Type keyword(s) to search

S20.E02: Season Premiere (Part 2)

• Start Topic

BB is reminding of the movie Tron. That's not a good thing since it came out in 1982. Their high tech theme seems sooooooo old. Anyhoo, it's a pretty good cast and I like not having any vets for a season. I like Winston (and, his chest) side of the house for now but I'm not sure how long they will last. Sam is cute but i hope she survives and gets out of her robot suit soon. LOL!!!

• Love 2

Every time there is a new season, I always forget that they follow the same formula. Easy targets out first. I think what fools me is hearing people tout that they’re a “super fan”. I hear that and hope they will shake things up, like putting a target on Winston and Angela. I get that as a player, it’s different than me watching. But dammit, break up the pretty people aliance! I would LOVE to see the “weirdos” go further in the game rather than get knocked out in the first few weeks.

Sam is totally one of my favorites, and I hope she stays this week. It really is not fair she doesn’t get to play this week as a human and instead plays as a robot.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I despise this type of competition because invariably I root for the under dog, and the underdog always loses to the cliques.  The only time this comp is good, IMO, is when the pecking order is revealed within a clique, and it's way too soon to suss that out.

It's amazing to me how everything comes down to the high school experience.  The meat heads and bikini brigade always team up,  It seems almost instinctual.

Well the Cody and Jess season the pretty people initially teamed up but then it all went to crap and became divided with Cody and Jess on the outs and the other pretty folks being the rats to the pied piper, Paul. We all wished Paul wasn't there so we could see how everyone would play on their own and it likely would have been a pretty people VS underdogs. Maybe Swaggy can be the Paul and lure away some of the pretty people from that alliance.

• Love 1

I am very VERY annoyed with the whole "turning people into robots" punishment. I am actually SO annoyed that, if they keep doing that throughout the season, I may not continue to watch.  I know that sounds crazy, but I cannot explain how bad that whole thing annoyed me.  

• Love 4
(edited)
8 hours ago, Cutty said:

Too bad we didn't get an all star season.

I really enjoyed that D List Star season.  It was way more entertaining than I expected.  I'm fed up with this Techy format already and no one is interesting.  I think I'll check back half way through the season and see if things have improved.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 2

This show rarely fails to disappoint me, but in the first week? That's a rarity.  The Populars -- please, so tied. And Frank 2.0s noms -- so disappointing to me. I get it as a "least blood" move, I guess, reluctantly and under duress, but to nominate those two in particular bugs me personally. You're going to deprive us of Steve's many "I'm an undercover cop; I can read this situation perfectly!" moments, and then the events unfold to reveal he has not read the situation perfectly?  Samantha I can also see as potential future entertainment of the trainwreck variety (I do like her though--she seems sweet).

The special effects during meditation -- it's not my practice personally, but for many people meditation is an expression of their spirituality. The googly third eye and the beams of light effect seem ignorant and disrespectful.  Plus criminally unfunny, cheesy and cornball. Please stop.

• Love 8

Several have noted Kaitlyn's resemblance to Nicole Ritchie. To me she's channeling Amy Sedaris (aka Jerri Blank of Strangers with Candy). Jerri was a 45 year old ex-junkie/hooker/inmate who decided to go back to high school. Not saying that Kaitlyn is 45, but I also found her claim to be 24 a little confusing. Cop dude is creepy.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

Is JC a dwarf or just tiny?  Either way he's way odd and I'm afraid of his dance moves.  

High Maintenance, I thought I was the only one destined to Hell for my inner comments about JC....in my opinion he looks like a mini carrot and what's more he skeeves me the fuck out!

Anyway, some musings on the houseguests:

Kaitlyn and her 'aura' can get the hell of my screen ASAP!  Being a life coach is cool but the rest?  Nah, just no.  

I refuse to call a grown man 'Swaggy C'!  What in the bluedilly fuck?  He's cocky and annoying plus I hate when people speak of themselves in the third person.

Angela 'Rockstar' looks like Big Ethel's little sister on crack!  Now, I always root for the underdog but she's too weird for me to even give a damn so she can go too.

