
On 11/16/2021 at 4:53 PM, ESS said:

Sigh.  Like Darlene needs a love interest right now.  Although it could be nice if she just has some fun with someone, not intending it to be anything more (but, then, why would she be bringing him around the family?) and giving her something to do besides moping about Ben.  Of course, solidifying her management position at work, paying attention to her kids, and maybe making a friend (since her brief reunion with Molly made her remember that's a nice dynamic to have in life) would also occupy the time she spends moping about Ben.  I'd rather see more of Darlene and Robin, Darlene and Harris, Darlene and Becky, Darlene and Mark, etc. than Darlene and some new dude.  Why is it always a love interest?  TV writers are so damn lazy.

(And someone fell down on the job; that article describes Darlene as the eldest Conner sibling.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/15/2021 at 10:08 PM, ESS said:

As Louise starts to move into the Conner's home, Dan decides to sell the furniture set he bought for Roseanne when they were first married. However, he soon finds parting with the furniture - and old memories - harder than he thought it would be.

I had the Conners' furniture way back in the day - the sofa and that chair.  We bought them for cheap at some random cheap furniture place.  They are LONG gone, having been replaced by other cheap furniture over the years. 

• Love 2

One I don’t watch the show anymore someone sent me screenshots of the promo. Two this show is a literal dumpster fire (literal dumpster fire in the promo) at this point if someone told me it is the satire/parody version of Roseanne I would believe them. This show has no charm, they are just surviving because of blind nostalgia many fans have.

F371B3B7-E824-4EF8-9CCB-B16F069C00CE.jpeg

B932D76D-D1E0-4AE2-9B1C-1E3C0345FBE7.jpeg

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

One I don’t watch the show anymore someone sent me screenshots of the promo. Two this show is a literal dumpster fire (literal dumpster fire in the promo) at this point if someone told me it is the satire/parody version of Roseanne I would believe them. This show has no charm, they are just surviving because of blind nostalgia many fans have.

F371B3B7-E824-4EF8-9CCB-B16F069C00CE.jpeg

B932D76D-D1E0-4AE2-9B1C-1E3C0345FBE7.jpeg

I think they keep The Conners going for the paychecks, obviously, and to see how long they can drag out sticking it to Roseanne.  Nostalgia factors into it too, especially with the afghan and the whole house.  The characters, not so much.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I think they keep The Conners going for the paychecks, obviously, and to see how long they can drag out sticking it to Roseanne.  Nostalgia factors into it too, especially with the afghan and the whole house.  The characters, not so much.

Yeah, same thing on riverdale the actors absolutely hate the show and the writing but it obvious the paycheck is what keeps all of them on it.

2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

I don't think anybody is "sticking it to Roseanne ". Honestly I doubt anyone working on the show cares if she lives or dies.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, bobalina said:

I don't think anybody is "sticking it to Roseanne ". Honestly I doubt anyone working on the show cares if she lives or dies.

I don't think that either. There was probably a time when the cared for her very much. They shake their heads at some of the boneheaded things she says but I think they still care very much about her.

• Love 3

I think the people who knew her back in the day have a complicated set of feelings for her now, and I think the new producers and writers largely don't give a shit; she sold her intellectual property, and thus became a non-issue to the spinoff since before it even began.

But I do think Roseanne Barr and Roseanne Conner are intertwined enough they are a little hesitant to mention the latter too much for fear of evoking thoughts of the former.  But I still hold out hope that when Louise returns from tour and moves in, we'll finally get a realistic reaction from the kids.

• Love 3

4x09:Three Exes, Role Playing And A Waterbed Press Release + Promotional Photos.

Thinking it’s Ben’s day off, Darlene brings Nick to the hardware store only to run smack into Ben, who invites Nick to join him at The Lunch Box to watch a Bears game. Meanwhile, Dan tries to spruce up the bedroom while Louise is out on the road and Jackie meets Logan’s mom.

4x09 Press release + Photos.

• Useful 2

4x10: Spills, Pills and The Midnight Lasagna Press Release + Promotional Photos

The Conners celebrate Mark when he makes dean’s list at his new magnet school; but when Darlene and the family learn what he’s been doing to keep up with his classmates, it’s anything but a party. Meanwhile Jackie continues to navigate her relationship with Neville.

4x10 Press Release + Promo Photos

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Ugh; that interview about upcoming storylines illustrates one of this show's biggest failures compared to the original -- too much focus on the characters' romantic relationships with random outsiders, and not enough on the relationships within the family.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Finally the summary for 4x11 is out:

4x11: Patriarchs and Goddesses Press Release (1/19) 

Darlene continues to navigate her breakup with Ben, and when she and Becky head to the movies and see Ben on a date, Darlene can’t stop herself from interfering and making everyone uncomfortable. Meanwhile, Dan offers to talk with Aldo’s dad, Jesse (Joe Walsh), when he doesn’t approve of Harris and Aldo’s relationship.

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/the-conners-patriarchs-and-goddesses-1-19/

• Useful 3
2 hours ago, ESS said:

Finally the summary for 4x11 is out:

4x11: Patriarchs and Goddesses Press Release (1/19) 

Darlene continues to navigate her breakup with Ben, and when she and Becky head to the movies and see Ben on a date, Darlene can’t stop herself from interfering and making everyone uncomfortable. Meanwhile, Dan offers to talk with Aldo’s dad, Jesse (Joe Walsh), when he doesn’t approve of Harris and Aldo’s relationship.

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/the-conners-patriarchs-and-goddesses-1-19/

Yes, it's that Joe Walsh.  If you're a fan or rock goddess or patriarch, should be interesting?

