Type keyword(s) to search

Media: "The Lanford Lean Times"

• Start Topic

On 1/19/2021 at 5:29 PM, KWalkerInc said:

Lecy Goranson received a Critics Choice Awards nomination for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy.

http://thefutoncritic.com/news/2021/01/18/series-nominations-announced-for-the-26th-annual-critics-choice-awards-264012/20210118cw01/

That is shocking. I think she's terrible. 

As for the ratings, the show is around a 0.6 now in the 18-49 demo, which, shockingly, is a borderline hit these days in network world. It's not great, but it's not grounds for cancellation. For comparison, Grey's Anatomy is around a 1.0, while most of ABC's other comedies are 0.5 or below. Ratings are pathetic these days. 

In all ironies, Roseanne aired on Tuesdays for its entire first 6 seasons, moving to Wednesdays in its 7th. Ratings fell quite a bit. 

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, qtpye said:

https://medium.com/illumination/pop-culture-analysis-ff8862841f65

How The Nightmare Families Of The Nineties Now Represent An Unattainable American Dream

This post mentions this show and the decline of American prosperity for the average family.

Many, many of the young people today will never attain the kind of living situation that families like The Simpsons, Roseanne, et al used to put down as "crummy".

• Love 5

3x14: Money, Booze And Lies - Promotional Photos + Press Release

Becky meets up with an old friend and feels pressured to impress him while Dan questions his position at the hardware store, leading to a massive fight between him and Ben, on an all-new episode of “The Conners,” airing WEDNESDAY, MARCH 31 (9:00-9:30 p.m. EDT), on ABC. (TV-PG, DL) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

Guest starring is Darien Sills-Evans as Mike.

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/03/the-conners-episode-314-money-booze-and.html

• Love 1
On 1/27/2021 at 5:16 PM, qtpye said:

https://medium.com/illumination/pop-culture-analysis-ff8862841f65

How The Nightmare Families Of The Nineties Now Represent An Unattainable American Dream

This post mentions this show and the decline of American prosperity for the average family.

That article really misses the mark regarding Roseanne. It seems they had a thesis, and did not let evidence get in the way. The first five seasons of that show are a constant economic struggle for the family, capped off by the fifth season. Whatever the American dream supposedly is, Dan and Roseanne certainly did not achieve it in their early twenties.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:47 AM, DB in CMH said:

That article really misses the mark regarding Roseanne. It seems they had a thesis, and did not let evidence get in the way. The first five seasons of that show are a constant economic struggle for the family, capped off by the fifth season. Whatever the American dream supposedly is, Dan and Roseanne certainly did not achieve it in their early twenties.

I get your point but I understand what the author is saying.

The fact is that with high school degrees they were able to buy a house and start a family. They actually were fairly economically stable until the bike shop failed though they always made poor decisions. Dan even talks about how they really do not need Roseanne to work the day that she does not get the administrative job due to lack of computer skills.

If you define the American dream as owning your own home then that was achieved, though in The Connors we find out this fairly modest house has still not been paid off after 40 something years. 

Now many college educated Millennials have not achieved home ownership or the economic means to support a family by mid or late thirties. This generation has to deal with student loans, the declining value of a college education, the Great Recession, and now the Pandemic.

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 5

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210322abc09/

3x15 & 3x16 Episode Descriptions (back to back new episodes) airing April 7th at 9 & 9:30pm (et)

3x15: An Old Dog, New Tricks and a Ticket to Ride

Becky is working double shifts and taking classes at the community college, resulting in less time with her daughter, Beverly Rose. Meanwhile, Dan decides to foster an elderly dog. (TV-PG, DL)

Guest starring is Rene Rosado as Emilio, Nancy Linehan Charles as Hannah, Bud Galloway as Brian, Linda Bisesti as Mrs. Tilden and Jessica Harari as Lupe.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210322abc10/

3x16: A Fast Car, A Sudden Loss, and A Slow Decline

Darlene learns some shocking news about an old friend, and the Conners family comes together to help someone close to them.

Guest starring is Linda Bisesti as Mrs. Tilden.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ESS said:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210322abc09/

3x15 & 3x16 Episode Descriptions (back to back new episodes) airing April 7th at 9 & 9:30pm (et)

3x15: An Old Dog, New Tricks and a Ticket to Ride

Becky is working double shifts and taking classes at the community college, resulting in less time with her daughter, Beverly Rose. Meanwhile, Dan decides to foster an elderly dog. (TV-PG, DL)

Guest starring is Rene Rosado as Emilio, Nancy Linehan Charles as Hannah, Bud Galloway as Brian, Linda Bisesti as Mrs. Tilden and Jessica Harari as Lupe.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210322abc10/

3x16: A Fast Car, A Sudden Loss, and A Slow Decline

Darlene learns some shocking news about an old friend, and the Conners family comes together to help someone close to them.

Guest starring is Linda Bisesti as Mrs. Tilden.