I don't like fitness Angela for reminding me of the snaggletoothed twat that was Christmas.

Samantha is adorable but the Andy Griffith speak has got...to...go.

Winston, Brett, Faysal and Scottie are the hunks of the season...Tyler's hair is just gross and he reminds me of Frank Eudy, which ain't a compliment.

Bayleigh looks so much better without makeup.

Kaycee reminds me of Natalie from BB11 (another shudder!)

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Cutty said:

If CBS wants a season of romance between attractive young people so badly why don't they just make a fucking dating show?

After Kevin's success and popularity last summer, I thought CBS would give another shot to a weird old(er) guy again. I think the show benefits from diversity in age.

It might not be so bad if the cast was young if they aren't *basic.*  It seems like there are a LOT of basic bros and bitches on this season. Especially bros. He may end up being a raging jerk, but one redeeming quality of Swaggy C is that he doesn't fit in with the bros and actually seems to treat the women like competitors and not just objects.

• Love 6

The special effects during meditation -- it's not my practice personally, but for many people meditation is an expression of their spirituality. The googly third eye and the beams of light effect seem ignorant and disrespectful.  Plus criminally unfunny, cheesy and cornball. Please stop.

This. 

They didn't just insult Kaitlyn, they insulted everyone in that room. Meditation as a spiritual practice predates Christianity, but I'm pretty damn sure they won't make fun of the Christians in the house. I expect that kind of prejudice and ignorance from certain other networks, not CBS.

Otherwise, the most promising surprise of the evening was Shaggy C's budding alliance of the not-as-conventionally-pretty-as-the-conventionally-pretty-people people. Also good to see him taking Bayleigh's advice and damping down the intensity when it's not appropriate. I'm definitely warming up to him - he's annoying but smart.

The special effects and scripted lines do take a lot of the fun out the proceedings. 

If they kick Sam off, this season will be off to a terrible start.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Gummo said:

Otherwise, the most promising surprise of the evening was Shaggy C's budding alliance of the not-as-conventionally-pretty-as-the-conventionally-pretty-people people. Also good to see him taking Bayleigh's advice and damping down the intensity when it's not appropriate. I'm definitely warming up to him - he's annoying but smart.

Yeah, it's his DR stuff that lets him down. As with most of them.

ghetto style speak

What, pray tell, is "ghetto style speak"?

I am very VERY annoyed with the whole "turning people into robots" punishment. I am actually SO annoyed that, if they keep doing that throughout the season, I may not continue to watch.  I know that sounds crazy, but I cannot explain how bad that whole thing annoyed me.   

It's not bothering me enough to make me stop watching--yet--but I do find it unusually cruel. Wonder if this is BB/CBS' way of either trying to jump on the big Westworld bandwagon/hype or making fun of the big Westworld bandwagon/hype?

• Love 6
(edited)

In this episode, didn't Sam attempt to quote the show's catchphrase expect the unexpected, but instead her words came out: "...they tell us not to expect anything." ? 

I like that latter phrase better. [/sarcasm]

Edited by K-9
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Jel said:

The special effects during meditation -- it's not my practice personally, but for many people meditation is an expression of their spirituality. The googly third eye and the beams of light effect seem ignorant and disrespectful.

ITA... as I said earlier would they put "wacky" sounds and effects in a montage of Faysal meditating/praying? I think (and hope!) not. This simply was not funny.

• Love 6

Whoa . . . I had instant dislike for Swaggy C in the first episode and now all of a sudden I think I might be changing my mind about him? It's that he formed an alliance with the weirdos instead of the cool kids I guess. It's unexpected. I sure as hell won't root for the Winston/Brett/Angela driven alliance.

I hope they aren't going to keep doing this "half the people are safe from nomination" all the way through because it smacks of blatant manipulation, and it's also boring. But I suspect we're stuck with this dumb new gimmick for the foreseeable future. 

I also hate that the first competition was one of those "gang up on the loser" where players have no real control over their own fate. Again, the whole thing smacks of producer manipulation to ensure the "wrong" person doesn't go home.

I hate to say it but I'm on the S(w)aggy side of things. Stop putting the weakest people up there first week. 