Joe Walsh to Guest on The Conners

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Joe Walsh to Guest on The Conners

I hate when people write about things they obviously don't watch; he calls Harris Dan's daughter.  (Probably because the one thing he did know, the ages of Joe Walsh and John Goodman, would lead to the assumption Walsh's character's son would be dating Goodman's character's daughter.)

Anyway, gee, I can't wait to see Dan defend this weird-ass relationship.  And more of Darlene making an idiotic jerk of herself over Ben.  Not.  Hopefully the Goodman/Walsh duet will be enjoyable, despite being totally random, like that time they brought Blues Traveler on for Goodman to sing with John Popper.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I hate when people write about things they obviously don't watch; he calls Harris Dan's daughter.  (Probably because the one thing he did know, the ages of Joe Walsh and John Goodman, would lead to the assumption Walsh's character's son would be dating Goodman's character's daughter.)

Anyway, gee, I can't wait to see Dan defend this weird-ass relationship.  And more of Darlene making an idiotic jerk of herself over Ben.  Not.  Hopefully the Goodman/Walsh duet will be enjoyable, despite being totally random, like that time they brought Blues Traveler on for Goodman to sing with John Popper.

Bonnie Bramlett/Sheridan was a regular but man, she could sing.

• Love 4

Not going to watch the episode at all but I swear to god if I end up finding out Becky is callous as F to Mark’s situation like the pill problem episode. Like congrats Conner fans you have old Becky selfish, not caring about others Becky. Becky helping her nephew would have been better than Becky trying to be a mentor to other women. 

• Love 2

4x13: Sex, Lies And House Hunting Press Release + Promotional Photos

Darlene falls in love with a house she’s looking at, but when the realtor shares she has a better chance of getting the house if she’s part of a couple, she convinces Ben to pretend to be her partner. Meanwhile, Becky and Professor Davis continue to try and keep their relationship a secret, but secrets are hard to keep.

4x13 Press Release + Promotional Photos

• Love 2
4 hours ago, ESS said:

4x13: Sex, Lies And House Hunting Press Release + Promotional Photos

Darlene falls in love with a house she’s looking at, but when the realtor shares she has a better chance of getting the house if she’s part of a couple, she convinces Ben to pretend to be her partner. Meanwhile, Becky and Professor Davis continue to try and keep their relationship a secret, but secrets are hard to keep.

4x13 Press Release + Promotional Photos

I'm surprised that the description did not end with "and wacky hijinks occur".

Seriously, pretending to be a couple...they are really trying for a "Ross/Rachel" will they, won't they vibe, and this was never that type of show.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, qtpye said:

I'm surprised that the description did not end with "and wacky hijinks occur".

Seriously, pretending to be a couple...they are really trying for a "Ross/Rachel" will they, won't they vibe, and this was never that type of show.

Does anyone know the real estate sense and logic of wanting to rent to a couple rather just a singleton?  Is it driven by having two names on the rental agreement or lease when it comes time to pay up past due rent they'll have an extra to go after?  Are single people reputed to be more hard living or trouble than a couple?

Since HUD prohibits discrimination against people based on, among other things, familial status, what is the point of this?  Is this going to be another plothole played for laughs or oversight of the real world by the writers (again)?

The federal Fair Housing Act (“FHA”) prohibits discrimination in housing based on a person's race, color, religion, national origin, sex, familial status, and disability.

And are the lovey-dovey couple of Ben and Darlene going to include at least Mark, a minor who the mother Darlene is legally responsible to support and care for until he reaches the age of 18 or becomes legally emancipated?  Is Darlene going to just leave Mark to live with Grandpa?

With a mother like Darlene, and MIA David, is it any wonder Harris has attached herself to Aldo?

Edited by CrystalBlue
Added quote from HUD's FHA.
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, qtpye said:

Yet it has become pathetically typical of this spin-off.  As I complained before: Compared to the original, and which more and more episodes emphasize, this entry in the franchise spends a ridiculous amount of time on the romantic relationships of the Conners with others, disproportionately neglecting the far more interesting stories of the Conners' relationships within the family.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Does anyone know the real estate sense and logic of wanting to rent to a couple rather just a singleton?  Is it driven by having two names on the rental agreement or lease when it comes time to pay up past due rent they'll have an extra to go after?

Yes - joint and several liability for rent, damages, compliance with conditions on which occupancy is predicated, etc.  If one tenant fails to pay their share, the landlord is still owed the full amount from the other tenant(s); the tenants have to battle it out between each other on the other side.

This plot will likely be half-assed wacky hijinks, but, yes, at the most basic level discrimination against single tenants exists.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
55 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Yes - joint and several liability for rent, damages, compliance with conditions on which occupancy is predicated, etc.  If one tenant fails to pay their share, the landlord is still owed the full amount from the other tenant(s); the tenants have to battle it out between each other on the other side.

This plot will likely be half-assed wacky hijinks, but, yes, at the most basic level discrimination against single tenants exists.

Thanks for the info.  I knew the only logical financial reason for two versus one would be the joint and several liability proper language you pointed out.  I was guessing that some landlords might wish to rent to a "nice married couple" who are deemed settled and stable, but since being married rarely factors in mainstream life these days (versus the gasp of "just living together" or "shacking up" (yes, I am old)), that wouldn't be such a benefit to landlords nowadays.  The last time I was a renter was nearly 40 years ago and I've lost touch with that discrimination.  Heck, back in my day the landlords would've been worried about too many people in one apartment, loud music and parties, etc. so a nice quiet single girl would be suitable!

• Love 2