I am happy to learn that Becky is finally back in school after 20 years...that is where she really excelled. Ironically, school was not Darlene's strong point even though she thought she was better than everybody because she had a degree from that art school in Chicago.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, Bastet said:
16 hours ago, ESS said:

Linda Bisesti as Mrs. Tilden

Molly and Charlotte's long-lost mom?  That was their last name.

That was my first thought! I thought their mom had died - but hey, maybe she took a shower like Patrick Duffy on Dallas and came back from the dead!

• LOL 2

3x17: Regrets, Rehabs and Realtors

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 14th

Dan encounters a surprise visitor who shares some unsolicited advice, leaving him feeling guilty. Meanwhile, Darlene welcomes a new employee to Wellman Plastics.  

Guest starring is Iris Bahr as Rachel, Helen Eigenberg as Jerri Lynn, Christopher Alvarenga as Carlos and Mia Hunt as Patrice.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210329abc09/

3x18:  Cheating, Revelations and A Box of Doll Heads

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 21

Mark is stressed and exhausted from studying for an important entrance exam so Darlene steps in to help, but her plan backfires.

Guest starring is Alexandra Billings as Robin, Iris Bahr as Rachel, Helen Eigenberg as Jerri Lynn, Andy Fitzgerald as Mr. Davis and Carleton W. Bluford as Seth.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/20210405abc09/

Promotional Photos for 3x17:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/03/the-conners-episode-317-regrets-rehabs.html

Promotional Photos for 3x18:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2021/04/the-conners-episode-318-cheating.html

• Love 1

Here's some spoilers for The Conners:

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on the 9-1-1s, Lucifer, Chicago Fire, The Conners, Zoey's Playlist, The Resident and More

Now that ABC’s Rebel has premiered, have we seen the last of Katey Sagal’s Louise on The Conners? –Dee

“There are some major events coming for Dan and Louise, as we come to the end of the season,” showrunner Bruce Helford recently shared with TVLine. Hmm, might that mean talk of marriage? And what about Darlene and Ben, whose relationship is on somewhat rocky ground? “I can say that there are lots of couples on the show [where] love is in bloom… or in decline of bloom,” said the EP. “But there will be events in all the relationships as we move towards the [finale].”

I really hope these spoilers from the writers mean that it's marriage for Dan & Louise or at least an engagement I'll take either one. I love them so much!! 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 3

I can see Dan proposing because he thinks that's the road all relationships are supposed to take, but I'd find it a lot more interesting if Louise told him she's very happy with their relationship and hopes it lasts, but she doesn't want marriage, or at least doesn't want to give up her place and live in a human zoo full-time.  Dan could stand having some of his assumptions successfully challenged at this stage of life.  TV is getting a little better about including alternatives to marriage and/or non-traditional marriages, and this would be a good candidate.  (On general principle, and especially because if Rebel continues Louise will continue to be absent from many episodes, and that will make more sense if they're not tied to a traditional spousal situation.)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I can see Dan proposing because he thinks that's the road all relationships are supposed to take, but I'd find it a lot more interesting if Louise told him she's very happy with their relationship and hopes it lasts, but she doesn't want marriage, or at least doesn't want to give up her place and live in a human zoo full-time.  Dan could stand having some of his assumptions successfully challenged at this stage of life.  TV is getting a little better about including alternatives to marriage and/or non-traditional marriages, and this would be a good candidate.  (On general principle, and especially because if Rebel continues Louise will continue to be absent from many episodes, and that will make more sense if they're not tied to a traditional spousal situation.)

She also probably does not want  the horrible debt and credit rating that Dan brings to the table.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I don't think even if Rebel continues that Louise will out of the show for many episodes because the writers are working around her schedule for Rebel so it sounds like to me that doesn't mean she'll be out for that many episodes maybe 2 or 3 at the most, but I guess it depends on how many you're talking about. But on the other hand you do make a good point on Louise herself and her wanting her own space and her wanting to keep her place because she can't handle being with all of those people all at once, we'll just have to see what happens. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

FTA: "There's a reason she's slept in the same bedroom for so many years." Um, she's in DJ's room, WTF?

They keep doing that on the show, too, with Ben talking about not wanting to live in her childhood bedroom.  Well, Ben, unless you go bunk with Harris and Mark, you're not.  (I mean, of course I take his general point, but it's another example of lazy writing in terms of continuity with the original series.)

• Love 4

According to promo at the end of last night’s episode, there are 2 episodes left and the show returns May 12, with presumably the finale on May 19 (The Futon Critic says the same)

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Dan is the only one who makes sense.  And my reaction to him and Louise getting engaged would be a resounding "eh, whatever", but my reaction to any other existing relationship resulting in engagement would be "WTF?".

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, bobalina said:

Didn't  Becky marry Emelio in Mexico?

Yes they did so Becky is out so I don't know why she's even in the promo to begin with.

2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think it's probably Dan and Louise.

Yes most likely and I'm gonna be so happy about that, but I've read there's going to be 2 marriage proposals not and just one. I don't know who the other one would be though. 

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, ESS said:

Yes most likely and I'm gonna be so happy about that, but I've read there's going to be 2 marriage proposals not and just one. I don't know who the other one would be though. 