Agreed. I mean, I realize there's a temptation to nominate someone weak and minimize "blood on the hands" (God I'm sick of that expression) but when are they going to figure out you don't let physical powerhouses like Brett and Winston get further and further into the game? Nominating two non-entities who are threats to nobody is a throw-away move. 

God forbid. Another season of Paul? No thanks.

It's amazing to me how everything comes down to the high school experience.  The meat heads and bikini brigade always team up,  It seems almost instinctual.

That's because they keep casting the exact same people every year. If they had a truly diverse cast in terms of age, background, ethnicity and experience we'd see something different. That's not what CBS and/or Allison Grodner wants. They want the same assortment of 20-something bikini models and frat bros every summer. The oddballs and hicks are just thrown in for chum.

• Love 6
34 minutes ago, Pixiebomb said:

JC dances like the baby on Ally McBeal. 

O. M. G. You're right!

26 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

they keep casting the exact same people every year. If they had a truly diverse cast in terms of age, background, ethnicity and experience we'd see something different. That's not what CBS and/or Allison Grodner wants. They want the same assortment of 20-something bikini models and frat bros every summer.

Gee, it's almost as if the producers have no faith in their own game to be interesting and engaging on its own.

• Love 3

Gee, it's almost as if the producers have no faith in their own game to be interesting and engaging on its own.

Well, they've market-researched it to death and decided this was the formula that worked and these are the "types" people want to watch. It's the same with Survivor and The Amazing Race, you get the exact same cast of characters every single season, the only difference is the people who are playing them. 

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Well, they've market-researched it to death and decided this was the formula that worked and these are the "types" people want to watch. It's the same with Survivor and The Amazing Race, you get the exact same cast of characters every single season, the only difference is the people who are playing them. 

I know, and it's such a timid way to produce a show. I've railed against it regarding the other shows you mention too.

It also explains why the early seasons of these shows feel so much different -- they have "real" people on them.

• Love 6
(edited)
16 hours ago, mojoween said:

There is an epidemic in the house!  Multiple people are speaking in the third person!  It must stop.

THIS.  MAKE IT STOP.

And Saggy C?  You are not MY BOY, and Bayeleaighe is not MY GIRL.  Who are they talking to?  Do they think they've already captured America's hearts?

Can't any of these people come up with something that hasn't already been done 4872985790792857 times before?

Edited by laurakaye
  • Love 3

Hey everyone, just joined this site because of this show so I could go somewhere to talk about it.

Finally finished the second episode and I really like this cast so far. A lot of the people last season (plus the return of Paul) had me not really all that interested so I quit early. But this season seems a little different than the past two. Maybe it's because it's all new blood or maybe it's just optimism but I'm excited for this show again for once. I thought I was going to be annoyed by Swaggy C but the second episode made me like him more and I think I could really route for the group of five he's with if it turns out that's a legitimate alliance.

• Love 3
(edited)

I've watched every single episode beginning with season 1.  I haven't missed a thing.  But after the first 1-1/2 episodes this season, I think I might be out.  I'm going to watch 2 more episodes to be sure.  For it to be half-way interesting, they need a LOT more diversity in ALL areas.

EDITED TO ADD:   I can't  stand that  little CJ creature!  He has GOT to go!

Edited by slasherboy
  • Love 1
(edited)

To play on the brilliant Charro association maybe JC really stands for Junior Charro.

Also his "love" for how "sexy" the robot was because it was his size really skeeved me out. Dude is creepy.

Edited by Wandering Snark
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, slasherboy said:

I've watched every single episode beginning with season 1.  I haven't missed a thing.  But after the first 1-1/2 episodes this season, I think I might be out.  I'm going to watch 2 more episodes to be sure.  For it to be half-way interesting, they need a LOT more diversity in ALL areas.

EDITED TO ADD:   I can't  stand that  little CJ creature!  He has GOT to go!

He’s creepy to me, too. That said, I don’t think he’s going anywhere soon. He doesn’t seem to be bothering anyone from what I’ve seen. Of course, I don’t watch the live feeds or read spoilers. I guess we’ll know more next week how he and the other HG are trending. That might keep in the house even longer if he has fans and/or detractors.  

