Type keyword(s) to search

Media: "The Lanford Lean Times"

• Start Topic

Press Releases for episodes 5x06 & 5x07

5x06: Book Bans and Guillotine Hands

It's Halloween at the Conners, and Dan encourages the family to decorate the house. When everyone is feeling too busy and overwhelmed to help, Becky tries to take matters into her own hands. Meanwhile, Harris takes a stand on an issue that ruffles a few feathers in Darlene's new neighborhood.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20221018abc01/

5x07: Take This Job and Shove It Twice

Darlene receives a promotion at her company, but she quickly learns the fancy title is not all it's cracked up to be. Meanwhile, when Louise loses her job at Casita Bonita, an opportunity arises to work with Jackie at the Lunch Box.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20221017abc05/

• Love 1

I'm looking forward to seeing Bev again.  And they're trying to schedule Parsons for another appearance or two this season, so I'm not worried they're going to kill her off (I think the "she's going to outlive us all" jokes will hold, and they won't kill off Bev unless forced to because Parsons dies).

• Love 1
On 10/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, Bastet said:

I'm looking forward to seeing Bev again.  And they're trying to schedule Parsons for another appearance or two this season, so I'm not worried they're going to kill her off (I think the "she's going to outlive us all" jokes will hold, and they won't kill off Bev unless forced to because Parsons dies).

I’m kind of looking forward to Bev and Louise. I don’t think we’ve had any interaction between the two and I wonder if she had an issue with Dan remarrying so quickly. 

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

That's ridiculous.  I love Jane Curtin, but she's practically the same age as Katey Sagal -- only seven years older.  Even if Katey is playing younger as Louise, which I think she is, it's still ridiculous; there are women in their 80s working as actors, and Hollywood needs to start hiring them.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

That's ridiculous.  I love Jane Curtin, but she's practically the same age as Katey Sagal -- only seven years older.  Even if Katey is playing younger as Louise, which I think she is, it's still ridiculous; there are women in their 80s working as actors, and Hollywood needs to start hiring them.

That was my first thought - aren’t they basically the same age?  But OTOH, we’re talking about 70-something actors taking jobs from 80-something actors?  Maybe not the biggest problem. And, Roseanne/The Conners seem to have a decent record of casting actors of a certain age, so I guess I can give them a a pass here. Also, Jane Curtin. 

• Love 5
On 12/1/2022 at 2:57 PM, SoMuchTV said:

But OTOH, we’re talking about 70-something actors taking jobs from 80-something actors?

Well, yeah.  As hard as it is to get cast for female actors in their 70s, it's even harder for female actors in their 80s (especially if they look like they're in their 80s, which, unless Louise's mom has some glamorous backstory explaining why she's never been around to meet Dan until now, this character would), so if a character would be in her 80s, hire an age-appropriate actor, please.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, Brn2bwild said:

Who?

The guy Dan nearly came to blows with at the Lobo on his birthday back in season one.

So, hardly exciting, but it will be nice to see the Lobo again.

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

The guy Dan nearly came to blows with at the Lobo on his birthday back in season one.

So, hardly exciting, but it will be nice to see the Lobo again.

I almost never rewatch Season One of Roseanne.  From the hype, I was expecting Ziggy or Arnie.

• Like 1

Heath care, and especially memory care, can wipe out middle class families' assets, never mind families like the Conners, so once they gave Bev dementia, they had to address the care issue as it progresses.  It's the kind of messy the original show did so well; we'll see what this one comes up with.  This season has been better, for the most part, so fingers crossed.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Good news for everyone who wants this empty husk, out of touch, making working class people seem like idiots show to end it maybe ending finally!!!

461CCCD3-E287-4D73-9476-FBBCEF2986D7.jpeg

9F243FE8-3DB8-405B-82F6-E0CD2B67B342.png

A lot of hedging there

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, emmyG said:

ABC is not currently planning to air ANY new shows until midseason, except for reality TV, because of the writer's strike.

Yeah honestly  I’m waiting on the renewal of Home Economics. Hopefully that goes well but I do hope the writers strike is going well as well. Last one in 2007 lasted 100+ days.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Probably not a big shock given how little she appeared last season, but Jayden Rey (Mary, DJ's daughter) is no longer going to be a series regular. 

It made zero sense to keep her on as a regular without D.J., and, indeed, we hardly saw her. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

So Mary who they could have written storylines for during the past five seasons had her interact with the family more gets booted but sure the show brings back Tyler the cargo pilot because he’s Becky’s new boyfriend and Becky needs happiness urgh 🙄

lazy writing and execution, there goes the diversity the show had gone like DJ and his family. And no Beverly rose doesn’t count as diverse check box since her Mexican half of heritage isn’t even  mentioned or acknowledge. 

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Like 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

So Mary who they could have written storylines for during the past five seasons had her interact with the family more gets booted but sure the show brings back Tyler the cargo pilot because he’s Becky’s new boyfriend and Becky needs happiness urgh 🙄

lazy writing and execution, there goes the diversity the show had gone like DJ and his family.

1 hour ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

100% agree with you! Mary Conner who has been in the Conners now for five seasons they could have more storylines with her but instead chose to bring back a character who let's face it the only reason any cared about Tyler is because he is played by Sean Astin. If he had been played by someone else he would have just one time love interest that no one would even remembered. Mary is a Conner, a member of the family but Bruce Helford and Dave Caplan couldn't careless about her character. Same with DJ and Geena, it would have been interesting to get to know them as adults and how it was they fell in love and got married but were viewed as being unimportant and barely got any screen time. Mary suffered the same fate, her screen time got greatly reduced over the years to a point she was barely seen. 

I don't know if it was Jaden Rey's decision not to come back as a recurring character or it was the show but regardless I wish her all her all the best in any future projects she does! 

Edited by Im a 90s kid
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
11 hours ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

lazy writing and execution, there goes the diversity the show had gone like DJ and his family. And no Beverly rose doesn’t count as diverse check box since her Mexican half of heritage isn’t even  mentioned or acknowledge. 

9 hours ago, Im a 90s kid said:

100% agree with you! Mary Conner who has been in the Conners now for five seasons they could have more storylines with her but instead chose to bring back a character who let's face it the only reason any cared about Tyler is because he is played by Sean Astin. If he had been played by someone else he would have just one time love interest that no one would even remembered. Mary is a Conner, a member of the family but Bruce Helford and Dave Caplan couldn't careless about her character. Same with DJ and Geena, it would have been interesting to get to know them as adults and how it was they fell in love and got married but were viewed as being unimportant and barely got any screen time. Mary suffered the same fate, her screen time got greatly reduced over the years to a point she was barely seen. 

I don't know if it was Jaden Rey's decision not to come back as a recurring character or it was the show but regardless I wish her all her all the best in any future projects she does! 

I just wanted to highlight all these excellent points.

Why should we care about all these new "who the Hell is this" characters when Mary Connor was given less screen time than the Afghan over the sofa?

This is the type of pandering and middle finger to fans that has killed network television and at this point, good riddance.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2