Darlene and Ben?

• Love 1

I still think one of them is gonna be Dan & Louise because really it makes so much sense, plus not to mention the writers have said there’s gonna be storylines that involve Dan & Louise in the last few episodes leading to the finale. 

As for Ben & Darlene why would the writers suddenly give them an engagement when they are the couple having the most problems in their relationship? It makes no sense, but okay. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, ESS said:

As for Ben & Darlene why would the writers suddenly give them an engagement when they are the couple having the most problems in their relationship? It makes no sense, but okay. 

I could see Ben proposing as a final chance to see just how committed to him Darlene really is. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I could see Ben proposing as a final chance to see just how committed to him Darlene really is. 

That's... possible, but maybe she'll turn him down too? 

• Love 4

I hate it when writers hide things especially happy stuff.. but I guess I can understand why they do or have to.

As for Jackie I think it's too soon for her & Neville to be engaged, but who knows? they are the writers, not me so I guess it's...possible too. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 3

I really hope the writers give at least Dan & Louise the proposal/engagement because a lot of writers I know screw things up for my couples that I love/ship. But on the other hand I'm wondering if they don't get engaged then what is going to happen between them? because I know Katey is supposed to be around all season just not in every episode (obviously). I'd really hate to be wrong about Dan & Louise because I love them so much and I wouldn't want to be let down.  

• Love 4

3x19: Jeopardé, Sobrieté, and Infidelité (5/12)

Darlene makes a decision about her trip to Hawaii, leading to a heated encounter with Barb. Meanwhile, Becky gives a presentation on addiction to Mark’s class.

Guest starring is Candice Bergen as Barb, Katey Sagal as Louise, Estelle Parson as Bev, Nat Faxon as Neville and Brian Austin Green as Jeff. Aaron Rodgers as Jeopardy host.

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/the-conners-jeoparde-sobriete-and-infidelite-5-12/

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Giuseppe said:

So...what about Michael Fishman? Is DJ coming back? Kinda sad he's not considered part of the core cast.

I’m assuming he’ll be back too, but I’m guessing he still wants to be behind the scenes directing? 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Giuseppe said:

So...what about Michael Fishman? Is DJ coming back? Kinda sad he's not considered part of the core cast.

Right? It’s weird, I’m wondering if his absence is partly because his son died and half because he was directing. Either way, I think his character (and Mary) are way underutilized.  I could honestly do with less Darlene for a bit and more of him. Either way, I hope he is signed on for the next season too.

• Love 1

3x20: Two Proposals, a Homecoming and a Bear Press Release - Season Finale Airing May 19th

Big changes are coming for the Conners, with not one but TWO proposals. Plus, Jackie uses her “JEOPARDY!” infamy to her advantage on the season finale of “The Conners,” airing WEDNESDAY, MAY 19 (9:00-9:31 p.m. EDT), on ABC. (TV-PG, DL) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

Guest starring is Katey Sagal as Louise, Nat Faxon as Neville and Jack Laufer as Steve.

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/the-conners-two-proposals-a-homecoming-and-a-bear-5-19/

On 5/3/2021 at 3:19 PM, ESS said:

3x20: Two Proposals, a Homecoming and a Bear Press Release - Season Finale Airing May 19th

Big changes are coming for the Conners, with not one but TWO proposals. Plus, Jackie uses her “JEOPARDY!” infamy to her advantage on the season finale of “The Conners,” airing WEDNESDAY, MAY 19 (9:00-9:31 p.m. EDT), on ABC. (TV-PG, DL) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

Guest starring is Katey Sagal as Louise, Nat Faxon as Neville and Jack Laufer as Steve.

https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/the-conners-two-proposals-a-homecoming-and-a-bear-5-19/

If Neville's in this episode, it's probably because he's proposing to Jackie.  Your excitement may vary.  Louise is the logical shoe-in.  It just says two proposals, not engagements, and doesn't say who is doing the proposing.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

If Neville's in this episode, it's probably because he's proposing to Jackie.  Your excitement may vary.  Louise is the logical shoe-in.  It just says two proposals, not engagements, and doesn't say who is doing the proposing.

That’s true and I know all of that. My main excitement is because of Louise being back in the two remaining episodes as for weeks a lot of people have been saying she wouldn’t be returning again this season. Although yes I have to admit I’m also excited because of the possibility of Dan proposing to Louise. 

Edited by ESS
  • Love 1
On 5/6/2021 at 5:19 AM, ESS said:

It’s official The Conners is renewed For season 4 ❤️

The Conners Renewed For Season 4

Take THAT, Roseanne!!  She likely thought the show couldn't survive without her.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:25 PM, ESS said:

Katey will be extending her stay on The Conners ❤️ She’s confirmed it herself. 

Katey Sagal settles Rumors About Having To Quit The Conners For Rebel

Thank goodness, love Louise and Dan.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, Yogisbooboo64 said:

Take THAT, Roseanne!!  She likely thought the show couldn't survive without her.

Thank goodness, love Louise and Dan.

I love Dan & Louise as well they are so adorable!! ♥️

• Love 2