(edited)

We are stuck in a game of pong.

I am fine with Sam going.  Sure she is sweet and a genuinely nice person but she offers little as far as drama/interest goes.  I like Steve so far and want to see if anyone catches onto his job; he has narc tattooed on his forehead.  It sure looks like he is doomed though. 

Edited by Wings
(edited)
2 hours ago, Wings said:

We are stuck in a game of pong.

I am fine with Sam going.  Sure she is sweet and a genuinely nice person but she offers little as far as drama/interest goes.  I like Steve so far and want to see if anyone catches onto his job; he has narc tattooed on his forehead.  It sure looks like he is doomed though. 

What do you expect from a robot?  Wait until she becomes a human again and then see.

Also I love her because so far anyway she is NOT into "drama" which I hate hate hate on this show.  I do NOT watch BB for the crappy soap opera "drama" divas.

Edited by green
  • Love 4
On 6/28/2018 at 9:18 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I have to feel bad for Sam this week. This is not a good week for her. Hey Angela (I think it was Angela and not Kaitlyn), what a lame ass reason to target poor Sam. "She's a weak competitor and we never bonded so she's gotta go from this comp". Uh....what? Are you stupid? This is the second questionable move you've made in strategy! You don't decide to target a weak player, and also, Sam never bonded with you BECAUSE she lost the first comp that got her isolated for hours, stuck as a robot, and now unable to really campaign for herself half the time, as she's a freaking robot.

Like I said, my previous opinions can change with a houseguest. It's not that these people are actually bad people, but I'm not here for the Populars vs the Outcasts with the outsiders stuck without alliances for the first two weeks. I know it'll implode sooner rather than later, but I'm sick of the cliches. Rachel, to my surprise, is alright. She did get to comfort Sam while she was human. Kaycee is a non-entity, so I really have no opinion of her.

Bayleigh can also stuff it. I would not care if she got evicted first. She decides to pick a fight with Tyler when he puts a ball in her tube. Literally, the moment he does that, she acts like he stabbed her in the back. Girl, you've known the guy for a couple of days. He owes you nothing! She's really acting like a spoiled brat, and I really wanted to like her. But non-DR Bayleigh is irritating me as much as DR Bayleigh is.

Seriously, Tyler, you better get the chance to backdoor someone and I hope it's the right choice, here. 

Also, one last thing. TYLER, SAM DID NOT FALL IN THAT COMPETITION. SHE WAS TARGETED TO BE ELIMINATED FIRST. 

Right? Poor Sam was trying her hardest and not doing poorly. It felt like they were all picking on her. I don't blame her for being upset. 

I like Bayleigh more outside the DR. She feels like she is "on" in the DR (maybe a remnant from her pageant days) but that argument was the dumbest thing ever and I do not understand why she didn't list say: "sorry. My competitive nature got to me in the heat of the moment." Maybe it got buried in the 750 "likes" she was saying. But also, dude you targeted her, and you know you did it and you explained you did it so you could beat her, so don't get all offended that she saw that and was upset that you went after her while you were still working to get someone else out. 

On 6/28/2018 at 9:44 PM, North of Eden said:

I kind of do feel Samantha overreacted about getting the balls in her tube...plenty of others did too...it was the nature of the game. Saying she was being ostracized might have been a bit overblown (based on evidence shown on screen) anyway at the end of the day I kind want to see her and Tyler hook up.

So, the inevitable "Bro-ing Up" has begun.

I kinda get it. She just met these people and she has been given a punishment and targeted first and aggressively. She is also stuck watching a lot of what is going on on a screen. We didn't see a lot if interaction with her and she certainly wasn't offered an alliance. 

The popular kids always do this, so at least they included women this time, I guess?

On 6/28/2018 at 11:51 PM, Cutty said:

SHHHHHHH! Don't remind TBTP that they can bring back Paul for a third time. 

On 6/29/2018 at 4:28 AM, amazingracefan said:

The point of competitions, like immunity in Survivor, is that it should give individuals a chance to save themselves.  When this is disrupted by allowing people to work together it damages the game.  This happens on The Amazing Race as well when they allow co-operation at challenges against some outsider it ruins the balance.  And good entertainment is when it isn't one sided.

Agreed. There can be value in this type of competition later (for example, the year everyone tried to get Janelle(?) out but she ended up going over and winning. This early, people don't have strategy beyond "try not to get noticed."

15 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

To play on the brilliant Charro association maybe JC really stands for Junior Charro.

Also his "love" for how "sexy" the robot was because it was his size really skeeved me out. Dude is creepy.

I actually think JC is entertaining. I don't really get the hate. Also his comment about the robot made me laugh after Sam said she would be into him if he wasn't gay. Star-crossed lovers. Hehe. 

Unsurprisingly going after the perceived weak targets makes for boring TV,  but I do get it. Coming out with guns blazing hasn't worked well in the past. It's too early to know if these initial alliances are going to last beyond the first HOH, so it makes sense to take the boring road. The cast is still not annoying me too much. Even Rockstar who drove me sorta bananas in the first episode is growing on me. Swaggy C actually impressed me by chilling and meditating. I still think he isn't the brightest crayon in the box, but we will see. The group HOH talk wasn't the best move IMO. You are pretty much signaling you have an alliance. I might have planned multiple one on ones. 

• Love 1

I read somewhere that in one recent season of one of these shows - either Survivor or Big Brother - none of the contestants were selected from an audition tape. They were all referred to the show by casting agents. I guess there are casting agents who specialize in fameballs? And I bet there is a lot of fameball-networking....hang out at Mike Boogie's bar enough and become friends with him, and maybe he'll make a call to a friend for you.  (I don't know if that actually happens, but would not be surprised if it does.)

And yeah those early seasons were fun. More older people, diversity in backgrounds, occupations, etc. (Not so much racial diversity though...a problem that's still around.)

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mumbles said:

I read somewhere that in one recent season of one of these shows - either Survivor or Big Brother - none of the contestants were selected from an audition tape. They were all referred to the show by casting agents. I guess there are casting agents who specialize in fameballs? And I bet there is a lot of fameball-networking....hang out at Mike Boogie's bar enough and become friends with him, and maybe he'll make a call to a friend for you.  (I don't know if that actually happens, but would not be surprised if it does.)

And yeah those early seasons were fun. More older people, diversity in backgrounds, occupations, etc. (Not so much racial diversity though...a problem that's still around.)

Mactors (wannabe future triple z list actors and/or models) already have agents who then talk to the casting agents.  These types want "exposure" to help them in their "careers."  It doesn't ever work but these types are fame whores by definition and can't not want to bore us on these shows.  Casting agents are lazy and mactor agents give them pretty bodies who know how to preen and bring corny soap opera drama and -- on BB anyway -- will even embarrass their moms forever by having sex on the live feeds in front of the whole planet without the casting agents having to lift their fingers to do any work.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

yeah, I find it annoying to hear all the "screams" and "gasps" when twists are announced.  they all sound like a bunch of high school girls (although, I think the high school girls would be cooler).  it's so incredibly fake and attention seeking. and they all have their diary room "personas" figured out before they get there.
"

• Love 5

The thing is - I don’t want these attention whores and wannabe celebrities playing my big brother. I want normal, genuine people to play. Not fake, thought out personas. I don’t want people to be acting. I want them to be themselves. 

I don’t even get it. These people are wasting their time. Big brother is no jumping board to fame. 

Also, the type casting is getting on my nerves.

• Love 5

I almost turned the TV off when Bayleigh talked to the camera calling herself "your girl." It was bad enough with Paul. If she keeps it up, I'm done with the tv shows. 

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/28/2018 at 11:24 PM, Mumbles said:

The one thing I’ve learned about this show is to never pick people to root for/hate based on the first few episodes. 

Copy THAT.  To a large extent I’m hoping a lot of the asshattery flying around is simply some of the “just playing my character role” stuff we usually see from some at the start of the season, because that usually burns out of them pretty damn quick.

On 6/29/2018 at 1:31 PM, Gummo said:

Gee, ya think?  :(

Edited by Nashville
Expansion